PDA

View Full Version : Transparent Wipeoutzone Logo

KGB
17th February 2011, 06:38 PM
I've been messing around with my Opera browser and discovered you can change the Speed Dial thumbnails to your own liking. I have found all the ones I want but nothing for Wipeout, can anyone make them on here?

This is the best site (http://userlogos.org/search/node/youtube) I have found for them but no Wipeout ones :(. I will shower you with love and kindness if you can help, as it's annoying me that the only one that isn't transparent is the Wipeoutzone thumbnail.

KGB
18th February 2011, 10:23 AM
Stop the clocks! I know you will be all beavering away doing this ;), but I worked out how to do it. :g

SaturnReturn
18th February 2011, 10:57 PM
I tried it with something but it didn't really look the same as the others on the site. What did you use to achieve the reflection effect? Also, why does it have to be transparent? I couldn't get it to be transparent and have a reflection.

KGB
19th February 2011, 04:13 PM
:g It's always nice to get at least one reply in a thread you started :redface:. Cheers mate, you were always my favorite member Sat :D.

I didn't really need the reflection, in fact I would rather not have it as it doesn't fit too well. I just think they look better transparent, or part of it at least. The problem I was having was if I put just a narrow banner on the speed dial it was resizing the image for the whole space and distorted the picture, so I needed to put it on a transparent background first.

It's funny you replied as I nicked your image from your wipeoutzone Youtube group, hope you don't mind, it fit rather well :)

SaturnReturn
19th February 2011, 05:05 PM
Well it would be up to Rob really, but that's actually the one I was trying to do it with as well. I'm sure it's fine. :P I'd thought you meant you wanted to get rid of the black background too. I think anyone with basic photoshop skills could do that, which unfortunately isn't me. Never mind though, as long as it works for you.;)

I like the looks of the speed dial feature, but just find the format in firefox (LINK TO EXAMPLE (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/SitarHero/firefoxvschrome2.png?t=1298139478)), with bookmarks along the top, works so much better. With this layout other browsers seem less efficient with screen space, which is apparently one of the main improvements they're supposed to provide over firefox. Firefox only takes up slightly more space here and I get a full menu bar, which I do like to have. If you add the download bar to chrome then firefox takes less space for menus because it integrates it to the status bar, which I can just remove from firefox anyway. I've seen a video preview of the next version of firefox and it annoyingly adopts the format of other browsers, with tabs along the top and no file menu, so I won't be able to use this layout for bookmarks any more. Not gonna want to 'upgrade' to that personally. :?

Anyway, way off topic, but just sayin'...

KGB
19th February 2011, 05:23 PM
Yeah I could make it so it took all the black out of it as well but the lettering was too narrow for it to work well I thought. Some work better with a block of colour behind them as they are part of the design. It still needed to be on a transparent background to get the clear part above the logo though. And to think they wouldn't let me near the old BBC computers at school ;).

I like the speed dial thing though I don't use it how it's meant, instead of Ctrl + number, I just go to the page and select them there, I wouldn't of bothered doing it it otherwise.

I hope Rob doesn't mind.

infoxicated
21st February 2011, 12:44 PM
Nah, don't care - it's not like it's a registered trademark, so as long as there are no nefarious intentions I don't mind it being re-used or recreated. :)

KGB
21st February 2011, 01:22 PM
I'm glad you said that Rob, as i have nicked part of the home banner now :g

infoxicated
21st February 2011, 01:43 PM
If you want better results you could recreate it by downloading the font it's based on - QuerRound from DaFont (http://www.dafont.com/search.php?q=querround&text=wipeoutzone).

I might have played with the aliasing and kerning, but that's it. :)

KGB
21st February 2011, 07:47 PM
Cheers for that Rob, I had a dick around with it again (that's all it can be called) and did a completely new version. Not bad seeing as I only started using Gimp 3 days ago.

It looks lot better than this picture is showing

SaturnReturn
21st February 2011, 08:53 PM
I love funky fonts. :D

If you have powerpoint then you can very easily apply all sort of effects, such as 3D bevels and reflections. Then you can just select the objects and export them as .png and you will have a transparent image.

Quick example attached. (Bevel doesn't show up too well on the text at that size though.)

Lance
21st February 2011, 10:37 PM
I can't believe anybody uses up so much of their screenspace on the browser UI. I use Opera with only two narrow bars at the top, one of which is the tab bar and the other combines the address bar, the clock, the status bar and and my nine most used site shortcuts or internal links. It's about half an inch high on my 15.6 inch [diagonal] laptop screen. I rarely ever go full-screen on a site by clicking F11.

BTW, I dislike WinXP. Much to my surprise, Vista rules. Been using it for two years now. I may like it better than 7 which has too low a sound volume with the native driver. But I digress. I do love the customisable speeddial; but instead of using it for shortcuts, I insert my own custom fullscreen background image as part of the basic skin, which shows when speeddial is inactivated, and still allows you to activate speeddial using yet another custom background different from the primary.

novide
22nd February 2011, 06:06 AM
I have redrawn the logo for the cup...

here the transparent png version:

wipeoutzone logo (http://novide.ufohunter.net/wipeoutzonelogo/wipeoutzone.png)

wipeoutzone logo with adrenalin amplified (http://novide.ufohunter.net/wipeoutzonelogo/wipeoutzone_claim.png)

KGB
22nd February 2011, 08:16 AM
They are cool Novide, I made one myself but the totally transparent style doesn't work very well with the wipeout logo on the Speed Dial - small narrow lettering needs something behind it to stand out, they are too big for me to use as well if that's why you posted them. In the images I posted there are only 4 Speed dials pictured just for a bit more clarity, there are more than that normally so the image is smaller than shown. The lettering needs to contrast with something, hence why I kept the black background.

infoxicated
22nd February 2011, 09:26 AM
Yeah, tell me about it - that font is a bit of a pain at times.

I did change it when the site was redesigned back in 2007, but the feedback I had on the preview version of the new site was that the alternative header wasn't liked, so I stuck with old faithful.

Wait... was it really 2007?

Man, this place needs an overhaul.

novide
23rd February 2011, 10:52 AM
hi kgb..

my english is sometimes bad.. but i tried something out with the logo..
if u like it, i will upload the png-version with transparent background.

KGB
23rd February 2011, 12:09 PM
Those are better than my basic efforts Novide, thank you :D. The reflection doesn't work very well though as the space available for the image chops part of it away, there is an invisible address bar in there also that screws the bottom of the reflection up . The only way around that was positioning the wipeoutzone logo somewhere in the top third of the transparent image. But I would have to do that with all 16 of them, which is something I really can't be bothered to do. The reflection can be cut though so it's still great, cheers mate :+.

Edit: Zone Pilot :eek

Darkdrium777
23rd February 2011, 09:08 PM
Wait... was it really 2007?You changed from blue to black on the forums last year I think :p

infoxicated
23rd February 2011, 10:34 PM
I thought that was a couple of years back... either way it needs a refresh. :)

Darkdrium777
24th February 2011, 12:03 AM
I checked when I made my thread to replace the buttons from blue to black.
Two years ago :D