PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to cheat online?

s0mmieUK
14th July 2011, 10:40 AM
I love WipEout. I'm not the best pilot in the world, but I can hold my own. I don't mind losing a fair race, but have had occasion to suspect that not all races online are fair and can't help but suspect there may be some cheating going on. I hope what I describe below are just glitches, but would be interested to hear if you have experienced anything similar.

First, ships that seem impossible to overtake. The minute you catch up with them, they boost into the distance. They aren't barrel rolling, and it happens in games where weapon hints are on, so you can tell they don't have a speed boost stored, so how on Earth are they achieving such a speed increase when you try to overtake? Is it a paticular tactic or skill that can be learned or is it a cheat, glitch or exploit? It ruins the fun of the game if the race doesn't feel fair.

Next thing I have noticed is double weapons. This is much rarer but does seem to happen. A ship will fire off a weapon, then immediately drop a bomb, some mines or use a speed bost etc. How can a ship fire off two seperate weapons in a row without passing a pickup pad?

The only other thing springs to mind is one that I am fairly certain was a glitch is invisible ships. In one race, I started at the front of the grid. No ships overtook me, but from the second the race started I was already in second place and something like 6 seconds behind at the first sector. By the second lap the invisible ship in pole position had establised a 15 second lead. How can they do this??

I want to stress, I am not a sore loser. Some of the most enjoyable, exciting races I have had are ones where I have lost against a better pilot, or someone has performed some amazing manouvre or a great weapon use at the last minute. Fair races are fun whether you win or lose, right?

It's just sometimes it doesn't always seem to be fair.

Frailavi
14th July 2011, 10:57 AM
1. Ships don't always show the BR animation. Just assume they did.

2. Can't say I've seen this myself. A recorded clip (I know it'd be hard to get) would probably be needed first before we could really tell you how.

3. Sometimes lag does funny things. It can allow players to start 10 seconds ahead, or in my case allow me to start 30 seconds behind on TJ while I watch myself getting quaked before the camera is even behind my ship.

R3BU5ER
14th July 2011, 11:01 AM
No, cheating online is absolutely not possible. Trust me. I'm racing online for 2 years now....What you are experiencing is lag. For example: I had a 1vs1 race last week and my opponent was at the start/finish line all the 5 laps, But there were weapon pads taken when I crossed them, when the race was finished I lost by maybe half a second. I asked him WTF!? And he said he saw me at the start/finish line all the time :blarg

Lot's of strange lags and glitches can appear online...

s0mmieUK
14th July 2011, 11:07 AM
Ah, I didn't realise that the BR animation didn't always show. That would probably explain it.

I don't have any video capture equipment, so the weapons glitch would be hard to prove, but hopefully someone else would have experienced something similar.

The third one I am confident was just a glitch, just thouhght it was worth mentioning.

I always assume these things are glitches and accidents as opposed to foul play, but given that the PS3 and PSN is not the closed system it once was and that other games have suffered at the hands of hacks and exploits, it's good to be cautious I think!

Colonel
14th July 2011, 11:24 AM
The double weapons pads thing is interesting. I've heard accusations of people cheating in that way in Eliminator online, and had previously thought those allegations were true. Things have come to light recently that suggest it's probably just bollocks though. Not sure about double weapons in races though, haven't seen it.

UB3R~JKP
14th July 2011, 12:00 PM
To be honest, I there there are cheaters. I came across someone (a lot actually) who got Boost-Bomb-Boost-Bomb for a whole race, they weren't a noob either. Not someone on the zone though but an established pilot none-the-less. Maybe he's just really lucky. :lol

tug_14
14th July 2011, 12:12 PM
well, R3BU5ER , cheating online is possible ^^
i did it ...

get some air to take a "big" shortcut is not impossible , IMO ...

UB3R~JKP
14th July 2011, 12:13 PM
I know what you're talking about Tug. ;)

Colonel
14th July 2011, 12:13 PM
UB3R - It's bound to happen from time to time I reckon. I've done Elims where all I've got is cannons and leech beams for three or four laps, it pretty much ruins your chances of winning.

UB3R~JKP
14th July 2011, 12:18 PM
But this was pretty consistent mate. No joke, over about 5 or 6 tracks! :/

Constrictor
14th July 2011, 12:31 PM
Err, if that is true we might see some kick-ass records showing up when the leaderborads are working again. Even an average player might be able to achieve records with this amount of turbos ... Plz - god of SW developers - don't let that happen.

F.E.I.S.A.R
14th July 2011, 12:40 PM
I think the only possible glitches are offline modes. The glitched records are there because they were not patched yet.

hunterx848
14th July 2011, 01:58 PM
i had once 5:! quakes among 2 laps and destroyed 3 ships with that. :g track was vineta k
but anyway i expierienced a strange race
on chenghou project forward i was leading the race and were chased by someone .. let me say 0.5 sec behind me? and i took care to keep pickung up the x-pads so he doesnt get any items to attack me and im sure i didnt missed one. about 4 laps.. and still, he fired missiles and rockets at me o_O - and if im right, there are always single x-pads on the track. except the two on the ramp - but you can't reach both in phantom speed. only when slowing down o:

blackwiggle
14th July 2011, 02:12 PM
The only HD cheat known and used by those pathetic enough to use it is the Pseudo side shift glitch, it gives you a false speed boost
I'm not going to explain how it's done [you can find it in other threads], enough of a **** fight and bad feelings were cause already.
Let it die.

JFthebestJan
14th July 2011, 03:50 PM
'side shift' cheat? never heard of it. i think u mean a 'technique/feature', that involves using the airbrakes in a way u wouldn't do normally.?

R3BU5ER
14th July 2011, 06:09 PM
That's about in Jan.

You cheated online Tug?! How the he'll did you do that then...and I mean are you able to duplicate it? If you are talking about a uber-shortcut at Moa rev. Or something then yes, I'd understand. But isn't that a glitch really?

PEPEDA
14th July 2011, 06:36 PM
Hi all.

I´m level 100 on WOHD.Most of these levels i got playing eliminator since the feature was available.i suck on straight races because i like elim. more than race.
I can`t say 100% that one "pilot" can cheat the game...but i will tell you one thing:from my 100 levels more or less 60-65 levels come from eliminator, so i consider myself an experienced elim. racer, i raced a pilot 2 times 1vs1 and i couldn´t hit him clearly,shooting tons of missiles,plasma or rockets...."the guy of continous shield" as i know him.....nothing more.

Of course, i know the length of time for shield in eliminator, so i shoot him in the right moment thousand times with no result.....Mr. Shield.....

Colonel
14th July 2011, 06:46 PM
David, the "Mr Shield" you're on about happens to be bloody brilliant at both Zone Battle and Racing, why on Earth would he choose to cheat at Eliminator?

And we should just get it out in the open, you're talking about Tiduch.

PEPEDA
14th July 2011, 06:51 PM
Of course Adam.
I didn´t have a bad day....i was hot in the moment of battle....and no one hit clear???....no mate,aaaaaaaaalways shield.......easy on eliminator by absorbing any weapon......

NX-01
14th July 2011, 09:16 PM
:bombWoW! This went south fast. @s0mmieUK I agree with the lag issue. Lag causes strange sh$t to happen which creates glitches which have you racing ghost ships doing bizarre things. Now my racing strategy is to utilize weapons pads (my br skills are weak) and many times weapons back to back to win a many races. I use to wonder about the possibility of cheaters online, but I think not! I just attribute thoses players to know better shortcuts, are masters of br & got great skills. It's all in fun and I just take the loses as a "kick in the ass" to improve my gameplay. :D

tug_14
14th July 2011, 09:40 PM
i don't cheat online with my ID tug_14 ...
but yep i can do many " shortcut" on many tracks , im not practice them but some do as i can see on leaderboard ....
if u can perform them ( the cheated shortcut) in time trial ... why not in online races ^^

ps : im not cheating at any mode with my id tug_14 :naughty

NX-01
14th July 2011, 09:45 PM
I don't think doing shortcuts online is cheating, it take practice & skills to pull off. There are many video's of known shortcuts, not everybody can do them, and if you have the guts to hit them online, my hats off to you. :nod

tug_14
14th July 2011, 09:51 PM
i m not talking about these shortcut NX1 ...
im playing wohd since a long time and i can tell u that isn't what u thinking about

Some people here are aware about what im talk about ... very ugly things ^^

NX-01
14th July 2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks Tug 14, I am not aware of those ugly things and I will keep it at that.

GalacticSpartan
15th July 2011, 01:03 AM
If you do cheat, you`re a noob.

Tiduch
15th July 2011, 01:17 AM
About "continous shield" in eliminator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7nxGJshZLY

Look at moment:
10:56
11:39
13:44-14:11
15:44

Sometimes when I use shield after first shield I dont see barrier around my ship (I dont know wether my opponents can see it).
But lol, this is not cheating, i dont use it for special, this is for me animation bug and i dont know why it happens :|

feisar rocket
15th July 2011, 03:53 AM
I see what your talking about Tug, I saw someone take out "robots make robots" section on CP rev. with a turbo. I quit the game and found out how in Speed Lap. Do I use it? It rarely works and takes you back to the first mag-lock. Waste of time!

leungbok
15th July 2011, 06:53 AM
Some people here are aware about what im talk about ... very ugly things ^^

But so fun to do :P (without updating the record off course ;))

shortcuts like chengou rev's from the first magstrip are very known, i suppose Tug talks about Ubershortcuts, moa reverse is an examplej, but there's a lot more. Unseen ATM, except for few people in private videos.

If you do cheat, you`re a noob. many of these ubershortcuts are damn hard to perform, i don't think any noob can uses it. But who knows ? That's the reason players aware of it decided to not revealing those tricks, it skips a too much big part of the tracks and are due to abnormal lack of respawn.

Frailavi
16th July 2011, 09:38 PM
It's possible to cheat on any game, and I mean actual "Look at me, I've got infinite quakes". It's just that I doubt anyone went out of their way on a racing game that rarely someone talks in to do so.

MegaGeeza22
16th July 2011, 10:08 PM
I hate it when the race leader slows right down to let you past and then he fires his rockets...
This person kept doing it to me so the next time he slowed down i got behind him and used every bullet from my cannon and blew him up!!!!!
He left the race instantly lol...
Some people think its tactical to let people past and shoot them but i think its cheating and very disrespectfull.

greenymac
16th July 2011, 11:31 PM
Hey Mega Geeza, was this racers name Blackreign?

ion harvest
16th July 2011, 11:36 PM
i've played him before, he doesnt cheat from what i can see. he's just a good pilot who has probably got a few accounts. A lot of people play with different account. I got a new one now too. but i'm not telling anyone it hehe.

Some people think its tactical to let people past and shoot them but i think its cheating and very disrespectfull.
It's not cheating :D it's just being aggressive.

HAHA, he left your race? Awesome cannon play man. :D:mr-t:mr-t:mr-t

siriusglee
17th July 2011, 03:11 AM
The only HD cheat known and used by those pathetic enough to use it is the Pseudo side shift glitch, it gives you a false speed boost
I'm not going to explain how it's done [you can find it in other threads], enough of a **** fight and bad feelings were cause already.
Let it die.

I've noticed that I sometimes do a pretty snarky side-shift, but I only do it while playing unconsciously. Is it still cheating?

JFthebestJan
17th July 2011, 10:05 AM
no worries, there's no cheating possible, neither on- nor offline. there is the possibility to make use of glitches (exploiting / zone glitch etc).

MegaGeeza22
17th July 2011, 04:16 PM
I dont like to name names but honestly i cant remember....
Maybe its clever if you are both equally good pilots and you may gain an extra second on yuor opponent but if hes good enough to keep slowing down and pulling in behind you hes good enough to win already... play air combat if you want to play with those tactics.

ion harvest
17th July 2011, 09:13 PM
What is air combat?

I thought slowing down to shoot the others was part of the game mode in single player. I mean if people dont want to play like that there is zone battle where you cant slow down?

trackripper
17th July 2011, 09:45 PM
I think MegaGeeza means Ace Combat. :P Anyone wants to know what that is, ask me, Raptor 1 or Xpand on here :)

MegaGeeza22
18th July 2011, 12:41 AM
Yes Ace combat lol, sorry.
ion, i havent come across a game mode where your winning a race and you have to slow down and let the weaker pilots overtake just so you can try to eliminate them...
Yes Eliminator obviously but iv only ever come across this once, where the pilot who can easily win by 5-10 seconds slows down just so he can pwn noobs.
Its a race! drop a bomb if you dont like the person 5 seconds behind you...

lorezstar
18th July 2011, 03:51 AM
yeh i had this tactic used on me by someone (not sure who) 2 races in a row. first time i thought he/she had just hit a wall or something. 3rd race i got the shield in about lap 2 and kept it, sure enough he let me pass near the end i hit shield and won :D sure enough it was straight racing after that

ion harvest
18th July 2011, 08:46 PM
Yes Ace combat lol, sorry.
ion, i havent come across a game mode where your winning a race and you have to slow down and let the weaker pilots overtake just so you can try to eliminate them...
Yes Eliminator obviously but iv only ever come across this once, where the pilot who can easily win by 5-10 seconds slows down just so he can pwn noobs.
Its a race! drop a bomb if you dont like the person 5 seconds behind you...
I see your point.

I once had low energy and was in front and the guy behind me had quake so I side shifted and let him pass then hit him with missile just as he absorbed the quake. It was tactical so I didnt get hit.

It was a spur of the moment decision.

Dj Ziggy
19th July 2011, 10:57 AM
Well the problem is with Eliminator: yesterday i got the target: 600.. got 603
And the race was over, and someone did +1.. and I got 2nd.
That's cheating to me

Colonel
19th July 2011, 11:52 AM
That's not cheating, it's just playing until the final whistle. I've done it a few times :)

slow-train
20th July 2011, 04:27 PM
slowing down just to shoot someone is just bad sportsmanship, it usually leads to me rage quitting,or maybe a personal message telling them to stick to eliminator mode:naughty

trackripper
20th July 2011, 04:31 PM
Not a cheat per se, but normally on the first lap, on tracks like Chenghou Project, you hit the start boost, line up for the hairpin, turn in and what happens? The rest of the grid hit you like a herd of stampeding bulls and force you off the track. That absolutely wrecks a race, and its beginning to irritate me whenever that happens as I would have had a perfect line through the corner, but instead get rammed to one side.

MrSmadSmartAlex
20th July 2011, 04:45 PM
slowing down just to shoot someone is just bad sportsmanship, it usually leads to me rage quitting,or maybe a personal message telling them to stick to eliminator mode:naughty

If weapons are on at all, then there can be no real sportsmanship anyway IMO. I consider it a cheap and dirty victory if weapons are involved, so I say anything goes, within reason. They're based on luck, and also, it's ruining somebody else's race in order to win, rather than it being just your racing skill vs theirs. Just my take on it.

*ducks* :D

R3BU5ER
20th July 2011, 05:30 PM
Well, offcourse there can be sportsmanship when weapons are used. Gentlemens agreement' Like when I'm in first I tend to go for the successfull pacifist, unless the pilot behind me has declared war on me earlier, or when I know he's very skilled.and even then I try to minimise my defense weapons and only drop 1 bomb or some mines in a tactical place, when 1st is 2 sec. or more in lead I think dropping defence weapons is rather cowardly! People who do that I won't go easy on again lol..
I normally only use bombs to blow up incoming missiles or rockets.

And yeah ofcourse weapons can ruin a perfect run, but hey that's Wipeout, choose weps off then :) Or agree on green racing,

Edit: But we can all agree now that cheating online simply ain't possible :D

Whizawk
20th July 2011, 05:57 PM
You can't cheat, it's a matter of sportsmanship. ;)

Tiduch
20th July 2011, 06:09 PM
If weap on - you are attacked from weapons
If weap off - you are rammed

Where are 8 very good people in room, 50% of this race is luck for me.

trackripper
20th July 2011, 06:20 PM
Very true Tiduch, very true. It's so bad for me that in 50% of my races I've been forced off the track at some point, open section or not, whether from ramming or from weapons... :(

NX-01
20th July 2011, 07:51 PM
Exactly why I made the point about the ramming barrage going on lately. :frown:

KGB
20th July 2011, 08:34 PM
Not a cheat per se, but normally on the first lap, on tracks like Chenghou Project, you hit the start boost, line up for the hairpin, turn in and what happens? The rest of the grid hit you like a herd of stampeding bulls and force you off the track. That absolutely wrecks a race, and its beginning to irritate me whenever that happens as I would have had a perfect line through the corner, but instead get rammed to one side.

It's a killer corner no doubt, but if there is someone on the inside of you then it can't be that perfect a line really. The common line through there involves hitting the outside of the wall on the right hand side when you come round the corner, that's ok if there's no one else with you but if its a bit chaotic you need to start very wide before the turn then turn in early to nearly come up straight with the speed pad. If you misjudge it though you can end up facing the wrong way :paperbag:D

All the ramming isn't people being cheats, it's just the game messing with your mind, it's still annoying as he'll when it happens but after a while you don't blame who you're racing against just the lag.

trackripper
20th July 2011, 09:04 PM
It's a killer corner no doubt, but if there is someone on the inside of you then it can't be that perfect a line really.

Well when you're coming across horizontally on the perfect line from the outside to the inside, and the guy who doesn't understand racing line rams into your side, there's not a lot you can do even though you do have the line, several times I've ended up outside the track and had to be respawned, which wrecked my race. There isn't a lot you can do though, since as you said it was the lag :frown:

KGB
20th July 2011, 09:13 PM
If it's at the start of the race, do you BR before you get there? It can give you a bit of breathing space as not many new players will be attempting to perform one there.

trackripper
20th July 2011, 09:21 PM
No I don't, I've tried, and 1) I can rarely pull one off, 2) the speed you get going into that hairpin is suicide :P