PDA

View Full Version : L1 R1 / L2 R2 for airbrakes?

trackripper
12th July 2011, 09:45 AM
Personally I use L2 R2, I tried L1 R1 for a time, but found that you have to press really hard on them to get them to do anything, the triggers have a more gradual activation of the airbrakes...
On the other hand, L2 R2 for airbrakes makes it absolute hell to sideshift as you have to let go of the triggers completely before pressing them again otherwise the game just registers it as continuous use of the airbrakes. Can't tell how many times I've smashed into walls where I wanted to sideshift away but the game didn't let me.

Oryx Crake
12th July 2011, 01:54 PM
Its all about push sensitivity 50% sense means you only have to push half of the button in for the break to take full effect it gets a little twitchier but it helped me alot. Takes som getting used to in the begining but once you do it is a lot simpler to use

trackripper
12th July 2011, 02:25 PM
I might test around a bit with the settings, since the airbrakes in Pure were digital (?), and I liked how it handled then so I may give 10% sensitivity a try...

JFthebestJan
12th July 2011, 02:46 PM
L2 R2 is the way i use the airbrakes.
set to 100% sensitivity, same goes for steering control.
i tried L1 R1, but can't feel comfortable with it.

Oryx Crake
12th July 2011, 03:37 PM
10% might make sideshifts harder from what I've heard but yeah play around with it. personally I'm a very digital player all in all I use d-pad, low sense airbrakes, no sense thrust... the only thing I'm somewhat analog with is sixaxis pitch control which I have set at about 60-70 somewhere (absolutely awesome for tracks like cp fwd) for that extra element of control.

Though to be fair it's all about personal preference and I played with the default settings til about... january of this year... i.e. well after I got knocked out of the cup XD. and JF is one hell of a fast pilot so obviously his way works just as well.

Medusa
12th July 2011, 03:47 PM
L1 R1 for me, and for all but motion pitch control, I have the sensitivity set as close to digital as it can be. Airbrakes: on or off. Thrust: on or off. Steering: left or right. I just can't change, or when I go to play the other games I can't play them instinctively anymore! Muscle memory or something...

Handmadelion
12th July 2011, 04:15 PM
Love me those triggers, baby.

R3BU5ER
12th July 2011, 04:23 PM
L2/R2, 30% no motion pitch.

4tonmantis
12th July 2011, 10:29 PM
i like the l2 r2 layout for air brakes, however i didnt stop to think how the sensitivity setting would affect the side shifts, tho i did notice on some tracks where a side shift is necessary for a br, ive been having some trouble performing those lately since i switched from 50% to 70% ab sensitivity.

ill have to fiddle around with that some time.

blackwiggle
12th July 2011, 10:41 PM
L1 R1 for me
IMHO better and more natural hand position, my hands cramp up quickly if using L2 R2, plus controller feels more stable in my hands as I use both my index fingers for airbrakes, something that just feels wrong when using L2 R2, even after adding after market trigger grip's.
Less trigger travel, which makes side shifting easier as triggers are quicker to return to zero.

The only positive for L2 R2 is the fact that they are analog controls, so they have a finer control range making very minor piloting adjustments a lot easier.

And it is correct info in that if you have your air brake sensitivity set to a low % [40% and lower] that it makes the success rate of pulling off side shifts lower.

ion harvest
12th July 2011, 10:49 PM
r2d2 for me :D

sorry L2 R2.

50% sensitivity.

Works for me.

amplificated
15th July 2011, 05:07 AM
L2/R2, 100% sensitivity.

I just prefer it.

element42
16th July 2011, 07:42 AM
Square/triangle.
Go on, try it ;)

trackripper
16th July 2011, 11:56 AM
^ You're kidding me? ^

R3BU5ER
16th July 2011, 11:52 PM
Reach_big7 has been using it ^^

tug_14
17th July 2011, 01:17 AM
reach is using the right stick for airbrake ...
reach ?? if u read this can u agree ?

R3BU5ER
17th July 2011, 10:33 AM
No tug, square/triangle or triangle/square, I'm not sure :P

I've read that sometime, he posted it under one of his YT vids :)
I tried it, but then you have to remap everything, it's like learning to play Wipeout all over again lol.

tug_14
17th July 2011, 12:04 PM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5496&page=4

well,

R3BU5ER
17th July 2011, 12:09 PM
What's your point tug? Also there he says he uses the stick, (for steering) square/triangle for airbrakes, x for shooting and o for absorb...
Just as I said? ;)

Rekkuzan
18th July 2011, 02:16 AM
I'm not sure if anyone else uses this layout but i have

Left stick for steering/pitch control
R2 for acceleration
L2/X for airbrakes at 100%
Square/Circle for weapons/shield

Works well for me since I prefer a trigger for throttle :rock

trackripper
18th July 2011, 08:16 AM
I actually know someone who prefers triggers for throttle too, I think he uses:
R2 - thrust
Square, Circle - L/R airbrakes
X - Absorb
L2 - Fire weapons

Rekkuzan
18th July 2011, 04:20 PM
I think i prefer it since i've played too many other racing games and just got used to it since R2 was always a throttle button. unlike the wipeout series...it took awhile to get used to it in HD :dizzy

trackripper
18th July 2011, 07:02 PM
The only game I know of which has R2 as throttle is NFS Prostreet, GT5 has X, and most other racing games too...

Rekkuzan
18th July 2011, 07:22 PM
I played a lot of NFS....last time i checked GT5 was analog for throttle? i dont have it so im not sure past the demo...if anyone has it, is it any good?

trackripper
18th July 2011, 07:44 PM
I've played GT5 extensively at a friends, and it defo uses X for throttle :P It's alright, except apparently its very tedious trying to unlock cars etc etc...

The Black
19th July 2011, 12:17 PM
Standard controls for me, so R2/L2 with standard sensitivity... sometimes I even pull sideshifts accidentally, so no real problems in that area.

I played a lot of NFS....last time i checked GT5 was analog for throttle? i dont have it so im not sure past the demo...if anyone has it, is it any good?
GT5 uses analog or X for throttle.
It's a standard Gran Turismo, so no real innovations and qualifications are gone, but it's pretty enjoyable, especially with the online events that change every month (I think).

Aeralys
19th July 2011, 03:44 PM
L2 and R2 for me. I tried L1/R1 before but it just felt uncomfortable. Bought a pair of those "Real Triggers" to clip on my dualshock to see if they could help me airbrake more accurately, though I haven't been playing enough recently to test them out. Anybody else got these and find them useful?

trackripper
19th July 2011, 03:48 PM
These settings are frustrating me, and probably the cause of why I'm fairly bad at HD whereas I'm much better on Pure... Must get these settings right. Then I'm off. At least I hope :P

Colonel
19th July 2011, 03:53 PM
Bought a pair of those "Real Triggers" to clip on my dualshock to see if they could help me airbrake more accurately, though I haven't been playing enough recently to test them out. Anybody else got these and find them useful?

Yes, I bought a pair of those a while back, but they felt really weird and uncomfortable. I ditched them after a couple of hours.

Colonel
19th July 2011, 03:54 PM
Bought a pair of those "Real Triggers" to clip on my dualshock to see if they could help me airbrake more accurately, though I haven't been playing enough recently to test them out. Anybody else got these?

Yes, I bought a pair of those a while back, but they felt really weird and uncomfortable. I ditched them after a couple of hours.

Granpire Viking Man
19th July 2011, 04:35 PM
I've always used digital triggers for Wipeout Pulse, so when I moved over to Wipeout HD, it only felt natural to use the L1 and R1 triggers.

With the floaty physics of Wipeout, I'd rather not mess around with the large range of the analogue triggers. With L1 and R1, I know what I'm getting, every time.

trackripper
19th July 2011, 06:23 PM
Actually, the L1 and R1 in HD are also analogue. Which is why I'm considering setting sensitivity to 10%...

Whizawk
20th July 2011, 11:15 PM
I mainly use L2, R2. I can't really play well with L1 & R1 because it feels a bit weird and uncomfortable on my hands.

This is how I play:

feisar rocket
20th July 2011, 11:21 PM
I'm soooooooooooo diferent! I use square and circle for airbrakes. It alows me to "ag-drift." Something I made up...

trackripper
21st July 2011, 08:12 AM
I mainly use L2, R2. I can't really play well with L1 & R1 because it feels a bit weird and uncomfortable on my hands.

This is how I play:

Claw? I can see the advantages for CoD and stuff, since you can go prone etc etc, but wipeout? Ok, maybe for absorbing, but I can do that without letting off the thrust... Interesting anyhow.

...And what does Triangle do again? :P

TarquinFarqhuar
21st July 2011, 10:16 AM
I've just started using L1 & R1!.. It's twistin ma melon!

Whizawk
21st July 2011, 01:19 PM
Claw? I can see the advantages for CoD and stuff, since you can go prone etc etc, but wipeout? Ok, maybe for absorbing, but I can do that without letting off the thrust... Interesting anyhow.

...And what does Triangle do again? :P

My index finger on my right hand operates triangle and circle and my thumb operates X and Square while my middle finger operates R2 & R1. I know triangle has is the camera, I just forgot to put my finger on circle. :p

trackripper
21st July 2011, 01:32 PM
finally found the right settings today: R1 L1, 10%, its as digital as you can get which, coming from Pure, is a good thing. miss the momentum of Pure and simply swinging your back end out round a corner though :/ but thats off topic lol

JFthebestJan
21st July 2011, 03:06 PM

This is how I play:

i use just 4 fingers, cause of faster inputs and less mistakes caused by confusion.
left thumb = d-pad
right thumb = PS buttons (x; square; circle; triangle)
left finger = L2 (L1= turbo reset)
right finger = R2 (R1= look back)

UB3R~JKP
21st July 2011, 03:15 PM
Been forced to play with L1&R1 as of recent because of my controller, really liking it!

Flint Fandango
27th July 2011, 07:15 AM
L1/R1 is my favourite! But for a W3O-Pilot, the answer is crystal clear:

MyNameIsBom
27th July 2011, 07:19 AM
used to psp versions of WipEouts, so I prefer the L1/R1. I did try the Default control, just can't get used to it xD

Aeralys
6th August 2011, 11:34 PM

Now after having used them for a bit...

...I ditched them too xD
Feels better for some other games though, mainly shooters.

Back to good ol' slippery triggers! :rock

goddessloviatar
7th August 2011, 09:34 AM
I've used L2/R2 since 2097, I've tried changing to the top buttons in an effort to make sideshifts easier but I think my muscle memory is now too set for me to change. I had brakes set at 60% but ive changed this to 10% of late, it seems that I'm better at sideshifts with this setting as I've got more chance of getting 2 positive button presses if I dont have to mash the button so hard.

trackripper
8th August 2011, 03:56 PM
I've ditched L2/R2... L1 R1 now all the way :P

GrapeNuts
8th August 2011, 09:13 PM
L1/R1 here. I get cramp within minutes if I go L2/R2

Dan Locke
10th August 2011, 07:30 AM
1, because I like being able to side-shift.

Aeralys
10th August 2011, 09:42 PM
Experimented with both configurations yesterday on Chenghou Reverse (phantom) speedlaps to see if it really made a difference to me, despite being more comfortable with L2/R2D2C3PO.

L1/R1 time: 21.96
L2/R2 time: 21.95

So yeah, I'm airbrake ambidextrous.

Pez88
10th August 2011, 09:52 PM
I'm used to pure's/pulse's button layout so I use R1 & L1. I even changed look back to triangle :lol

Mr.Mech
10th August 2011, 11:45 PM
L1/R1, It's a comfort thing.

Ragsus Maxima
17th August 2011, 11:28 AM
L2/R2 with sensitivity value at 100%.
This is the setup I've been using since my beginning with this game and the setup I feel the most comfortable for me.

Carson
17th August 2011, 09:12 PM
I'm running the same setup. Even though I use the d-pad for steering and have the throttle set at 10%, I still like having 100% sensitive airbrakes. I feel like I have more control, and it's still easy to jam on the airbrakes if I need them (both of my trigger springs are broken). This also makes it easy to sideshift.

james1976
1st November 2011, 06:07 PM
I've found as of last night I do much better with L1/R1 and putting it at 10%. I did the accelerator the same way because I do not like having to press down hard on my buttons.

D_1998_BR
3rd November 2011, 02:05 PM
L2 and R2 seems more comfy for me,since its easier to half-press it,unlike R1 and L1 which are just plain Press-only buttons with less options of how hard to press them :sonar