PDA

View Full Version : New to wipeout hd/fury... need people to race with..

greenymac
21st March 2011, 06:47 PM
I'm not a fast racer yet, but I practice daily and am trying to get accustomed to phantom speed class. I know I'm waaaay behing the curve of activity for this game, but i just started last week and i LOVE it. I need people to race with that still play this game. my PSN ID is Greenymac just send me and add and let me know you're from here. I just downloaded the fury pack today so those tracks I havent even raced or seen yet.(still trying to get all gold on elite)

icarasDragon
22nd March 2011, 05:25 AM
There are always one or two rooms playing at the lower speed classes, but sometimes you get to odd rapier or phantom 8)

Constrictor
24th March 2011, 05:28 PM
You are GMT-6 ... Man, I have no idea how that will adjust to GMT+1.

Anyway, there are still some kick-ass, old-school WOHD drivers around who are not going to quit until Sony will decommission the online servers. I'm sure that won't happen until 2123.

On weekdays you will find some good races in the afternoon and evening -> GMT. Don't know how it looks at times after 8PM . Contact me if you like ... I'm not that often online any more but I'm still looking forward to race across the different speedclasses and race modes (except ZB). My final goal, besides having fun w/ WOHD is ... no I won't tell :D

cya

greenymac
25th March 2011, 01:09 AM
Who have posted in this forum over the last 2 years. Theres such a wealth of strategy, tips, discussions, etc it helped me go from starting playing this game last week to completing all gold elite campaign earlier today. I even finished the final tourney today on the first try! Hell, I know its not a big deal, but when i first saw how fast phantom was I was truly intimidated, but now it feels normal and anything below rapier feels sluggish. So thanks to everyone for the wealth of knowledge contained within this site. Now, off to learn the tracks backwards and start on fury.
Also thanks to all the people who have tutorials and videos up on youtube. ( hellfire_wz, dardrium 777, woopzilla, and saturn return. (reborn?) couldnt remember.

MegaGeeza22
25th March 2011, 01:37 AM
Hey there! well done on getting the elite campaign trophy! many people still haven't achieved it so you must be good...
it took me a whole year to achieve, its nice to see new faces joining the wipeout club lol.
i might see you online sometime!

Colonel
25th March 2011, 09:38 AM
Good effort Greenymac, keep it up dude :beer

greenymac
25th March 2011, 10:52 AM
I plan on continuing to try and get better and sometime soon maybe I can join an online race and not get embarassed. But I still need to learn the fury tracks and the hd ones in reverse.I'd like to race at a high level but my consistency is severely lacking.

greenymac
25th March 2011, 10:54 AM
Well, I wake up early US time and some of my best gaming friends are GMT OR GMT-1( about 6 hours ahead of me) so theres a chance we'd get to race more than u know.

Sagiftangeri
25th March 2011, 11:14 AM
There is no such thing as being embarassed, since we all started from there :)
The problem with singleplayer is that it does not prepare you for multiplayer at all; there are things and tricks that you only learn while playing online, so I basically suggest you to run some online games once in a while, even if you dont feel prepared at all.

And remember, you dont have to start racing on Phantom from the start, some people feel obligated to do so, its bad. No one will ever make fun of you just for playing lower classes. Actually, even venom can be a pain the first times, eheh.
Take your time :)

Oh and a lower speed doesnt mean that particoular ship is crap, ERGO, dont join phantom races with a piranha hd.

le: typo

greenymac
25th March 2011, 11:30 AM
Ive already figured those thing out, but thanks for the tips... Im new to wipeout but not new to racing games of this type by any means. I use the fast ships for speed laps and TT"s, but in a real race I'm more apt to choose Assegai or Harimau. Havent really used the fury ships yet as I havene started fury and I didnt think using a ship with better stats in HD would really be helping me improve. And about getting online instead of doing offfline, i understand there are things that I'd learn only online through experience, but I do need to actually know the tracks somewhat. I know nothing at all about the fury tracks yet and the HD ones in reverse still need to be learned. Ive been online and done a few races, but as soon as a reverse or fury track is chosen my goose is cooked, LOL. BTW Ive used the piranha so little that I havent even unlocked a second livery for it yet.

Darkdrium777
25th March 2011, 02:00 PM
Well, it's no trouble really. I'm glad it could be of some help actually :g

ion harvest
25th March 2011, 02:23 PM
Welcome mate. I'm newish here too. I also like phantom but that doesn't mean flash and venom are noob speeds. There are lots of flash and venom class elite pilots who can beat phantom pilots in flash venom rooms. And getting air to BR on slower speeds requires a shed load of practice. Add me if you like and we can race sometime mate :)

Also I go some good advice from Jasmin-Jade on my first day here. She told me to lower my thrust sensitivity to 10 and airbrakes to 50 and the ship is much more responsive now :)

greenymac
25th March 2011, 03:42 PM
I already have both sensitivities set to 10 although sometimes i feel like i could turn the airbrakes up to 20, but at phantom speed i need them as responsive as possible. BTW I just sent a friend request out to you. I'll be doing some fury b4 tackling online really hard just so i'm not completely inept.XD

Hellfire_WZ
26th March 2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks a bunch mate, always nice to hear that the videos are of some use to someone :) Good luck to you

leungbok
26th March 2011, 10:49 PM
...and saturn return. (reborn?) couldnt remember.
Real name is Stubborn return ! ;)
:p

blackwiggle
26th March 2011, 10:50 PM
I think you will find doing side shifts extremely difficult having your air brakes sensitivity set at 10! :eek I don't think I have ever heard of anybody having them that low, or even 20.
Playing online can be vastly different, depending on lag, even your preferred craft can handle differently.

R3BU5ER
26th March 2011, 11:00 PM
Indeed. Depends on if you are using l1/r1 or l2/r2 though, I know a bunch use l1/r/1 but I could never get used to it. I use l2/r2 and I have my sensitivity set to 30%...

Aeroracer
26th March 2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks a bunch mate, always nice to hear that the videos are of some use to someone :) Good luck to you

they were my bible and bread and butter when i started..first video i saw..every time i played new track i would look up hellfire film..

every new player should watch these if they want to learn solid game foundation

greenymac
27th March 2011, 12:36 AM
Im using l1 and r1 as i found that the flippers just didnt work for me when it came to sideshifting. And Jasmin, I do the same thing you did with hellfire's vids. i'm using them now for reverse tracks and the fury tracks. I played a bit online today and added a few names fom here to my PSN list from there. I was going to join Rebu5er's room about30 mins ago, but I wanted to take a break and eat some dinner before cracking out on wipeout again. I'm getting brutalized online, everytime i join a race the next lowest rank is like a 40. I;m hanging tough but everyone else is just too fast for me right now. esp on reverse and fury tracks.

Jav
27th March 2011, 01:15 AM
WipEout is all about practice, just playing a lot. You'll get there :)

Aeroracer
27th March 2011, 01:33 AM
problem with online is everyone is an expert..but bright side is you will soon learn to pick it up and your learning curve will be steep and fast..your be winning one day:)

slimjim
27th March 2011, 01:34 AM
not everyone im by no means an expert

Aeroracer
27th March 2011, 01:48 AM
you are but there are expert experts and just experts..levels within levels..

anyway you dont play wipeout anymore so bugger off :P
but then im not playing either so i bugger off too:P

greenymac
27th March 2011, 01:56 AM
Just raced with Rebu5er and Gaddafi... everytime a reverse or track was chosen i wanted to vomit...That was my first time playing Metropia in reverse, and doing in phantom class was painful...I had to take a break to drink a few beers and lick my wounds.

slimjim
27th March 2011, 02:01 AM
i understand that too well im an expert at doing reverse tracks badly.. just keep at them you will get better

Aeroracer
27th March 2011, 02:02 AM
beer is a good healer..ask the french players they use alcohol for losses and wins and everything inbetween ..

greenymac
27th March 2011, 02:10 AM
I'm not a Frenchman, but the same goes for me!

Jav
27th March 2011, 03:20 AM
One thing you shouldn't do is avoid the difficult tracks, that's probably the biggest mistake you can make. I used to do that for a while, but you really have to take the punches and you'll get good at them sooner or later :)

greenymac
27th March 2011, 03:25 AM
No I dont avoid them or run from any challenge. Just saying it sucks.

Jav
27th March 2011, 03:37 AM
I wasn't trying to say you do. I like your attitude, so good luck :)

greenymac
27th March 2011, 03:46 AM
Thanks Jav.

Nutcase:259
27th March 2011, 02:25 PM
i wanted to vomit...That was my first time playing Metropia in reverse, .

i <3 Metropia reverse.
all swoopy and nice looking, and the blind corner at the top of the mag strip is brilliant.

ive always thought doing zone helps learn the tracks, also helped me tidy up at the higher speeds (if i can do it at supersonic i can race at phantom right? right... :lol)

hope to race you soon dude :beer

greenymac
27th March 2011, 03:05 PM
Just send me and add request man, I think I'm gonna be online alot from now on.

greenymac
27th March 2011, 03:13 PM
And by 4.5 seconds nonetheless! I get into a room of no wipeoutzoners and all of a sudden I'm either winning or a close 2nd in a room of 8.

slimjim
27th March 2011, 03:38 PM
nicely done

SaturnReturn
27th March 2011, 03:42 PM
Congrats on your first win.

I've merged your intro thread, thanks thread and win thread greenymac, as they didn't really need a thread each of their own.

greenymac
27th March 2011, 03:50 PM
Sorry for taking up so much space. I'll get my posting under control.

Dark_Phantom_89
27th March 2011, 05:35 PM
Good on you lad, it's always great to get your first win! :rock

The first of many I'm sure. ;)

ion harvest
27th March 2011, 05:57 PM
Nice victory mate :) many more to come so enjoy.

greenymac
27th March 2011, 07:27 PM
Hey ion, sorry I didnt join you the other day, but I wanted to at least start fury and drive the tracks a couple times before i jumped in and tried them online. But anytime you're online now and wanna race you can count me in.

ion harvest
28th March 2011, 10:39 AM
its ok mate. We can race anytime :) do you know the fury tracks yet? I didn't do fury campaign lol but I really need to start on that to.

C ya mate :)

blackwiggle
28th March 2011, 11:08 AM
Few OLD pilots online ATM, so when we do appear [with a 50+ online rank] we tend to scare the new talent off.

That's not a good situation. if we want to keep Wipeout HD/Fury alive.

How to handle this problem.

I've got a few ideas, but I'll start a specific thread on what might work.
Others might have different ideas.

Something needs to be done before the NGP version of HD/FURY comes online

greenymac
28th March 2011, 11:12 AM
I like racing higher level people. I can go into a race balls to the wall everytime. Its a steep learning curve, but I'm gonna stick it out. And ion, yeah I've played the fury tracks and have a decent foundation to work with now. i havent played them very much though and I do much better when normal hd tracks are chosen.

ion harvest
28th March 2011, 12:36 PM
When I first started playing Challenger001 invited me to a training room. I could only really race flash venom properly. But Challenger001 was a good teacher and took me up to phantom. I found it slower than I thought it would be coz I used to play fusion and that was much faster so I found it comfortable. Barrel rolls were new to me and I even did a few by accident. The settings that Jasmin-Jade gave me are the best. 50% airbrake 10% acceleration is good to go spastic with and you can still pull it back.

I like the barrel roll move and to begin with I only Barrel rolled in obvious places like jumps and drops. I was playing flash online one day and raced ACE-FLO who was too fast and I called him a cheat but he invited me to private race and showed me how to get air for barrel rolls by nosing up and side shifting.

another thing I did was watch youtube videos by wizardplayHD and Badtesterz who is Leungbok on the forum. These guys know the BR places.

I guess all these people are my gurus. Thanks.

Right then its time to start FURY campain finally :)

greenymac
28th March 2011, 12:38 PM
nosing up and sideshifting? interesting...

ion harvest
28th March 2011, 12:49 PM
Whaaat? Nobody told ya? :D yes you can do this on every track except moa and talons according to my skill level.

Tell you what mate. Nose up Side shift BR is what gives me advantage on slower speeds. Sometimes I even get top 50 multiplayer times and hold global 8 on amulpha pass fwd rapier so yes.

Now I am learning from ACE how to recover from weapon hits so you dont slow down so much. Is tricky but if I can pull this off ... :D

greenymac
28th March 2011, 12:57 PM
Ive alredi been kinda sideshidting after weapon hits. sometimes it saves me and sometimes it slams me wall to wall. Glad i know now about the nose up and sideshift. I was racing at flash class a day or two ago and I was wondering how in the hell this guy was just leaving me in the dust. I ran some good laps hitting BR's at the normal places and I was wondering where he was getting all the extra speed from. Well this is certainly a new development. Now to go give this stuff a try. But I should probably eat something before I start to naw on my arm.

ion harvest
28th March 2011, 02:27 PM
I might be online tomorrow afternoon. What tracks did you see this person go really fast? Some tracks have shortcuts that are not all that official. Lol.

JFthebestJan
28th March 2011, 02:29 PM
@greenymac:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7005

greenymac
28th March 2011, 02:50 PM
Hey thanks for the link. I looked at that thread when i first started piloting. But after more experience its nice to go back and look at threads you looked at before. its like looking with a new set of eyes after your mind has been opened up a bit.

leungbok
28th March 2011, 05:27 PM
I guess all these people are my gurus
As a guru, i'll have to ask for membership fees ! :p

tug_14
28th March 2011, 05:56 PM
Take care greeny ...

My Master is in charge of our community and he's vrey very exacting ...
His favorite game is to perform impossible br and ask us to do the same !!

greenymac
28th March 2011, 07:39 PM
man these backwards fury tracks are kicking my ass...I just flat out dont know nthem well.

Oryx Crake
28th March 2011, 09:03 PM
I need to have a game with you as well greeny it's great to see new guys join our ranks and I simply must see how good you are!

greenymac
28th March 2011, 09:43 PM
Did you say how"good" I am? I'm such a noob at this point its pathetic. But send me a psn request, Im always down to race if I'm online.

greenymac
29th March 2011, 02:54 PM
so, guys I tried changing my airbrake sensitivity from 10% to 50% just to give it a try. With my style of piloting it immediately took the twitchy uncontrollable feeling of my ship and made it more stable. I wondered if it would affect my sideshifting, but it didn't. i think these setting are going to help alot. Between last night and this morning I think Ive put in about 350 or so speed laps, mostly on anupha pass at flash speed trying to get better at nosedown-shift-roll. Special thanks goes out to ACE-FLO. Many people have given me tips, but you are the only one to actually show me a couple tricks of the trade. You're awesome man and soon i promise Ill be much more competitive.

ion harvest
29th March 2011, 06:10 PM
Oh yes. That nose up / ss / Br. I found that a real bitch to do at first but after a few days I got it.

That is a goodun he showed you because most people don't do it. And it is fast.

greenymac
29th March 2011, 10:48 PM
Good fun in the races earlier nutcase and oryx, I wasnt much competition but it was fun.

Oryx Crake
30th March 2011, 12:03 AM
Hey dont get too down on yourself like I said on psn I am impressed. Keep up the good work and you'll be one of the monsters soon enough.:g

greenymac
30th March 2011, 01:41 AM
I understand what you're saying but the fact remains that im still losing by an average of 4 secs. I'm basically just running speed laps4 secs behing the action. And I hate it when im in 1st or 2nd I never get mines or bombs to slow people down, but when I'm tryin to make a move everyone ahead of me seems to have them.

30th March 2011, 11:25 AM
I hate it when im in 1st or 2nd I never get mines or bombs to slow people down, .

sorry that was me, i usually steal all the mines and bombs from the weapon pads before the race start :P LOL :lol (obviously the reason why i load so slow heheh :P)

anyway being 4 seconds behind on reverse tracks you've never done before on the fastest speed isnt bad at all. as i said before in my first races i was getting totally dominated by everyone, 10 to 20 seconds behind on practically all the tracks (now ive narrowed it down to a just a few tracks lolol)

greenymac
30th March 2011, 12:36 PM
I'll be around on and off today. I have to go out later and get a fresh haircut as the brillo pad on my head needs a touchup.I went to speed lap last night and did a little modesto. Forwards not terrible. But backwards is another story. I'm having problems being able to steer with any semblance of control. I mean when Im steering I dunno what t0 use airbarakes? dpad steering? or both. I'm reaching a certain level of frustration now. makes me wanna snap my dualshock 3 in half.

Oryx Crake
30th March 2011, 12:46 PM
well everyone has their own style I guess but I'm usually aggressive with the dpad and less so with the airbrakes, sometimes just tapping them when I need to improve on my steering from the dpad. Though there are alot of corners you'll find that basically only needs dpad, and a slight correction with a sideshift. Actually on that note one advice that I found really helpful back when I first joined woz was to master the sideshift. I found that, after I had done so everything else just started getting gradually better/easier the more I played.

greenymac
30th March 2011, 12:54 PM
Let me give you an example of what i mean. Lets take modesto reverse after the mag strip and the two boosts near the beginning. That long left hander that leads into the tunnel, I just dont grasp it. or coming out of it on forward. I just dont know when to airbrakeand when to normally steer. Im just generally confused on airbraking and actual steering. The sideshifting isnt a problem for me, thats cake. The simple execution of steering is screwing me all up. I dunno, i think i'm starting to hit a wall...Oh and when i say something is "cake" I mean its easy to execute.

30th March 2011, 01:05 PM
usually for that modesto corner i stick to the far right as the inside seems a bit uneven and tends to throw you into the inside barrier. and just try to hang on using the analogue stick (not a D-pad user BTW) just tapping the airbrakes to keep a stable curve through the corner.

well thats me. its similar to that long corner on Tech da ra

greenymac
30th March 2011, 01:15 PM
I started out with analog and flippers, but now i use d pad and l1,r1. analog just too twitchy for an already twitchygame.

MegaGeeza22
30th March 2011, 02:00 PM
I always crash on that corner on phantom speed, im a rapier pilot lol. but as someone said earlier in this topic, practice on zone... and soon you will master those pesky corners! I used to use the dpad but i changed to the stick, maybe try that? theres more control instead of pressing a button but like oryx said everyone has there own way!

ive always thought doing zone helps learn the tracks, also helped me tidy up at the higher speeds (if i can do it at supersonic i can race at phantom right? right... :lol)

greenymac
30th March 2011, 02:37 PM
Nah man I can barely handle phantom and wheni go back to flash from phantom my timing is all screwed up and I figure it would be even worse going back from above phantom to phantom. Plus i do not really care for the zone races and zone stuff in general. It doesnt feel like a normal ship to me and doesnt drive like one and that just confounds my muscle memory. So no, I respect your advice, but theres no need fpr me to go above phantom. All i would do is slam walls and be even more frustrated and at this point added frustration is what I dont need. Quite sick of losing. Nothing like hearing the announcer say"perfect lap" then you look up at the timer to see if youve cut in on someones lead and instead they're another second ahead. :brickwall

greenymac
30th March 2011, 04:48 PM
Look at this video by yeldar and observe how tight the side shift is. how is he bringing it under control like that? Is there some thing Im missing because when i sideshift it doesnt do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyPbmVTyKeA&NR=1

Oryx Crake
30th March 2011, 04:59 PM
well I dont know how the physics engine works exactly but if you look at all those side shifts they are in the opposite direction of where the inertia is carrying the craft which I find usually makes the sideshifts tighter... but again I'm not exactly an expert on the wo physics engine ^^;

tug_14
30th March 2011, 06:01 PM
using airbreak to sideshift is essential to make a good time whatever the class
u can stop the sideshift (left or right) by using oppsite airbreak briefly

leungbok
30th March 2011, 06:59 PM
Yeldar knows that sideshifts are more efficient on speedpads ! And if you use them like that, the boost due to the SP will give at your sideshift a forward direction instead of a lateral one !

Dark_Phantom_89
30th March 2011, 07:06 PM
If you're having trouble with weapons, turn them off.

Weps off = epic racing. Nuff said. :g

greenymac
30th March 2011, 09:57 PM
@ tug 14 thanks alot man, thats exactly the information I was looking fo.r I didnt know a tap of the opposite brake will dampen the inert motion of the shift. I plan to get online in a couple hours if anyone of you guys are still awake. Just got a fresh haircut....I figure it'll help my aerodynamics:g

greenymac
31st March 2011, 07:00 PM
Hey MegaGeeza if you look at this thread again good races earlier. I seem to be so focused on barrel rolling and getting speed that I use all my shield energy and get destroyed,lol.

MegaGeeza22
31st March 2011, 09:00 PM
Your quite a good pilot from what iv seen! those races earlier were tough lol, it was like eliminator! at least 3 people blew up in each race and you beat me a few times!
i got a message off some guy -
"STOP your extreme slingering in corners and pushing others to the wall peace"
LOL

greenymac
31st March 2011, 09:48 PM
Nah, I'm not a good pilot yet. I've got a long way to go. Today my track to learn is ubermall reverse. I fall so far behing sometimes on the tracks i dont know very well. I should have plenty of time this weekend to put down some speed laps for familiarity. And yeh man, those races were hectic. Seems like a couple people got destroyed every race.

slimjim
31st March 2011, 09:59 PM
i was one of them :(

greenymac
1st April 2011, 07:09 PM
Alright guys, its the weekend! Get your asses online and lets race.