PDA

View Full Version : Will VITA/2048 revitalize PURE & PULSE online

blackwiggle
13th June 2011, 12:35 AM
I've been searching the specs of the VITA, looks like the abilities, interface/connection wise, should be be similar to the PSP GO!.
Which means if I get one I should be able to use it like a Mini PS3, hooked up to a TV and use a PS3 controller.

Since Campaign in 2048 will be online I will need to use it that way to progress, something I never bothered doing with the PSP because I couldn't see WTF I was doing on the small screen, plus other control problems for me playing wipeout on a handheld.

Since the VITA will be using proprietary flash memory cards [The bastards] your going to need to transfer PURE & PULSE and all DLC to them to play on the VITA, which I imagine most people here that buy a VITA will end up doing.

So that begs the question, do you think this will revitalize PURE and PULSE online play?
Seems there might be a hell of a lot others out there like me that might never have played PURE/PULSE online before, similar to what we are currently seeing with the HD/FURY resurgence since the welcome back give away.

Just think, it would be the first time you will be able to play 4 wipeout games online PURE, PULSE, HD/FURY and 2048 all from the one console...talk about spoilt for track choice.

MrSmadSmartAlex
13th June 2011, 01:15 AM
If Vita can use Adhoc Party to play Pure and other adhoc-only games online, that'll go a long way toward convincing me to buy one. Is it confirmed anywhere that it can do this?
Yeah, I hope people play more Pulse and Pure with this. I think that it'll attract at least a few more players.

BulletWraith
13th June 2011, 01:15 AM
I heard that the Vita will not have Video out,
which makes sense so they can happily charge you for an upgrade down the line with other new alterations in the next version
and also so that in it's initial release it is focused as a portable handheld device to differentiate it from the PS3/being a PS3 replacement

another really strange thing was that it won't be able to connect with DS3's
which I find very very strange, I think I read this on joystiq, I'll go try and find the source
this is all early stuff so may not be reliable, at least I find the incompatibility to connect to a Dual Shock highly suspect

I really think it could do allot for Pure/Pulse
if I was still interested in handheld gaming I'd have a hard choice between 2048 and Pulse due to the craft skinning ability

BulletWraith

Edit:
it was Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/)

Q: Can you use a commercially available Bluetooth keyboard / mouse? Can you connect the PS3 wireless controller to the PS Vita like the PSPgo?
A: No. Users cannot use commercially available Bluetooth keyboard / mouse or a PS3 wireless controller on the PS Vita

Q: Do you have any plans to introduce a video output cable? Will PS Vita have HDMI output?
A: No, PS Vita does not have a video output feature.

quoted from: PlayStation Vita FAQs at US.playstation (http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=2254)

blackwiggle
13th June 2011, 01:46 AM
I've been searching for official TECH SPECS for the VITA everywhere, asked at official SONY forums etc, all I'm getting is Marketing specs [Touch capabilities, 3G etc crap] which is of no interest to me.

I've only had a response from one person that makes any sort of sense, and that was pointing out that the both the PSP 3000 & PSP GO! had video out, and the GO! also the controller features, and that from what few actual tech spec's that are available on the VITA that the USB socket is multifunction [so video output is a possibility ?] and the VITA also has 3 Bluetooth compatible modes, one of which I am hoping will be able to mate a PS3 controller to.

I somehow think that since at least VIDEO out has been a feature of the last two PSP's it will remain a feature in the VITA.

But if the VITA has been dumbed down and doesn't have video out and ability to use a PS3 controller, either wired or wirelessly, I won't be getting one.

And I guess not playing 2048, unless i'ts made available for PS3.

I'd just like to know one way or another.

It's either going to be as close to a dream come true [being able to play 29 PURE tracks, 32 PULSE tracks, 24 HD/FURY tracks plus the 10 [20 if they all have a reverse versions I suppose] all online via the one console.

Or a major disappointment, which seeing the way Sony have the never ending capacity to shoot itself in the foot with both barrels, wouldn't surprise me.

EDIT: Just read those links you posted.
It also just confirmed the last portion of this post, and proved yet again Sony are a bunch of idiots.
PSP GO! all over again = Epic fail about to happen.

BulletWraith
13th June 2011, 02:17 AM
'idiots'?
yeh not to sure about that
yeh it ****ing sucks that it can't do those two things
feels just like they are doing an apple and withholding tech so that the product won't overwhelm consumers with specs in the initial product so that the focus will be on new break through features (Dual Analog sticks/touch screen/motion) and then slowly trickle in with new hardware revisions/upgrades to sell more units, get more people interested

blackwiggle
13th June 2011, 05:40 AM
Why trickle UP?
Why not just design the thing to emulate the most successful product of the 21st century so far, the Ipod.
Except as a games console.

Design it as a portable, have the games down loadable, then when you get home just put it in a dock and have it play though your TV/system.

No, far to simple and fool proof for Sony.
Let's cripple it with no video out, make it so you can't attach anything to it, and top it off with a new sort of game card that is incompatible with every other type.

Sony Genius at work.

BulletWraith
13th June 2011, 06:06 AM
Memory Stick
need I say more

leungbok
13th June 2011, 06:26 AM
About video out, i really hope for that possibility. It'll be the only way for me to make some gameplay videos of vita.
Off course i'll have pulse & pure on vita. In that case, it would be great to have a graphically enhanced version of the games. Sony MUST include pure & pulse in "psp remaster series" program (i hope a little since they both are platinum games). ;)

blackwiggle
13th June 2011, 06:48 AM
Quote from VITA FAQ's:

Q: Do you have any plans to introduce a video output cable? Will PS Vita have HDMI output?

Q: Can you use a commercially available Bluetooth keyboard / mouse? Can you connect the PS3 wireless controller to the PS Vita like the PSPgo?

A: No. Users cannot use commercially available Bluetooth keyboard / mouse or a PS3 wireless controller on the PS Vita.

Seems I'm now out and no 2048 for me.

jesse9705
13th June 2011, 07:16 AM
PS vita is sounding like a killjoy for me....

mdhay
13th June 2011, 09:57 AM
If Sony are going to add new features akin to Apple's iPad strategy, I'm just going to buy 2048, that way, I know I have the game and can wait for the higher spec release, assuming these features are going to be in it.

Eden Priest
14th June 2011, 01:39 AM
well doesnt best buy have the buy back program so if you by the brand new PSVITA and then the new one comes out they will buy it back and you will be able to upgrade no hassel.

BulletWraith
14th June 2011, 11:21 AM
Sony PlayStation Vita's removable memory looks like it's an SD card, but it isn't (http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/sony-playstation-vitas-removable-memory-looks-like-an-sd-card/)
^link to the details
not sure if it is the game card or a card for separate storage eg: Music/videos etc, lets hope it's to store games, I'm hoping they will stick with Mirco SD for media, but I definitely wouldn't put it past them using yet another new proprietary format they've cooked up :turd

Edit:
oh :turd it's not the game card, it's for media storage http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306873/news/ps-vita-memory-sticks-pictured/
I'm just going top pretend this news doesn't exist
it's not like I'll ever buy a Vita
but for those who do
Hahaha okay now you've bought your Vita it's time to fork out another :turd load of cash for a memory card
and you can't use on any other company's products
Congrats

blackwiggle
14th June 2011, 11:45 AM
If you saw the crap I'm getting for pointing out all the failings of the Sony VITA at two other forums :brickwall.
The amount of uninformed people out there that have blindly fallen for the hype and PR BS about this thing without checking it out properly, some of these fools are putting pre-orders in for them.:rolleyes:
I must admit I was looking at getting one myself until I saw the Sony answers VITA FAQ's the other day, that's what burst the bubble.

They are in denial of the fact that Sony is bringing out proprietary media cards for this thing, and there is no technical reason as far as I've been able to find out why they need to do this, or what difference they are from standard high capacity cards as used in pro DSLR camera.
I've been telling them the only reason any company brings out a proprietary format is so they can make it cheaply and charge what they want for it.

UMD was the same thing-suddenly dropped, what makes them think the same thing won't happen with these cards.

BulletWraith
14th June 2011, 11:50 AM
and it's not like they will be using just one
it's two proprietary cards, one for games and one for media
***king Banana's

MrSmadSmartAlex
14th June 2011, 11:58 AM
I can understand the reaction to the memory cards, but why do people care about what format they use for games? It was just out of the question to use UMDs (or any discs) again.

blackwiggle
14th June 2011, 03:02 PM
Because they sell the bloody things then stop supporting them, and I mean totally stop supporting them to the stage where they make the data nontransferable to the "Next" model type.
They might as well just change the shape or the colour of storage format, it really is that ridiculous.

Then they say, OH, but the game is available to be bought at the PStore.
You say, but I have a perfectly good copy already that could still work if you chose to allow it.
And they say.......nothing usually.
The worse thing is we have been letting the bastards get away with it for years.

All Sony had to do when they decided they were going to stop supporting the UMD was to bring out a PSP software update that would of made copying to a memory stick a breeze.
Open up the PSP, insert the larger memory stick, insert the UMD, start up the PSP, select COPY DISC to MEMORY STICK, done....far too easy a solution for Sony.
They could of made it so that additional DRM was added to the copy as it was being made, so you could only play it on the PSP that did the transfer.
OR
They could of done the same thing a slightly different way by reading the UMD disc in the PSP and downloading a copy of the game into Media Manager [Now called Media GO] then transferring it to a memory stick, again with added DRM if they though it was necessary.

It's beyond built in obsolescence.
It's just outright contempt for it's customers.

MrSmadSmartAlex
14th June 2011, 03:35 PM
It's not a new PSP model. It's a new system.

Yeah, maybe they could do something with UMD conversion, I don't know. It would be great if they did though, yes. I remember that they were apparently working on something like that around the time of the Go's release, but they said that they had too many piracy concerns about it (or something to that effect).

UMDs had to go though. They're awful. Although BC is nice, there's no way that a UMD drive belongs on Vita. It barely belonged on the PSP.

BulletWraith
14th June 2011, 03:42 PM
this is pretty OT
but I just want to thank sony for dong something right for once
the PS3
user upgradable hard drive
able to use any bluetooth head set
able to use flash/external hard drives to transfer game saves, music/movies/photos etc

I just find that the PS3 works so well with my other devices, I wish the PSV would be similar in that way

and just an idea
if the PSV could be used as a controller for the PS3 I hope they let you use the touch screen as a keyboard for text input, that would be so so useful

Edit:
that's like saying the PS2 was not a new PS model
it's just like the PS2 replacing the PS and the PS3 replacing the PS2
the PSV is replacing the PSP/PSP Go
and I don't think he was implying that there was any reason for a UMD drive in the PSV internally or externally

F.E.I.S.A.R
24th June 2011, 01:58 AM
This is OT:

Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store add-on game content or the game save directly on the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich, immersive games.
Throwback to the cartridge days much?

feisar rocket
24th June 2011, 02:15 AM
Sony should know people with psp's have at least one awesome UMD game. It's kinda a waste to buy the same game but on a flash card, and it's gonna be more expensive! Sony should make PSV have an external UMD drive you buy seperately (now I don't need to sell all my psp games when upgrading to PSV!). One more thing with MS(P)Ds, what are we going to do with them?

jesse9705
24th June 2011, 03:12 AM
it's kinda bugging me how they are going too practically make it so we will have too re-buy our game's if we want too use them on the vita '-_- , And what's even more annoying is that they will probably shut down most of the online game server's for the PSP

leungbok
30th June 2011, 11:38 AM
Which means if I get one I should be able to use it like a Mini PS3, hooked up to a TV and use a PS3 controller.
In this video (sorry it's in french) they speak of an hdmi port ! ;)
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2011/00051759-idef-2011-jeuxvideo-com-vous-presente-la-playstation-vita.htm

amplificated
30th June 2011, 12:00 PM
While I've heard that the Vita's features are not 100% keyed in, I'm afraid that HDMI-out is officially stated to not be present (or in fact any video output of any kind):

Source:
http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=2254

leungbok
30th June 2011, 02:26 PM
Yeah but they don't only speaks of an hdmi port on the vid, they show it (at 1.50) ! ...So...except if it's some enhanced prototype... ;)

MrSmadSmartAlex
30th June 2011, 05:24 PM
I think that that's some developers' version of the Vita. The port probably won't be there for the consumer version, and Sony "confirmed" that the Vita won't do video-out on the official blog.

BulletWraith
1st July 2011, 09:47 AM
It's kinda a waste to buy the same game but on a flash card, and it's gonna be more expensive! Sony should make PSV have an external UMD drive you buy seperately

more Expensive?!, an external UMD drive, that would be expensive and lower the battery life even more.

newtype
5th July 2011, 05:05 AM
Slightly off-topic:

Does anyone remember when the PSP GO was announced? At first, Sony said it was working on a solution to convert one's UMDs into a digital format so that it would be playable on the GO. Not only did they fail to figure out how to do this and never delivered, but often times, some newly released games wouldn't even be available to buy from the PSN on the day of release (not to mention if you have a GO, you can't import games from other regions). Sony had (has!) no idea what they are doing.

As someone said above, their business practices, at times, are downright reprehensible. They should just keep everything relatively open like they did with the PS3.

MrSmadSmartAlex
5th July 2011, 11:11 AM
The thing with not all games appearing on the PSN isn't entirely Sony's fault, to be fair. The publishers don't have to put their games up there, and Sony can't force them to, although they could probably do a lot more to persuade them. There's absolutely no excuse for first party games not appearing on there though. Such as the Wipeout Pulse DLC not being on the US PSN...

kaori
5th July 2011, 12:41 PM
Nobody force people to sale or throw out the window his PSP to get a PS Vita 8)

And if you don't want move with 2 portable systems, a lot of PSP games cost 7€99 on PSStore, Pure & Pulse are part of those.

It's not a bad deal since my second UMD of WipEout Pure have broken. (I broke the first two years ago)

I just have to hope PlayStation Network won't be attacked once more time :g until PS Vita will be available.

RedScar
5th July 2011, 08:24 PM
Such as the Wipeout Pulse DLC not being on the US PSN...

Still the biggest sticking point for me with my PSP. One of the few games I enjoy on it and they jip me on content purely based on my region.

DJ Techno
6th July 2011, 04:32 AM
?

It better from all the so call technology and engineering in to the thing.

All the so call add to add on the game and features

Both the new playstation portable console and the game better

And better yet, for the year 2048 and how many teams including the original four.
Seems like somebody decided to rewrite a story or still build on it.