PDA

View Full Version : TV Shows thread

Colonel
18th February 2011, 12:25 PM
I've been meaining to start this thread for a while, where people can recommend good TV shows. OBH's Boardwalk Empire thread reminded me!

My first recommendation is Trailer Park Boys. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290988/

This has been around for years and there are even three films, as well as several series of it, but I only discovered it a couple of months back. It's a mock-umentary style comedy, following two guys Julian and Ricky in and around a trailer park in Canada. I can't recommend this highly enough, it's hilarious, at times the comedy is very subtle and there are frequent tender moments that offset the comedy nicely.

If you've seen this you'll know just how good it is. If you haven't, get on it! I'm on the second series at the moment and it's getting better all the time. :g

Nutcase:259
18th February 2011, 12:53 PM
that 10 o clock live thing on channel 4's quite funny, and so is charlie brookers how tv ruined your life on bbc2.

last drama series i watched though was probably life on mars / Ashes to Ashes. Gene Hunt is an absolute legend

oh and peep show. LOL brilliant i aspire to be super hans :lol

Colonel
18th February 2011, 04:44 PM
that 10 o clock live thing on channel 4's quite funny, and so is charlie brookers how tv ruined your life on bbc2.

last drama series i watched though was probably life on mars / Ashes to Ashes. Gene Hunt is an absolute legend

oh and peep show. LOL brilliant i aspire to be super hans :lol

I've watch the first couple of 10 o'clock live. It's been very hit and miss IMO, Charlie Brooker's bits are the best. That Lauren whatserface is anoying though, and David Mitchell seems rather uncomfortable in that format.

Couldn't agree more with Peep Show though, best UK comedy for years, and still going strong after what, seven series???

Also How TV ruined your life, I'm a big fan of all his work.

blackwiggle
18th February 2011, 10:41 PM
I've really been enjoying series 3 of Being Human, although series 3 is yet to be shown here the series is a bit of a sleeper cult hit in Australia, it's so well written and it can get intense without telegraphing what's going to happen beforehand like US shows.
They left series 2 on a cliffhanger, and it's only now it's ep 5 coming up that they have even started to bring this threads together.

QI is a show I will watch religiously, series 8/H was pretty good [Still yet to be aired in Australia], but not one of the better series overall, I think having so many different guest this year was a bit of a mistake, some of them just didn't seem to engage very well, Eddie Izzard was a disappointment.

I used to enjoy Top Gear, but this new series has been pretty lame so far, or have they just run out of ideas and got boring?

DrMannevond
19th February 2011, 01:35 AM
Some of my favorites off the top of my head :

Deadwood (think Boardwalk empire/sopranos in the wild west), Twin Peaks, Firefly, Spongebob Squarepants (yes, really!:D), Ren & Stimpy (season 1), Dead Set, The Wire and Futurama.
I'm about to start Carnivale and Total Recall, both of which look good.

Hellfire_WZ
19th February 2011, 10:29 AM
I was lucky enough to go and see an episode of Mock the Week recorded live that eventually made it onto the Too Hot for TV collection. I remember the first round so well, mainly because I was absolutely pissing myself :)

Not the same one unfortunately but the stuff that never gets broadcast is gold dust!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU2yibq_Gjs

Colonel
19th February 2011, 02:10 PM
I used to enjoy Top Gear, but this new series has been pretty lame so far, or have they just run out of ideas and got boring?

I know exactly what you mean unfortunately, I think it's at least a series too far. :frown:

19th February 2011, 02:24 PM
That Lauren whatserface is anoying though, and David Mitchell seems rather uncomfortable in that format.

yeh, i think the producers think the same about her as she barely appears in it now lol. i think the listen to Mitchell is funny when he goes off on some massive cynical monologue, hes good at that but hes a bit of a door matt when it comes to the debate bits.

top gears also gone a bit flat, the way there writing scripts almost seems like there trying to kill it off, what with the massive cringe worthy bits that seem like there just trying to cause offence in such a PC era,. its odd because the producers website www.sniffpetrol.com is massively funny where as this series the program is kind of meh.

watching rastamouse atm :rock

Colonel
27th February 2011, 01:29 PM
Been watching the HBO comedy drama "Hung" recently http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1229413/ . I saw adverts for this on FX ages ago but thought it looked a bit toss.

Glad I've watched it now though because it's superb. Brilliantly written and acted throughout, and has an addictive quality where you find yourself watching four or five episodes back-to-back. Cracking stuff. Hopefully the third series will be aired soon.

stinkleroy
2nd March 2011, 11:58 AM
Oooh I was wanting to set up a thread about TV shows for ages, I'm glad someone finally did it!

I watched Treme last year and frankly thought it was an awesome series. It's about New Orleans after Katrina, lots of fantastic music with some great acting to boot. A bit slow to start but once it gets going I really couldn't get enough!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treme_(TV_series)

I only found Arrested Development last year also...yes it took me a while. Great series with many many laughs. Made my face hurt! :D

Colonel
2nd March 2011, 04:48 PM
Ah Treme! I have the first series on my PC but have been too busy watching other things. I've heard nothing but good things about it. And John Goodman is a dude anyway so I have high hopes for it.

I too have recently got into Arrested Development stinkleroy. Very funny indeed, Gob's my favourite character, he's like a ridiculous super-villain :lol

OBH
10th April 2011, 11:41 AM
I'm on season 3 of The Wire.

Omar has got to be one of the most bad ass characters ever :)

Colonel
10th April 2011, 02:11 PM
Damnit Hadyn I started a TV shows thread and everything :lol

greenymac
10th April 2011, 02:58 PM
Man, the wire is the best series I have ever seen i my life...Unbelieveable... I would also suggest checking out the hbo series "Rome". There were only 2 seasons though as all the good actors from it were poached.

OBH
10th April 2011, 03:10 PM
Rome was excellent too :) Though, for me, Band of Brother's is still the best TV series I've ever seen.

@Colonel__Gaddafi
I know, I know, but it's been posted in so little that it's disappeared into the abyss :beer

greenymac
10th April 2011, 03:33 PM
Btw hbo has a new series from the producers of the wire and its going into its 2nd season. Its called "Treme"

Colonel
10th April 2011, 05:52 PM
Apologies for "necro posting" - I think that's right isn't it?.. but people have been talking about TV shows recently and I'd like to mention a couple of new ones I've seen.

The first is "Bored to Death" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1255913/, a superb noir comedy series from America, about a would-be private detective. I think it's on Sky Atlantic - a channel everybody needs - and it really is very good. Really unique, and Ted Danson is awesome in it.

The second is a US drama called "Weeds", http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0439100/starring Mary Louise Parker from The West Wing as a mother trying to make ends meet by helping to import and sell drugs.

I have to say, the last few years have seen so many brilliant dramas come out of the US, they really have nailed it. All we seem to be able to do is dog sh*t police programmes and Jane fking Austen adaptations. The only notable exception being Shane Meadows' sublime "This Is England '86" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1685471/, although I'll gladly be proved wrong if anyone has any other examples.

stinkleroy
10th April 2011, 08:17 PM
Aha! I was wondering if you'd found Bored to Death yet ;) Jason Schwartzman is one of my most favourite actors and Ted Danson just tops it off. It's such a surreal and wonderful show :)

Seriously...if you haven't watched Treme yet...do it!

I really can't think of any good British dramas, I tend to avoid them mostly due to depressing and stale feel of them. But if you like comedy I can recommend Nighty Night. I watched this series (1 and 2) on BBC2 years ago and absolutely loved it's insanity, I even bought the DVD's. It's not everyone's cup of tea but it's dark humour really made me laugh :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nighty_Night

greenymac
10th April 2011, 08:23 PM
I tell you this colonel Gaddafi... Enjoy as much as you can of weeds from the first couple seasons because after that it goes downhill... Its a piecve of crap of a show now. I'd suggest Californication, which is always good for a laugh. Also Showtime just finished the first season of a series called "Shameless" about a alcoholic piece of crap dad, that has 6 kids and is a complete waste of sperm...The show is actually hilarious and sickening at the same time.

Colonel
10th April 2011, 09:34 PM
Assuming you're on about the original UK programme, it's funny you mention Weeds going downhill after a couple of seasons. I loved the first couple of series of Shameless, but it really nosedived at about series 3 and these days is basically a hardcore soap opera.

But I imagine Showtime has nicked the idea and set it in the US ;)

Oh and Stinkelroy, I love Nighty Night. Superb stuff, Julia Davis is great.

greenymac
10th April 2011, 09:40 PM
No, this shameless is new. maybe the same idea but different show and William H. Macy plays the father... check out showtime.com.

11th April 2011, 03:43 PM
been watching the last ever series of waking the dead. the first few episodes were a bit ridiculous but the last double episodes quite good.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006r9ys

its better than Zen, that was total trash, American style series set in Italy with English actors, and loads of stupid camera techniques and over the top depth of field pi**es me off.

though favourite police drama will always be life on mars/ ashes to ashes :rock

Oryx Crake
11th April 2011, 04:01 PM
I've always been a fan of the tv show Firefly myself <.<

Colonel
11th April 2011, 10:32 PM
No, this shameless is new. maybe the same idea but different show and William H. Macy plays the father... check out showtime.com.

Yeah Showtime will have got the idea from the UK version. I've heard the US remake of the "Life On Mars" series is much better than the UK one, but I've not seen it.

12th April 2011, 10:37 AM
really i heard the US version bombed? no one can replace Phillip Glenister as Gene Hunt! :beer

Colonel
12th April 2011, 11:19 AM
Personally I can't stand the guy, or the programme, and I'd much prefer to watch the bad lieutenant, Mr Keitel ;)

OBH
12th April 2011, 01:16 PM
been watching the last ever series of waking the dead.
Last ever? They've only made 1, and already said they're making a second one. Unless I'm hugely mistaken.

I've always been a fan of the tv show Firefly myself <.<
Great series! :g:+
Never got to see how it ended cos we lost the last cd, but I loved it. Some genius scenes. Love the bit where he wants someone to deliver a message for him, but the bloke says no so he boots him into the ships engine :)

12th April 2011, 03:15 PM
OBH theyve made 9 series's according to wikipedia ? ive only seen this one and apparently its the last.

MegaGeeza22
12th April 2011, 04:00 PM
Has anyone here seen Oddities? its an american show about a shop that buys and sells weird and wonderful things. from electric chairs to 2000 year old mummy hands....
Iv only seen 9 episodes online but i cant find the rest :brickwall
Its a great show but it only airs in america :evil

OBH
12th April 2011, 04:55 PM
OBH theyve made 9 series's according to wikipedia ? ive only seen this one and apparently its the last.
Must be mistaken for the actual books, as the first season was only made in 2010. If we assume a season is released a year, it means the TV series is older than the comic itself :)

Television adaptation
The Walking Dead (TV series)

.......On November 8, 2010, after broadcasting only two episodes, The Walking Dead was renewed for a second season, to consist of 13 episodes, which is scheduled to begin airing on October 31, 2011
I'm not a huge comic person, but The Walking dead is an amazing read. TV series was good, but plot wise it's totally different. If the 2nd series is going to be set where I hope it is, then we'll be in for a treat.

12th April 2011, 07:20 PM
err i think were talking about 2 different shows? :g :beer
Waking the Dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waking_the_Dead_(TV_series))
& The Walking Dead(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_(TV_series))?

;)

OBH
13th April 2011, 09:50 PM
HAHA!!
Ahh, my bad :) Sorry mate! :beer

greenymac
18th April 2011, 02:57 PM
you guys should check out Game of Thrones on HBO and The Borgias on Showtime...

Colonel
18th April 2011, 03:36 PM
I think Game OF Thrones starts tonight over here on Sky Atlantic.

greenymac
18th April 2011, 05:12 PM
If it starts tonight you should DEFINITELY check it out.

MetaKraken
24th April 2011, 12:33 AM
I watch:

1000 Ways to Die
Horror movies on Syfy

And... that's just it. Most of the cartoon shows ommited anime shows, so I have no choice but to watch them on Hulu. :(

blackwiggle
24th April 2011, 03:20 AM
Didn't the new series of Dr Who start in the UK yesterday?
I'll do a search and see if I can get it, not much else to do since the PSN is down.

Darkdrium777
5th May 2011, 03:03 PM
Holy crap those new aliens in Doctor Who. I got chills just like with the Weeping Angels the first time they were introduced.
It's been so long though, I can't wait anymore for Doctor Who D: But it's still awesome at least :D

And another thing that's awesome is My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. Yeah. :P (Rob you should give it a try for your girl at least xD)

I can't believe I said that. D:

greenymac
8th May 2011, 09:42 PM
Treme on HBO. Watch the first season to get the feel and character profiles. The second season's 3rd episode airs tonight on HBO. Man, I can see how things are starting to happen in this show and all I can think is man, this is about to get very interesting...Also Game of Thrones..

Aeroracer
8th May 2011, 10:19 PM
i watched dr who last night..first time ive ever watched it cos i thought it was a crap kids programme..i really liked it and thought it was well made..:)

Temet
10th May 2011, 09:16 AM
The Doctor is brilliant!
Even if not as good as David Tennant, Matt Smith does a good job ;)

EDIT : quite hard to follow without subtitles for me. I'm used to American series, I can follow some without subtitles... but I can't get a word from an English guy! :p

stinkleroy
8th July 2011, 11:14 AM
Thought I'd bring this thread back as due to illness I've been watching quite a bit of TV. Checked out series 1 of Game of Thrones and I have to say it's pretty engrossing stuff, some really good acting in there too, am highly anticipating series 2 :)

I also enojyed The Walking Dead, rancid zombie shenanigans and great to see Andrew Lincoln again, haven't seen him since he was Egg :p I tried to watch the first episode of Falling Skies, but had absolutely no desire to see anymore. I had such great hope for an alien invasion show but frankly it was really lame :-

And just for fun I've been watching Mr T's Worlds Craziest fools on BBC1, great to see the T back on screen again and it's actually way funnier than you'd expect ;)

Colonel
8th July 2011, 11:46 AM
Haha, didn't know Mr T had his own programme, will definitely check that out Stinkelroy.

Watched the first two episodes of the HBO series "Generation Kill" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0995832/. It's very well made, but hard work if I'm honest. Will persevere though, as I imagine it develops nicely.

greenymac
8th July 2011, 11:51 AM
Colonel you are right, Generation Kill is an awesome short series...:clap

8th July 2011, 12:19 PM
:lol i watched the first episode o Mr T's craziest fools. its quite funny. especially there was one recorded phone conversation where a woman rang the police to report that she herself was drink driving ?!? :lol

Lately ive mostly been watching the new program Sirens (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sirens) on Channel 4. i think its really good. the 3 main actors work really well together and its pretty funny

UB3R~JKP
8th July 2011, 06:35 PM
Forgot how good the inbetweeners is! Great show. :D

Colonel
30th July 2011, 07:02 PM
Finished "Generation Kill" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0995832/the other week. Superb, I wasn't immediately sold on it but it was worth a bit of patience. Brilliant character development, and one of the coolest shows I've seen for a long time.

Oh and I've watched the first couple of episodes of "Nurse Jackie" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190689/. Grabs you straight away, very well made in every regard, and Edie Falco manages to be better than she is in "The Sopranos", which is no mean feat. :)

greenymac
30th July 2011, 09:20 PM
Me and the lady have been watching Nurse Jackie since the beginning a couple years ago...The Big C on Showtime is also a pretty well done show. I actually like it better than Nurse Jackie simply because I just dont like Edie Falco... Something about her I dont like. Maybe its because she always plays a character I don't like in every show she's in. But anyway, theyre both excellent shows.... Cinemax is gonna start it's first series...I dont expect it to be very good, but I'll still check it for diamond in the rough qualities.

trackripper
30th July 2011, 09:22 PM
It's odd, but series like that just don't interest me at all. Doctor Who I find boring, along with all the other shows that just about everybody seems to watch, it's always really awkward between friends when they ask me xD

"Did you see that episode last night? Man those cybermen were awesome..."

"...
..."

Yup. Awks. :P

Love Top Gear and Have I Got News For You though, about the only thing I watch on TV nowadays.

blackwiggle
1st August 2011, 06:16 AM
I've been watching the new Torchwood series, it's one long story instead of individual self contained episodes....it's been ok so far [4 episodes]

The Latest UK Top Gear has been ok as well, but I'm not as enthused with it as I used to be a few years ago.

The U.S. version of WILFRED has been my favourite show so far this year, perversely funny.

Looking forward to series 9 [I] of Q.I which should be going to air in the U.K in late Sept, it's always excellent.

Also the 4th series of the U.K version of Being Human, which will be interesting to see where it goes now one of the main characters had to be killed off the show because of them getting a role in "The Hobbit"

amplificated
1st August 2011, 06:37 AM
Entourage is back on for season 8 (the last we'll see of the show, bar a potential movie), second episode came out today. It's been a solid show for most of the time it's been on and so far things don't look any different in that regard; should be good.

Thanks for the reminder about Torchwood, BW; thought season 3 was at least interesting. Doctor Who has been getting worse and worse with the latest Doctor and cast of characters (though truth be told, it's the writing and plots that can't hold water. I at least think Matt Smith is doing an okay job acting with the material he's given), so hopefully something in the DW universe is going alright these days.

blackwiggle
5th February 2013, 01:05 PM
Season 5 of Being Human started in the UK last weekend.
I've been a avid fan since I first came across it.
This series has basically all new cast members, as they nearly all got killed off in series 4's climax.
From what I saw of the first program, a clever plot line and script have already set this series up as equal to it's predecessors

If you are not in the UK, you can see the new series as they are shown via EZTV.
That goes for basically any new TV series.

http://eztv.it/

MyNameIsBom
10th February 2013, 06:24 AM
deleted

stin
10th February 2013, 10:50 AM
Did watched Warehouse 13 (sy-fy) through Netflix, so I can watch all the episodes, three series and can`t wait for series 4 coming up for Netflix.

ATM, watching Weeds and Mythbusters.

stevie:)