PDA

View Full Version : How much do you enjoy racing at Modesto Heights?

XR_GTR
24th June 2011, 04:45 AM
^^ topic

For me, I hate it.

Forwards version... I expected to go flying off the bridge and trying to do a barrel roll... but guess what? MAG STRIP! And don't get me started on those chicanes. I get eliminated like 70% of the time in Phantom-class races because of that! And those 90 degree curves? No! Just no! Manor Top was the only track that could pull off 90 degree turns right!

Ah, this track is so frustrating. I can't imagine how bad it must've been for you guys to race at Citta Nuova in Pure...

Frailavi
24th June 2011, 05:05 AM
ModR is my favorite track ever. Forward is almost as good, but I love them both.

AspenExcel
24th June 2011, 05:07 AM
I'm a big fan of Modesto, like all of the fury tracks. I'm much better at reverse than forward because the hairpin is easier to prepare for. I've worked out a nice approach for taking the sharp turns like butter. :) The boost-barrel roll spot on Modesto R is really cool too because it's so fast.

mic-dk
24th June 2011, 05:25 AM
I like Mod F a lot. Mod R... not so much. It's quite a hard track to get to grips with, but very rewarding when you succeed.

Since I have no idea what "mai waifu" means, I vote 'Cool'.

Medusa
24th June 2011, 05:26 AM
I think it's supposed to mean "my wife". But with a Japanese accent. Mai waifu.

mic-dk
24th June 2011, 05:46 AM
Ah. Thanks. My lolspeak skillz are lacking it seems :p

Still, Modesto Heights is cool, but I wouldn't want to marry it!

Medusa
24th June 2011, 05:49 AM
Heheh me neither, I'm not really into having a wife.

Regarding Modesto, I liked it a lot in Pure. It's not my favourite in HD since I find it very difficult to see the track for the most part (internal view + very blue tracks = blinding...)

So I went with Meh I've raced worse (Outpost I'm looking at you)

Colonel
24th June 2011, 06:06 AM
Cool track on every mode, loads of speed / zone pads and weapon pads so it's always a blast. I sometimes struggle on MH Rev for Elims though, as the weapon pads are off the normal racing line so can be tricky to hit at speed, particularly on phantom.

F.E.I.S.A.R
24th June 2011, 06:13 AM
I say....
I've raced worse. Up to today,I've still yet to master Outpost 7...in the ship that has the best handling.

Flint Fandango
24th June 2011, 06:34 AM
There were worse tracks in PurE and Pulse, such as :donututp:donutst 7, Blue Ridge or that damn Citta Nuova...:blarg
I don´t really hate Modesto Heights, it´s more like turning a blind eye to this track.
Sometimes, I return to the tracks I don´t like and try to have a go there, but it always ends in ping-pong and explosions. :paperbag
To sum up, I´d like to say that Modesto sucks in a way that´s not comparable with hate but very close to nerve-racking.

The Black
24th June 2011, 08:08 AM
It's a cool track, but with the elite AI it's a pain, I always get distracted and mess up the chicane part.

Nutcase:259
24th June 2011, 10:05 AM
i used to hate modesto, now ive grown to tolerate and eventually like it.:lol
i prefer forward though as it seems easier to do that corner in one smooth motion. at least i think its forward? the one with the jump at the end :P

blackwiggle
24th June 2011, 10:18 AM
I don't hate this track...I detest it!
If I could delete it I would.
I can cope with the PULSE version of it no problem....but the HDified version.....get the bastard who designed that and let me have a shot at them.

A nasty, vile, piece of my favorite racing game that I avoid with all the dignity I can muster.

kanar
24th June 2011, 10:25 AM
I picked "i raced worse", but I must admit it's one of the tracks I'm avoiding most of the times. Especially the forward one, soo hard to get the flow. But wth tons of practice & bok's racing lines deep analysis, I should improve, eventually :P

amplificated
24th June 2011, 10:42 AM
Surprised at the amount of people preferring the reverse. I really like the fwd variant, but the rev is comparatively a chore with limited BR opportunities (and the ones that are there are nearly all very hard to do), and the two major turns are much harder to take. That first corner on the reverse version is a BITCH in speed lap, no matter what speed class.

mic-dk
24th June 2011, 10:56 AM
Heh, I couldn't remember which was which, and now you made med doubt. Youtube confirms that it is Forward I like the best. I have again updated my post :p

Interlewd
24th June 2011, 02:02 PM
I hate the Reverse version of Modesto so much. The chicanes are an absolute bitch to get a good racing line through, and there's so many other things about it that bug me. The Forward is better, but it's still one of the tracks I avoid when I can.

MiguelSkywalker
24th June 2011, 02:30 PM
You know? Most people get the 99 laps in Speed Lap mode trophy by jamming the thrust button and activating pilot assist.
I'm sure I'll have to get it playing Modesto Heights until my eyes bleed to nail the damn track once and for all.
I still think it is a pretty cool track.

Rennfisch
24th June 2011, 06:28 PM
Modesto is one of my least favorite tracks, but there's a track I hate even more. Therefore I ignore it if I can.
In Pure it's ok but in HD... :blarg.

trackripper
24th June 2011, 07:30 PM
I was really quite good at Modesto in Pure, so imagine my confusion when I didn't recognise any of it due to the reversed aspects of it. I have yet to play it forwards in the Campaign or online...

il_mago_di_Doz
24th June 2011, 07:59 PM
modesto is fun :nod

SaturnReturn
24th June 2011, 10:19 PM
Some people think everything is better shared with others. The narrow windy track of HD/Fury's Modesto Heights is clear evidence that this doesn't always hold true. On my own, I'm fine with it. Online with 7 other racers, no thanks.

zero3growlithe
26th June 2011, 07:58 AM
Modesto is one of my favourites :), especially forward, on reverse i have problems with hitting all speed pads :redface:

F.E.I.S.A.R
26th June 2011, 08:15 AM
Modesto,I myself find it fun. In fact,I did not try doing much BRs when I played the Pure rendition.
The question I want to ask myself is...
If I quite liked this(Modesto) track,WHY did I do practices on Citta Nuova,and why did I even try to BR there?

MrSmadSmartAlex
26th June 2011, 11:22 AM
Many people don't like Modesto, so I guess I like it by default. Same with Outpost 7 Black, Gemini Dam Black, and especially the magnificent Shitta Nuova (that one's hated so much that it's pretty much the only track on Pure that I play). :D

Nexus72
26th June 2011, 12:30 PM
I heat Modesto!!! :bat:bat:bat

Woopzilla
26th June 2011, 12:55 PM
Definitely mai waifu.

Jav
26th June 2011, 01:11 PM
You can't beat a Muuuzilla on his Modesto ;)

Challenger #001
26th June 2011, 01:55 PM
I love it. :) Maybe because it's a track that lends itself on phantom class to my very aggressive 'fling it into a corner and hope it sorts itself out' piloting method in my Qirex, but because in honesty... I think it's one of the better looking tracks in terms of the WipEout aesthetic. The holograms, floating transport tracks... Especially the reverse version. It's a joy when you get it right.

And to be perfectly honest, in terms of difficulty in navigating? Everyone who's played this series' fourth iteration has played something worse.

*Muscles cramp at memory of Cubiss Float 2*

Colonel
26th June 2011, 03:30 PM
Haha, damn right, those frigging ice pillars.

a3a33a3abf
28th June 2011, 03:30 AM
UberMall Foward is all the way for me :) but Modesto is good!

SycoMosh
29th June 2011, 09:12 PM
im cool with modesto reverse

but modesto forwards? UGH.. HATE IT SOOOOOO MUCH

THE_IcEMAN_
15th July 2011, 07:08 AM
Really enjoy racing MH In my opinion it's the best of the Fury tracks by far.
I enjoy the 1st corner under the tunnel then the 1st haipin Left most of all.

Even more fun is just playing it on SL and seeing how much air you can get of the last hump with a Turbo boost. turn's your lap time's to total cheese but so much fun :D

Whizawk
20th July 2011, 04:18 PM
I prefer ModR solely because I prefer not taking that big U-turn at the very start.

trackripper
20th July 2011, 04:25 PM
I don't find the U-turn a problem, its the right-left-left-right in the tunnel that gets me, and the chicanes after it are deadly if your line going into them is ever so slightly off...

Whizawk
20th July 2011, 04:47 PM
A little airbrake and side-shifting oughtta do the chicane/left-right-left. However I have problems with the U-turn at the very start on ModF because if you account for the speed you're approaching it at and listing angle of the craft on a little turn after the small jump at the start, it can be quite difficult.

Whereas on Reverse you gain momentum to take the U-turn because you were airbraking on the chicane beforehand.

Xpand
20th July 2011, 05:26 PM
I hate eet!!!

trackripper
20th July 2011, 06:23 PM
A little airbrake and side-shifting oughtta do the chicane/left-right-left. However I have problems with the U-turn at the very start on ModF because if you account for the speed you're approaching it at and listing angle of the craft on a little turn after the small jump at the start, it can be quite difficult.

Whereas on Reverse you gain momentum to take the U-turn because you were airbraking on the chicane beforehand.

I always find that doing anything while going through the chicane section upsets things completely, sideshifts shift too much and you have to be very nimble with airbrakes to correct your line, I've done it before but its slow. Quicker to just aim roughly down the centre and tap left right gently on the d-pad, if you smash into an apex, keep going, don't correct unless its absolutely necessary :P And which U-turn are we talking about here, just to clarify?

Colonel
20th July 2011, 06:39 PM
Zone runs are good practice for very tights sections like the tunnel at Modesto. At Super Zen there's no room for error at all, so it forces you to take a perfect line.

trackripper
20th July 2011, 06:43 PM
I'm guessing also because Super Zen makes Phantom look like a walk in the park? :P

ion harvest
21st July 2011, 08:59 PM
There are no lows in modesto heights :g

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/album.php?albumid=287&pictureid=3522

Colonel
22nd July 2011, 02:11 PM
I'm guessing also because Super Zen makes Phantom look like a walk in the park? :P

Yes and no, I probably crash less in a Zone ship at Super Zen than I do in a normal ship on phantom :?

DreamyElf
22nd July 2011, 05:08 PM
As some of my friends know Modesto Heights fwd is my fav track (maybe along with Sebenco Climb...), i just love it! :rock

I hate Mod rev though as much as i love the fwd version! :dizzy

ion harvest
22nd July 2011, 05:58 PM
but but but the turns are sooooo goooooda :D

Frailavi
26th July 2011, 04:43 PM
I only have 3 tracks with over 1000 laps. Sol2 Rev and Ubermall Fwd have just barely over 1000. Modesto Rev is at 3000 laps.

I think that sums up my time playing ModEstout HD.

MyNameIsBom
29th July 2011, 01:25 AM
it's has a stunning view, but the track itself seems to be drawn by a drunk person xD with over exaggerated chicanes after one another and the slightly-on-an-angle turns that will make sure you cash into the inner walls, and stay there... Got to <3 Modesto Heights!! ;)

I say....
I've raced worse. Up to today,I've still yet to master Outpost 7...in the ship that has the best handling.

Outpost 7 is not actually that hard if you actually think about it, try watching what the AIs do and try replicate them xD I can easily beat them 5seconds+ on hard difficulty ;) My 327 hours of WipEout pulse did pay off after all!! LOL

SaturnReturn
7th August 2011, 09:47 PM
Just a reminder to avoid posting consecutively within 24 hours. If you're going to be double-posting within a short time period, please use the 'EDIT' button instead.

Dusk118
12th August 2011, 10:06 PM
It's alright, but the reverse track gives me hell. Then again, ALL the Pure reverse tracks give me hell.

trackripper
12th August 2011, 11:21 PM
^that^

I love the FWD now lol :P forgotten which speed class but one of my times was up there, next to Connovar's on the leaderboard if I remember right, so I can't be doing too badly :P

Pez88
13th August 2011, 02:27 AM
Modesto's pretty fun, but I think I like the Pure version of Modesto better. The Fury version is too...blue. As for the reverse track, let's just say I'm not a fan of it :|.

Koleax
15th August 2011, 10:58 PM
Parts of Modesto can be photogenic, especially in Detonator, but it's definitely my least favorite track to race on Phantom. Modesto Rev is significantly more fun, though, if you ask me. It's Modesto Fwd, whenever someone selects it, I go "aww f---."

GiraffeRider
4th September 2011, 09:56 AM
Beautiful scenery, annoying track.

emwu23
5th September 2011, 08:08 PM
The most challenging track reverse of course.I prefer forward.Both Can show who is better in tough conditions.Visually masterpiece in wipeout,rev and for.Speed feeling is great.I love them even though Im still struggling to race on them.

AKira Shin
5th September 2011, 10:58 PM
A very nice track in my opinion, not my all the time favorite (ahh, Manor top...) but a cool one

skrotos32
5th September 2011, 11:12 PM
i love modesto !!! :rock