PDA

View Full Version : Mag Strips is 2048?

KamatsuKyoto
10th June 2011, 02:03 PM
I was watching the gameplay below of the Wipeout 2048.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW7w22vhfkc

I noticed that around 0:07 a Mag Strip appears on the track. Then I thought: The Mag Strips are not a recent invention that only appear in the Pulse / HD? So why do they included it in 2048, which theoretically is the first Wipeout? O.o

Apparently they are starting f*cked up the entire timeline... And that is sad, because I really liked the almost perfect timeline of the Wipeout series...

:|

Boycey83
10th June 2011, 02:54 PM
frankly it's a disgrace

leungbok
10th June 2011, 03:49 PM
Frankly it's already debated on another thread of wipeout2048 section !
Let's not create tons of new threads especially to fire an unexpected new game of the franchise.

Sausehuhn
11th June 2011, 04:54 PM
By the way: In this video it seems like the accelerator button is the right shoulder button and weapon fire is X. If that’s the default button layout, where do the airbrakes go to?

il_mago_di_Doz
11th June 2011, 05:02 PM
the airbreaks are in the motion controls

WolfKill01
11th June 2011, 05:04 PM
It's only one of many different control schemes that they have cooked up. Don't fret, classic d-pad and shoulder buttons layout are still there

MrSmadSmartAlex
11th June 2011, 11:11 PM
By the way: In this video it seems like the accelerator button is the right shoulder button and weapon fire is X. If that’s the default button layout, where do the airbrakes go to?

You won't need them on those wide tracks. :D

kaori
12th June 2011, 11:12 AM
And if WipEout 2048 (provisional name) hosts just THE league after Pulse, FX-500, a few years after 2207.

Promoters and sponsors will want to return at the dawn of the sport and create new tracks in the "old city", with "old" architecture of years 2000-2050 !

This league, around 2210, permits the presence of the FX-350 ships and tracks in WipEout 2048 (provisional name) :hyper

RJ O'Connell
13th June 2011, 03:03 PM
Who's to say that the programmers of Wipeout wouldn't have put in Magstrips way back in 1995, if it were feasible to pull it off on the PS1 hardware of the time, all while maintaining great graphics and a steady framerate?

Zynetic
13th June 2011, 04:08 PM
Perhaps so, but (as you probably know), it's already been established that Mirage created the Mag Strip technology, and they were only founded in 2202. This would (realistically) mean that it was only introduced in any shape or form (including prototypes) from 2202 onwards.

Introducing it in 2048 would create problems, as this technology wasn't even present back then, yet 2048 is trying to show the world before AG racing became a major sport. (what it looked like, acted like, etc.)

Mud-Chan
13th June 2011, 04:32 PM
Well, I agree with these story problems, in how they go back. However, it is important to drive the gameplay forward. I would hate to lose Zone mode and weapons just to fit storyline purposes.

So...I propose a quick fix that may satisfy people. So, Zone and Detonator appear to be training programs. The pilot synchronizes with the craft and uses these as a practice, much like a video game. This allows them to hit unreal speeds like Supersonic.

Now, Zone Battle, is a race with other competitors linked through the Zone training program. However, this one is watched thru computer/TV by millions, and is quite popular. Say they can get these things out by PPV and viewers can select which racer to follow and see any angle they desire to. The popularity of Zone Battle has allowed for the Zone training program to evolve into actual races. And where better to start than old conceptual tracks. You get the standard racing you are used to, but you get to see races on tracks that were planned for the start of the league, but never actually created. These will have old ideas like split weapon pads, but will have new technology like BR's, sideshifts, and Mag Strips(tm) implemented.

This would justify things like time trial races (where you cannot interact with opponents), and super-phantom/zen racing speeds. However, the knowledge that there are only 5 teams would contradict this, as you could only work in 20 new vehicles if you added a 13th team to Fury and added an additional (8th) skin for every racer.

So...gist of my post...would you be satisfied if you were just racing on conceptual tracks that were part of the "Zone program"? How about some other write-off? I don't know, just some random thoughts.

Sausehuhn
13th June 2011, 05:09 PM
Things like Zone or Super Phantom can fit into the storyline IMO. After all, Speed classes were available from the start, so those could indeed be canceled for the F3600 league because of the dangers. Even though I would not call in Phantom but something different to fit the storyline.

Things like MagStrips do not really fit into it at all, as – as said – MagStrips were invented a lot later.

There’s a fine line between what may fit into the storyline and what not – but includiing everything in HD plus more really does not give the feeling of a Pre-F3600 sport.

And lastly: Limitations can make you think twice about something and make you find new ways of making a thing interesting. I’m sure MagStrips could have been replaced with some ace track designs.

Medusa
14th June 2011, 04:28 AM
Who's to say that the programmers of Wipeout wouldn't have put in Magstrips way back in 1995, if it were feasible to pull it off on the PS1 hardware of the time, all while maintaining great graphics and a steady framerate?

Doesn't matter. They didn't, the game was awesome, and the wipeout game manuals state when mag-strips were invented.

I'm generally of the opinion that mag-strips are an attempt to make a boring track more interesting, which doesn't do anything to remedy the boring track...

I'd be surprised if they actually do bother to come up with some sort of plot fix to cover the gaping holes, unless somebody at SL actually frequents this forum anymore. Who else really cares other than the people on here? *trollllllllll*
SL? *trolllllllllll*
Anybody on here from SL? *troLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!*

jeez just bite already.

Dogg Thang
14th June 2011, 06:12 AM
There’s a fine line between what may fit into the storyline and what not – but includiing everything in HD plus more really does not give the feeling of a Pre-F3600 sport.

So the big question is... why? If they keep everything from HD/Fury, and it seems they have, why set it before the first game?

If they aren't exploring these limitations, aren't using it as a way to strip away the more modern features, what purpose does it serve?

Why is this game set in 2048?

lunar
14th June 2011, 07:05 AM
Marketing..... 2048 is just more interesting for SL to work with than a different setting even further into the future of the 23rd century, in a time that no-one can relate to and which would feel quite bland. "37 years from now, at the dawn of the sport" is just a more interesting line to sell it all with. This and the line about "Wipeout DNA" are the buzzwords being used to sell the game at this point, but are pretty meaningless really as none of it really fits into the either the timeline or the actual DNA of the game! The obvious contradictions of having Wipeout HD game elements in a game set in 2048, mag strips being just one of them, are problems for many wipeout fans, but probably are not such a problem for a commercially-minded game studio or many other gamers. In order to reconcile the details of this game with the timeline we are going to be expected to use a bit of suspension of disbelief (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief), and in the end I will live with that and accept the the commercial reality if I like the game :)

MrSmadSmartAlex
14th June 2011, 10:43 AM
Setting it in 2048 isn't about going back to the roots of Wipeout or anything like that. It's all part of their plan to start including cars in Wipeout games, so they can do some useless Motorstorm or Burnout crossover abomination. :lol

Dogg Thang
14th June 2011, 05:20 PM
This and the line about "Wipeout DNA" are the buzzwords being used to sell the game at this point, but are pretty meaningless really as none of it really fits into the either the timeline or the actual DNA of the game! The obvious contradictions of having Wipeout HD game elements in a game set in 2048, mag strips being just one of them, are problems for many wipeout fans, but probably are not such a problem for a commercially-minded game studio or many other gamers.

The flaw is highlighted here. Ultimately, the game seems to be a slight build on Fury (from what we know so far, admittedly limited). Commercially speaking, it's not in anynway different enough to attract a new audience. You're not going to hear, "Man, I was never into this Wipeout thing but, look, this one features old buildings!!!" And, if you're not going for a whole new market, you need the fans and early adopters to get the word out.

That's us.

Setting it in 2048 may give them something to play with in terms of building design. But, if that's it, it still seems odd.

If anything, a complete reinvention, whether a return to roots or a whole new reboot direction would have given potential new pilots a reason to try the game. That would seem to be a reason to set it in 2048. We may still have found stuff to dislike of course! But we may have mattered less if they actively wanted to say to the gaming world - this is a NEW Wipeout, for new players. More likely now the real situation will end up - if you love Fury, you'll love this, with the sound of the core WO fans grumbling in the background about timelines. And so what really is anyone getting from it being 2048? Just not really adding up for me.

Of course, like all discussion right now, I'm basing my questioning on limited info and it may well all fall into place at some point.

infoxicated
15th June 2011, 12:02 PM
I actually stuck in a window in the timeline between 2180 and the mid 2190's in case they ever needed a reason to do a reboot or back to basics game with a more rustic look & feel.

Figured we'd do it at some point after we exhausted the future aspect - considering once you're 200 years in the future you might as well be 500 years in the future, it's that intangible.

I wish I'd still been there to try and fight the case, but hey ho, I guess they have their reasons for butchering the backstory to hell. I could kind of see it happening at some point after the mass redundancies they've had at Studio Liverpool over the years - there's pretty much no lineage back to the Psygnosis days, so anyone who might have cared about that kind of thing is working elsewhere now... including me.

Medusa
15th June 2011, 05:57 PM
Possible fix for this:

*player completes all campaigns*
*the following appears*

You took the wrong pill last night. This was all a dream, straight out of the head of Alex Reece. SURPRISE!

Dogg Thang
15th June 2011, 06:27 PM
That would certainly do the job!

As it happens, I really don't have a major issue with a reboot that tosses the old history. Yes, the WO1 player in me would miss the history I experienced of course but it could also offer some new possibilities or a new interpretation. But it doesn't seem like we're getting that. I think that's where my confusion is. 2048's reason for being is not yet apparent to me.

But if it helps us old-timers, sure, we can go with the dream explanation!

RJ O'Connell
15th June 2011, 08:07 PM
Please no, the it's all a dream device is played out and has been for years, much more so than the cliche "gritty reboot"

feisar rocket
16th June 2011, 02:37 AM
Quick fix-

"We at WLF(World Legal Federation)desided after 2519, the year will change to 2000x to make history easy to remember. It's 2048x and, Wipeout returned after a economic pit fall lasting from 2514 to 2032x. This made more than 505 mil. people jobless and homeless..." I continue in Fan Fiction an other day.

This seems good enough to squeze into the W'O future, huh?

Boycey83
16th June 2011, 03:29 PM
In 2049 it is discovered that mag strips cause pilots to become sterile and a workable cure isn't found for another 200 years. Obviously!

Dogg Thang
16th June 2011, 05:05 PM
Although technically Mag Strips were invented much later so this must be early technology.

Electrograbbytracks™ Grabbing your vehicle to a track since 2037! Look out for Electrograbbyrails™ coming Q1 2050!

Roz
16th June 2011, 06:27 PM
In 2049 it is discovered that mag strips cause pilots to become sterile and a workable cure isn't found for another 200 years. Obviously!

Much better than the dream justification. I'd totally bite that.

RJ O'Connell
17th June 2011, 12:18 AM
How about it's not deemed to be safe to use due to excessive postive and negative G-forces put on pilots when making steep ascents and descents when the sport goes professional, like weapons being powerful enough to destroy other ships?

il_mago_di_Doz
17th June 2011, 12:26 AM
Ahahhahahaha omg, that's just BRILLIANT!! :lol :lol :lol

leungbok
9th July 2011, 07:01 AM
About Wipeout 2048, maybe we must consider this episode, like Tomb Raider anniversary was for Lara Croft's serie : A come back to the origins with the gameplay developped for the most recent episode (i mean additional moves like BRs, side shifts...). :)

GalacticSpartan
9th July 2011, 02:45 PM
Nope. It`s not been around that time.

leungbok
9th July 2011, 07:55 PM
What do you mean ? :eek

kaori
9th July 2011, 08:14 PM
Lara Croft will die before 2048 :cowboy

leungbok
9th July 2011, 08:20 PM
Oh sad news ! :( can't we hope something can save her in the future. Maybe magstrip's massive exposure should develop cells regeneration, reason it was suppressed post 2048 to fight overpopulation ! :lol

jesse9705
11th July 2011, 06:14 AM
Uh, Wouldn't it have been easier if they didn't make the timeline so complex that
it would ruin the timeline.....well you get the point....

DJ Techno
13th July 2011, 08:31 PM

Dude n 95 and 97(96)

They didn't need no mag strips for what they are working with.
In Wipeout 3, maybe cause in mega mall, manar top, p mar project. Maybe

No reason for mag strips in 95. It's the real beginning of the beginning.

In 2050 mag strips become produced for the racing track.

Naw
Like the first line of people said. The history and story of wipeout.

My baby Arial Tetsuo and bump the rest. For a games story to straight up tell u it was and had its problems making a world with ag. Cause I agree in Wipeouts first story. NASCAR is getting boring more n more and watching it myself with a group of buddies and a keg of beer.

Mag strips in 2048 don't go with 2050's Wipeout.

Their is no saying "it may have been there, but couldn't be fitted" cause then The First Wipeout would not have been hard n people who told me they had the game for years n hadn't beaten it.