PDA

View Full Version : Feasability of a WipEout Arcade Machine?

dowby
19th July 2011, 06:15 AM
Given that Wipeout, when played with a controller, is already a very good game, experiencing it in a different way would likely make for an even better game.

Here's my Idea:

a joystick resembling what fighter pilots use: movement only left or right
a trigger on it for weapons
a second button for absorbing

another stick for thrust

two pedals: left and right airbrake- double press the pedals for sideshift

What do you think?

F.E.I.S.A.R
19th July 2011, 06:26 AM
Have you tried playing it on a steering wheel?

I fantasized about WipEout HD played to Daytona USA 2's physics.
There is another thing to think about:Pitch.
About your layout...
I think that the pedal for acceleration/thrust SHOULD be where it is when it comes to normal cars. And in my unpublished fan fics related to WipEout,the ship control is mainly on the steering,where:
Absorb and Left airbrake:Left side
Use and Right airbrake:Right side.
Then again,given how I think the controls look like in WipEout HD(by zooming in or in the photo mode),I think the controls would like like those of a bicycle,the brakes at the top,weapon use/absorb at the places where the thumb is mainly placed.

dowby
19th July 2011, 06:42 AM
http://www.freewallpaperx.com/data/media/300/Free-Flight-Simulator-X-Wallpaper-8150.jpg

Imagine it as in the picture:

A stick in the middle for your steering with Use as a trigger and Absorb as another button on the stick.

Airbrakes would be where his feet are:
left pedal for left airbrake
Right pedal for right airbrake.

pushing the pedal twice causes a sideshift

thrust/thottle is manipulated via a lever off to the side which can only move forwards/backwards.

ANd yes. I've played Wipeout HD with a Driving Force GT, and it's insane:cold

F.E.I.S.A.R
19th July 2011, 06:52 AM
The physics of a plane and an AG-Craft are different.
Planes fly. Pitch up/down adjusts altitude
AG-Craft Hover. Pitch up/down does not really matter unless it is a jump or going over a change in elevation at fast speeds.
Planes rarely use the rudders. The pedals would not be able to be pressed simultaneously
AG-Craft use airbrakes,and these ARE the brakes that will slow down an AG-Craft.
And there is a difference between dogfights and AG-Racing.
AG-Racing requires multiple applications of the controls at one time.
I don't think the way fighter/commercial jets are controlled can be applied to how AG-Craft are controlled.

dowby
19th July 2011, 08:05 AM
the stick would be made only for side-side movement to direct the ship around corners.
the pedals are for airbrakes, not rudder control (that's why I envisioned 2 pedals)
Pitch up/down is possible in HD, but the effect is nonexistant:brickwall

F.E.I.S.A.R
19th July 2011, 09:06 AM
I remember fantasizing about different speed classes,and that Venom was labeled Beginner,and Super Phantom being Ultra Expert.
And Pitching would help in Higher speed classes. Sometimes,pitching up and using turbo is enough for you to gain height to barrel roll.
Unless BRs are deemed a game breaker,if I was the developer,I'd rather not deprive the Experts of their ability to BR.
Maybe it would be called WipEout HD Fury Arcade,if HD Fury got an arcade port.

And a Wild Guess,WipEout turns into F-Zero.

UB3R~JKP
20th July 2011, 09:51 AM
Considering that when a game is made arcadey it needs to be modified accordingly I don't think things like pitch etc. would matter. As long as it was a pick up and play WipEout game it would be awesome as an Arcade title.

Like F-Zero, that had an arcade game developed by NAMCO. :+

blackwiggle
20th July 2011, 11:43 PM
I had Wipeout playable with one of these old Sony scph-1110e dual analog controllers for a very short time.
At the base there is a switch that allows you to switch from analog to digital, I used to use it for playing PS1 games Mechwarrior [great] & G-Police [too twitchy as digital support only on that game]
It needed pretty extensive rewiring, which a friend had managed to work out what was needed.
We were testing it in his garage when it got broken by his Labrador smashing into it while chasing a ball :(

Rotational_aspect
21st July 2011, 09:30 AM
Back, long ago I went to the (then) largest arcade in London (The Trocadero). In there they had a real Mazda MX5 as a RidgeRacer cabinet with full wrap around screen. It cost £2 to play but it was amazing (this was when an average arcade game cost 20p to 50p per go).

Now, imagine a full size AG ship cockpit with hydraulics, monitor screens that are like a bubble over the whole thing.....8). If I could play on that I would most likely cry with joy.

Colonel
21st July 2011, 10:24 AM
It needed pretty extensive rewiring, which a friend had managed to work out what was needed.
We were testing it in his garage when it got broken by his Labrador smashing into it while chasing a ball :(

Haha, sounds like "Marley & Me", all that effort just for a lunatic dog to smash into it. :g

Rotational_aspect
21st July 2011, 11:43 AM
But Marley paid the price for his foolishness........:bat

Medusa
23rd July 2011, 04:20 AM
I have a vague and possibly suspect memory of reading that Mano at one time played Wipeout in an arcade machine. Anybody to confirm this?

F.E.I.S.A.R
23rd July 2011, 05:17 AM
Cabinet here (http://www.highwaygames.com/body.php3?action=mach_view&machine_id=2083),thread here (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154)

UB3R~JKP
23rd July 2011, 10:13 PM
That sounds incredible!

UberNe
27th July 2011, 03:44 AM
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2011/07/26/mad-catz-launches-cessna-brand-flight-sim-controls/

Now this would look awesome somehow integrated to a console or something.

s0mmieUK
5th August 2011, 01:23 PM
I kind of imagined a WipEout arcade game to function along the same lines as Star Wars Ep 1: Racer Arcade. Man, what a fantastic game that was. Forget the home ports, the arcade version was incredibly good fun. If I remember correctly, it even had variable fans at the front of the cabinet to simulate the wind blowing in the pilots face. Poured so much of my holiday money into that machine back in the day.

Anyway, something along the lines of the Star Wars Racer cabinet, except with a WipEout craft, add some hydraulics, link-up play with other cabinets, you could have something really special.

Given the continued decline of arcades however, I doubt a new WipEout arcade machine would be commercially viable.

Sausehuhn
5th August 2011, 06:34 PM
I for one would be more than happy to see this machine (http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6101281/awesome-videogame-racing-chair) with WipEout :D

Barrel rolls may be a problem though ;)

Mu5
9th August 2011, 09:18 AM
I dont see why not - I wonder if if you could buy one of these and modify it ;) :+

fzero arcade cabinet (http://youtu.be/iJMekn6D4OE)

lovedr
12th October 2011, 03:28 AM
I once played either WO1 or 2097 on a home-brew 'after-burner' style cabinet at ECTS back in the day, it was the muts nuts! Still got the chaps business card somewhere as I wanted a cab for myself.