PDA

View Full Version : Sony planning new WipEout game titled Trinity?

OBH
4th May 2011, 02:37 PM
Any smart corporation protects their intellectual properties. If you’re putting big bucks behind a game, then it’s best if you secure a web domain to match (a trademark helps too). That way you know you have a home for the game when it eventually releases.

Sony, and a number of other publishers do this frequently. And we do our best to scour through registered domains and see if we can find anything of interest. That’s how we found a domain for Starhawk and for inFamous 2. Towards the end of November 2010, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe registered the following domain; WipeoutTrinity.com, and recently, a retail source revealed the name for the NGP version of WipEout to be WipEout 2048. Consequently, there’s been a domain name registered by Sony for that exact name. Quite the coincidence.

While the two web domain urls don’t bring you to a WipEout website –no, that would make it far too easy for us– they do redirect you to an official PlayStation website, adding credence to this discovery. Both have been registered by Sony, and both pertain to the WipEout futuristic racing series. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, the word trinity is defined as “a group of three closely related persons or things”. WipEout doesn’t put much emphasis on the actual drivers, so it’s not related to “persons”. That leaves “things”, but as to what these “things” are, we really don’t have a clue, even after carefully going over the series timeline and story.

Of course, these could just be names that Sony has registered and may not end up using. Remember, we also found a domain for PlayStation Arc, only for it to eventually be officially named the PlayStation Move after rumors of a trademark dispute. Only time will tell if these actually bear any WipEout flavored fruit.

In the mean time, tell us what you believe the “trinity” could be.

We might have all known that a new NGP game is on its way, and had suspicions that there may be a new ps3 game, but I still found this a very interesting read :)

F.E.I.S.A.R
4th May 2011, 02:49 PM
Think cross-platform is in the cards? Portal 2 has it. And there is the possibility of the games ported to the Sony Tablets.

ion harvest
4th May 2011, 02:52 PM
That's good news. Its almost a confirmation and that's ok for me. :)

infoxicated
4th May 2011, 04:13 PM
WipEout Trinity was the development name for what became WipEout HD Fury.

MetaKraken
4th May 2011, 08:50 PM
Hmm... IDK if these two games will be possible, but if there are teaser trailers/screenshots for the two new (possibly IMO) Wipeout games, then let's see what happens next. :)

OBH
5th May 2011, 07:50 AM
WipEout Trinity was the development name for what became WipEout HD Fury.
Ahh now thats interesting. Hadn't come across that piece of news at all.

infoxicated
5th May 2011, 09:11 AM
It was never announced, but I made a reference to it in the EG-X back story around about here;

"In pushing the boundaries of cybernetic technology, we have equipped our pilots with a direct neural bond to their race craft – an almost telepathic link between human and machine."

The original version of this paragraph mentioned that it was called the Trinity Project, but the producer on WipEout was a little cagey at mentioning the working title of the PS3 game at that point, so I took it out.

Essentially I was always looking for ways to leak a little information in the back story - kind of like the smoking guns that the fans could look back at and go "Ah, it was here all along!" But then stuff like NDA's and channelling stuff through the marketing department would get in the way and it would all be filtered out.

// edit

Not wanting to totally derail this thread, but I found the original EG-X back story doc on my PC;

"Speculation in the fan communities suggest that the Xios / EG-R marriage could have created the perfect balance of aerodynamics, power, and technological refinement. The later component being all but assured in a recently leaked internal memo, which revealed that central to the efforts of EG-X is a top secret research and development effort known only as The Trinity Project."

MyNameIsBom
10th May 2011, 10:24 AM
oh darn it!! you guys got my hopes up.... now it's destroyed!!!

Medusa
10th May 2011, 11:39 PM
LOL Imagine if the new wipeout was called "The WipEout Trinity"...
reissue of the first three in high definition in one giant wipEout goodie bag.
Get on it Sony.
Hahahahahaha...

lunar
10th May 2011, 11:48 PM
Well exactly! We already have the Holy Trinity of Wipeout games and an HD remake with a few minor tweaks would be perfect, thanks Mr Sony! :)

leungbok
11th May 2011, 06:24 AM
I really hope that the next wipeout will be something new with new tracks, new teams... but if they also plans a HD remake of the first episodes, i'll buy both :D

slow-train
13th May 2011, 05:53 PM
as long as its got hd graphics n not fury styled graphics i'll be happy:hyper

dirk pitt
19th May 2011, 04:30 PM
Sorry for this question,but i don't understand : " the trinity project" is a remake or a new episode?:dizzy

Xpand
22nd May 2011, 11:05 AM
BTW I just heard of this WO 2048. Will it be the precursor league to all the WO games to existance?