PDA

View Full Version : 2v2 Competition

onlykpop
30th November 2011, 11:06 PM
Hi all!

So I am new to this wipeout forum and am still getting use to it, so forgive me if I sound like I don't know what im talking about. :|

Me and my friend ozzy were wondering if anyone would be interested in a 2v2 competition.

Here is what I had in mind:

-2 teams
-all tracks forward and reverse
-Team mates do not attack eachother
-If either team mate is in the lead and wins the race that is a win for the team
-No changing team mates unless you absolutely have to
-No slowing down to attack your opponent (i have seen many people do this).

-5 points per win (so each race is a 5 point race)

If this actually works to make it fair I am only opening the competition to pilots LEVELS 40-70.

COMPETITION WILL TAKE PLACE IN DECEMBER DEPENDING IF THIS WORKS OR NOT!

IF ANYONE HAS ANYTHING THEY WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO THIS TO MAKE IT MORE FAIR IN ANYWAY PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE! I AM OPEN TO ANY CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM :) :) :)

SoA_Booney
30th November 2011, 11:36 PM
i like the idea man, a nice 2v2 competition will be good fun :) only problems i see is the levels limit on the participants, surely the more the merrier? surely it would be moe fun racing with the so called elite pilots too :) also with the points, why not just play it in a tournament fashion and count the overall points? this way teams wont be simpy one player specific if one is always winning but it will be a team effort to win :)
apart from that it sounds cool :)

Oryx Crake
1st December 2011, 12:12 AM
Well boon, to be fair the online level doesn't really count for much. those who're really good at online level 90+ were most likely very good at online level 65 too. To be honest though that only gives more credence to your argument.

I don't mind having a decent lower limit though as that would possibly rid you of newbies. On the other hand you'd most likely not find many people on here with an online level below 35.

I'd be up for it if I could find a good partner though :)

Also I think you might want to think about making the format slightly smaller as 24 tracks takes a long time to get through and in order to get people to participate you'd most likely want the matches to be easy to get through. So that if you had a competition you could have more than one per night if you have an event going for example.

Very good to take the initiative though Kpop :)

onlykpop
1st December 2011, 02:35 AM
Hey thanks alot for the feedback you guys! I really appreciate it and you all have already said things that will deff. help me edit come of the tournement rules.

First off, about the lvl issue. Me and my partner ozzy would be open to racing against any lvl pilots. I was just thinking that some of the lower lvl pilots would find it unfair racing against lvl 90+. But since the majority of this forum is higher lvl racers, i will edit it to be OPEN TO ALL RACERS!

About teams per race. I was thinking we could assign 2 teams to 5 forward races for the first round, 5 rev races for the second round, and final round would be all 5 forward and rev races with the winning teams of each round racing in the final round. (if this sounds confusing please feel free to share your own idea so i can make a final decision)

I NEED INSIGHT FROM MY OTHER WONDERFUL RACER MATES!! :) THANKS!!!

Colonel
1st December 2011, 08:35 AM
It's a nice idea mate, and as Oryx says, well done for taking the initiative. We need more people throwing challenges open to the forum. I would mention though that there is a 2vs2 thread here http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7816, which has gone pretty quiet of late. I'm not trying to knock your idea however, just pointing out a similar concept. I'm always up for a match anyway.

And get ozzy to sign up here, I tried to get him to a while back but he messed it up somehow :lol

Archon
1st December 2011, 08:38 AM
I'm interested. I am in the same timezone as you, onlykpop, so anytime you're online to race, let's go! I'm on anywhere from 8pm to 4am, haha.

As for the tournament, I think a smaller format would work best. Something like both teams pick four tracks, two with weapons and two without. This lets people choose which tracks they like, not have to worry about forward or reverse or doing both, and allows a pacifist race as well as a carnage race! If both teams pick the same track, that's cool; just race it twice.

I don't know what speed class to run for this, or what the tie-breaker should be. Since it's tough enough to get two people together, I say for a team race let's keep it casual and have short 8-race tournaments.

R3BU5ER
1st December 2011, 10:44 AM
I do have to go with colonel_gadaffi on this. It's a really good initiative, and a different concept,but there already is a 2vs2 thread which is sort of dead. You will notice what a pain in te ass it's going to be to get 4 people on the same time at the same place (trust me) I like the concept though, I think it should be open to all levels, cause online level don't mean **** IMO. So if this goes through, I will race. But with who? :rock

D_1998_BR
1st December 2011, 11:06 AM
I'm in!
Just make it a 8-12 race tournament and count the result of both players on a Team (Ex: P1 scored 46 points and P2 scored 58, this comes to a grand total of: 104 points!)

And Oryx,you up for teaming with me?

Oryx Crake
1st December 2011, 11:09 AM
You know I just had an idea. It might be too big a scope but if you're making it a competition why not combine it with ozone. say a short tournament that either goes for a day or over the span of say 2 events. Make the matches shorter (short enough that you can do 3 matches in a day say) perhaps there is even a chance to resurrect the Xpand league spiritually in a sense that way.

Sure D ^_^

Oh and I suggest taking the Idea for a test run before making your mind up about the exact rules.

R3BU5ER
1st December 2011, 12:16 PM
I actually think the scoring is a good idea, in a tennis-double match, for example, the winning team wins, no matter who scores. Plus that is what makes this a different concept IMO. Maybe you should give points for second place too.

Colonel
1st December 2011, 01:49 PM
I'll team up with you if you like, R3BU5ER. Seeing as we always seem to be against each other it would be a nice change :)

Oh and Oryx, I'm definitely up for incorporating it into Ozone. Not sure if we'll be able to do one in December though, I'm pretty busy in the run up to Christmas. An Ozone event I mean, I can always find a couple of hours for a match like this.

R3BU5ER
1st December 2011, 02:30 PM
Sure Adam, fine with me! :+

Olivario
1st December 2011, 04:15 PM
I like the idea, I would participate. And nice to see you here "k" :)

onlykpop
1st December 2011, 05:13 PM
Hey you guys!

So this is way difficult then i thought it was gonna be lol. Forgive me for taking initiative and failing haha but i am determined to try and make this work!! :l (the least i want is for me to F up the tourney and you guys hate me forever :O )

Teams so far (could change not permenant 2v2 teams yet)

onlykpop + ozzy

Oryx Crake + D_1998_BR

R3BU5ER + Colonel__Gaddafi

Challenger #001 + UB3R-BRENDAGE

SoA_Booney + oliver_fighter7

:D EXAMPLE FORMAT :D

4 TEAMS race PHANTOM WITH PILOT ASSIST OFF weapons on: Vineta k forward, Anulpha forward THEN weapons off: Chengun forward, metropia forward

Prize for 1st place team.........YOU WINNN!!!!! :D :D HAHA!!

I think it was a good idea to keep this a short little tourney. That way we could prob do like 2 or 3 a day and just have fun racing in team/tourney style :)

Thanks so much foe being patient with me you guys I wanna make this happen :) If i hav estill made an eror please correct me i will greatly appreciate it! Thnx :) :) :)

trackripper
1st December 2011, 06:07 PM
Can I just point out that online rank means very little?
I'm rank 22, which is noob rank compared to everyone here, and while I might not be as good as the elite, I can give people like Ragsus Maxima and Colonel here a run for their money :P So it really doesn't mean anything.

Sounds like a great idea though, I would be all for it if I could find the time which is eluding me recently...

onlykpop
1st December 2011, 06:44 PM
Can I just point out that online rank means very little?
I'm rank 22, which is noob rank compared to everyone here, and while I might not be as good as the elite, I can give people like Ragsus Maxima and Colonel here a run for their money :P So it really doesn't mean anything.

Sounds like a great idea though, I would be all for it if I could find the time which is eluding me recently...

Hi trackripper!

Yes i completely understand what you are saying! Many elite racers under estimate me too ;) I have had many races with people lvl 70+ who i have easily beat hehe!!

I hope you can find the time and a partner :)

SoA_Booney
1st December 2011, 10:42 PM
me and oliver fighter were thinking of teaming up so thats 4 teams that i know of :)
is there any chance that each team could choose 2 races, weapons on/off of their choice? might be more tactical that way ;)

onlykpop
1st December 2011, 11:07 PM
me and oliver fighter were thinking of teaming up so thats 4 teams that i know of :)
is there any chance that each team could choose 2 races, weapons on/off of their choice? might be more tactical that way ;)

Hey Booney!

Yes each team can pick 2 races! :)

Archon
1st December 2011, 11:17 PM
I like the idea of 1st place snagging the race win for the team. This would differentiate the match style from challenger001's 2v2 casuals as it wouldn't rely on points. This would just be four frantic, quick-and-dirty races!

onlykpop
1st December 2011, 11:19 PM
I like the idea of 1st place snagging the race win for the team. This would differentiate the match style from challenger001's 2v2 casuals as it wouldn't rely on points. This would just be four frantic, quick-and-dirty races!

They will most definitely be very fun, INTENSE races too ;)

Challenger #001
2nd December 2011, 08:54 AM
So is this going to be a Round Robin tournament (everyone plays everyone)? Or a full on elimination tournament?

Also, UB3R-BRENDAGE and I are a team.

onlykpop
2nd December 2011, 04:20 PM
So is this going to be a Round Robin tournament (everyone plays everyone)? Or a full on elimination tournament?

Also, UB3R-BRENDAGE and I are a team.

Hi Challenger!

This is all just for fun and games :) I dont think it will be elimination. Just you and your team mate against everyone else. And whichever team has the most points in the end (using the tournament point system) will be the winning team :)

Challenger #001
2nd December 2011, 05:59 PM
So Round Robin then. Everyone plays everyone.

UB3R~JKP
2nd December 2011, 08:15 PM
Can't wait to get back on teh tracks. ;)

onlykpop
2nd December 2011, 09:04 PM
Can't wait to get back on teh tracks. ;)

Me tooo! I have been deprived because of school... :(

UB3R~JKP
2nd December 2011, 09:56 PM
:( School does that.

onlykpop
4th December 2011, 12:26 AM
Hey Everyone!

HERE ARE TEAMS SO FAR!!! (With team names)

onlykpop + ozzy3647 = The American O's

Oryx Crake + D_1998_BR = The Torpedoes

R3BU5ER + Colonel__Gaddafi

Challenger #001 + UB3R-BRENDAGE = The Cloudsdale Crashers

SoA_Booney + oliver_fighter7 = oliver_booney7

If you are interested in 2v2 please get a team mate so we can have our first test run in mid December!!! :)

Challenger #001
4th December 2011, 09:30 AM
Should we have team names?

onlykpop
12th December 2011, 07:39 PM
Challenger thanks for mentioning that! Yes team names would be cool. I know me and ozzy already have one.

D_1998_BR
16th December 2011, 06:55 PM
Well,how about a Groups like form? 4 groups and 16 teams,if we can get so many people on (which isn't so hard!)
Would be like this:

||Group A||----||Group B||----||Group C||----||Group B||
Team 1 ||----||Team 5||----||Team 9||----||Team 13||
Team 2 ||----||Team 6||----||Team 10||---||Team 14||
Team 3 ||----||Team 7||----||Team 11||---||Team 15||
Team 4 ||----||Team 8||----||Team 12||---||Team 16||

Each team takes on everyone in the group their on,and the best team from each group advances (Example: Team 3 gathers 90 points,which is more than all the others from group A so they advance and take on the best team on Group B)

And then we have the finals...More people,More matches,Less effort ^^

You need to take on 5 teams to be the champion (the other 3 from the group,the semi-finalist team and the finalist)

Runner-Up match: the two losing teams on semi-finals face eachother to see who's third.

The rest that got eliminated on the groups phase are ranked on how many points they got from racing other teams.If it happens to have a tie on the scores here they face eachother for the position :)

If you need better explaining,just ask me ;)

D_1998_BR
16th December 2011, 07:02 PM
C'mon! Haven't we had enough "Who-is-the-best-Phantom-Elite-Player-in-the-whole-universe"ish tournaments yet? The game has 4 classes,and Venom is the hardest to master,imo.the barrel rolls are way easier on phantom than on venom,since you get more air from jumps,while in Venom you need to know what to do and when to do stuff.

Flash races are a weapons-paradise

Rapier is probably the best speed class,due to it's fast enough to players crash on walls,but slow enough so that you can still see people 1 second ahead of you and shoot them with a missile.

D_1998_BR
16th December 2011, 07:04 PM
Sorry for posting so much,but i forgot to say this:

I told my friend sethbird33 about this and he said he's in.Not sure about TarquinFarqhuar tho.

The teams can be either like this for me:

1.D_1998_BR and Oryx_Crake,sethbird33 and TarquinFarqhuar
2.Oryx_Crake and sethbird33,D_1998_BR and TarquinFarqhuar
3.D_1998_BR and sethbird33,Oryx_Crake and TarquinFarqhuar

You choose,kpop!

Challenger #001
17th December 2011, 03:30 PM
Wasn't aware it -had- to be Phantom races. I'd be picking Zone Battles if Uber was OK with them - but we're going with Phantom races because that's what we're comfortable with.

Oryx Crake
17th December 2011, 03:46 PM
whats going on here? O.o I turn my back for a second and now I'm confused XD I mean I'm up for most things really but maybe we should agree on a format?

Like say: either an all-round thing i.e. weapons on/off all speed classes allowed and all modes (like the HD cup) OR all sr weps on in one specific speed class (in which case I gotta tell you that most people will most likely want that class to be phantom) OR all weaps off races... etc.

just so long as we're clear on the format. As for the tournament "format" a round-robin as chall called it suits me fine means everyone gets to play as much as everyone else and there's less chance of lag and other forms of buggery knocking anyone out unfairly.

D_1998_BR
21st December 2011, 01:42 PM
Me and Oryx_Crake came up with (dun-dun-dun-duuuuunnnn) "The Torpedoes" >:3

If it's okay for you,kpop,I can arrange more people and make a logo/board/whatever and help organizing matches.

leungbok
21st December 2011, 04:55 PM
C'mon! Haven't we had enough "Who-is-the-best-Phantom-Elite-Player-in-the-whole-universe"ish tournaments yet? The game has 4 classes,and Venom is the hardest to master,imo.the barrel rolls are way easier on phantom than on venom,since you get more air from jumps,while in Venom you need to know what to do and when to do stuff

Please, no more of that, it's becoming really boring !! :rolleyes:

And just for your knowledge, BRs at phantom have a very short timing and you must do the input at lightspeed and right after adjust your line !! Using more the sideshifting at slower classes needs also skills ! So let's say it's a draw, ok !!

Archon
22nd December 2011, 03:43 PM
Total time for a single 99-Speed-Laps session is the only time that matters :cowboy :cold :bat :clap :brickwall :donut

onlykpop
23rd December 2011, 06:37 AM
Ok you guys,

So, sorry I am not so organized here. But im gonna go ahead and try to set up a test run right after I get everyones race requests. For now (just for the test run), lets just stick with:

-Phantom
-Tournament
-Each team picks 2 races (does not matter if they are repeated races that another team picked)
-weapons on

I will record points based on the tournament point system. Please forgive me if im a mess but I am trying to be as organized as possible (as this is my first time setting up one of these events)

EACH TEAM PICK 2 TRACKS!!! LEAVE YOUR REQUESTS HERE!!!!!!! AFTER I GET TRACKS I WILL ASK ABOUT THEY DAY AND TIME EVERYONE IS FREE!!!!

Thanks for cooperating and being patient with me you guys! This wil be exciting if it works out! If it does not....er.....we will have fun either way haha! :)

SycoMosh
23rd December 2011, 05:36 PM
hmm.. im a fatty, so can i be my own 2 man team? :D

kit wit me n lemme know if / when this is gonna go down, maybe we can do some dry runs since we basically hang n the same circle n see how it feels and possibly tweek it if u think somethin could be more exciting etc...

but sorry k... if the opportunity comes, you know i cant resist slowin down to blast u :D

ur only 0.1 behind me, and slowing down a notch to shoot you helps buffer that margin, and since im probably the worst of the regs, i need every advantage i can get :D

onlykpop
23rd December 2011, 09:24 PM
AND ONE OTHER THING!!Slowing down to blast an opponent wil be an AUTIMATIC DISQUALIFICATION!!!!!!

So Ben, if you would like to be disqualified then be my guest :)

Challenger #001
23rd December 2011, 09:39 PM
What about team orders? UB3R and I (The Cloudsdale Crashers) were experimenting on using Skype to keep in contact. Is that forbidden?

onlykpop
24th December 2011, 03:34 AM
I would be fine with using skype. But im not sure how others would feel. It may be a little difficult too. If we are on skype we could have lagging in the game.

SycoMosh
24th December 2011, 08:38 PM
lol thats not cool MILES... but i rarely do it anyway so im safe :D

maybe this is a stupid idea, but i was thinking...

how about teams race til the final team...

then...

ONLY ONE WINNER..... the teammates who won MUST RACE TO THE DEATH... lol

onlykpop
3rd January 2012, 09:49 PM
Hey everyone!

So i am sorry to say that this event will not work. I did not get any replies as to what times everyone will be free so i can set up a practice run. This would have been fun if it worked out, but now it is too late because i have to return to school on sunday the 15th :( My last week of racing for a while will be the 8th to the 14th (aka Ozone tournyyy :D) so i hope to see you all on wipeout!!!!!!

Colonel
4th January 2012, 07:03 AM
Sorry Miles. I was up for this but I spoke to R3 over Christmas and he's got a lot on at the moment, he's not really playing Wipeout right now. Apologies for not letting you know.