PDA

View Full Version : Game vs download?

JABBERJAW
20th November 2011, 01:53 PM
Will the downloaded games load faster than the purchased game at a store on a vita?

Also, at what speed will the vita run for the psp games?

MrSmadSmartAlex
20th November 2011, 06:10 PM
Unless Sony use really crappy flash memory for their game cards and much faster memory cards are available, loading times should be the same. ;)

I seriously doubt that Sony will allow Pure or Pulse to run at 333mhz, even though there's no good reason why not. They'd have done so already if they were ever going to, as they already unlocked 333mhz for newer games. I hope I'm wrong and they surprise me, though.

kaori
20th November 2011, 06:12 PM
I think with the new game cartridges, the loading times will be the same, PSN version or cartridge.

F.E.I.S.A.R
21st November 2011, 01:51 AM
This seems like a throwback into the cartridge days,just that now,cartridges have more space....

amplificated
21st November 2011, 10:23 AM
Just to clarify a bit on what MSSA said, it depends on the internal bus speed and the flash quality Sony are using for the console's games.

If Sony are being cheap with the flash they are putting games on, it's unlikely they invested in a faster bus than that.
All accounts appear that the flash is low quality (and that's not surprising - it needs to be cheap to make it affordable), so it's unlikely the bus is very fast.

There's a chance that it is, but I wouldn't count on it.

The download is pretty good news, really - I was thinking of getting the game when I go to Japan in December, but I'm not staying 'til the 19th of Jan; so now I can just get the system and wait for the game to come out and DL it then. So, if I do end up getting it I guess I'll let you know...

Temet
28th November 2011, 08:41 AM
Taking into account 8Go memory card is 45$ ... I will avoid to download games on the PSN onto the memory cards!
This proprietary card system really pisses my off, I even wonder if I'll get this console after all (Wipeout is the only game I'm interested in to play on portable device)

leungbok
28th November 2011, 09:27 AM
This proprietary card system really pisses my off
First psp used a systeme of memory cards usable on other devices. What was the result ? Lot of piracy !!
All the consoles had their proprietary systems for the games, so what's the problem with the vita's memory cards ? I just don't get it ! Those cards must be considered as game's cartridges, that's all, not as a data stockage for cameras or whatever !

Temet
28th November 2011, 10:03 AM
In the history of PSP, very few breaches came from the memory card. I only remember one or two (and currently, they are not needed).
I really doubt this choice is about piracy, but only about making money.

Take into account that the removal of the foreseen internal storage has been a huge disapointement for me...

And you consider them as game cartridge, fine. But...
- game cartridge with a game : 45$
- memory card 8Go without a game : 45$

Hum, really nothing wrong? :p

SD cards are more or less the norm now, almost everybody already has some, they are cheap... don't tell me it wouldn't have been better for everybody to have SD cards... except Sony of course! :g

PSVita was supposed to be a super powered device. When I got it in my hands, it felt cheap. I'm starting to wonder if the price is not high after all... except if :
- web browser doesn't suck (i.e. not like on PSP and PS3);
- media player doesn't suck (i.e. like the previous i.e.).

Indeed, the screen is nice and it's a touchscreen. So really suitable to web browsing or PMP-like usage.

amplificated
28th November 2011, 12:31 PM
I don't think memory cards were much of a problem with the PSP, but they're the prime means of piracy on the DS/3DS. However, I think letting piracy get in the way of a person's experience is one of the worst things you can do... There are other solutions.

Blaey
28th November 2011, 01:55 PM
"Take into account that the removal of the foreseen internal storage has been a huge disapointement for me..."

they never said it would have internal storage...

and remember that when the psp was released the memory stick pro duo dropped in price after a few years so I'd say go for physical copies until the memory sticks have dropped in price. I plan to get either an 8 or 16GB card until the price goes down.

kaori
28th November 2011, 06:58 PM
I bought the PSP day 12, 249€ with a memory stick of 32 Mo. Four times larger than the PS2 Memory Card ! But not enough for the Pure DLC.
1 Go costed me 80€ !

For PSVita memory card, price are :
20€-4 Go
35€-8 Go
50€-16 Go

It seems me correct. Higher than SD card of course (1-2€ by Go), but Sony might think about piracy.

The 4 Go card will be sufficient for one or two games. After you should manage the files with your computer or your PS3.

But with the new policy of the purchases on the PS Store, 2 activations per game, Sony and other sellers will have to find a new avantage for the download of the games, like prices really lower or preview sales.

Blaey
28th November 2011, 07:32 PM
For PSVita memory card, price are :
20€-4 Go
35€-8 Go
50€-16 Go

The 4 Go card will be sufficient for one or two games. After you should manage the files with your computer or your PS3.

yeah forgot there was a 4gb card so I'll probably get either that or the 8gb one.

also it's GB (gigabyte) not GO :) unless that's a translation problem!

kaori
28th November 2011, 11:29 PM
Yes I am always wrong between Gb & Go.

Temet
29th November 2011, 08:22 AM
Go is French for GB.
Are you sure for the prices Kaori? Generally, 1$ = 1€ for this kind of thing.
(yeah $ people... not fun)

Darkdrium777
30th November 2011, 01:44 AM
I'm hoping there will be a micro-SD to whatever format the PSVita memory card will be called adapter.

Darkdrium777
30th November 2011, 04:37 PM
Sons of bitches, they've made them as small as microSD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=u9xPMA_qy58#t=5m43s). **** them. I bet it's gonna be 120$ for the equivalent of a class 4 micro SD.

Meanwhile... (http://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-Signature-MicroSDHC-Memory-PSF32GMCSDHC10/dp/B004H8FTCU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322674759&sr=8-3)

amplificated
1st December 2011, 12:35 AM
So, I guess the download is more likely slower than the regular flash cart. Great. ~10MB/s sustained read speed in all likelihood for official media... That's terrible. Fine for saves, but games - not a chance.

Darkdrium777
1st December 2011, 12:51 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm still kind of pissed off that they've gone out of their way to make sure no alternative options are available to consumers so that they once again have a monopoly over this product, but I'm hoping still that the cards will be fast. If they aren't it's a giant middle finger to everyone though.

TheFrostE
4th December 2011, 02:34 AM
when i bought my psp i bought it for games...put a game in, play it... i didnt use any other features really. But with Vita i feel like i really am going to want to utilize everything it has to offer so i will end up being a consumer whore and buying a huge card for it :p

Sch@dows
20th December 2011, 12:50 PM
games bought on cards seems to load faster than games bought on PSN and store on memory card.

It could be for several reasons, like the game card are optimized for reading (only a few games allow to store saves on the game card), or if the game card bus has priority over memory card bus, it could also be because le memory card speed suck or because content loaded from memory card is being checked very often to prevent piracy ...

But in the end, having the game card load faster, being generally cheaper than PSN prices (just comapre PSN and amazon.co.jp prices ... dammit Sony!), and without needing large memory card ... I don't really the interest of PSN version.

Mad-Ice
2nd January 2012, 01:34 PM
Does anyone know if Wipeout 2048 will be downloadable from the Japanese PSN on the day of launch, 19 Jan?

gmrtom7
2nd January 2012, 01:59 PM
Does anyone know if Wipeout 2048 will be downloadable from the Japanese PSN on the day of launch, 19 Jan?

As far as I know, Sony's trying to have day-and-date digital releases of all Vita games, so it's likely that you'll see a similar treatment with 2048.

Mad-Ice
2nd January 2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks, I will be looking into my options to get a VITA with Japanese PSN card here before the launch of 2048 :)