PDA

View Full Version : F-Copernicus 1

Copernicus
12th August 2011, 07:09 PM
I present my own do-it-yourself high speed futuristic racing game. F-Copernicus 1 is my first commercial video game, which will be on sale August 23rd. The demo is currently available for play testing from www.nicusprops.com/fcopernicus1.php. This game is 4 years in the making and celebrates the 20 years of high speed futuristic racing. The main point of this release is to test the online ladder functionality. That's why I started that other topic. This game is very F-Zero influenced, but it does have a mode based on Wipeout: survival mode. You guys should recognize the mode when you unlock and play it in the demo. Let me know your feedback!

Rotational_aspect
13th August 2011, 03:17 PM
Just had a play, very nice. My main crit is the graphics- even though its a one man job, they are too basic for my taste. Take a look at SNES and early PSX era pixel art to get away from the flat graphics you have now. Perhaps look at making some 3d ships, rendering them (with perhaps a toon shader) and using the resulting 2d image instead.

Also, your menu system is very bland, with basic fonts that do not do your work any favours- again, take a look at the various F-Zero games (and SNES/ N64 Nintendo games in general) to see how 2d menus can be exciting to look at.

From what you described before you posted, I had the image of your game looking like Viewtiful Joe from Capcom. Perhaps you could take some cues from that.

Copernicus
13th August 2011, 05:58 PM
Sprite fonts do look better. I wanted to do them, but didn't know if I could get them done in time. Next week I'll see what I can do. If I were to make 3D models of the vehicles I might as well use the 3D models instead of sprites. I don't think sprites of the 3D models would make much of a difference. In the GBA F-Zero games, because they were mode 7, it was practical because the vehicles were viewable from more than one angle, but for purely top-down I don't know if it's worth it. Has anyone from the Let's Make a Wipeout Game This Time For Real thread done top-down screen shots of their vehicles?

Oryx Crake
14th August 2011, 06:49 AM
the problem with the models is shading they're basically good just not finished, for a full on snes game for example. looks very impressive otherwise keep at it man!

Pez88
15th August 2011, 02:09 AM
Just played it. It's really good but like Aspect said, I'm not a big fan of the graphics. I like how the track has some 3d elements in it. Maybe try an effect like that on the ships? I feel like the ships make the game look like a flash game.

F.E.I.S.A.R
16th August 2011, 07:38 AM
I have no idea why,but I find it VERY DEPRESSING that I cannot get first place. At All.
Hence,I ALWAYS see the points drop like the stock market did just before the Great Economic Depression.