PDA

View Full Version : WipEout 3SE christmas challenge 2011

Tomahawk
1st November 2011, 02:01 PM
WipEout HD has been dominating our Arena for a long time now that's why I think it's about time to pay some respect to the older versions of the series again. Welcome to this year's WipEout 3 SE christmas challenge!

We are going to race 4 tracks in single race mode, phantiom class.
The rules which apply for our records tables will be applying for this challenge as well.
Only sips with a speed class of 3 or lower (Feisar, Goteki, Pirhana, Auricom, Assegai) will be allowed for the challenge – so no Icaras, no Qirex and no AG-Systems!

So here's the plan:

1) THE VOTING
What tracks we'll be racing be will be decided by a voting which starts now and will end on the 15th of november. That is the date where the tracks we are going to race will be announced. Everybody taking part in the voting can vote for any 4 of the following tracks:

WIP3OUT LEAGUE
- Porto Kora
- Mega Mall
- Sampa Run
- Stanza Inter
- Hi-Fumii
- P-Mar Project
- Manor Top
- Terminal

CLASSIC LEAGUE
- Talons Reach
- Altima VII
- Sagarmatha
- Phenitia Park
- Terramax
- Gare d'Europa
- Odessa Keys
- Arridos IV

You must place 4 votes in total. Anybody voting for less than 4 tracks or more than 4 tracks will not be considered in the final results of the voting. You are allowed to vote even if you are not going to take part in the racing!

2) THE RACING
From 15th of november until the 15th of december everybody is welcome to enter his times for any of the tracks, even if he/she did not take part in the voting. Any times submitted after the 15th of december, 12pm gmt+1 (german timezone) will not be considered for the final results. The times should be entered like this (use the following lines as a template if you want):

track name: XXXXXXXXXX
Lap 1: XX.XX.XX
Lap 2: XX.XX.XX
Lap 3: XX.XX.XX
Lap 4: XX.XX.XX
Lap 5: XX.XX.XX
race time: XX.XX.XX

For the final results we will count the best race time entered by the contestants and the best lap time from that particular best race time. It is not allowed to enter a best lap time from another race. Only the best lap time from your fastest race time will be counted.

In the end we are going to sum up all 4 best race times and best lap times from those races to get an overall time (meaning: race time 1 + lap time 1 + race time 2 + lap time 2 + race time 3 + lap time 3 + race time 4 + lap time 4 = overall time)

The one with the lowest overall time wins the challenge.

3) THE PRIZES
Well usually there should be enough motivation in being able to dust off your copy of 3SE and comapre your skills to the other top pilots from our community, but to add some more flavour to this challenge I'll be giving out one packet of our famous Nuremberg Lebkuchen weighing 1.5kg for each of the podium places 1, 2 and 3. I'll also pay for any postage and package costs of course.

So I guess that's about it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or post them here in this thread.

Tomahawk
1st November 2011, 02:02 PM
My vote for the 4 tracks:
Stanza Inter
Terramax
Gare d'Europa
Arridos IV

JABBERJAW
1st November 2011, 04:32 PM
1) manor top
2) pmar project
3) porta kora
4) terminal

infoxicated
1st November 2011, 05:04 PM
I shall fire up 3SE tonight and see which tracks I'm least rusty at. :D

kaori
1st November 2011, 07:17 PM
Hi-Fumii
P-Mar Project
Sagarmatha
Odessa Keys

stin
1st November 2011, 07:18 PM
:o

Will let you know tomorrow:|

stevie:nod:+

infoxicated
1st November 2011, 09:12 PM
Bollocks.

I realised tonight that my save game with all my best records and the entire game open was on my old PS3 that died. Currently playing it through again to unlock everything.

Think I've now lost count of the number of times I've started from scratch in the last 11 years!

I could save some time by dragging out the PS2 and sticking in an old memory card, but who knows where they are.

*sigh* Back to Sampa Run for me...

JABBERJAW
2nd November 2011, 12:35 AM
Rob, you could just enter the codes and save it

Phantom

Alltrack

Crafts

Oryx Crake
2nd November 2011, 01:42 AM
man I wish I was good enough to compete in this :( haven't played w3o in... at least 10 years(not that I was ever good enough to compete on this level), and I never played SE T.T will you legends do us a favor of recording some of those races though?

Sausehuhn
2nd November 2011, 08:05 AM
So it’s not allowed to play the game on a PS2 or PS3, is it? I could get my old PSX out of the basement, but I do not own a TV to play it with :? Oh well.

infoxicated
2nd November 2011, 08:06 AM
Al, I know I could do that, but I need to re-learn all the courses again anyway, so I'll just plough through. Considering it took me about 8 attempts to get gold on Sampa Run at Venom, I think I need the practice! :)

Tomahawk
2nd November 2011, 08:49 AM
So it’s not allowed to play the game on a PS2 or PS3, is it? I could get my old PSX out of the basement, but I do not own a TV to play it with :? Oh well.

Actually you are allowed to use your PS2 for playing 3SE and participating in this challenge. As our rules for the records tables say:

■ Times must be set on an unmodified console which is the same region as the copy of the game. (e.g. PAL PS2 and PAL game disc.)

The only things you have to keep in mind is that you may not use a modified console and that the console and the disc must be from the same region (PAL/PAL).

infoxicated
2nd November 2011, 09:49 AM
I should probably update that - the PS3 wasn't out when I last updated those rules, but I don't see any harm in folk using their PS3 to play the PS1 games... like I'm doing.

For a lot of folk who are new to gaming, downloading them from the PSN store might be the only way they experience the rarer classics.

Tomahawk
2nd November 2011, 09:57 AM
I don't know if there's a need to update that. I think the rule's wording as it is now is clear enough:

Times must be set on an unmodified console which is the same region as the copy of the game. (e.g. PAL PS2 and PAL game disc.) = any console combined with a disc from the same region will work (that's how I read the rules anyway...)

You might want to add the word "original" in front of the words "copy of the game" though. This way you'd be putting an emphasis on the fact that no illegal copies are allowed.

About the downloadable versions of the games: I don't know how they can be compared to the original versions on disc. Right now we have the agreement that no downloadable versions may be used to set records for our tables but as far as I can remember now I don't think that this fact is stated clearly anywhere in our rules.

Edit: Once the tracks are chosen for this challenge I'll open another thread for the times and I'll post the rules for this challenge again in the first post of this new thread. I'll try to word them as clear as possible and I'll also try to consider all the changes we have seen in the wipeout world within those last few years like PS3 coming out and downloadable versions and so on. Maybe you then want to take out some phrases and use them to give our rules a little overhaul.

JABBERJAW
2nd November 2011, 11:42 AM
I believe the downloadable version of wipeout 1 plays differently than both the NTSC and the PAL version. Maybe it was a modified PC version? I do think all the regions on the ps3 are the same though.

stin
2nd November 2011, 01:29 PM
OMG!

Played it for the first time!, bloody hard!:blarg played like :turd

Phantom race?!!!:blarg :paperbag

Will let you know tonight for the tracks to pick.:nod

stevie:)

EDIT here is my link for you to see ;) http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/album.php?albumid=341

Tomahawk
2nd November 2011, 08:51 PM
Nice link stevie - oh ye goode olde days! :)

The votes for the tracks so far:

Porta Kora - 1 (JABBERJAW)
Sampa Run - 1 (Autechom)
Stanza Inter - 2 (Tomahawk, stin)
Hi-Fumii - 1 (kaori)
P-Mar Project - 2 (JABBERJAW, kaori)
Manor Top - 3 (JABBERJAW, stin, Autechom)
Terminal - 2 (JABBERJAW, stin)
Sagarmatha - 1 (kaori)
Terramax - 1 (Tomahawk)
Gare d'Europa - 3 (Tomahawk, stin, Autechom)
Odessa Keys - 2 (kaori, Autechom)
Arridos IV - 1 (Tomahawk)

stin
3rd November 2011, 07:57 AM
My picks are...Manor Top, Terminal, Gare d'Europa and Stanza Inter.

Here we go.

stevie:)

infoxicated
3rd November 2011, 11:41 AM
Starting to wish I hadn't given my NegCon away, now... I'm all over the place with the Dual Shock 3.

Tomahawk
3rd November 2011, 01:05 PM
:eek Blasphemy! Why did you give away such a powerful weapon?

infoxicated
3rd November 2011, 02:09 PM
Because I realised the controller could make more difference to the times than I could, and that realisation had me give up on going for competitive times on WipEout 3 & SE.

So I gave it away as a prize at the first convention.

Autechom
3rd November 2011, 03:05 PM
Erm, my PS 2 is modified. What advantage could I get from that ?_?

However, I can use the one from my girl which has not been modified at all. So count me in.

My choices are:
Gare d'Europa
Manor Top
Odessa keys
Sampa Run

Tomahawk
3rd November 2011, 03:19 PM
To be honest, apart from being able to play an illegally copied game disc I don't know if there's much of a difference. But it's part of our records tables' rules so it's also part of this challenge.

@infox
I think I have a spare Neggy somewhere. Do you want me to send it over to you for the competition? Or do you use this once-in-a-lifetime chance to pay stin a little visit and play with his Neggy? ;)

Autechom
3rd November 2011, 04:24 PM
I see. Funny, since I own three different versions of Wip3out...of course original versions. However, no need for a discussion...

I´m just looking forward to the challenge that finally takes place : )

JABBERJAW
3rd November 2011, 11:25 PM
The main reason the modified would be a problem would be if you

1) sped up the system

2) modded a pal or NTSC model to work with the opposite signal (modified NTSC system playing wo3se would be an example). In this instance it's harder, because the game plays too fast and the time stays consistent with the game, but this could cause problems for sure.

infoxicated
4th November 2011, 09:15 AM
I think I have a spare Neggy somewhere. Do you want me to send it over to you for the competition? Or do you use this once-in-a-lifetime chance to pay stin a little visit and play with his Neggy? ;)
Nah, I'm good - I'll stick with the Dual Shock. :+

Flint Fandango
4th November 2011, 05:40 PM
Wow, great effort Tom! :+

I never hit phantom speed class since I own the game; shame on me.
Nevertheless, I will definitely participate in this competition! I´m anything but a faintheart.

Here are my votes:

-> Porto Kora

-> Odessa Keys

-> Sagarmatha

-> Terminal

stin
5th November 2011, 08:21 AM
I`m not building my hopes up. There is a chance zargz might participate.:nod:+

stevie8)

Mad-Ice
5th November 2011, 09:00 AM
Ah cool! I'm in, great idea!

My track choices are:

Porta Kora
P-Mar Project
Manor Top
Odessa Keys

Greetz Mad-Ice

zargz
5th November 2011, 02:12 PM
Oh, well ... Now that stin is forcing my hand :guitar

Rennfisch
5th November 2011, 09:15 PM
Nevertheless I'll die in every first round I'll try it just for fun! :g

My choices:

- Porto Kora
- Mega Mall
- Altima VII
- Manor Top

locus2k
5th November 2011, 10:34 PM
Porta kora
Terminal
Manor top
Pmar project

stin
6th November 2011, 12:11 AM
Oh, well ... Now that stin is forcing my hand :guitar

Geezoo!, I`m twisting your hand?!!!!!!....hell no!!!:mr-t:g..look!, if you don`t wanna play cos foxy can beat you in Dual Shock!!:naughty

Now, that is interesting, few guys are starting to kick in.....

Thomas...good on you!;):+

stevie:D

Tomahawk
6th November 2011, 08:16 AM
update on the results of the voting

people who have voted so far are:
Autechom, dan, Flint Fandango, JABBERJAW, kaori, locus2k, Mad-Ice, Rennfisch, stin, Tomahawk

Porta Kora - 6 (JABBERJAW, Flint Fandango, Mad-Ice, Rennfisch, locus2k, dan)
Mega Mall - 1 (Rennfisch)
Sampa Run - 1 (Autechom)
Stanza Inter - 2 (Tomahawk, stin)
Hi-Fumii - 1 (kaori)
P-Mar Project - 4 (JABBERJAW, kaori, Mad-Ice, locus2k)
Manor Top - 6 (JABBERJAW, stin, Autechom, Mad-Ice, Rennfisch, locus2k)
Terminal - 4 (JABBERJAW, stin, Flint Fandango, locus2k)
Altima VII - 1 (Rennfisch)
Sagarmatha - 3 (kaori, Flint Fandango, dan)
Terramax - 2 (Tomahawk, dan)
Gare d'Europa - 3 (Tomahawk, stin, Autechom)
Odessa Keys - 4 (kaori, Autechom, Flint Fandango, Mad-Ice)
Arridos IV - 2 (Tomahawk, dan)

dan
7th November 2011, 12:52 PM
Sagarmatha
Terramax
Arridos
and hmmmmmmmm
Porto Kora

JABBERJAW
10th November 2011, 12:17 PM
Let's get some more votes!! Where is Arnaud? Jay? And some Others who played the older games? I think I'll make a search as they might not know about it.

Tomahawk
10th November 2011, 06:51 PM
I've already written a PM to quiet a few people of whom I thought they might be interested in this challenge, including Task, Medusa and Arnaud (I think I forgot Mad-Ice though, sorry 'bout this Mad, but you've found the challenge on your own :)). I do appreciate all help from you JABBERJAW or from other members to make this challenge bigger. The more participants, the more fun I say!

I'm also still waiting on the votes from zargz and infox. Are you guys speculation on giving the vote a dramatic turn of events in the end by doing your votesat the very last minute? ;)

I also expected Sausehuhn to vote. And where's our long-term forum members Hellfire and Rapier-Racer? Aren't you guys interested in this challange, too?

Remember: Anybody may vote, even if you are not taking part in the racing!

infoxicated
11th November 2011, 08:36 AM
I'm still playing my way back into it, so I've yet to decide on the tracks I'd like to be beaten on. ;)

That GTAV trailer had me going back to GTAIV, so I wavered from my practice schedule, but I'll be back on the floaty horse this weekend. :)

stin
11th November 2011, 08:40 AM
I will let zargz know and I will sms asa the terrible for this game.:|

stevie:g

Tomahawk
14th November 2011, 08:23 AM
Only this day and tomorrow before the voting is closed, so come on people, let's get us some more votes for the challenge! 8)

CRUDBALL
14th November 2011, 06:56 PM
Pmar project
Manor top
Terminal
Hi fumii

Going to play this one with my dad and try to beat mike :)

infoxicated
15th November 2011, 10:27 AM
Crudball - you're taking part?! Seriously?

Man, that's brilliant! :+

It also makes me feel very old. ;)

My track preferences are:

Hi-Fumii
Stanza Inter
Gare d'Europa
Sagarmatha

So tempted to choose Manor Top for old times sake, but I've made my preferences based on tracks where I think the Dual Shock will be less disadvantaged. I know from a handful of laps around Manor Top with a NegCon that I could easily beat my Dual Shock times. :)

Tomahawk
15th November 2011, 10:23 PM
Good morning everybody! It's now nov 16th, 0:16 am and the voting for our challenge is officially closed.

final results of the voting

people who have voted so far are:
Autechom, CRUDBALL, dan, Flint Fandango, infoxicated, JABBERJAW, kaori, locus2k, Mad-Ice, Rennfisch, stin, Tomahawk

Porta Kora - 6 (JABBERJAW, Flint Fandango, Mad-Ice, Rennfisch, locus2k, dan)
Mega Mall - 1 (Rennfisch)
Sampa Run - 1 (Autechom)
Stanza Inter - 3 (Tomahawk, stin, infoxicated)
Hi-Fumii - 3 (kaori, infoxicated, CRUDBALL)
P-Mar Project - 5 (JABBERJAW, kaori, Mad-Ice, locus2k, CRUDBAL)
Manor Top - 7 (JABBERJAW, stin, Autechom, Mad-Ice, Rennfisch, locus2k, CRUDBALL)
Terminal - 5 (JABBERJAW, stin, Flint Fandango, locus2k, CRUDBALL)
Altima VII - 1 (Rennfisch)
Sagarmatha - 4 (kaori, Flint Fandango, dan, infoxicated)
Terramax - 2 (Tomahawk, dan)
Gare d'Europa - 4 (Tomahawk, stin, Autechom, infoxicated)
Odessa Keys - 4 (kaori, Autechom, Flint Fandango, Mad-Ice)
Arridos IV - 2 (Tomahawk, dan)

That means we will be racing the following tracks for our challenge:
Porto Kora
P-Mar Project
Manor Top
Terminal

I think it's a little bit sad that we didn't get any of the classic tracks to race, but I guess that's what people call a democratic vote. :nod

I'll post a thread for our times tomorrow. Right now I'm just too tired.

Good races to everyone! LET THE CHALLENGE BEGIN!

Mad-Ice
16th November 2011, 08:12 AM
Oh cool we can start! Now I only need time to play! Nice track choices by the way ;) And thanks to naughty Al to let his son vote for Terminal too, we will have to set good times on all Al's favourite tracks :naughty Luckely they are almost the same like me :)

I've already written a PM to quiet a few people of whom I thought they might be interested in this challenge, including Task, Medusa and Arnaud (I think I forgot Mad-Ice though, sorry 'bout this Mad, but you've found the challenge on your own :)).

Well no problem mate, I never was a serious contender in the old games and I don't even got times in the record tables here. So here is my opportunity to hopefully set some decent times for the record tables.

Good luck and good fun to everyone, greetz Mad-Ice

infoxicated
16th November 2011, 08:52 AM
I think it's a little bit sad that we didn't get any of the classic tracks to race, but I guess that's what people call a democratic vote. :nod
That's the first-past-the-post system for you - maybe we should have done a couple of rounds of voting with the contenders with the lowest votes eliminated from each round? ;)

Temet
16th November 2011, 08:56 AM
Arg, I just see the topic now !!!!

Luckily, the tracks are all from regular Wip3out, because I don't owe a Wip3out SE CD.

To late to participate to the vote but I'll try to participate to the competition (it will not be easy since I'm away from home for 2 weeks for job :( )

EDIT : just bought a "Wip3out SE + Destruction Derby 2" pack on amazon :)
Lucky finally! I'll have to try the PS1 I bought to a colleague of mine since my PS1 died during last EWC (damned Holland !!)

Tomahawk
16th November 2011, 11:12 AM
And thanks to naughty Al to let his son vote for Terminal too, we will have to set good times on all Al's favourite tracks :naughty

I was wondering if I should let those votes from Al's son count, but since I didn't make any restrictions on the age of the voters or the number of members from one familiy who are allowed to vote and since I'm a man of my word I figured I had to. Lesson learned for next years christmas challenge though (meaning I'll have two more accounts by then and let my girlfriend and my daughter vote, too ;))

...maybe we should have done a couple of rounds of voting with the contenders with the lowest votes eliminated from each round? ;)

Lol, nice idea but I guess we'd have to call it the christmas challenge 2012 if we'd introduced a voting system being done in multiple rounds. :)

JABBERJAW
16th November 2011, 12:18 PM
WE :). Have no problem if you want to put in Odessa, sagarmatha, or Gare deuropa, those were the ones with 4.

Task
18th November 2011, 11:41 AM
That means we will be racing the following tracks for our challenge:
Porto Kora
P-Mar Project
Manor Top
Terminal

Hmm, looks like I'm a little late for the voting, but I do like that track list.

Oh, and I really like the ship restrictions!

I'll have to pull out my trusty Goteki and see how I can do. 8 )

Tomahawk
18th November 2011, 02:25 PM
Yay! Very very very happy to have you on board for this challenge Task! Here's the thread for the times: ->clicky<- (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8448).

If you have a way to contact Medusa please do so. I'd really enjoy having her on board too, but according to her visitor messages she left the forum about 2 months ago.

Task
18th November 2011, 02:38 PM
I'll see if I can reach her, but I gotta tell ya: you're doing the summoning incantation wrong.

If you want to summon the Medusa, you have to issue a challenge involving the sacred word KARBONIS!

8 D

Nonetheless, I shall try!

Tomahawk
18th November 2011, 03:37 PM
lol :) You got to tell this to Al, he democratically manipulated the outcome of the voting by letting his son vote! ;)

infoxicated
18th November 2011, 11:26 PM
It's a shame she became so disillusioned that she felt she had to leave.

I mean, she's missed the early part of the site's transition into My Little Pony Zone. ;)

JABBERJAW
22nd November 2011, 06:54 AM
We should do more classic game challenges. Maybe I'll set up one after this, since this has been a lot of fun

Temet
5th December 2011, 09:35 PM
So, today I was back from my 2-weeks job trip, and at the office I could pick up my W3OSE (+ Destruction Derby 2) !!
I just raced all the tracks in rapier with Auricom to unlock Phantom... and I did only 1 Manortop and it was good !

... it was not so easy for each, well, most of them but again Stanza Inter... grrrrrrr, it already costed some points during the EWC5! :)

EDIT : is that normal that I have more fun playing this old relic ? :)

Tomahawk
6th December 2011, 08:23 AM
Hey, don't you say something against Stanza Inter, that's is my absolute most favourite track! :)

I also do enjoy Playing the old titles way more than the newer ones.

infoxicated
6th December 2011, 11:00 AM
I'm really struggling to get up to speed with Phantom. Never really have been at my best at the fastest speed class - I'm more of a Rapier kind of guy. Hopefully I'll get some times I'm not too ashamed of over the weekend, though. :)