PDA

View Full Version : Remote Control Wipeout

float
22nd December 2010, 09:34 PM
I have just ordered a Parrot AR drone (http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/uk/) from HMV and was thinking this is the closest to an Anti-Grav ship I've ever seen. I've tried searching the forums for a thread to someone building a wipeout craft with current technology, to no avail. So if there is can someone direct me to it, and if not, using the parrot AR as a base and its spares which are readily avaliable, does any one think its possible to make a remote control wipeout ship?

mdhay
22nd December 2010, 10:11 PM
It'd be possible, yeah.

float
22nd December 2010, 10:21 PM
Is anyone interested in making it come to fruition?

metronum
23rd December 2010, 09:37 AM
For start let me tell you that I worked 5 years in Parrot (2002 to 2007) and I was kinda close to the CEO (we started 27, when I left we were 300) and he always wanted to made toys. At that time he made us buy remote control cars and mount cameras on it to make some test. By that time I was just a graphic designer but I was fascinated.
Now years later they come up with that flying thing. Yeah well I aint convinced that anything using wind can defy gravity, it is just repelling a huge amount of air to maintain an altitude. That is not wipeout, is it?

Then if you look to someone trying to build a craft I am the one, but so far using magnetism the result are poor. I will make a report on that following thread soon:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7846

Also dude if you need anything for your Drone, let me know I am still wired with Parrot, I might get stuff for free or out of stock elsewhere. just let me know don't hesitate!

Xpand
23rd December 2010, 11:16 AM
I don't know... Here in Portugal we have things similar to those at 20 euros (+- 20 dollars) each. They're helis with an infrared sensor. I don't think that's something you'd relate immediately to wipeout....

The only way I see wipeout come true is if they find anti-mater and then create anti-gravity. Since mater itself creates gravity, why wouldn't the oposite be possible?

float
23rd December 2010, 09:39 PM
Thankyou Metronum and Xpand for your input. I fully appreciate what you are saying and will sit tight as anti grav technology is still to come.. hopefully. What I am planning is a wipeout ship to be based on a parrot frame originally then develop further, so If anyone could supply me with any blue prints or as I've seen on google images a paper construct of some of the crafts on wipeout HD it would be fully appreciated to push this project forward. I am hoping this idea isnt sacrilege to the many followers of wipeout. As a keen radio control modeller I am adept in balsa and polycarbonate creation. And who nows, where did this future sport start? a dream? an idea? and many believers?

Xpand
23rd December 2010, 10:42 PM
You can try something like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhgtMFX3ATo

You just have to find a way to feed air into the moving fan and create a system that maintains the same flight height, or you can just use the remote control, although it's harder to control the ship's movements and height.

I advice you try something like the Feisar or Icaras frame first because they seem to be the most doable, aerodynamically.

Also it would be nice to add an airfoil to the ship's "wings" since that would help the hovering when the ship's moving at acertain speed.
If you do things right I guess it could have a lot of fans!
I myself am finding a way to make a lifting machine that uses ionized air. It's called Ionocraft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionocraft). I can only do what others have done before: a triangle that floats incontrolably.
I guess I have to find a way to stabilize that. Probably by making it spin...

Well, I wish you the best of luck on your project!

Oh and a Merry Christmas! :D

Levi
14th February 2011, 04:38 AM
Hi, i just joined the site and the second forum post i read is this one, to quote Morphius from the matrix, "the universe it seems, is not without a sense of irony"
i am in the test stage of a project to do just what you were asking about, producing a game where the craft float above the track surface and ar steered by the person playing, i have completed the first test and that was successful enough to warrant designing and having a prototype chasis manufactured, that is on the process of being done as i type this, this is a serious attempt at bringing the game i love with a passion to the real world, so i promise you its not a hoax, i will keep you updated as each test is completes, after i have the next test complete i may be calling on those with the skill to design to start working on some ship and track designs, but at the moment i want to get these tests out of the way, no point in wasting peoples time.