PDA

View Full Version : PS Vita - 3G Vs WiFi

Colonel
28th September 2011, 09:30 AM
I'm just wondering what the relative merits of the Wi-Fi and 3G versions of the PS Vita are?

I know the WiFi version will be cheaper, but isn't it also true that you will have to pay for a contract with the 3G Vita? I suppose you can use it anywhere though, not just in a WiFi area.

Sorry if I'm rambling here, just wondering which Vita to buy. Any thoughts?

Sausehuhn
28th September 2011, 11:30 AM
As far as I know the PSV is locked to AT&T networks in the US, so you will have to have a contract there. No word yet on how expensive that is.

As for other contries: No clue yet. But: At least here in Germany the 3G network is far from being all-accessable. So it’s probably the Telekom who’s getting an exclusive contract with Sony, as it’s still the best network in Germany (as they say).

I’m wondering how many times the PSV players will be kicked out of a game because they come into a dead spot.

Temet
28th September 2011, 11:59 AM
France currently sucks on 3G prices... so I guess a lot of French people will go for Wifi only.
Still, I know Kaori (French also) may be interested in 3G version ;)

Mad-Ice
28th September 2011, 03:15 PM
I am also very much interested by the 3G model. I have heared of friends who own an IPad that they have a duel sim card. So the same mobile phone number on two different divices. I think that will work for PSVITA too. Here is hoping. The only thing I would like to know is how much data will we be using by playing 2048 online multiplayer?

Colonel
28th September 2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah that's a good point Mad-Ice. If you're using a lot of data it could become quite costly, depending on your tariff. But I'm concerned about the reliability of WiFi for online gaming. I know a few players who use Wifi connections for WOHD and they're always getting kicked offline, Denton springs to mind especially.

kaori
28th September 2011, 06:14 PM
I wait more infos, mainly price or possibility to use my phone SIMcard.
I think 3G model will be helpful with the system Near, you will be able to let some gifts and get other by walking in the streets.

Japanese players know the price of prepaid card, around of € 0,50 by hour

Mad-Ice
28th September 2011, 07:52 PM
If WiFi searches automatically new available networks, especially ad-hoc channels we maybe do not even need 3G for the feature NEAR! Then we only need 3G for online gaming while we are not close to a WiFi hotspot.

Hellfire_WZ
28th September 2011, 08:33 PM
If my phone signal is anything to go by, I think I'll just go for the bog-standard WiFi model. Besides, I do most of my multiplayer from home anyway :)

CHEE5E2EE
28th September 2011, 09:18 PM
I will prob just get the Wifi model. I plan on playing mainly at home or at friends houses. Theres so many Wifi hotspots these days if you really wanted to play out and about you could. Maybe not as mobile but still probably more reliable than mobile internet? Would save some money too…. Need to start saving.

Mad-Ice
30th September 2011, 05:01 AM
3G would also be very nice to see who is online and have psn messaging with each other. Challenging friends on the go or making an apointment for an online game. I do not want to pay per hour but by using data. So I can be online all day if I want. Just like with my smartphone.

TheFrostE
30th September 2011, 06:05 PM
im getting wifi only as well, even though vita is nice and portable i probably wouldnt take it with me wherever unless its to a friends house to play. wi-fi is great as is, no need for 3g imo...its not even that fast or reliable.

infoxicated
1st October 2011, 08:15 AM
I do quite fancy the Vita, and if I get one it'll just be the WiFi model, as I can turn my phone into a wireless hotspot and use that if I don't have WiFi acess.

I don't think anyone's going to be playing multiplayer racing games over 3G anyway - the latency of cell phone networks would introduce all kinds of lag issues.

Mad-Ice
1st October 2011, 11:19 AM
But it would be so much fun to write each other messages all over the world, just like whatsapp but better, because with psn you can see who is online and what he or she is doing. So I think I will still get the 3G model. But I need more info on costs, if we will need to pay per hour or per gig!

Colonel
1st October 2011, 11:26 AM
I can turn my phone into a wireless hotspot and use that if I don't have WiFi acess.

Really? That's very cool :)

MrSmadSmartAlex
1st October 2011, 02:17 PM
I'm pretty sure that Sony already confirmed that 3G won't be usable for gaming. It'll only be for social networking features (e.g. showing muggers and stalkers exactly where you and your Vita are :D). The WiFi model is the one to go for IMO.

Darkdrium777
1st October 2011, 05:56 PM
3G is awful slow and limited:
20MB file size max
128kbps DL
64kbps UL

[Ref] (http://andriasang.com/comye0/)

Not worth it in my opinion.

infoxicated
2nd October 2011, 09:43 AM
Really? That's very cool :)
It's something Android phones do by default, but I think iPhones need some encouragement - a "tethering" tarrif or somesuch.

I use it quite often to surf the net on my laptop whilst I'm out and about. :-)

Mad-Ice
3rd October 2011, 03:29 PM
Mmm, after reading all those replies, it looks like 3G is not so cool after all. Can someone tell me what the benefits would be then of this feature?

@Infoxicated: What would be the biggest reason for you to buy the VITA? Because I am pretty sure it's not Wipeout!!! Btw: shouldn't your thumbs down be a thunbs up?!

Greetz Mad-Ice

Darkdrium777
3rd October 2011, 04:19 PM
3G or 4G is basically internet everywhere you have a cellphone connection, but with absurd limits, restrictions and fees if you go over those limits. It's overcharged more than roaming with the phone, while staying in the coverage area of your mobile operator. And then there was that one time I got that message from my operator telling me roaming 3G was 10$ per MB of data... So yeah. Very expensive stuff and not worth putting on a PSP IMO.

infoxicated
4th October 2011, 01:18 PM
@Infoxicated: What would be the biggest reason for you to buy the VITA? Because I am pretty sure it's not Wipeout!!! Btw: shouldn't your thumbs down be a thunbs up?!
Yeah, it probably was meant to be a thumbs up - I was typing it on my phone, so I must have made a mistake. :)

With the Vita, it's the media features for me. Although I watch podcasts and listen to music on my phone, it drains the battery and I'd rather have a separate device for entertainment.

When I used my PSP for that purpose I enjoyed the bigger screen and not having to worry about it running out of charge.

I like the look of the Uncharted game and Everybody's Golf, and I'll check out WipEout at some point, but you're right - the series is pretty much dead to me now with the ludicrous amount of weapons pads and barrel rolls.

For me, Vita is not something I'll pick up at launch. If it's coming out in Europe early next year then I'll wait for the second wave of games due out in Q4 2012 to see I can justify having one.

Darkdrium777
4th October 2011, 04:47 PM
Although I watch podcasts and listen to music on my phone, it drains the battery and I'd rather have a separate device for entertainment.I'm the complete opposite. The PSP was always too big for me to carry around conveniently so I really like how now I have one small phone that does everything (except games of course.) Though I don't use the phone bit very much. I suppose if you us the phone a lot for work it would be different.