PDA

View Full Version : Thaïland

Asayyeah
1st February 2011, 04:55 PM
I could have posted it into the WZ mini-convention thread but 'sadly' it's not a wipeout related trip ( my first one for a long time !!)
I am glad to be invited for almost a month by friends who are living in Bangkok.
It's my first time in Asia and i am looking forward to meet one of the smiliest people of the world.
One of my friend, Pascal, has been working in the same insurance firm as I did 20 years ago, he decided to change from countrie and move to Asia before finding the right place in Thailand where he met his current girlfriend Muï.
I am going to join them in Bangkok then follow our other friends in a fishers citie 200 kms near for 5 days , go back to bangkok to feel the air of this impressive citie and get a plane to south islands : kha pha ngam, kho phi phi, kha sa mui for a bloody amazing fortnight.

If you want to share your previous Thaïland experience, feel free to post, I would be very happy to know your feelings about this country. If you got tips or cool stories, please share them.

I m moving from 3rd feb to 2nd march

Temet
1st February 2011, 05:46 PM
Good trip my friend!!!!
I will be happy to hear you share your memories in few months ;)

KGB
1st February 2011, 05:49 PM
Cool, I spent about 4 weeks there back in 93. I can honestly say it was the strangest experience of my life.

Bangkok is just nuts - the heat, smell, traffic and sheer noise is overpowering. The famous place where all backpackers went then was Khao San Road. Full of bars and strip joints all waiting to take your money off you. You have to go Asa :)

Took a train down south and got on a boat for Koh Phangan, just in time for one of the Full Moon Parties :D. Speed mixed into drinks was what everyone was doing back then as I think you could legally buy it over the counter there. Mushroom Omelettes, and E, what a mixture!. It took me a week to sort my head out after that.

Went over to Koh Samui to have a bit of peace and got ill, lost my eyesight for a day and had to be helped to a medical center by some Rastafarian Thai lads who ran Rasta Baby Bungalows (the place where I was staying) - Bongs on the counter and Reggae playing all day = very relaxed me :).

Best time of my life, take some pictures mate.

Mad-Ice
1st February 2011, 05:51 PM
Have a safe a wonderful trip my dear friend! I am looking forward to hear all your stories.

Greetz Mad-Ice

MyNameIsBom
1st February 2011, 06:01 PM
deleted

blackwiggle
1st February 2011, 09:12 PM
Just stay away from Phuket, it's been totally ruined by UK, German & USA tourists.

Thai food is excellent, everything is light and fresh, but beware of what's called "Jungle Curry", it's extremely hot.

You have to try a soup that has prawns, chilli, lemongrass, caffa lime leaves and a fish paste called Tom Yung goon, it's the most delicious dish you could ever imagine.

Thai Fish cakes are also totally different to the greasy muck European fishcakes are like.

Curries go from Yellow[ very mild],Green [spicier] Red [a bit hotter] Jungle [ a version of Green but very hot]

Thai people are very welcoming, but be warned, there has been some civil unrest there recently and tourists have been stuck in Airports for up to a week unable to leave the country.

Also, this may seem unlikely to happen to you, but be careful about getting into conversations about politics in Thailand, you can be jailed if overheard criticizing the King, it's happened to a few people late last year, probably not mentioned in the European News, but it was given as a travel warning to Australian/New Zealand people as some have fallen foul of this.

MyNameIsBom
1st February 2011, 10:03 PM
deleted

KGB
2nd February 2011, 08:49 AM
If a tuk-tuk driver tells you he is going to make a little stop somewhere on route to your destination say no! You will end up in some high class jewellery store with some other extremely confused travellers, with equally as little money to spend.

Don't point at people with your feet, they don't like that, not that it is a usual thing to do, the finger is quicker I found.

(Dare I make this remark)
Yeah, those Lady-Boys are right c**k teasing bastards, stay away, they will just break your heart.
(did it) :) (the joke, not "did it" with a lady-boy)

Challenger #001
2nd February 2011, 09:56 AM
Was just thinking, what was Mrs KGB's opinion on that. xD

blackwiggle
2nd February 2011, 10:00 AM
Love you long time maybe?;)

KGB
2nd February 2011, 10:40 AM
Just a joke, didn't happen ;)

There wasn't a Mrs kgb in 1993, I was only 22.

One of my favourite things to eat is Chicken Pad Thai, though I never had it in Thailand, is it even a Thai dish?

stin
2nd February 2011, 04:53 PM
Don`t forget to bring small rubber with you and stay safe!!;)

Mate, you will enjoy and don`t get too drunk!

stevie:)

stinkleroy
4th February 2011, 10:20 PM
Have a fantastic trip Arnaud! Savour every moment and live it to the full....like I have to tell you that ;)

Looking forward to your stories when you return :)

P.s. LOL Stevie! ;)

MyNameIsBom
5th February 2011, 04:48 AM
deleted

KGB
5th February 2011, 12:16 PM
Well it does seem obvious, but there's plenty of things in my local Indian that people from India will have never eaten.

Have you got a good recipe for Pad Thai ;), I've never made one that has ever came close to what I consider right?

Medusa
5th February 2011, 02:15 PM
Can I second that request? Heeey, if nobody else already has a recipe, maybe Asa can bring a recipe home as a souvenir. Or if nothing else find a nice Thai girl who can give us a recipe?
(Enjoy your holidays Asa!)

JJPAP
5th February 2011, 03:32 PM
Have a great trip, Asa :nod

Couldn´t stop laughing, while making dinner for the kids, imagining Asa sitting on an overly crowded and polluted corner in central Bangkok, shouting with sweat running down his forehead and a psp in his hand: "I´ll show you ****ing WipEout - If you give me that ****ing receipe!!!" LOL

Have a super holiday, my friend! :)

MyNameIsBom
5th February 2011, 04:04 PM
deleted

stin
5th February 2011, 04:19 PM
Asa is having a ball in Thailand!!!

stevie:)

KGB
5th February 2011, 04:28 PM
Result :D!. Cheers mate, you don't know how happy that will make me. I've asked a Thai chef before for a recipe but he wasn't to keen on giving it over :frown:.

I had something on Koh Phan Ngan that was called "no name surprise" or something like that I think. Have you heard of them? They were kind of like Bhajis. They would go well with the Pad Thai ;)

MyNameIsBom
5th February 2011, 04:33 PM
deleted

KGB
5th February 2011, 04:40 PM
Koh Phan Ngan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Pha_Ngan) or the food (http://bagsofflavour.blogspot.com/2009/07/thailand-no-name-vegetables.html). This must of been it.

MyNameIsBom
5th February 2011, 04:46 PM
deleted

Asayyeah
4th March 2011, 02:22 PM
ว้าว! เป็นเดือนการท่องเที่ยวที่ดีที่สุดของฉันเท่าที่เคยม ี! ประเทศไทย: คนไทย, วัฒนธรรมไทย, อาหารไทย, นิสัยคนไทยทุกสิ่งทุกอย่างนี้อยู่เหนือความคาดหมายขอ งฉันฉันรู้สึกเหมือนตกจากที่สูงเมื่อฉันกำลังกลับมาท ี่ประเทศของฉัน. ฉันจะกลับไปเมืองไทยอีก :p

stin
4th March 2011, 03:20 PM
So, you are going back to Thailand again, right?:twisted, you will be a pensioner by then!:P

I`m glad you had enjoyed it!:nod:+

stevie:D

Medusa
4th March 2011, 06:18 PM
Jeez asa you go get a recipe and then write it in Thai??? LOL just kidding...

Aeroracer
4th March 2011, 06:45 PM
im a genius......:p

asa said

"Wow!! month tour with the best of me ever! Thailand: Thai, Thai culture, Thai food, Thai people, and everything is over expectations of me, I felt like a fall from that height when I'm back to my country. I will return to Thailand."

i can speak all languages..honest i didnt use translator :p

Asayyeah
4th March 2011, 07:13 PM
Actually you spot it right Stevie, depending on what will happen to me in the next months I shall be back end of this year :)
Here's the translation ( thanks to Pascal's girlfriend : Moui ):
" WOW! What a month trip for me, my best ever! Thailand : his people, his culture, his food, his spirit everything was above what i expected. I feel knock down being back into my country. I'll be back "

I did write a semi-road trip, pictures and 1 hour & half video, i will post the best parts here pretty soon
:P

Lol Medusa, and yes got a recipe in thai but shhh it's a private one :rock

Spot on Jasmin ;)

DJ Techno
10th March 2011, 06:11 AM
oh if you were still in thailand, i would told ya to say hi to my friend from my church thomas franks.

doing a long camera/broadcasting for the religous or cultural mix thing in the country. hes been doing it for two years now.

if you went through the southern part of the land. you couldnt have missed it. kinda

MyNameIsBom
12th March 2011, 05:14 AM
deleted