PDA

View Full Version : Screenshots of wipEout 2048

Pages : [1] 2 3

yawnstretch
2nd June 2011, 10:13 AM
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/06/02/ps-vita-game-images-leak-out/

Oryx Crake
2nd June 2011, 10:39 AM
Looks absolutely stunning and very much indeed like a reboot of the series though I have to admit it looks like it could just be like the first season of the original wipeout league that feisar looks very similar to the original...

Flint Fandango
2nd June 2011, 10:50 AM
If this is really WipEout 2048, then it will be awesome! Well, what else should it be?! :hyper
I deeply hope there will be more information soon! Thank you for the link!

kaori
2nd June 2011, 10:53 AM
Nice pics, it's a NEW game youpi !

We can see weapons pad & speed pad, plasma bolt, and ships on the road ! Take care of sidewalks :hyper

Oryx Crake
2nd June 2011, 10:56 AM
lol yeah pedestrians beware! I find myself wondering if they will port this game to ps3 too kinda hoping they will actually ^^;

kaori
2nd June 2011, 11:37 AM
3 others pics in HD

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432160

mdhay
2nd June 2011, 11:43 AM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, shiny!!!

rdmx
2nd June 2011, 12:41 PM
Reminds me of 'stopthetrack'
http://cityofsound.typepad.com/blog/images/wipeout.ad.jpg

Xavier
2nd June 2011, 01:05 PM
Can't wait!

That shot with the sun coming up behind what looks like a 19th-century building while a 21st-century Wipeout ship races past it is perfect. Fully captures the idea that anti-gravity is, at least in the Wipeout universe coming soon, and we'll be alive to see it.

WolfKill01
2nd June 2011, 01:32 PM
Loving the classic look of the ships. The modern cities are very exciting as well. It'll be just like Stanza Inter all over again :o

RJ O'Connell
2nd June 2011, 02:03 PM
OH. MY. GOD.

Can E3 get here already? :g

(Also, what's up with the FEISAR logo being ripped right out of the Pulse/HD era?)

leungbok
2nd June 2011, 03:42 PM
I find myself wondering if they will port this game to ps3 too kinda hoping they will actually ^^;

I think they will (as they talk alot about interactivity between ngp's and ps3's versions of future games). Not at ngp releasing IMO, they'll wait to give their new hardware temporary exclusives contents !
...well, i suppose that's all ! :p

Challenger #001
2nd June 2011, 04:32 PM
(Also, what's up with the FEISAR logo being ripped right out of the Pulse/HD era?)

I noticed that actually - the FEISAR ship even has the MAGEC advertising on it, and whatever that happy smiley face is on the side that Woopzilla uses as his icon.

Though it seems they may have gone back to origional paint schemes.

*squee*

Cyan and White Qirex. <33333333

SpaceMunky
2nd June 2011, 04:40 PM
I'm so hyped for this game!! but im so confused. Studio Liverpool are developing this game? I thought my favorite developer was dead and buried?

Oryx Crake
2nd June 2011, 05:08 PM
yeah you're probably right there leung. lets hope they release it soon then so we get to go head to head ASAP! in HD!

DrMannevond
2nd June 2011, 05:11 PM
Preview : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-02-wipeout-2048-preview

And it looks like it supports cross-platform play between PS3 and NGP!!! :
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-02-wipeout-2048-revealed

HD DLC?! Please God - make it so!:hyper

Edit : http://psp.ign.com/articles/117/1172093p1.html
Doesn't say if it's DLC or standalone, but still..:clap

PjotrStroganov
2nd June 2011, 05:16 PM
Preview : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-02-wipeout-2048-preview

And it looks like it supports cross-platform play between PS3 and NGP!!! :
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-02-wipeout-2048-revealed

HD DLC?! Please God - make it so!:hyper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZPsvAmS1D4&feature=player_embedded

He's talking about crossplatform mp on Fury tracks. So don't get your hopes up.

Sausehuhn
2nd June 2011, 05:29 PM
Looks like Need For Speed: WipEout to me. Even though it’s a prequel, it looks too anti-futuristic to me; look how architecture changed in the past 30/40 years – it’s pretty drastic. I’m not quite confident yet that that’s what I was looking forward to :|

PS: The WOHD-Feisar-Billboard is most likely a placeholder; you can see another logo here (http://i.imgur.com/sC2Op.jpg).

Xpand
2nd June 2011, 05:37 PM
I'M SO HAPPY I COULD DIE!!! No, not really, not before I try the game!

Rotational_aspect
2nd June 2011, 06:11 PM
From the few pictures I have seen I am very dissapointed with the visual style, which seems very lazy. I so wish DR were around to switch on some style.

SpaceMunky
2nd June 2011, 06:15 PM
this is amazing news. But seriously my dream has come true. Studio liverpool are still going? what did i miss?

Nunalho
2nd June 2011, 06:41 PM
Dont know if this was posted, but here we can see the game running :hyper

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/02/wipeout-your-ps3-opponents-on-ngp/

kaori
2nd June 2011, 07:05 PM
Hello, it's not only WipEout 2048, but it's very interesting !
We will be able to play WipEout HD on the NGP, against others NGP or PS3 !

Kurlija
2nd June 2011, 07:21 PM
I see they implemented Burnout Paradise-style smugshots at the end of races, it's a fun little addition :D

KGB
2nd June 2011, 07:23 PM
Looks good :hyper, it will be even better if we can play it on the ps3. I don't fancy paying for the NGP for only one game.

JABBERJAW
2nd June 2011, 07:23 PM
I hope that video is wipeout hd's engine and not the new one, because the is exactly what it looks like, The pitch didn't appear to be the old style, and the ships physics looked exactly like HD.

That being said, that was the slow speed, so it is kinda hard to tell.

KGB
2nd June 2011, 07:48 PM
lol yeah pedestrians beware! I find myself wondering if they will port this game to ps3 too kinda hoping they will actually ^^;

3rd paragraph down, says they are releasing it on ps3. Hopefully it's true.

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/117/1172093p1.html

Colin Berry
2nd June 2011, 07:51 PM
Be cool to see how this turns out, this bit caught my eye

"A fundamental rethink of the strategic backbone of wipEout plays well to this. Power-up pads are now split into two groups, with red pads providing offensive items while green ones cater for a more defensive strategy. Tied into this is a rethinking of the shield; it's now on a dedicated button and is fully rechargeable."

Sounds like a slight nod towards WO3

page 2 of the eurogamer preview
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-02-wipeout-2048-preview

Hopefully more details will emerge from E3

RJ O'Connell
2nd June 2011, 08:05 PM
It's a stomach churning set-piece reminiscent of the first wipEout's gravity-defying leap on Altima VII, and it suggests that Studio Liverpool has cast a fond glance at the series' past while defining its future. That much is explicit in the fact that 2048's championship will climax with a race at Altima VII itself, the game's ending coming at the very moment that the series began.

Take my money. Now.

Space Munky: SL never closed down, most of their staff was laid off over a year ago, but apparently it was all part of some massive restructuring due to the SLEvo merger.

Oryx Crake
2nd June 2011, 08:07 PM
@Jabberjaw I honestly think whatever you like probably isnt a problem with the HD engine it should be more about programming how the different ships handle, turn the lateral stability down to about 1 and your ship will slide every which way is my guess... if that's what you want of course :P. I'd rather they stuck with the way things are going now myself.

leungbok
2nd June 2011, 08:09 PM
"A fundamental rethink of the strategic backbone of wipEout plays well to this. Power-up pads are now split into two groups, with red pads providing offensive items while green ones cater for a more defensive strategy. Tied into this is a rethinking of the shield; it's now on a dedicated button and is fully rechargeable."
Good idea, it looks like blur's weapon system who is more based on strategy than luck. The little improvement that was missing on wipeout who is superior on all the other aspects :p

Dark_Phantom_89
2nd June 2011, 08:14 PM
Interesting concept with the weapon splitting. It would certainly help to eliminate the massive luck factor that is associated with weapons, however I hope it doesn't lead to mine spamming from 1st place making them virtually uncatchable. :paperbag

I really hope that we get a more detailed insight into this at E3. This will definitely be a day 1 purchase for me assuming that it's all set for the PS3.

KGB
2nd June 2011, 08:18 PM
You would think that if it's set when it is, the ships should handle similar to the original game, I doubt this will happen. As it is one of the articles has said that there are BRs in the game, which personally I find very strange. Lots of rumours and nothing concrete yet, so I should just wait and see what happens.

The final race at Altima is just a fanboys wet dream, hope they sort the last left hander out for multiplayer. It's hard enough as it is, 8 people trying to get through it spells total gridlock :)

EDIT:That's if it's in multiplayer

dadada_999
2nd June 2011, 08:22 PM
Guys, this is for the NGP right? What implications will this have for the PS3. Wipeout HD could sure use some DLCs!!!

JABBERJAW
2nd June 2011, 08:37 PM
no, mainly pitch control was what I was looking at. The reason I loved wipeout, was the extreme importance in controlling your pitch at every turn, and bump. Not controlling the pitch resulted in tenths to full seconds loss in time, so you were really controlling every aspect. Also, I loved how the old games, when you pitched back, the ship came further off the track (not just the nose), and when you pitched foward, the opposite occured. Pitching back slowed you down slightly, but gave you slightly better grip on the turns, and you could scrape the inside of turns easier, but at the expense of speed, you really needed to know what your specific ship could handle around the turns.

The thing I liked about hd vs pure/pulse was that pitch was important again when you were in the Air, and you could control where you landed, and the physics/feel was bouncier than pure/pulse.

That being said, HD could certainly put in the pitch element into the game and not have it affect the physics all that much, it would just be a matter of sideshift,

but if this really is wipeout 2048, shouldn't it feel more towards the older games? I DON'T WANT IT SLOW LIKE WIPEOUT 1 THOUGH :)

OH, the tracks seemed very flat, but maybe that was just the parts they were showing, older games were bump bump bump. Gotta see some more I think

The game looks incredibly good, although I think the cross platform of ngp/ps3 is a huge mistake. While it is cool, they just insured I don't buy a ngp

chalovak
2nd June 2011, 08:52 PM
Long time no see...
God, new WipEout! Am I happy!? Hell yeah I am... but...
Who is responsible for developing new WipEout? Is the team the same? I know it's Liverpool studio, but I heard there were some changes in the past. Can someone enlighten me? Because I'm nervous a little bit on that case. If no one from Pure-Pulse-HD-Fury teams is involved, then I'll be sad, very very sad.

Xpand
2nd June 2011, 08:56 PM
You can see pretty well the Feisar ship in the screenshots. But that's all. I'm guessing AG-S will be there too...

Oryx Crake
2nd June 2011, 08:58 PM
ah I see what you mean jabber :) yeah I'd completely forgotten that bit of the controls on 2097 and 3... been too long man! in any case yeah you make some excellent points. As for why there seem to be very little bumpiness... I would guess that since apparently much of the track is on regular roads there wouldn't be as many bumps as we're used to in wo these days... just a guess. In any case if I can some day get to own this game on my ps3 and race all of you online I will be happy, very happy. Ah the excitement! it's hard to believe that just 6 months ago people were talking about the death of the franchise... boy am I glad they were wrong!

stinkleroy
2nd June 2011, 09:11 PM
http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6316700/e3-2011-wipeout-2048-hands-on-preview

:)

leungbok
yeah the track on the pictures looks flat and wide, but we can guess it's only shots of the 2048's "anoobpha" :p

amplificated
Here's to hoping '2048 is going to be another expansion to 'HD on the PS3 as well. It would seem to be the case since it's already able to play multiplayer with it, but fingers crossed in any case.

Darkdrium777
2nd June 2011, 09:58 PM
I hope for some technical tracks, though no Citta Nuova or Outpost 7 (They work, but it's iffy.)

But I'm still pretty excited.

Medusa
2nd June 2011, 10:16 PM
SCE Studio Liverpool reps on hand were high on the game, suggesting that it's a full-featured offering that stands as the best yet in the series.

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! Yeah, okay...I was excited until I read that - now I'm just laughing.

We'll see eh?

MetaKraken
2nd June 2011, 10:25 PM
So this game takes place the beggining of the FX series... nice. :D

Looking forward to it.

JABBERJAW
2nd June 2011, 11:14 PM
"Game director Stu Tilley promises the biggest Wipeout experience to date; with 10 new tracks, 20 new ships, new game modes and weapons. My favorite feature and new to PlayStation, is cross-platform-gaming. Load up your copy of Wipeout HD Fury on your PS3 and you’ll be able to race up against seven NGP opponents in online multiplayer sessions. You can mix and match the number of PS3s and NGPs racers however you like, bringing the world of Wipeout seamlessly together with the power of PSN."

Wouldn't this suggest, that it is an addition to wipeout hd? He says though it is a completely new game, does he mean just tracks, with the same game engine? or near the same game engine.

I forgot from earlier, but I loved the offensive/defensive weapon choices, and a separate shield (very interested in this). It's kind of like rock paper scissors, trying to outguess your opponent, as opposed to a lucky draw.

icarasDragon
2nd June 2011, 11:19 PM
"Game director Stu Tilley promises the biggest Wipeout experience to date; with 10 new tracks, 20 new ships,

Sounds like they also have assets to older versions of WipEout...
Van-Uber may strike again :hyper (Never actually flown with Van-Uber because I bought PulsE before PurE.... toopid)
PS: I just thought... it'd interesting to see a desert track or a valley track in Australia. Whooshing by the kangas with a Feisar up your bum would be hilarious :P

JABBERJAW
3rd June 2011, 12:06 AM
I hope the programmers visit this forum, and really take into consideration that mines and bombs just slow you down WAY too much, often putting out of the race with just one hit

RJ O'Connell
3rd June 2011, 12:19 AM
Long time no see...
God, new WipEout! Am I happy!? Hell yeah I am... but...
Who is responsible for developing new WipEout? Is the team the same? I know it's Liverpool studio, but I heard there were some changes in the past. Can someone enlighten me? Because I'm nervous a little bit on that case. If no one from Pure-Pulse-HD-Fury teams is involved, then I'll be sad, very very sad.
There shouldn't be any Pure-Pulse-HD-Fury teams besides AG-S, Feisar, Auricom or Qirex.

I'm all for new teams, though. The ones that didn't quite make the cut when AG Racing became a sport.

Al: Better yet, SL needs to expand their reach on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, as well as read the WZ forums more often.

blackwiggle
3rd June 2011, 03:32 AM
Poor old Stuart Tilly looks like he was ambushed for that interview after consuming quite a few beverages ;) :D.
I know that "not drunk, but getting there" stage well.

I'm not quite sure I understand what he meant saying you can use a NGP to play somebody that's using a PS3.
Does that mean all NGP games will basically use the same server as PS3 games, there by being cross compatible, or just Wipeout 2048.

If they are cross compatible, why would you release a second Wipeout, why Wipeout Trinity?
What is going to be the major difference between the two Wipeout's?

All this newly released info has just made more questions for me than answers.

Just saw this Interview on Youtube with SL that goes into far more detail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XZPsvAmS1D4#at=50
They edited the video when the subject came to cross platform, so it appears this hasn't been finalized yet.

I love this little bit of info more than any of the other stuff mentioned in that interview.
VOICE ACTIVATED WEAPONS FIRE!!!!

eLhabib
3rd June 2011, 03:46 AM
Call me a hater, but I don't like what I see of 2048 ONE BIT. I mean seriously, THIS IS IT?! Same engine, some new tracks, some slightly altered ship designs, and PS3 cross-play? THAT'S IT?!
I was seriously hoping for a proper reboot of the series, especially given the game's title. But the art direction is what pisses me off most. I mean, if this is set BEFORE the sport got big, BEFORE the first wipEout game (as Stu Tilley even states in the interview!) then why, I ask you, WHY is the design of the HUD, the ships, the speedpads and the game in general an updated version of HD/Fury's look?! IT MAKES NO SENSE! Just look at the ship design! It's even more modern looking than the HD ships! (and what I've seen so far of the new ships doesn't even look nice to me, sorry)
Of course, this has nothing to do with the gameplay - they might have gotten that spot-on, and from what they've revealed so far, with different weapon pads and rechargeable shield instead of a shield pickup, it looks to be going in a good direction. Still from a visual standpoint this looks to me like the art director is just taking what he can from HD and building on it, instead of taking a moment to think about the fact that things would have to look A LOT different back in 2048. Looks to me like they probably just didn't care. They seem to forget that the core fanbase of the game is very well aware of the timeline and really cares about the wipEout fiction.
Bad move by them, in my humble opinion. :(

chalovak
3rd June 2011, 04:11 AM
There shouldn't be any Pure-Pulse-HD-Fury teams besides AG-S, Feisar, Auricom or Qirex.

I'm all for new teams, though. The ones that didn't quite make the cut when AG Racing became a sport.

Al: Better yet, SL needs to expand their reach on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, as well as read the WZ forums more often.

I was talking about development teams. :)

blackwiggle
3rd June 2011, 04:11 AM
Each track has 3 levels according to that Youtube video.
1st level- contemporary settings
2nd level- more futuristic
3rd level- details weren't given.

IMHO this is starting to look like what a lot of us sort of expected it might do, Wipeout FUSION like, what with wider tracks confirmed as being a feature.

amplificated
3rd June 2011, 04:45 AM
Call me a hater, but I don't like what I see of 2048 ONE BIT. I mean seriously, THIS IS IT?! Same engine, some new tracks, some slightly altered ship designs, and PS3 cross-play? THAT'S IT?!
I was seriously hoping for a proper reboot of the series, especially given the game's title. But the art direction is what pisses me off most. I mean, if this is set BEFORE the sport got big, BEFORE the first wipEout game (as Stu Tilley even states in the interview!) then why, I ask you, WHY is the design of the HUD, the ships, the speedpads and the game in general an updated version of HD/Fury's look?! IT MAKES NO SENSE! Just look at the ship design! It's even more modern looking than the HD ships! (and what I've seen so far of the new ships doesn't even look nice to me, sorry)
Of course, this has nothing to do with the gameplay - they might have gotten that spot-on, and from what they've revealed so far, with different weapon pads and rechargeable shield instead of a shield pickup, it looks to be going in a good direction. Still from a visual standpoint this looks to me like the art director is just taking what he can from HD and building on it, instead of taking a moment to think about the fact that things would have to look A LOT different back in 2048. Looks to me like they probably just didn't care. They seem to forget that the core fanbase of the game is very well aware of the timeline and really cares about the wipEout fiction.
Bad move by them, in my humble opinion. :(

I definitely agree with you on the thematic value being lost, you're totally spot on and it's something that I find annoying in a lot of games' sequels.

It would've been fine if they called it WipEout 2248, but this way they've taken the worst of both worlds - they transplant the latest gameplay and put it in the beginning of the story which clearly doesn't make sense (that said, I definitely prefer the actual racing gameplay of HD over the first games, but that's beside the point when it comes to logical storytelling); and then they get to say "it's the beginning of the sport" when they don't actually think of cool new features of significance. It feels lazy to me, if safe.

However, I'll take more of the same with a few changes (most of which sound for the better, however slight) if that's all we're getting... As long as it's released on the PS3 as well, that is.

TL;DR: A sequel to HD could have been a lot more than what 2048 seems to be offering (IMO), but since more of the same - other than a logical story - is so good, it's not the biggest problem ever.

Challenger #001
3rd June 2011, 06:27 AM
I was chatting with Oryx_Crake last night about this, here's a couple of thoughts of how I think this is going to work.

1) WipEout 2048 will take the form of DLC for the PS3 version, and a stand-alone for the NGP. The fact that you had the Pure/HD Anulpha and FX300-era FEISAR indicates that perhaps the standard version of WipEout HD will be available on the handheld along with the Retro version, perhaps as a separate campaign mode and a new series of ships. The Fury version can be downloaded separately for the 2048 version. In this way, there's minimum of cross-platform play between the PS3 and the NGP for the original HD tracks. If you both have the DLC/Full game, you can play the other matches.

2) The ships aren't so much a redesign as HD makeovers of the 8 original ships from the first WipEout. Only the Feisars have been seen up close, but the distinctive blue-yellow-red of one shows that De La Rente is back at least. When the blurb mentions 20 new ships, I'm guessing that some of those will be recolours - though I'm not sure whether it'll be five paint jobs for the original four teams (AG-systems, Qirex, Auricom and FEISAR), four paint jobs of the original four plus Piranha, or two paint jobs for ten teams, which could indicate that it's including various teams that didn't make 'the cut' into the F3600 leagues proper. Perhaps it could have a career level-up system, where you start with one of the lower-down teams and work up towards the best squads.

3) The game probably runs on the same engine as HD Fury, hence the appearance of the tracks and in particular the HUD. The reason they haven't gone back to the old-style HUD would mostly be because the first game didn't have weapons that could do damage and therefore shields. Probably at this stage of development, the HUD isn't finished and so they put the HD Fury one over the top as it comes in the box to keep it running smoothly.

4) There's a shot of the track which includes an arrow on the track with a smaller one branching off. Pitlanes maybe?

This is all just consideration. But I'm kinda hoping that most of it will be right. I think we need more vids before we can start complaining that the world is over.

blackwiggle
3rd June 2011, 07:26 AM
I'm wondering where Trinity fits in with all this.

I'm guessing that Wipeout Trinity will be called a new game "in name" only, but in reality be new tracks that act as a sort "bridging DLC" for HD/FURY and 2048, so all 3 [there's your Trinity] can be played on the same server with both the NGP & PS3.

I just hope that whatever they do to make this possible doesn't break anything in HD/FURY, I'd hate to return to the days of "Vista pads" and other online problems.

Going to make tournament track selections interesting.
Was it 10 new tracks in 2048? Add to the 24 we already have.
Most likely a Wipeout server update heading our way before it's released.

I suppose you are going to need all 3 games otherwise your going to get ejected from any online tournament which has tracks from any game you don't have, as happens to people who don't have the Fury pack atm.
Which is smart marketing by Sony, as they get to sell 3 games when only promoting one.
That's if they actually promote this Wipeout, we all know Wipeout has got the rough end of the pineapple in that dept over the last few years.

Roll on E3 when we get the details of what's going to happen.

Darkdrium777
3rd June 2011, 07:26 AM
Ugh what a mess. I am disappointed by this game already from the previews.

Wider tracks - I cringed.
Focus on weapons - I cringed again.

WipEout DNA is summed up to graphics and speed? You've lost me. D:

What about the driving? The technicality of the race tracks? The sense of accomplishment when you've mastered that difficult corner?
Oh god I don't like the sound of that game. I really don't.

blackwiggle
3rd June 2011, 07:30 AM
In this interview with SL staffer.
Also tells you about acceleration will be touch sensor on back of NGP, button pressing not needed, and voice activated weapons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XZPsvAmS1D4#at=50

KGB
3rd June 2011, 07:37 AM
I'm wondering where Trinity fits in with all this.

I thought it had been explained elsewhere that Wipeout HD was called Trinity but the name never stuck. This rumour was shot down wasn't it?

blackwiggle
3rd June 2011, 07:45 AM
Rob explained where the name originated from, he said it was when he wrote the back story to EGX and that it was used as the SL "In-house" working title to what became FURY.

But there were posts around the web saying two titles were coming out, this was based on domain name registrations, 2048 and Trinity were both registered at the same time, I never saw anything saying otherwise.
Maybe SL couldn't decide which name to go with, so registered both, but since Trinity seems to have been around a lot longer than we all knew, and ElHabib said he got info from a reliable source that a new Wipeout other than the NGP one was in the pipeline, I still think there is another Wipeout in the works.

KGB
3rd June 2011, 07:50 AM
I thought someone said the domain for Trinity was years old?

blackwiggle
3rd June 2011, 07:58 AM
The only stuff related to Trinity specifically is in this thread [the one Rob told us the history behind the name], I can see no mention about Trinity being registered at all.
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8123

KGB
3rd June 2011, 08:11 AM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=197776&postcount=206

From this thread

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7901

Maybe it's true, if they are all going to be played together then HD - FURY - 2048 are maybe the Trinity.

Dogg Thang
3rd June 2011, 08:20 AM
Same engine, some new tracks, some slightly altered ship designs, and PS3 cross-play? THAT'S IT?!

Got to admit, I'm feeling pretty much the same way. When I heard the name, I was hoping for more of a reboot, a return to roots. But this seems to be just an add-on for HD/Fury, which really does nothing for me.

blackwiggle
3rd June 2011, 08:38 AM
I don't know??
Who does?
I don't think even the people at SL know exactly how Sony are going to play this out, I suppose it's out of their hands now it's be made.
It does seem to have a bit of a "Up in the Air" vibe about this TBH.

Guess all will be revealed at E3.

I just hope we PS3 pilots get something out of this without having a procrastinated wait just so Sony can say it's a NGP exclusive for a certain amount of time.
I bought a PSP solely to play PURE & PULSE, which I never do because of too small a screen, bad eyesight and I end up tipping the PSP at an angle when playing where the screen disappears entirely.
So it sits there, unused in mint condition.

If the rumored drop in system specs of the NGP are true, I guess that's solely down to the response people have posted about the proposed selling price of the NGP, they are just not interested.

I don't think the NGP is such a huge leap in gaming to make PSP players want to run out and get one TBH.
So where does that leave 2048 if it doesn't get released as a PS3 version straight off the bat?

MrSmadSmartAlex
3rd June 2011, 08:43 AM
Ugh what a mess. I am disappointed by this game already from the previews.

Wider tracks - I cringed.

WipEout DNA is summed up to graphics and speed? You've lost me. D:

What about the driving? The technicality of the race tracks? The sense of accomplishment when you've mastered that difficult corner?
Oh god I don't like the sound of that game. I really don't.

Pretty much my thoughts too. Most of it, I could deal with (and I quite liked seeing Wipeout ships on roads, etc.), but "a lot more focus on the weapons"... :brickwall That implies that HD Fury isn't already focused on weapons, and that they'll be even more overpowered in 2048. I'd rather play Twisted Metal or something for that kind of thing. :D

Well, I'll wait and see what the finished game is like, but it looks like I'll probably be skipping another Wipeout.

I bought a PSP solely to play PURE & PULSE, which I never do because of too small a screen, bad eyesight and I end up tipping the PSP at an angle when playing where the screen disappears entirely.
So it sits there, unused in mint condition.

Why don't you get the component cables and plug it into your TV? Or it's a 1000?

blackwiggle
3rd June 2011, 08:56 AM
It's a 1st gen PSP.

I've just been reading the NGP launch stuff at Kotaku.

They are saying 2048 will have all the tracks from HD as well as the new ones.
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/06/wipeout-2048-delivers-voice-control-ps3-competition-to-the-ngp/

Which now gives me doubts about just how true this cross compatibility is, looks like a drop in resolution down to almost WO3 levels from the screen shots, I admit it could be .jpg compression that's doing it, but still, colours are muted compared to HD on the new track that's shown, even compared to it's nearest counterpart, Ubermall.

Sausehuhn
3rd June 2011, 09:02 AM
You pretty much nailed it, eL and Darkdrium.
Also, if Anti-Gravitiy-Racing was all new, it feels a bit unnatural to have races right in the center of the world’s megacities with weapons flying around and such. I was hoping to see a lot more „underground“ in the spirit of the first three games.

But: Even though I have no good feelings just yet – Fusion all over again? – I have to admit, that we have not yet seen any real gameplay of the new title(s). And no „real“ fan playing it yet. I’m sure there will be quite some new videos, screenshots and information coming in the next months, so let’s see how it evolves.

HUD, Team logos and all that stuff – I could imagine it to be placeholders. The whole graphic design could change within the next few months. If they just recycle all of WOHD’s sponsors and such that would surely be a cheap rip-off, considering there are more than 150 years between those games. So let’s all hope the best and see what may come.

Look how unfinished Pure looked back in the day when first shown. Though I have to admit that the unfinished look was very indefinite of how the game might look in the end, which seems not to be the case now …

blackwiggle
3rd June 2011, 09:10 AM
There's a bit of gameplay video on the new tracks in the Kotaku link directly above your post.

Sausehuhn
3rd June 2011, 09:22 AM
Sure, but as it’s mostly Anulpha Pass it does not really say anything about 2048’s content. Let’s wait till we see full races and first reviews with video footage of the game that is longer than just a few moments.

qirex
3rd June 2011, 10:01 AM
sorry havent read all pages but was this video posted before?!
its from playstation blog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGsM_GQS0Lo&feature=player_embedded

unfortunately looks pretty decent to me :/

xtriko
3rd June 2011, 11:26 AM
Wider tracks so you can go more easly head to head ramming and stuff? that's exacly what I hate. special online...
Focus on weapons... hmmmm... I like more to focus on speed and good lines. I just hope they don't turn wipeout into a ultra high speed freeway. I like speed in technical tracks. my 2nd fav track still is Outpost7 and the 1st is and always be Spylskinanke from WipEout 2097
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQC5O0s7ZPw&NR=1
I would love to have back the dark atmosphere from 2097.
Even so... I'm really happy with this. My WipEout Clock started ticking again and last night I fell asleep playing pulse lol ;)
Let's see how is this going to be.

Dogg Thang
3rd June 2011, 11:30 AM
When it comes down to it, all I really want is for Wipeout to be a racing game again. From what I can see, this isn't it.

Spaceboy Gajo
3rd June 2011, 11:31 AM
I was on Kotaku last night when I saw the news and was surprised to hear that the NGP game got title and that that it would use voice control. Quickly I dismissed the gimmick that voice control will no doubt be. Any ways, I knew that there was going a Wipeout game for the NGP but all the pics I had seen earlier were nothing but them playing HD/Fury on the device. So there was no excitement on my part for thinking it's just a rehash of the PS3 version on the portable.

However seeing 2048 in the title and seeing the same chassis team would use from the first Wipeout game screamed prequel to me. So my surprise turned more into a bit of excitement. Okay a prequel. not the direction I would think they would head into but it is different, should be interesting.

Then I delved into seeing the screenshots and I was not thrilled. They didn't scream moody to me like how the first game did which was what got me hooked.

With that said, I am excited there is a new installment to the Wipeout franchise coming out and seeing Stu's video on the PlayStation blog about cross-platform multiplayer also adds to that. I didn't even think about the possibilities of 2048 being on the PS3 until much later. Heck I was just briefly thinking of getting a NGP to play HD/Fury on the device. Something I was previously not excited about but that's how overwhelmed I was in thinking about a new Wipeout game :P

Being a huge Star Wars fan, prequels have not been done right since there's already a lot of expectation from the source material. There is a general consensus that the Star Wars prequels are not the greatest and I am putting it mildly. As for me, I think they are pretty good, but there are things that can make them even better. The prequels are a part of the Star Wars universe that I take as a whole now. So what does this have to do withe Wipeout?

Reading some of the posts already in this thread I can see the questions about how this will tie into the already great and rich lore that is the Wipeout universe. Like one question that comes to mind for me at least is, where are the other teams coming from? As I know the first game had only 4 teams with 2 ships for each team for a total of 8. Reports are saying there are 20 "brand new" ships so I am think where are the other 16 teams going to come from? Repaints on the same chassis don't constitute brand new to me. Then my mind tries to fit an expectation of what some of you have said about seeing the teams that never did get to materialize later in the timeline from the first game. Which would be so pretty neat in my opinion. However, if that does not come to pass I'd be disappointed and that is where the problems in prequels come from. That we already have an idea what things should be like and when the puzzle piece does fit in the way we like it we already have a hate for that particular item.

Basically, I'm going to do my best to tone down my enthusiasm for the game to the point where I am happy that we are getting something new. I mean the whole offensive and defensive weapon pads is one way to spice things up that it is something to look forward to getting my hands on and play. That is the key here, we have to make up our minds by giving the actual product a go instead of basing it on a few reports and screenshots.

Finally, before I go I do want to comment on a couple of things.

I believe RJ is right in that the developers should have more of a presence in the social media networks. The game may not get much of a marketing or advertising budget, but that is not particularly necessary if you are putting the word out there on twitter or Facebook.

As for voice control, I earlier said it was a gimmick, but the geek in me would deep down love to say "fire" á la Captain Kirk/Picard or Commander Riker :P

Boycey83
3rd June 2011, 11:59 AM
Wow, I love the new graphical style they have went with. The mega-clean-futuristic look of HD & Fury funnily enough feels really dated. It all looks a bit too much like artwork from a mid-90s techno album or something, so changing things up is a good idea imo.

I have no intention of buying a portable machine though so I'd be really pleased if this came to the PS3 as a DLC add-on for HD, which seems like the best solution really. Wipeout HD was built to be modular and expandable, so why not make use of that? I personally don't see much point in them making a new game from ground up when they have an ideal means of delivering content already in place.

As for concerns around continuity/storyline... I don't think I could even force myself to pretend to care, haha :)

Edit: Woah wait, Wipeout isn't a racing game? What have I been playing for the past two years?

Edit again: There is a twitter feed for this http://twitter.com/#!/wipEout2048

Dogg Thang
3rd June 2011, 12:06 PM
Woah wait, Wipeout isn't a racing game? What have I been playing for the past two years?

If the modern Wipeouts, then I'd say a combat game built from the beginnings of what was once a racing game.

JABBERJAW
3rd June 2011, 12:19 PM
"Wider tracks - I cringed.

What about the driving? The technicality of the race tracks? The sense of accomplishment when you've mastered that difficult corner?"

This I think is exactly what I was thinking, but didn't put it down. I think tracks have gotten too wide for sure, It is a great feeling coming out of altima without a hit because of how thin it is. I'm not saying the ENTIRE track should be that, but certainly areas of the track. There are no tracks in Hd that feel like this. Make the game about how well you can drive (70%) and maybe 30% how well you use weapons. Now if you have the ability to absorb weapons to your shield, and activate that at will because you want to race, that would be awesome. At the same time you wouldn't be able to hit other people if you were absorbing.

In Quantum Redshift, you if you can steer straight enough, you can go after shields to block attacks, but in the effort to get the shield, you get less weapons. It is a good setup, even if you don't like that game. It's looking like this wipeout might have something like that (I know not exactly).

What is weird though, is they say it is an entirely new game, but it looks like they are using the same engine, and if it hooks up with fury, it doesn't seem the game can change at all if it needs to be compatible. There are definitely more questions than answers.

kaori
3rd June 2011, 12:21 PM
Wow some of you seem to think WipEout 2048 will be just an add-on for WipEout HD/Fury!

If you look the video between 0.47 and 1.20 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGsM_GQS0Lo&feature=player_embedded#), you'll see the real WipEout 2048, with different hud and different handling.

Boycey83
3rd June 2011, 12:29 PM
If you look the video between 0.47 and 1.20 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGsM_GQS0Lo&feature=player_embedded#), you'll see the real WipEout 2048, with different hud and different handling.

Well HD/Fury already gives you an option of different HUDs (Wip3out HUD for life!), so it can doubtlessly support another one. And they could easily adjust the handling for the 2048 veichles and restrict them to the 2048 courses if they wanted?

Don't ruin the dream man :)

stin
3rd June 2011, 01:14 PM
Barrel Roll?

stevie:|

Nutcase:259
3rd June 2011, 01:59 PM
I <3 MY... is in the background of one of the screenshots? just a nice reference, coincidence or i <3 my tDR ?

well thats the 1st thing that lept out at me. it was one of there slogans right?
also i dont think this is coming to ps3

leungbok
3rd June 2011, 02:11 PM
Barrel Roll?
Yeah !! and no videos to learn the spots !

MrSmadSmartAlex
3rd June 2011, 02:12 PM
Barrel Roll?

Too early to tell, I think. I didn't see any barrel rolls in the 2048 parts of the video. But if it's going to be very weapons-based with wide tracks, we're going to need things like barrel rolls to be in there. Otherwise, how will the skilled players escape from noobs spamming weapons?

But then perhaps Graeme Ankers (SL guy interviewed on the EU Blog) meant that they'd worked on the weapons a lot, to make them balanced, rather than it being Twisted Metal with a finish line for situations where more than one player survives :lol. I don't dislike the tactical side of the weapons at all, only how effective the mindless spamming of overpowered weapons is in HD, and to a lesser extent, Pulse and Pure.

Well, I think the game looks really cool anyway (hoping there'll be night tracks, and more indoor sections too; that was only one track that they showed in the video, after all). Hopefully, the gameplay will be great too, and not only about weapons. :)

Boycey83
3rd June 2011, 02:29 PM
But then perhaps Graeme Ankers (SL guy interviewed on the EU Blog) meant that they'd worked on the weapons a lot, to make them balanced

Hopefully! Having two different types of weapon pad kinda supports this maybe?

I don't think mindless use of weapons bothers me as much as deviously smart use of the weapons :)

Colin Berry
3rd June 2011, 03:02 PM
Having read a few more previews I am really looking forward to getting my hands on this.

I know and have worked with most if not all the team responsible and I have complete confidence the game is in extremely safe hands as there is an exceptionally talented bunch at SL working on it.

I think this is going to be an awesome AWESOME version of wipeout.

Can’t wait

Roz
3rd June 2011, 03:06 PM
Really? I got the ideia that most of SL team responsible for wipEout was disbanded when that merger/reorganization happened. Do you know if they read the forums? ;)

KGB
3rd June 2011, 04:05 PM
Barrel Roll?

Taken from http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-02-wipeout-2048-preview

"Mixed in with the regular racing will be objective-based multiplayer. It's a new twist on an old standard, with each player given an objective that'll remain secret from the competition. These could vary massively in tone: do a barrel roll mid-race, for example, kill a certain amount of people or – most devilishly – don't finish first."

Should we believe everything we read at the moment?

stin
3rd June 2011, 04:32 PM
Interesting, but I wonder what that is...but anyway, is it possible for me to buy NGP?....maybe not but maybe aye!:brickwall

stevie:)

infoxicated
3rd June 2011, 04:38 PM
Barrel Roll?

Linky confirmed to me on Twitter yesterday that it has barrel rolls in it.

With that news, I'm done with it before it even comes out. Nothing looks more wanky than a lap of barrel roll chaining - it's not a racing game any more, it's a weapon bloated gimmick festival.

I have to laugh at the canned statement in the video about "keeping the core DNA of WipEout intact." I'm pretty sure we used that one when we were selling WipEout Pure and WipEout Pulse to marketing back in the day!

Just a pity that along the way they ended up fusing that "core DNA" with Motorstorm, Quantum Redshift, Mario Kart, Twisted Metal, and all the other games that aren't WipEout. About the only thing that's "core DNA" about it is the name these days.

Still, it's nice to see the Smugshot from Burnout Paradise making a comeback as a new and exciting feature three and a half years down the road - I quite liked that.

Depending on the price I'll most probably get an NGP/Vito for all the other stuff it does and the other games I like to play, but WipEout 2048 won't be one of them.

From what I've seen so far, this isn't a reboot - it's a rehash. :(

Colin Berry
3rd June 2011, 04:38 PM
"Really? I got the ideia that most of SL team responsible for wipEout was disbanded when that merger/reorganization happened."

A lot of people who worked on pure have left but a lot remain (some even left and ended up back there such is the way things turn :) ). I'm sure there are couple for whom its their first Wipeout, but over the years many people worked on pure/pulse/HD and as such the experience and quality is there. It remains an exceptionally talented bunch.

eLhabib
3rd June 2011, 04:53 PM
Rob, I couldn't agree more. :(

mdhay
3rd June 2011, 05:07 PM
Maybe they'd still listen to us and ditch the barrel rolls?

RJ O'Connell
3rd June 2011, 05:21 PM
Psst

http://twitter.com/wipEout2048

infoxicated
3rd June 2011, 05:24 PM
Maybe they'd still listen to us and ditch the barrel rolls?
That's not going to happen - they've been in it for too long now.

I just held out some hope because they were presenting it as a "reboot", but since they've decided that it's okay to go back and bolt it on to the history of the sport as if no one gives a crap, it's pretty obvious they're staying put.

I'm at peace with it. Fact of the matter is, I got a replacement PS3 in March and haven't even re-downloaded WipEout HD yet, so I guess I was finished with WipEout as a franchise long ago. The barrel rolls killed it for me and it's never coming back.

Darkdrium777
3rd June 2011, 05:37 PM
http://twitter.com/wipEout2048Well might as well use that if it's official. At least it's something.

But yeah, I really am worried about these wider tracks. From what I see (Which is not much I will admit but still) any aspect of the perfect racing line is gone. :(

leungbok
3rd June 2011, 05:57 PM
The game isn't yet released and the infos still even to be confirmed that some of us already complains about that or that feature. How to be astonish then when devs don't post on the forum since ages !!
Please stop whinning, maybe this wipeout is a great episode with lot of stuff to make everybody happy with it, wide and narrow tracks, powerfull weapons but less random choice, BR on/off modes, 10 tracks but maybe different routes "a la fusion" 20 ships so probably the popular teams missing on HD, lot of new players on the franchise with cross platforms etc.

eLhabib
3rd June 2011, 06:13 PM
sorry, but calling the game 2048 and then using a design and art direction similar to HD/Fury just killed it on the spot for me. I don't need another HD addon.

amplificated
3rd June 2011, 06:15 PM
Yeah I was about to say, Leung - I think it's rather harsh to judge the game to be bad based on what we've seen and heard so far, which really only adds up to a poorly thought out plot and a load of marketing. What gripped me about Wipeout is the gameplay and general sleekness of the experience, not so much the story.

I think most of the diehard fans are split into two groups - those who preferred the old style racing, and those who love BR's and side shifts to eek out perfect results; so it's not hard to see that the marketing hasn't been seen as positive by either group, and I don't think the devs should take the criticism to heart too much based on that.

Ultimately, it seems like it's more of the same racing style continued from Pure to HD/Fury, which I personally like; it just remains to be seen how the game and its tracks make use of that style - and we've seen absolutely nothing in that regard as of yet.

Obviously, the racing style is again split in two parts - the casual/weapons side, and the serious/speed side. I think everyone looks at this the same way, so what do you think the marketers want to tell the general public? They want to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, so I think we owe them the benefit of doubt... for now :P

leungbok
3rd June 2011, 06:22 PM
sorry, but calling the game 2048 and then using a design and art direction similar to HD/Fury...
I agree, it's not very logical, but it kills nothing for me, the future speed/handling/track design is the part i look forward to discover ! ;)

Dogg Thang
3rd June 2011, 06:23 PM
I just held out some hope because they were presenting it as a "reboot"

Yeah, I was the same. A modern take on the classic ideas of Wipeout, I'd be all over. But those of you referencing Twisted Metal are spot-on. Wipeout is now a combat game with tricks.

I've still got so much love for Wipeout. But Wipeout no longer has love for me. Haven't even got 2097 and 3 on the PSN store. Sad state of affairs.

Still, some people are loving these modern Wipeouts and who am I to tell them they're wrong. More Wipeout of any kind will be a good thing for some and, at the very least, I'll be watching this with interest. Especially curious about how they represent the history.

Oryx Crake
3rd June 2011, 06:25 PM
I just think it's a little bit sad that the biggest fan community for wipeout seems to be the one place where I can find people who dont like the news...

mdhay
3rd June 2011, 06:32 PM
I guess if you want a proper wipEout experience, it's back to the classics and fan - made games now, eh? It's sad. I expected better tact, I really did. Probably youthful optimism more than anything else.

amplificated
3rd June 2011, 06:37 PM
I guess if you want a proper wipEout experience, it's back to the classics and fan - made games now, eh? It's sad. I expected better tact, I really did. Probably youthful optimism more than anything else.

Woah, way to jump to conclusions based on the cumulative negative speculation of others?

JABBERJAW
3rd June 2011, 06:56 PM
they need to say what the game really is though, that would be nice. don't say it is a new game, if it is using the same engine as HD. Say it is using the same engine, but the engine is being enhanced for a new game experience, with all new tracks. If we get what it is, then we can give suggestions on that type of game I think. The 2048 is very misleading, and why some people got a little miffed, rightfully so, thinking it will have the old physics, to see the video of an HD looking game. I'll personally like either game, but if it is HD, I definitely want a few fixes, mainly the LAG on my steering inputs in MP. I can understand other players ships, and weapons, but my steering should perform as it does in TT, since the input is happening right at my ps3. Also, the slowdown of mines and bombs have on ships. But suggestions are for another topic, when we learn more of what the game is like.

NO LEADER WEAPONS, OR CATCH UP!! sorry, had to say this

Sausehuhn
3rd June 2011, 07:18 PM
All I want for now is new video footage, really. Give the skeptics and enthusiasts more information and concrete to discuss about. :)

RJ O'Connell
3rd June 2011, 07:22 PM
there's nothing to discuss, game's 100% ****, Studio Liverpool are a bunch of talentless hacks. nostalgia goggles have spoken.

mdhay
3rd June 2011, 07:26 PM
Woah, way to jump to conclusions based on the cumulative negative speculation of others?

There's a negative trend in how unique wipEout is now. Like Rob said, it's becoming like anything but wipEout. Those negative speculations aren't just theirs, they're mine as well.

stin
3rd June 2011, 07:26 PM
Right, the year is 2048?... move on to original wipeout to 2097 to wipeout 3 to wipeout 3 SE and to wipeout Fusion....I mean from original to Fusion, is there any Barrel Roll?,,,sadly the answer is not! not once and yet they just destroyed it altogether!:brickwall:brickwall

Now I just wondered how the story comes up that way before original version`s stories?.......:twisted

Jury awaits...........

KGB
3rd June 2011, 07:30 PM
Get the pitch forks, light the torches, let's burn SL to the ground :|.

I honestly thought everyone would be pleased with this news, it may not be to everyone's taste, but you should be happy that they have made it at all. Not that long ago we thought there wouldn't be another one ever.

stin
3rd June 2011, 07:36 PM
Well..the problem is we are that used to OriGinaL VerSion!

Sausehuhn
3rd June 2011, 07:37 PM
Now I just wondered how the story comes up that way before original version’s stories?

That’s the smallest problem, really. If you want things to fit in a timeline, you can. After all, in 2048 the sport is new and the AG comission is trying out things. Different Weapon Pads, Barrel Rolls etc. When it comes down to the F3600 the regulations were changed because bla bla bla …

It’s probably done that way and it does in no way interfere with an existing story line, even though it might be lame and cheesy. Actually I have no problem with something like that if it fits to the game – if there was a WipEout set around 2097 I would prefer absorbing to pitlanes for example.
But the thing is really that there seems to be no need to place the game in 2048 when it has the same gameplay basics as WOHD plus new ones. If it’s just for the style and there’s nothing „old school“ left, then the whole setting feels unnatural, unnecessary even. And that’s the major problem.

Darkdrium777
3rd June 2011, 07:41 PM
So much flaming going on in this thread.

Really people are allowed to state their opinions.

Some don't like the fact that barrel rolls are in this game which is a prequel to everything. It doesn't make sense I agree (But I personally don't care about that as much as the following two points.)
I don't like what I've seen so far from the 2048 tracks, they look like F-Zero tracks and that's boring for WipEout.
I don't like the fact that weapons are what's focused on instead of the driving.

I like that Sony plans on making more WipEout games but I fear this isn't the WipEout we're waiting for as fans of the original game. I am allowed to say that ain't I?

Well judging from the reaction of a bunch of you, it seems that I should shut up, along as anyone else who expresses any concern at all about any particular point in the game. So be it. Thanks guys.

KGB
3rd June 2011, 07:50 PM
No one loves the originals more than me and I would of liked BRs and sideshifts kept out of 2048. but we haven't had a game without BRs since fusion came out which is about 10 years ago. Most fans these days except it is how wipeout is meant to be. They have to appeal to the mass market I suppose so they have incorporated them, it is not in keeping with the timeline so I agree with what people are saying to a point but I can't hate it, it's wipEout :D.

RJ O'Connell
3rd June 2011, 08:01 PM
The game has evolved so much from the 1995 original that taking everything back to the original Wipeout - no eliminations, very few weapons, slow speeds, no barrel rolls, sideshifts, etc. etc. would just seem like they stripped everything out that people commonly associate with Wipeout and that's impossible to sell to anybody but the most die-hard, old-school fans even if you say "oh, it's a throwback" to justify it.

I personally don't have a problem with eliminations, more powerful weapons, tracks on city streets, and other things you'd commonly associate with the later years of Wipeout being in this game. Remember, this is supposed to be unsanctioned or at the very least, amateur racing. Compare Ultimate Fighting Championships from today compared to the late '90s and specifically how the shows are run and how the rules were structured (or not), and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

That said, I do agree on one thing - the game needs an entirely different engine. Not HD's. But not a reverse-engineered recreation of 2097 with shinier graphics. Unfortunately, a brand new game engine isn't just going to sprout up out of the ground in less than six months when the NGP drops.

Colin Berry
3rd June 2011, 08:27 PM
People were negative about Pure, Pulse, HD and Fury before they came out and I think most who were negative changed their minds (not all but you cant please everyone and that's fine).

A lot of people on here care deeply and passionately about Wipeout but some people seem to think that caring is exclusive to the fans, and that is a mistake because it isn't. As an outsider now, its interesting to see how quickly people can accuse a dev team who are likely working 50hr+ weeks for the next 6months of not caring, and I think thats more than a little unfair.

I dunno, maybe its just me but I prefer to see it as: A new wipeout game with a new wipeout experience is coming, one that might be a little familiar in some areas but completely new in others and one that undoubtedly has things up its sleeve and sounds and looks interesting from the little thats been released. As such I'm quite excited to learn more about it and get my hands on it when its out.

Darkdrium777
3rd June 2011, 08:28 PM
I don't agree with stripping everything back either and that's not what I meant by talking about the original game.
I guess I can't explain it well enough. But I'm still worried that 1/4th of what makes WipEout what it is will be missing from this game. (Unique style - Speed - Unique weapons - Driving)

I don't have any doubts about the visual style being something we haven't seen before. The concept of 3 layers of buildings as he explained in the video sounds nice.
Speed, well it's WipEout. There will be Phantom class, again no doubts.
Unique weapons, well obviously it wouldn't be WipEout without the quake disruptor or the plasma.
But the driving. Ugh, the track looks so boring in these screenshots. I'm hoping it's just a special part of the track and it's not all like that. But he said they were wider to focus more on the fighting than on the driving.

I'm sorry it just can't be helped. I'll have to see what it is when it comes out.

EDIT cause Colin posted.

I can only speak for myself, but when I saw the teaser for WipEout Pulse I had zero doubts. Zero. Same when I saw HD's teaser, and same with Fury's. Absolutely zero doubts. I knew it was gonna be the same thing I loved. I could see it in the trailer, the graphics, the track design, everything was there. I don't see it in this video reveal. What I see is the good side of WipEout HD Fury for the multiplayer cross platform part, and then I see some weird F-Zero thing whenever they show 2048's single player gameplay.

But I am NOT saying that they don't care about the game they are making. Really, I bet they are 110% dedicated to it. But it's probably not my taste, same as other's. Hence what we're saying. But people are quick to jump to conclusions and immediately because some people say something not 100% favorable to the game it means they hate it and hate the people who are making it. Come on.

EDIT 2

On that ending comment, thanks Slacker for proving my point in your newest thread (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8174). You made it too easy.

I mean seriously. How can this devolve into such nonsense. I say I'm worried about certain things, others say they're worried about certain different things, others agree, thus we all hate the game?! WHAT. It does not make sense.
The people who are looking forward to this game say we people who are worried about certain things are jumping to conclusions. But aren't they jumping to conclusions themselves by labeling us as haters?

Really guys, think about it hard for a long minute.

stin
3rd June 2011, 08:59 PM
People were negative about Pure, Pulse, HD and Fury before they came out and I think most who were negative changed their minds (not all but you cant please everyone and that's fine).

People? maybe but not me, I adore Pure no matter what and I still plays often as I can than Pulse but again I love Pulse too!! (PSP only), I actually prefer Pure, because of less BR than Pulse but on certain tracks cannot use BR which I`m happy with that.

HD and Fury, don`t get me wrong, great graphics, great tracks, great ships...no question! but faaar tooo many Barrel Rolls which totally killed the game!! IMO.

Now, If I got the money?, yes I will get it anyway but that just me. :)

That is my critic!:redface:

amplificated
3rd June 2011, 09:11 PM
Barrel rolls are awesome. You don't have to perform them, if you aren't good enough you can rely on weapons to mess things up for the people that are good at the game. You shouldn't take it to heart that you can't get into the top times just because you can't BR.

They're fun and take skill, yet are completely optional - what's not to love?

p.s.
They also allow people that can do them to be delightfully condescending! :P

Sausehuhn
3rd June 2011, 09:17 PM
I like the two edits you gave to your post, Darkdrium.

The people at Studio Liverpool gave us great games and they’re surely talented guys (woha! – that photo on twitter with all those concept arts in the background!) and I have no doubt they’re making a good game there. I only asked myself if the game will turn out what I would call a WipEout game set in 2048 (Did someone mention Mag (http://cf.shacknews.com/images/20110602/wipeoutngp004_18221.sgaf.jpg) Strips (http://cf.shacknews.com/images/20110602/wipeoutngp001_18221.sgaf.jpg) already?).

It’s a forum – let’s share our opinions. It’s not about labeling people, eh?

Rotational_aspect
3rd June 2011, 09:33 PM
I disagree about BRs- they are down to luck rather than skill, and thats why I hate them. Many times I have had enough height and after several attempts got nothing.

My negativity for 2048 stems from the fact the franchise is becoming ever more diluted- perhaps as a devoted fan I have lost perspective, but I do not want a combat racing game (with the emphasis on combat). The game has also lost its distinctive style- I know when I saw Fusion it was an instinctive 'NO!!!', and the same is happening now. Maybe these changes are pushing the game to new audiences, but the same audiences are spoilt for choice and a generic WO game will not pull them in.

Perhaps you cant win either way!

judus
3rd June 2011, 09:35 PM
I love wipeout. Every single game, even fusion. There was always something "awe" about each one that pulled me in.

It could have been given any other non specific title that would put most critics here at rest. However '2048' implies prequel and fans of the original are right to expect this to be a real prequel and not just some name sake title slapped on to another natural progression of wipeout series. (note I said expect, not hate :P)

I'd wait for more concrete info on the game before ruling it out.

leungbok
3rd June 2011, 09:47 PM
I disagree about BRs- they are down to luck rather than skill, and thats why I hate them. Many times I have had enough height and after several attempts got nothing

I almost always succeed in BRs, even when i don't get enough air, but i'm a very lucky guy ! :lol
Strange ID for a BR hater ! :p

Darkdrium777
3rd June 2011, 09:57 PM
(Did someone mention Mag (http://cf.shacknews.com/images/20110602/wipeoutngp004_18221.sgaf.jpg) Strips (http://cf.shacknews.com/images/20110602/wipeoutngp001_18221.sgaf.jpg) already?)I like how the style looks in those shots. It's really well done. And yeah that background of concept art was amazing. The ships look great too.

But you already know what I don't like about these shots. :(

So yeah, I'm hoping that in the higher speeds there remains some challenge in navigating these tracks. Please make it so.

Rotational_aspect
3rd June 2011, 10:01 PM
leungbok> can I burrow your joypad sometime then? I only beat Zico in a caffeine powered rage, and sometimes I still think it was a dream....

Flint Fandango
3rd June 2011, 10:03 PM
If it will be released for the PS3 (add-on or standalone), then my mighty childlike curiosity wins! I would give it a try, just because it´s a WipEout game after all.
But if 2048 will be exclusively released for the PSP2, I wouldn´t care much about it, because I can´t afford the NGP. It would not be wothwhile anyway, just because of 2048.

Just my 2 cents...:|

WolfKill01
3rd June 2011, 10:06 PM
20 ships and 10 tracks? How about 20 tracks and 10 ships. 20 different ships is just too much. Unless it's 10 teams with two pilots like in the original. I just hope the first four are here. I really hope there's actually some heart put into this one instead of it being just a glorified tech demo. :?

JABBERJAW
3rd June 2011, 10:55 PM
this weapon thing will be key for me, they could get it just right, with offensive/defensive weapons battling it out, someone gets the lead and activates shield as much as possible while using thier skill to drive over defensive weapon pads, and hoping for a turbo, THAT could be great.

What would not be great would be an addition of a leader weapon(hits leader from anywhere). This weapon has been put into many games, and it sucks in every one, making practice useless. Another problem could be people in behind getting far better weapons, like all the turbos, quakes (this sort of thing has been in wipeout 64 and other games), and this sucks as well.

What would also be terrible for any wipeout is for either A)the player in front slows down so the person in behind catches up(wipeout xl in 1 on 1 mode), B) The player in behind gets a speed boost in performance so to catch up (hydrothunder), or C) they put in that stupid slipstream manouever (ridge racer), where the vehicle in behind can draft and go far faster, even from a far distance away, so they catch up immediately, and it makes it impossible to get away (I don't want nascar).

Those three things have ruined many games in the past, and hopefully neither speed catch up or weapons assist will be in this game.

leungbok
3rd June 2011, 11:09 PM
leungbok> can I burrow your joypad sometime then?
I agree that BRs aren't easy to perform with the stick and i can't imagine how internal view users are performing them !:eek

Oryx Crake
3rd June 2011, 11:25 PM
Wow you party poopers! what a bunch of effing pessimists! I get that the games have changed since 3 SE and all that and not everyone is happy about it but why the hell stick around if you think the games after that are crap?! I mean it's been what 10 years? hell of a long time to go around being pissed about a video game!

I'm honestly sick of the fact that every time there is a discussion about a new game potential or otherwise there is always someone complaining that we aren't getting a re-release of 2097.
Honestly this is preposterous! and I'm not just saying this because I like the new games I love the old ones too but just get over it already.
I cant be alone in thinking that I've had enough whining about BRs and physics and all that other crap! And to have every discussion about new incarnations be diseased with the same tired arguments over and over... I'm ****ing tired of it! and it's draining my enthusiasm.

So here's what I propose: There should be a pro and there should be a con thread for WO 2048 so that anyone who feels the need to diss a game that hasn't even had a proper trailer yet can go into one and anyone who wants to speculate about all the fun things they could put into it could go into the other.

please dont ruin it for the rest of us
/Oryx

P.S.
I don't mean to insult anyone here but this glum and disheartening attitude is just getting me down and mad.

xEik
4th June 2011, 12:14 AM
We use the same arguments over and over because they are as true today as they were the first day. You can talk all day long about the skill involved in barrel rolls but the truth is that they are to wipEout what bunny hopping is to FPS. No one doubts that it takes skill to pull them off correctly and consistently but in my opinion they ultimately make the game worse. Well, at least we can be grateful we don't have snaking (yet). :P

blackwiggle
4th June 2011, 12:31 AM
I got to laugh at some of the more vehemently negative thoughts about a game we have only seen a few screen shots of one track.

Firstly it's a 100% probability that 95%+ of you will all go out and buy 2048 regardless of what you are posting now if it's made available for the PS3, and you know it.:nod
If it's just for the NGP then I think a lot will give it a miss.

Secondly, what we have seen so far is so little that no meaningful comment can be made regarding pro's and con's of what 2048 will actually be like to play.

We won't get our hands on it until at least the first quarter of 2012 anyway, so that's at least 7 months of conjecture regarding 2048 to read at the zone.
I think we have all got that down pat, we've been doing it for years :lol

JABBERJAW
4th June 2011, 12:34 AM
The problem is we won't get a proper trailer on a track with jumps or sharp turns on the fast speed. that is the way it always seems to work

At this pt I have accepted the fact of the new games, but let's really get it right this time, with the hd bad bad mines/bombs, or the lag on your steering inputs. make the game more racer friendly, instead of only about weapons, maybe if you SMASH a wall you should severely slow down, instead of losing .5 seconds. these are the things that I am hoping for (and my previous post).

Oryx, lots are pissed because they had hopes of 2048, and they were dashed with the viewing of the game. Then SL said it was a NEW game, which it very much seems like it is not, but maybe modified. what I hope for here is that these modifications deal with the above two posts, which would make it IMO a very good game, without even changing too much at all.

I think what would be best would be two completely different physics engines, one old school(XL, not 2097, and not a modified hd engine pretending to be XL) and the other one an enhanced HD system, and they can be played separate from each other, Basically being able to play through the game 2 X with a completely different experience.

I believe all the old school wipeout lovers (1.5 million bought wo1 and XL) deserve for this to happen.

subtotal
4th June 2011, 12:38 AM
well said oryx , is this the pro or con thread ?
when fury was first released i didnt like the new game modes it has but loads of ppl are playing them online , thus keeping the game alive in different ways for different ppl -which is better for all of us cos hopefully the game will keep getting more content added etc.
all i want is a steady addition of new tracks ,ships and modes, i'm happy with how HD plays and looks and now with Sony dishing out Wipeout for free at the moment we should get a new generation of Wipeout lovers , keeping the demand for new content high
the developers have to add new ideas otherwise wipeout wouldnt be going anywhere and we'd probably get bored of that
we can tweak play to suit us at the end of the day -i'm just thankful new stuffs on the way ( i know we all are )
passion runs high round here concerning wipeout and rightly so and that makes it a great community to be part of

btw i think all we should be moaning about regarding 2048 is the price , i've heard its going to be a £100 !! :D

eLhabib
4th June 2011, 12:58 AM
Well..the problem is we are that used to OriGinaL VerSion!

Stevie, I LOVE that comment :)

You know what pisses me off most about what they showed and told of 2048 so far? Every game that is part of a franchise and not a completely new IP seems to be sold by stating it has more more more. I DON'T CARE.
We don't need 20 ships! Think about it! There is no way they will balance 20 ships perfectly.
And I don't need new game modes either. NOT AT ALL!
Why do marketing people always think that the only way to attract the casual, standard customer is to state you have MORE than the last game in the franchise?
Give me 4 teams - YES, FOUR - which are perfectly balanced, each suiting a totally different style of racing. That's all you need, really! That, combined with a way to personalize your ship by adjusting the color scheme and throwing on some decals is all we will ever need in variety! If the gameplay is perfectly tailored to those 4 racing styles, with the tracks supporting different approaches to the perfect racing line, depending on the ship you use, that's a lot deeper than what we see in HD/Fury, where the differences between some ships, handling-wise, are so minor, a newcomer to the game wouldn't notice them! The reason HD/Fury has so many ships is because people want to express themselves through their ship, in style and appearance. A color/decal system fixes that way better than a large selection of mostly similar ships ever could!

Barrel rolls / mag strips are in 2048 it seems. Why? Simply because the marketing people seem to think if they take them out, it seems to the casual customer that this game has less to offer than the last one in the series. THAT'S BULLSH*T! Just make the game different enough from the last one that it stands out as an INDIVIDUAL GAME. Sure, if you use the same engine, the same textures, track elements etc. people are gonna think, hey, this is practically the same game but they took barrel rolls and mag strips out, SO IT'S LESS NOW. Well then, if you claim to be taking place BEFORE THE FIRST GAME IN THE SERIES then take the time to rethink the visual identity!

This looks to me like a minimum effort to make the most of existing assets to try and make something somewhat new out of it that you can sell to enough people to justify the effort itself. Ambition: ZERO. Sorry if that sounds harsh on the developers - and I don't mean to say that they aren't talented guys, I'm sure as a game, viewed by itself, 2048 is gonna be a quality product - but what wipEout once stood for was razor-sharp, highly technical gameplay coupled with inspired, unique art direction and graphic design. 2048 is a rehash of a rehash, when you think about it, this is still wipEout Pulse, basically. And Pulse was a good game, but that was years ago.

blackwiggle
4th June 2011, 01:00 AM
The thing that made HD/FURY barrel roll paradise for some, and a seemingly uneven playing field for those who find barrel rolls a trial to do, was the bumpy track surfaces, there all over the place.

Maybe SL might of found a way to address this, I don't know if this is true, but it could be a reason for the widening of the tracks.

Theoretically, say you have the tracks wider and flatter than the HD/FURY tracks for the most part, but, there are also the equivalent size bumps/humps that you could do BR's on, but they are off the racing line.
Now that gives you the option of racing with the tightest lines, or going off those lines to use the bumps/humps to do BR's off.

This would really open up the game tactically, and appease both types of pilots.

RJ O'Connell
4th June 2011, 01:07 AM
Pulse was a good game if you have a European or Australian PSN account and funds, otherwise, HD is just everything Pulse should have been

JABBERJAW
4th June 2011, 01:38 AM
Actually just watched the interview, had only seen the gameplay before. Wider tracks so the will be more fighting!? Wtf, seriously what about the effing difficult driving that hd had some of, and pulse and pure certainly had. Wider tracks so you never hit the wall, the tracks were already wide in hd. I hope there are difficult tracks, if so I'm upset for nothing, but this does not sound good, I don't care how good the game looks. people do have a reason to be upset, it keeps getting further away in every installment of what wo is. Did the devs even look in woz and see that most thought the weapons were too much?, then more are added.

To not flame the other thread, WIDER tracks were stated by the developer. it will take all driving skill out of the game and become twisted metal racing where everyone goes close enough to the same speed, so no one can get away, this is downright terrible. The damn game should mostly be about racing! Just like every previous version.

Kyonshi
4th June 2011, 02:38 AM
Why the hell do they need to do a prequel?

Dont get me wrongs, im glad a new Wipeout title is being made. The franchise is confirmed to still be alive. But on the other hand, im currently unsatisfied. And yes, i know lots of you guys will tell me that we only saw a tiny glimpse of what WO2048 is, but i have to reply something about this; here, we're mostly all WO veteran players and we are at some point very accurate in our intuitive assumptions, so its nothing but legitimate to have the type of opinions we have here, even mine.

Im not overjoyed with retro, steam-punk look of the ship. I dont understand this turn of event. We're in the 23rd century in the Wipeout timeline, i really dont see the need to go back 200 years earlier. All of this only means one thing to me; reboot and trying to make something old look new, when there's already everything available to make the franchise go forward.

Its not the time for reboot, ITS TIME FOR NEW STUFF. ITS TIME FOR CONTENT, NOT WRAPPING. And what the **** is this touch-screen functions??? I dont care about gimmicks, i want elaborate and deepened gameplay!!

WOHD/Fury was a nice introduction to the next generation capabilities, but at this point, enough with recycling. With the possibilities of the NGP and PS3, its time for new tracks, new ship design with custom skins, new game mechanics and not making the tracks wider, having 2 types of weapon pads and having sluggish and static ship maneuverability, like we clearly saw in the game footage vid.

I remember the firsts ads for wipE'out" being about using instincts. Now i can feel that this concept is somehow left over. Defensive and offensive weapon pads give no place for use of instincts, anticipation, readiness. Wider tracks could mostly result to what Jabberjaw stated. All in all, this new WO2048 seems to be a test game, a user-friendly playground to accomodate new players, and for some that are whining about the steep learning curve of Wipeout games.

All this said, i maybe wrong, i can concede it. But until we see the real result, i will remain on my positions and opinions, and so far, i dont think im 100% mistaken...

amplificated
4th June 2011, 02:43 AM
I disagree about BRs- they are down to luck rather than skill, and thats why I hate them. Many times I have had enough height and after several attempts got nothing.

The problem actually is getting your ship in the right position to BR - I don't think HD's controls are fine enough, and because of that, you can't abuse some of the curves in the track as easily as you should be able to; and for many advanced BR's, come down to luck and only reward extreme perseverence - case in point, Anulpha Pass Venom and about 8/14 or so of the potential BR's in SL.

My negativity for 2048 stems from the fact the franchise is becoming ever more diluted- perhaps as a devoted fan I have lost perspective, but I do not want a combat racing game (with the emphasis on combat). The game has also lost its distinctive style- I know when I saw Fusion it was an instinctive 'NO!!!', and the same is happening now. Maybe these changes are pushing the game to new audiences, but the same audiences are spoilt for choice and a generic WO game will not pull them in.

Perhaps you cant win either way!

I'd really hate to see the game become a weapons-fest as well, but all we've heard is marketing, and as I already wrote: I don't think that marketing was aimed at anyone here at WOZone. I think SL easily deserve a chance to show more of the game off before anyone can claim the new game is all about weapons instead of skill at actual racing. As BW said, we've seen a handful of screenshots of what appears to be two sections of one track, so it's hard to make any call at all at this point in time. I think I've seen a single still of another track.

----
I think that really, the only thing fans have to legitimately complain about is the title, as it clearly doesn't fit in with the established overarching storyline, even if that storyline is completely unspoken in some of the games.

In a game that's always been about speed and skill, it's hard to take the marketing about weapons entirely at face value.

I have to say I'm surprised there aren't more people just being excited about a new WipEout - instead there's a huge hate brigade from all the old guys who want the old racing style, and those who have gotten caught in the marketing and have made a judgment without seeing even 1% of the game.

Edit@Kyonshi:
I actually agree that WipEout should be looking to the future, but SL isn't taking the plot seriously at all and seem to be putting all the stuff that was in HD/Fury in 2048, and there might even be new features we haven't heard about yet.

I personally think WipEout should be designed for a main console, and I think the best way to realise a new title would be on the PS4. I'd honestly like to design a WipEout game; SL should totally contact me based on absolutely no good reason to make the PS4 game :nod

RJ O'Connell
4th June 2011, 04:30 AM
There won't be a PS4 revealed until 2013 at least, if Sony are smart.

Back to WO2048...I guess right now I'm feeling both overwhelmingly excited and a little disappointed. Ultimate judgment is probably going to come down when I have more than just :20 of cam footage at my disposal to pick apart.

Everyone can take what I have to say with a grain of salt... Remember, I actually liked Fusion. :p

blackwiggle
4th June 2011, 04:39 AM
You got to look at 2048 for what it's intended design brief would of been rather than looking at it as a wipeout purist.

SL were told that all further development on any wipeout was to stop a few months before FURY was released, so basically the franchise had been mothballed and we were expecting the worse, No more wipeouts.

Then around Sept/Oct last year Sony must of told SL about the forthcoming NGP and the wipeout team reassembled, dusted off and 2048 started production.

2048 only exists because of the NGP , of course SL would have had a design brief to utilize the NGP's new features, it stands to reason, pretty pointless having these features and not having a game that can use them.
We all know wipeout has traditionally been used as a launch title for every new Sony console, each new wipeout has had stuff added to it, what made anybody think things would change this time around?

The fact that 2048 is cross compatible with the PS3 is a god send for wipeout fans, and something we weren't expecting, sure it's not the full blown PS3 console game we all wished for, it was never designed as one.

Just accept 2048 for what it is, a game designed to show off the NGP, and be thankful that we will be able to play it on our PS3's.

It could of been worse, No new Wipeout at all.

JABBERJAW
4th June 2011, 05:37 AM
The developers said the tracks would be wider, and would be lots more weapon interaction, that is crap, sorry, that is not wipeout racing. this is not speculation, this is what the developers said.

I don't give a crap if they make it similar to the new games like HD, but don't dumb that freaking game down so it isn't wipeout at all. I don't want a shooter, HD already had too much weapons, but at least hd had skillful racing as well, this seems as the developers say to bring it more into weapons, and take the skill of driving out, If this is not the case, THEY WOULD NOT SAY IT.

These are complete legit complaints here, and if this is the case, it would be the first wipeout game I don't get, or at least return. Lots of the veterans love pure, and some pulse, and most would like hd, if not for the bugs(some don't like too much brs), so don't say it's only about the physics.

Don't know why you want to insult the "old guys", the guys who want the dirving to actually be difficult.

amplificated
4th June 2011, 05:50 AM
The developers said the tracks would be wider, and would be lots more weapon interaction, that is crap, sorry, that is not wipeout racing. this is not speculation, this is what the developers said.
...If this is not the case, THEY WOULD NOT SAY IT.

... and if this is the case

Way to discover you don't actually know if you have a right to be angry (yet).

Don't know why you want to insult the "old guys", the guys who want the dirving to actually be difficult.

I didn't insult the fans of the old style of racing at all, I only pointed out that a significant proportion of the people in this thread that have said they are disappointed with 2048 are bringing up the view that they don't like the "new" direction of racing style WipEout has taken. Take offense to that if you will, although it wouldn't make sense to.

One thing: "old style" isn't the same as "difficult" - you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that didn't think HD was difficult, and that's not taking into account the BR's.

leungbok
4th June 2011, 07:55 AM
To not flame the other thread, WIDER tracks were stated by the developer. it will take all driving skill out of the game and become twisted metal racing where everyone goes close enough to the same speed, so no one can get away, this is downright terrible. The damn game should mostly be about racing! Just like every previous version.
Off course wider tracks are not something which can makes us trusty about a driving based game. But let's hope some tracks are sufficiently tricky to offer a real challenge.

And if the tracks are wide and pretty easy to race, hard BRs will be the only way to separate skilled pilots from the average ones :p
just kidding, i hope some challenge with difficult turns, maybe some paths off each track are thinner than others. If the multi path for each track is confirmed ! I'm sorry but i just have difficulty understanding all the vocal interviews, the people on it speaks too fast (as everyone on his native tongue ;)) for me :brickwall !!

Boycey83
4th June 2011, 08:32 AM
They should make it so you can disable weapons or BRs.

Ohh wai...

Colin Berry
4th June 2011, 09:51 AM
I believe all the old school wipeout lovers (1.5 million bought wo1 and XL) deserve for this to happen.

1.5mil sorry Jabber, thats not quite right.
If you combine every version pre Pure it comes close to 1.5mil (wipeout, 2097/xl, WO3, WO3SE, WOFusion)
Fusion was the largest selling worldwide pre Pure and it didnt hit 500k. It might say different on the internets, but its wrong. The first two had a high tie in rate to machine ownership (in europe) but machine ownership in the early 18months of Playstation was not massive when compared to todays figures.

Also Wide tracks doesnt necessarily equate to wide primary racing line. Track width is only one aspect of difficulty.

Lets hope we get more info and videos from E3.

BulletWraith
4th June 2011, 09:52 AM
@ JABBERJAW
I think this is going to be great!, it takes me back to wipEout Fusion
after we get a Fusion we get a Pure
or atleast that's what I'm hoping, give us this wipEout 2048 and then go back to the roots and give us a real racer

but I'd love a name change, 2048?
that's ****ing child abuse
leave that name for a WO that suits it, this is going to be a great game, no need piss on the old style of play with giving it such a name
looking forward to more info :D

zer0shen

JABBERJAW
4th June 2011, 12:34 PM
Way to discover you don't actually know if you have a right to be angry (yet).

THEY SAID the tracks would be wider, hence it DOES make it easier, it doesn't matter if you gain .1 or .2 on someone who went to the outside of the track, because they weren't steering right, because ,now instead of them hitting the wall from driving poorly, you are in their sights instead wth a missle. This was somewhat the case with HD, BUT HD had some hard tracks. Wider will make it far worse, and even further away from a racing game. Wipeout 1,xl,64,3 and pure had multiple turns in many tracks that were difficult to navigate, or really hard to get around without losing time either hitting or having used too much break.

WIDER TRACKS AND MOSTLY FIGHTING IS NOT WIPEOUT

Colin, I had read many places that wipeout 1 had sold 1 mil copies, and xl/2097 .5 million, and fusion far behind those. Why are those the numbers? I have to find that site and link it.

"One thing: "old style" isn't the same as "difficult" - you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that didn't think HD was difficult, and that's not taking into account the BR's."

Yes it does, old style does mean the same as "very difficult", the old driving skill set IS harder, the driving difficulty is far harder unless you would like to prove otherwise by taking one of the games, playing it, and saying, HEY look how easy this is. HD was difficult on a few tracks, somewhat on a few others, and not at all on some, still required skill to get the best time, but not by seconds here, only by tenths. PUlse was harder than pure, Pure was harder than pulse, wo64 was harder than pure, woxl (normal ships) was harder than 64, wo3 was harder than xl, wo1 was harder than wo3, and wipeout xl (piranha) was the hardest of them all.

That is regarding driving skills, and staying off the wall. If the list was for where I am going to place a bomb so the next pilot will be out of the race with one hit, because noone is hitting the walls, that would be a different list.

At this point, I would be very happy with HD similar tracks with a revamped weapon system (if you can defend yourself). I don't want to be playing a dragstrip

What would have helped HD/pulse I think would be an option to do TT races like in pure. That should never have been taken out. Turning weapons off is not the same because it is too slow without the turbo. Also, Hd is far too get lucky with weapons, and you cannot defend yourself in the beginning. You can be out of a race in 4 seconds sometimes, and done nothing wrong.

OH, fusion, I like it in Multiplayer, and so would most who came to the NA tournament. The weapons were perfectly implemented with the amount of slowdown (as long as you choose the standard weapons). This would be a good feature for online, choosing the weapons you want to use (BUT no records unless all are on)

eLhabib
4th June 2011, 01:08 PM
One thing: "old style" isn't the same as "difficult" - you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that didn't think HD was difficult, and that's not taking into account the BR's.

HD was NOT difficult. There, I said it. I breezed through the campaign, so did many of the other veterans.
Play the original trilogy and you will see what HARD means.

kaori
4th June 2011, 01:15 PM
Incredible all this agressive messages, after 8 pictures & a video of one turn !

I hoped a new game, it seems to be a new game, not a portage of the remix. It's right for me. I'll tell the game is bad when I will play it.

If some of you really want a true WipEout, I invite you to visit the PSStore, it is back and WipEout is in for 5€ or 5$, for PS3, PSP and the future NGP.

JABBERJAW
4th June 2011, 01:23 PM
it's not the pictures, it is what is said in the interview

eLhabib
4th June 2011, 01:28 PM
kaori, even if we only go by the pictures, you will agree that calling a game 2048 and then using HD-style track assets, speed pads and logos everywhere is pissing on the heads of the true fans.
call it an addon or sequel to HD and we're fine. It's not what I want to play, but I won't mind it. But going down the retro road and then doing THIS ought to piss us off, don't you think?

KGB
4th June 2011, 03:46 PM
I dont know about all this wide track business, I always thought Altima was one of the widest tracks in the whole series, which is the very first track most of us ever played. It has never been about track width to me it's about ship control. If it takes time to master the ship then any track will be hard master to. Obviously it looks like they will handle similar if not the exact same as HD, so it may turn out for the worse, as it has been said HD is the easiest game in the whole series, which is not a bad thing in itself.

It does look too much like HD for me as well so time will tell if it really will look like a stand alone title. Mind you, the first three look very similar in style to me (were they made using the same engine?) and only until Fusion did it change drastically, but I'll say it again the game exists which is all I'm bothered about, as a long, long time true fan I am amazed they are still releasing it after all these years, long may it continue.

EDIT: thinking about it wip3out looks totally different, forget that bit

mic-dk
4th June 2011, 05:58 PM
Indeed, I'll too stay positive until I see the actual game, but I will admit I am a bit of a sceptic. I belong firmly in the camp that wants more racing and less combat.
And that whole "secret mission" is ridiculous - "Your seekrit mission is: Don't win!" That's a first in a racing game, I'll give them that... :lol

Oh and please put it out on disc for the PS3. I'll never trust Sony with my credit card again...

Dogg Thang
4th June 2011, 06:42 PM
Every game that is part of a franchise and not a completely new IP seems to be sold by stating it has more more more. I DON'T CARE.
We don't need 20 ships! Think about it! There is no way they will balance 20 ships perfectly.
And I don't need new game modes either. NOT AT ALL!
Why do marketing people always think that the only way to attract the casual, standard customer is to state you have MORE than the last game in the franchise?

Totally agree with this.

And, as you say, it's not just Wipeout. Look at Soul Calibur. They're on 5 now and always taking about the new modes, create-a-character, bonus characters and so on and, every single time, the discussion all over the 'net is - man, the DC Soul Calibur was fantastic. Not because of the myriad of modes or bonuses but because what was there was excellent.

Same with WO2097, as an example. It didn't have 36 tracks, 700 ships, 1000 modes. But each element there was fantastic.

More crap is just more crap and it rarely makes a game any better.

Now if they came out and said, 'look guys, it's just eight tracks but these are going to be the best tracks we've ever made' or 'we're going to work our asses off to make the handling in this game better than ever', that's what would count. That's what would say - we're aiming to make a great game. Rather than, we're aiming to make the biggest game.

Focus is lost.

And, like Soul Calibur, what it actually says is this - we don't have faith in our game. We don't believe the game is good enough.

It's like a smart, funny, beautiful girl getting a ridiculous boob job.

Colin Berry
4th June 2011, 07:16 PM
It really doesn't matter where on the internet you read those sales figures, they simply aren't true. We were given the official sales figures internally when making Pure of all previous versions, and Fusion was the leader and it was sub 500k (BAM only took an order of 65k for the NTSC regions wipeout never sold particularly well in the states prior to Pure - It was something like Fusion > WO3+SE > 2097/XL > WO1 - and it makes logical sense, Fusion was released when there were MILLIONS of PS2s in circulation, WO3+SE were released when there were more PSOnes than 2097/XL and WO1 - potential audience bigger - so unless sonys internal sales division gave us wrong info...).

Track width is not the only measure of difficulty, what if the tracks are twice as wide but there are 400 ships on track all going 50 times faster than ever before. Or what if the tracks were really narrow, but the track design consisted of long straight bits and gradual bends, and uncompetitive AI?

Perhaps there will be some easier tracks than recent versions, I hope there is, because I think the game needs to broaden, it needs to get both easier at one end and harder at the other. It needs to be accessible in order to survive and it needs to satisfy the small hardcore base and adapt to the fact people are used to playing it.
With HD we tried to broaden things and make the hard hard, and the easy easy and it worked to an extent, but no developer can balance a games difficulty for the best 50 players, because that is development suicide. Likewise you can't make it so you hold X and win no matter what in easy mode.

I'm just happy the franchise is still going, and hopefully sony have realised both wipeout and the Liverpool studio are actually gems they need to cherish. I am excited to see how it turns out, the most important thing will be how it plays and we won't get to judge that for a while yet.

@Dogg Thang, what if the new elements enhance or improve the game?
Should Wipeout just follow the blueprint of the first?
so we have no online, no zone mode, no extra ships, only 6/7 tracks / weapons, no campaign, etc
10 versions of that, without change ?
You have to try new things and see what works, and sometimes you dont know until its out there. we added 3(?) weapons in Pulse which we genuinely at the time thought was the right idea, we then removed them for HD because they weren't. We really went to town on Zone Mode, should we have never done that because it wasnt in the first game? I'm glad we did because I think its awesome.
I agree what is there should be honed to as near perfection as can be, the devil is in the detail, but I see no problem adding new things if they are done right and are done because people believe they add to the experience.

End of the day if I want to listen to Alice in Chains first Album, I still can even when the 5th album has been released. Depends on the mood

leungbok
4th June 2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks Colin ! Some good vibes among all that conservatism atmosphere, lol.

amplificated
4th June 2011, 07:52 PM
@ Dogg: Where did you get the idea that 2048 is just "more everything"? I admit the number of ships is a bit high (not necessarily a bad thing, mind you), but the number of tracks is smaller than what came with HD (which had 12 on release, each reversible and usable in Zone). I haven't seen anyone mention more weapons or items or anything else that could be considered over the top. Also, the ships probably include all of those from HD/Fury as well, since 2048 can be played with the PS3 game.

I think you have absolutely no grounds to make any of those claims, 'Thang.

HD is NOT difficult
For veterans of the last few PSP games, yeah, the campaign wouldn't have been that hard. However, the game's trophies added a lot, IMO, and there were a few of those that would have been rather challenging to the vast majority of people.

For new players like me that hadn't touched WipEout for more than 20 minutes at a time in over a decade? It took a while to come to grips with things.

kaori, even if we only go by the pictures, you will agree that calling a game 2048 and then using HD-style track assets, speed pads and logos everywhere is pissing on the heads of the true fans.

No, they are not pissing on the heads of "true fans". They're pissing on the heads of people that care about a logical plot, and that's what they should be being called out on. You shouldn't say that the entire game is a travesty against mankind just because of one aspect that is ultimately beside the point of a game.

There's nothing wrong with the gameplay in the series, and they don't seem to be making any serious changes to that. The only problem is that they've transplanted it into a place and time that doesn't make sense. I don't blame anyone that cares about the game and its story for being upset; but personally, I couldn't care less about the story.
As long as the game plays as well as HD and has its own features work well for it, I'll be happy to play it.

Also, I think it's a little self righteous to infer that the only true fans are people like you, and think the story is necessary for the experience to be worthwhile.

I'll say it again: I don't blame you for being annoyed, but I think you've stepped over the bounds of what you should be annoyed about in the majority of your posts, where you outright hate '2048 as a whole rather than rip on the developers/people in charge who made the decision to make a HD-style game and slap the number 2048 in the title.

Hell, technically this could all be overblown, and there could actually be a story that justifies the title somehow, like "some rich guy wondered what it would be like using the tracks available at the beginning of the sport, only being used with modern ships. Then he created a tournament about it and called it 2048". Unlikely, but hey, plots are rickety storytelling devices in pop culture these days. It's a shame that it's happened to Wipeout, but nearly every franchise/TV show/movie/etc. being released has logical inconsistencies that make people who care cringe. The world keeps on turning, and all we can do is hope that the stupidity doesn't spiral out of control. I don't think it has done that yet.

it's not the pictures, it is what is said in the interview Now, let's take a look at what this interview was for: the unveiling of a new product.
Okay, we've got that down. Now, let's take the key words from that sentence: "unveiling", and "new product".

This whole unveiling is a teaser for what's to come. The entire ordeal has been a puff piece to market the game alongside Uncharted and the like that were formally announced at the same time as '2048. Nothing said in any interview was substantive in the least, at least from what I've seen.

Wide tracks? Weapons? They're things that appeal to the casual market, and people that have played the game already who thought "wow, this is hard, but this new game sounds alright if I aren't crashing into the walls every few seconds".

I've already said this, but we've seen less than 1% of the game. Most of the footage has been of some noob ramming into walls on Anulpha Pass. There is nothing to be upset about, based on anything seen or heard yet - just room for cautiousness.

Unless you're a die-hard for the original racing style over BR's and stuff and actually had hopes set on the next game being a return. Then you can be upset.

xEik
4th June 2011, 08:04 PM
As an "oldie", you know what pisses me the most? That the games with the more credible floating feel (mostly tied to physics, I assume) are 2097/wip3out. I just cannot come to terms with the fact that completely outdated hardware by today's standards (33 MHz single core CPU and 2 MB of RAM) gave us believable floating ships and air brakes while today's PS3 (3.2 GHz multi-core CPU and 256 MB of RAM) seem to be only capable of a more crude "car without wheels" feeling.
I can only conclude two things:
1.- The engine programmer for those PS1 games was top class and that made more of a difference than mere raw power.
2.- The old games weren't afraid to let you screw up your race if you started bouncing too much or flew too high off-track just to be picked by the wuss-wagon.

New modes, I don't care if I don't like. For example I'm not a fan of Zone mode but I can simply not play it. It's the things that are integral to the whole game that bother me when not properly developed (physics affect all the modes, barrel rolls are almost a must in many parts of the game to be competitive).

Oh and to those that may think I'm merely conservative, I also believe that certain changes made the game better (absorbing beats pit-lanes any day) and I know the old games had their fair share of bullshit like flying through buildings or 2097's piranha glitch of gaining speed when braking on speed pads.

Dogg Thang
4th June 2011, 08:07 PM
Change isn't a problem in itself, Colin. But, like investment warnings, things can get worse as well as better and, as you say, what is there should be honed to perfection. If you're adding mode after mode to a game with problems, you get more problems, not a better game.

And maybe lack of change is part of the problem for me.

All games up to and including Pure felt like a different approach to Wipeout. Even Fusion, which I really didn't like, did its own thing. Since then, however, Pure has been the Wipeout template and things have been added or tweaked up, for better or worse, the games since then have built on Pure. I really enjoyed Pure. Not all of it - barrel rolls, the crazy combat (Citta Nouva blast-em-ups).

Loved Pulse too, in spite of bugs. It looked stunning for one thing, and had some fantastic tracks. But while it built slightly on the things I liked in Pure, it also kept those same things I didn't like in Pure. HD was more Pulse basically but seemed to take the combat to a new level, Fury even more so with more modes and tasks that really, for me, made it all much worse, not better.

Because the core, the thing that Wipeout once was - a racing game - no longer worked.

So change is not a bad thing. Change can be very good. I'd be very happy to think that a whole new approach was being taken, even if that risked a Fusion. But we haven't really had change since Pure.

Will this be a new game? Or baby steps in the same direction that the series has been going in since Pure? More modes will not make that better. Just more. Of course for those who love Fury (and loads do), more will be a great thing so what do I know? But it's not for me, unfortunately.

JABBERJAW
4th June 2011, 08:16 PM
"Wide tracks? Weapons? They're things that appeal to the casual market, and people that have played the game already who thought "wow, this is hard, but this new game sounds alright if I aren't crashing into the walls every few seconds"

Who the hell is crashing into the walls every few seconds in HD? noone who has played for more than 10 minutes.

If the game is just about blasting eachother because everyone can make it around the course easily, which is what it is being portrayed as, then this game will be ****, not wipeout. I'd rather play quake if I am playing a shooter.

If the game is not what the devs are saying, but a super enhanced HD, but not easier, I will like it

make the hard harder, and the easy easier, this is a good thing I think, but I don't think that is where 2048 is going, I think it is make everything easier. The hard harder btw did not apply to HD, that game is far easier than pure/pulse, because of riding the walls so easily. The ship controlled far better though.

Colin, I don't believe those numbers, because I remember wipeout 3 not selling hardly anything compared to the earlier games, unless everything I read was crap (which is possible). In the US, It must have sold incredibly little

amplificated
4th June 2011, 08:41 PM
Who the hell is crashing into the walls every few seconds in HD? noone who has played for more than 10 minutes.

Which I'm sure are a good part of the general audience SL are marketing to.

If the game is just about blasting eachother because everyone can make it around the course easily, which is what it is being portrayed as, then this game will be ****, not wipeout. I'd rather play quake if I am playing a shooter.

If, if, if. A portrayal made from 3 words (wide tracks, weapons) is not a lot to make wild accusations that don't fit with what is already known of the series over. You don't think you've gone too far out on a limb, from just those 3 words?

If the game is not what the devs are saying, but a super enhanced HD, but not easier, I will like it

I can't believe you aren't seeing this: you're admitting that you don't know what the game will be like, but you're still making claims that outright place the game as being terrible.

(1)make the hard harder, and the easy easier, this is a good thing I think, but I don't think that is where 2048 is going, I think it is make everything easier. (2) The hard harder btw did not apply to HD, that game is far easier than pure/pulse, because of riding the walls so easily. The ship controlled far better though.

1) You've come to a conclusion based on less than 1% of knowledge about the game?
2) I wouldn't know as I haven't played Pure or Pulse, but if you're playing against a good opponent in HD a single small mistake can cost you a race, especially in weapons off. Good SL or TT times with mistakes? I laugh.

leungbok
4th June 2011, 08:46 PM
make the hard harder, and the easy easier, this is a good thing I think, but I don't think that is where 2048 is going, I think it is make everything easier. The hard harder btw did not apply to HD, that game is far easier than pure/pulse, because of riding the walls so easily. The ship controlled far better though

I totally disagree with that !
HD is harder than pure/pulse, and i have enough good races on 3 games to talk in full knowledge of that fact !

But i like your idea of having modes for beginners and modes for hardcores !!
Eliminators for casuals and multiplayer TT for pilots !! :p

kanar
4th June 2011, 09:25 PM
lol leungbok, sadly jabberjaw didn't have time to crack 1000+ hours into HD (I'm sure he did it before on the previous episodes, so no offence there), otherwise he wouldn't say that. tbh i'm just starting to know how my fkn ica is working lol. but who's able to understand that... only the sickest wohd pilots ahah. ON TOPIC, i don't have a fkn clue about what they're trying to do wth this 2048, but as long as we can put our asot playlist and launch a good 'ol 60fps phantom speed lap session, i'm damn fine wth that.

leungbok
4th June 2011, 09:41 PM
tbh i'm just starting to know how my fkn ica is working lol. but who's able to understand that... only the sickest wohd pilots ahah
I understand what you're talking about, and it worries me a lot on the few remaining tracks where i'm still in front of you :cold
i support you 200% for your ON TOPIC also, lol

yeldar2097
4th June 2011, 10:00 PM
If the game is just about blasting eachother because everyone can make it around the course easily, which is what it is being portrayed as, then this game will be Blur without wheels, not wipeout.

Maybe everything's getting bigger (and maybe easier/more appealing whatever) because the hardcore players don't actually play the game properly any more. Nobody ever has or ever will approach WipEout HD (only one I know well enough to say so) properly, it's embarrassing that people think they do...it's no surprise everyone else is being catered for instead. That said, the past would lead me to have faith in SL so I'll remain optimistic, as should everyone else who knows their work. It's usually pretty good.

Oryx Crake
4th June 2011, 10:04 PM
Hd isnt easy its easy to get a general feel for the track yes but to be able to pull some of the stuff the likes of yeldar and leungbok do you have to spend 100s if not 1000s of hours into it. I wouldnt say Im one of the best in HD probably far from it in fact, but I consider myself good, and I've played HD for at least 600 hours all in all and many of the subtleties I have yet to even approach.

So if 2048 is anywhere close to as difficult as HD then that will be plenty.

blackwiggle
4th June 2011, 10:39 PM
And that whole "secret mission" is ridiculous - "Your seekrit mission is: Don't win!" That's a first in a racing game, I'll give them that... :lol

Oh and please put it out on disc for the PS3. I'll never trust Sony with my credit card again...

The "Secret Mission" is actually Campaign mode done differently.
It will be online for one thing, and it's obvious that the secret part will be that the choice of Track/Craft/Speed and game mode will dictate the challenges you are set, probably the amount of people in a race will have something to do with some of these challenges as well, maybe even weapons on/off and BR's might have some baring on the challenges.
There might even be team challenges, which I think would be cool.

I suspect that these Campaign Challenges will also be tied into hidden Trophies.

Sort of like HD/FURY's Badges.

How different this will be from the linear Campaign grid style we have had in all previous wipeouts remains to be seen.
I suppose it wouldn't take a genius to work out what a lot of these challenges will be by reading the trophy list before the game is released.

It's too easy to spoil a game before you get it by reading too much stuff on the net before you actually get to play it.

This sounds like SL's way of keeping some surprises hidden, which I personally welcome.
Or at least attempting to.

Medusa
5th June 2011, 01:58 AM
If a video game is named as though it were a prequel to a beloved franchise, and then release screenshots/video which shows it doesn't fit into the franchise at all...then how can you possibly think that there won't be criticism of a game called Wipeout 2048???? That title is a demand for greatness, and this is WipeoutZone. Oldest active wipeout fan forum on the www, is it not?

People are posting good and bad reactions to a game that's not out yet, based on information received from interviews, screenshots, etc.
Don't go flaming everybody who posts concerns or a negative reaction, simply because your reaction to the game is a good one. Where else exactly is there more knowledge of all the wipeout games other than at WipeoutZone? Most of the "old-timers" posts I noticed listed specific, clear-cut reasons why they were concerned. If you can't handle reading speculation and concern about wipeout games about to be released, maybe this isn't the place for you?

I had something to actually say about 2048...but it got lost in a schmozzle of disbelief at the catfighting going on in here. Oh right, I found out the release date, it is 37 years from now. ;)

JABBERJAW
5th June 2011, 02:04 AM
HD is harder than pure/pulse, and i have enough good races on 3 games to talk in full knowledge of that fact !

pure and pulse are far harder than hd to get a good full race time than HD, I have played these three games plenty to know this. I do not play single lap, ever, I don't care about it.
But full race times it is far harder to pull off 5 great laps on pure and pulse since hitting the wall actually slows you down.

Listen to what he said, paraphrasing here, tracks are going to be wider, and there is going to be alot more fighting and mixing it up.

That is what he said, this is disturbing. I hope it is as hard as HD, and I don't know every ****ing thing in the game, and neither do you, I am going by what he said, it is that simple. You are going by not caring what the game is going to be like, and completely ignoring the facts of what he said.

22.2 lap on chenghou rev running straight into that wall on the last turn, my normal good laps would be around 21.6 or so. Is .6 enough time loss when you run straight into a wall, and the ships goes backwards, and you have to start again? But you know, this isn't about HD, I like HD, especially now that my internet is better, but geez, you guys really want the game to be easier?

"I can't believe you aren't seeing this: you're admitting that you don't know what the game will be like, but you're still making claims that outright place the game as being terrible"

I didn't say the game was going to be terrible, read the posts. I said if it is like the DEVELOPERS SAY IT IS GOING TO BE(a weapons fest), it wil not be good. I am hoping it is not

What is it to you anyway, when people express their opinions, maybe the devs look and say, hey lots of people on the site over the last few years thought the weapons were too much, so maybe we can change them a bit, or add a different mode. You just decide to attack the people instead, nice. I just don't want the game to be a complete cakewalk, with the only thing mattering is weapons, and have no driving skill really involved

eLhabib
5th June 2011, 02:50 AM
absolutely agree with you, Medusa and Jabberjaw :+

Oryx Crake
5th June 2011, 04:27 AM
My problem with it all is that within 10 minutes of the screenshots showing up there is someone saying "this will be crap" "it's the end of the franchise" etc.
I don't so much mind people not being overjoyed at the way the franchise is going and what direction sl are taking it. what does get on my nerves is the way alot of the negative comments are worded, what it sounds like is: "oh no not another newb game the franchise has gone down the drain since WO3 and there's no skill left! it's so cheap they try to appeal to a broader public with cheap and stupid tricks". Now what that in essence means is that you are saying that, one: there's no point in playing new wipeout games any more and more importantly two: Anyone who likes where WO is going is a newbie or has no real skills. Granted this is my interpretation but I dare say I'm not the only one who feels a little slighted every time this discussion comes up.

Yes there is legitimate reason to ask why a prequel to the original doesn't look and handle much the same way but then we don't know what the game will be like yet and even if we did I see no reason to offend players who might like it that way if indeed the game will handle kind of like HD.

Or to put it another way I don't like the tone of the negative arguments. Especially because many of them are offensive to other members of the forum. You can be negative without being offensive.

I suppose I should state that I by no means pretend that I'm speaking for anyone else here, and I don't mean to generalise and say the every negative or cautious comment made here fits this description, there is legitimate grounds for concern and of course this is just how I feel.

F.E.I.S.A.R
5th June 2011, 05:45 AM
If there is a Zome mode in the new WipEout,I'll stick to my "fan wank"/fan theory that Zone was scrapped because it was not safe at speeds exceeding more than 700 km/h(The fastest Wip3out went was what,500+?) until Fusion or Pure.

leungbok
5th June 2011, 05:56 AM
pure and pulse are far harder than hd to get a good full race time than HD, I have played these three games plenty to know this. I do not play single lap, ever, I don't care about it.
But full race times it is far harder to pull off 5 great laps on pure and pulse since hitting the wall actually slows you down

Lol i already heard your argue saying something like "speedlaps are easy, TT are for the real men". Still condescension ! Believe me my TT are easier to beat than my speedlaps on pure, but in both cases that means you'll have to learn tons of unskilled BRs :lol

If you can't handle reading speculation and concern about wipeout games about to be released, maybe this isn't the place for you?

But what still attracts old timers, lovers of first wipeouts, here ? You can like it or not, stay on your positions and ignore the new games or adapt and enjoy the new games with (i hope) lot of new pilots, wipeout have changed ! And i don't think there will be a reversal ! Market rules and if wipeout wants to last, new players have to be attracted to the game, and that means also some tricks, new modes, helps to the driving... not exactly an easier game, but possibility to enjoy the game more easily, like SL did with pilot-assist or eliminator mode on HD. However i hope the next wipeout will continue to give sick hardcore fans (like Olivier says, lol) some challenge with, why not, TT online mode at zen speed (i dream lol) played by no-one except some fanatics like us ^_^. If we follow some opinions here fusion never had to be released and it's the best selling wipeout (i love it with all his defects) and maybe he saved the franchise ! :lol

mic-dk
5th June 2011, 06:38 AM
It's too easy to spoil a game before you get it by reading too much stuff on the net before you actually get to play it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still above 50% positive about the announcement, but doesn't it strike you as odd to give out a prize for not winning a race? In a "racing game"? IMO, it gives a good indication on where the focus of the game is and sadly it's not about winning races.

In that respect HD got it right with most of them. The trophies connected to game kinda forced you to improve on different aspects of the game and they became a sort of goalpost for your skills. Not just some random Bling Brigade... Oh wait... :p

I'll admit I never quite got the point of the badges. Were they solely invented to taunt me with the Fastest Lap badge?

infoxicated
5th June 2011, 10:24 AM
End of the day if I want to listen to Alice in Chains first Album, I still can even when the 5th album has been released. Depends on the moodBut would you even buy that 5th album if Alice in Chains released a triple disc set of S-Club 7, Britney Spears, and Justin Bieber covers?

Would you feel that Alice in Chains were going "back to their roots" and "giving the fans more" by releasing said triple disc set of covers? Or would you feel that Alice in Chains had merely thrown together a mashup of what has been popular the last ten years in the hope of selling to a greater share of the mass market?

Given that scenario it would also be plenty easy to say that the first album is there to listen to if you feel like it, but I believe you'd have every right to feel like the band had sold out and betrayed its fan base in order to cash in.

Colin Berry
5th June 2011, 01:23 PM
Rob, I'd probably listen to it first before deciding, I might be pleasantly surprised (SClub and Britney had some decent songs :p )
I think the key thing is more information so far there is so little to go on, a few screen shots, a video comprising mostly of HD footage showing the NGP/PS3 link up with only a few seconds of new NGP tracks.

I can understand people who dislike BRs being disappointed they are in the game. If you dont like them you dont like them, the dislike is not made on assumption but on the experience so I appreciate people who are disappointed with that aspect. More information wont change that, fair enough. I get that.

But other things are soundbites so far and I think reacting to a 3second sound bite and deciding its all doom and gloom is maybe premature. But then I dont think soundbites are a good measure, I mean we never really made peoples eyes bleed.

@Jabberjaw, Be wary of sales firgures on the internet they are often based on bad info (example VGchartz has Pulse on the PS2 as 0.37mil sales I am 99.9% certain this is wrong as the initial manufacturing run was nowhere near that) when I saw the internal figures I was surprised, but had no reason to argue. You are correct WO3 didnt sell brilliantly but combined with SE it did well - that is how they were usually broken down internally as one 'thing' WO3+SE, sorry for not making that clear in my original post.

JABBERJAW
5th June 2011, 01:43 PM
Lol i already heard your argue saying something like "speedlaps are easy, TT are for the real men". Still condescension ! Believe me my TT are easier to beat than my speedlaps on pure, but in both cases that means you'll have to learn tons of unskilled BRs

give me a quote from me "speedlaps are easy", at least back up your argument. I said a persons best speedlap to get is easier than beating a full tt time.you need to focus for a longer time.

give me a quote from me, "tt are for real men". I never said that, I just don't like speedlaps, as it doesn't really help me in race mode. Also, I watch alot of your speed laps, an especially liked vineta K in pure.

I do remember saying barrel rolling was slower around that big C turn on chenghou foward, and stand by that. After the tourney I'll post a video of both. I wanted to post some wipeout videos for a while now anyway.

Give me quote from ME, "barrel rolls are unskilled". I have heard others say this, but not me. I have even said I like barrel rolls in the last three games, but would not like it with the old physics. I said if I had a choice, I would choose old school over new school with brs.

Please answer the two following questions, since they have been posed before, and ignored.

This is ridiculous. I take a QUOTE FROM THE DEVELOPERS, and say, if the games turns out to be like this qoute, I will not like it (wider tracks, weapons fest). If it does not turn out how the DEVS SAY IT WILL, and is still like HD, I WILL LIKE IT. How is this flaming at all? please answer this, WITH QUOTED FROM ME PLEASE. Stop taking what I said out of context

ANSWER this question as well. If the game turns out to be a wide track, weapons fest all the time, are you going to like it?

leungbok
5th June 2011, 02:10 PM
give me a quote from me "speedlaps are easy", at least back up your argument. I said a persons best speedlap to get is easier than beating a full tt time.you need to focus for a longer time.

give me a quote from me, "tt are for real men". I never said that, I just don't like speedlaps, as it doesn't really help me in race mode. Also, I watch alot of your speed laps, an especially liked vineta K in pure
I don't know exactly where to find that old post of you, but you wanted to know more about some timetrial records on pulse (outpost i think and kandang's time), it was about jaytech or manual pitch if i remember well, huntergreg8 did the job. I answered you saying that i could do a try and you told something like "everyone can do a speedlap, i prefer to see a timetrial" not exactly the words but the spirit is that.
ANSWER this question as well. If the game turns out to be a wide track, weapons fest all the time, are you going to like it?
Wide tracks can also means more precise lines to achieve fast races, we'll know when the game will be released. Also the exact handling and speed will reveal if it's a good choice, i look at some XL videos recently and i find the track easier to race than on fusion/pure/pulse/HD, the difficulty came from the hard control of the ship, but in matter of difficulty citta nuova, outpost, platinum or gemini dam are the worst tracks since the first wipeout IMO. More powerfull weapons don't makes me happy, but the most annoying thing on HD, more than the powerfull weapons is the random system, when you heard the voice saying "quake" twice and you pick up mines or cannons...if the weapon pad is full when you hit it. If i have to choose between less powerfull weapons or possibility of offensive/defensive tactics with powerfull weapons on pads that ALWAYS GIVE SOMETHING, i choose the 2nd option ! saying that i also hope game modes based more on piloting than weapons.

Also about chengou (fwd) i improved my laptime (25.34 not filmed unfortunately) on pure using that triple BR on the left hander, from my experience it's easier to take advantage of it on pure on phantom because the slower speed helps to have a better control of your line while you BR here ! However it's fun to do on HD too even if it's not the fastest ;)

JABBERJAW
5th June 2011, 02:45 PM
I did say it like that regarding the speed lap, I remember that. I wanted a tt instead of a speedlap because it plays differently, and I wanted to see the lap times in a real race, not with a running turbo/barrel roll start. A SL best time is faster than a good tt lap. I wanted to see how they got the full time they were racing, and someone showing me a SL wasn't really going to show anything that would be comparable to a normal tt lap/full race. You play SL so much, I believe it is harder for you to beat your record, but for someone who plays tt all the time, it is harder for them to beat that record than a SL. Regarding HD vs pure/pulse, now that I am thinking about our posts. I think SL IS harder in HD than pure/pulse, because of all the places you can actually do the br with the bounciness of the ship, and then adding in a turbo at the right spot, and getting the right turbo/br at the end of the previous lap. Pure/PUlse are not so crazy as that for sure. However for TT, which is what I play alot, I think Pure is certainly the hardest (energy levels deplete), then pulse (slow down way more on wall hits) then HD. The same would be for race mode, YOu slow down most on wall hits for pure, then pulse, then hd you don't slow down much at all (you saw my lap post on cheng rev with the 22.2 with a full head on hit and stop, the time would be much slower hitting head on in pure/pulse, even scraping slows you down far more.

Thanks for answering the quetion with the weapons, I was going by what they said, and I hope it is not more weapons based, and less turns

"but in matter of difficulty citta nuova, outpost, platinum or gemini dam are the worst tracks since the first wipeout "

Well, I won't agree with this though. Try spilskinanke, and tell me how long it takes you to get a perfect race with an Auricom, Then try the same with Piranha. There is more to the tracks than just the looks of the track. Those up/downs cause significant slowdown if not done right with pitch constantly. I cannot explain without having you run through them to see, on phantom speed. The bumps are really significant on some tracks if you try to just race flat

Mad-Ice
5th June 2011, 06:47 PM
First of all: I am very happy with the news that we will really get a new Wipeout title. There was a point in time where I had some doubts, very small doubts, but they were there, that we would not get any new Wipeout for some years.

I am sure to play it no matter what, man if HD/FURY will run on NGP too, I might even get some TTs again too, to try and break my own records. PS3 is so much fun on the big screen and all, but time is short for me to be able to game on the big screen. So a new Wipeout on a new portable is the best news for me upto now.

Secondly: I can really understand why some of us are very disappointed with the news. The title 2048 is asking for a retro style: remember the first flight of NX-01 in the desert? There were no tracks yet for the AG-ships. It should be racing orientated.

But we still are not having enough info on the game. Maybe, the tracks are wide yes, but the speedpads are on the perfect racing line very close to the wallsides of the chicanes. Maybe BarrelRolls are only in Single Race and Speed Lap and Time Trial is without BarrelRolls, maybe the best way to satisfy everyone? In SR; weapons and energy will not allow you to BR everywhere it's possible. In SL; you can go crazy with BRs everywhere and in TT; you can go for the fastest race with lines and not searching outside the raceline for mini bumps to BR. What do you think?

Waiting for more news and vids of game play. Greetz Mad-Ice

stin
5th June 2011, 07:47 PM
You know what I think?, I think, 2048 is just a wrong year for a time frame over back stories which I love reading to these guys who wrote as foxy, challenger and so on and Barrel Rolls, that is my problem.:paperbag

But, you know me, I will buy this game and not the console but again I will get it eventually.

leungbok
5th June 2011, 09:32 PM
Well, I won't agree with this though. Try spilskinanke, and tell me how long it takes you to get a perfect race with an Auricom, Then try the same with Piranha
i don't speak about difficulty to race a track here, i talk about track design, turns on spilskinanke are less sharp than HD ubermal's chicane, or v-turn on outpost or tech de ra's chicanes, there's lot of examples. The easier handling of pulse and HD allows to race those tracks with good speed result. With 2097/XL's handling, those tracks would be unplayable.
For me old wipeouts have longer tracks with longer turns, the difficulty comes from the handling, pitch, speed, response time... recent wipeouts pulse/HD have shorter tracks with sharp and brutal turns, the ships are easier to control.
Good times are equally difficult to reach on old and recent wipeouts IMO.

JABBERJAW
6th June 2011, 12:09 AM
I disagree, the turns in xl are harder imo. The tracks in HD would easily be playable with xl ships, they are wide as heck, and generally give you a nice straightaway before setting up, but we are not going to agree on this. Although I think with an hd ship, xl would be easier for sure with the sideshift. Xl has more quick left to rights and right back the other way, that is what is hard about it. We are not going to agree on this, unless Gare deuropa is put into wipeout 2048 with the same width, then we could see :) (hint) NOne of the hard tracks from the earlier game were put into pure, just the easy ones, oh well.

Dogg Thang
6th June 2011, 07:42 AM
And even then it wouldn't really answer the question if done like the classic tracks in Pure, which were at a different scale and had somewhat modified turns in places. Wouldn't give you a direct comparison.

Eden Priest
6th June 2011, 08:36 AM
id like to say that 2048 sounds like a great idea in concept i just hope they can keep the track design true to form as with the xl an HD the two might play off each other well and if you get a chance try the almost never heard of WO64 fast simple fun
thank you for your time

leungbok
6th June 2011, 08:55 AM
And even then it wouldn't really answer the question if done like the classic tracks in Pure
True ! That's why i didn't mentioned pure ;)
Maybe we'll see some new selection of "classics" on 2048 (maybe unfinished versions of some legendary wipeout & XL tracks with, why not, pit lanes closed and under construction, which could gives the game's name some sense). However i'm not very optimistic with only 10 tracks !

Boycey83
6th June 2011, 11:44 AM
How can anyone keep a straight face and say that Wipeout HD isn't hard? It's one of the hardest games I've ever played.

The 8 race phantom tournament at the end of the elite campaign is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in any game. And then there is Beat Zico & Zone Zeus to contend with too.

If Wipeout HD isn't hard, then my entire perception of difficulty has been shattered. Not only is it hard, it's controller breakingly hard.

Note: I have never broken a controller playing Wipeout yet.

Chet_BG
6th June 2011, 12:05 PM
@Boycey83: it's not hard at all if you take your time to learn the game. When I play the campaign at the moment I win with 6-7 seconds. And I barely finished it the first time I played it. Chenghou almost got me to quit...
The game isn't hard, it just takes time to learn. I'm sure everyone here struggled at first to win even on Novice.
Winning in online against the pros is hard. But the campaign is not ;)

MrSmadSmartAlex
6th June 2011, 12:06 PM
You could get the first Wipeout from the PSN (or get any of the PS1 games on disc), if you want to decide for yourself. It's in the PS One Classics section. ;)

JABBERJAW
6th June 2011, 12:24 PM
noone said it is not hard. I am talking about driving difficulty for the control inputs you have, and staying off the wall, or steering difficulty. In that sense, it is not as hard as earlier games. Difficulty to beat, that is hard definitely at times, harder than Xl to beat, because the ships didn't put up a weapons fight like they do now. They were also on a predetermined race pattern (which is much better now)

Dogg Thang
6th June 2011, 12:26 PM
Well that's exactly it. The difficulty in the originals came from mastering the tracks. The difficulty in the current WO games is getting hammered with every weapon ever as you approach the finish line.

Boycey83
6th June 2011, 12:38 PM
@Boycey83: it's not hard at all if you take your time to learn the game. When I play the campaign at the moment I win with 6-7 seconds.

Yeah I took the time to learn it, but even with 80 hours playtime logged I can't win everytime on Phantom/Elite. If you have to take your time to learn the game and get good at it, then I'm pretty confident that we can say that is a good indicator of the game's difficulty?

And I barely finished it the first time I played it. Chenghou almost got me to quit...

I certainly agree with you there. Could that be because it's rock solid perhaps? haha :P

Chenghou and Sebenco Climb were the two that took me a long time to master and now I'm pretty decent at both (if I say so myself). But it took a long time to get there, which is surely a sign of a challenging and steep difficulty curve.

The difficulty in the originals came from mastering the tracks. The difficulty in the current WO games is getting hammered with every weapon ever as you approach the finish line.

I agree that this is a problem. When trying to win some of the Elite events it often feels like you only have a 50% chance of doing so, even if you don't make any mistakes yourself.

Chet_BG
6th June 2011, 01:10 PM
Well, yeah, maybe you can say it's hard if you look at it that way. But when I was taking my time to finish the campaign first on Novice and then on Elite, only Chenghou and Sol 2 gave me difficulties. Except those two races I haven't felt anything hard. That's what I mean.
Sebenco doesn't seem hard to me. I don't know why. You just have to learn the racing line and then it's all hard turns. Sol and Chenghou have more difficult turns where you have to be very precise and make them harder.
But we've gotten way offtopic I think xD

Sch@dows
6th June 2011, 01:25 PM
AS Colin said, track width isn't the only difficulty factor.
I hope the AI will be challenging, without being as cheated as HD (seeing a Qirex ship pass your Icaras on a straightaway ... is my AG engine having troubles ?).

As I said in another thread, I don't really like the retro style of 2048.
My best WipEout was 2097, and maybe in 2nd place Pure. I like the futurist style and all.
If it has to get dropped, I'd rather had a completely new style, like a mix of offroad / track races, where riding height (controlled with the pitch) would need to be monitored !

RJ O'Connell
6th June 2011, 01:58 PM
we're about half a day from Sony's E3 presser, stay up late and watch for Wipeout 2048 (hey, that rhymed)

My guess is during the show we'll see about thirty or forty seconds of footage spliced in the NGP montages. If a trailer is shown, or they demo the game on stage, my jaw will hit the floor.

Chet_BG
6th June 2011, 03:29 PM
Is anyone watching E3 in PlayStation Home? Let's get together and watch it :)

Darkdrium777
6th June 2011, 03:52 PM
If a trailer is shown, or they demo the game on stage, my jaw will hit the floor.Lol yeah that would be pretty strange, considering how it was luxurious to get more than five seconds of WipEout HD footage before.
But I do hope for some real gameplay soon. Perhaps this would help calm my worries about the tracks being too wide. I hope it does, I don't want WipEout to take more hints than it needs off F-Zero.

RJ O'Connell
6th June 2011, 08:26 PM
After seeing NFS: The Runs, even if Wipeout 2048 is a sacreligious BR fest, it's still better than whatever that **** was I saw on stage at EA's show.

So, that's something to look up to, I guess.

mdhay
6th June 2011, 08:27 PM
I'm looking forward to getting my paws on this and destrying what's left of my social life. :D

kaori
6th June 2011, 09:40 PM
They are some conflicting infos in this article.

WipEout 2048 (working title)
Get ready to experience WipEout 2048 on NGP, a white-knuckle, anti-grav combat racer that features exclusive NGP tracks, races and game modes. WipEout 2048 also features a huge roster of music tracks from top artists as well as remixes of iconic WipEout anthems.
You'll have to utilize a range of NGP features including accelerating with the rear touch pad and activating weapons with the microphone. There is also an addictive online campaign mode where you're tasked with battling your way through objective-based games with your friends.
"In WipEout 2048 we can have a mix of up to eight people racing each other using either their NGP or PlayStation 3 thanks to the fantastic cross-compatibility function."
Dr Stuart Lovegrove, Technical Director, Liverpool Studio

http://uk.playstation.com/home/news/articles/detail/item377008/Games-to-look-forward-to-on-NGP/

Slacker
6th June 2011, 10:06 PM
@Kaori: that must mean the NGP version will have more content than the PS3 version. Makes sense, you want people to buy it.

But that part didn't stick out, this did:

WipEout 2048 also features a huge roster of music tracks from top artists as well as remixes of iconic WipEout anthems.

:hyper:hyper:hyper

Sausehuhn
6th June 2011, 10:19 PM
Bring back Firestarter and Xpander, please ;)

EDIT:
Looks like we’re getting new game details pretty soon (http://twitter.com/#!/wipEout2048/status/77876069268598784) :)

Darkdrium777
6th June 2011, 11:37 PM
Tune in (http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/sony-e3/?tag=content_nav%3Bvideo%3Bsony)

I think for the first time in years that I've watched we will have more WipEout featured in the conference itself.

Sch@dows
6th June 2011, 11:45 PM
As I first though after seeing the pr movie, 2048 seems to be only one mode of the "new" game. The game (let's call it trinity ?) might include HD, Fury and 2048, and in that case, cross compatibility only apply to the HD/Fury part.

It is not unsual. A lot of games with DLC still allow player to play together on part they both have.

Slacker
7th June 2011, 01:54 AM
Just saw ten seconds of WO2048. Looked sharp, to say the least! :nod

It showed a BR, some accelerometer control for steering and a few weapons being launched. Shape of the ships looks really nice.

Darkdrium777
7th June 2011, 01:56 AM
HAHA. Still nothing.
Well okay. They said the name WipEout 2048 and showed 3 seconds of gameplay in another sizzle video.

Sigh.
At least it looks pretty good, but the tracks are indeed significantly wider and less bumpy. However turns remain what they seem to be now.

Idk really, we require more footage than what SCEA gives.

Sausehuhn
7th June 2011, 01:57 AM
At least, WO2048 got mentioned and there were three seconds of video ;)

Darkdrium777
7th June 2011, 02:01 AM
Pff, please. SCEA keeps saying how WipEout is great and respected as a franchise, but every year they only mention the name.
I don't know, if you really respect it, you gotta show more.

IMO.

RJ O'Connell
7th June 2011, 02:32 AM
I doubt we'll be hearing a remix of Xpander, but I'll gladly take an awesome remix of Cold Comfort

Feisar31
7th June 2011, 03:50 AM
Official E3 trailer for WipEout 2048:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPBoKx4AeH0

Darkdrium777
7th June 2011, 04:03 AM
Wow the design is even better than I expected. It looks really nice.
Also the graphics are superb.

I'm a bit sad about the tracks looking simpler to navigate, but eh.

The rest is really exciting. Hints at a story mode? I like that, I hope there is one. No point in making a prequel if you're not gonna reference a certain timeline in there somewhere right?

blackwiggle
7th June 2011, 05:09 AM
From what I saw it's got elements of a at least 3 previous WO's in it.

I see the price for the NGP or VITA has just been confirmed as well, around $100 less than originally earmarked.
http://technabob.com/blog/2011/06/06/playstation-vita-price-release-date-and-specs/

Eden Priest
7th June 2011, 05:26 AM
thanks blackwiggle for the link, i have been trying to figuer out more information on the ngp and now i cant wait. Would you guys buy one? and i cant wait to try WO 2048 practice makes perfect and its a whole new game relese, its kind of a step. i just dont know how the tracks will be sence the magtrack tech wasnt invented yet.

mic-dk
7th June 2011, 05:26 AM
That Feisar looks like the Furymau from the front, but other than that, I like the look of the ship and especially the new tracks. Dirt track ftw :p

Here's hoping the new tracks, both racing- and musical-, will be available on the PS3.

redcheckers
7th June 2011, 06:00 AM
The width of the tracks are drastically wider. Imagine what this is going to do to the difficulty curve.

blackwiggle
7th June 2011, 06:16 AM
Looks similar to Wipeout Fusion in more than a few parts of that video.

As for the NGP/VITA is seems that a lot of the specs have been generalized and are incomplete, as in not being like the specs seen for other Sony products were you to visit their site.

The only thing I want to know about the NGP/VITA is, what is it's video output if you want to hook it up to a outboard screen, and can you link/use whatever a PS3 controller to the unit.

I can't seem to find an answer to either of these questions.

If 2048 is only going to be playable on the NGP/VITA, then I need both of the above to work, otherwise it looks like I'm not going to playing 2048.

leungbok
7th June 2011, 07:15 AM
I'm a bit sad about the tracks looking simpler to navigate, but eh

Yeah, but you know, the players on all those wipeout trailer's videos are usually showing easy parts of tracks at venom ! A ship bouncing on difficult chicanes wouldn't make a good trailer (except for us) :p

I guess yellow pads are for offensive items and green for defensive ones.

Brother Laz
7th June 2011, 07:57 AM
Graphical style aside, the world looks nothing like the original Wipeout.

The first few Wipeout games had a very distinct style. WO1 had what appeared to be Atomic Age space optimism transplanted into a modern world - undisturbed natural landscapes, tracks made out of 'artificial crystal', the space needle on Altima, and the corny space walk ads. WO2097's Blade Runner aesthetic actually already looks dated, but zeerust is cool in and of itself, which is why movies like Sky Captain get made. WO3 was iPod clean before the iPod.

From then on, the series descended into generic futuristic environments. Fusion was basically Star Wars Podracer and the PSP games might as well have been a Ridge Racer spinoff, reaching a stupid climax in the mp3 visualiser tracks in zone mode because lololol we played Audiosurf.

Sausehuhn
7th June 2011, 08:04 AM
Looks similar to Wipeout Fusion in more than a few parts of that video.

I’m really interested how they implemeted those Fusion-like aspects. People seemed not to be pleased with those open areas (though, personally, I like them), but maybe that’s only because in Fusion there were objects on those areas that you could easily crash into and thus ruin the race (and the fun!). Actually, Fusion had a few really good details that Pure and the following games benefited from.

There also seems to be a cross-way on the track like in the tunnels of Vohl Square 3 :)

The style of the video’s intro looks a bit like Blade Runner and reminded me a bit of WO2097 – I liked that. I hope that there are indeed tracks that go in that art direction, too. After all, we didn’t see that many tracks just yet.

Ah, and regarding the PSV price tag: I still cannot understand how 250$ equals 250€. Okay, okay, in the US there may be taxes added on top of that price, but still. Even if I add 20% (!) of taxes on top of that 250$ it’s still around 45€ more expensive in the EU.
(Compare: [as of today] 250$ equals around 170€, 300$ equals around 205€)

Sch@dows
7th June 2011, 08:34 AM
A bit of off-road races ... I hope it will be more challenging than Fusion.
Controlling the pitch and height should be the key, but since we're at the early ages of wipeout ...

edit : As for the price, USD has always been equal to EURO these years. The US prices are indeed without taxes whereas european prices are "all taxes included", but since they can't adapt the US / Euro / Asian price depending of the value of each money, I suppose they stick with something easy to remember. I would also like to see a PSV cheaper.
I will check if getting a US PSV (through a trustworthy site like amazon for example) can still be interesting with shipping cost the day it will be released.

edit 2 : a little simulation on amazon.com (us). PSVita (Wifi) is at 274,97 USD with shipping to France which is around 189 EUR at current exchange rates. Even if the package got caught at the customs, it ill still be cheaper than buying it in Europe (around 235 eur).

Rotational_aspect
7th June 2011, 08:40 AM
Before I go any further, I will be buying this only because I want some more WO racing action-(looking at the video) I like the bragging features and the way PS3 and PSV link but:

GAAAH!!!! What is happening to artistsic design and creative thinking these days? The 2048 trailer just showcases how lazy the art is in this game- generic, bland.... I suppose after a while I will just tune it out, but its a missed opportunity. The overall look is also muddled- its like a collision of TDR and Good Technology (in a bad way).

Why couldnt they actually THINK about how the ship designs would evolve? Looking at the trailer the ships look almost Fury like. I would at least (if I was doing the art design) think of the evolution of something like F1 cars, and draw from that.

But oh well...

KGB
7th June 2011, 08:53 AM
Looks like those clips are all from the same track from New York, and a guess would be that it is the easiest track in the game, not sure i like the grass tracking though, is it Central Park?

I'm getting the feeling that it won't be out on PS3 at all, but will give the opportunity to PSV owners to either download HD/FURY or it will come with it.

The price is OK, I can't remember now but it seems a lot cheaper than the PSP, how much was that?

Loved the intro to the trailer, lots of rain and atmospheric to boot. If it develops along those lines I'll be happy,

Sch@dows
7th June 2011, 09:01 AM
PSP was also 250 $/€ at launch which was very criticized. But now it's ok because 3DS too ^__^

Sausehuhn
7th June 2011, 09:14 AM
Because the 3DS is 250€ the PSV should have a lower price tag.

subtotal
7th June 2011, 09:51 AM
what is worrying me is that cross play is only showing Vineta K

has it been confirmed that 2048 is coming to the PS3 ????

Chet_BG
7th June 2011, 09:52 AM
has it been confirmed that 2048 is coming to the PS3 ????
No. And it looks like it won't. Probably there will be HD+Fury included and you will be able to play it with PS3... :(

Sch@dows
7th June 2011, 10:01 AM
Because the 3DS is 250€ the PSV should have a lower price tag.
Why ? the only thing 3DS has for itself is the 3D, and frankly, i'm very disappointed in it (despite being a 3D fan). A lot of glittering, and almost incompatible with gyroscope because if you move the console too much you're leaving the field of 3D vision. Not to mention that its power and graphics are just over the 1st PSP, and it's autonomy is ridiculous.
It should be the 3DS that should be cheaper.
I imagine it will be harder to push casual gamers who bought a PSP when they don't usually buy video games, to invest in a new console with only better graphic for itself.

The PSP gets a lot of technologies, of course enhanced graphics (thanks to a powerfull CPU/GPU), large OLED screen, the rear touchpad (L2/R2 at last !!!). I don't count the gyro since both console has it.

We don't know the autonomy yet, and that's one thing I'm still afraid of.

WolfKill01
7th June 2011, 11:45 AM
Idk if it's already been posted but check this out; brand new trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87C7oyH2zCo

Personally, I have high hopes for this game :). I like the design direction they've taken but it'll all depend on the gameplay mechanics in the long run. And we just won't know how well it'll feel until we get our hands on the game.

JABBERJAW
7th June 2011, 12:22 PM
I thought it looked very good, but am still worried about the turns, and dammit, show some fast video footage, phantom speed man! Every time they show a wipeout, it is always on venom/vector. IF they were to put in some classic tracks, we would definitely see some turns. Also, add some bumps

eLhabib
7th June 2011, 12:23 PM
oh jeez. after this new trailer I'm even less optimistic from a visual standpoint. Ship design is rather ok I guess, but the tracks? ugh. And the game logo itself is HORRIBLE. Did they throw out all the talented graphic designers?!
This might turn out to be a good game, but it will never be wipEout. :(

leungbok
7th June 2011, 12:26 PM
Every time they show a wipeout, it is always on venom/vector
Lol, exactly ! Maybe a visitor or videogame journalist will upload some footage of a full race, but don't expect faster than flash ! :D

Sch@dows
7th June 2011, 12:44 PM
It seems visitors are not authorized to shoot when speed dating with the PSVita (4 games, 4 min per game than go to the next console).

Where is the HUD ???

i like the augmented reality features n__n

RJ O'Connell
7th June 2011, 12:50 PM
Again, the tracks don't look as wide to me as people are suggesting they do. Do I need my eyes checked or something?

Off-roading was a surprise, but nothing really jaw-dropping in that trailer as far as new reveals. I'll be loading up some questions for @wipEout2048, if anyone has anything they want asked, say it.

Brother Laz: Audio bars in Zone mode were one of my favorite things about WOHD...

Roz
7th June 2011, 01:27 PM
If you need your eyes cheked then so do I, because I don't see super wide tracks. I see some thiner sections and some wider sectons, as we always had. The glass/transparent high up in the air portion of one of the tracks reminds me of Arc Prime actually.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about the story/lore aspect of it. Who will be the teams besides the usual bunch? How will they justify Chenghou Project?

Sch@dows
7th June 2011, 01:47 PM
In the trailer (didn't double-checked the ps blog video but there wasn't much of 2048 tracks), there is always at least 3 lanes plus some space until the rails. The narrower section would be the off-road section, but still wide and never I seen sharp turn.

Also, Graham from Studio Liverpool said himself during de PSBlog interview (at 2'00") that "the tracks are wider giving the opportunity to have more agressive - ship to ship races, and a lot more of dogfighting [...] with a lot more focus on weapons".
That specific aspect make me fear a global evolution toward titles like "F-Zero". Sincec the game has been shown very much, I hope it is wrong to think like this.

Roz
7th June 2011, 01:58 PM
We have yet to see the full tracks before saying that we don't have sharp corners. Having wider tracks does not necessarily mean that they are wider from start to finish. Thinking back, Pure had the 4 Delta tracks, which where wider than most of the tracks of the game but still fun. Anulpha even made it to HD, and that wide section is not that wide when you realise you have to catch the turbos. Also, I don't consider Ubermall to be thin at all, yet it's one hell of a circuit and not easy at all (shortcuts).

Lets wait and see the final product before judging folks.

leungbok
7th June 2011, 02:57 PM
few seconds of gameplay on 2048 at 1.25 ;)
http://www.wat.tv/video/playstation-vita-e3-2011-trailer-3s86n_2ey33_.html

tomv93
7th June 2011, 03:01 PM
Hey Guys in this video they show some city gameplay of Wipeout 2048
(probably New York City)
The tracks don't look that wide

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-wipeout-2048/715069

Sch@dows
7th June 2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks leungbok, at least we have visual confirmation of barrel rolls in 2048 mode.

tomv93 > I get a "File not Found" with your link.

tomv93
7th June 2011, 03:14 PM
Huh thats weird
then if you still want to see it head over to www.gametrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com)
and scroll down until you see the video

Chet_BG
7th June 2011, 03:14 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-wipeout-2048/715069
I hope this is the easiest track lol

Roz
7th June 2011, 03:25 PM
Truth be told, that was some boring footage. Slow speeds and straight lines, not exactly hype material. Show me Phantom and crazy corners/sections please.

WolfKill01
7th June 2011, 03:28 PM
I'll be honest, the physics kinda remind me of the original wipeout. Just they way it slides around seems...familiar. But the mag-lock feature is kinda dissappointing. We just need some super technical circuits and I'll be supper hyped :hyper. I think the reason most people are having serious doubts about the game and it's design choices is because they aren't really thinking about it in the way it should. This is pre f3600 so there's naturally not going to be very many circuits made for this new type of racing, which is why they're racing on (and off) roads. I'm completely excitied about this new game. It's the cost that's going to frighten me. :/

tomv93
7th June 2011, 03:30 PM
@Roz and @Chet BG
thats true, I hope there will be some more challenging tracks than that one
also what I don't get is why the ships look so "modern"

Edit:
I'm still looking forward to playing the game though
We will just have to wait and see how the game turns out to be

leungbok
7th June 2011, 03:36 PM
Let's stay confident guys ! They usualy don't show the hardest tracks for the first videos. It seems to be the track available to test the game ! I'll have to find dozen of BRs on that track to make it interesting ! :lol

Medusa
7th June 2011, 03:37 PM
This doesn't look like it's set in 2048 to me. What can I say?

The game itself looks awesome, looks like HD with different ships and new tracks. Gameplay-wise it looks like the wipeout most people are familiar with now.

The intro fits right in with WipEout visual style and not-too-overt futurism (given that it's supposed be in only 37 years). But when it switches from the intro to the gameplay, the gameplay doesn't fit, it's sparkling new, pristine, and most of all, it's set in a city!

That's my beef. The name. You can't tell people who are familiar with the WipEout storyline that this is the "beginning of it all".

There's still plenty of time for them to change the name though, right? :lol

I fired up the original WipEout for a bit last night, to absorb the style, handling, ships, etc. It's not fair to say 2048 is a great name unless you go back, look at the F3600, and then compare it to the gameplay footage shown of 2048.
No one, especially not the designers of the game, can tell anybody that the F3600 was born out of 2048's racing. There's no way they would have made the ships bouncier, harder to control...

It's not logical!

I'm not saying I dislike 2048, I'm not "hating on the game" or whatever you might want to call it. I'm saying naming it 2048 is absolute balls and BS.
But that's okay, we'll just take it since we don't have a choice.

Sch@dows
7th June 2011, 03:46 PM
I think the site is just overloaded. Even browsing the pages ais a pain.
The Nintendo conference is in 15min, so a lot a people might be connected to the live feed in order to see project café

swift killer
7th June 2011, 03:51 PM
Im guessing this is in the early stages as there appears to be only ONE ship, this as we know is obviously not the case as there were 4 original teams, im guessing there will be a few new ones thrown in, if not, then probably early forms of other teams.

However, there is one very big flaw that i just noticed, and its in relation to the story of the game, that flaw being continuity, at this point many of you will be think "what?!!" or "oh god, swift killers at it again", let me explain what i mean by this. As we know, the game is set in 2048, four years after the first AG race as said in the games chronological storyline and it is two years before the first game. So here we go:

1 ) Weapons : they're not introduced until 2085 and alot of the games weapons don't appear until alot later in the game, especially in the visual forms shown in the trailer.

2 ) Ships : as we know in the first game ever, we had Feisar, AG-SYS, Auricom and Qirex. Now there is no way in my view that they can include Piranha, Goteki, Assegai, Icaras, EG.X, Harimau, Triakis, etc. as they don't come about for another 50-150 years. However it does open up the possibility of having ever more teams as you can have early incarnations of all teams, as well as bringing back Van-Uber, G-Tech, Tigron, Xios and EG.R.

3 ) Tracks : now I think a few of you may have noticed, the track that is on display here looks MORE futuristic then WipEout HD, this doesn't make any sense to me at all, there is also what looks like an upside-down section too, which again makes no sense in relation to the first WipEout game and the one prior to this one.

From a storyline perspective it makes very little sense and doesn't appear to fall into place in a logical way.

Medusa
7th June 2011, 03:54 PM
There's no way to argue with you, swift killer, what you speak is truth.

I have to say, I liked the green mines in the gameplay video!

leungbok
7th June 2011, 03:59 PM
Something that dislike me on the video is the item pad empty (still with a delay before restocking) ! If there's a more strategic weapon system, it can be totally killed if the ships in front picks all the items ! :(