PDA

View Full Version : Musical education!

AmishRobot
17th February 2002, 11:28 PM
First, an introduction (humor me):

When the first WipeOut came out, I didn't know very much about electronica. I liked New Order and Papau New Guinea, and saw that they were on the soundtrack to the game, next to names like Orbital and Chemical Brothers. I decided to take a chance, and picked up a copy of Snivilisation and Exit Planet Dust. Needless to say, I was very excited. :smile: Essentially, while I've always liked synth and dance music (was more of an industrial fan), the first WipeOut was my introduction to what has since become one of my favorite (broad) genres of music.

So, in the spirit of discovery, I thought it would be fun to try a little experiment. Let's share some music suggestions. Not a "my ideal soundtrack" type of thing, but rather some unknown/lesser known artists or songs that we like, that fit the feel of the games. So no posting of FSOL or Oakenfold, unless it's a really different mix of/by someone else!

So open up Morpheus, and open up yer brain! :grin: I'll start this off:

Technicolor - "Escaping the Game Grid": It's got a pretty long lead-in full of Tron samples, but once it gets going, this is a good ambient/breakbeat song that's really good for zoning to the time trials in WO3.
web site (w/ samples) (http://www.technicolorsound.com/)
Jondi and Spesh - "Impenetrable Sayonara": Goofy name, but it fits W'O" perfectly. Very similar to Cold Storage stuff.
web site (samples, but not this song.) (http://www.looq.com/listen/listen.htm)
Orb - "Little Fluffy Clouds (Tsunami One Mix": Hardly unknown, I know, but this is a mix done by Adam Freeland, who also has an incredible song in the game Rez. The really heavy bassline makes it good for XL, though it may be a bit on the happy side.
Dark Globe - "Strap Your Hedd On": Good for WO3. Very tech with steady, driving bass.
web site (w/ samples) (http://www.w9y.co.uk/)
Pop Will Eat Itself - "Cape Connection": A lot of you probably know them because they have such close ties with Designers Republic, but I never thought they got the credit they deserved - especially their later stuff. If you're in an aggressive mood, race Talon's Reach to this song, and see how many times you can make the old Amiga bust out with "contender eliminated". :smile:
Murcury Rev - "Delta Sun Bottleneck Stomp (Chem Bros Remix)": Mercury Rev do not fit WipeOut... at all. But somehow, this remix works. Try a low speed TT on W'O" at vector, and it feels like a sunday drive. Put a fan on top of your tv to feel the wind in your hair! :lol:
web site (no samples) (http://www.mercuryrev.net/)

Okay, that's it for now. Maybe I'll add a few more if there's interest. I'm looking forward to seeing some suggestions!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AmishRobot on 2002-02-18 00:29 ]</font>

Lance
18th February 2002, 12:58 AM
*'What Time is Love?' by the KLF. the original mix-07:06

jmoid
18th February 2002, 04:38 PM
coll topic. i'm in a rush now but i'll certainly reply properly and try out your suggestions soon.

AmigoJack
18th February 2002, 07:44 PM
:amishrobot: ill check them all :wink:

my likes for electronica started simple computer games music. today im far beyond the "event horizon" and have experienced incredibly much.

because ive posted a "your-soundtrack-for-the-next-wipeout-game" article within the F9000 boards down at wipeoutfusion.com ill use this comment to bring up some artists to you that you might not know but should.

those are quite popular and should be known by at least some ppl:

Source Direct: "Yo Bitch"
Tykwer/Klimek/Heil: "Supermarket" (from movie "Run Lola Run")
Crystal Method / Prodigy: "Sidewinder"

those ones above dont need a further descriptions - if you really dont know them you failed to profilize for the following ones :wink:

Makai: "Iron Monkey" excellent german drum&bass, more a dark and cold-clear feeling
Ono Sendai: "Codebreaker" very rare hi-end drum&bass, can be compared with MAKAI
Juno Reactor: "Masters Of The Universe" most popular from the "Tomb Raider Movie" trailers, but you should know JUNO REACTOR; like PRODIGY its a definition of its one and should be heard as such
Ken Ishii: "Game Over" japan top-export boy, most popular with "EXTRA" but this wouldnt fit a W'O'' feeling (nevertheless its video is an awesome manga)
Marusha: "Vermilion" german female dj (deejane), did very good house tracks
Pascal Feos: "Overflow" probably most popular with "ARE U TRANQUILIZED" this is very close to the x-mixes ("JACK IN THE BOX")
Phoneheads: "Sinister" excellent unheavy drum&bass from germany, can also be very ambient
Takkyu Ishino: "Polynasia" rather a techno-clown due to its relation to "DENKI GROOVE", but this track is a far-out rhythm-only experience
C-Trance: "Infinite Aura" very rare found on a hardhouse compilation: excellent merged with trancy voyages
Shamen: "Urpflanze" their last album was far away from pop: "SHAMEN" has mutated to a perfect trancy electronical world
Talvin Singh: "Butterfly" mixed with indian vibes this fast hi-trance musicals are very energetic
Ravers Nature: "Tricky Symphonie" german ravers, unique with their style and this one is very bumping
Tristan: "Martian Arts" a trip to goa and back - a great travel, very hi-energetic
Sem: "Phox" (Dave Clarke X-Mix Electro Boogie) not to say that DAVE CLARKEs "ELECTRO BOOGIE" x-mix is very good and purist electronica, "PHOX" is a great part of it
3 Phase feat. Dr.Motte: "Der Klang der Familie" one of the hymns of the "LOVE PARADE", its more a disco style, but not so foolish

of course i could fire you with a much longer list - but be aware by seeking for some of the tracks stated above - you wont regret it :wink:

xEik
10th June 2002, 02:07 AM
Well, in my case, I'll post what I consider the best Trance tune ever (it is also a not well-known song, although it doesn't fit wipeout too much).

It's called "Spiritual Healing RMX" by Juan Verdera (an Ibiza guy)
Strongly recomended but I can't give a location where to listen to it. :(
The album where it appears is called "Shiva Space Technology", most songs are by Shiva Shidapu and are Goa Trance.

Nathan Adams
10th June 2002, 05:59 AM
Anything off the "Rez" soundtrack (which unfortunately was only released in japan - with cool as foil printing all over...mmmmmm.....)

Spaceboy Gajo
10th June 2002, 06:37 AM
Great thread. I always love to know what everybody's listening too. I try it out and sometimes I get hooked. Keep it going guys.

*'What Time is Love?' by the KLF

Kick out the Jams Motherf******!

I love the KLF.

Right now, I am in the Electroclash scene. Miss Kitten and the Hacker and Felix da Housecat. Then I am seriously thinking about picking up the Doves new CD Last Broadcast.

Stalker
10th June 2002, 01:28 PM
One group: Front 242... Almost all of their songs fits very well in the Wipeout universe. Fav. racingsong is DSMO - pumps my adrenain to the max anyway.

Task
10th June 2002, 05:27 PM
I think my favourite electronica band is Golden Shower (http://www.goldenshower.gs/e/asmusicas.html).
Of all their stuff, Total Control (http://www.centraldamusica.com.br/talentos/arquivo/Golden_Shower-Total_Control.mp3) is probably the most "Wipeout-able" tune.
If you've seen the video (http://www.goldenshower.gs/totalcontrol/tc_veja.html) then you know why.

Vasudeva
10th June 2002, 05:59 PM
Hmm, interesting topic.

I don't know what some of you consider as mainstream or underground, but here's my hmm, "music advice while playing WO" :D.

Any music from Photek works great to concentrate during time trials. Try their latest album, "Solaris". Rejected by many hardcore Photek fans, but has a fresh return to deep house, I think. Especially the CD's opening track, "Terminus", has a few base-blows in the end which fill the player's mind with energy.

More aggressive are top tracks "Luv U Still" and "Remove the Armour" by Praga Khan. Very vicious. Another aggressive but somewhat simple track remains the 3'00" version of "Amphetamines" by Draxx Ltd. II.

Peace,
V.

Spaceboy Gajo
10th June 2002, 06:35 PM
To add to Task's comment, I love Golden Shower and the first video of theirs I saw was Video Computer System which can be found here :

http://www.boardsmag.com/screeningroom/musicvideos/2/.

Too bad they don't have an agent or an album out.

Keep up the posts!

Vasudeva
11th June 2002, 02:13 PM
Golden Shower eh... reminds me of something else...

Hmm...

V.

Spaceboy Gajo
11th June 2002, 04:51 PM
Vasudeva,

If you're talking about the name, I have to admit it's not the best name. However, I think they were thinking of something else and the name just doesn't translate well. These boys are from Brazil. However, if they do know what a golden shower is then well they're probably going for that edge factor of their name.

Vasudeva
11th June 2002, 05:31 PM
Well, as long as they don't call themselves Black Khaviar now, anything still goes :D.

After all, I am a tolerant person 8). Or at least I'd like to consider myself so!

Peace,
V.

Spaceboy Gajo
11th June 2002, 05:36 PM
:P

You've got a point there Vasudeva.

Infoxicated, you've been having your mind in the gutter these past two days. This is like your second post in as many days that has to do with something sexual. :D

This looks like this thread belongs to General Discussion.

So Task how about that Ballblazer. I remember playing it on the good old Commodore 64...

infoxicated
11th June 2002, 06:47 PM
Say wha'?

This is the first time I've put something up in this topic... *rrrarr!*

Armoredgear7
11th June 2002, 11:58 PM
hmm.... i think the most easily convertable WipEoutish tunes in my opinion would be from other racing games, namely XG3.

Ive been looking for the XG3 soundtrack for some time now, ive only been able to find the "Hey DJ!" theme from the first track in the second league.

Any tips would be helpful, or if you could send it to me via Audiogalaxy, my username is "armoredgear7", easy to remember when everything uses the same name :)

Spaceboy Gajo
12th June 2002, 01:14 AM
Having said that, durex could have taken over the world many moons ago... 'cos, you know, most women say that men are led by their...

*ahem*

... never mind.

May I point to exhibit A?

It's nothing just teasing you!

mmcg
23rd June 2002, 03:09 AM
I'd say as far as electronica is concerned the most interesting musical innovations have come out of the IDM (Intelligent Dance Music) sub-genre. The soundtrack to Wipeout3 was pretty heavily IDM influenced. Consider tracks like Orbital's "Know Where to Run" with its crackling synths and distorted feel. I'd suggest albums like Squarepusher's "Big Loada", "Feed Me Weird Things" and "Hard Normal Daddy" as required listening for anyone, anywhere.

Oh, and Aphex Twin. You should be listening to "Selected Ambient Works '85-92" and "I Care Because You Do" right now. Seriously, stop reading, go buy music. Air too. Although they're a departure from the IDM thing, they're still amazing. My track times on Porta Kora improved immeasurably when I started listening to "Moon Safari" while doing them. Tracks like "Ce Matin La" really help you concentrate. Nothing like french horn for AG racing.

Ok, so I've mentioned IDM and French Astro-lounge, how about in between the two? Boards of Canada are amazing, definitely worh checking out. Their first album, "Music Has the Right to Children" is amazing, and the second, "Geogaddi" might be better yet. Somehow they wrapped the seventies up into ball, shoved it inside of an analog synth and made it sound like that dream you had that one time during the summer on a blaknet in a park with a girl that you never quite remembered fully, but that always made you smile.. "Ready Let's Go" and "Music is Math" are amazing.

Anyway, I'm done. I hope you like some of my suggestions.

AmishRobot
23rd June 2002, 04:04 AM
Aphex Twin is absolutely brilliant (did you hear about him hiding an image of his face within the sound waves of Windowlicker?) but my favorite album is Richard D. James, and that's a bit too manic for racing.

As for Air, it's great stuff, but I always considered it "sexin'-up" music, and I don't want to spoil my PS2. :P

Asche XL
23rd June 2002, 04:33 AM
Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Squarepusher, Plaid, Autechre, Mu-ziq

all amazing.

I have 12 aphex twin cds, 3 boards of canada etc....

All worth checking out. Electronic music is the only type of music that interests me anymore.

Lance
23rd June 2002, 05:40 AM
mmcg: matt, welcome to the wipeoutzone board; feel free to introduce yourself in the pilot's lounge forum if you wish.

Sven
23rd June 2002, 05:22 PM
I never really paid much attention to the music, until I really got introcuded to the techno scene when I got my G4 with iTunes! Now I'm starting to really like techno stuff. Most of the techno I've heard is from Wipeout soundtracks, or the iTunes sampler, but that doesn't keep it from being awesome. some of my favorites:

Psychedellic Terrorist by Total Eclipse
Symphonatic by Infected Mushroom
One Last Time by Quivver

I know they can be downloaded from apple.com somewhere, but I can't find it now.

FoxZero
25th June 2002, 04:35 PM
i was just getting into electronic music when i got wipeout so i knew all the artists on the soundtracks. once i had the game however, it fueled my hunger for more music, something i could race to. i still often buy music to make game soundtracks of my own.. some of the better combinations:

tribes (pc) -> juno reactor - bible of dreams
the music fits perfectly with the odd combination of primitive, exotic, and sci-fi aspects in the game. and i mean perfectly. god is god is literally synched with the blinking lights on the platforms. eat static - the alien e.p. s also works well.

sega rally (pc) -> gravity kills - guilty ep
i had the demo and i left the gravity kills single in the cd rom drive by accident and surprisingly it played. and it fit so well! all the tracks are great for racing, but the best imo are the youths art as prostitution remix, which is instrumental, and the nothing remix which has chopped up lyrics from the original.

rallisport challenge (xbox) -> juno reactor - beyond the infinite and shango
juno reactor complements the focus and concentration necessary to be sucessful in this game.

theif, theif 2 (pc) -> aphex twin - selected ambient works volume 2
technically this is a game where silence is necessary to hear subtle noises in the game. however, i have found that, with proper track skipping, this aphex twin release fits perfectly with the dark, stealthy feel of the game. the very minimal synth noises and percussion echoes make creeping through the shadows more haunting and eerie than you might feel comfortable with!

monster truck madness (pc) -> underworld - cowgirl
i had other cds that i played with this game, but i always put this song on a few times. leaping off of mountains while "why dont you call me i feel like flying too" repeated in the background just never got old, i guess. i played this game much more than i shouldve.

descent 2 (pc) -> the prodigy - we are the ruffest
i listened to the alec empire - destroyer cd a lot with this game, but we are the ruffet has a special place in my heart for sure. when i first got this game i would spend 4 or 5 hours playing minerva 2, often played this song several times in between. great stuff.

destruction derby (pc) -> the prodigy - jericho (genaside ii remix)
dont ask me why this works, its a very addictive song and a very addictive game.

halo (xbox) -> brothomstates - brothomstates vs bill yard
the qtio ep was in the cd player, and we were playing halo. this song specifically worked so well with the game that my friend noticed and said i picked good music. and he doesnt even like intelligent dance music!

theres no real song or album that i have picked out for wipeout. i made a pretty mix with underworld, cj bolland, fluke, and gus gus but the soundtrack for wipeout games are always so solid its hard to compete.

AmishRobot
11th April 2003, 01:17 AM
Resurrected! :D

A friend of mine played this song during one of his dj sets, and came down while it was playing to tell me the name of the song and that it makes him feel like he's playing Wipeout. Does it ever. Good stuff!

Dan F - Rebreather
check it out at www.disuye.com

P.S. Now that I got my DSL back (yay), I'll finally go back and check out more of your suggestions. AmigoJack and Task's sound particular interesting, since I'd already not long ago learned of the genius that is Boards of Canada. (If you like them, check out Bola) ;)

Thanks for participating. :)

U V
12th April 2003, 10:59 AM
eny tracks by: 'Ed Rush & Optical' all of there stuff is so very suitible for the WipeOut games [industrual drum & bass]

Mogaar
17th April 2003, 09:44 PM
I tend to listen to really mellow electronic music. That said, lately I've been listening to a ton of Massive Attack. Mezzanine and 100th Window in particular. Those are both pretty dark (which I tend to like)...

The new Muggs album is pretty cool, albeit fairly derivative trip-hop, and Nightmares on Wax is good mellow vibe stuff also.

On the other end of the spectrum, Atari Teenage Riot is good for sonically removing people's heads.