PDA

View Full Version : "All-rounder" league / tournament

Colonel
11th February 2011, 12:25 AM
Please see http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8262 for the proper thread

A friend of mine "technicalchaos" who's new to the game, joined me online for a session tonight. I thought I'd introduce him to the different modes, so - with Megageeza in tow - we alternated between single race, eliminator and zone battle. The single races and eliminators were all held at flash speed for my friend's benefit.

People joined and left the room, understandably. Most people join a room to have a session in a particular game mode. But one or two people stuck with it regardless...

And it got me thinking:

1) From now on I'm going to start hosting "all-rounder" rooms. It keeps it fresh doing all 3 main online modes and it's a lot of fun.

2) Has there been any kind of online "all-rounder" league or tournament? If not then (with the help of some experienced people from the board) I'd like to organise one.

Any thoughts?

MegaGeeza22
11th February 2011, 04:13 PM
I like this idea, its a lot of fun! but i dont think the top pilots will be too keen... they have there "macho reputations" to uphold and will only play if they no that they will win!
Its a good idea because i might lose a race to a good pilot but id own them in zone battle! and then its on to eliminator for the decider! it would be good if we had 8 in a room! WIPEOUT DOMINATOR :rock

Tiduch
11th February 2011, 05:59 PM
Eliminator on 8ppl its only for fun, too much lucky for serious game.

MegaGeeza22
11th February 2011, 06:36 PM
I used to think that but alot of tactical knowledge is key to be good at eliminator...
choosing to shield at the precise moments, dodging mines, bombs and if your very good you can dodge rockets and plasmas with a well timed sideshift! Also a good aim and timing is key when you use plasmas (obviously) and it also gives slower pilots the chance to win!
when you see a person win a few games in a row you realise its not luck.

Aeroracer
11th February 2011, 07:25 PM
give it a go ..some players may really like to play all modes..

Tiduch
11th February 2011, 08:40 PM
@MegaGeeza22
I know this, eliminator its my favourite mode and i have 100% wins on 1vs1 :)
Yes, on 8ppl game, more skilled player have more chance to win, but the most points you get from kills and situation when you hit player from plasma or 3rockets and other people used quake (steal kill) is very often.

Eliminator 8ppl without quake will be better, very often you hear warning "quake" and you cant attack because you must shield it. (Anyway, for what is that icon, where you can see how many weapons is available?)

sorry for english

Medusa
11th February 2011, 08:50 PM
Personally I like to be in a certain frame of mind to play each type of game...really it's like three different games, so I don't think I'd be up for it. But you never know, I'd join when in a multiple personality state of mind!
It's a neat idea. :)

R3BU5ER
11th February 2011, 09:46 PM
Yeah cool idea, I wouldn't be up for it though, I'm just one of those dull oldskool players.....phantom single race. :P

Colonel
11th February 2011, 10:35 PM
i dont think the top pilots will be too keen...

Yeah I think you're right, although I wouldn't put it down to any "macho reputations", more of a purist attitude to the game (as evidenced by R3BU5ER). Which is fair enough but recently I've started enjoying all modes, having started with eliminator and zone and moved onto the others.

I'm not going to try and organise anything yet, people have enough on their plates with the cup, the team meetings, various avalon events and so on. But when the cup is finished (April?!?) I'll have a chat with a few organisers of previous events and try and put something together.

In the mean time if anyone has any ideas I'd be pleased to hear them. And please don't get annoyed if you join a room I'm hosting and it switches modes. I always give people plenty of time to leave between races anyway.

s0mmieUK
16th June 2011, 08:46 PM
I think it's a great idea to have an all-rounder tournament. What better way for new players to improve their skills than in competition?

Maybe even a championship tournament for each speed class. Racing to earn the title and prestige of being the forum Venom/Flash/Rapier/Phantom champion? I dunno, just throwing ideas around.

I would definately be up for something like this and would love to help organise it. If the more advance players would for whatever reason prefer not to participate, I'm sure we could get some new players interested.

Colonel
17th June 2011, 12:13 PM
Yeah I was thinking about this recently, it's as good a time as ever to get something like this going. I have a few things on over the next week or so, and I told Challenger I'd try and kickstart a few team matches and other 2 vs 2s. But in a couple of weeks time I will try to start putting something together.

Thanks for your input s0mmie, I'll definitely take you up on your offer of help. :)

andyf53
6th July 2011, 12:02 AM
Count me in for this, I'll see about getting some zone practice in...

Colonel
6th July 2011, 12:14 AM
Ooh, well that's a pleasant surprise, didn't think you liked Zone Battle Andy. I've got a load of web design to do in the next week or so, but as soon as I've finished it I'll sort this out. Yes I know I said that on 17th June but I mean it this time :redface:. I'll have a provisional format and rules posted for Friday 15th, promise :D

andyf53
6th July 2011, 06:22 PM
I don't as a rule, but perhaps a reason to practice may lead to a deeper love for the mode of play...

Colonel
6th July 2011, 07:32 PM
Sorry, can I just post a link to the new thread for this and request that the mods lock this one please.

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8262

Making Unctuous earn his money already haha.