PDA

View Full Version : Influx of new players....

greenymac
2nd June 2011, 02:09 PM
With this influx of fresh faced pilots coming to this game soon, I fully expect there be a ton of tom foolery in online races. (People flying backwards etc) But I also expect there to be some pilots who are going to take to it and love the game and try to get better. I know this for a fact because I have quite a few friends who Ive played other games with and theyre always good at them and they'll be getting wipeout soon for their free game. Now to my point, Should we pound these players incessantly or should we kinda try and take the challenge to only use weapons as we have to... I remember my first online races... mines... mines....bombs, bombs. I think it could easily run off some players from this game b4 they get grasp enough of the concepts needed for efficient piloting. I also fully expect a lot of people here to accused of cheating. LOL.:g
But anyways if any newer people to this game are reading this and have been lucky enough to find this community,welcome Wipeoutzone, theres a wealth of knowledge about this game to be found here all you have to do is read. If the game feels totally foreign to you and feels weird, don't worry thats normal it takes time, but once you really start to see yourself improve its highly rewarding...

R3BU5ER
2nd June 2011, 07:32 PM
Well, I don't think they will get slown down by me, mostly I'm too kind in using any weapons. Too bad I get my ass handed to me after some mayhem races! :d I'd say keep it weps off...but yeah then half the room leaves whaha. Anyways, I wouldn't be too concerned about that sort of thing. If there are really going to be a lot of new players, there will also be a lot of online rooms, so for every player a suited room. It'll work out just fine :) cya on trackzzz

Challenger #001
3rd June 2011, 08:55 PM
I was going to start a post about my overall thoughts about what should be done, but I don't want to clutter the whole place with dupe threads or what the mods might think qualifies as a dupe thread.

But here's my thought: rather than demonise and complain about these newcomers, and god knows I know a lot of you will - you'll complain about anything that wasn't Wip3out - why not go talent-hunting?

If we want this community to keep going into 2048 with the same strength, we need more pilots of good quality to join us, and the only way we can be sure of nurturing and growing talent is to take in apprentice Wipers. After all, what good is a talent if you can't share it with someone?

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to settle down at some point and start doing a lot of races, a lot of hard starts and battles to see which of the newcomers have the dedication to keep staying, to keep fighting. I'm not looking exactly for raw talent (I never had speed when I started after all) but I'm looking for people who want to become better. Invite them to join the WOZ forums, chat to them via notes and chat rooms, and do some private room events. Bring them up, and maybe we could have a couple of races between masters and apprentices. :D

What do you guys think? Anyone else with me on this venture?

greenymac
3rd June 2011, 09:02 PM
Challenger , Im with you 1000%. This is wat I was wantin to get at in this thread...

Frailavi
3rd June 2011, 09:19 PM
I would if I could get online on WipEout. Then the few times I got online I was excited to see a whole bunch of rooms. Too bad I can't join any of them without some ridiculous error. :C

Worst part is I don't know if it's the PSN being bogged down or if it's my connection. Both have been suspect all day.

greenymac
3rd June 2011, 09:22 PM
Im gonna put wipeoutzone.com as my comment maybe some peeps will see it and drop by...

JFthebestJan
3rd June 2011, 11:05 PM
this could be the beginning of a golden era for our beloved game.
40+ online rooms atm :D
let's see what happens until next week is over

KGB
3rd June 2011, 11:52 PM
Just had a look and Wow! I hope a lot of people are going to see what they have been missing the last two and a half years.

I've had to filter the list for phantom rooms for the first time ever

leungbok
3rd June 2011, 11:59 PM
hehe !

Aeralys
4th June 2011, 01:11 AM
lmfao @ the online lobby. First time I've had to use the filter!

Merry Christmas racers?

ion harvest
4th June 2011, 04:13 AM
Wahahahaa noob hunting season NOW OPEN.

Jokes.

jesse9705
4th June 2011, 07:22 AM
YAY i have now officially got wipeout HD/Fury

Reezy
4th June 2011, 11:09 AM
Online is rocking :)

Xpand
4th June 2011, 11:52 AM
I actually don't mind this influx, though it is a bit boring when the newbies start spawning in the middle of the track right in front of me or using weapon after weapon.

There was this time where I got eliminated 3 times in a row by level 2 players in a normal race because one after the other rammed into me and sent quakes everywhere and every time. :g

blackwiggle
4th June 2011, 12:10 PM
It's raining newbies, it's HUGE!!
50 rooms open.
There's never been a better chance to get your "Comeback king" badge if you haven't got it already. :lol

It's a bit dull thrashing people even after giving them 10+ sec start.
I've just been in a 10 race tourny doing that, the bloke who kept coming second cottoned on that I was sitting on the grid giving them a start, so he waited till I took off, must of got the shits because he quit the rest of the tourny, which was a pity.

Best thing you can do guys is throw a few races so the new pilots don't get disenchanted and throw in the towel early, that's if we want to keep these players active in the long run

Colonel
4th June 2011, 12:44 PM
Yeah! Online is full to the seams. We should embrace this guys, not fear it. Many of the new players will quit after a couple of days, but a number of them will go on to become valued members of our community. Wipeout HD's never been so popular, it's a very exciting time :)

blackwiggle
4th June 2011, 01:26 PM
I inherited a hosting position, Leungbok and greenymac joined the room and there were 5 newbies.
Rapier-pilot assist off-Sebenco reverse- new world record broken - most times Contender Eliminated was heard in one race, no kidding it must of gone off at least 40 times
I was crashing into the side walls I was laughing that much.
Funniest race I've ever been in, I think some of these newbies are using their feet instead of their hands on the controllers.

Only problem with all this activity is that I'm suffering terrible lag, still having some fun though.

Nutcase:259
4th June 2011, 01:53 PM
I think nows a good time to start playing about with other ships and game modes to even it up. i might find a new ship i like :)

did a 20 lap race in pihrana a HD, with a 15 second lead every one else quit by the 8th lap :( :g Mwhahahahhah

Colonel
4th June 2011, 02:47 PM
Just counted, 52 rooms. What's the highest you guys have seen? (This will only go up, in a months time it will be in the hundreds I reckon) :g

blackwiggle
4th June 2011, 03:01 PM
It will be interesting to see what it gets up to.
It's as big as I've ever seen it, and I've been on it since day one, I'd say very similar to the first weekend of HD's release, the only difference being far more US players this time around, I suppose that's because wipeout has always been the most popular in Europe.
It's certainly bigger than when HD/FURY was given out in the PLUS+ subscription give away.
Don't forget that if a room has 8 players in it it disappears off the board until the game is over, plus games that don't show up if it's a friends only room.

It's brought a lot of people back that have had the game since release date 2008 but never got into it which I find interesting, I suppose they lost interest because they didn't improve, but now so many are totally new to HD/FURY they feel that they won't embarrass themselves.

Colonel
4th June 2011, 04:13 PM
Good point blackwiggle. I'd noticed a lot of players recently that had clearly had the game for ages but hadn't played it much. They must have seen the Welcome Back package advertised and thought "Sod it, may as well dig it out and have another go, I can always thrash some "noobs" (I hate that word) when they get it next week".

I've noticed a few ghost acccounts though. I've been in SR, ZB and elim rooms where a rank 7 player is mysteriously good. I'm not keen on that to be honest, experienced players starting ghost accounts to thrash new players under the guise of being new themselves. Actually it sucks balls.

Qgstkpnjtp
5th June 2011, 12:28 AM
Gaddafi: Yeah, Greeny and I found a lot of ghost accts when we've been playing over the past few nights. Most of them were 20-30 or so, though.

MegaGeeza22
5th June 2011, 12:56 AM
Yes i just had the same problem... i got beaten by 6 secs by a lvl 3 opponent! they were called lo_oza lol and they only had 3 trophys...
Very sad indeed, and i bet most of them are from this forum because of their excellent skill :|

blackwiggle
5th June 2011, 12:59 AM
I thought somebody that decided to host a phantom race- Moa Therma F- 20 laps with weapons off would be pretty confident a racer, so i joined the room.
All newbie racers, they weren't really bad, they just need the control that comes with endless practice, only one person managed to eliminate themselves, but I still found myself lapping the whole field twice.

There are some good prospects among the newbies racing out there ATM, it's just trying to find some sort of balance between coming across as condescending [by getting caught out sitting on the grid giving the field a 10+ second start :redface:] and thrashing the bejesus out of them. :naughty which will just make the new racers give up.
Which is the last thing we want.

Just remember people, the way we treat these newbies now might determine how many stick it out to become the new elite pilots, and then want to go out and get 2048 when it's released.
Huge potential here.

MegaGezza- Yeah a few of us have run into lo-oza, I think it's either Sinus-1 or Dantrich using a different account since they are both from germany.
I know Sinus-1 retired that name once he got to level 101
There's a few ex zone pilots zooming around out there under different PSN accounts.

Woopzilla
5th June 2011, 01:37 AM
And this is where the game sort of lets us down... if there were only some sort of chat interface (even during races just like in PC games).

I remember racing online when I was new and not registered here yet... I just never knew what the other racer's intentions were. Are they deliberately hammering me cause I'm new? or are they simply very competitive but actually, as it turns out with nearly everyone on the zone, very friendly and happy to help out with tips and advice.

Colonel
5th June 2011, 07:36 AM
MegaGezza- Yeah a few of us have run into lo-oza, I think it's either Sinus-1 or Dantrich using a different account since they are both from germany.
I know Sinus-1 retired that name once he got to level 101

He is still using sinus1, I've had a few rapier sessions with him lately. I was pleased the other day because we were really even, usually he thrashes me.

xEik
5th June 2011, 01:09 PM
Well I'm only level 17 online but I'm just a couple of tournaments short of all elite gold medals in the HD campaign (mostly for lack of time for trying harder).
People can be moderately experienced and yet have spent very little time online as it is my case.
I always loose at least by about 5-10 seconds to the average/good pilots and usually beat newbies by 5-10 seconds. I guess this makes me mid/low level tier but I was consistently placing better than a level 34 player yesterday. I just probably played more offline than him.

greenymac
5th June 2011, 01:20 PM
I also raced sinus1 just the other day, so he's been around.

MegaGeeza22
5th June 2011, 10:33 PM
I dont mind people having more than 1 account... after all MegaGeeza22 is my second account because i gifted my 1st account to a friend but i now have it back!
I just think if you want to play through the game again and get your 2nd wipeout platinum you should choose a name similar to your 1st account... i.e MegaGeeza_22
I haven't played much wipeout because im rinsing the ps+ games before they expire... but Wipeout online is great and a lot more fun! there's so many rooms to choose from! and i see the "active users" on the forum is steadily increasing!!! :rock

Mud-Chan
6th June 2011, 01:56 AM
Well, this seems like a good place to give my first post. Hi all, I'm not quite in the influx of new players, and I've been reading through these forums since March, but just decided to join. I bought HD+Fury back in October.

I've been waiting until I had the chance to mess around with Blender to join for the fan-game thread, but this seems to be a good time. I've seen many of you online, and maybe I'll see you on the tracks.

About the influx of new players, I'm trying to go nice on the newer racers and let them win, give them some interest in continuing rather than cause them to quit. Unfortunately, I think they may think I'm toying with them and it's having the opposite effect. I try starting late, but then still pass, then I let them pass me, and pass them again...probably not too great looking. It's easier in Flash and Venom because I can just slam a wall or two and it doesn't seem so obvious. I'd like to see a lot of new racers stick around a while and get more competitive, because I cannot find anyone around my skill-level (rank 28 ) in the Phantom races.

If any of you need another so-so player in your game, I pretty much stick to phantom SR and Tournament, though I suppose I'd try some ZB. I'm not great though, so don't expect a grade A performance lol. Thanks for listening/reading.

-Love Mud:rock

leungbok
6th June 2011, 06:41 AM
I don't think letting new players win is a way to make them stay in the game.
They must see how to race HD tracks from experimented pilots and maybe they'll keep racing to reach one day that level.
At first it's cool to see so much room for wipeout online, but mostly lot of newcomers enters or creates phantom rooms where they can't properly finish the race and they spam bombs, mines when they're last, it must be soooo fun apparently, i usually shoot when i lap them because they're a nuisance during big fights with good pilots. I already dislike a lot the overpowered/random weapon system, but when it's guys who uses weapons not to pass someone but only to annoy the leaders, it's very upsetting. Turning weapons off usualy make them leaving ;).
If they're surprised of losing by 20/30 secs after creating public phantom rooms, they're desperate cases. There's all the options to choose speed, friends only rooms or invit only.

KonnecT
6th June 2011, 07:12 AM
Thank you for being so kind to us sir. You won't have to worry about my noobish skills for a while though, since I will be married to SL learning all the tracks at different speeds first (will take awhile). Just subbed to your youtube channel, amazing videos.

leungbok
6th June 2011, 07:30 AM
That's the best way for newcomers to improve their skills and apreciate the game (and that's how to make me really worrying of your noobish skills) instead of jumping on phantom public's rooms with experimented pilots which lead to frustration IMO ;)

KonnecT
6th June 2011, 07:39 AM
Thank You Sir. I'm just glad you didn't post "That's the wrong way to improve" lol. BTW do you have any tips in side-shifting sir, if you're not to busy doing insane barrel rolls lol?

leungbok
6th June 2011, 07:52 AM
sideshift on speedpads it'll save some tenths of a second ;)
I go back to barrel roll now :lol

KonnecT
6th June 2011, 07:55 AM
Haha Thank you sir for the tip, enjoy your barrel rolling :)

Eden Priest
6th June 2011, 08:05 AM
yeah im "welcome back" pilot as well eventhough ive been playing WO 64 and have been practicing on pulse non stop ive gotten better but theres like no one to race at pulse im alright i can run rapier tracks almost compleatly clean just need pilot training and advice.....anyone up for a go? (please state time.)

Chet_BG
6th June 2011, 08:30 AM
It's awesome to see so many new pilots. My worry is that many of them got the game just to try and platinum it, because of the difficulty legends. They go straight to Phantom, straight to Zico, or straight to Zone Zeus. And of course they fail. They get very frustrated and they quit.
I have friends who bought the game and did that. And here the game is free. So very few of this pilots will take the time to play the campaign on Novice and learn the game step by step and eventually become good.
To those players who do - I wish you all the best and I hope we get to make some good races soon ;)

KonnecT
6th June 2011, 08:44 AM
I've actually had the game since 09' played it for about 4 days then quit. The only reason why I decided to play again is because someone refered this site to new players on the another forums. Been playing for about 4 days now and I'm actually enjoying this game alot, best racer I've played this gen hands down.

The learning curve is ridculous though. I have to learn the HD+Fury tracks forward and reverse at 4 different speeds HAHA. That is insane man lol, especially since every track has is completely different. Without this forum I probably be playing something else at the moment.

Ohh and thanks Chet.

Chet_BG
6th June 2011, 08:50 AM
You're welcome!
And for starters, try to learn only the forward HD tracks. After that learn reverse, and then the same with Fury. If you haven't seen it, Hellfire's youtube channel has tutorials on all tracks I think:
http://www.youtube.com/user/HellfireWZ#p/c/291994E3331211F5
Try learning the tracks on Venom. When you know the track itself it will be a lot easier to learn the higher speeds ;)

KonnecT
6th June 2011, 09:01 AM
Thank you sir. I have seen the majority of his videos and made it to chengou project until I decided to change up a bit. Venom/Flash is pretty easy after you learn the track but rapier/phantom is pretty intense..well for me lol. So I'm back to Vineta K working on Phantom atm, since I'm pretty good w/o hitting the walls and doing BR's.

I will do will go through every track until I am at least average through all speeds before going online/doing the campaign (started it already but I rather learn first). Thank you for the tip Chet, if you have anymore sir i'll be here for awhile :).

Colonel
6th June 2011, 09:45 AM
Doing both Campaign modes is the most sensible start IMO, then mixing some Racebox with some online races and some trophy hunting. Just taking your time and having a go at everything really.

When I think how hard WOHD was at first it's ridiculous. the last Wipeout game I'd played was Fusion, which I was very good at, but the difference was astounding. I was crashing all over the place and struggling against Novice AI on venom.

It's just practice, plain and simple, and taking the advice of more experienced players. The Youtube vids / tutorials help greatly, they show you what's possible, even if you'll never master some of it.

Edit: Oh and I've been chatting with some of the new players online. Some of them are really keen to learn and are already falling for the game. I've pointed them in the direction of WipeoutZone, hopefully some of them will come. :)

Eden Priest
6th June 2011, 10:06 AM
thanks for the tip colonel ive been tryin for hrs trying to get outpost 7 (pules)down and i cant seem to post a resonable time in eather races or TT?
by the wayy this fourm has help me alot with this game and i can just tell you guys a flood (if you havent already seen ) of new pilots are coming i have been pushing this game as a must download to friends and they said after they got it they would do the same.so its time to put hello my name is stickers on and befriend pepole.
this has spured me on to continue past that four day block that most get from playing other games for to long with no real achivement and konnect if you ever just want to get some online practice im game for a go

KonnecT
6th June 2011, 10:07 AM
Blah Colonel you just made me hit a wall lol, almost had my first perfect on phantom (I'm Lying really). Campaign seems like a good idea, but I rather put the pratice in first so I can start above skilled when I start.

I'm just stuck on Vineta K atm, the tunnel is really getting to me. I know I'm supposed to Lightly tap the left air break through the first half, but when doing so I always crash into a wall lol. I have the air breaks on L1, R1 as suggested with a sensitvity of 50. I might switch it back to the shoulder buttons because I might be pressing it too hard.

Infamous 2 comes out tomorrow, I've been waiting for that game for awhile. I actually don't care lol, I really have no urge to play anything else.

Sounds good Priest, PSN is the same as my noob Pilot Tag (Konnect) lol. But like I said in my last post I would like to get the majority of the tracks down before going online.

Eden Priest
6th June 2011, 10:33 AM
alright not a problem im working on tracks as well and the extra practice is defanetly needed please let me know when you are able to race good luck to you konnect :+

KonnecT
6th June 2011, 10:39 AM
You can hit me up with a friend Req anytime, us new comers have to stick together lol

Eden Priest
6th June 2011, 10:46 AM
haha tis true

Oryx Crake
6th June 2011, 11:08 AM
nice to see new names :) I try my hardest to find new talent but it is hard... so I wanna ask you guys who are new to the forum how would you go about recruiting people?

KonnecT
6th June 2011, 11:18 AM
Hello Sir. I honestly think that you shouldn't actually look for talent but for people that will be dedicated to learn and improve, since us noobs don't possess "quality talent" yet lol. Just look for those that actually "enjoy" the game, it shouldn't be too hard :)

Eden Priest
6th June 2011, 11:23 AM
nice to see a reply :D well possably befriend them i guess maby post a tag inviting all newcomers to post there game tag and intrest, skill level, teams they prefer ,and things of that nature then experts like you could go through and just talk and race them ( this is all idea in my blasted brain) i know that it would be really apreceated if they would take more notice in the new guys...sorry if i sound a prude. im just really getting into this sport

KonnecT
6th June 2011, 11:26 AM
Dude a sport man! You're right about that man haha!

BulletWraith
6th June 2011, 11:28 AM
well I'm about to play my first online race, I've played around with the game for a few hours and absolutely suck
I got a PS3 to play this game then never ended up getting it as I wanted to play it with a friend I use to play 2097 and 3SE with then never got WOHD as She ended up moving away
but a freebie, yeh I won't wait anymore :hyper

zer:donutshen

SycoMosh
6th June 2011, 01:45 PM
really is the best racing game ever imo

finally platinumd that mofo and can finally stick all my focus into speed lapping :D

i consider myself to be an "advanced noob" since i started playing when everyone online was *$##@) good - but with practice, a lot of the guys i had a lot of trouble with im starting to be able to keep up with, and thats actually quite a rewarding feeling.

this game is the epitome of the phrase never give up man... just have faith that it'll come - but you'll only get out of it what you put into it.

i think the things that helped me improve a ton (granted i still have a long way to go) was

#1 speed lapping to memorise the tracks

once ur confident on that track

#2 phantom elite racebox

why jump into phantom? well any other speed classes under phantom really feel pretty damn slow after you get used to phantom... you can aim for trophies here as well as practice. but be warned, elite ai will make ur cornhole pucker and cry repeatedly.

but when ur online - just as with phantom elite, ur gonna learn one thing.

TAKE THE LEAD AND HOLD IT - once ur ahead whore up those weapon pads cuz dear god if someone behind you gets a chance to blast you.....*()$#*()$#@

anyway phantom elite trophy training will def help you learn the tracks forwards and backwards and since you'll be practicing them so much, you WILL learn them. worry about the fancy barrel rolls after you can pull off clean laps

anyway im always down to play with anyone, feel free to add me if u need someone to race with :)

KonnecT
6th June 2011, 02:14 PM
Syco that was really a great post man. Good job on hanging in there and getting better. I also think this is the best racing game out there even though I had it for 2 years and didn't play it lol. Also thanks for the training tips.

SycoMosh
6th June 2011, 02:26 PM
well its jus kinda whats workin for me

its not uncommon for me to still lose races by 15-20 seconds with some really good pilots and when i run into every weapon imaginable

some of those guys are amazing, and it feels so good when you keep up with that elite pack throughout the race... its def a lot more exciting than falling way behind and it feeling like a glorified time trial.... lol

at the end of the day though, youtube + speed lap = the keys to success imo

KonnecT
6th June 2011, 02:36 PM
Dude if you're 10-15 secs a great pilot what does that make you? A great pilot as well haha. Spped Laps yeah, in the process of doing those now. I might move on to the next track now, but that phantom tunnel on Vineta K is boderline annoying. Sometimes I can go through it like my ship is made of vaseline, other times I feel like a pinball.

I really really wish I actually devoted time to this sooner, this is really a crap year to get focused on this game...because its all I want to play lol.

Qgstkpnjtp
6th June 2011, 03:07 PM
The problem with the difficulty in this game is that the kiddies who play CoD come in expecting the game to be like Mario Kart or pretty much any modern shooter where you can jump into the top speed and handle it with no experience, only to find out that this is a game you actually have to work at to be good at.

Personally, I like a challenge and that's why I've put so much work into this game over the past two weeks. Problem is that most people trying this game out for free aren't gonna be like that.

It's not such a bad thing because it'll weed out the the people who have made MKWii such a horrendous community, but it's not going to help with activity levels very much in the long run.

NX-01
6th June 2011, 04:12 PM
It's raining newbies, it's HUGE!! 50 rooms open. There's never been a better chance to get your "Comeback king" badge if you haven't got it already. :lol It's a bit dull thrashing people even after giving them 10+ sec start. I've just been in a 10 race tourny doing that, the bloke who kept coming second cottoned on that I was sitting on the grid giving them a start, so he waited till I took off, must of got the shits because he quit the rest of the tourny, which was a pity. Best thing you can do guys is throw a few races so the new pilots don't get disenchanted and throw in the towel early, that's if we want to keep these players active in the long run

:lol Finally got my "Comeback Badge" Thank you newbies. Why they jump right into Phantom tourny is crazy and then by the third race start dropping out like flies is so damn funny. I got two message accused of cheating! :rolleyes: Hell, I even throw a few races to just keep them around. Hoping a good percentage of these newbies get there game together and hang around for the long haul. In the mean time "Release the CRACKEN" :beer

Frailavi
6th June 2011, 04:50 PM
I really don't like how all of them open "Tournament" rooms just to quit after the first race anyways. :(

I keep hoping to find 1 or 2 pilots who stick 'till the end so I can thank them and show them WOZ.... but it still hasn't happened yet. At least on the Tourney12's.

I remember picking up the game not all too long ago. I just did about 10 speed laps on the forward tracks and then racebox/campaign'd them. But you really won't know how good you know the track until you race someone like DP, yeldar, Tarqin, KGB, or other experienced pilots on it. So I think Online Phantom is the best way to master a track, but not really for first picking it up.

Also, ask questions to those experienced pilots. There are some little things that can make a significant difference.

Clon3-Command3r
6th June 2011, 05:40 PM
New pilot here, not new to the WipEout series, but I am new to WipEout HD. I first started playing WipEout about 7-8 years ago on the PS1. I can't remember what WipEout game it was, but I distinctly remember the menu screen was dark blueish. I had a lot of fun playing it, and it was one of my favorite PS1 games.

WipEout HD was a game I had been interested in, but I hadn't bought it because I wasn't sure if it was worth it. So when it was included for free in the Welcome Back package, I jumped at the chance, and I've been really enjoying the game.

It's funny how I found this site really, I was looking to find out how to play the 4 zone-only tracks, like Syncopia, on regular races and this site came up on Google. Seems like a good community.

Lol at you guys talking about people jumping in at Phantom speed. I have been sticking to Venom and Flash, because even after all these years having not played WipEout I remember I would always try racing the game I had for PS1 on the highest speed, and I would run into walls all over the place.

This game I've been playing really well, I've won two online races on Venom, one by a margin of 5 seconds, the other by 1 second. I struggled my first offline race, but once I got the controls down(which wasn't that long actually) and learned to airbrake I started doing well.

And Leungbok, thanks replying to me on PSN, I'll check out your Youtube acct and figure out how to use Syncopia in online races.

BTW, are all those single race times I see where people do an entire race in like 29 secounds legit?

NX-01
6th June 2011, 05:42 PM
I really don't like how all of them open "Tournament" rooms just to quit after the first race anyways. :( I keep hoping to find 1 or 2 pilots who stick 'till the end so I can thank them and show them WOZ.... but it still hasn't happened yet. At least on the Tourney12's. I remember picking up the game not all too long ago. I just did about 10 speed laps on the forward tracks and then racebox/campaign'd them. But you really won't know how good you know the track until you race someone like DP, yeldar, Tarqin, KGB, or other experienced pilots on it. So I think Online Phantom is the best way to master a track, but not really for first picking it up. Also, ask questions to those experienced pilots. There are some little things that can make a significant difference.
I agree. Hell, I'm still learning from the experienced pilots; shortcuts, rocking barrel rows, racing lines, etc.. I've messaged talked to at least two newbies about needing to practices, racing with "AP off" will get them better with time. Told them about not getting too frustrated in the begining about not placing on the winners platform every race. Added them to my friends listing for racing together whenever. Will mention this forum next time. :nod

Clon3-Command3r
6th June 2011, 05:49 PM
Shortcuts? Care to tell me some of them? I haven't noticed any yet.

I'm someone who doesn't care about winning every race. I just go for a top 4 finish. Though winning is nice of course. Bi-winning is even better. (Had to throw that in!)

FirstDave
6th June 2011, 05:51 PM
A good source of learning is to watch some shortcut vids of WO HD on youtube.:nod

Dave.:P

kanar
6th June 2011, 05:54 PM
A warm welcome to all the newcomers. Hope you'll realize you missed one of the best game ever made :P

Remember one thing; there's no spoon, and you can definitely handle phantom class. Practice is the key. And hell yeah, 793 Km/h (wth of course boost accelerations at 1200 lol), THAT'S SOMETHING.

The X1 stuff looks like karting compared to that, believe me.

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/picture.php?pictureid=3404&albumid=210&dl=1307382413&thumb=1 (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/album.php?albumid=210&pictureid=3404)

NX-01
6th June 2011, 05:54 PM
Shortcuts? Care to tell me some of them? I haven't noticed any yet. I'm someone who doesn't care about winning every race. I just go for a top 4 finish. Though winning is nice of course. Bi-winning is even better. (Had to throw that in!)

Best place to learn about shortcuts is youtube. Just type in the subject and you wil find many videos on the subject. All are not easy to pull off. Just practice and watch other experience players online. 8)

leungbok
6th June 2011, 06:04 PM
And Leungbok, thanks replying to me on PSN, I'll check out your Youtube acct and figure out how to use Syncopia in online races

My pleasure ! I have also some shortcut videos on the channel ! :)
About that, when a newcomer asks you tips there's a great youtube channel to advice them :
http://www.youtube.com/user/WipeoutZoneVideo?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/5f7NJ0Wd1-o

And fot racing tips a great stuff courtesy of Saturnreturn : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzo903Qr7lo

Later, for almost impossible tricks : http://www.youtube.com/user/pirhapac#g/u ;)

PEPEDA
6th June 2011, 07:34 PM
Tons of straight races and tournaments....not too much eliminator rooms....

infoxicated
6th June 2011, 08:18 PM
It's raining newbies, it's HUGE!!
Heck, I better download 'HD quick whilst the new pilots are still below my level! ;)

There have been a heck of a lot of new accounts on here over the weekend and today - usually 50% are spammers, but the last few days it's been real folk.

Nice! :+

leungbok
6th June 2011, 08:27 PM
BTW, are all those single race times I see where people do an entire race in like 29 secounds legit?
No ! glitched times ! Maybe spectator mode's bug.

skunk
6th June 2011, 09:41 PM
Hey guys, another "Welcome Back" player signing in. Just wanted to say "Hi" and express my absolute love for this game. I played the first Wipeout on PSX and a little of Pulse but WOW! playing this on a big screen with HD visuals is insane. I'm hooked. I'm already 1/2 to 3/4 done the HD campaign and have a fair amount of online races under my belt (majority wins:cowboy). Although I started feeling bad and threw a good amount of races to some early level dudes cuz I know how much it sucks constantly losing in racing games.

One thing im wondering: Where's all my Triakis brothers at?? Drifting this tank around the circuit is soo goddamn fun. I'll see how it goes at the higher speed ratings but I'm guessing i'll have to switch to Piranha/Icarus to stay competitive.

Frailavi
6th June 2011, 09:48 PM
Welcome skunk! Not many pilots play the heavier weighted ships, just out of preference I guess.

The stats on the ships don't make a huge difference. Just find a ship that you like for its looks and handling then you're set!

greenymac
6th June 2011, 10:20 PM
Man, Im so glad to see some pilots really taking to this game...I'm advertising the zone in my psn comment hoping to bring more people here that really wanna learn and improve their piloting. i think I even posted ove ron other forums about this place!

NX-01
6th June 2011, 10:24 PM
One thing im wondering: Where's all my Triakis brothers at?? Drifting this tank around the circuit is soo goddamn fun. I'll see how it goes at the higher speed ratings but I'm guessing i'll have to switch to Piranha/Icarus to stay competitive.

You are so right! It's a tank. It's looks good with the Fury skin. I did use last night against the new pliots, but I prefer "Mirage" must often. Try them all, it's a matter of taste. Hell, I get beat all the time with heavy (tug boats) from the experience players. Enjoy and I'm sure we will meet up soon on line. Look for ViperDroid, NX-01 or Warp-5 in front of you. :g

skunk
6th June 2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! You all seem like a very mature group which is both surprising and awesome. I'll definitely look out for you guys, I'll be the lone Triakis shooting for podium!

also, are there any unspoken rules of the road or specific racing etiquette that I should know about?

ex:
-grinding up on people
-dropping bombs just before the finish line (my mario kart instincts tell me to do it but it feels dirty in this game)

NX-01
6th June 2011, 10:56 PM
1. grinding up on people is natural, just don't be a dick about it.

2. dropping bombs at the finish with more than a five second lead is a: dick
but - dropping a bomb in a heated close race is called an competitive edge. :rock

3. Never accuse anyone of cheating - just because they beat you with more than a 10 sec lead is not cheating, but skill, master of the game physics & experiences. Hell I will never get over "Blackwiggle beating me that bad"

Boycey83
6th June 2011, 11:09 PM
Damn, I feel bad. Before the weekend I only had about 12 wins online (and they took a lot of hard work to get), now I've got over 50.

Qgstkpnjtp
6th June 2011, 11:15 PM
my mario kart instincts

lol, the funny part is that Mario Kart instincts for me = 'if you drop stuff before the line, half your friend roster will delete you'.

NX-01
6th June 2011, 11:30 PM
Damn, I feel bad. Before the weekend I only had about 12 wins online (and they took a lot of hard work to get), now I've got over 50.

Well you should be ashamed of yourself for taking advantage of these newbies! :naughty Enjoy it while it last, by the end of the month their number will drop off and a good percentage of them will grasp the complexity of the game and make you work a lot harder for your winnings. But, it all in fun & it's good to see the online play revitalized. :clap

Clon3-Command3r
6th June 2011, 11:52 PM
Well, then I better start racing constantly to get better and get some easy wins, haha!

BulletWraith
7th June 2011, 12:19 AM

I was wondering the same thing, I'm using Triakis aswell, to me it feels a bit like Qirex for 2097/XL and with the Fury skin it looks amazing/goes with my name
is it harder to be competitive with this craft?
as a new player I find the Shield helps allot!

churr churr
-zer:donutshen

Eden Priest
7th June 2011, 04:39 AM
Hey wipeoutzone I just though I should make a formal introduction and express my love for the series I played a little on the WO64 and now I can't stop this sport yes I'm am a "welcome back" pilot :paperbag and need a little Practice on HD just extremely fun to go through and race a new game with some relly genuine pepole. :) haven't been able to get into any race rooms though online the past few days and that's where it's fustrating :bomb but just keep flying high I guess.

Any advice for a newcomer? add me if you can that would be appreciated and one more thing. What team is good to suggest besides the staple feisar.

Thank you for your time.

skunk
7th June 2011, 04:59 AM
lol, the funny part is that Mario Kart instincts for me = 'if you drop stuff before the line, half your friend roster will delete you'.

lol completely understandable. I guess I should've noted that I only do that to my close friends playing split-screen. I'd never do that online hahaha.

NX-01: Someone's a dick then. He had a sizable lead and pre-finish-line-bomb'd me. Good to know it's not normal practice.

BulletWraith: The Fury skin is what caught my eye and I'm loving the super shields. You can take a beating and still Barrel Roll your way to victory.

trymion
7th June 2011, 04:59 AM
i haven't played wipeout since the original back in dos.
i was a huge fan of racers back then (whiplash, wipeout, hi-octane) but it died off after
a while.

i haven't played any other wipeout since, i suppose it's because i wasn't a big console
gamer. considering i just got a ps3 last summer, i don't have much.

absolutely loving whiplash hd.

i've been going through the HD campaign (then will move on to Fury) and have been doing
fine against the elite AI..

up until sebenco climb.
holy. crap.
i think i spent over an hour playing that one event just to edge first place at the end.

afterward, i decided to search for a video to see how to tackle it and the videos i saw
blew my mind. i can only wish i can reach that level.

Frailavi
7th June 2011, 05:03 AM
Any advice for a newcomer? add me if you can that would be appreciated and one more thing. What team is good to suggest besides the staple feisar.

Thank you for your time.

The best advice to give is, not even the best pilot in the world can place first every race. So don't ever feel discouraged by not finishing where you expected to.

The best looking team is the one for you! Find a ship that handles nicely for you, and you're set. The other stats don't make too much a difference. Don't expect to take Piranha and beat a Goteki 45 off the starting line or anything, but pilot ability is the key to success.

Eden Priest
7th June 2011, 05:31 AM
thanks Frailavi your right it is kind of discouraging the first coulple times but i guess i need more practice and thanks for the ship advice. i have seen alot of pepole go for certian teams but i wanted some more sound advice why a ship is better than " it just is "

leungbok
7th June 2011, 06:46 AM
NX-01: Someone's a dick then. He had a sizable lead and pre-finish-line-bomb'd me. Good to know it's not normal practice.

Lot of fast pilots uses the last item as soon as they hit the pad just in case it's a turbo because fast pilots wants to be...fast, so sometimes it can be bombs or mines, you must always be wary of the last drop even if the leader used to absorb more than dropping during the race ;)

Dropping bombs or mines when you're last with no chance to win a race or a rank, but only to annoy the leaders is a very weak behavior IMO :naughty

Chet_BG
7th June 2011, 07:45 AM
i wanted some more sound advice why a ship is better than " it just is "

Try them and find the one that suits you. For example when I started the game I looked at the stats and saw that FEISAR is the slowest with the best handling. It looked like the perfect ship for newcomers and I chose it. But I found myself oversteering and hitting the inside walls in turns. So, after a few races I decided to try a different ship. Assegai seemed very balanced. Good at everything, but best at nothing lol. I played the entire Novice campaign with Assegai, but when I switched to Expert I was having a lot of trouble winning Venom races. So for Venom and Flash I used Icaras. When I got to Rapier I returned to Assegai, but it's weakness showed up. Very low shield... The AI on Expert spams mines, bombs and rockets and after a barrel roll and a rocket I was already low on Health... I decided to try all ships and find the best for me. I made 20 laps on speed lap with every ship on Vineta K, I think. The best time I achieved was with Harimau, but I felt the handling of the heavier Goteki and Qirex better for me. And since I love the looks and color scheme of Goteki, I chose them and even though it's slow I have never regretted this. I sometimes play Harimau, I have 100k loyalty with both, but nothing feels like Goteki for me.
Just find the ship for your style of play. That's a tip for all newcomers, still searching for a good ship ;)

dpmjam2005
7th June 2011, 11:08 AM
hi all i got wipeout as part of the welcome back pack and after being addicted to uncharted 2 for the past year i think ive found a new love!! So glad i picked wipeout, its awesome ive been spending all day in work making a soundtrack to put on later lol Ive decided to run through everything on novice 1st, ive got gold medals for the first 4 stages (well except one race on the 3rd i cant seem to finish better than 3rd!! i played 1 online race and came 1st so i think ill leave off for a while to keep my 100% My fave part has got to be the zone mode with sum trance music its awesome. The only thing im gonna have to research are the controls as i dont think im braking right at all. But anyway just wanted to say hi to the community.

Qgstkpnjtp
7th June 2011, 11:52 AM
everything on novice 1st,

Trust me when I say you'll want to do Elite. It'll save you a lot of time and you'll improve much faster.

greenymac
7th June 2011, 11:56 AM
I would say the same...You'll find yourself progressing further as a pilot much faster by kicking the difficulty up to elite right off the bat.

Chet_BG
7th June 2011, 11:56 AM
I do not agree. If you start on elite you might get frustrated a lot. I started at Novice and when I got to elite I had already improved a lot so it wasn't frustrating until the cheating AI on Phantom.

mic-dk
7th June 2011, 11:57 AM
And turn off Pilot Assist as soon as possible.

Colonel
7th June 2011, 12:25 PM
My fave part has got to be the zone mode

That's great to hear, Zone's my favourite too mate. I'm expecting to see some new Zone WRs in a few months time, when all the new players such as yourself have had some practice.

Welcome to Wipeout :beer

Qgstkpnjtp
7th June 2011, 12:39 PM
I do not agree. If you start on elite you might get frustrated a lot.

That's kind of the point though. This is a difficult game, and you'll only get more frustrated by putting yourself under a false sense of security that you're better than you really are, for the sake of avoiding small amounts of frustration.

Hell, I nearly **** a brick when I was doing the Sol 2 race on Flash in the HD campaign because the AI was being incredibly lame and getting missiles behind, mines ahead and turbos in 1st. All that did though was make it more satisfying when I finally beat it, then won first try in the tournament later on. If you take it as a motivator (since, after all, it's the best the game can throw at you) instead of the game hating you, it just makes victory all the sweeter.

Chet_BG
7th June 2011, 01:24 PM
If you play the same race 100 times you'll eventually win. It will be sweet, but most probably it will be luck and it'll take 100 more races to do it again. If you're not in a hurry for a Platinum or something I don't understand why you would jump straight to Elite. I prefer to take my time and slowly learn the game. I'm not lying myself that I'm a god for beating the game on Novice. I know that there are two more difficulties after that.
Everyone has his own way I guess. When I started playing Pulse, I started on Elite, but I already had experience in HD/Fury. For someone absolutely new in this type of game, I think Novice is a must.

Colonel
7th June 2011, 01:33 PM
I did some of both campaigns on Novice, but then went back and did them all on Skilled, then left it for a bit and did them all on Elite. The gradual progression that you make elsewhere in the game (online, racebox) makes it much easier when you step up the difficulty settings.

I have some sort of OCD when it comes to things like this anyway, I much prefer the feeling of gradual improvement than trying to nail something first time.

s0mmieUK
7th June 2011, 02:25 PM
Hi guys,

Another new pilot here! Just picked up Wipeout HD as part of the welcome back package. It has really renewed my love of Wipeout, especially the online play, so much fun. I have managed to work my way up to rank 19 since Saturday, but can only really play Venom and Flash class at the moment, could probably just about hold my own on Rapier, bit currently Phantom is way out of my league.

Have had some epic races online so far though, and most people seem to be really good sports, and the community in general seems to be a fun place to be!

Looking forward to racing you guys online! :)

KonnecT
7th June 2011, 02:51 PM
Ok..I have read alot of posts in this topic from veterans of the game and how a newbie should start. I would love to do the campaign on novice then skilled and so forth as suggested something does not compute..

Every Speed is different (venom-phantom) so different that alot of corners are different everytime you switch the speed level. So in theory you would have to learn a track in 4 different speeds...am I correct?

Now after getting playing SL in phantom mode for a while all the other speeds feel...well slow mode and way easier for some reason.

So lets say I learn every track perfectly from venom-rapier, once I hit phantom my nickname is "hit wall very hard" because the speed and techniques applied at this speed is vastly different. For instance HellFire's fantastic tutorial really only applies to phantom speeds, so it is very confusing when trying to learn every track.

Watching other pros play this game is a sight to behold, its like a gorgeous painting. How and when am I supposed to compete with this. 3 years from now lol (this game came out in 08, everyone juping on board now is late). I wish there was a definitive way, a 1 2 3 a progress to this game. In order to get that potential out of the gamer.

Anyways I will keep on trying because this game is amazing.

Chet_BG
7th June 2011, 02:59 PM
There is a 1 2 3 step progress:
1. Practice
2. More practice
3. Even more practice
I cannot play Phantom. Well I can but I am not good at all. My class is Rapier. I am not as good as many of the people here, but I think I'm doing alright. The more I play, the better I become. And I can see that by the times I have in speed lap and time trial.
Just play the game and learn the tracks themselves, not so much what is the exact moment to steer and brake. Once you get used to the physics and your ship's handling you'll have much easier time in the corners on the different speed classes.

greenymac
7th June 2011, 05:28 PM
Lets just put it this way, If you want your level of play to skyrocket in a short amount of time then u start out at elite or learn to fly at speeds youre not comfortable at faster... I am walking proof of this. :+

leungbok
7th June 2011, 05:45 PM
Spartian's training ! ;)

s0mmieUK
7th June 2011, 09:29 PM
Well, I thought I'd step out of my comfort zone and try some online Rapier races tonight. I did about three or four single races and I don't think I did too badly. No podium finishes, but no last place or DNFs either.

Need some major practise though. Some of the guys racing were amazing.

chboing
7th June 2011, 10:47 PM
my thumb hurts.

After some months/years of not playing, i played 3/4 hours this afternoon
it feels so good !! i reached level 42 ... :)

i had to use phantom filter for the first time too, i guess i will be online more often in the coming weeks, and i hope i will see you online too fellow zoners.

Eden Priest
7th June 2011, 10:52 PM
There is a 1 2 3 step progress:
1. Practice
2. More practice
3. Even more practice

Just play the game and learn the tracks themselves, not so much what is the exact moment to steer and brake. Once you get used to the physics and your ship's handling you'll have much easier time in the corners on the different speed classes.

i agree wholely thats all ive been doing these past days over repatition is key when i went online for the first time i was amazed that there deffanatly progressmade i tried a phantom and it seems that the practice pays off :g im currently having challenger as my coach and it helps alot i really want to race some of the guys here though im nowhere near some of you guyses level
some courses just twist to fast like sebenco climb and the third modesto turn:brickwall

trymion
7th June 2011, 11:53 PM
i'm gonna have to agree with jumping straight to elite AI.

but that's how i treat every game.

i did start with pilot assist and novice AI for the first few races, only to get aquainted with
the controls and how things "work." i disabled pilot assist first, staying with novice. after
the first (extremely easy) gold win, i moved up to normal - getting a gold on first try, then
elite and have just stayed on elite since.

unlike other racers, it's extremely unforgiving, so starting off at the "hardest" and working
to beat it will make you better in the long run.

even moving from 8th to 3rd is a huge step in elite.
at least, it was for me.

Nixxus
8th June 2011, 10:36 AM
I couldn't agree more with "unforgiving", i'm one of the "newbs" that picked this up on welcome back after playing the PSP version at a friends over a year back. and my ... i was supprised at how 1 simple mistake can throw you from 3 seconds ahead of 2nd to stone dead last.

Ayways, hi to everyone here, and maybe we should get some "Packers" vs. "Oldies" races going, see hoew many of us you can scare off :P

zero3growlithe
8th June 2011, 08:13 PM
Hmmm, i've read some of posts here and...yeah... here's my tutorial on how to become a WO King:

1. Make some Racebox races on Flash/Novice/Wep On/VinetaK fwd for as long, as you'll be able to beat AI everytime.
2. When completed, try to rise AI Difficulty to Skilled and try to do some barrel rolls to tame with them :g (especially the first one on that little jump... yeah, this one)
3. When you'll get yourself tamed with that speed and difficulty go online (if you have internet, but you have, becouse you're reading this... don't know if it's yours... nevermind) and set a room with Vineta K set on Flash/Wep On/PA On (but you can't use Pilot Assist :P)
4. Play some races (don't care if you lose... be happy when you win :g).
5. Now standard... HD Campaign on skilled difficulty (novice is good too). Complete it as far, as you can... if you get stuck (for example: you don't know track...) go play speed lap for as long as it's necessary, and go back. When you get to higher speed... i suggest you to go play online to raise your skills... on flash (look for movies on youtube (i suggest WizardPlay's movies) where many barrel rolls are shown, but don't learn all of them from movies... try to find them by yourself :) It raise your skills)
6. When you're winning with players that has rank 50+ , that means that you can make yourself comfortable with Rapier Speed Class :) Congratz :+
7. I think that you know how to progress to Phantom Speed Class, so i'm looking forward to see you after at least 150+ hours of gameplay.

Write if you have any questions ;)

R3BU5ER
8th June 2011, 09:59 PM
Goddamn :g

Nixxus
8th June 2011, 10:56 PM
Bleh, only been playing a few days and already sick of of the assist+icarus spam =<. Cant wait to get my skill up and hopefully join some assist off organised races.

KonnecT
9th June 2011, 01:31 AM
Zero now that was a great response to my post sir, actually made me smile a bit especailly after watching you videos YT :). Thanks again

OBH
9th June 2011, 11:11 AM
My bros playing WO in the other room, i dont remember the last time there were so many rooms!!! :g:+

Darloryan94
9th June 2011, 12:53 PM
I always had trouble against other racers online, pretty much cos i'm pretty bad at HD. So meeting some rookies on HD instead of the usual players would make a welcome change for me.

F.E.I.S.A.R
9th June 2011, 12:57 PM
To be honest...
I've NEVER seen so many rooms at once before.
And they had a VARIETY as well!

Markish
9th June 2011, 11:34 PM
I'm one of the new players and for now I'm really bad. I'll try zero3growlithe's suggestions on getting better.

If anyone else has some tips on progressing and getting the hang of the game better then just give some suggestions or link me. I've already looked through a lot of stuff on here.

This seems like a nice community and everyone seems to like the game so that's good I guess.

MegaGeeza22
10th June 2011, 01:18 AM
The way i learned was by playing through the game on novice... then i tried online play.
I then gradually completed the game on elite.
You dont need to be great at Phantom speed... i Never race phantom, i hate it... i always race Rapier! There are a lot of top pilots out there who only race venom or flash...
Just be the best in your speed class!

blackwiggle
10th June 2011, 05:40 AM
Yeah as MegaGeeza said, certain racers specialize in one or two speeds.
Sinus1 was the first to get to level 101 and he did that playing Flash speed almost exclusively, same with Slowtrain and Texasalex.

The thing is, that different opportunities to do barrel rolls on the same track appear at different speeds.
I think it is Venom and Flash speeds are the ones you can do the most at.

Many a good Phantom speed pilot has had their butt kicked when dipping their toe in a Venom/Flash race and coming up against one of these specialists.

You just have to see some of the results that have happened during the HD CUP.

Markish
10th June 2011, 06:04 AM
So what was the winner of the HD CUP good at?

Well they have teams huh, was there like an MVP?

leungbok
10th June 2011, 07:10 AM
Phantom is "THE" class !! :p

blackwiggle
10th June 2011, 07:39 AM
Due to the PSN outage the cup winner still has yet to be decided.

ion harvest
10th June 2011, 10:54 AM
Phantom is "THE" class !! :p

??? that's an opinion. The truth is as Blackwiggle says. Each class has its own masters and for them their speed class is THE class.

That's what's so cool about wipeout, the variety of speed classes. Personally I think Rapier suits me best. ;)

zero3growlithe
10th June 2011, 12:14 PM
In my opinion, people who'll acomplish being good at flash should train rapier and after it go to phantom becouse after that making barrel rolls is easier on flash. Why? Becouse when BR'ing you're reaching speeds almost exceding phantom (but only during nice BR combo;)).

tug_14
10th June 2011, 01:01 PM
who can say he's a king at wipeout game and don't playing it in phantom class ...
phantom is " the" class cos that's where most skilled people compete ... and if u want give perspsective to yours race time u have to compete where the best are
i didnt say that people who racing in low class are not good or skilled .. only the spirit of the wipeout is SPEED ( high ) so welcome in speed my friends and compete in phantom class ...

:rock bobok

ion harvest
10th June 2011, 01:15 PM
King of wipeout ? Where ? XD

leungbok
10th June 2011, 01:38 PM
"super phantom" will be "THE" class soon :banzai
For me at least, i need that adrenaline boost only phantom gives me ;)

Oryx Crake
10th June 2011, 02:24 PM
I agree that I have the most fun in phantom but if you want to learn to master side shifts and brs I think venom and flash (maybe under some tutelage from texasalex or slow-train) are the best places to learn. This because you have to be so very exact in venom and flash, especially when competing with the likes of those guys mentioned above. Try to find them on youtube and have a look at what they're doing and you'll understand what I mean (if not agree :g)

Honestly I think Flash and Venom gets too much flack from phantom pilots. :paperbag

Medusa
10th June 2011, 04:19 PM
Welcome to all the newcomers!!

Especially though I look forward to racing BulletWraith--I don't think we ever did get to race online?? Add me if you like!

@infoxicated -- did you get it now, since you don't have to pay for it? Or did you always have it...I don't remember!

kanar
10th June 2011, 04:49 PM
phantom is " the" class cos that's where most skilled people compete ...

OOoh yeah I agree. It's just a difficulty setting like any other game imo. Or you can compare venom to karting, flash to super touring cars, rapier to prototype (Le mans) race cars... & phantom to Formula 1. Each class has its specialists btw. Of course it's just my opinion :P

Markish
11th June 2011, 12:47 AM
So how good are bots compared to real players? Are elite bots easy for an average wipeout player?

Oryx Crake
11th June 2011, 12:52 AM
the AI... well they arent really a challenge after a while. they are good practice when you're just starting out but when you get used to the game and start playing online a lot the AI really cant compare.

Augmentator
11th June 2011, 01:07 AM
Hi, I'm a new player and new to the community. Just wanted to introduce myself as I intend on being around a long time. Any pros out there feel like taking under me under their wing? XD

Markish
11th June 2011, 01:10 AM
Yeah I thought so... I've been practicing with bots for now though because the new people in the online are really easy.

Zero's advice is working pretty well for now but I think my major flaw is that I can't barrel roll on a dime. When I watch the videos they do it so fast and perfect but I can't even lift the nose and barrel roll in time i'm always too slow.

Do most people use the D-pad or analog stick? Because I would imagine barrel rolling is easier with the D-pad but i'm already accustomed to steering with the stick.

siriusglee
11th June 2011, 01:42 AM
I use the stick, though you're prolly right about d-pad. Just like the 'feeling' of the stick better. Should give d-pad a whirl someday.

Oryx Crake
11th June 2011, 02:22 AM
Stick to the stick lads Im a dpad player cause I couldnt shake that from the time of the oldie wipeouts its just in my blood... But the stick is just as good if not better. Plus the dpad gives your thumb a thrashing. So much so that I seem to have permanently lost a bit of feeling in the tip of my left thumb.

But brs and side shifts take a while to get used to thouh its a must if you wanna compete.

Also I dont mind tutoring you a bit augmentor.

Augmentator
11th June 2011, 02:38 AM
Thanks Oryx. You've replied to nearly all my questions now anyway, so why not? Lol. Since the topic of control is up, I remapped airbrakes to L1 and R1 and turned airbrake and thrust sensitivity to 10%. Was that a bad idea? Anything else you'd recommend? I also turned PA off. But that was useless anyway.

Oryx Crake
11th June 2011, 02:45 AM
Id suggest having airbrake sense at abou 50% but the thrust is right and the button setting is the one I use also you could use sixaxis controls for the pitch (only the pitch mind you if youre playing with stick or dpad) and put the sens for that at about 50% too to begin with and tweak it to what you feel comfortable with.

Other than that you should spend some time figuring out what controls suit you best as its all largely personal.

You can add me on psn btw and we'll do some invite only online sessions and I can give youbsome tips on the fly as it were ;)

Augmentator
11th June 2011, 02:52 AM
Lol, which PSN should I add? XD And to let you know I'm not on much. Maybe an hour a day. One tv in a house of three roommates. We share. But I will be online eventually. I'll look out for you.

Oryx Crake
11th June 2011, 03:00 AM
Oryx_crake is the one I use mostly the other one is an old alt that my brother is using at the moment. I am occasionally on that one when I cant use my main acc. And just tell me when and I'll help ^_^

Augmentator
11th June 2011, 03:04 AM
Lol. I'll try. Typically I'm on whenever I'm here alone so it happens randomly. Or late at night. I'll keep an eye out.

zero3growlithe
11th June 2011, 06:53 AM
My usual suggestion... use Motion Sensor - Pitch and Sterring XD... but, no, seriously... it's easy to use, if you get used to it of course. Fly using it about week, two and don't worry with your flying at the beggining (if you think back, you'll see that u'r driving as badly as at the beggining with D-pad/AnalogStick :g)
btw. DON'T USE PILOT ASSIST!! You won't achieve anything with that turned On.
btw2. It's very good for begginers -> master course :P

Markish
11th June 2011, 08:33 AM
oh god

is that what you use? lol

zero3growlithe
11th June 2011, 05:27 PM
Ha ha... yes
But it doesn't mean that you must use it to be the best :}

MegaGeeza22
23rd June 2011, 12:28 PM
Wipeout HD is ruined... i went on Wipeout earlier and its dreadfull! i either win by 10 seconds or half the pilots quit before the race ends. also everytime i join a room half the people leave because of my rank and it takes an age to find somebody worthy of racing!
1 hour and 2 good races lol...
No offence to the new people, you have to start somewhere and i will give it another week or 2 before i race again lol.

SaturnReturn
24th June 2011, 10:48 PM
I think we can hardly say it's ruined as before there were hardly any open rooms anyway most of the time. Maybe it's just 'in a recession'. :P

MegaGeeza22
1st July 2011, 02:20 PM
No its not ruined and i agree, it was a recession lol but now its getting a lot better!
I just had a quick play on Wipeout and its brilliant!!! i was struggling so much to finish in the top 3!! i love it when theres competition.
Its become fun to play again!:)

Aeralys
2nd July 2011, 06:18 PM
It's true that it does feel a little unbalanced at the moment, though i imagine at HD's release there was an "Influx of new players" amongst the veterans of the wipEout series as well.

About now I would think that newcomers are deciding whether to take their wipEout game to the max or move on to something else.

FirstDave
2nd July 2011, 06:37 PM
I hope it starts to settle soon as i just dont feel comfy racing in a full room when they are all under 10 rank. I,m only rank 33 but it still dont feel right and i would rather have hard races where i will loose than getting really easy wins as the win feels empty if that makes any sense.

Dave.:D

MegaGeeza22
2nd July 2011, 10:43 PM
lol Aeralys, i think you were one of the people who kept beating me...
i agree FirstDave, winning all the time must get boring!!

jesse9705
3rd July 2011, 09:35 AM
Too Many Newbie's '-_-
i am a new too HD myself but i have had past experience in Pure, But some of these newbie's are annoying when they quit before the race end's, or when they Don't even try , It annoy's me, Hard race's are much, much better, That is Probabally why i race ACE-FLO alot, although i have bet him once....Soon i'll win alot though :)

Sausehuhn
3rd July 2011, 09:56 AM
The only really big problem I’m seeing with WOHD lately is the fact that there seems to be much more lag during single races/tournaments. It’s really annoying as you crash into your opponents and the track walls non-stop. It’s not that extreme with eliminator (at least it’s not that crucial for a win).
And there are way to many races with weapon hints and pilot assist.
Eliminator isn’t fun with eight players anyway (quake spam) and single race isn’t either with that amount of lag, as winning seems totally random.
That are my experiences for Phantom, at least.

Anyway: I had a few very good races lately. If you have the patience to wait for good players, you can get very good 4/5-player-races – even with newcomers. There really seem to be a few people who got interested in the game and don’t bother whether they finish first or not and stay for more than just one race, because they enjoy the fun.

And on a posivtive note: Even though some players stay for only one race, I haven’t had much quitting :)

yeldar2097
3rd July 2011, 10:28 AM
Race against yourself and not others. You'll win more and complain less, even though winning isn't the goal in the first place. Sorted.

UB3R~JKP
6th July 2011, 08:13 PM
What Yeldar said. :D I love trying to beat my times! Especially with bombs and mines all over the place more interesting than having a clear track. ;) My opinion, though.

MegaGeeza22
7th July 2011, 12:27 AM
online is better than playing alone in my opinion...

AspenExcel
7th July 2011, 01:43 AM
I dunno about yeldar's logic. I lose to myself quite often in speed laps and time trials. Offline can be just as rage inducing as online where the little mistakes count so much more.

leungbok
7th July 2011, 06:37 AM
Lag and connection speed makes online great or awfull for players, offline modes are the same for all.

yeldar2097
7th July 2011, 06:53 AM
Actually I was talking about online races but....ok.

The only difference between failing offline and failing online is that offline failure is less publicly embarrassing.

By race against yourself I mean that you should aim to complete online races as quickly as possible, don't concentrate on beating others, that should come naturally as a result. Any loss is your own failure, offline is there to help you minimise failure rates.

It's probably not a very good mentality to have to be honest, it's the reason I think that nobody is actually very good at WOHD in the slightest, not compared to what should have been achieved (certainly this late in the game). Brews contempt on all sides.
Bleh

Frailavi
7th July 2011, 08:55 AM
By race against yourself I mean that you should aim to complete online races as quickly as possible, don't concentrate on beating others, that should come naturally as a result.

This is what I always say. Not even the best WipEout pilot (oh my, I might just have him quoted) will win every race. As long as you feel that you did well given the circumstances, it shouldn't matter what place you come in.

Or as Eric Stanley says:
"Trying to be better than someone else is a pure waste of time. Strive to be better than you were yesterday."

Colonel
7th July 2011, 09:20 AM
it's the reason I think that nobody is actually very good at WOHD in the slightest, not compared to what should have been achieved (certainly this late in the game)Bleh

These rants about how sh*t everybody is are getting tired. People play the game because they enjoy it, not because they want to become immortal. And I'd imagine most people take immense satisfaction in their improvements (I know I do); relative to their expectations, not yours.

UB3R~JKP
7th July 2011, 10:16 AM
What Gaddafi said. :)

JFthebestJan
7th July 2011, 11:06 AM
i totally agree with yeldar.

i love this game and almost all aspects of it, that's why i play it since march 2009 without any mayor break (max 1month periods of not playing it).

every race i make (on- or offline), i try to get a new PB, and i really don't care what my opposition is doing. so it's upsetting to realise, that i am not as good as i should be. i have some WRs yes, but im not satisfied with my overall results (sebenco zone is a good example, my best is 63, but i know supersonic is possible and i'll get there in the 'future').
in my opinion, i should be minimum 2x times better as i am atm.

but i'll improve, just not as fast as i want to :)

Frailavi
7th July 2011, 11:38 AM
Gadaffi, do you enjoy online rooms where you come in first by 5 seconds+ every race?

Colonel
7th July 2011, 11:45 AM
Not really, I get bored quite quickly. What's your point?

greenymac
7th July 2011, 11:49 AM
Frailavi, I don't think thats what the Colonel was meaning at all. He's just sayin that not everyone is a super pilot and that everyone improves at their own rate. Just because someone isnt breaking world records or setting top 10 time trials doesnt make them a crap pilot.

Colonel
7th July 2011, 11:56 AM
That's the jist of it Greeny. It's also slightly annoying when Yeldar - clearly the World's best player by a distance - repeatedly bangs on about how useless he is, and therefore if he's useless, the rest of us are... well I don't know.

It's not exactly endearing behaviour, that's all I'm saying.

Frailavi
7th July 2011, 11:57 AM
Neither does anyone else, Gaddafi. Now imagine if you're yeldar or another pilot who just happened to progress faster than most others. Pretty much every online room becomes a bore. You may love the game, but that doesn't make, what can seem like, racing alone more interesting.

So don't get upset because some players "rant about how bad" other pilots are. Some of them have a pretty good reason for stating it.

Colonel
7th July 2011, 11:59 AM
That's bullsh*t, there's such a thing as quiet dignity, and that involves not laying into everybody all the time.

infoxicated
7th July 2011, 11:59 AM
And some of us have the good grace to remember when we first played the game and weren't setting the world on fire.

greenymac
7th July 2011, 12:03 PM
I hear what you're both saying, Frailavi, you act like everyone here has been around since release. I know you havent, nor Gaddafi, or myself. No matter how much you want to improve and how much you try its pretty difficult to nullify the extra year or so in experience someone has on you gamewise.

Frailavi
7th July 2011, 12:13 PM
I can tell you guys have never been a "top tier" player at anything before so I won't bother trying to explain what I mean.

Don't take offense to that statement, it's not meant to offend anyone.

leungbok
7th July 2011, 12:21 PM
Lol, i was expecting that thread turns into a total egotrip ! :lol
@Infoxicated, i miss the enthousiasm we had when the game was just released !

greenymac
7th July 2011, 12:25 PM
Check out my vids, not uploaded by me, but I've been a top tier player at quite a few games, so your point is moot. Also have been a top tier musician(percussion) and have travelled aroud the US playing shows so I'm used to being very good to exceptional at most things I participate in... Theres vids of all those on youtube so check them out if you want... Man, Frailavi, you're really showing a bad face this morning. Something bothering you?

7th July 2011, 12:26 PM
so I won't bother trying to explain what I mean.

Don't take offense to that statement, it's not meant to offend anyone.

how do you intend for anyone to understand your argument if you don't explain it?

the general gist im getting here is that you think that because there so much faster its acceptable for them to look down on others? (correct me if im wrong)

Surely carrying this sort of attitude means that nobody will want to play against you regardless of your ability anyway.

JFthebestJan
7th July 2011, 12:27 PM
i think u guys misunderstanding what yeldar is trying to say.

i don't believe he wants to say 'every wipEout player is a totally noob'.

he's just not satisfied with his OWN progression in skill compared to the amount of time he invested into the game so far.
and that's exactly my thinking, i mean, i invested almost 2000h+ and im far from the point i want myself to be, that's really embarrassing.

greenymac
7th July 2011, 12:35 PM
JF, I want to be a much better racer and pilot as well and I'm not satisfied or ever think I will be satisfied with my piloting. I as well, love this game but havent had the chance to put in the hours you have. (think im probably about around175-200 hours, just a guess) Maybe the memory of being a new pilot is fresh in my mind because only a few months ago it was me. I fell in love with wipeout hd and want others to fall in love with it too, so that it survives and lives on and they continue to make wipeout games...Elitist attitudes don't bring new pilots into the fold and when I came here there were no elitist attitudes even though I could barely even pilot at rapier. Made it much more enjoyable to learn and try new techniques

7th July 2011, 12:38 PM
@JFthebestjan

I suppose. But then nobody is as good as there 'hypothetical' best. you can't think like that because its not physically possible to do. because as your skill increases so does the 'maximum possible skill' if you like. you'll always be reaching for something that you cant get and having a negative attitude that 'im not as good as i should be' only makes the problem worse.

If you consolidate everything you've got and focus on improving your times bit by bit and thinking about how far you've come and not how far you should be, is only then that you can truly improve.

Frailavi
7th July 2011, 12:43 PM
In a game that can be taken competitively, competitive players will show up and try to do just that. Their skill levels will vary just like any other player who wishes to pick up the game. There will be a handful who manage to break into this "pro" type level of play and will be marked by the entire community.

These players will be expected to play extremely well no matter the circumstances, which often leads to draining a lot of the fun out of playing, and will often have people try to "rival" them even though most have no intentions of being a rival to anyone.

When first learning the game, it will always seem fun and exciting due to continuously learning and breaching into new courses of experiments to enhance how fast they improve. After some time passes, these players just want to play some fun and exciting matches just like they experienced when they were first learning the game. However, these expectations are often set too high and the blame will logically fall onto the heads of the surrounding players as the game itself has not changed.

However, no matter how good or bad the players are, you'll never experience the same thrill as you did when you first started learning. The only exceptions, for me, are large organized events which are completed in a semi-fast paced fashion in which that player can legitimately play a very tough and satisfying match. Losing is often more satisfying than winning for some.

No single view point will ever be considered the correct view point so long as there is more than 1 person playing.

Colonel
7th July 2011, 12:59 PM
Frailavi, sorry for shouting you down before. I've been in a bad mood all morning to be honest and got a bit nasty.

My apologies,

Adam.

JFthebestJan
7th July 2011, 01:07 PM
...you'll always be reaching for something that you cant get...

well, i've some scores & times in mind, which i would be pleased with.
and i KNOW i can achieve them. obviously it's necessary to challenge yourself everytime a bit further. so i do it. otherwise i should quit, cause what's the matter in just playing around? i want to achieve my goals, and i will try as long as i have to.

then i can finally retire myself, im a replicant, u know ;)

AspenExcel
7th July 2011, 01:35 PM
Just because I may be better or worse than other players or win by however many seconds in an online game, that doesn't make the game boring to me. Since I went to sleep and came back there has been a lot of posts here, but I see yeldar's point about competing with yourself now. This is what makes the game exciting, to know you may be able to beat your previous best.

In my opinion the boring races are the weapons free-for-all races where everybody is too hung up on shooting the other players to smithereens to even care about getting a good time. There is nothing new or exciting about getting eliminated for the 5th time in a race. The races lose so much momentum and it's quite frustrating. This is one of the reasons I prefer weapons off, or just smaller rooms for weapons on.

zero3growlithe
7th July 2011, 02:47 PM
LoL, a little out of tune: For me this thread should be called "Influx of new bombs on track" :brickwall:cowboy
And i agree with Unctuous.

EDIT: I'll conserve space here, so answer for post below: lol, good said:D I quite often quit race in rage and even turn off console :P

Oryx Crake
7th July 2011, 03:10 PM
I think this whole thing is rather based on misunderstandings to be honest. I have never before been even close to top tier in any game. So I wouldn't presume to know what it's like but my guess is that one thing that happens is that it becomes very hard being dissatisfied with your own results as as soon as you mouth your concerns people take it as false modesty or as you being a dick of some description(or both). And I would hazard a guess that yeldar doesn't think that everyone is just sh*t all the time, but rather that thats a reaction that comes with being shoved about and shot at in online races.
I know I've had many a race when I've raged about "everyone else not being able to keep up if it wasn't for weapons or shoving me off the track in the first corner or what have you".

It's E-rage... someone has taken me down a peg and I can see my e-penis shrinking, much like how I would imagine it would be to have your ferrari keyed.:P

This doesn't mean that, what I'm yelling at the TV at that moment is exactly true but I do get angry when I cant perform as well as I feel I should/could because of everyone else getting in the way at the time.
This is not an attitude that I keep after having turned the game off though. It's... the way I see it is that it is a defense mechanism or something like it. Laying your frustration on something else in this case other players. I keep from voicing it because for one, deep down I know it isn't true, even at the time of rage, and because it will hurt people's feelings which I am most definitely not out to do.

Christ! This wasn't supposed to be an essay... anyway the point is that we shouldn't expect Yeldar and the ones of that skill-level to be any different from the way we are in, how we deal with disappointment in the game.

Hope I didn't step on any toes here.
/oryx

tug_14
7th July 2011, 05:20 PM
Unctuous , u know my feeling about racing ...
glad to see someone talk about "time"
win a race on vinet f in 1'45"00 ...
win a race on vinet f in 1'37"00 ...
that 's not the same thing

03growlithe ,how u can agree with unc , ur one of theses "weapons user"
do u win race without using mine or bomb ? race more fight less please ... it could be fun
no offense , only different spirit in what racing is ...

R3BU5ER
7th July 2011, 05:41 PM
Unctuous , u know my feeling about racing ...
glad to see someone talk about "time"
win a race on vinet f in 1'37"00 ......

Lol thug..

But I have to get zero3's back here, he never chickens out on weps off races and he's not a real armyboy either!

leungbok
7th July 2011, 05:57 PM
But I have to get zero3's back here, he never chickens out on weps off races
Never ? ;)

R3BU5ER
7th July 2011, 06:03 PM
Well, from my experience, no

leungbok
7th July 2011, 06:17 PM
from mine yes ! ^^

zero3growlithe
7th July 2011, 06:24 PM
03growlithe ,how u can agree with unc , ur one of theses "weapons user"
do u win race without using mine or bomb ? race more fight less please ... it could be fun
no offense , only different spirit in what racing is ...
You're wrong, i'm good at both modes and i like them, BOTH... i only suck at zones and eliminators.
Lol, i have to quote my movies here or something? Those with Tiduch i think...
btw. Does anyone make NO WEP races online? I don't see any... (excluding 1vs1 challenges)
EDIT: I have 6 NoWep races with DP86... but i don't know when (he didn't told me yet)
EDIT refreshed: [moved to 3rd post]

R3BU5ER
7th July 2011, 06:35 PM
Yes, when I'm hosting it always involves weps off racing (and you know it) such as players like DP, unctuous, Leung just to name a few...

But I don't think the reason thug brings this up is your style of racing, but it's more how you manifest, or am I wrong?

SaturnReturn
7th July 2011, 06:40 PM
Let's all put our egos to one side and get back on topic here folks.

zero3growlithe
7th July 2011, 06:41 PM
Sometimes i'm just not physically and mentaly ready to play WepOff... i must have a really good day to play it... today i have one for WepOff, wanna race?
btw. This thread says "Influx of new players"... i'm not one of them... lol (Saturn wrote faster :lol)

tug_14
7th July 2011, 06:46 PM
please r3bu5er , can u write "tug" ...:beer

a bit of two r3bu5er

and to 03grwlithe ... why put weapon pad off to race without shooting ????

when u ll be able to understand that u can race with weap on without shooting ... we ll make a good step ^^

always no offense only discuss :rock

tug_14
7th July 2011, 06:50 PM
ur right boss ( sat )

my apologize ... im starting the "off topic"

over...

zero3growlithe
7th July 2011, 06:53 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :bomb I LOVE WEPOFF!!! STOP IT ALREADY GUYS!!! Jezze
EDIT: And i ******* understand that ******* felling and everything in ******* wepoff... lol (http://soundcloud.com/zero3growlithe)
{attacking me from such a strong side... check "WOHD Videos" thread before you write something in wrong thread... i'm making new series of videos by the way about BR's} I agreed to preffering wep off and he is pointing at me saying that i can't play WepOff, you know... :|
EDIT: There are many 'short' posts back there and they're meaningless so i suggest to delete them... and we finished, so don't lock it :P

infoxicated
7th July 2011, 11:15 PM
Last chance everybody - either people park their egos and this thread goes back on topic, or it gets locked.

stinkleroy
8th July 2011, 10:56 AM
moving swiftly on....I had the great pleasure of an early morning race invite from Mad Ice and Aiirwolf the other day, so went online for the first time in a looong time.

I have to say I was shocked at the amount of games on the go, but more shocked at the amount of people joining our phantom game, when there were so many venom and flash games available. Now I'm all for new blood in the game, but seriously...this was annoying. Every 3 seconds 'contender eliminated', bombs everywhere, and even though I'm very out of practice myself, I lapped someone...twice!

I just don't understand the mentality of these people at all. Start at venom and move up, or at least play the campaign before you jump online and distract the rest of the folks who've actually bothered to play the game through. Just my opinion :)

(also thanks to Mad for some crazy close races, those tours were nerve wracking! :))

Xpand
8th July 2011, 11:24 AM
If there's only one thing I hate about the influx of new players it has to be those people who join the session, when there's no one else but me, wait until I start the race and until the countdown ends and then I race for about 3 seconds and they leave! And, of course, being the last person in the track I have to leave too... There was this time in Anulpha pass where I didn't even got to the first speed pad before the guy bailed out...

That said who wants to join me on a race!?

Colonel
8th July 2011, 11:37 AM
By the way, didn't the Japanese PSN store finally come back online the other day? Can't say I've noticed loads of new Japanese players as a result :?

leungbok
8th July 2011, 12:21 PM
+1000 Cat ! :+

Geist1011
8th July 2011, 03:15 PM
quick question from a new guy, (not sure if right place). How do you send a message to some one online while in the waiting to race room.

p.s. tried my hand at a phantom class race today, and won 2, although probably luck since it was on some easy courses, but still made me feel good :D

AspenExcel
8th July 2011, 03:32 PM
You could just find them in your "Recently met" or played with or whatever that list is called in the Friends menu, and send a PM from there. Hopefully I understand your question correctly.

And there's a nice thread for Random HD questions that don't need their own thread (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5273).

ion harvest
8th July 2011, 05:36 PM
i'm a noob.

hehe.

UB3R~JKP
8th July 2011, 05:43 PM
I dunno why, but in particular when playing WipEout, I never set an expectation based on who i'm playing for where to finish in the pack. You're going to have slip-ups no matter how good you are at the game, in fact the slip-ups are what make WipEout interesting. It allows me to see where i'm going wrong and the rough patches there are. For most games there can be "masters" but in WipEout, I see "Legends" and "Veterans" the day WipEout becomes the kinda game where you can be flawless is the day it loses it's magic for me.

Of course, this is just an opinion. heh. :D

trackripper
8th July 2011, 06:14 PM
Add the above to the weapons used and it really does make for interesting races at times... Although irritating when it turns against you. I was running a 12 race tournament today, and was leading up until the last race on Sol 2, when someone got a missile on the open section and hit me with it... resulted in me spawning back on the track straight into some mines, fell off again... Eventually finished but I missed out on that win. :(

UB3R~JKP
8th July 2011, 06:30 PM
I feel your pain, Ripper! :(

zero3growlithe
8th July 2011, 06:39 PM
lol, on Sol 2 it's the worst place to rescue yourself from falling after being hit by missile on phantom... for example, you're about to fall to right, you're doing sideshift to left and fall there :g(it happens really often to me :redface:)

Xpand
8th July 2011, 07:01 PM
To me, my greatest problem in Wipeout HD are the reversed Wipeout pure tracks (sol 2, vineta k, modesto heights, etc). I got so used at racing them in pure that when I try to race them backwards it just comes out all wrong! :redface: Modesto heights is a pain in the head, most times I just leave my ship stopped in a corner until the end of the race so I won't be eliminating myself over and over again...

zero3growlithe
8th July 2011, 07:27 PM
Do speed laps on flash on those tracks :D
btw. I've played those tracks on PSP as i have Pure too 8) LoL, ships physics are totally different, but it's not so hard to master it :g

trackripper
8th July 2011, 07:38 PM
I suffer from the same problem, I can run Sebenco Climb and Sol 2 near perfect on Pure, but in HD the physics are all different :( Growlithe, saw you online today, lets just say that I only saw you for about 2 seconds before you disappeared... I just can't keep up with you guys :P

Oryx Crake
9th July 2011, 08:47 AM
I lurves teh modesto heights! fwd and rev such a rewarding track when you get things right! that said... I want my controller to start working properly again! :blarg:paperbag:brickwall

trackripper
9th July 2011, 08:50 PM
Modesto is indeed such a rewarding track, especially when you get the perfect line through the chicane section, then perfectly sideshift out the two 90 degree corners at the end (or vice versa, depending on rev or fwd). You feel invincible when you get it bang on. Until you use a turbo over the jump (fwd) and fly straight off the track. -__-"

Handmadelion
12th July 2011, 04:41 PM
Ever since the Welcome Back Package, Japanese racers have been bringing it!

NX-01
12th July 2011, 06:55 PM
I would like to mention my appreciation to all the new Wipeout players and they are learning, but what's with the ramming barrage at the beginning of each race! It's becoming epidemic. :evil I feel relieved to just get ahead of the wolvepack. :dizzy Is this now the norm? :rolleyes: Actuality it is kind of funny & twisted in a sick way. :twisted :lol

UB3R~JKP
12th July 2011, 07:11 PM
New players, New strategies. :p

NX-01
12th July 2011, 07:20 PM
OK! I'll buy that. But hell two thirds of them self-destruct by lap two. It's a chain reaction to hear: so & so eliminated back to back to back. :(

FirstDave
12th July 2011, 07:31 PM
I think they do it out of frustration because they struggle to get anywhere but i reckon it just slows them down pretty much like in most car racing games.Its this sort of thing that makes me search for rooms with experienced people as they can give you bump now and again but its mostly an "Excuse me i,m coming through" type of thing but by enlarge they keep it clean.

Dave..:P

trackripper
12th July 2011, 08:49 PM
There is a lot of barging, and several times it has cost me valuable shield energy when I'm down near 20 or so, due to BR'ing :/ That's why I pilot Triakis now: so I can barge back :P

ion harvest
13th July 2011, 11:21 AM
Feisar wins in barge vs barge situation everytime. hehe.

trackripper
13th July 2011, 06:19 PM
Na, Triakis does :P Either that or get away from them completely with Goteki 45

AspenExcel
13th July 2011, 06:38 PM
It's whoever has the highest ping. ;)

FirstDave
13th July 2011, 06:47 PM
It's whoever has the highest ping. ;)

Is it possible to view your own ping ?

Dave.:)

AspenExcel
13th July 2011, 07:21 PM
Nope I don't think so. And please refrain from quoting posts directly above your own.

tug_14
13th July 2011, 09:33 PM
wow :cowboy

new sherif in town !!

Take cares guy !!

"rapidfire" Unc T.M.

Whizawk
20th July 2011, 04:34 PM
I have yet to see any newcomers spoil any races that I have been in - I just fly around them if they get in the way. As for the weapons, it's common sense to avoid them as with any other racer old or new.

On a more positive note, the newcomers I have been racing with have been really competetive, but most of them still have quite a bit to go.

Geist1011
20th July 2011, 09:59 PM
I would like to mention my appreciation to all the new Wipeout players and they are learning, but what's with the ramming barrage at the beginning of each race! It's becoming epidemic. :evil I feel relieved to just get ahead of the wolvepack. :dizzy Is this now the norm? :rolleyes: Actuality it is kind of funny & twisted in a sick way. :twisted :lol

yeah, the ramming is plain annoying.
Im still learning to pilot well so some times getting infront can be tough, especially on tracks im not used to,

Just done 1 tourny and the ramming was just mind boggling, i can understand a little side ramming every now and then especially at the start, but these guys were just plain and simply broadsiding me and pushing me off the track, still, you carry on, win some loose some,
would be nice for some whiplash free races every now and then :g

NX-01
20th July 2011, 10:32 PM
Well, I guess the ramming strategy has alway been an issue. Hell, now I just ram back, move to the front & hopefully pick up a speed boost to gain some distance. Say! have you every been Quaked in the middle of a barrel roll? It's very intense. :dizzy

Geist1011
20th July 2011, 11:08 PM
can't say i've been quaked mid roll, doesn't sound very plesant tbh :dizzy

i guess i gotta practice some more so i can make sure i get to the front, and stay there :D

ion harvest
22nd July 2011, 12:00 AM
Say! have you every been Quaked in the middle of a barrel roll? It's very intense. :dizzy

Yes, its a lot of fun. And if you side shift the landing, you dont slow down. Didi you know that???:g

Whizawk
23rd July 2011, 07:26 PM
Being quaked in a middle of a barrel-roll often results in me falling off the track... Just to add a little insult to injury. :?

UB3R~JKP
23rd July 2011, 09:22 PM
^ What Wizzer said! :D

ion harvest
23rd July 2011, 09:27 PM
I wonder what its like to fall thru the track :D

siriusglee
24th July 2011, 09:04 AM
Honestly don't know what I did to this guy to merit this kind of response. Compounded by fact PSN's messaging system doesn't let you do multi-delete of messages.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l213/riverfr0zen/stinking_die.jpg

(it was a NEW player in wipeout hd)

24th July 2011, 04:30 PM
it also doesn't let you send multiple messages very easily? meaning that guy had to spell that out and hit send every time :lol

Clearly this person has too much time on there hands, there are plenty of train lines they could have been playing on instead :P

Unless of course he was just a German with a stutter? :lol

R3BU5ER
24th July 2011, 04:45 PM
What a pussy, I would at least make it: 'Die mother****er' or something, some variation you know, sending 10 times the same 'Die' is just wack :lol

zero3growlithe
24th July 2011, 05:22 PM
LoL, nice noob from this ""Die" massages sending fu**** g***** stupid piece of s***"... If i'll see him on track, i'll be following him and shooting him with everything i have :g You're on my black list "stinking" :mr-t

UB3R~JKP
24th July 2011, 06:08 PM
:lol Why are there such sad people in this world?

Whizawk
26th July 2011, 03:56 AM
Honestly don't know what I did to this guy to merit this kind of response.

You should be flattered to even merit that kind of response. :|

siriusglee
30th July 2011, 09:31 AM
With my skills these days, yeah, you're right >O) But it wasn't just an odd 10 messages as perhaps inferred from piccy. It was more on the order of hundreds.

Many a good friend's proper and legitimate missives had to be multi-deleted cos of that. :(

Medusa
30th July 2011, 01:44 PM
You know you can protect messages you want to keep, right?

I'm still laughing at the stuttering German...poor guy just needs some therapy.

siriusglee
30th July 2011, 04:43 PM
You make a good point. It's sort of a 'backwards' way of thinking about it, but what did I expect when I bought a PS3?

The German guy with a speech impediment does make me feel better, I have to agree :) Die Die Die Die Die DIe ... Die... what??? Sorry, I'm not naturally racist.

I actually have a lot Germans on my list of buddies, friends met through playing games, largely. Germans are cool, usually.

slow-train
30th July 2011, 06:24 PM
it also doesn't let you send multiple messages very easily? meaning that guy had to spell that out and hit send every time :lol

Clearly this person has too much time on there hands, there are plenty of train lines they could have been playing on instead :P

Unless of course he was just a German with a stutter? :lol

imho germans are the most friendly decent people i have met online! but they do like to use weapon pickups lol ; ))

Colonel
30th July 2011, 06:49 PM
The Germans are ace, the only nationality I've come across that has a dryer sense of humour than us Brits :beer

Oh and their techno kicks ass.

30th July 2011, 06:58 PM
haha i dont think the opponent was even German was he? :lol

:g

siriusglee
31st July 2011, 07:09 AM
Nah, besides your stuttering joke there is no recollection as to what nationality the opponent is. That's how much I had paid attention to it during the race. I think it might be one of the Cylon models. Yes, that is it. And 'Die' means 'I love you'. I can live with that.

Carson
3rd August 2011, 08:40 PM
I know it's good for the community and all, but I'll be damned if all these newbies aren't getting on my nerves. I've been trying to set up a good 12 race phantom tournament, and everyone who joins quits by the third race (admittedly, I lap them and they end up eliminating themselves). The whole thing just turns into a speed lap session for me.

If you just got the game, don't go jumping in over your head! Start in the campaign and ideally, complete Arcade Perfect before racing phantom online. It helps a whole lot.