PDA

View Full Version : Something I'd like to see: "reset waypoints"

asdfffdsa
17th November 2011, 07:01 PM
This doesn't apply to any particular Wipeout. It's essentially just an idea that's been in the back of my mind for a long time and this is the first time I'm sharing it. I'm certain others have considered this too.

I like to spend time mastering and concentrating on a particular track, and often there are a few "key" areas of the track that are most difficult to master (with the remainder usually being pretty manageable on any occassion). However, what becomes a time-waste after a while (IMO at least) is that my main concerns are only a few sections of the track, but I spend the majority of my time just traversing the remainder. What I'd like to see is the capacity to repeatedly practice a particular section of the track without having to traverse the entire length just to get to that spot again (which is actually less of a hassle than turning the ship around, IMO at least).

I understand that mastering a track truly consists of optimizing every meter of it, but certainly it would be beneficial to have the capacity to concentrate on the "clutch" points.

So I was thinking: what if there were a simple "reset point" feature in speed lap mode? For instance, while racing you press a certain button that creates a save state fully describing your ship's position, orientation, speed, camera orientation, etc etc (a "memento" for you fellow programmers). Then, later on, you press another button (or perhaps tap that same button twice, or use w/e other mapping to reduce the button footprint of the feature) which will reset your ship to that save state. In addition, perhaps it might be a good idea to introduce a momentary delay / "freeze time" on the ship reset in order to (1) give the player a moment to prepare (2) give the game's streaming of track resources a moment to adjust to that position. This would also invalidate your lap time, of course.

With this, one would have the capacity to concentrate on particular portions of the track (and not waste the majority of one's free time traversing the remainder you're already comfortable with).

Anyone else agree that this is a good idea? Some may just consider this laziness, but it seems like such a simple feature to implement (then again, nothing is ever as simple as it initially appears to be in software development). Likewise, for a game that has a large competitive and not-so-casual crowd, it would seem suited.

Or perhaps I'm just your typical American in that I spend so much of my life at work (not that I desire to...) that I find myself dwelling on petty things like this?

EDIT: hmm, maybe this should've been created in the Wipeout HD section...