PDA

View Full Version : New WipEout?

chalovak
27th January 2011, 05:48 AM
Hello, everybody. Just wanted to share this:
Today new next-gen PSP was announced, it's called NGP - Next Generation Portable. What's interesting, some WipEout was demonstrated on this new console. Here is a link to the news.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/27/ps_meeting_2011/ It's a real-time blog covering this event. Anyway...
Look at 15:38.
15:38 -- They show a version of Wipeout controlled with gyro controls.

Oryx Crake
27th January 2011, 05:55 AM
WEEEEEE there will be more wipeoutlove! hopefully they'll let both psp and ps3 users compete on the same servers this time (same game I mean)

jesse9705
27th January 2011, 07:08 AM
posted by Playstation on facebook

PlayStation
Meet the NGP, slated for release in the holiday season this year! The Next Generation Portable has a 5-inch OLED touch screen, dual analog sticks, rear touch panel, 3G & GPS. Games shown off include UNCHARTED, Resistance, Killzone, LBP, WipEout, Gravity, Daze, Broken, Reality Fighters and more.
:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper YESSS!!! new wipeout

chalovak
27th January 2011, 07:13 AM
Congratulations, I assume! =)

Mu5
27th January 2011, 08:04 AM
Sweet :beer There are some nice pics on Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/) of the PSP2 if you want to see it.

Kotaku has a video of the show... http://kotaku.com/5744297/live-from-sonys-tokyo-press-conference

tommyjolly
27th January 2011, 08:07 AM
It looks to be WipeoutHD on the NGP.
One developer has said it took them one week to port an already existing PS3 game over to the NGP.
Apparently Uncharted for that system looks like it does on the PS3, according to the press.

At 1:05:50 you can see Wipeout NGP in action using Sixaxis and it looks exactly like HD:
http://en.justin.tv/syakinta/b/278354305?

The quality is terrible but at least it is something.

Temet
27th January 2011, 09:57 AM
Nooooooooo, it's Chengou !!!
Not again a port from HD, which is already a port from Pure&Pulse !!!! :blarg

KGB
27th January 2011, 10:08 AM
Just beat me to it Temet, it looks like CP forward to me as well.

infoxicated
27th January 2011, 10:15 AM
I take it barrel rolls are performed by throwing your PSP2 up in the air? :|

Koleax
27th January 2011, 10:54 AM
Ugh, please no more exclusive portable versions of Wipeout. :(

Wipeout belongs on a screen you can't lift.

Sausehuhn
27th January 2011, 11:07 AM
As said, it looks like a port only.

There is hope they got rid of the bugs …

Koleax
27th January 2011, 11:17 AM
I know, but, Wipeout HD already was ported content from the PSP. So it seems like they have this fascination with keeping the franchise on a mobile device.

Maybe they got rid of the ads, too. Now it's starting to sound kinda good...

F.E.I.S.A.R
27th January 2011, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure about this...Hardware looks good,but the PSPGo was a fail. It cost 2/3 as much as the PS3. The hardware on this one is said to be as powerful as the PS3. How much do you think it may cost? More than the Razer Switchblade?

Sausehuhn
27th January 2011, 11:52 AM
I may ask who is willing to pay a game twice, when it’s basically a 1:1 port – I do not consider WOHD to be a port of Pure and Pulse, only because it shares the same tracks; overall WOHD is a completely different game. But in the case of the PSP2 it’s really just a port.

Let’s see if they’ll sell PS3-PSP2-combinations of games that are „only“ ported. I doubt that, though. And I’m pretty sure we will see quite a few bugs in that next WipEout game. Something like PS2’s Pulse which does not support L2 and R2 because it’s a 1:1 port of the PSP version, only with better textures.

It may be a cheap way to get a lot of money – develop a game, break down the studio, get someone who ports the whole thing without really „understanding“ the game and sell a million copies :?

I really do hope it’s not the case for that next WipEout.

F.E.I.S.A.R
27th January 2011, 11:58 AM
Are they doing this just to compete with the 3DS? It now has an "analog" stick. Don't know how that works,but Ridge Racer 3DS uses that.
I'm thinking Ridge Racer and Ridge Racer 2 for the PSP ._.

Nutcase:259
27th January 2011, 12:09 PM
dont the psp and ps3 both use the same psn store? could you not just go on this 'NGP' thingy and just download the already purchased WipEout HD/Fury. surly if its an identical game,
why would I pay twice to have the privilege of looking like a moron on the bus? :lol

lets hope its actually some uber wipeout that's both psp2/ps3 and includes everytrack ever, plus new ones eh? :D :+

XpanDrome2097
27th January 2011, 12:26 PM
I can't see the link with the video, but are are you sure about this port from ps3 without any innovation?
I've think about a sample video, with an old track, just to show the psp2 potentials, and, of course, the new WipEout will be more better.
...or, if this HD's port is real, just an appetizer in anticipation for the new and REAL new WipEout game...
In every case, if this HD's port can happen, am not surprised about this, if I consider the last Sony and SL's misadventures...

infoxicated
27th January 2011, 12:36 PM

We would not have been able to do the first convention if it wasn't for WipEout Pure.

I'd take another portable one, especially if it really was a return to basics and the barrel rolls were removed.

XpanDrome2097
27th January 2011, 12:44 PM
I agree with you, infoxicated: I don't like barrel rolls, they are very unrealistic and without any logic physics for me.

F.E.I.S.A.R
27th January 2011, 01:06 PM
Hyperthrust had some logic. Use of shield to boost your ship at the touch of a button. BRs,you had to have a successful roll. If not,you waste shield energy.
Wait...won't Speed Lap be "Unbeatable" if unlimited HT is allowed? Unless there is a certain cap to which after shield levels drop below that,HT is disabled?
Beat Zico with HyperThrust. Hm...

kaori
27th January 2011, 02:16 PM
As said, it looks like a port only.

There is hope they got rid of the bugs …

We only saw 5 seconds of WipEout for a hardware's trailer, so WipEout NGP won't surely be WipEout HD Portable, and I hope that.
WipEout Pure & Pulse will stay better than a WipEout HD portable.

Temet
27th January 2011, 02:19 PM
I personaly hate hyperthrust.
This is the main reason why I prefered 2097 compared to 3.

Sideshifting is ok, as long as it doesn't provide extra speed when sideshifting on SP or when you see a rabbit cross the road...

I'm part of those who would like :
- no BR
- really faster (at least like Pulse)
- airbreaks that have a physical effect like on 2097... on Pulse or HD they are not airbreaks but just "you can turn more if you push me" buttons...
- more importance of pitching... so tracks with more relief

But, I'm pretty sure I will be disapointed...

EDIT : and for God sake, in 2011... don't provide us only 8 f*cking tracks!!!!

RJ O'Connell
27th January 2011, 02:54 PM

If there's a Wipeout game available at launch, it'll sell plenty. It's a good business move.

I would have skipped on the original PSP had Wipeout Pure not been around. Same with the NGP.

Alright, obligatory whacked-out fairytale wishful thinking wish list time*

*assuming this is an entirely new game or will at least have new stuff added on to HD

- Track Creator. I wasn't convinced about this feature being viable in a Wipeout game, until I saw how good the track creator in ModNation Racers is, and even GT5's Random Track Generator counts. No better time for Wipeout to jump on board, I say. And surely some of you are talented enough to do a 1:1 recreation of everything from Gare D'Europa to Rainbow Road to a futuristic version of Silverstone.

- Return of Custom Skins But instead of a pre-canned editor with limited colors, Sony should offer free, downloadable .PSD templates to fit each ship in the game. Then you can save them in TGA/BMP/PNG, load them onto the memory stick/SD card/whatever, then import them into the game. Voila.

More online features such as:

- Selectable Weapons Amazingly, this has only been in one game ever in this series, and it's the one everybody hates for some reason - Fusion. In this case, the host would be able to go into a menu and toggle through all the available weapons, and be able to switch them all on, all off, or only a few on, or just turn off some really stupidly overpowered weapon. Being able to adjust the number of working weapon pads on track during a race would be interesting as well.

- Perma-Death Present in Pulse, absent in HD/Fury. This can be turned on/off, of course.

- Ship Restrictions Let's say you wanted to run a "barge league" - so you could change a setting that would restrict entry to a race to ships with ≤7 points of Handling. Or you could just set it to be a one-make series (all-Mirage MAGEC World Championship races anyone?)

Now I'll weigh in on

- Barrel Rolls I'm pretty indifferent about this to be honest. Ridge Racer added in Nitrous, rumors are rampant that if a new F-Zero was made it would have weapons, Burnout went open-world, Mario Kart Wii had motorcycles. There's always going to be something thrown into a new game that upsets 5-50% of a series' diehard fanbase. It's not realistic at all, and this point has been hammered in repeatedly - but it does add another wrinkle to the gameplay, especially for no-weapons races online. Take them out entirely and you please most of the hardcore fans, but others will see it as "Sony taking more stuff away from gamers because that's what they do lol" or laziness by the developers.

We got until this holiday season at least to piece everything together...

JABBERJAW
27th January 2011, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know if you can

1) use a ps3 controller on this device
2) play it on a television

Wouldn't mind another console :)

someguy789
27th January 2011, 04:28 PM
Yes!
This made me to decide to buy one :D

JABBERJAW
27th January 2011, 04:44 PM
so that is a yes for both things, tv and ps3 controller? that is awesome if that is the case, will definitely get one

Spaceboy Gajo
27th January 2011, 04:45 PM
I've been wondering the same thing Al, if you could use a PS3 controller on the NGP. It sure packed with a lot of goodies.

I am wondering if it'll have some sort of connectivity to the PS3. If there's one feature I've used a lot on my PSP it's Remote Play.

Any ways, as for the demonstration that showed Wipeout being played on the NGP, I have yet to see it. However, my best guess would be that this is not how the game will actually look and something that was quickly or easily ported to show off the hardware and performance for the conference. Meanwhile, at Studio Liverpool, the boys and girls there are hard at work making a proper new launch title to sell when the NGP is released to the public. Hopefully with a better name for the portable console :P

Honestly we fans, and I'm sure the press too, wouldn't let Sony get away with giving us a port of the game. Sony has done a lot of baffling things but right now, but they cannot do something like releasing a port for a new piece of hardware. That kind of press and ill will is not what they need. Especially if this is something that is meant to play games and get users away from all those smartphones and tablets.

However if it is indeed a port, I'm with Nutcase:259 and expect to download my already purchased Wipeout HD/Fury :P

MrSmadSmartAlex
27th January 2011, 04:55 PM
What a shame if it's only a port of WOHD. I'd have considered buying this system for something new, but I have no interest in that game. Still, it may have only been to demonstrate the hardware, so a new Wipeout could still happen.

RJ O'Connell
27th January 2011, 04:58 PM
NGP is a good name for it, more creative than PSP2 at least. Just my opinion.

Connavar
27th January 2011, 05:13 PM
It's chenghou forward, but I noticed the polygon count has been lowered a bit
on the backgrounds. Still very close to the PS3 version.

I'm sure it won't just be a port of HD/Fury, because they don't want to alienate
the existing fanbase, so at the very least we'll have new tracks, but personally
I hope we see the next Wipeout, and that HD+Fury tracks are all included as
well as a bonus (because they have the HD assets already).

If we just see new tracks, then we'll probably have a PS3 DLC as well.

MrSmadSmartAlex
27th January 2011, 05:20 PM

It sounds good as a codename now, but it'd sound quite silly when the system is released if it was still called Next Generation Portable, and even sillier when it's successor is released. :D

JJPAP
27th January 2011, 05:25 PM
How much do you think it may cost?

When doing a new portable device as the NGP, I guess there must be some kind of upper-limit to the price (if they want to sell any). My estimate would be a retail price of 299 US dollars.

Does anyone know if you can

1) use a ps3 controller on this device
2) play it on a television

Well, the PSP GO already fulfill these criterias, so I don´t see why the NGP wouldn´t.

I prefer a stick to a punctured nipple:
What really turns me on is small sticks. I owe a PSP (slim version, I think). Bought it - after starting playing WOHD - solely to play Pure and Pulse, (when on holiday or when the missus has the idea that she is going to occupy the TV watching some stupid girl-stuff ...) Can´t cope with the punctured nipples, though.
Some are old-time button-pushers, but I "grew up" with a stick - and never became too happy with the limitations of the PSP in this regard. If the sticks on the NGP is anything like (feeling-wise) the sticks on PS3-controller I´m sold.
If not: A no-no for me - (and I´ll leave the old machine with the punctured nipples and the punctured battery on the floor as well) :lol

Connavar
27th January 2011, 05:33 PM
Well then I have good news for you, they're more like PS3 sticks, than the PSP
nub. Various hands-on reports confirmed this :)

Darkdrium777
27th January 2011, 05:47 PM
Of course it's going to be a port. The machine is advertised as a portable PS3.
Making a WipEout game that isn't on PS3 doesn't compute IMO.

I still want to see it. WipEout HD Fury on a PSP is still quite amazing.

Connavar
27th January 2011, 05:51 PM
The PSP was advertised as a portable PS2 and had exclusive Wipeouts ...

So we can't exclude this now, however after seeing Chenghou footage, it's likely
a port, but with probably some (8?) extra tracks, and maybe they would be
available as DLC for PS3 as well, so great news to us all.

leungbok
27th January 2011, 07:22 PM
I'm part of those who would like :
- no BR

Selfish opinion ! There's already an option to desactivate BRs on wipeout HD for BR haters :rolleyes: . The only thing needed is a separate ranking with BRs races and no BRs races that's all !!

Spaceboy Gajo
27th January 2011, 07:59 PM

The name does roll off the tongue, but I find that it's too close to the side talkin' Nokia N-Gage. At least for me.

As cool as it is to have HD/Fury on a portable, it'd still rub me, and I'm sure many others, the wrong way if Sony decided that is all we need. You're not going to get that many new users by releasing a port to a game that is already a must have for PS3 owners.

I think we should be due for a new installment in the Wipeout franchise, it's been like five years since we made the jump from Fusion to Pure. As great as the features on the NGP sounds, I'd rather get a smartphone if all we got was a HD/Fury port.

If we got a new Wipeout game, forget my plans in getting a smartphone, I'd be swayed in picking up a NGP. Just like when I first played a friend's copy of Pure and immediately wanted a PSP.

lovedr
27th January 2011, 09:59 PM
liking the NGP (preferred PSP2 name) and new wipeout a lot, will be obtaining both even if this is a port n few extras would prefer completely new and (ideally) ps3 dlc to plug the wait until.

hardware spec looks pretty good too if features get nicely exploited.

be really nice to have one new wipeout game (same version that works both on NGP and PS3) that can also be played on the move (NGP) and then auto-sync'd when home and carry on as one game back on the ps3 - yes?

RJ O'Connell
27th January 2011, 11:38 PM
Sounds a little far-fetched, but it'd be kinda neat.

I think if it was "just" Wipeout Fury on handheld that they'd add some new stuff to it. It'd be sort of stupid not to do that, but still not as stupid as the whole Wipeout Pulse DLC debacle that killed any chance of that game taking off.

DawnFireDragoon
28th January 2011, 12:16 AM
going on sony advertising for someone a while back to work on a new wipeout, i would hazard a guess that they just used the chenghou footage as a placeholder to show a new wipeout is coming, as they maybe don't have any good footage of the actual new game.

well, that's my hope anyway, as i would really like an entirely new wipeout myself.

As for the NGP itself, it's full of tech, but i hope they actually support this piece of hardware with good games and lots of them and not just a few releases and loads of rubbish gimmicks based on that touch pad and the dual camera's. Also, no doubt Sony will rip off european gamers with the price, as per usual :(

RJ O'Connell
28th January 2011, 01:04 AM
Think about these parallels

PSP/Wipeout Pure comes out years after Fusion leaves the series' future in doubt. Now, NGP/Wipeout ???? set to arrive a year or two after SL was thought to be shutting down for good.

Aeroracer
28th January 2011, 01:22 AM
just looks to me that this new portable is ps3 comaptible..cant se any evidence to suggest new wipeoout is even a 1:1 port..im sure foxy would know about if they were doing something new...

Darkdrium777
28th January 2011, 03:34 AM
Sizzle video on Youtube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3EloCX9hy8)

The WipEout HD footage is clearly edited, and badly at that. They show a split second of a track before cutting to Chengou.

tommyjolly
28th January 2011, 07:38 AM
To be fair though:
Even if we have just seen 2 seconds of the game it already does look awesome (take a look at Darkdrium's link).
I don't own a PS3 and always liked Wipeout HD, especially online.
I used to play it on my old housemates PS3 quite a lot and would love to have it at home.
As I'm not gamer I can't justify the price tag for a PS3 but might be tempted for a NGP, to use it in bed or something.

TH4YA1
28th January 2011, 09:56 AM
On this Video you can see the Wipeout scene better.

Time: 1:23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3EloCX9hy8

Mad-Ice
28th January 2011, 12:02 PM
I hope the NGP will be as powerfull as the PS3, so we can use remote-play as was intended. Right now a lot of content from the PS3 can't be played on the PSP.

We will just have to wait and see if we get a totally new Wipeout on the NGP and if we do it will be playable on PS3 too. I am pretty sure about this. So we will get 2 Wipeouts in one go!!!!

If it's just a 1:1 port of HD/FURY then it will be possible to sync game progress.

Let's hope that this new portable system will give us a totally new Wipeout.

Greetz Mad-Ice

JJPAP
28th January 2011, 12:19 PM
The "Mysterious" Track

As DD pointed out, there´s little less than a sec of a (unknown?) track before Chenghou.

Was really bored at work today ... So I lifted the frames from the best vid I could find (which wasn´t very good!) on the www - and came up with the attachment.

Quite hard to see much - a virtual beer to anyone who recognizes the track ... :beer ... (10 if it´s a new track!) :nod

Mad-Ice
28th January 2011, 12:33 PM
Nice job JJPAP!:+ Looks like Tech Da Ra to me!?

Temet
28th January 2011, 12:47 PM
The HUD is the one of HD, that is 100% sure.
This is scaring me... I want a new Wipe, a lot of new tracks... pleaaase !!!

JJPAP
28th January 2011, 02:50 PM
Made a short vid as well ... (Really bored, LOL) :rolleyes:

"Mysterious Track" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfV2ck8Nwgo)

Yes, Mad-I: It might be TDR, (but I´m not absolutely certain ... I just watched some races from TDR and it´s not easy to point out from exactly where at TDR).

and

Yes, Temet: It´s definately the HD-hud.

Well, I better have a glass of wine before I start phoning Sony to get an answer ... :D

Medusa
28th January 2011, 02:55 PM
I just think Delta pack from Pure when I see that...I don't know why, but that's what I see...
Anyway, the last thing I'd get is another handheld, so whatever happens with the NGP, I hope it's released on PS3 too...

Wouldn't everyone be thrilled if it was just ports...at least that would be better than releasing a bunch of downloadable only content that can only be bought by people in select countries, while advertising that it can be had by everyone.
DON'T SCREW IT UP SONY!!!

DawnFireDragoon
28th January 2011, 05:23 PM
i really hope it's not just a port. also i really hope it has some tree's in this one. And is more of a gritty future like in the original few games.

Vincent_VII
28th January 2011, 06:32 PM
I would be happy if it's a direct port of HD as long as it supports NGP to PS3 play.

supersocks
28th January 2011, 07:14 PM
JJPAP: Anulpha Pass

http://www.omamoka.com/stuff/obvious_anulpha_is_obvious.jpg

leungbok
28th January 2011, 07:55 PM
Off course it would be awesome to see a brand new wipeout coming :)
But, even if it's a port, a wipeoutHD/fury on psp with... :
- all the known glitches fixed (except syncopia, lol).
- less powerfull weapons.
- 3/4 new tracks from pure & pulse.
- a replay mode like GT5's.
- a skin editor :hyper
- new modes, especially a mutiplayer timetrial.
- maybe speed increased.
- option to desactivate BR. (let's be friend :D)
- more leaderboards (with BR on/off...)
- new zico challenge :lol
...could makes me bying a NGP ;)

Darkdrium777
28th January 2011, 10:43 PM
Yeppers, it's Anulpha Pass. Thanks for slowing down the video JJPAP. :)
Most likely a straight port of WipEout HD Fury then.

I am wondering about this but before I ask, I know the answer is most likely going to be "you'll have to buy it again."
I like WipEout HD but I don't really feel like buying another digital copy (I'd rather get a disc yeah, but that didn't happen :/) so could there be a chance that the game would be updated to fit cross platform?

blackwiggle
28th January 2011, 10:46 PM
I'll hazard a guess that if any "New" Wipeout tracks appear for the NGP, then they will just be the previously unreleased in the U.S.A. PULSE DLC tracks with HD front end.
That picture of the mystery track makes me think so.

I really doubt we would get a totally new Wipeout.
It takes a lot longer than the year it's been since the SL retrenchments to make a new game, especially with a smaller team,[plus we know Zico was working on the Wipeout Museum in HOME] and the fact that we were told by SL people that Sony had stopped any further Wipeout games or HD DLC before FURY was released.

JABBERJAW
28th January 2011, 11:12 PM
I just realized that I will like it better than hd, even if it is a direct port. there will be almost no lag playing someone in the same room! Only sucky thing is, it doesn't have tv out :(

Darkdrium777
28th January 2011, 11:39 PM
I'll hazard a guess that if any "New" Wipeout tracks appear for the NGP, then they will just be the previously unreleased in the U.S.A. PULSE DLC tracks with HD front end.
That picture of the mystery track makes me think so.It's already been said by supersocks that this "mystery track" is Anulpha Pass...

And why the DLC tracks? HD and Fury tracks were chosen because they played the best. I am sorry but Gemini Dam plays really bad, though not nearly as Outpost 7 and far from Citta Nuova. It wouldn't make sense anyways. And one variant of the underground one isn't so good either.

blackwiggle
29th January 2011, 12:12 AM
IMHO the original picture of the mystery track lifted from the video by JJAP, doesn't look like the picture of Anulpha posted by supersocks.

Q:Why the DLC tracks?
A:So SCEA can legitimately advertise that they are NEW tracks to the U.S. market, as they have never been released there, even though they are 5 years old for European players that have PULSE.

SCEA doesn't give a toss about Wipeout or it's fans, all it cares about is getting "A" product out that fills the brief given them, at the cheapest possible price and at the least inconvenience to them.
If it's brushing up some previously unreleased DLC and trying to pass it off as NEW, do you honestly think they wouldn't?
Come on, look at their track record, it stinks where Wipeout is concerned.

I never thought the DLC tracks for PULSE were much fun to race on either compared to the full game.

MrSmadSmartAlex
29th January 2011, 12:13 AM
Gemini Dam plays really bad.

It's the best Wipeout track! :pirate

Mad-Ice
29th January 2011, 09:45 AM
Yes, Anulpha Pass! Great find Supersocks! :+ Now let's just hope they only show us tracks we already know, because the new game isn't good enough to show in a trailer.

I just realized that I will like it better than hd, even if it is a direct port. there will be almost no lag playing someone in the same room! Only sucky thing is, it doesn't have tv out :(

Why do you think it will not have TV-out?

Anyway, I will be very happy with a direct port of HD/FURY too. I can play it everywhere and it will be more easily to organise an adhoc real life meeting like the EWC.

Greetz Mad-Ice

leungbok
29th January 2011, 11:48 AM
Why do you think it will not have TV-out?
I'm afraid Al's right :? http://www.pspgen.com/psp-2-japon-playstation-metting-27-janvier-2011-angle-zoom-343733,195887.html?page=1
Except if there's a chance to use usb for that.

I'm with you Mad-Ice, even if i really hope some new stuff, having wipeout HD/FURY on a psp together with pure & pulse is very exciting :rock

kaori
29th January 2011, 01:39 PM
The PSPgo use the same port to battery charge, PC connect and TV-Out ;)

blackwiggle
29th January 2011, 02:32 PM
I agree Kaori.

Only because I hate racing PURE/PULSE via PSP controls.
The small screen ****s me right up .

I have never a been a AdHoc racer.
Just "Fight the Fight your in" situation.

JABBERJAW
30th January 2011, 12:23 AM
I had read somewhere that it was "confirmed" it did not have tv out. I'm sure it will be in version two where you need to pay 200$ more for a new one. no reason not to have it in this one other than that. hopefully at least a ps3 controller will work, then I can sit a little different while playing it.

CPROSICK
30th January 2011, 01:50 AM
the device is just a prototype,,,

The Wipeout Game is probably old... (but arn't they releasing a Wipeout<3D>? in FEB?) ...not that I have a 3d setup anyWAY!
~C

Lion
1st February 2011, 07:37 AM
The 3D on WipEoutHD isn't all that useful. In GT5 it makes a difference to me for braking points, but I generally don't have time to think about that in HD so it's just eyecandy :)

sweet, sweet eyecandy :P

Sausehuhn
1st February 2011, 08:33 AM
[…] but arn't they releasing a Wipeout<3D>? in FEB? […]

Did I miss something here? I though the 3D-update for WOHD is available for several months now. Or are you talking about a completely new WipEout?

Xavier
1st February 2011, 04:18 PM
Would love to see a new Wipeout on the PSP2; I'm realizing that if the PSP2 has Wipeout, I'll buy one, and if the 3DS has F-Zero, I'll buy one. :D

But since I hate 3D (thanks a lot, Nintendo; some of us have impaired vision and can't enjoy your product), I really want to go with the NGP for my next handheld.

Some of the things I want probably won't make into a handheld game that's being rushed out with reused assets. They'll probably have to wait until the next PS3/console game, but:

* High quality ship skins and customization. Make high-resolutions patterns and official Wipeout fonts available for us to work with. Like the ship stickers in F-Zero GX, but with more detail.

* If not a complete track editor, an online tournament customization tool that lets us make our own banners and signs to hang on the course. While I kind of like the fictional advertisers that were created for some of it, I'm tired of seeing the same old names on all the signage.

* Integrate that with us, the players -- how about a sign displaying global leaders' names and times? Names of people online who are looking for races; announcements ("Mr. and Mrs. McDougal, your lost child is at the information desk... and Speedster_ZeroXXX, BobbyPhantom, and 2 other racers and are looking for racing partners at Vineta K..."

* None of those weird courses (Cardcity, 123Klan, etc.) ever made it to the US either, though it was at least possible to acquire the EU game and download them that way (unlike with Pulse). Could those be re-skinned to look more "normal" and adapted for racing?

MrSmadSmartAlex
1st February 2011, 05:20 PM
If Khara Descent was reskinned as the Sci-Fi track, the others can be reskinned too. Why would you want to adapt the Omega tracks for racing though? They're some of the best tracks in the game to race on IMO. ;)

edit: I like your ideas about signs btw. I'd think that'd be very easy to implement.

MyNameIsBom
1st February 2011, 11:27 PM

I wouldnt buy wipeout at all then!! xD LOL

Dogg Thang
2nd February 2011, 07:28 AM
Personally, I'd be incredibly disappointed if it turned out to be a port of the PS3 one. But, given how early almost everything seemed in that presentation, my feeling is that Wipeout was just shown more as a demo than a glimpse of the real game. There's probably close to a year left before the NGP is released in any territory and that first territory is likely to be Japan. There could be a lot of time left before any Wipeout game needs to be released, if it even makes it to completion.

Whereas, it was stated that PS3 games were ported as demos (think that's what they said about MGS4). Wipeout was probably the same.

I'm really hoping we get a whole new Wipeout. A great Wipeout.

lunar
3rd February 2011, 11:20 AM

LOL hilarious!! :g

I'd take another portable one, especially if it really was a return to basics and the barrel rolls were removed.

Me too, on those conditions, but I would only buy the hardware if there was also a whole new game`s worth of original content, online play was supported, ads were not supported, the system and game were hacker-proof at least for a while and bugs/glitches from Pure/Pulse/HD were fixed. I find handhelds a lot more convenient for online play, but I don`t think I`d rush in to buy a new system/device for a wipeout this time. Overall it`s good news for all of us though!

leungbok
3rd February 2011, 11:50 AM
removing Barrel roll = big part of the wipers will not be interested IMO ! :rolleyes:
I understand that some don't like barrel rolls, but options to desactivate them ALREADY EXISTS in HD. The only feature lacking is separate rankings (on/off BR). But i know that SL will remove them as they recently only did the choice of the casual players instead of the hardcore one's (pilot-assist, BR desactivation's option, removing of bsb, eliminator mode instead of online TT...). When wipeout will becomes the easy game that everybody wants i'll quit that franchise for sure, even if as many players as mario-kart plays it !

JPA2097
3rd February 2011, 11:53 AM
yes yes yes i hope it will arrive game of new wipeout for ONLY PS3. please not for the started ps4. ^^

JABBERJAW
3rd February 2011, 12:55 PM
I would like brs implemented a different way I think, maybe use the turn left and right airbrake to make the barrel roll happen, if you do this on a flat, you would lose energy, this way reverse braking solved. Also, If Barrel rolls are in the game, have them have significant speed like in pure. In hd they suck, and only look fast due to the crappy blurring effect. I am somewhat indifferent on Barrel rolls though, would remove them for classic gameplay.

Sideshifts NEED to be removed. These are what truly killed wipeout, taking all skill away of sliding around a turn, and timing it right, also making the game unbalanced, making the faster ships no faster than the slow ones, even though they turn worse. Sideshifts turned wipeout into a good fzero game.

Medusa
3rd February 2011, 02:21 PM
removing Barrel roll = big part of the wipers will not be interested IMO !
I understand that some don't like barrel rolls, but options to desactivate them ALREADY EXISTS in HD....When wipeout will becomes the easy game that everybody wants i'll quit that franchise for sure, even if as many players as mario-kart plays it !

I think all the barrel roll haters/wipeout purists would agree that if barrel rolls are taken out, the game speed must go up to Wip3out speeds. I don't know if you've ever played Wipeout 3 leungbok, but it is NOT an easy game by any means, and if they made a wipeout with Phantom speed ACTUALLY at Phantom speed aka Wip3out Phantom speed...after the initial shock of not being able to chain 4 barrel rolls together after a P-Mar jump, I'm sure everybody would get to like it at the least.
And, I'm sure if I who hates barrel rolls managed to buy three games knowing they had barrel rolls and multiple new systems just to play wipeout, people who love barrel rolls would manage to buy the same for a game without BRs. It's wipeout. Where else are you going to find a new wipeout?

Also, I don't think the BR Off option staying in, or seperate tables is even arguable...it's really nice to have it, but there will never be the same level of competition (number of people) for BR off records when there's a method in the same game to go faster easier.

Anyway, there's really no point in even discussing it anymore IMO. If/when another game comes it's up to whoever feels like what...and given the run of new games, from Pure to HD, there will be barrel rolls, there will be glitches, Phantom will be more like Rapier speed, there will be game modes that aren't wipeout at all...but it will look really pretty.

P.S. Plus 1 on the sideshifts, again not needed and very unclassic. Unclassy? ;)

P.P.S- "the easy game that everybody wants..." WHAT? It's never been easier to get perfect laps then in the last three games...how in god's name could they make Wipeout any easier? Other than PA of course. Nobody wants more of this easy stuff! :blarg

XpanDrome2097
3rd February 2011, 03:09 PM
I think all the barrel roll haters/wipeout purists would agree that if barrel rolls are taken out, the game speed must go up to Wip3out speeds. I don't know if you've ever played Wipeout 3 leungbok, but it is NOT an easy game by any means, and if they made a wipeout with Phantom speed ACTUALLY at Phantom speed aka Wip3out Phantom speed..

That's right.
@ leungbok: try to win a single race at phantom class in Wip3out with Icaras, and at the end let me know if this is simple ;)!

RJ O'Connell
3rd February 2011, 04:54 PM
Winning a race with Phantom/Icaras in Wipeout 3 is a massive accomplishment? LOL. Easy task compared to LS104 in the same game.

JABBERJAW
3rd February 2011, 05:31 PM
I think it is more of try and get a perfect race with Icarus on any track in wipeout 3, very difficult to say the least, and that is not even perfecting the line you want. Even with the other ships, it is difficult to get perfect races on any track.

leungbok
3rd February 2011, 08:15 PM
I think all the barrel roll haters/wipeout purists would agree that if barrel rolls are taken out, the game speed must go up to Wip3out speeds. I don't know if you've ever played Wipeout 3 leungbok
Wipeout was my first ps1 game several months after the releasing of the console in euro. Despite i didn't liked racers (i prefered fighters like toshinden) i loved wipeout and finished each game of the franchise at 100%, i even did some multiplayer split/screen races with my cousins and their father with 2 ps1, 2 tvs, 2 wip3outs and one link cable. That is my best game experience from all time.

Also, I don't think the BR Off option staying in, or seperate tables is even arguable...it's really nice to have it, but there will never be the same level of competition (number of people) for BR off records when there's a method in the same game to go faster easier.
So that's exactly what i thought, people don't wants only have fun with friends in the game playing the way they like, they also wants to compete for top spots. But if a feature makes it harder, it must be removed in the name of purism :rolleyes:
Phaeton_pl seems to be also a BR lover, but he proposed a no BR speedlap challenge and nobody answered. It was an easy way to prove superiority of their lines for the BR haters in that case. But i must admit that no WR could possibly be beaten like that. And so... :eek What's the problem ??? I really don't understand how hardcore fans like many zoners just don't want to play only because they don't like a feature (possible to desactivate). I remember Epsilon - a BR hater - creating the pressure league ! He only did one event, maybe having his ass kicked by many zoners without BRs killed his illusions. :mr-t
I could say something harsh like : "you want to race with the pros ? Race like the pros !", but i really understand that people could dislike BRs, i even find that logical for internal view players ! But in that case, it's your choice, you can't have everything, an immersive way to play wipeout and also your name on top of the boards (or just be competitive with fast BR-players). I'm sorry but i'm 100% convinced that it's an ego issue ! People don't want to choose no-BR races, because they don't want to be considered as "weak". The same way they want to play phantom (where the "big guys are" apparently :rolleyes: ) instead of slower classes.
Medusa, i was admirative of your achievement in doing the campaign without BRs, but i disagree with your post.
Just create no-BR phantom sr or tourny, i'll join and maybe Lunar also, assuming he don't plays HD because of BRs and maybe Phaeton (who beats zico without BRs :cold). Idea is to have fun no ?

P.P.S- "the easy game that everybody wants..." WHAT? It's never been easier to get perfect laps then in the last three games...how in god's name could they make Wipeout any easier? Other than PA of course. Nobody wants more of this easy stuff! :blarg

Wipeout HD is made for casual players (overpowered weapons...), i'm 100% sure of that, i don't like it but in understand why ! Nintendo Wii broke the selling records targeting casual gamers, it's sad, but Sony and SL don't have other choice than to try to attract those gamers.

@Xpandrome : I can't, i have not other skills than doing BRs to be fast. But who says that wip3out is easy ? Me ??? :eek

amplificated
3rd February 2011, 09:16 PM
I think BR's and sideshifts are in HD and the PSP games due to the way the handling was changed. The new handling model is much more direct and easy to deal with than the wip3out/ps1 games' handling model, so SL were able to attract a more casual audience, but the BR's and sideshifting was there for the people who wanted to get really into the game to find and give the games something extra to work into.

Essentially, SL chose a fundamentally new system, and personally I think they did the right thing. I think BR's and sideshifts add a really great dimension to the game on top of a straight (AG) racing simulator, though I can imagine that the old games' purists appreciate the old handling model and its subtleties that are dead in the new games. The new things are there to make up the difficulty of the old handling model, and I'm not sure which would have the higher skill ceiling as I never got into the old games.

However, I just don't think it's possible to have the two handling models in the same game; even no BR races are nothing like the old wipeouts. My guess is that they were added as a stop-gap for the people who weren't used to the BR's until they could learn them. Ultimately though, I think there's more on offer with the HD handling model. It's definitely a case of having to fundamentally relearn WipEout for the old fans, and while that sucks, as I already mentioned - I think it's for the best in the long run. Just my personal opinion.

I'm with Leungbok though on the weapons as well - they are ridiculous; I almost rq every online game in HD within minutes :(

Temet
3rd February 2011, 10:08 PM
The BRs are adapted to the recent Wipeout games, espescially on Pulse and HD because of the handling! (and Pure because it's slow)
XL/2097 is so much faster that a Boost+BR would be nearly impossible (except for some few MadJabSayyeah likes :g ).
HD is slow, airbrakes don't brake... so yeah, BR are almost needed not to make this game terribly boring.

I remember several spots in 2097 where I was "OMG OMG OMG, I will never get through these turns with this speed!" (just try to get the chicane at the beginning of Sagarmatha when used a boost at the beginning of the straight line...).

When I said I'd prefer a no BR game in the future, it's because I'd like to have the same feeling of "Toooo fast, I'll never make it!!!!".

This is just my opinion, please don't hate me for this :g , I promise I don't hate BR-lovers!

MrSmadSmartAlex
3rd February 2011, 11:21 PM
BRs are great in Pure, Pulse, and HD (and do require a lot of skill; they're not something "casual" players can master), but I wouldn't mind seeing a new game without them if it had something to make up for them being gone, whether it's faster speed and less "boring" handling, something new to increase speed/give a speed boost, or whatever. As long as it's not hyperthrust :bomb. :D

Medusa
4th February 2011, 01:22 AM
@Leungbok: I'm glad to hear you loved all the first three wipEouts! "That is my best game experience from all time." Yeah, same here.
And just to clarify, I don't dislike people because they like BRs either! Also, I have to agree/say that the last three games, when played without BRs, are deadly boring. I guess that was the point of my above post: you can't have two games in one. You either have the same type of game as the last three, with BRs and slower speeds and mag-locks on straight flattish sections, OR you have same type of game as the first three, with insanely fast speeds, floaty handling, and "real" airbrakes. HD is loads better than Pulse/Pure to play without BRs, but still boring/slow feeling.

I'd join a speedlap challenge or tourney or whatever, but I don't have the time to run or organize something like this. That was my intention before HD came out (to have a no BR league going). I didn't get a PS3 for ages, and now that I've got one my life is very busy. I need a lot of practice to even play decently, and I don't have the time really.
"I remember Epsilon - a BR hater - creating the pressure league ! He only did one event, maybe having his ass kicked by many zoners without BRs killed his illusions. " Is this Pressure league thing still going?
I disagree with you about this being an ego issue (at least, it's not with me). For me, this is about getting a feeling out of a game. If this was all about my ego, I would have switched to external view years back when I realized it is harder to play internal view (this does not only apply to BR games, it is harder to see how close you are to the edge of the track and your ship's orientation no matter what game you're in). After doing that, I would have realized what I and hopefully everybody else does by now: BRs, except for the ones in very difficult places, do not change how good you are as a video game player. Every person knows how skilled they are. Your reflexes don't change no matter if you have barrel rolls on or not. Practice will help you learn the lines, but that's it. If I go up against a pilot who I know is better than me, I know I won't win because I go and turn BRs off! I know I'm slow, miss speed pads, hit walls, and so on. I like to have fun and I do have fun playing HD, but I like the feeling of the old games better.

I don't even like talking about BRs/nonBRs anymore. People get all touchy about it, then it turns into a pissing contest eventually...really, some of us prefer a certain type of game and some of us don't. There is no right or wrong opinion, so...sigh. Let's be friends. BRs or not. :)

RJ O'Connell
4th February 2011, 04:36 AM
It's hilarious how dumbed down we think Wipeout's become since 2001 and yet it's still more "complex" of a racing game than at least 50% of the other racing games out there.

weapons
It's a combat racing game...lol. I've said before, being able to switch certain weapons on/off would be just awesome for online play if they're that much of a problem for some players.

Temet
4th February 2011, 07:06 AM
Eh eh, when Kaori came at home first time, I showed him 2097 on emulator, saying it was really more beautiful.
I hadn't played since a long time and I have been very surprised when I hit a line of mines and lost very few speed (but yeah, shield didn't like it).
In HD, you hit a line of mines, you're stopped, it takes ages to start again... and often you can't catch back the leaders.

leungbok
4th February 2011, 08:55 AM
Game system and handling was perfect for the first wipeouts ! I always expect that the new game of a licence will be better than the older one ! Usually i sell the old game when the new one is released. I did that also with wipeout :redface: but since, i bought again all the serie ;)
I'm really not a fan of retro-gaming, i hate that when the old fashioned (and limited gameplay IMO) Street Fighter have so much success when squaresoft's tobal2 was the last episode of the serie :bomb

Medusa, it's always an ego matter at different levels. All depend how people manage to show or hide their ego. Some overreacts when they do a good achievement, other are real morrons quitting when they lose, searching excuses etc. and others can have big respect and no jealousy for people they knows being more skilled than them but don't wants to be that much ridiculous if they plays with those players = ego.

Off course RJ, wipeout always was a combat game but HD is just ridiculous regarding weapon's power (true Temet ;)).
:lol I totally agree Smad. F***k hyperthrust lol

About speed/BRs and turbos power in the last 3 games :
speed : pulse>HD>pure
BR's power : pulse>pure>HD
turbo's power : HD>pulse>pure
No scientific measures, only feeling :beer

XpanDrome2097
4th February 2011, 11:57 AM
@Xpandrome : I can't, i have not other skills than doing BRs to be fast. But who says that wip3out is easy ? Me ??? :eek

No, in fact your previous post was not totally understanded by myself, sorry :).
But I miss the purest WipEout physics adopted into 2097 and 3 (and SE version): characteristics as speed and driving makes the real difference in corners, not a barrel rolls or a sideshift.
I like a lot Pure/Pulse/HD but, honestly, sometimes they can't feel as a classic WipEout game, especially due to the physics: in Pure, the ships slows down around the corners and for this one of my favourite ships in Pure is Triakis (others are Goteki45 and AG Systems), because its "bug" can make it feel more as a classic WO handling system.
In Pulse sometimes I've got the impression to play an anti-gravitational Need for Speed, instead than an anti-gravitational WipEout: this happens when I use sideshifts around the corners, this reminds me F-Zero, but is only a personal opinion :D.

Sideshifts NEED to be removed. These are what truly killed wipeout, taking all skill away of sliding around a turn, and timing it right, also making the game unbalanced, making the faster ships no faster than the slow ones, even though they turn worse. Sideshifts turned wipeout into a good fzero game.

In fact, the airbrake system in the last 3 games feels less efficient than the previous 3 games (from the first to 3), because now the sideshift is more important than the airbrakes: every time that I play one of the first games and after Pure or Pulse, in these lasts when I use the airbrakes I hit the wall in the corners...mmh, airbrakes in Pure/Pulse for me feels only as a mode to hit the wall as fast is possible :g!
In Pulse I use only Goteki45, EG-X (where handling is 7/10) and all 6/10 ships (and sometimes AG-Systems, but only for fanaticism) because their handling are the only types that permits a useful use of airbrakes by myself.
But all this post don't means that I don't like the lasts WipEout games, but only that I like all of them with all their differences...but my mind belongs to 2097/XL and 3 (especially SE version), sorry :)!

Medusa
4th February 2011, 03:15 PM
Medusa, it's always an ego matter at different levels.
No, it's not. I can't figure out why this is so hard to understand! Look at the rankings tables here from all the games. Generally all the zoners are in a certain order no matter which game it is! Barrel rolls do not change how a person is ranked from game to game. Wanting to play a game without barrel rolls is a matter of preference, period. Anybody who thinks they'll be faster or get ranked higher (if that's all they care about they need help), dream on. It does not happen that way.

... and others can have big respect and no jealousy for people they knows being more skilled than them
The first part of this sentence, yes, that would be me.

but don't wants to be that much ridiculous if they plays with those players = ego.
Sure, nobody likes to lose. What really upsets me is that you, who is one of the major tutors and discoverers in the last few wipeouts, keep linking the dislike of barrel rolls to the dislike of losing/deflating of ego. That is not true. But, who am I to say what actually goes on in my own brain. :rolleyes:

Two junkies sit a room, arguing over what is better, needles or stamps for their favourite drug. One doesn't like the hassle of needles, the other does. Needle-lover thinks stamp-lover is just too proud to take the punctures in his skin. Stamp-lover just wants a clean method.
Meanwhile, the rest of the world would like the two junkies to go to rehab.

Sorry for somewhat derailing the thread. I just can't sit here and let it be said that I hate barrel rolls because I can't keep up with the big guys and don't like losing by big margins. (If I wasn't supposed to take that personally, sorry, but I did.)

I want the old style of game to come back, because it is my preferred method for administering WipEout, okay? Screw egos and rankings and all that BS. I'm talking about gameplay. I hope that's clear after this post, since I'm done trying to explain.

leungbok
4th February 2011, 04:17 PM
Sure, nobody likes to lose. What really upsets me is that you, who is one of the major tutors and discoverers in the last few wipeouts, keep linking the dislike of barrel rolls to the dislike of losing/deflating of ego
Lol, i never said that everyone disliking BR, dislikes it because of their ego !
I talk about constant whinning about BR or something else !
Your last post and the try to have the last word, proves that you also have ego, lol. That's not a desease or an absolute bad thing, you know ? ;)
Someone without ego doesn't exist, it's in deep human nature !
As i said all depends how you deal with it, some people i know out of video game field, have a uber ego, are masters on their works/hobbies and are the nicest people i know.
I perfectly understand people liking old wipeouts gameplay and wanting to recover those feelings. However, that i don't understand (if people don't have ego :lol) is : why do they don't play wipeout HD online with BR/off ? Okay, i know, the handling is not great in that game without BRs ! ;) So, when i talk of a new game with option to desactivate BRs and separate rankings, BR haters don't seems to be satisfied at all. Like if they also wanted to be as fast as the BRs allows to BR freaks ! :eek :eek :eek If i understand well they can't have fun with friends online in crazy races with or without weapons if they can't also compete with the BR/on rooms ?
And i talk about a faster wipeout game with a feeling close than 2097 or wip3out (my old wipeout favorite except hyperthrust :lol), but allowing BRs for those who wants it.
Ok, i'll do half of the way, and i can admit the comeback of hyperthrust (:brickwall :D) to make no-BR pilots competitives ! :P
And with reflexion, it can be fun an option BR or hyperthrust (or preferably something else, lol)

JABBERJAW
4th February 2011, 06:53 PM
The old feeling goes way beyond the barrel roll issue. Pitch control has been dumbed down beyond neccessary, and the sliding around corners is gone, nothing like older versions. They are completely different games. I like the br vs hyperthrust idea though if brs must be in the game, since hyperthrust takes away energy as well.

amplificated
4th February 2011, 08:26 PM
pitch is so important to get advanced barrel rolls though; it has its place most definitely.

Connavar
4th February 2011, 09:56 PM
Apparently what we saw was just HD running on the PSP2, with the exact same
visuals as the PS3 (same shaders at least) except from the lower resolution,
but still an incredible resolution!! 960x540 on a small screen will definitely look
as good as HD 1080p on a HDTV when playing.

JABBERJAW
4th February 2011, 11:34 PM
I agree, I bet it will look better. I just hope they take this game, even if it is a port, and make it different. adjusted physics, faster ships actually being faster if you can pilot them, maybe a little slidier physics, faster speeds on the brs like pure if they are to remain, AND

classic mode: faster ships, no barrel rolls, no sideshifts. Oh, definitely more slippery making the faster ships neccessary. yes the pitch wouldn't be the same, but it would be pretty good like that

pitch control. I do understand it is important, but the bottoming out is vital to stop from happening in the old games, not the new ones, nor does it slow you down anywhere near as much. Part of this is the ship coming higher off the ground in the older games when you pitch back on the flats, which is non-existent in the new games (which is what I loved about wipeout in the first place

MrSmadSmartAlex
4th February 2011, 11:47 PM
I much prefer the ships being balanced to having one ship being The Best. It'd be boring to always race in a room full of the same ship. I like people choosing a ship to suit their racing style without auto-losing. But some of the heavier ships do have a disadvantage, I agree; because thrust is so important in the new games (the stupid overpowered weapons slow you down for 20 minutes loss :D), they have a hard time keeping up when they get hit, and don't have much (if any) of an advantage when they don't get hit to make up for this. I'd say that the answer is to make the weapons less powerful in terms of speed loss, rather than unbalancing the ships (which makes all but one of the ships pretty much useless).

kanar
5th February 2011, 06:54 AM
Just wanted to say I can't wait for it. Would have def. prefered a new ps3 title, but that's ok; a new -uber powerful- psp + a wipeout game (it really doesn't matter to me if it's a simple HD port or more than that, it WILL be more than that, as I'm sure Sony has no intention to ruin the AAA history of this franchise). Jeez december is so far from us, I remember this Southpark episode where Cartman is waiting for the the wii release in front of the store lol. Same here. GEEEEEEK!!!!! yeah, I know. Just hope I'll have the money for that...

Medusa
5th February 2011, 02:08 PM
LOL kanar I think almost everybody here is a big wipEout nErd! Wait, who said that? 8)
Maybe we could buy crates of NGPs and the new game through the zone and get a discount...bribe a store owner to give it out early...hmm...

Temet
5th February 2011, 02:59 PM
There is a short article on Wipeout NGP on a french website : http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2011/00048657-wipeout-ngp-en-aura-sous-le-capot.htm

They are talking about "development", not "adaptation" ... let's wait and see!

Mad-Ice
5th February 2011, 08:38 PM
I found something similair:

http://www.playstationfuture.com/2011/01/27/cold-storage-back-for-psp2ngp-wipeout-soundtrack/

leungbok
5th February 2011, 09:02 PM
There is a short article on Wipeout NGP on a french website : http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2011/00048657-wipeout-ngp-en-aura-sous-le-capot.htm

They are talking about "development", not "adaptation" ... let's wait and see!

Damn !! port or new game, all is so exciting :hyper
Kanar, let's freeze ourselves on some snow area until december, lol.

JABBERJAW
5th February 2011, 09:30 PM
"I much prefer the ships being balanced to having one ship being The Best"

fastest does not mean the best. The old games you couldn't just hop into the game and run a perfect lap after lap with qirex, it was way harder to stay off the walls than a ag systems, or an auricom. In Xl if you could pilot qirex perfectly, it was faster than ag systems, that is how it should be. Ag systems was a much easier ship to take turns, AND stay off a wall that actually slowed you down. There were no sideshifts allowing you to stay on a perfect line the entire time. Even the "harder" ships in hd are pretty easy to use, and stay on your line. However they are not as easy as say feisar, which has TIME TRIAL! records faster than icarus on some tracks. Why would you choose a much harder ship to control, if the other ship is faster, AND easier to use.

The game cannot really be balanced in either situation, if you want it to be balanced in tt and single race.

Darkdrium777
5th February 2011, 10:06 PM
http://www.playstationfuture.com/2011/01/27/cold-storage-back-for-psp2ngp-wipeout-soundtrack/
Most likely it’s just a port of HD Fury.

Maybe maximum of 4 ‘new’ upgraded tracks from PSP games plus Van-Uber and Tigron ships.

Color me impressed if it’s anything beyond that.Indeed.
I'm hoping Tigron returns but I'm not holding my breath. Beyond that I expect nothing new at all for this version of the game. If it's different in the slightest from HD Fury on PS3 (Even a menu layout change) I'll be surprised.

IMHO the original picture of the mystery track lifted from the video by JJAP, doesn't look like the picture of Anulpha posted by supersocks.Satisfied (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNeQbVF0F2A#t=4m21s), then?

leungbok
6th February 2011, 07:58 AM
It seems that wipeout ngp can be played with motion sensors in that vid !

amplificated
6th February 2011, 09:12 AM
I noticed that as well, and it makes sense since I've heard the NGP has the same motion capabilities as the sixaxis controller using the gyroscope.

stin
6th February 2011, 09:16 AM
Looks awesome but I wonder, how much will it costs?:|

I`m probably ignore that one for a time being until the prices goes down a bit.

stevie:frown:

Chill
6th February 2011, 12:19 PM
I'll get one for you if Wipeout comes out on it stevie... consider it payback.

stin
6th February 2011, 03:58 PM
lol!, actually l was referring to NRP console!, but thank you for the offer but no thanks;)

stevie:)

SaturnReturn
6th February 2011, 04:11 PM
I think they should get Tim Wright and Unctuous to collaborate on the soundtrack.:D

amplificated
6th February 2011, 04:29 PM
I guess I'm about to find out, but do people that don't like cold storage get banned and have their comments removed - or am I the only one who doesn't like that stuff at all? >_>

Chill
6th February 2011, 05:46 PM
that's what I meant stin!! but whatever you say buddy... ;)

Mad-Ice
6th February 2011, 06:24 PM
Indeed.
I'm hoping Tigron returns but I'm not holding my breath. Beyond that I expect nothing new at all for this version of the game. If it's different in the slightest from HD Fury on PS3 (Even a menu layout change) I'll be surprised.

Satisfied (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNeQbVF0F2A#t=4m21s), then?

I get what you are saying.

Sony wants to try and get every PS3 game onto the NGP. So Wipeout will be their flagship once again. But a very cheap one I think. Wipeout HD/FURY will be a straight port onto the NGP.

It will be very unlikely that they are in the process of a total new Wipeout, because if that is the cause we will get two new Wipeouts in one time; Wipeout HD/FURY on NGP and the new Wipeout on PS3 and NGP. Otherwise it wouldn't make sence.

So, I think we will only get HD/FURY on the new NGP. It will be fun anyway and a lot easier to organise a convention.

But my question is would PURE and PULSE run with a better framerate on the NGP and will ad-hoc and infrastructure suffer less lag?

Greetz Mad-Ice

MrSmadSmartAlex
6th February 2011, 06:42 PM
They'll probably leave the processor limit on for those games. They could have allowed them to run at 333mhz on the PSP at any time, but chose not, to for whatever reason (maybe to annoy people:lol).
Dunno about infrastructure though. At 333mhz or higher, you'd get less framedrops, but the same lag for other players' ships. I think that that's to do with the server the PSN uses and/or the netcode for the game, as well as peoples' internet connections.

Darkdrium777
6th February 2011, 06:57 PM
But my question is would PURE and PULSE run with a better framerate on the NGP?If you look at PS1 emulation on PSP/PS3 and PS2 emulation on PS3, probably not.

will ad-hoc and infrastructure suffer less lag?Probably not.

IndoorSnowStorm
6th February 2011, 07:38 PM
The only WipEouts I've ever played were Pulse and HD/Fury, so I've never experienced earlier physics or no barrel rolls. My request list for possible changes to NGP WipEout HD or any new WipEout would be:

1. A bit faster speed, like Pulse
2. HD Skin Editor
3. That Customizable Sign idea is pretty neat
4. Last but not least, all energy trails all the same color.

The 4th may seem totally stupid to a lot of people, but it kind of bugged me to see different colored trails. I know they were used in HD to distinguish between HD and Fury ships, but it would be more visually appealing IMO to have them all the same color.

A bit repetitive, but that's all I want in NGP WipEout.

icarasDragon
7th February 2011, 01:18 AM
Actually I remember somewhere someone posting about being able to do full colour RGB Thruster Trail customization, that'd be fun :P

Darkdrium777
7th February 2011, 04:11 AM
Sony staff demoed a handful of upcoming first-party NGP titles, including Uncharted, Little Deviants and WipEout. The source said the latter was "the WipEout HD PS3 engine running on PS3 with no changes to the art platform. That means full resolution, full 60 frames per second. It looks exactly the same as it does on PS3 – all the shader effects are in there".
Source (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-04-new-ngp-details-emerge-at-private-event)

Very impressive for a handheld platform. However, exactly what I expected.
Will they bother to change something to validate this next quote?

However, Sony is also insisting that it "does not want exactly the same game" on NGP and PS3 – there "has to be a reason for the NGP title". "They want at least some kind of interactivity between the two versions with NGP-only extras," the source added. Time will tell.

Temet
7th February 2011, 07:03 AM
:frown:

JABBERJAW
7th February 2011, 05:36 PM
"will ad-hoc and infrastructure suffer less lag?"

Man, I think it will be better than going online, just like adhoc on psp I would think, making the game far better.

IndoorSnowStorm
8th February 2011, 10:06 PM
Actually I remember somewhere someone posting about being able to do full colour RGB Thruster Trail customization, that'd be fun :P
If that happened, I could die happy. :g

Sony staff demoed a handful of upcoming first-party NGP titles, including Uncharted, Little Deviants and WipEout. The source said the latter was "the WipEout HD PS3 engine running on PS3 with no changes to the art platform. That means full resolution, full 60 frames per second. It looks exactly the same as it does on PS3 – all the shader effects are in there".
Seeing WipEout HD on the NGP exactly the same graphics-wise would be totally awesome.

Temet
9th February 2011, 07:30 AM
Seeing WipEout HD on the NGP exactly the same graphics-wise would be totally awesome.

Seriously???
You want to run on the same 12 tracks forever?
Sebenco Climb exists for 6 years and it's not enough? Don't get my wrong, I love Sebenco (and a lot more beautiful on Pure BTW) but I REALLY cannot understand people saying it would be cool to play HD on portable!

Guys, playing the tracks from Pure and Pulse on PS3 may be cool... but it really sucks that we can play ONLY tracks from Pure and Pulse, and ONLY SOME of them.

I don't want to play the same tracks forever. Which racing game today can only propose around 10 tracks?

Medusa
9th February 2011, 01:21 PM
LOL no kidding, Temet...how many times in a row can they recycle tracks? Pure and Pulse whittled down to HD...oh goody, we have a new wipEout! Then, HD turned into NGP...oh goody we have a new wipEout! Handheld to TV to handheld...but the same tracks? :blarg I won't be buying a new handheld if it's the same tracks, that's for sure.

leungbok
9th February 2011, 01:57 PM
Same tracks, yes and it's a pity ! But with a different gameplay and feeling due to the small screen and different controler, and also new gamers involved in wipeout ! :)

Chill
9th February 2011, 07:19 PM
I'm with you guys! (Sorry Leungbok) if we wanted the new small screen with the smaller controller, we'd just whip out wipeout pure and/or pulse on our psp...

JABBERJAW
10th February 2011, 12:35 PM
IF that is all we can get, I will take it, but we want some new challenging tracks, not just 4 remade from pure/pulse. I would be happy with the classic tracks remade, like gare deuropa, but still want some REAL new tracks

leungbok
10th February 2011, 02:38 PM
Even the 4 puretastic playables in all modes would be a great addition, especially when the tracks already exists in the game ! :)

IndoorSnowStorm
11th February 2011, 03:37 AM
Seriously???
You want to run on the same 12 tracks forever?
Sebenco Climb exists for 6 years and it's not enough? Don't get my wrong, I love Sebenco (and a lot more beautiful on Pure BTW) but I REALLY cannot understand people saying it would be cool to play HD on portable!
I didn't mean to start an argument! I've only had HD for 1 year, and I've never played any WipEout besides HD and Pulse. So those Pure tracks are relatively new to me.

To clarify my point, I meant full HD graphics for a WipEout game on NGP. Now, Temet and others, I understand your side of it, and I can see that it would be quite boring to play the same tracks over and over again. I would love a brand new WipEout as much as the next guy, but if a port is all we can get for now, I'll take it.

Temet
11th February 2011, 10:38 AM
Taking into account your background, I can understand your point of view.
But I can't share it :g

IndoorSnowStorm
12th February 2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks for understanding. :g

Now I had a totally cool idea for a new WipEout, but I forgot it. I'm frustrated because it was totally awesome. Oh well, I'll post it here soon if I remember it. :beer

IndoorSnowStorm
14th February 2011, 02:18 AM
Now I remember! If the game was just a port, we should be able to play online with the PS3 HD Players with our NGP Version.

yawnstretch
13th July 2011, 08:38 PM
http://stuffmideast.com/2011/07/10/115784/wipeout-launches-on-android/?

Wanted to post this a couple of days ago but the forum was down.

Anyway, not sure how accurate it is but interesting...

feisar rocket
14th July 2011, 02:58 AM
I want a few Pure/ Pulse tracks in; ability to use DLC for pure and pulse too (copy data and have tracks and ships from pure's and pulse's DLC) ! Have about 38 tracks with 8 being the best pure and pulse (4/4) tracks, 18 new tracks, 8 classics and pure's zone tracks.

DLC should be the old games with the same old graphics (Fusion and older). I'd like all of that.

Sausehuhn
14th July 2011, 06:37 AM
Looks more like they’re re-releasing WO1 for PS1. Just like they did with the PlayStation Store. Actually it even says so in the article. So: No new game, and probably not even a remake but only the PS1-code. And the screenshot is from Speed Forge 3D (http://www.speedforge.ratsquare.pl/index.html).

Rotational_aspect
14th July 2011, 09:05 AM
I dont know if the Android PS1 emulator has been worked on some, but back when I had an HTC pda (this is like, 4-5 years ago) I was playing PS1 titles on a Windows Mobile platform at full speed / with sound. Progress eh?

It makes me sick how old stuff is still peddled as new- I thought Nintendo were bad!

leungbok
14th July 2011, 06:38 PM
I heard that it's an exclusive game for sony's x-peria play phone (phone with kinda psp go controller). Don't know if it's compatible with other smartphones

pask765
28th August 2011, 05:47 PM
The new wipeout game is called Wipeout 2048. I am not too sure of all the details but according to the E3 trailers there are several new tracks in the game including Empire Climb, Queen's Mall, Unity Square and Sol

Medusa
28th August 2011, 06:52 PM
There's an entire section on the forum for it, too. ;)