PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Mode Without Barrel Rolls

Medusa
8th January 2011, 06:48 PM
Anybody who was around here for awhile, may remember how much I hate barrel rolls. ;) It was always my intention, once I finally got HD, to see how far I could go in Campaign Mode without using barrel rolls. Because I had a point to prove, dangitall!!!
Anyways, I did just that for the last while. I thought I'd have to abandon the Elite setting right away...but actually, I just completed the entire campaign mode, all on Elite settings, without using a single barrel roll in the process. :D
This involved aborting a race each time an accidental BR occurred (or tournament, even if it was the very last tourney and it was race 7 and I was guaranteed my final gold :bomb ). Unfortunately, my grand dream of having 0 attempted barrel rolls in my stats didn't happen because of these accidental ones. It ended up being 11 attempted, 5 successful. Grrr.
Anyway, the point is, although quite challenging at times (Chenghou Phantom), it is fairly easy to get Elite Campaign Legend without using a barrel roll. So there.

SaturnReturn
8th January 2011, 07:03 PM
Show off! :P

Nah, congrats. A lot of people struggle with elite campaign so without barrel rolls it's all the more impressive. To be honest, I'm not sure if I could pull it off with out them as it seems the only way to fight back against annoying Elite AI weapon usage. Did you do it with weapons turned on or off?

yeldar2097
8th January 2011, 07:26 PM
They're always on in Campaign races ;)

Nice work Medusa :+

SaturnReturn
8th January 2011, 07:27 PM
Ah OK. It's been so long I've almost completely forgotten campaign mode.:dizzy

Medusa
8th January 2011, 07:30 PM
LOL of course with weapons on!!!! All settings were normal. The thing is, I believe the AI adjust its speed to whatever you are doing. I think I remember reading that it goes 15% faster than you...basically, I just had to concentrate on using the proper race lines. The only time I had to even hotlap (use turbo at the start of one speedlap and another in the lap) was on Vineta K forward if I remember right. Also I should mention I used Piranha almost exclusively, to have a top speed ship was critical.
The AI was actually not too competitve at all until Phantom speed. If I got a Perfect Lap or two (or more LOL), and made sure to use pickups appropriately, the AI vanished at lower speeds.
I was extraordinarily surprised how easy this was, actually. It just goes to show that new players can concentrate on just racing lines at first, and still do alright.

Also, just wanted to add, to show this really was not that hard, that game time was 6:37:06. And the best part was that the AI didn't eliminate me once.

Frailavi
8th January 2011, 07:42 PM
Now do it without airbrakes.

yeldar2097
8th January 2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah the AI are hilarious. I like the rubber-banding. Even on Elite, you can wait for up to 20 seconds at the start/finish line before 'starting' and still beat them. Silly bots :P

MegaGeeza22
8th January 2011, 11:40 PM
What!!! Im not jealous... honest. im still trying to do the elite campaign with BRs, i only need this trophy and zone zeus for the plat.. but i think i will carry on using BRs lol.
Well done!

leungbok
9th January 2011, 12:42 AM
Lol. nice achievement Medusa ! Especially as AI DO BRs ! :p

Jav
9th January 2011, 02:18 AM
That's a good one Leung :lol

Connavar
9th January 2011, 07:43 AM
Now try with Motion controls only.

leungbok
9th January 2011, 08:53 AM
@jav, They do !! really ! I never film my races against AI but i'll try one day, because i even saw an AI ship doing a quite advanced BR ! :eek I suppose they adjust their behavior on the human player's. :p

Connavar
9th January 2011, 10:32 AM
If they adjust their behavior, then no wonder they do BR against you,
LeungBRok :D

stinkleroy
9th January 2011, 12:01 PM
Lol, the AI DO do BR's, I've seen it.

Congrats Medusa, that's some achievement ;) I make no bones about my dislike for BR's, I think I got about halfway through the campaign and had to switch from d-pad to analog because I just could'nt execute them at all....stupid stick is the bane of my existence, so many thumb slips...so many lost races ;)

Well done!

Medusa
9th January 2011, 01:32 PM
"Now do it with motion controls only." LOL! No I don't think I have that much time...and I'm sure zero3growlithe has done that one...
stinkleroy I had the opposite problem, I've tried switching to the analog stick but I can't do the BRs consistently. The dpad has gotten quite stiff over just a few months, but still it's easier for me to BR with it. And, welcome to the barrel roll hate club...I'm sure we've never met, or I'd remember it! :)

Jav
9th January 2011, 01:34 PM
Does that mean you're going to turn BRs off for our game in the world cup? Oh noes :lol

Medusa
9th January 2011, 01:38 PM
LOL Jav, you better believe I"m considering it! I've seen your scary times, and I'm willing to take the scheming route and turn them off haha :) We'll see eh?
Regardless, I'd still have to manage perfect laps and hit every speed pad. :D

haiku
9th January 2011, 07:34 PM
Now that is some dedication to a hatred of BRs.

phaeton_pl
9th January 2011, 09:50 PM
Firstly, congrats Medusa! I'm sure it wasn't easy :+

Well, I can't call myself a "BR-hater" but i also like "non-BR" racing. Beating Zico without BR's was great fun and also a good lesson of lines and sideshifts.

I posted an idea in Speed Lap Challenge thread long time ago but there was no interest in non-BR challenge. Maybe we should give a shot with some "non BR Time Trial weekly challenge" or something? It could be good fun :D

Jav
9th January 2011, 10:35 PM
LOL Jav, you better believe I"m considering it! I've seen your scary times, and I'm willing to take the scheming route and turn them off haha :) We'll see eh?
Regardless, I'd still have to manage perfect laps and hit every speed pad. :D

Lol that is no problem, I was just kidding. You can choose whatever you like :hyper As can I...

Aeroracer
10th January 2011, 02:37 PM
well done medusa..very chellenging especialy resisting all those super turbo br jumps.

knowing you cannot br makes have to rely on nice tight lines around the track :)

Temet
10th January 2011, 08:40 PM
Congrats Medusa!
I always thought that BR could have been different. For example, only the reactors have to make 1 turn on themselves (let's say to activate a special pump that injects more fuel in the engine, providing the landing boost). This way, the internal view wouldn't have been screwed... and this could have lead to cool lights effects too.

zero3growlithe
2nd April 2011, 09:24 PM
"Now do it with motion controls only." LOL! No I don't think I have that much time...and I'm sure zero3growlithe has done that one...
I did, long time ago;)

JFthebestJan
11th May 2011, 03:13 PM
well, i was bored (PSN down) the other day, so i decided to challenge myself.
get all 3 possible gold trophies of wipEout hd b4 unlocking any other trophy (that means no BR)
i made a new offline only account to achieve it

Colonel
11th May 2011, 06:54 PM
Bloody hell Jan, that's well impressive, Beat Zico and Arcade Perfect without BRs!

Kind of makes me sick, I'm still about half a second off Zico with 3 BRs :frown:

JFthebestJan
11th May 2011, 07:26 PM
arcade perfect wasn't really a challenge.
just 2 difficulties: moa fwd (9laps) + chengou fwd (21laps)
i did an accidental BR attempt on the big drop, i immediately restart to avoid a successful BR :)

Medusa
14th May 2011, 03:07 PM
Oh my, now THAT is impressive!!! Good job Jan, I salute you! :rock

zero3growlithe
14th May 2011, 08:13 PM
Arcade Perfect without BR is not as hard as Zico... that's really impressive :rock:cowboy
EDIT: that was wrong: not so hard to achieve