PDA

View Full Version : Developing W'O game - Suggestions/comments

feisar rocket
12th May 2011, 09:53 PM
Yo, ever had some ideas W'O should have? POST--IT--HERE! Some suggestions may be used in making our game. Wanna help? Great! Check out 'Let's make a wipeout game, this time for real' right here, under W'O future! You can also give tips or tell us a great game to base it on! All righty then, let's get to it!

slow-train
13th May 2011, 06:08 PM
for starters you need to get rid of weapons like quake! they take absolutely no skill to use n slow everybody down,total noob weapon,i absorb them most of the time cause they are just nasty!!! get rid of pilot assist,at least for online gameplay! n most of all,make it glitch free;)

feisar rocket
14th May 2011, 01:17 AM
...get rid of quake...get rid of pilot assist...make it glitch free1. We don't even have quake seted up so IDK about that.
2. Pilot Assist may not be used.
3. Glitches might be hard to get rid of you know? It may be glitch-y but updates will be available.

F.E.I.S.A.R
14th May 2011, 03:05 AM
I wonder if shortcuts may be availalble in SOME tracks,not all. If there is,make it in such a way that they are not game-breaking and maybe have some trick shortcuts such that the set route is shorter than the trick shortcut.

Slacker
14th May 2011, 10:15 PM
Get rid of quake?!? Blasphemy, that's been a part of wipeout for 14 glorious years and it better not be going anywhere.

I'll simply reiterate what I said in the "Rumor of new wipeout..." thread:

3. My biggest wish: An option to have the camera follow the track instead of the craft. I can break the top five on the leaderboards in WOXL but I can barely even win at Rapier in Pure. Pure's handling is very awkward to me despite it being a return to the kind that I'm really good at, the key thing missing is that camera placement. It really is harder to weave through chicanes and corners while following the craft. I would love to see this return, just as an option so it doesn't have to interfere with anyone else's style of racing. Having this back would definitely make me a serious contender again.

PLEASE DO THIS. PLEASE.

feisar rocket
15th May 2011, 12:08 AM
I'll see what I can do. If you guys are serious, come and help us out. The more the marrier!

Slacker has a point you know. Quake stays!

Camera follow track, IDK but I think it's possible.

Slacker
15th May 2011, 01:55 AM
If you guys are serious, come and help us out. The more the marrier!

I could maybe help with artwork + design, I'm pretty handy with that. I'll be your Designers Republic. :D

feisar rocket
16th May 2011, 01:57 AM
...help with artwork + design...Yeah! We want more tracks and buildings etc. I'll help you too!

More people want to help?

Xpand
19th May 2011, 04:48 PM
BTW what do you think about ship classes? Like, for the equivalent to the "venom" class we have a type of ship desgin and like that for the other speed classes. That is, if we enable speed classes in the game...

Slacker
19th May 2011, 09:03 PM
[@Xpand]Do you mean a different ship design for each speed class? If so, an alternate skin design by class is a cool idea, but I'm not that crazy about changing the shape of the craft.

BTW, I made a track, here are some pics: http://img163.imageshack.us/g/82965350.png/

Xpand
19th May 2011, 09:15 PM
Looks good. You should start adding some details to give the track some "feel".
I especially like the tunnel, makes me remember some tracks from the older WO games...
Usually, when I draw a track, I start from the terrain up and make the track twist and turn according to it. Then I add the buildings and details.

I recomend you use for trees two planes perpendicular to each other and add a transparent texture on which there's a tree in a black background and that black part is invisible in-game.

Slacker
19th May 2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'm adding the environment right now. Oh, and how compatable is it? Are you guys using Blender?

hehe lots of questions.

Xpand
20th May 2011, 06:31 PM
Well, blender can import many formats. The most recomendable is the .obj format.

Slacker
21st May 2011, 10:27 PM
OK, added an envirnoment. Here are pics:

http://img405.imageshack.us/g/54322991.png/

And here is a POV video of the track, I would upload to Youtube but my internet is messed up right now and this was the only place it would upload:

http://www.herosh.com/download/8595503/Caldrion.2.with.envirnoment.wmv.html

I don't know if I can do .obj. The free version of SketchUp only does COLLIDE .dae files. I can get the free trial of SketchUp Pro and that lets me export .obj, but I want to do another track design. So I'm going to hold off on that, that way I can export both once I'm done.

Rotational_aspect
22nd May 2011, 04:17 PM
Blender imports .DAE files directly. Nice track btw- now you need to start fleshing out details!

Rotational_aspect
24th May 2011, 04:00 PM
A new question: does this thread replace the old 'Lets Make A WO Game...' thread?

Xpand
24th May 2011, 04:37 PM
Ney...

feisar rocket
24th May 2011, 10:43 PM
about ship classes... equivalent to each class we have a type of ship desgin...I thought about this before. 5 classes, 10 teams = 50 ships. I like this, include the grid like campain in Pulse and upgrades (weponary (15 per ship), armour, etc.). Use loyalty points to unlock them and salary+sponsor money to buy it (you get starter weapons you can take off anytime(rocket, shield etc) Now choose which of your 5 ships get which weapon and upgrade. That makes this more tactical, huh?

tommyboy716
25th May 2011, 02:11 AM
some people dont understand the process and how to use these programs so they have no idea how far you guys are. why dont we just pull all we have together and see what we got before setting off onto different projects

Xpand
25th May 2011, 10:56 AM
Well, actually the ship models don't depend on the game engine. Only their file format. The only thing that's missing is an external ship loader, so that we don't have to put all the ship models into the executable.

feisar rocket
25th May 2011, 08:08 PM
put all the ship models into the executable.Wouldn't that make the exe bigger? Can we just make a self extracting program so installs on the comp (I know installing doesn't work like that!)

Xpand
26th May 2011, 01:18 PM
Well, with blender it seems that you have to add each and every ship model in the scene...
Which means that no modding is possible, except for textures. Which goes the oposite way of the starting idea for this.

Rotational_aspect
26th May 2011, 08:54 PM
The only way that models could be imported would be to have a system that 'appends' objects from one blend to another. But then, if someone wants to mod a ship, why not just install Blender and edit the file directly?

feisar rocket
2nd June 2011, 02:14 AM
I'm gonna upload a .skb file of the ship I made. Get Google S.Up to see.

feisar rocket
7th January 2012, 04:49 AM
Time to do a resurection...

Since we are busy... How about you guys help by leaving ship names here or at main thread...

Oh and suggestions would be taken in consideration.

MyNameIsBom
7th January 2012, 07:27 AM
I'm gonna upload a .skb file of the ship I made. Get Google S.Up to see.

try export it as a .dae file, so that it will be compatible with 3DS Max for zero3 and xpand

feisar rocket
7th January 2012, 06:34 PM
Yeah... I'll do what Zero told me. Well the link he gave me... Export as .kmz (i call it the kamikaze extention) save in change extention and rip out the .dae without exploding on S.Up

Vorpal-Knife
18th February 2012, 06:02 PM
Hey, I see this Thread is pretty old now.
just... I'm trying to create my own fan Based Wipeout too - on Cryengine 3 8),
But just have no Idea how to work out the physics.

I mean... On Unity3d I got a really basic hover craft script working , and managed to create artificial gravity, so it could cling to walls and stuff which is Really cool :D but the damping isn't working as planned, thus wobbles like crazy over ramps and off of jumps, and even in sharp turns, which I'm trying to rectify,
and have been so for around a week and a half now .... :brickwall

feisar rocket
25th February 2012, 11:55 AM
It's okay to have problems.
You just gotta solve them, that's the boring part...

F.E.I.S.A.R
25th February 2012, 11:57 AM
rocket,you called for me on the other thread for...?