PDA

View Full Version : New WipEout Player

dkjestrup
14th June 2011, 04:22 AM
Hey everyone,

Just got WipEout HD with my welcome back to PSN game, along with Infamous. Have to say, I'm really liking it so far.

I'm looking for some people to play with online, preferably from NZ/Aus (I'm from NZ myself) due to latency, although I'm not sure how prevalent it is in this game. My PSN and forum name are the same: dkjestrup

As far as advice goes, what would be the best way to become good at the game? So far I'm just playing through the campaign on novice difficulty, planning to beat it, then maybe again on elite. Then I'll worry about online, as at the moment I struggle to stay on the track without crashing every second corner, even on Flash/Rapier speeds. Is there a better method?

AspenExcel
14th June 2011, 04:29 AM
HellfireWZ has just put together a fantastic in-depth "getting started" guide to the game. I highly recommend you check it out.

http://youtu.be/IxzYkTralIA

Honestly I got better at the game by watching guy's like yeldar2097, Leungbok (BADTESTERZ on YouTube), pirhapac, and Dark_Phantom_89's videos. They are really good and you'll quickly pick up some techniques watching them.

See you around, if you ever decide to race some phantom class online. ;)

Qgstkpnjtp
14th June 2011, 01:18 PM
Well, I'm aussie and after quite a few Elim sessions I can safely say that the latency is not a big issue in this game (thank goodness) =D

Regarding Flash/Rapier troubles: There are two good options, really. The first is the one that will help you improve the most, and that is to put the difficulty up to Elite straight away and get a gold medal on everything through the tried-and-true method involving not succeeding and trying again, or however that goes =P The second is to simply go to racebox and keep doing speed lap sessions until you can get perfect or near-perfect laps on every track while hitting as many speed pads as possible. Don't worry if you can't get perfect laps on Sebenco or Sol 2 - tbh it's better to nick the odd wall and get more speed pads.

If you can't handle the speed, what I did to get used to it was to just go into zone mode on Syncopia and just do like 8-10 sessions, ignoring the score and just going for a high zone. Even though it's a very basic track that you should be able to handle even at speeds above Phantom, just experiencing the higher speeds should make Flash and Rapier feel a lot slower and therefore a lot more controllable.

Of course, these methods might not work as well or even at all for you, but once you start getting the basic racing mechanics into your head, improvement should accelerate.

Good luck, and welcome to the Zone =D

dkjestrup
16th June 2011, 08:30 AM
Well I've only got two more nodes in Dropzone and the whole of Meltdown to go, to beat the campaign, but on Novice. I figure I might as well finish it first. Then I'll go to elite.

I think if I go for Arcade Perfect that should help due to practicing on Phantom and Elite.

At the moment I'm very comfortable with Flash/Venom, and Rapier seems possible although I have difficulties now and then. When I do the zone events though, I get dominated on Phantom.

Hellfire_WZ
16th June 2011, 06:16 PM
It's all about knowing the tracks inside out and getting used to the airbrakes. The more you play a particular track, the more you get used to how a particular craft enters each corner and where you need to apply the airbrakes. Speed lap is your friend there.

Welcome to the site BTW :)

dkjestrup
17th June 2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I can't race Phantom yet so I'm playing through Fury on elite, rather than Phantom on novice. What ships would you recommend? I like the Feisar, Mirage and AG systems so far, but the AG seems hard to barrel roll with.

icarasDragon
18th June 2011, 01:36 AM
I'd say that the FEISAR is good for having a look at tracks and seeing which turns might need a bit of work on the airbrakes, but not an overall serious contender unless you are willing to put A LOT of time into learning it's twitchy aerodynamics.

I can agree with you on the HD AG-Systems, it's a bugger to BR but the FURY-SYS seems to clear that up a bit.

MIRAGE does exatcly what it says on the tin, very balanced stats, if not a bit unstable laterally [You will get a lot of roll in internal view and off jumps, sometimes landing sideways 0_0 ].