PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect??

Pages : [1] 2

OBH
24th March 2011, 08:28 AM
Hey everybody,
Is anybody else having connection issues? I want to brush up on my skills before my HD Cup race but for 3 days now it just says "connecting" :(:?

R3BU5ER
24th March 2011, 09:26 AM
That sucks mate! I haven't experienced any problems connecting, I played online last night!

slow-train
24th March 2011, 09:27 AM
same here m8,was ok yesterday,but cant connect this morning:brickwall

KGB
24th March 2011, 09:49 AM
Had a quick go and the same here. Connecting... :frown:.

R3BU5ER
24th March 2011, 10:37 AM
Inddeed. I'm experiencing the same problem right now...

chesterknight
24th March 2011, 12:41 PM
Ditto

Nutcase:259
24th March 2011, 01:05 PM
could deleting your connection settings on XMB then reconnecting solve the issue?

or are we all doomed :|

MegaGeeza22
24th March 2011, 02:13 PM
I dont think its nothing to worry about, i hope it sorts it self out so you guys can have your races tonight!
I think its just downtime so sony can fill the loading screens with advertisements...

UB3R~JKP
24th March 2011, 03:26 PM
The end?

blackwiggle
24th March 2011, 03:58 PM
The same, I can't connect.
I've tried for ages, rather ironic considering I haven't tried for ages.
I doubt they would close the servers if the NGP is going to use a direct port of HD/FURY, they would utilize the same ones.

Colonel
24th March 2011, 04:07 PM
Better not be the end, I'll be mortified if it is. Surely it's just maintenance or something.

24th March 2011, 04:12 PM
i just tried about half an hour ago and managed to connect? there were only 3 rapier rooms going though .

anyone else tried since?

blackwiggle
24th March 2011, 04:18 PM
I just tried now, all good thankfully....whoow, had me worried for a moment.:)

greenymac
24th March 2011, 04:28 PM
Man, you all just scared the heck outta me. I just started playing a week or 2 ago and am trying to improve enough to be viable online. It woulda sucked if they did away with online before I got a chance to really get into it.

Colonel
24th March 2011, 05:50 PM
Haha, mini scare :eek.

Life in the old dog yet, thank the Lord!

OBH
25th March 2011, 08:29 AM
I havnt tried it this morning but judging from these replies, im guessing it works :)

slow-train
21st April 2011, 11:30 AM
psn down for maintenance again :blarg

icarasDragon
21st April 2011, 11:56 AM
slow train, it's not maintenece
when sony says it maintence this time it's that stupid anonymous group ddos'ing the psn apparently.
Bulls***

F.E.I.S.A.R
21st April 2011, 01:08 PM
Anonymous,did you consider this side-effect?

Colonel
21st April 2011, 04:26 PM
I'm on their side, they're fighting for rights of PS3 owners everywhere. Yes it sucks that we're caught in the middle, and Anonymous know that, but if they win and Sony have to re-think their policies, then it's a victory for consumers everywhere, particularly PS3 owners.

Sony have proven themselves time and time again to be completely apathetic to the needs or wishes of their customers, safe in the knowledge that millions will buy their products regardless. I applaud Anonymous for what they're doing. Fk Sony, power to the people. We may have to suck it up for a while, but hopefully we'll awake to a better World.

I say all this (a little drunk) but if Avalon get's fked up by this I'm with Sony, crush the commie bastards.

runingman111
21st April 2011, 05:32 PM
Hi there - server crash :blarg on playstationNetwork look here (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/21/latest-update-on-psn-outage/)

slimjim
21st April 2011, 07:01 PM
i like how there not saying what the problem is

greenymac
21st April 2011, 07:20 PM
Sony will not acknowledge publicly that they dont know what to do about these hackers... They can always save face by saying whatever they please anf the general consumer will never know the wiser.
Either way,I dont like it one bit.

Frailavi
22nd April 2011, 08:46 AM
I usually side with anonymous, and I will for this one as well. People watch and laugh when it's for something that doesn't effect them, but now that it inconveniences your daily life you're against it entirely.

Their decision making is typically very logical and thought out. Besides, a few days without PSN could be a good thing for me.

UB3R~JKP
22nd April 2011, 09:24 AM
The anons are just imbelcelic morons who need to give themselves self-gratifation from their crappy lives. The idea here makes /no/ sense whatsoever. Oh, nobody else was affected except a few with other OS but they think taking down the PSN is a good idea cause everyone will know what it feels like to be denied a service they paid for?

WRONGO.

Do you think if a cop got shot and other cops didn't it would make it ok to go shoot all if them so they no what it feels like?

The 'anon' supporters are just your typical 'rebel against the system' people- sony aint half as bad as they people think! The anons turned from a great activist group into a stupid, pointless 'hacker' group that aim to hurt people.

bloody saddos

kanar
22nd April 2011, 10:00 AM
Guys anonymous isn't beyond that this time, they stopped their psn dos attacks a while ago now. They even just published something a few hours ago, denying any responsibility for that.

slow-train
22nd April 2011, 10:26 AM
instead of the error code when i try to sign in,im now getting the psn is currently undergoing maintenance message! would be nice if this was fixed real soon cause im bored bored bored:frown:

Jav
22nd April 2011, 10:49 AM
PSN maintenance has always happened on the 21st of April. It's really unlikely that it's Anonymous this time. Yes I know it's the 22nd already but maybe they wanna do it right?

OBH
22nd April 2011, 11:01 AM
Swear the big man upstairs is trying to stop me having my cup race :P

22nd April 2011, 11:06 AM
Maintenance lol,

all the kings horses and all the kings men, couldn't put the PSN back together again. (or atleast for 2 WHOLE days :lol)

anyways i get 80710D23 error, id much prefer if they did what google chrome does "its dead jim" at least then it would be a bit funny, or in the trouble shoot advise people to go outside, after all this might be the only sun we get the UK for a long time ;) :lol

greenymac
22nd April 2011, 11:19 AM
All I know is that if itsnot up ad running by tomorrow I'll be pissed. I've been trying to get better for avalon and now that its right on our doorstep psn is down.lol

blackwiggle
22nd April 2011, 11:37 AM
A belated statement has be made by Sony saying maintenance is being done and the PSN should be back online within the next 18 hours from the time I posted this.

B.S. IMHO as they always warn people at least a few days in advance at least at one official PSforum, and they haven't anywhere this time.
Also add to the fact that that they only ever do maintenance in one particular region for a maximum 10-12 hours period, this has been close to 3 days worldwide, something bigger is going on.
I don't know why, but the worse hit area has been Japan, they have been without the PSN for nearly 2 weeks apart for one or two days

Challenger #001
22nd April 2011, 12:23 PM
A belated statement has be made by Sony saying maintenance is being done and the PSN should be back online within the next 18 hours from the time I posted this.

Oh great. So Avalon may not happen until midday tomorrow. >.<

greenymac
22nd April 2011, 12:42 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if it was on and off the entire weekend...

FirstDave
22nd April 2011, 01:21 PM
Just when i convinced myself to have a go at this :frown: but on the upside its made me complete campaign. ooooh i like shiney things.8)

Dave.:)

JABBERJAW
22nd April 2011, 01:30 PM
I was ticked about this as well, until I got a few good time trial results, and learned a few lines. It better be up by July 6 (wipeout tournament), otherwise, they need to make a LAN option!, which would be better anyway for a tourney. So, I haven't played alot online, this happens alot?

boxerboy
22nd April 2011, 02:14 PM
Clearly Skynet has begun its attack, initial testing phases being conducted across the PSN. ;)

greenymac
22nd April 2011, 02:15 PM
boxerboy, did i used to play COD with you?

ion harvest
22nd April 2011, 02:19 PM
This is annoying isn't it? Avalon is tomorrow and I can't connect to Psn. I haven't been playing at all for a bit. But I have a knee injury and I can't go out much. I really wanted to play online so I won't get bored but stupid bastard psn stops all that. Now I have to play monopoly with Aaron and Marie (nephew and niece). I don't mind but they cheat XD

Rapidkirby3k
22nd April 2011, 02:59 PM
Before I heard PSN was going to perform server maintenance, I thought there was something wrong with my Ethernet cord at first.

boxerboy
22nd April 2011, 06:38 PM
greenymac, no, never played COD.

runingman111
22nd April 2011, 06:42 PM
The same like yesterday :blarg PlaystationNetwork going down - look here (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/21/latest-update-on-psn-outage/)

MegaGeeza22
22nd April 2011, 07:43 PM
PSN is back on, i just signed in.... :P

FirstDave
22nd April 2011, 07:51 PM
Cool ! :D:D:D

greenymac
22nd April 2011, 08:16 PM
Gonna have a smoke and see if its back online in the states.

JFthebestJan
22nd April 2011, 08:24 PM
PSN still down in germany :turd

Dark_Phantom_89
22nd April 2011, 09:53 PM
PSN is back on, i just signed in.... :P

How did you get on? I just tried to and can't.

greenymac
22nd April 2011, 09:54 PM
me either...It'll probably be spotty all night.

Colonel
22nd April 2011, 10:17 PM
I've been trying every half hour or so all day and it's not happening. On the plus side I've nailed LOADS of racebox, it's been ace.

greenymac
22nd April 2011, 10:25 PM
i actually went back to do the arcade perfect trophy. Must say it was pretty easy. Been playing around with feisar a bit...Feels really good. Meh, i'll be ok I got booze, beer, smokes, and grub. I'm good althoughsome online would be nice.

ID_7of9
22nd April 2011, 10:28 PM
Psn is still down -_- the latest news i read, were, they probably will need another 1 or 2 days to get the problem fixed! :frown:

MegaGeeza22
22nd April 2011, 10:52 PM
LOL, psn is still dead... i was joking, i didn't sign in.
Sony said 2 days and that ends on the 23rd so Sony should give us more information then!
Just enjoy the good weather!!

Colonel
22nd April 2011, 10:55 PM
Yeah Arcade Perfect was easier than I thought it would be in all honesty. You've just reminded me though, I've forgotten to eat today. Had a sandwich and a Pot Noodle about eight hours ago but that's it. I'd intended to go to sleep by now to get some rest before Avalon but instead I've nailed a bottle of wine.

Still gonna get up at 6.30 tomorrow and check if PSN's working again. If it's not I'll go straight back to bed. I'm knackered as it is, God knows what 24hrs of Wipeout will do to me. I'm still up for it though :twisted

icarasDragon
23rd April 2011, 03:00 AM
Grr don't get me started on Arcade Perfect
Chengou Project Forward put me off it for a while (I'm still fixing my Icaras and licking my wounds, I was eliminated a lot :redface: )

Anyway back on topic I am now getting the "PSN is undergoing maintenence" message down under in Tasmania :| .

boxerboy
23rd April 2011, 03:08 AM
External Intrusion (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/22/update-on-playstation-network-qriocity-services/)

I'm going through all the races I've done before, except now with 'Elite' difficulty to get the special medals.

Can anyone tell me how to get the glass ships that some of the other users have? I have Fury.

Jav
23rd April 2011, 09:38 AM
You have to have a medal in every cell on Meltdown.

boxerboy
23rd April 2011, 10:16 AM
So is there a point of trying to get loyalty to any of the ships?

icarasDragon
23rd April 2011, 10:54 AM
Loyalty is needed to obtain ship skins and the "WipEout Disciple" and "Livery Liberation" trophies.

Kyonshi
23rd April 2011, 02:40 PM
Seems that its really a system hack that caused the global shutdown!

http://apps.facebook.com/upitone/?controller=news&op=view-news&news_id=77510

Anonymous officially claim they are not behind this, btw.

slow-train
23rd April 2011, 03:24 PM
call me paranoid,but i wouldnt be surprised if microsoft was behind this:naughty

Colonel
23rd April 2011, 03:39 PM
Ha, that really does sound paranoid slow-train.

F.E.I.S.A.R
23rd April 2011, 04:01 PM
Very unhappy, mid-years in three days time and I want a bit of relaxation. Eff.
I wonder how rusty I am with WipEout HD Fury...

slow-train
23rd April 2011, 04:37 PM
lol must be all the weed ive smoked over the years taking its toll:)

ID_7of9
23rd April 2011, 05:38 PM
Today i had to go out because of the psn outage lol... And eyed up a xBox. ^^ The first step to the dark side! ;)

boxerboy
23rd April 2011, 08:06 PM
slow-train's assertion may tilt towards the paranoid, but this certainly kicks Sony in the goolies (given the circumstances).

This Weekend, Europeans Can All Play Xbox Live Together (http://kotaku.com/#!5794657/this-weekend-europeans-can-all-play-xbox-live-together)

(No, I'm not an xbot, I just thought it was a funny coincidence). Thanks, Jav & IcarasDragon for the info. I'll get there soon!

slow-train
23rd April 2011, 08:14 PM
uncanny,maybe im psychic ooooooooooo

blackwiggle
24th April 2011, 04:42 AM
Sony just announced they are rebuilding the system, god knows how long it's going to be down.

QUOTE:
We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

Oryx Crake
24th April 2011, 06:48 AM
"Thanks for your patience..."

Don't know that I've been all that patient really... I have to say I am a little angry at them for allowing such a catastrophic attack to even be possible... but then I'm no hacker and I dont know what it takes to keep them out.

runingman111
24th April 2011, 06:56 AM
Hi there - continious the same - and whats really behind it - they never tell us :blarg Pitiful - SCEE is one of the greatest company anyway - especially serverhousing concerned and they need so long to fix it - newest facts here (http://www.suite101.com/content/playstation-network-problems-over-easter-a367490)

icarasDragon
24th April 2011, 07:32 AM
I always thought the PSN was the only service with 100% free online. We now have to pay time and to an extent money. The PC has GFW and Xbox is subscription only.
Why do I have to pay for something I could do for free 3 years ago? WHY!

Jav
24th April 2011, 08:43 AM
I think Sony are handling this very well to be honest. Their communication has been excellent. You can't put the network back online if there's a risk of accounts being hacked and credit card numbers flying around. They are taking the steps necessary to fix this issue, so be it. The weather's lovely!

mdhay
24th April 2011, 09:46 AM
It would seem they are building the PSN entirely from scratch at ths rate, not to sound impatient. It would reinforce the possibility of DDoS attacks and such if it happened. Still, it could've been worse. :P (http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/xbox-live-outage-day-13-still-up-and-down-still-preventing-fu/)

MegaGeeza22
24th April 2011, 10:13 AM
I think Sony are handling this very well to be honest. Their communication has been excellent.

I dont think that there handling it that well at all... 1st they say "upto 2 days" and now its day 4! All they have told us on there last update basically is - "psn is still down" we already know this....
The only thing that everyone wants to know is... How long will psn be down????
The least they can do is say - it could be down for upto a week.

UB3R~JKP
24th April 2011, 10:50 AM
We'll happily Accept some compensation sony ;)

icarasDragon
24th April 2011, 11:56 AM
I read somewhere that they are rebuilding the ENTIRE PSN
How about some new features like parties or some PSN credit when it comes back for all the bulls*** you've caused us Sony! :|

mdhay
24th April 2011, 12:15 PM
Nobody's really in a position to demand anything from them, they're rebuilding the network, they're not leaving it, after all, they could just let your account get cracked and al of your account information be known to the rest of the world, but they're not.

If you wanted to talk with your friends using headsets whilst playing a game, use it in the game, or use the video chat rooms, you can't really do both without losing some amount of concentration on either task. It's up to developers wether they want you to be able to talk inside the game or outside of it, it's the same thing with custom soundtracks, really.

If you give the ability to use your own media in game, or to talk with others about anything but the game, then the developer has to compensate for that by dumbing down some potentially brilliant atmospheric assets, you'd essentialy be bringing something atmospheric and immersive, eg any wipeout game, to the same level as the generic trash on the mass market, curiously where most thirteen/ fourteen year olds can be found, attempting to insult each others mothers, who are paying for them to do that.
(and yes, I know you were referencing mostly xBox Live with the party reference, that's why I wrote it.)

/rant over. :D

24th April 2011, 02:26 PM
it wasn't an elaborate Easter joke then eh? :lol

there was a Sony Jesus billboard once?

Anywho, its been an utterly piss poor response to us by Sony , they havent actually told us whats happening and neither have they come out and said if our credit info is safe, total joke

what happens to the developers who only create games for download? will they get compensation?

OBH
24th April 2011, 03:15 PM
I don't understand people like icarasDragon & Oryx Crake who are getting very angry about this. You can't expect Sony to have it up and running quickly if they have been forced to "rebuild their entire internet infrastructure" as they worded it. A rushed job would simply come back with further problems. Plus unlike Xbox which uses current PC technology, PS3 is still new. I imagine it would be impossible to know all the ways a hacker could cause problems until it does. PC's were no different.

Considering the severity of whats happening the problem must have been horrific. I'm no techy, but I imagine PSN must have taken a considerable time to build. Now they're back to square one.

If PSN returns more stable, more secure, and with a better connection than before you'll all be cheering that Sony took their time with this. Plus the service is free, people shouldn't forget that.

:):+ Jav and all who think Sony are handling the problem well. All too often Console / Game companies etc. go completely silent when a problem arises.

24th April 2011, 03:19 PM
Plus the service is free, people shouldn't forget that.

if you dont count the £299 to £400 quid you pay to get a 'free' service ;)

also they havent been keeping us updated at all? they've just posted up the usual PR "oh somethings wrong, rest assure were working on it" several times, then redirected you to twitter to find info, which then links you back to the page you were just on? :-

i dont particularly give a monkeys about the PSN, i just want to know if the credit details are alright

Colonel
24th April 2011, 03:35 PM
Well I've made the most of my time without access to PSN. If you want to see what I mean just go to http://wipeout.servemp3.com/wipeout/ and filter All, All, All, Recently Added, then check out the first 3 pages of results :lol

boxerboy
24th April 2011, 04:49 PM
guys stop giving me so many options

runingman111
24th April 2011, 04:50 PM
These are dark days for PlayStation 3 gamers. The PlayStation Network has been out of commission (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1163299p1.html) since Wednesday evening, and ever since then, access to the PSN and the PlayStation Store has been cut off. That means that you can't download titles, sync your Trophies, or even play online multiplayer. In a sense, outages like this should be expected with the PlayStation Network. It's a free service and as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. But this lack of a financial stake for customers seems to equate to the lackadaisical response from Sony itself.
Look here (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1163747p1.html) for further info

Challenger #001
24th April 2011, 05:26 PM
I have to say, I disagree saying that Sony should 'refund' us for damages caused. Sure, I'm angry about the disruption, but there's nobody to blame but the hackers that caused the damage. Sony's had its' share of hard times with the tsunami that damaged their Japanese HQ and brought down PSN Asia for a while. I'm unhappy I can't play my games online, I admit. But I'm not paying a monthly fee for this, I don't see why I should somehow get 'refunded' for something I didn't pay for.

It would be nice if say, there was a discount on some items in the PSN store, but I think we have to grit our teeth and get through this.

*fires up Steam* Anyone for Half Life 2: Deathmatch?

mdhay
24th April 2011, 05:32 PM
mdhay_wz. Add me and I'll install it again. :D

MegaGeeza22
24th April 2011, 05:57 PM
It may be a 'free service' but what about the people who bought a ps3 to play online! psn is sonys biggest selling point and without it its just a blue ray player...
and besides its not free for ps+ subscribers.
Im not to botherd by the downtime because iv been busy,
But, The People 99% of them (sonys customers) are asking 1 question.... How long? but just like all customer service... they never answer the real questions! even if they said "a month" i would be happy!! at least i could forget about it.
Our details are safe, but sony's details aren't. they HAVE to tell us if our accounts could be affected. its Law

Frailavi
24th April 2011, 08:35 PM
You guys need to chill over all this.

It's just PSN. I understand that some of us played it everyday, and I've also been inconvenienced over all of this. But come on, if you can't do without it for a week then this is probably a good thing for you.

On the case of Sony not giving out enough information, yes, it's really annoying and bothersome but did you really expect something more?

Oryx Crake
24th April 2011, 10:21 PM
I honestly just dont get it... or rather what makes me angry is that the only thing the hackers have achieved is to piss off people who want to enjoy a good evenings gaming every now and then (or too often, as you said, in my case) so theres no real purpose to the attack. That pisses me off more than anything because that indicates to me that the hacker in question is just an asshole who somehow gets off on angering other people.

I dont care much about how long it takes for sony to rebuild the system(yes I am a bit bitter that there was no avalon this weekend but these things happen) so long as it stays free, safe and stable. BUT as I've already stated it angers me that some little creep thinks it's funny to mess with 70milion users and for what?! it just doesnt make sense.

anyway rant over have a nice day/Oryx

icarasDragon
25th April 2011, 01:05 AM
The only thing that tips me off a bit is that Sony aren't releasing enough information. All I want to know is wether they've salvaged the account list (so we don't have to recreate them and lose any credit we have) and wether PS+ users will have their billing months reset or similar (For the portion they couldn't use), and JUST HOW LONG will the code monkeys take.
I'll be happy just to know to when it'll be down let alone account info.

(I'm also wondering how will the littl'uns like 6yr olds who use the service for LBP or something taking this)

blackwiggle
25th April 2011, 02:46 AM
To put the PSN outage into perspective.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/03/xbox-live-outage-day-13-still-up-and-down-still-preventing-fu/

mdhay
25th April 2011, 09:07 AM
I already linked to that. :P

Still it serves as a good method of showing how bad we don't have it, really. :D

MegaGeeza22
25th April 2011, 08:26 PM
This is just an update i found about how far sony are at getting psn back online.
They still dont know if personal details have been compromised.... This tells me that they are still a long way from getting psn back up and running.
So it will be at least another week before we can play online,
Now i can put the ps3 away because i know it wont be getting used for a while:D
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/04/25/discussion-mounts-regarding-card-details-and-psn/

Medusa
25th April 2011, 09:07 PM
If nothing else, this is a good way to find out which games are truly epic and fun when they're all on their own, without online experiences to affect your judgment of them...or how badly we're addicted to gaming online. :D

There's children starving in Africa. (and elsewhere)
And yes, I know they're not paying for internet they can't use. ;) but they're still starving.

Aeroracer
25th April 2011, 10:44 PM
ive read on other sites about this group that has hacked psn network and taken it down..tey have put out a statement on other sites about why they did it but they only say thats its punishment to sony for treating us customers bad..so....

can someone explain in detail what they mean by sony treating us badly..i want to understand full story before i take a side :)

MegaGeeza22
25th April 2011, 11:10 PM
The hackers got pissed because sony disabled some things from the ps3 that hardly anyone knew about... apart from hackers.
They believe its unfair of sony to remove features that were on the ps3 as standard but its a security risk for sony and iv never heard of this thing they removed.
So the hackers are just doing this for themselves, because there not customers anymore as all there games are hacked and they contribute nothing to sony.
They also say sony are just money takers.... but aren't all companies?
F U hackers :mad:

Oryx Crake
25th April 2011, 11:16 PM
While running the risk of being repetitive it sounds to me like the hackers in question are just arseholes out to ruin someone's day to make a name for themselves... Or if I'm being slightly more lenient, completely misguided idealists with a cause that is to say the least questionable.

Honestly this is I'm sure a bit of a headache for sony but in the end the ones who are punished are the customers. Not I think the intended effect, so good on ya hackers! way to go on making yourselves look bad!

blackwiggle
26th April 2011, 01:37 AM
Anonymous make video statement denying involvement in taking down PSN.
http://www.digitalspy.com.au/gaming/news/a316296/anonymous-denies-involvement-in-psn-hack.html

Medusa
26th April 2011, 01:53 AM
I found it interesting that even though I can't sign into PSN, when I went to try some demos for the first time (that I'd downloaded ages ago), they required updates before playing--the updates downloaded just fine.
So the servers must be up and running, right?

I'm far happier that they're trying to fix a hack than let us play on unawares and just wait for our Credit card numbers to get stolen...

Also, why does this hack have to be someone who's just out to hate Sony? It could easily have been done strictly for financial gain--there's certainly enough gamers with credit tied into the PSN.

Thanks for info blackwiggle, very informative (unless you're a skeptic)

blackwiggle
26th April 2011, 01:59 AM
It appears that the reason the PSN is down is because of a Jailbreak misuse.

A moderator at PSX-Scene posted this.

QUOTE:
Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (http://rebug.me). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out by 3rd parties (not Rebug) to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

Edit #1: To those of you saying that this is speculation, you are correct. But, it is speculation based on a lot of facts and the outcome seems to make the most sense.
1. Rebug was released on 3/31/11.
2. First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11. 3. Word of "shady" sites finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website). 4. PSN goes down on 4/20/11

Now, you can believe Sony's PR team which has kept you completely in the dark, or you can see the list of events above and come to your own conclusion. Now, this isn't the first time Sony has fought back against the PS3 modders from getting on PSN. A couple of months ago we had a utility called f*ckPSN that changed the necessary header information that was being sent to Sony to allow modified consoles back online. We were able to use it for about a month. Then came the new TOS, the mass e-mail to PS3 customers, and software update 3.56 and 3.60. So, once again, yes this is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.

Edit #2: Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware.

Edit #3: Ok, it looks like some various news sites have picked up this story and taken it out of context. Once again, this is all speculation and information gathered from various devs in the PS3 scene. It might very well not be the real reason PSN is down, but as the timeline fits, it's a reasonable explanation. Now, as to Rebug directly allowing this to happen, that's not the case at all. Different CFW's have had access to the dev network the whole time. This is not new news for people in the PS3 scene. It's what people have figured out what to do with the said network that has caused all the recent issues. Saying that Rebug is what did this is like saying a gun manufacturer is responsible for every death that happens with a gun.

feisar rocket
26th April 2011, 02:16 AM
I'm sad and happy that this happend. I can't go online, SO I work on getting trophies! I wonder, what's happening to Sony right now, at this moment...

If Sony and Microsoft uses both systems, on ONE server. Therefore, someone with a Xbox360 hates Sony and tries to hack them (or vise versa), NO ONE goes online... (too far, eh?) Plus it is better than buying both system just so you can play with friends.

If Sony told us what happend and how we can help, I'll hop on a plane and I'll be there, ASAP!

jesse9705
26th April 2011, 03:59 AM
Well for some reason yesterday i got on the playstation store on my PSP, it's odd, and those hacker's who did it, give a bad name too the hacker's who actually do some good with what they do, but the one's that taken PSN down are bad, the give good hacker's a bad name*rage's*
but i hope it is back up soon, but can anyone explain how i managed too access PSN on my PSP? i just updated my PSP too firmware 6.38 2 day's ago
me myself support the PSP and PS3 hacking community, But however this is just too far im angry that this has happened, But When you think about it, it is not just the hacker's fault, Sony should've had better hack-proof security, But the hacker's could've rather then bringing PSN down, they could've just let it slide,like the PSP hacking community doe's,(stupid downgrader's for PSP 6.38 not not existing) but i still think these people who hacked PSN should be Punished

However think of this wouldn't it make more sense if sony let the hacker's continue making game's and extention's for the PS3 and PSP, i know it sound's dum im saying this but, it could attract more people too PSP's and PS3's if sony allowed some of the Special add-on's and homebrew game's the hacker's make, PSP and PS3 Sale's would go up, anyone know what im saying,but still, hacker's have gone too far, some of us may have lost online stat's and everything we had worked for in some online game's and program's *rage's*

blackwiggle
26th April 2011, 04:32 AM
The hackers didn't bring the PSN down.
Sony found out that the hackers had gained access to the trusted developers portion of the PSN by manipulation of this new CFW, then entering via a proxy server and by using a signature that Sony's security wasn't programmed to verify.
That's like you having a PC security program that doesn't look for Trojans, pretty useless, or a thief putting a mask on disguising themselves as somebody you know, and you thinking it's them letting them in your house.

The major security lapse by Sony was not thinking that they were vulnerable to people being able to access the core of it's servers via this means, and being so trusting that no verification was asked for.

Sony would of had no option but to shut the PSN down after such a horrendous breach.
As it is Sony has no idea what data was taken, or I imagine how many different people were using the same exploit to enter, or how many times they had done so before the breach was discovered.

jesse9705
26th April 2011, 06:29 AM
my guess is they most likely stole data needed to make down-grader's for most OFW, and possible exploit's in firmware
but with this data they could end up being able to make a exploit on any PSP or PS3 system,but who knows

blackwiggle
26th April 2011, 07:31 AM
Well once they were in they had access to the raw game code for any game that is up at the various PStores, very easy to copy it.
And from what the moderator at the PSX site said, he had to delete a post explaining just how to do this, so I guess somebody DID actually do this otherwise this information wouldn't be known.
If you follow the timeline of events as they unfolded over the last 2 weeks you will see that it was the Japanese server that got hit first, I suspect that is the core entry port for developers, the one the hackers found themselves entering by.
The Japanese PSN's services were disrupted a week before the others, they were on & off, mostly off from what I've been told, and I guess somebody finally twigged what the hell was going on, once it was verified Sony told all regions to shut down.

Sony would of shut down the PSN as much to stop the gathering of credit card/account details of PS users as it would to protect the actual games themselves.
I imagine everybody in the gaming industry would be extremely worried about just what was taken during the time these hackers had access.

You have to realize that these are legitimate copies of games that were made available via this security breach.
It would be easy to replicate them and make them available as disc versions to be played back by any legitimate standard PS3.

Keep an eye out at your nearest dodgy supplier of burnt DVD/Bluray discs for some PS3/PSP games that can be downloaded into Media GO! then transferred to your PS3/PSP.
Or even played directly from the burnt disc.

ion harvest
26th April 2011, 10:35 AM
Edit. Keep racism ou of this.

greenymac
26th April 2011, 10:41 AM
I agree with ion.... That last part of your post was racist as **** and could've been left to your own thoughts.

blackwiggle
26th April 2011, 11:19 AM
I have amended and removed the offending portions of my last post.

Who said that the hackers were European/white American?
I sure as hell didn't presume that, never ever mention it.
A presumption on your part.

Maybe you would like to likewise remove portions of, or amend your post unless you want to come across as hypocritical.

ion harvest
26th April 2011, 11:53 AM
I used that to serve as an example. It worked coz it rattled your cage ;)

Btw I'm white.

greenymac
26th April 2011, 12:37 PM
I applaud you both for being the bigger man...well handled..

F.E.I.S.A.R
26th April 2011, 01:10 PM
I guess that attacks online can be shifted to someone else. Proxies can be used to make the traffic come from nations which are on the so-called blacklist of spam countries.
I really love being cynical...and maybe evil.

MegaGeeza22
26th April 2011, 02:54 PM
Sony will release a statement in a few hours....
http://www.thesixthaxis.com:80/2011/04/26/bbc-say-statement-from-sony-coming-soon/#comments

Aeroracer
26th April 2011, 02:59 PM
thanks for answering my question about what the hacker are up to..

now i know i do not support them.they steal games and distribute them and help close down game developers ..lose jobs and push up prices..

i hope sony get hard and do that thing i heard of and lock up thier ps3's and render them into bricks for anyone who are known hackers and distrubuters of pirate software..

UB3R~JKP
26th April 2011, 08:58 PM
Loss of personal details confirmed in hack.

leungbok
26th April 2011, 09:03 PM
My feeling is that those hackers aren't even video games fans :-

kanar
26th April 2011, 09:25 PM
yep, definitely a sad day there, just read they had access to our personal datas. I'll analyze my bank account these next few days... Tbh I'm really fubar. These stupid hacking genius are just very small dickheads only able to hack a poor earthquaked/tsunamied company who sold at a loss the ps3 during 4/5 years... They're just starting to earn some money, & now... that???

So thank you Geohot, & all the crew, you really helped all the Russian/chinese whatever country hacker mafia there, here we go stupid psn spam to death in our inboxes, & maybe worse.

Geohot is just a stupid ass, just like anonymous all the others. If you guys are so ****in genius, why not REALLY HACK something big, like the NYSE for example, you want a new, free world? just focus on the real targets, seriously... Pffff. The guy is considered as a genius cos' he hacked a phone? & woaw, a ps3? pathetic.

datas stolen by pathetic hackers who have nothing else to do link http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/26/sony-playstation-network-data-stolen/

stin
26th April 2011, 10:15 PM
This is serious stuff there and I`m not happy with that!

You hackers are a piece of :turd

stevie

RJ O'Connell
26th April 2011, 11:19 PM
If you have a credit card or debit/ATM card on your account, CANCEL THAT STUFF ASAP. Order a new one if need be.

jesse9705
27th April 2011, 12:31 AM
Yes but if PSN is down why can i access it with my PSP, it is really odd,but seriousally the hacker's could of just kep't on making their little exploit's and homebrew without spoiling it for everyone... :'( i was planning on going online with my Game buddy who is in the US, we were going too play tonight....dumb hackers

MegaGeeza22
27th April 2011, 01:09 AM
The bad thing about hackers is that they rarely get punished....
They get employed by the person whom they hacked to help prevent future attacks, which is stupid but understandable...
If they ever catch the person who fronted this attack they will just get a slap on the wrist and a seat at sony headquarters...
This always happens and the hackers know it.

blackwiggle
27th April 2011, 01:55 AM
Firstly it HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED that any personal data was stolen.
Read the statement Sony issued.
It says Sony can't be sure that no personal data was or was not stolen.

This log of a security intrusion to the Sony servers has been posted.
http://shockwavelounge.blogspot.com/2011/04/playstation-network-log-of-hacker.html

If it's the one that has caused all this trouble is another matter.

Either way, corporate business wise this is to Sony what the recent earthquake/Tsunami/Nuclear disaster has been to Japan.
Depending on the outcome of personal data loss or not Sony has got a PR minefield to cross, it's going to make BP's oil spill look small time if ID theft on a grand scale befalls people.

Frailavi
27th April 2011, 05:42 AM
"out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

Doubt they got the CC info, just username/passwords/emails. Pretty much anything directly tied to your account (aka almost anything a 12 year old next door could get). Even so, pretty funny they were able to do it so easily.

You guys should calm down still, jumping to a new conclusion every time they post something is annoying to watch.

jesse9705
27th April 2011, 06:37 AM
well, their is too much speculation, sony is a large corporation and will deny and fault on their behalf, and the hacker's will deny it as well so you can't believe either side's so we might as well just let them work it out only time will tell

mic-dk
27th April 2011, 07:24 AM
Be that as it may, I'm getting a new credit card just the same.

It's all about trust. There are very few places on the internet I trust to keep my primary email address and even fewer I let keep my credit card number. PSN was one of those places.

And quite frankly, if Sony exposed their entire PSN infrastructure to be raped by that bunch of Anon/OtherOS retards they don't deserve my business anymore. They are simply not fit to be allowed to handle money on my behalf. Did you see that logfile? Amateur hour. FFS...

I can now look forward to even more spam, and if I'm really lucky my account details was already sold on and abused.

Shame really, I liked the PS Store, but from now on my games will come from a disc, bought in the local game store.

amplificated
27th April 2011, 07:45 AM
One of the reasons I mentioned I pulled out of the cup was because I was concerned about PSN security and didn't want to log onto the network. Shame that wasn't enough and every single user's data has been stolen.

I'm just glad the information for the CC# I used has expired. I used an email account I try to only use on "secure" sites and stuff, and didn't get any spam; now that may change... this is a colossal failure on Sony's part, and if CC details have been compromised, I totally feel it'd be okay if the company got sued into oblivion right now for this.

Some mild entertainment is not worth this hassle. Pathetic security.

icarasDragon
27th April 2011, 07:56 AM
This is why my family always used vouchers, in case of this exact event. To be brutally honest Sony never looked at the possibility that the piss-poor security of the PSN would be breached. Even if its going to take ages i'm glad they are rebuilding the PSN and it's security measures. Hopefully we can secure our money, let the Sony code monkeys do their work and we can be assured it won't happen again. I just hope Sony knows what they are doing and don't come out with malware-anti virus levels of security!

stin
27th April 2011, 08:10 AM
Just wait till we will get a full story but, Sony is in serious jeopardy of their Network due their serious potential customers, which they don`t want to lose...

You know, this is not a good business but Sony is the blame to themselves!:|

You know what my wife just told me the now and I advise all you guys and gals to to change all your passwords through all your personals stuff, just to be on a safe side.

After all this happening, I will never use PSN again to their **** ups!, thank you hackers, you just made my day!

stevie

Frailavi
27th April 2011, 09:13 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UkOAj.png

On a serious note, there's a lot of bullshit arising from this. From users to competitors alike. I heard Microsoft unbanned every Xbox ever banned from Xbox Live. Sony is going to have a hard time coming back from this one.

And to think all they had to do with encrypt user information... something so small.

Edit:
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/halolz-dot-com-sonyplaystation3-psnhacked.jpg
Oh man they keep popping up, I can't stop laughing.

icarasDragon
27th April 2011, 10:53 AM
The PSN will still be safe to use, just don't use cc numbers, switch to PSN Cards, change your password and see if your email account has a spam filter and encryption... things and use them! That's what they are for! And if you need to make a new account and change your credit cards. A good time to change your online prescence from a crappy name, just like I did.

jesse9705
27th April 2011, 11:13 AM
urgghhhh im sick of this im going too complain too sony now, and if they don't give me answer's ill urgghhh....

MENGKESHI
27th April 2011, 11:42 AM
Bleeeeeeeeugh:blarg, I have just seen "Anonymous" video statement denying the attacks. What a "laughing-man" wannabe cringeworthy EMBARRASSMENT!! lol PS Thanks for wasting my morning with bank visits, little script-kiddies!!

leungbok
27th April 2011, 11:50 AM
A good time to change your online prescence from a crappy name, just like I did.
Wise thing to do, i thought about changing "leungbok" into BADTESTERZ (like my Youtube account) since months, it's the good timing to do it !

amplificated
27th April 2011, 11:59 AM
To the people raging at Anonymous:
Firstly, Anonymous is a largely unorganised group of individuals with no relation to each other. There are people who are just there for lols, people who want to change things, and they all have varying degrees of ability to succeed in either category. Hacking a company like HBGary (a security firm) was by no means a job done by "script kiddies". That means some people in Anonymous are not retarded, and I don't think anyone calling them as such will bother them. However, it kind of is funny that someone in the group decided to release a statement saying it wasn't them. There's no way for them to know that, and as of right now, to most people, the hacker truly is anonymous - including to them.

Secondly, the biggest problem in this circumstance is Sony's grossly incompetent security measures. Accounts indicate that all user data was provided in plain text and freely available on the dev section of the PSN, which itself should not be part of the the user PSN at all. Blaming any hacker(s) for compromising user data forgets that Sony has a duty to care for the user data provided to them for a service. There's always a risk of being compromised, and Sony did not do enough to protect users. There are simple measures that could have been taken to prevent this from happening, and there are so many of these measures that have just been entirely discarded in the creation of the PSN it truly beggars belief.

UB3R~JKP
27th April 2011, 12:06 PM
New username for me then....

27th April 2011, 12:06 PM
hey, I wonder how long its been going on before they realised and shut it down?:blarg
there statement says "when we learned of an external intrusion"

it could have been happening long before they "learned" of it

also, how can you change your usernames? you need to be online in order to do that :lol

MegaGeeza22
27th April 2011, 12:21 PM
Why are people changing there usernames and cancelling their cards???
Just tell your bank not to pay out to anyone that your not already paying out too and to contact you personally if an irregularity happens... and if we do get spam emails just ignore them just like every other spam email.
Whats next? you all going to change your home address?
It all seems a bit too extreme...

MENGKESHI
27th April 2011, 12:42 PM
@amplificated

Personally I disagree. Sony's security shortcomings are a problem but the main problem is the selfish losers who decided to put 70million+ people out in order to boost their own egos.

EDIT: Regarding their competence, fair enough I'm sure some of them must have very advanced computer security skills but it's always easier to pull off an attack than to pre-emptively defend against all possible attacks. If they're really that great, they should be putting their skills into top tier security jobs.

@megageeza

If they have your card no, expiry date, name and dob, then all that's really lacking from making bogus payments is your 3 digit security number which is not really a sufficient security barrier so replacing your cards really does make sense...

ion harvest
27th April 2011, 12:57 PM
Really? ****. This is very stupid :( I only have one card. I don't plan to buy anymore games but still having my info vulnerable like that worries me.

Bloody heck.

MegaGeeza22
27th April 2011, 12:59 PM
I can understand if you want to cancel your cards because its not hard to do and you get peace of mind.
Iv always had an overseas block on my card and i unblock it when i leave the country (rare). Any irregularity in my spending habbits is also blocked unless iv spoken to my bank manager previously. so i wont be cancelling mine.
but changing your psn username is useless...

blackwiggle
27th April 2011, 02:20 PM
You don't need t change your PSN ID [User name], I would change your password though as soon as possible.

What I would like to know is if the PSN has been down for a week, and the official Sony Playstation forums are linked to the PSN, they to should be unable to be logged onto and posted at, just viewable, which has been the case for me.
But I notice that there are 4 or 5 people that have still manage to post there over this time, and they are not moderators or admins.
Also I know of two people in Sweden that have been able to connect to the PSN and update their trophy stats, although they have said it has been tortuously slow for them to do so.

Honestly Sony, I don't know why you just don't cut out the middle man and just move all the servers to Nigeria, at least we would KNOW where we stood if that were the case.
A total Fiasco

By the way Amplicated, it's not duty of care [that's for alcohol service] , it's due diligence regarding the safety of the personal information.
And NOT having it encrypted on their servers is going to get them in big trouble.

mic-dk
27th April 2011, 03:03 PM
Blaming any hacker(s) for compromising user data forgets that Sony has a duty to care for the user data provided to them for a service. There's always a risk of being compromised, and Sony did not do enough to protect users.

While I largely agree with you (but still thinks whoever did this, anon-/OtherOS affiliated or not, is big fsckin w*nker!), I just don't think that position is defensible. Sure, IMHO Sony acted down-right negligent, but even if I don't lock my house, it doesn't make it OK for anyone to just walk in and take whatever they want.

The whole "they took our OtherOS so now we steal from +70 mill users or at least wreck their network" is getting old real fast.

God, I can't believe I'm actually starting to side with Big Bad Sony. I must be either getting old or drunk... :D

MetaKraken
27th April 2011, 03:26 PM
Here's the news (with link) (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=197434#post197434).

*sigh* I'm very distraught about seeing that PSN was hacked...

ion harvest
27th April 2011, 04:24 PM
^^ lol. Links to a dead thread.

I like my PSN so I'm not going to change it but I cancelled my card anyway. Better to be safe than stung I say.

I might sell the PS3 now anyway. I want a DS3 3D is pretty good for a portable. Mariokart yes win win win.

MENGKESHI
27th April 2011, 04:44 PM
Yeah I did the same!

No way gonna get rid of the ps3 though! Especially if there is gonna be another wipeout... :D

amplificated
27th April 2011, 04:58 PM
... it doesn't make it OK for anyone to just walk in and take whatever they want.

I know, but to say that you expect every person in the world to be an upstanding citizen in your definition of the term is perhaps a little bit of wishful thinking.

This is virtually the equivalent of giving your money and details to a bank, and all of that is stored in the bank's managerial office, secured by a simple lock. The reason why it hasn't already been stolen is because nobody ever thought a bank could ever be so stupid.

Again, if you're taking people's money, you have a duty of care to ensure that your customer's details are kept confidential. Sony just threw them behind a door they foolishly never expected to be breached, so they just left everything in plain view. It's gross negligence, and if you knew your bank did that, they wouldn't be your bank for much longer; and if the only way you found out about this practise was because they released a statement saying everything they have has been stolen... well.

The whole "they took our OtherOS so now we steal from +70 mill users or at least wreck their network" is getting old real fast.

I can't believe anyone expected that excuse to be taken at face value. Everyone who said it just wanted free games.

27th April 2011, 06:30 PM
anyone else started getting psn emails? are they genuine?

has a link to something called psnoutage?
ill put a screen cap up in a sec

FirstDave
27th April 2011, 06:40 PM
I.ve had one email from them today which just explained the sutuation.Most of which i already knew.It also had the link to psnoutage which all looked ok.I believe its genuine.:D

Dave.:P

27th April 2011, 06:45 PM
well the link is to a site called eu.playstation?

when i google that its not a top search. you've got UK.playstation or EN.playstation

anyway here it is. sorry if its a little hard to read, you can just make it out at the bottom, dunno what to make of it /psnoutage seems a bit dodgy
anyway straight to delete it goes :g

FirstDave
27th April 2011, 06:52 PM
Yes UK and my emails from them are eu.there is also a statement on the ps blog saying that today they would be contacting all registered users with the email and showed the email which is identical to the one i got.Also none of the emails aked for anything at all and just give the info.I,m sure most people on here with a ps will have had one by now.

Dave.:D

27th April 2011, 06:54 PM
ahh well. better to be safe than sorry. still seems a bit funny that they say "we will not contact you by email" in the email :lol

Frailavi
27th April 2011, 07:02 PM
amplificated, you keep my hopes up. At least someone else understands what is actually happening and isn't blowing this out of proportion.

But I have a question for you since you seem more knowledgeable in this area than I am. Do you think the only users who might have had their CC's compromised are users with PS+? From what I can logically guess is CC's aren't tied to accounts (server-side at least) unless there's a regularly occurring payment of sorts. What do you think?

amplificated
27th April 2011, 07:41 PM
I don't think there's any more risk for + subscribers than regular users who have used their CC information. I don't have it myself, but I'm pretty sure the subscription is payed for from the billing details you provide your account, as is normal.

The credit cards should not have been accessible at all if Sony was using industry standard practises, but if they weren't and if you had your CC's details saved on your account for easy purchasing, that CC will be compromised. I don't think it matters if the CC was used regularly or not. I'm not sure if Sony deleted your CC details from their end if you chose to not save your info, either.

Frailavi
27th April 2011, 09:49 PM
Alright, thanks for the reply. I still thought the "easy billing" was saved locally though, suppose I learned something new.

Either way, I'm pretty sure the most that will happen out of this is users will need to change their passwords, email accounts will get more spam, and Sony's reputation will take a nose dive while the Xbox users get a 1up on the PS3 in the console wars.

Can't wait for the PSN to get back up though, I do want to try and get a few races in online before I get too rusty.

kanar
27th April 2011, 11:46 PM
Crisis situation imho, http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/ars-readers-report-credit-card-fraud-blame-sony.ars (or just search for the words "psn credit card" on google news...)

I'm asking for a replacement card tomorrow, more & more alarming news all over the world OMG. Sorry to sound alarming but it can't be a simple coincidence there; Australia, US, Spain... The most dramatic thing is; (if it's confirmed) if you bought something on the psn, your CC is compromised. GAH.

blackwiggle
28th April 2011, 12:48 AM
At the moment I think it's just a bit of a coincidence that people are reporting CC theft, it's probably due to usage through some other store.
The affected people probably only started really checking their accounts due to the warning Sony issued.
With 70+ million PSN users your going to have some people that are victims of CC fraud despite having their CC info stored on the Sony servers.

Here's a classic example of how this sort of stuff happens, say you have kids, and one of the kids in the house answers the phone, the fraudster ask for some CC details and the kid gives them to them, BING, your stuffed and none the wiser.

Some could stupidly be doing financial transactions over a mobile phone or wireless internet at a rest/store, internet cafe etc, all notorious for this sort of thing.

I mean you also have the common practice in the USA where kids are given their parents CC to go and purchase things, or a wife can use her husbands CC [or the other way around] and nobody batters an eyelid, not exactly secure financial practices, that sure doesn't happen in Australia, the UK and most of Europe would probable be the same unless common sense has disappeared.

jesse9705
28th April 2011, 12:51 AM
alright, if any of my location or email or detail's like that are compromised, they can't do much since im like 13, but still, if i find out they have used any of my detail's i will find them and give them a serious beating......
stupid hackerz.....

blackwiggle
28th April 2011, 12:58 AM
Sony just announced that change of password will be mandatory when PSN goes back out.
http://www.psu.com/Want-to-change-your-PSN-password-Sony-will-make-it-mandatory---a011473-p0.php

Aeroracer
28th April 2011, 01:52 AM
this is as bad as when tkmaxx computer got hacked they lost 4 million credit card details and they were fined heavily as they were found not to have internal firewalls on their network so anyone who could hack inot a store pc could bypass everything and hack inot there main computer..

i hope no one has their credit card used or their identity stolen..

i hope sont does something nice for all it members who have suffered as a result or these hackers:)

jesse9705
28th April 2011, 07:15 AM
well i think sony should make up for it by letting customer's get 2 game's for free, and i mean any game

slow-train
28th April 2011, 08:39 AM
i reckon sony has lost enough money this past week, giving away 140 million free games just isnt gonna happen! i'll just be happy to log in to the network again,say hi to my online buds,n get back to online racing!:rock

MegaGeeza22
28th April 2011, 09:07 AM
Lets just hope sonys servers dont crash when 70 Million people all sign in at the same time :lol

Temet
28th April 2011, 11:23 AM
I'm asking for a replacement card tomorrow

I'll do it in a few days also I think, just to feel safe.
No way I give my CC number to Sony again!

blackwiggle
28th April 2011, 11:49 AM
I think I'll wait a day or so after the PSN come back online.
If Sony are smart [god knows they need to do something right] they will stagger turning back on the PSN by areas, otherwise I can see an almighty crash happening once people realize it's back up.

The PSN is going to be as fast as a striking sea slug anyway for the first few days, as everybody is going to need to download the new system software, change their passwords and sync their trophies, times that by 70 million.

Frailavi
28th April 2011, 12:33 PM
I think majority of those claims are purely through paranoia. CC fraud happens everyday all over the world, now they just have someone (or something) to pin it on who can't defend themselves. I personally think people should stop turning their backs on Sony in their current state. Like blackwiggle said, people only checked because of what happened. Hell, I'm sure some people are expecting "compensation" as well which will lead to more claims. Not to mention anyone who has stolen a CC before and has been having trouble finding a good time to use it just hit the jackpot.

We'll see as time goes on. If someone really hacked PSN for CC info, they wouldn't buy a plane ticket to Germany. That's so easy for someone to trace back to them after doing something like, let's say, hacking PSN.

Of course I'm still checking my account on a regular basis. Even so, my email/password combination and the card used for my PSN are hardly worth hacking, so I'm still in the clear.

MegaGeeza22
28th April 2011, 12:43 PM
It looks like your credit cards could be safe after all... the info was encrypted!
I knew sony weren't complete fools...
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/04/28/psn-outage-security-details-update/

kanar
28th April 2011, 04:56 PM
yeah I really thought Sony was totally insane yesterday, hence my paranoid post, sorry guys lol. Hopefully, CC datas were encrypted, and as Frailavi & BW said it's not as worse as it looked yesterday & the day before... Havn't cancelled my CC yet, just checkin carefully my transactions. Changing my passwords everywhere was pain in the ass, but it was something necessary anyway, even without the psn gate. Just hope everything will go back to normal asap now... I'm worried for Sony though, economically & for their public image.

Temet
28th April 2011, 06:08 PM
Yeah, same here too, feel better now I know it was encrypted! :)

mdhay
28th April 2011, 06:20 PM
well i think sony should make up for it by letting customer's get 2 game's for free, and i mean any game

No. You don't pay for the PSN, so you shouldn't expect anything for free.

ion harvest
28th April 2011, 06:53 PM
You can expect Sony to take there sweet ass time fixing this. And that's all u can expect.

amplificated
29th April 2011, 12:58 AM
Just because CC data is claimed to have been encrypted, doesn't exactly mean it's safe. I have a friend who has shown me that many weak encryption methods can be broken in seconds, even for passwords that would be considered solid.

Sony hasn't, as reported in this BBC article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13231307), declared what type of encryption they used. I wouldn't feel too safe as of yet, unfortunately.

blackwiggle
29th April 2011, 02:38 AM
I saw a report in a Sony blog saying Sony were not only rewriting the software side of server, but were also physically moving their servers to far more secure place.
I guess the security company brought in gave them a full report of all the places they need to address security issues.
That's going to be a big job.
They have to find somewhere to house them, rewire the place and make sure it has uninterruptable power supplies, disassemble the servers from the old place[s], move then securely and then reinstall in the new place, and then reconfigure and test it all before putting the PSN back up.:eek

They still would have an easier time than I've had over the last 1.5 days clean installing windows and trying to get video drivers to work.:brickwall :lol

OT: Firefox 4 is up, really nice, but needs a bit more configuring than previous versions, still can't import my favourites/passwords saved from previous set up though which is a bit of a pain.

kanar
29th April 2011, 10:19 AM
ok that's enough. I've cancelled my CC this morning, I'm tired now of these awful rumors days after days... I paid 18€ but I won't send the bill to Sony lol, I'm not kicking someone when he's down. I really should do that though, but looks like they're reaally down these days.

Constrictor
29th April 2011, 04:17 PM
I saw a report in a Sony blog saying Sony were not only rewriting the software side of server, but were also physically moving their servers to far more secure place.
I guess the security company brought in gave them a full report of all the places they need to address security issues.
That's going to be a big job.

I doubt that by physical they mean physically move the servers to another DC hoster/place. They'll just utilize the big pipes and provision the servers when the SW regression tests finished. I hope that Sony is able to handle that in a secure way. Anyway, this won't close the security gap by a big margin - IMO. I think I read something on social engineering to gain access ...

"Don't they know that the only unhackable computer is one that's running Solaris, welded inside a steel safe, buried under a ton of concrete at the bottom of a coal mine guarded by the SAS and a couple of armoured divisions, and switched off?"

Medusa
29th April 2011, 04:29 PM
I don't know if this is totally standard credit card procedure, but all my credit cards have 100% fraud protection. I keep a close eye on charges anyway, so while I'm worried I'll have to deal with a problem when/if it occurs, there's no way I'm going to go order a new card if nothing is happening anyway.

I recommend to anyone to read your credit card terms and benefits before going through a lot of headache trying to replace cards.

Also, while everyone is all-out bashing Sony about this security hack, don't forget that about 2 weeks ago, user information from major online companies including PayPal was stolen directly from their servers. While I understand that only User ID's and email addresses were obtained, that is still rather unnerving, as I for one have always assumed (ass u me) that Paypal would have one of the most secure sites, period.
While I can't seem to find the news article, just look what popped up as I looked:
http://www.cardingplanet.com/stolen-verified-paypal-accounts.htm

So really, while this is a huge mess-up for Sony, I hope people realize that this sort of thing is going on all the time, and we should be watching our backs and covering our butts all the time, not just with "evil Sony".

blackwiggle
30th April 2011, 12:23 AM
Rather ironic that you put that link up to stolen PayPal accounts as I just changed the password on mine yesterday.:D
Actually I've been going though every different sort of account, and internet forum that I engage with that requires a password, and making sure the ones that can involve any financial transaction are not even remotely similar, just in case.

I feel for the new head of Sony.
The day after he takes over Japan gets hit with the earthquake/tsunami, and now a month later this happens.
They say bad things come in 3's, what possible disaster could befall Sony now?

Somebody posted about how it's possible to play online with your PS3 without the need to go on the PSN.
I finally managed to find what the program is called and how to set it up.
It requires a PC and some software, it's all legit and doesn't hack your console or anything like that, it works for other consoles as well that were able to be linked.
Online V's mode with wipeout/2097/WO3/Fusion anybody?
http://teamxlink.co.uk/

Or XBSlink which does the same thing.
http://forums.qj.net/ps3-news/173026-xbslink-play-ps3-game-online-without-psn.html
Youtube Video of it in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37BlkHbOdeQ&feature=player_embedded

EDIT:
I hope this report is wrong.
Credit card details stolen form PSN being sold.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109661-Hackers-Offer-PSN-Credit-Cards-For-Sale

MegaGeeza22
1st May 2011, 06:19 AM
Did anyone see the sony press conference this morning?
They are giving everyone 30days ps+ for free.
BUT, they wont be giving it to people who slagged sony off, over these last 2 weeks jk.
So i will be beating you all on Wipeout by the end of the week:D
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/01/some-psn-services-to-return-this-week/

mdhay
1st May 2011, 09:07 AM
Right, so the network will be up soon?

MegaGeeza22
1st May 2011, 10:06 AM
:| Did you look at the link?
psn will be back up this week but the playstation store and other services might take longer...
Its all in the link

mdhay
1st May 2011, 10:33 AM
I did not, no. Sorry. :(

icarasDragon
1st May 2011, 12:26 PM
I've got a few trophies to sync-up, what tantalizes me is what content are they selecting for free downloading?, and are they thinking of adding more features thatn a security patch in the next firmware update? (I also like it that they are enticing people to PS+ subsciption with a thirty day free trial, good marketing Sony :) )

Colonel
1st May 2011, 12:26 PM
Cracking stuff, cheers Geeza. I'm away all week but I'm looking forward to a massive sesh when I get back :)

Edit - Quick question. Sorry if this sounds dumb, but will the PSN outage have affected the accuracy of the Wipeout leaderboards at all? I ask because since the network went down I've improved nearly 150 of my times / scores (some of them by huge margins) and I'd be gutted if it wasn't reflected on the PSN boards.

MegaGeeza22
1st May 2011, 01:40 PM
I believe all offline activity on Wipeout or any other game will be ok and should sync when you look at the leaderboards because you have it saved on your console.
I hope 1 of the games sony give away is Wipeout! online would be amazing!

greenymac
1st May 2011, 03:02 PM
I have done a few speedlaps, but most of the time I've been doing phantom elite and trying to just get better at item management. I feel like I have improved but I wont truly know until I can get a few good online sessions under my belt. But, I am getting quite bored pounding the elite cpu...The only way they can beat me now is if I completely ---- up, or I get maimed with item spam, except for chenghou project which I just fail at completely and fight like a cornered dog just to beat them by a couple seconds. For the life of me I just can't come to grips with chenghou forward. That track just leaves a crapstain on my ego.

Colonel
1st May 2011, 03:25 PM
I think the last couple of weeks have helped me to improve so much overall, it really has been a Godsend to be honest. Can't wait to get back online now.

mdhay
1st May 2011, 07:19 PM
I hope 1 of the games sony give away is Wipeout! online would be amazing!

The only games that Sony would give away are those you can get free on a Plus subscription, so no.

greenymac
1st May 2011, 07:31 PM
I got wipeout hd free with my ps plus subscription in July of last year so that wouldn't be totally out of bounds. I just wish I actually played it before March of this year. BTW tro get wipeout hd for free you had to live in the US and subscribe to ps plus for a year.

MegaGeeza22
1st May 2011, 08:26 PM
I think it was free in the uk too and the Fury dlc was half price, im not sure though... but it would be good if 70million people get it for free!!
I think there will just be a few full game trials (1 hour demos) knowing sony...
but im not complaining :P

mdhay
1st May 2011, 10:17 PM
It came out for free? o_O

amplificated
1st May 2011, 10:26 PM
I've read this, for all people concerned about getting a new credit card:

Hirai said that no improper CC usage has been reported and they have no evidence of CC info being compromised. They said that Sony will pay for CC reissuing and assist with monitoring/insurance programs for customers. If there are any improper charges, they will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Taken from this (http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/h1anz/key_points_from_the_sony_conference/) reddit thread, which provides bullet points of a recent Sony conference.

So, people like Kanar who have changed their CC should ask Sony for a refund if they want.

blackwiggle
2nd May 2011, 01:27 AM
I can't help being cynical about Sony's announcement of giving away 30 days free Plus+ subscription.

I see it as being done as a test to see what damage to consumer confidence this fiasco has been, your not actually getting anything, as you will have to pay $$ to become a Plus+ subscriber if you want to actually keep anything you download during those free 30 days.

So Sony will be monitoring who, how many and which regions people are removing their details and abandoning online purchases via their CC.
Remember, it's a lot easier to make a impulse purchase by just adding funds to your wallet via CC than it is to buy pre paid cards, and that is what Sony wants, and I think has been relying on in revenue projections.
I know I've been guilty of doing it in the past, so have a lot of other PS3 owners I know.
They got over AUS$300 in one hit for me once like that when I decided to purchase every bit of LBP DLC while bored and inebriated. :redface::rolleyes:

mic-dk
2nd May 2011, 04:23 AM
Well you're not the only one guilty of that offence. I've bought several smaller games in the 10-20€ range, some I enjoyed, others I played for 2 hours and then abandoned.

It's those kind of games Sony will never sell me again.

MegaGeeza22
2nd May 2011, 06:23 AM
It came out for free? o_O

yes... Google is your friend. but as it was free before i doubt it will be free again :frown:

Its good of Sony to reimburse the charges that it cost to change your credit cards.
But i suppose they have to lol, otherwise there would still be bad feelings.
I think 80% will use psn cards now, i know i will.

Constrictor
2nd May 2011, 09:10 AM
[..]
I think I read something on social engineering to gain access ...
[..]

Well, no that's obviously not what happened.

btw, I'm tired of Racebox now. :blarg On the other hand I hope - but do not believe - the WOHD server admin guy used the outage to fix the leaderboards.

Aeroracer
2nd May 2011, 04:24 PM
psn + is garbage and totaly worthless.all the garbage and crap they give away for free on it stops working when the cash flow stops.i was a member of it.
i would much rather give money and buy the big issue of a tramp as thats also total crap too but at least a tramp gets a dinner and you did a good deed.
sony giving out free membership to psn +as way of compentsation is like giving away out of date food to people who are not hungry.

MegaGeeza22
2nd May 2011, 05:16 PM
lol jasmin, why be so negative?
weve had a weeks break from PS3 which isnt such a bad thing and we are getting a game or 2 to download for a month free... Sony didn't have to give us anything.

Dark_Phantom_89
2nd May 2011, 06:59 PM
At least Sony have acknowledged that they are in the wrong by giving out free subscriptions. I'll hold judgement on the offer until I see exactly what's available. If it's a bunch of games that are outdated or had poor sales then it won't exactly be great, but at least it's something.

As for HD, this outage has allowed me to take a break from it. I've barely played at all during the outage as offline isn't really my thing.

Aeroracer
2nd May 2011, 09:12 PM
@mega....a weeks break might be good for you..not so good for players who like me bought an online game the day it went down and are still waiting to go online to try it out....

Also sony do have to give us something as they failed to look after our credit details and they are the ones that shut down the network but not because of that it was because they thought someone was getting downloads for free..

plus sony still owe all of us for spamming wipeout with their crappy comercials that slowed down loading..nothing worse than getting blown off the track and you got to sit through a gilette advert or some ad for a really crap film.

but ill wait and see..hopefully sony will make me eat my words and surprise me..i love when im wrong in cases like these.:)

Frailavi
2nd May 2011, 11:24 PM
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/05/02/a-second-breach-of-sonys-internet-security/

Now you guys have a reason to be worried if you live in Europe and have been around since 2007.

mic-dk
3rd May 2011, 05:47 AM
Fortunately I think most card issued in, or rather before, 2007 have expired by now.

lolsony :lol

(oh and I'll join the crowd that thinks a 30 day free PSN+ is a downright insult)

MegaGeeza22
3rd May 2011, 06:06 AM
Also sony do have to give us something as they failed to look after our credit details and they are the ones that shut down the network but not because of that it was because they thought someone was getting downloads for free..

I hate to say this, but i actually agree with you for once lol. I never thought of it like this.
I just hope they do have some good gear for us!
Soon it will be time for the next generation of console and sony should do something to keep there customers happy!

OBH
3rd May 2011, 11:47 AM
GREAT! While trying to move the ps3 into the other room seeing as psns down, i somehow snapped the hdmi cable and now the connector is stuck in the tv.

just to add insult to injury there.

mdhay
3rd May 2011, 01:49 PM
Have you tried using a pair of tweezers?

OBH
3rd May 2011, 03:42 PM
What muppet do you take me for? :)
There's nothing to grab. Its totally snapped off.

mdhay
3rd May 2011, 05:06 PM
Not a muppet at all. That's a bad situation, don't know what you could do about that one, is there no way you could shake it loose?

mic-dk
3rd May 2011, 05:18 PM
You obviously just plug your new HDMI cable into one of the other HDMI ports in your TV :nod

Seriously, that sucks OBH!

Hellfire_WZ
3rd May 2011, 05:48 PM
Just a quick note, the second breach was on the Sony Online Entertainment service, a separate entity to the PSN

Frailavi
3rd May 2011, 07:20 PM
Just a quick note, the second breach was on the Sony Online Entertainment service, a separate entity to the PSN

Well yeah, but it doesn't make it any less ballsy when they already have like 7 agencies working to catch whoever hacked the PSN.

I also heard that of the 77million users that about 10million CC's were leaked maybe from the PSN attack. So even though they're not completely admitting to it, there's about a 1 in 7 chance that a PSN users CC was stolen.

greenymac
3rd May 2011, 08:37 PM
I thought some online functionality would be returned today... I've been waiting...

Dark_Phantom_89
3rd May 2011, 08:54 PM
I think that the May 3rd date was just a rumour that spiralled a bit out of control and people started taking it seriously. Personally I won't be surprised if it's not up by this week at all. Sony may have to contend with a lot more problems, not to mention extensive testing of the new servers to ensure that they can meet their requirements.

greenymac
3rd May 2011, 09:25 PM
I've been patient for 2 weeks, now its startin to become a bit of an annoyance...

Dark_Phantom_89
3rd May 2011, 10:49 PM
I can definitely sympathise with you there Greeny - it sure is becoming an increasing nuisance as the days go on.

OBH - If you need a new HDMI Cable, don't bother with those expensice "premium" ones. I got mine for £7 from ASDA and it does the job perfectly.

slimjim
3rd May 2011, 11:17 PM
i just want it to be online so i can change my password and things

Darkdrium777
4th May 2011, 04:40 AM
I'd rather they wait for a week-end to turn it back on. Sure it would put more strain on the server but considering we talk about security, more people would be able to change their passwords on a week-end than say... Wednesday at 1 PM...

blackwiggle
4th May 2011, 09:02 AM
GREAT! While trying to move the ps3 into the other room seeing as psns down, i somehow snapped the hdmi cable and now the connector is stuck in the tv.

Turn off the TV and un plug it from the wall, let it sit for a few minutes, then get a pair of needle nosed pliers and remove the plug that way.
If you leave the broken plug in the set there is a possibility that you will short out your TV at worse, or scramble the inputs selection at least.

It must of been a extremely cheap and dodgy HDMI cable for that to happen, or your on steroids. ;)

icarasDragon
5th May 2011, 06:58 AM

...Just how?!
must have been a really cheap cable for it to snap the cord, those cords can get pretty thick and can be impossible to break on a good connector

Unless there were strength boosting drugs involved... :twisted

boxerboy
6th May 2011, 09:21 AM

Clearly there was a miscommunication with Seal 6 and they got your bruvva haydemy'n.

Sorry. That was just stupid. Very frustrated here with lack of psn.

OBH
6th May 2011, 12:01 PM
proper cheapo hdmi let me tell you :)
no strength enhancing drugs im afraid :beer

RJ O'Connell
6th May 2011, 10:14 PM
This thread really should be moved into General Discussion, because it affects more than just WOHD.

Aeroracer
6th May 2011, 10:20 PM
lol...

i wonder when psn will be back..im missing not going online there are people i havnt talked to for two weeks i wonder what there up to..obviously not on psn for sure..

slow-train
6th May 2011, 11:08 PM
This thread really should be moved into General Discussion, because it affects more than just WOHD.
in my experience most of the elite wipeout hd racers only really play a few games,n thats how they got so good! so i think this post is fine where it is n exactly where it belongs
:clap

MegaGeeza22
6th May 2011, 11:53 PM
Stupid F****** hackers!!!!!
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/06/hackers-planning-new-attack-this-weekend/
If i ever see or find a hacker i would be the last face they ever see.....
Go hack a porn site... then give me the passwords lol.
If i was sony i would sue these idiots for loss of earnings and make sure they never get internet again!!!

greenymac
7th May 2011, 12:27 AM
just ridiculous...

Frailavi
7th May 2011, 01:07 AM
Stupid F****** hackers!!!!!
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/06/hackers-planning-new-attack-this-weekend/
If i ever see or find a hacker i would be the last face they ever see.....
Go hack a porn site... then give me the passwords lol.
If i was sony i would sue these idiots for loss of earnings and make sure they never get internet again!!!

As much as the situation is incredibly annoying and these apparent hackers are ridiculous. Grouping all of them into the same category as "stupid ****ing hackers" is on par with hacking the PSN a third time.

Also, if Sony, with the help of about 7 US agencies and 3 security firms, can't find them then how in the world would they sue them?

Lighten up, you act like they've taken your firstborn from you. Just let Sony take care of their problems and support them when they need it. Throwing a fit isn't helping anyone. If anything, these next batch of hackers will probably find it funny.

JABBERJAW
7th May 2011, 01:16 AM
these idiots who plant viruses into your computers, and perform stunts like this sony thing need punishment. They do this because there is none. Put some away for a very long time, then it may slow down. Why don't these people get jobs, I am assuming this is a difficult thing to do, seems like they could benefit society rather than cause chaos. the only people they help out are PC repairmen

boxerboy
7th May 2011, 08:09 AM
It only does oft-lying!

I've had it worse than any of you. My PS3 actually ylod'd in the *middle* of the network crash. Like a tool, I just ran out and got a Slim, sure, but now there's nought I can do with it.

Can't access games I've purchased because PSN is down.

Can't restore my old games because PSN is down and some retarded DRM software engineering tool thought it would be a good idea that to restore your system there needs to be a bloody link to your PSN account through 'system activation'.

Hence, can't play Wipeout. I'm sitting here playing single player Motorstorm, which isn't bad, but isn't the experience I originally purchased. Serious withdrawal here. :(

MegaGeeza22
7th May 2011, 09:00 AM
Frailavi.... lighten up? i wouldnt go as far as to say i was throwing a fit, i find it ridiculous that hackers who work for free just want to interfere... what joy do they get? sitting there pointing at there pc monitor saying "It was me, it was me" lol... sad.
If you have sympathy for these new hackers who want to make your details public just say it.
So im just as bad as these hackers because i call them stupid?
What is your opinion of these new hackers?
I hope i dont see your details posted on some random website.... ;)

Jav
7th May 2011, 09:29 AM
Frailavi.... lighten up? i wouldnt go as far as to say i was throwing a fit, i find it ridiculous that hackers who work for free just want to interfere... what joy do they get? sitting there pointing at there pc monitor saying "It was me, it was me" lol... sad.
If you have sympathy for these new hackers who want to make your details public just say it.
So im just as bad as these hackers because i call them stupid?
What is your opinion of these new hackers?
I hope i dont see your details posted on some random website.... ;)

That's not what Frailavi was saying. He in fact said that these apparent hackers are ridiculous, but you can't group them all into the same category. Anonymous for example aren't out to cause trouble, they fight for customer rights. It may still have been one of the guys involved with Anonymous, but they simply may not know. But I'm sure it wasn't an organized attack by Anonymous.

Of course he doesn't want to have his credit card details appear on some website. :?

People are getting way frustrated over this. By the way, it will be back next week. My guess is next wednesday.

MegaGeeza22
7th May 2011, 09:45 AM
Any hacker that wants to publish our personal details is stupid...
My first comment was meant to be light hearted... i even joked about them giving me some porn passwords lol, hackers who just want to fight for our rights is still wrong in my opinion, if there hacks dont affect millions of people thats ok but these hackers just want to cause grief...
I never said all hackers are stupid... i posted a link about the hackers that were "stupid"

amplificated
7th May 2011, 12:10 PM
these idiots who plant viruses into your computers, and perform stunts like this sony thing need punishment.

Oh, the irony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal).

mic-dk
7th May 2011, 08:19 PM
Anonymous for example aren't out to cause trouble, they fight for customer rights.

:lol That's just too funny!

It took me 15 seconds to find this (http://www.news.com.au/technology/anonymous-attack-targets-epilepsy-sufferers/story-e6frfro0-1111115935811) Don't try to make them out as some freedom fightin' consumer watchdogs, because they really are not. That they partly originated on 4chan should tell you exactly what kind of people they are.

I don't know who wrecked PSN - it doesn't really matter anyhow. I'll never trust Sony with any electronic information again.

Frailavi
8th May 2011, 04:20 AM
This community is the only one that I've seen that respects each other and everyone is laid back. Don't let this get the better of you. Look at the bright side. I mean, really, just look outside; it's quite bright out there.

I apologize Mega if my reply seemed harsh. I might have read yours in the wrong tone, as I believe you might have for mine as well. No hard feelings mate!

But mic-dk, can you name an organization or company that's never done anything wrong? Granted anonymous often does it for no reason, but we don't blindly support anonymous, we just support them when we think it's right. Being organized from 4Chan means nothing. If anything, it just shows they don't have any real agenda behind their actions.

PS. You got my back Jav, hi5

mic-dk
8th May 2011, 07:09 AM
I'm pretty sure no organisation is pure in the eyes of the Lord, but you can't seriously compare them to e.g Red Cross? Anon wasn't exactly founded with charity in mind. The only analogy I can come up with at the moment is the creation of the german autobahns, but you'll then be able to invoke Godwin and I'll lose by default ;)

Simply because you in this case agree with their action, doesn't make them more right. You write yourself that they have no particular agenda - I absolutely agree. It just kinda clashes with your trying to paint then as Defenders of Consumers Everywhere.

I'll go outside now and mow my lawn - it'll be a lot easier to keep the neighbourhood kids of it once they can't hide in the bushes :D

MegaGeeza22
8th May 2011, 07:27 AM
Look at the bright side. I mean, really, just look outside; it's quite bright out there. it will be in a couple of hours hopefully :D
Of course theres no hard feelings! you can say what you like lol but how can you back a group that has inflicted epileptic fits onto people? those people could of died and for what? Its the same dude pointing at his pc monitor laughing "it was me, it was me" Pathetic.
Give us some info about the good things that they have done!

New news :mad:
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/08/hackers-post-2500-users-details-sony-removes-them/

Frailavi
8th May 2011, 08:11 AM
@mic Haha, give those poor kids somewhere to stay!

Well I believe that anonymous doesn't have an agenda (aka only do something until it's no longer interesting) and isn't the defenders of anything, except wiki-leaks maybe. But it doesn't mean they haven't started a project with good intentions, even if that means using underhanded methods to try and accomplish it.

Not even sure why we're talking about them right now to be honest.

@Mega Good to know we can have a light hearted discussion then.

Chris Forcand
War on Scientology
Iranian Election
Didgeridie
WikiLeaks in general
Egypt Protests

I looked some of them up. But most of them were pretty obvious.

So they've helped arrest a child molester, assisted the Egyptian people (even if it had little effect they did something) in forcing their president to step down, and most of all attack anyone trying to censor the internet.

I know they've probably done just as many socially unacceptable things as well, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ever side with them.

Aeroracer
8th May 2011, 02:03 PM
:lol That's just too funny!

It took me 15 seconds to find this (http://www.news.com.au/technology/anonymous-attack-targets-epilepsy-sufferers/story-e6frfro0-1111115935811) Don't try to make them out as some freedom fightin' consumer watchdogs, because they really are not. That they partly originated on 4chan should tell you exactly what kind of people they are.

i just read this link and anon dont sound like people who are looking out for our best interests.

they seem more like a group of individuals who compete with each other for forum fame in how big or funny a hack they can do where we are just fooder for their hacking activitys..

8th May 2011, 03:02 PM
if it doesn't come back online in the next few days, all my mates will go back to uni and there goes portal 2 co-op, i wont be buying any new games and i need the money for when i start uni in a few months so may just sell it, :blarg

still got my ps1 and ill have to find a copy of WO3:SE ;)

leungbok
8th May 2011, 03:08 PM
anon dont sound like people who are looking out for our best interests
Best proof is when those guys decide by themselves what are our interests ! :rolleyes:
Pretty sick people who wants to be famous under the name anonymous :lol

mic-dk
8th May 2011, 08:08 PM
Hah, yeah exactly. How the average PSN user is better off by having his/her details stolen is beyond me.

Ah well, it was a nice day in my garden :p

MegaGeeza22
8th May 2011, 08:17 PM
@Mega Good to know we can have a light hearted discussion then.

Chris Forcand
War on Scientology
Iranian Election
Didgeridie
WikiLeaks in general
Egypt Protests

I looked some of them up. But most of them were pretty obvious.

So they've helped arrest a child molester, assisted the Egyptian people (even if it had little effect they did something) in forcing their president to step down, and most of all attack anyone trying to censor the internet.

I know they've probably done just as many socially unacceptable things as well, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ever side with them.
No problem... im just glad that you dont try to get me banned because i dont agree with you, unlike some people....
I do agree with you about hackers exposing child molesterers and other similar things so yes not all hackers are bad, but these psn hackers just do it for the lulz and theres no reason for them to do it no matter how much they try to justify it.

Aeroracer
8th May 2011, 09:18 PM
i spoke to some guy on the net he can hack and knows many bigtime hackers who do hacking jobs for cash..he said anon basically do what they want when they want..they serve themselves and have no agenda or values just whatever takes there fancy and earns them brownie points with their peers.

i believe if anon are involved with the psn hack they will eventually be caught and dealt with..might take time but i think they have overstpepped the mark and the authorities wont be able to let it go...

blackwiggle
9th May 2011, 01:17 AM
Looks like the PSN now won't be back up until the end of May from this report.:frown:
http://gamercrypt.com/content.php?377-Sony-mentions-full-system-reboot-could-take-until-end-of-month

What new talent can you teach yourself over 3 weeks?

I've got some new Lynda.com video tutorials for Adobe Photoshop CS5/PremiereCS5/Affter effects CS5 I'll be watching.
I suppose I could watch those ad get used to the new layout/features even though I can't run the programs yet.
[waiting for PC components to complete a new build]

Frailavi
9th May 2011, 02:49 AM
Yeah, I figured next week would've been way too soon to finish a project this big and test it to any degree.

I hope they don't rush it so it'll have to go in maintenance every other day until Christmas though.

@Mega Yeah, I don't deny that anonymous isn't looking out for everyone. I'm sure anything 'good' they do is because one of their own is effected or it's just where the spotlight is at the time. Either way, I really doubt they hacked the PSN for peoples info. There are way too many of them that would blab their mouth off about it and how 'awesome it was'.

MegaGeeza22
9th May 2011, 10:38 AM
lol blackwiggle... that is a long time lol, Brink is out on friday :frown: i was really hoping it would be fixed by then.
Iv been downloading star trek voyager, its my favourite star trek and this fills in alot of those empty hours...

Avenger2197
9th May 2011, 01:50 PM
Of course when I get the bug to play my fellow wipers again, this happens. It's just pure stupidity at this point. But, at least I can get back in shape as far as racing goes. i hope the people responsible are caught soon.

I will see people on the tracks as soon as the servers are back up!

Aeroracer
9th May 2011, 02:33 PM
is it me or is it that sony PR have really been crap in the way they have handled this situation by way of information they have released and the way they have or in nearly all cases not communicated with their customers..

apart from links here which other meembers have posted im clueless to whats going on..maybe its me maybe its not..what do other players think...:)

amplificated
9th May 2011, 02:44 PM
That's kinda funny, as earlier I was thinking that Sony has done a decent job considering what's happened; other than their uncertainty of credit card details being stolen or not in the initial hack.

I don't think there's much more they could be doing. I may be wrong there, but from what I can tell, it seems the damage has already been done, and Sony is doing a serviceable job of repairing their mistakes. It doesn't make their mistakes (embarrassingly abysmal protection schemes) any lesser, and I wouldn't expect a company to be doing any less than what they are doing, but yeah... there's just not a lot more I know of that they could be doing.

greenymac
9th May 2011, 02:50 PM
I think the PR has been the worst part, so it's not just you. Much of the anger towards SONY could've been made into more anger at the hackers and more sympathy for SONY if played correctly through their blogs and senior leadership... But it seems that SONY didn't even have a contingency plan for something of this nature, which seems stupid because of the things that have been happening over the last 6-9 months(ps3's being cracked etc.) Basically they're playing this by ear and it shows. This is a huge blackeye for SONY and it couldn't have come at a worse time seeing as we're about a month out from E3 and nintendo has recently announced a successor to the wii. But E3 could also be a way to help SONY save/mend it's image a bit. Either way it's disastrous and highly embarassing for such a giant in the industry to be brought to it's knees by hackers.:paperbag

slow-train
9th May 2011, 04:36 PM
wish they had hacked xbox live instead,its an injustice!!! :(
3 more weeks of this and i'll be licking the windows :dizzy

MegaGeeza22
9th May 2011, 09:27 PM
JUSTICE!!!!!!!!

ANON has been.....HACKED!!!!
I dont know why but i do feel that justice has been served.... its about time that the hackers got hacked!!
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/09/anonymous-get-hacked/
:g:g:g:g:g:g

JABBERJAW
9th May 2011, 11:35 PM
good, if it was him who is causing all this trouble

mic-dk
10th May 2011, 04:31 AM
Winning comment:

"Obviously Anonymous never watched My Name Is Earl else they’d have realised this would happen."

So true :lol

Frailavi
10th May 2011, 05:07 AM
I think Sony has been doing fine. They're just not letting out information until they're sure what has happened or is going to happen, which is the only right move in this sensitive situation.

JUSTICE!!!!!!!!

ANON has been.....HACKED!!!!
I dont know why but i do feel that justice has been served.... its about time that the hackers got hacked!!
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/05/09/anonymous-get-hacked/
:g:g:g:g:g:g

Since when was it Anon that hacked Sony?

Am I missing something here? How can you claim justice when it's nothing important getting hacked? Nothing was 'avenged' nor was anything really damaged at all. PSN is still down and they still don't know who did it. It's not justice until the culprit is caught, not your scapegoat having an inner struggle.