PDA

View Full Version : WipEout Music in car commercials

Hybrid Divide
2nd April 2003, 08:08 AM
Just thought I'd mention. Within the last week, I've heard both "Loops of Fury" and "Atom Bomb" in car commercials.

Just figured I'd mention it.

Cheers,
VL

AmishRobot
3rd April 2003, 03:48 AM
I hadn't noticed that, although I had noticed Caddillac's dropping of the smooth jazz and big band in favor of Led Zepplin. "Now you can live your out-dated hipster lifestyle and be an elitist wealthy prick at the same time!" Ah, Caddillac: The vehicle of choice for upwardly mobile white men...

I also noticed FC Kahuna in a hummer commercial, which I suppose means they're now marketing them to overpaid Gen-Xer's. Don't those things get like Gallons Per Mile?

My 10 year old Saturn still gets 35 mpg, and I remain happy.

Thruster2097
3rd April 2003, 10:33 AM
My vauxhall corsa gets 61mpg, and its 4 days old!
But, unfortunatley, it has a 0-62mph (0-100kmh) of 15.9 secs.

Bummer. :cry:

xEik
3rd April 2003, 10:40 AM
Mpg is crazy.:o Liters every 100 km rules. :P As does the International System of Units. ;) I don't even know how much a gallon might be. :D

Congrats for your Opel Corsa, Thruster. 8)

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Lance
3rd April 2003, 01:36 PM
1 U.S. gallon is 3.77 litres. [1 gallon = 4 quarts, 1 quart = .9433962 litre] [UK Imperial gallons are much larger than U.S. gallons]

xEik
3rd April 2003, 02:01 PM
Even crazier then. :D

7.10b1 released

lance says: 7.10b1 needs more practice.
has lots of improvements, though

AmishRobot
3rd April 2003, 11:28 PM
Thruster: Your vauxhall still accelerates better than my car, and that kind of milage is something to write love songs about!

xeik: I seriously considered looking up a conversion chart before hitting the submit button. I still don't understand our nation's refusal to adopt the metric system. I guess it's supposed to make us "special", but it makes the Olympics a pain to watch. ;)

Thruster2097
20th April 2003, 11:40 PM
heh, i guess that depends on where you live, xeik! Stupid car was built in spain, by opel, but it has to be badged as a vauxhall for sale in the UK. But in ireland, they have opels. Weird, no?

Forget units and conversions and stuff, it basically means i can fill it up with petrol, and forget about it for about two weeks.

AmishRobot
21st April 2003, 05:25 AM
What's petrol? ;)

Thruster2097
22nd April 2003, 01:17 PM
:lol:
...just waiting for someone to say that...
"petrol" is the common term for Petroleum Oil. But often refered to in the USA as "gas", or "gasoline". Stupid americans... :P

Lance
22nd April 2003, 02:30 PM
by the time oil has gone far enough in the fractionation-distillation process so that a spark-ignition engine can burn it as a fuel, it isn't oil any more
[returns razz] :)

AmishRobot
22nd April 2003, 11:21 PM
Who ya callin' stoopid?!

Anyway, I'm from Texas... it's like a whole 'nother country. :roll: And down here, we don't call it "gas". We refer to it as "The essence of life itself". ;)

Soccer mom's and SUV's... more dangerous than mine detection.

Thruster2097
23rd April 2003, 08:03 AM
:lol:
you guys know that I`m only joking.... in reality, we, the english are the idiots for not sending you guys a revised english dictionary for the past hundred years :wink:

infoxicated
23rd April 2003, 08:13 AM
I think some of the americanised spellings make more sense than our way of doing it. Like with Color, for instance - I use it that way all the time with HTML or Style Sheets, so it's kind of hard for me to write Colour when I'm not coding.

How's the car going anyway? You've had it nearly a month now! :-? :)

Hybrid Divide
23rd April 2003, 09:40 AM
Boy has this gone off topic! :D
It was originally about how the music from the mid 90's and the WIpEout / Hackers era has begun to resurface.

Oh well. That's how forums go I guess! :wink: 8)
Enjoy!

infoxicated
23rd April 2003, 12:10 PM
Hey, I was steering it back to cars! - it wouldn't be a great leap from there to get nearly back on topic! :D :lol:

lunar
24th April 2003, 12:13 AM
On DOA2, did you know about the so called "jubbliness" cheat? In the options menu you can set your age. The higher you set it the more, er, "wobbly" the girls are. So they say, not having actually tried this myself..

I`m probably the worst fighting games player EVER. I never play the computer, and lose to almost everyone. On DOA I can`t even beat my daughter`s best friend, who is 8 years old. She bashes buttons, I try to time my attacks and get hammered. Even if I try a more aggressive approach I just get pummelled into an exploding wall or something. My daughter (7) frequently beats me too. On SSX and Wipeout however, they are toast.

The X-Box version of DOA (can`t remember what its called exactly) is a big big improvement over the PS2 version. The graphics are really astounding, and in 2 player its a great laugh, but the graphics are so good that there`s something a bit disturbing about it too, and this version is possibly not for kids. Or maybe I`m turning into a Tory MP.

I`ve never seen wipeout music in an advert, but if you put your favourite wipeout tunes on your car stereo and fly across Rannoch Moor (or your road of choice), you can pretend you`re starring in one at least, although this is a difficult illusion to sustain in a 10 year old Volvo 440.

Lance
24th April 2003, 04:24 AM
you could try a SAAB 93 :)

i tried the doa cheat; definitely more bounce to the ounce

waaay more bounce

rjsec4ever
1st May 2003, 08:27 PM
(sorta off-topic)
I've never heard any WO music in an advertisement before, but I heard Snood's SFX in one. I truly don't remember which commercial it was in, but I remember it is Snood's

*For the ppl who don't know what Snood is, Snood is a "Bust-a-Move" type game*

Thruster2097
10th May 2003, 10:58 PM
heh, yeah that did sorta go off-topic....
.....and who gives a hoot? :lol:
yeah, the car is going okay, i`m just going through a phase where I just cant stop waxing the damn thing ... as you could probably tell by my "frequent" visits back here.
And I`m driving her way too hard, she is supposed to have 61mpg, but I measured it at 37mpg. You can call me a boy racer if you wish, but until vauxhall figure out anti-grav and put jet boosters on a corsa, I dont think I`m ever going to be truly satisfied :P
(saying that, I saw this really cool go-kart on tv this week... they strapped a minature jet engine to it and set a new speed record.... what a rush!)

i have been putting the wipeout discs in my cd player recently.... my girlfriend said to me "Don`t you ever listen to anything but techno music??" So, at the horrifying risk of not getting any that night, I changed the cd to the GTA Vice City`s Flash FM, and promptly added those three immortal words,..... " is that better?"

I think the answer was yes.... :wink:

So, anyway... wipeout soundtracks in car ads....

xEik
10th May 2003, 11:18 PM
So, at the horrifying risk of not getting any that night, I changed the cd to the GTA Vice City`s Flash FM
Now, that's cheap. Burn in hell you heretic! :evil:

:P :wink:

Thruster2097
10th May 2003, 11:25 PM
Just like a good aftershave. Cheap, but effective! :lol: :lol:

xEik
10th May 2003, 11:41 PM
I think I begin to understand the reason why I don't have a girlfriend: my incapability to bend my will to that of others.
After the question "Don`t you ever listen to anything but techno music?" answering something like "You are more perspicacious than you look like." might not be the best idea. :roll:

Vasudeva
14th May 2003, 11:11 AM
Howdy folks,

I will again release my terrible pet peeves upon you all. Be warned ;).

@ Lunar

It's no wonder you are beaten by seven and eight year olds. This can sometimes happen in Tekken as well. Why? Because actually DOA is a not a good game and gets a lot more attention than it deserves. A part from its graphics and its babe level it hasn't got anything that really sets it apart from the other games. The combos and strings are highly predictable and too easy to master, the 'cool background thingy' had already been done by VF3 (that was released, if I'm not mistake, like 5 years before DOA2) and the characters' backgrounds are pants.

Of course, I'm not excluding the possibility that you have more talent for racing games than for fighting games, but I just wanted to give you some courage. Next time you get beaten by a button basher just shove it off saying that wipEout is much more advanced ;).

@ xEik

I have given up trying to find a girlfriend who listens to idm and related genres. Most people think "techno" is anything ranging from 'boomcar beats' (cheap club music) and 'weird fizzy sounds' (idm) ;).

Now, I like some forms of metal too, for example (prog metal, mainly), but I hate it that most metalheads think they are really the **** and are *truly* underground. I personally think it's a stupid argument to begin with, but if they insist, idm is much more underground than metal! On a related note, I actually wonder why so few ladies listen to techno and idm. Odd, no?

Peace!
V.

Task
14th May 2003, 05:49 PM
If DOA is such an uninnovative and re-hashed game, then what other fighting game features a "counter" button? I've played a couple other fighting games (SF, MK, VF, Mace, Soul Whatever) and in every single one of them if someone gets a combo going on me I might as well walk away from the box for all that I can do to stop them. In DOA, a properly timed press of the "counter" button will slaughter my opponent quite nicely.
What other game has this feature?
Nobody has ever been able to answer that question for me, they usually just stop talking.

Lance
14th May 2003, 06:17 PM
now i know what the phrase ''taken to task'' means. ;)

FoxZero
14th May 2003, 07:59 PM
exactly, task. i love the counter attacking. there are also pretty balanced characters in doa2. it ends up that if you are skilled at the game you will almost always beat the less skilled person. much unlike soul calibur. i never figured out the air moves though, not sure if there are just few or if it was just negligence on my part.

also, the fact that doa2 combined features from other games doesnt bother me. for example, nothing in gta3 was new, when they put car racing, flight, and 3rd person shooters together but when they did it turned out an excellent game. i think it was a good idea to pick and choose good features from other existing fighters and to put it in a new game. isnt that what gamers want, after all? the ships of wipeout 3, the look of wipeout xl, the tracks of wipeout and the graphics of fusion? i rest my case.

Vasudeva
14th May 2003, 09:53 PM
Aye Task!

Good to know someone has taken up the challenge to defend DOA ;). I love discussions.

Having a counter button is a quite nifty touch, I must admit. However, the counter system is not very new. It already existed in Tekken 2 (and possibly VF2 but I'm not sure) and most modern fighting games also have some system of countering your opponents.

A seperate counter button is just like a seperate blocking button (which was new when Mortal Kombat came out); it takes a feature present in other fighting games and gives it a more prominent spot by making it into a different button or basic function. Hell, in MK3 the "run" button was something totally new but many critics agreed that MK3 was not very spectacular (I always held a different opinion but that's another issue altogether ;)).

On the issue of counters itself, countering is a great idea but it always exposes you to a great risk. I guess the real good players use it all the time but while I'm a decent fighter I certainly don't rank among the best. As such, trying to use a counter usually results in me taken to every corner of the arena, so I stick with blocking and finding holes in combos instead to retaliate :). I have to work on that technique though.

Peace!
V.

Vasudeva
14th May 2003, 09:58 PM
I agree FoxZero and I'd like to make one small addition to your point: many great games are, I think, great because of two reasons; either because they are completely new or completely redefine a genre (e.g. Doom, MGS, wipEout) or they are great because they take all elements used in succesful similar predecessors and combine these wÃ*th an extra touch (e.g. FF7, Sonic...).

In fact, if I'm allowed to draw a parallel, the same phenomenon occurs in arts, literature and music. The best stuff is often a fusion of the best from the past and the most innovative of the present; or it is something totally new altogether.

Peace!
V.

Lance
14th May 2003, 10:52 PM
come to think of it, Soul Calibur has counterattack. it has to be timed very precisely to work. i am not good at counter, but i hardly ever try to use it since i rely mostly on fast attacks of the basic variety, which is probably what would work best in real life. the complex combos make fighting games deeper and even more entertaining, though, so they certainly have a place

Task
15th May 2003, 01:28 AM
By god, a reply! How marvelous.

I never imagined or stated that a counter _system_ was a new idea.
I haven't played Tekken (I like how you can be a kangaroo, but I never knew anyone who had this game so I never played it) but I have played VF and there wasn't a counter button in VF AFAICT.
Of great importance is that fact that it's a _button_. If I can left-right-x-R2 and counter that's fine, but that isn't going to do me any good whatsoever once I'm in a fight and I've only got time to press one button to either counter or die. And it's NOT "just like a seperate block button" because block and counter are two fundamentally different things.
You see, there's a rock-paper-scissor system to fighting games. A block will "defeat" an attack (make you take no damage) but you'll never win by blocking. A counter not only "defeats" the attack, but your opponent takes damage. Similarly, a throw will defeat a throw, but an attack will counter a throw.
I am unsatisfied with the old fighting games where there's just attack and block, they do nothing for me. There's no strategy, no tactics, just reflexes and speed.

Vasudeva: just in case you were wondering, I enjoy a good discussion as well. 8 )

Lance
15th May 2003, 07:31 AM
on Soul Calibur, if you hit the x button [left on the Dc controller, not bottom] before your opponent's attack strikes you, it simply guards, but if you time it exactly as the opponents blow hits, then you get a counterattack that usually does considerable damage to him/her. while it is rarely possible to get this by being lucky, to counterattack consistently takes skill. [more than i currently have]

Vasudeva
15th May 2003, 11:41 AM
I wasn't wondering Task. :lol:

I didn't say VF or Tekken had a counter button, they had a counter system. Okay, so if I get this correctly you think that by having a seperate counter button rather than a counter system which requires some sort of combination effort, DOA introduced an unseen novelty. In this logic, the run button in MK3 was a similar addition (including the run meter ;)) and was the first blocking button ever (despite the fact that the concept of blocking already existed).

That countering makes for deeper gameplay I wouldn't disagree with but there are classic fighting games without countering that function quite well. And I'm really not sure if many regular fighting game players use counters. My problem is of course that I usually only have my brothers to play against (and I don't know anyone else in the area with a PS2 or a Dreamcast) so I can't prove it. As such, I don't think a counter system is essential unless it's reliable and doesn't require extraterrestial precision ;).

As for not finding much new in the current generation of scrappers (this is what I read into your posting, I'm not sure if you meant it this way), I agree. As I said before in a posting about MK:DA it irks me a little to see that many fighting games have come to greatly resemble one another, not only in characters but also in styles and moves. Luckily there seems to be a trend to move away from 'tekkenitis', that is, having a fighter with about 30 moves, 18 of which you're guaranteed never to use unless by accident, 4 of which are utterly pointless and 5 of which are hard to pull off and can be broken by a button smasher. So I think the genre is definitely moving back to basics [as, to make the disucssion a wee bit wipEout again, should wipEout! ;)] but it might need to find new angles.

For instance, Rise of the Robots, although the game was pretty pants, was a good new take on the genre: a sci-fi robot setting with a gloomy AI background. It could have been tons better had someone with a brain worked on it. Bloody Roar also had a good approach I think.

I have made a fully detailed plan of how my ideal fighting game would look like (of course 8)); it would have a lot of RPG elements and completely tunable outfits, weapons and a flexible string system. I won't post these ideas here, however, because I'm afraid to go too much out of line with the wipEout topics ;). If anyone's interested I'd be glad to talk about it via e-mail or something.

Peace,
V.

PS: By the way Lance I agree with what you say, you're not the only one experiencing this problem ;).