PDA

View Full Version : Dead Space 2

Kyonshi
7th February 2011, 05:45 AM
Holy Mary mother of God... Never a such a game scared me s***less like it just happened playing the game. Seriously, i'm really not kidding. Damn, it hits you like a mace in the face and i'm not talking of the instant scare effects only. The staging, the setting, the atmosphere... its just dreadful. They kept the winning formula and even improved it - gameplay, voice-acting, graphic and level design, animation. This game is just the most awesome survival-horror i had the opportunity to play in my life. If you liked the first game, you will LOVE this one to death! :D

Hell, its 1:30am right now and i dunno if i'll had a good night sleep. The images i saw are kinda very disturbing... Play it and you'll understand, i'm not exagerating the whole thing. ;)

Did this game ****ed up anybody else yet?

mdhay
7th February 2011, 04:54 PM
My brother got it, played it, finished it in a few hours. Was nothing.

Well, because I haven't played it. :P

KGB
7th February 2011, 05:09 PM
Even though I'm dead hard ;), I won't be going anywhere near this. I played the demo, but had to switch it off after I met the first 'thing', just couldn't take the tension. Got to look after my heart and blood pressure at my age.

OBH
8th February 2011, 09:45 AM
First game was excellent but despite being highly rated by critics, it didn't sell very well.

2nd is more of the same, but every little bit is better in every way.

I wouldn't say its quite as scary as people make out, but apparently if you have full surround sound or an incredible set of headphones then it makes a huge difference, as the game was designed for full surround sound from day one.

I like the multiplayer, but its a shame you cant use many of the infected, and don't visit some of the quality locations you do throughout the single player. I'm hoping that ds3 will be more like left 4 dead in the sense that multiplayer is actually going through the single player levels but with other players as the infected.

I love how the game loads instantly too. If anyone played Uncharted 2 and like me struggled to know when to stop playing because it never stopped to load, then ds will do the same :)

And mdhay, get your brother to try it on the hardest difficulty --> No checkpoints, and your only allowed to save 3 times throughout the whole game!! :beer

mdhay
8th February 2011, 12:23 PM
Knowing him, he'd just use a trainer. ;)

MENGKESHI
8th February 2011, 04:13 PM
Sounds awesome! I've got the first game on pc but think this time round I'll go for the ps3 as the PC version seemed a bit port-ish anyway...

EDIT: and my pc is in my office which means I can't play at night which is of course the only suitable time to play this game :D

amplificated
8th February 2011, 06:01 PM
I got the game on release, it's pretty good. It's a decent ride through, though really it's just more of the same from the first one with a few changes, a few more touches of polish...

TBH I didn't find it scary or even creepy, though there were a few tense moments on my first play through. I like the aesthetic the space stations provide, it's pretty unique amongst games and adds a lot to the atmosphere. Stuff like blowing necromorphs out of a blown open window are pretty cool. Like OBH said, the audio is very good (though I think there were more memorable sounds and audio experiences in the first game). I wouldn't say DS2 is better in every way to the first, they're very similar games in terms of gameplay, pacing, and story (other than Isaac being able to speak in the sequel, which is good since silent protagonists are worthless). I think I preferred the setting of the original a bit more, but I like the new weapons and gameplay features of the second; although I miss just being able to launch off a surface in zero-G. Everything else is pretty much equal.

The multiplayer kinda sucks, especially for me as I can never find a lobby originating from anywhere near my country. I always seem to be joining some south American lobby or something... which means terrible, terrible lag.
Anyway, personally I just think the multiplayer could've been handled differently. It would've been more fun if it wasn't just mindless rushing about, and it's pretty hard to get teamwork going in spite of its necessity.

ONlock
8th February 2011, 10:29 PM
Sounds awesome! I've got the first game on pc but think this time round I'll go for the ps3 as the PC version seemed a bit port-ish anyway..

It's perfect for a console. And looks good as well. I was impressed how well it ran, and it even runs in full 1080p resolution, not many multiplatforms does that! I seems they really took their time with adjusting it for the PS3 this time.

It's a good game as well with a very tense atmosphere, and I often don't feel like progressing, because I'm afraid what will happen around the next corner.

The sound gets a top score from me aswell, just like the first one. I'm playing it in 5.1, and it's an experience in itself.

OBH
10th February 2011, 10:36 AM
It would've been more fun if it wasn't just mindless rushing about, and it's pretty hard to get teamwork going in spite of its necessity.
You playing it on the ps3 i presume??
Games based on small teams with good team work never really works on the ps3. Not handing out mics as standard with the console is ridiculous.

OBH
12th February 2011, 11:14 AM
Finally finished it today (I had been postponing it as i want the game to last :) ) and I have to say the entire end to the game is excellent. I was hooked and played it for a final 3 hours till i finished it.

Nothing worse than games with terrible endings. Dead Space 2's is superb.

Very few games do i finish, and then instantly start a new game :+

amplificated
12th February 2011, 09:38 PM
Sorry for the late reply, but yeah, I do have the game for the PS3. Hardly ever hear mic chatter, and it's usually only from one or two people in the room if it's there at all.

TBH I thought the ending-ending wasn't that wonderful! Once I found out how to kill the final boss, it as extremely easy and not that spectacular, and it seemed really similar to the final parts of God of War 3. The ending cinematic was short and completely non-essential. Though, the final scene did induce a slight smirk.
spoiler: also, I hope I'm not the only one who thought how Isaac was just fine after getting impaled by a couple of javelins was just ramming home the point that the story/cinematic side of the game is a joke...
The last couple of chapters did ramp up the intensity though, for sure.

I want to finish the game on Hard Core, but I haven't found the time to start it up yet...

OBH
12th February 2011, 10:42 PM
That says a lot in my book - Even the man who can find its faults wants to play through it again :)

Dark_Phantom_89
14th February 2011, 07:49 AM
I finished this on Normal yesterday and was really impressed with the whole storyline in general. There's definitely room for a sequel I think. :+

Did anybody die on the last fight? I got a bit too close to the enemy once and they made me shoot myself through the head with a spear gun. Nice...

I'm going to give Hardcore a whirl next weekend. Only 3 saves sounds like an absolute bitch though!

OBH
14th February 2011, 11:42 AM
Mate did you see any of the other deaths at the end of the game?? The regenerating thing is amazing when it kills you, implaes you, cuts off your legs, then your arms, lets you scream for a bit, then chops off your head :)

As for hardcore mode, apparently its all about using the contact beam and the plasma cutter as the contact beams special inflicts stasis on the enemies. Took me 9.5 hours to finish it on zealot, so by that id need to play hardcore in 3 and a bit hour stints..... though in all honesty you wouldn't want to do the last 3 hours of the game without dying, so the 2nd stint would probably have to be even longer.

love it though, like being back in the day completing resi 1 in less than 3 hours. :) I remember my mate took a photo of him completing it in 3 hours and 1 second!!

amplificated
14th February 2011, 12:12 PM
I loved speedrunning resi evil 2 :P

The contact beam idea is interesting - I don't really like the gun as it's so slow... I was thinking of using the plasma cutter until I got the ripper; along with the seeker rifle and detonator. The detonator is too good for covering your ass against stalkers and set pieces, the seeker rifle is powerful and should be decent against pretty much everything - it's kinda like a fast javelin gun. Plus, it makes the final boss easy as hell.

I never really needed to use stasis in my runs except for bosses, so I think I can make economic enough use of it...

Oh, and the best death is hands down the one you get if you die to one of the free-roaming heads... was funny as witnessing it in game, but here's a spoiler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0t87-OQqHs). It was in the first game as well.

OBH
14th February 2011, 12:26 PM
yeah i agree :) so glad to see its still in this game. great death :)

Never used the Seeker Rifle in my first play through. Mainly used Plasma Cutter and Detonator.

As for stasis, I love it :) But who needs the items to bring it back when it recharges automatically! Sold every one of those suckers :)

amplificated
14th February 2011, 12:34 PM
same, especially since I practically never used it against normal enemies :lol

and each pack was worth 1,250 credits; easy money :P

I think the pulse rifle is better than the plasma cutter in every way, and they serve the same purpose; unfortunatley it's not really worth getting one unless you're in a new game+.

I didn't use the seeker rifle on my 1st run either, but I used it in my zealot run and it ****ing nailed everything - the final boss and it's little critter bastards couldn't even touch me in time.

Dark_Phantom_89
15th February 2011, 02:40 PM
I only used a selection of weapons on my first run through and sold any ammo for the others for cash. I used:

Plasma Cutter - Efficient and versatile, a perfect gun to use for the game, especially when upgraded.

Line Gun - Used it up until Chapter 4 and then got rid of it. It's good at the start as a souped up Plasma Cutter, but the ammo for it is too expensive and the secondary fire is way too slow later on for the faster enemies.

Force Gun - Not particularly powerful, but great for crowd control. If I was backed into a corner, a quick shot of this would send those necros away and then I could cut them up with something else. This weapon is perfect against the Pack and the Crawlers though - one shot kills on them not to mention a spread fire.

Detonator - Perfect for setting yourself up before an ambush and great against the Stalkers. The fact that you can deactivate the mine and pick it up again if it remains unexploded was a great idea.

Contact Beam - My favourite weapon in the game and an absolute lifesaver at the end, especially with the stasis effect. It can pretty much one shot anything, not to mention that its secondary fire will annihilate everything that may back you into a corner. Not only that, but you can take out enemies behind walls with the secondary fire AND it grants you temporary invincibility when using the secondary fire! What's not to love? :rock

DJ Techno
15th February 2011, 08:11 PM
For my repeat about this game...

Are you scared yet?

Lol

Dark_Phantom_89
15th February 2011, 08:39 PM
Shall I tell you what made me jump in this game? Not the monsters bursting out of vents or the images suddenly appearing in Isaac's head, but the scenery...

I literally jumped when the TV came on or when the steam vales were activated and when the toilet flushed in the game. :g

OBH
15th February 2011, 08:48 PM
Tried hardcore today.
Died 10 paces away from disk 2 and hadn't saved it....

DJ Techno
15th February 2011, 09:03 PM
Know what a gamer says....

Where ya head at?

You can get by that mistake a few times. But a gamer should know better.

Unless u didn't like 10 deaths

SaturnReturn
15th February 2011, 10:44 PM
Mate did you see any of the other deaths at the end of the game?? The regenerating thing is amazing when it kills you, implaes you, cuts off your legs, then your arms, lets you scream for a bit, then chops off your head :)

Smilie face just makes that whole statement hilarious. :D

amplificated
16th February 2011, 12:05 AM
Force Gun - Not particularly powerful, but great for crowd control. If I was backed into a corner, a quick shot of this would send those necros away and then I could cut them up with something else. This weapon is perfect against the Pack and the Crawlers though - one shot kills on them not to mention a spread fire.

The force gun was so much better in the first game IMO. Have you tried the ripper yet? Although it seemed pretty cool I didn't like it that much in the first game, but it seems better now, and much better than the force gun for crowd control - it's very powerful, stops necromorphs in their tracks as soon as they get hit, and the blade lasts for ages, so it's very good for ammo conservation - you can just wave it around and kill heaps. If anything comes at you from a bad angle, stasis.

I still think the flame thrower is a waste of time, although it's better than it was in the first game too.

Tried hardcore today.
Died 10 paces away from disk 2 and hadn't saved it....

Where does disk 2 start? /hasgameonps3

Dark_Phantom_89
16th February 2011, 07:15 AM
The force gun was so much better in the first game IMO. Have you tried the ripper yet? Although it seemed pretty cool I didn't like it that much in the first game, but it seems better now, and much better than the force gun for crowd control - it's very powerful, stops necromorphs in their tracks as soon as they get hit, and the blade lasts for ages, so it's very good for ammo conservation - you can just wave it around and kill heaps. If anything comes at you from a bad angle, stasis.

I haven't used the Ripper in DS2 yet and kind of forgot about it. It was sitting in the Store but by the time I had got the Schematic for it, I had started to upgrade my weapons a bit and didn't really fancy spending 5,000 credits to respec the power nodes to it. But I'll definitely give it a whirl - it was great in the first one. :+

I still think the flame thrower is a waste of time, although it's better than it was in the first game too.

I find it funny that the Flamethrower still works when in a vacuum. Try it. :g

Where does disk 2 start? /hasgameonps3

I think it starts on Chapter 7, which means that the Xbox owners have an advantage in that they get an automatic save there.

OBH
16th February 2011, 08:51 AM
Really!!??
As far as I was aware you don't get a save there as whenever you die it says "load up your previous hardcore save?" and takes you to the save game screen.

If you dont have a save, then back to the main menu you go.

Dark_Phantom_89
16th February 2011, 08:59 AM
On the Xbox, if you die after Chapter 7 but haven't saved, you won't be taken back to the Main Menu - you'll get to carry on from Chapter 7. However, if you turn the system off then you'll have to start again so you'd need to save at some point after Chapter 7 in order to make it stick. Still an advantage though.