PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite book, writer/author or poet

Flint Fandango
16th December 2010, 12:44 PM
As the title suggests, this is about your favorite authors/writers, poets and books:

One of my favorite writers is William S. Burroughs.
He achieved worldwide attention with his book "Naked Lunch". One reason for this, is the idiosyncratic "cut-up"-method, which has applied to many of his works. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut-up_technique

Poetically impressed me - in addition to the european Expressionists - Robert Pinksy, which held the title of the former poet laureate of the United States.
I´ve read several books he wrote, and were always impressed by his skills, and the beauty in his poems! Also T.S. Eliot´s "The wastelands" and William Blake´s "The marriage of heaven and hell" were comparable with a revelation!

Besides that, I really like the literary classics! Amongst all of them, and not to forget: Stevenson´s Treasure Island, wich I´ve read countless times.
Currently I'm reading "Lord of the Flies", also a brilliant book! William Golding received the Nobel Prize in Literature for this piece of art.

How about your preferences?

Rennfisch
16th December 2010, 03:20 PM
My favorite book is currently my English - German dictionary!!!11111

Dan Locke
16th December 2010, 03:55 PM
I can't really say that I have a favorite author or book, but I've been reading Dragonflight lately and it's pretty good.

Medusa
17th December 2010, 12:35 AM
I'm a huge fan of the classics...when I think "what's my favourite?" it's hard to pick one...probably either Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas et assistants LOL), Pickwick Papers (Dickens in hilarious mode) or Wuthering Heights (forget the movies, the book is a real chiller XD). In fact, since it's cold and windy, I want to go read Wuthering Heights right now...
Poets...I love Poe's Metzengerstein especially. I'm reading Yeats atm, and enjoying the lyricism. Love how he's "creating a new brand of Irish" using the English language. :D Oh, irony.

P.S. LOL, Rennfish!

Oryx Crake
17th December 2010, 12:50 AM
nice topic!

hm... but it is a tough question. The one book I've read that really took me to a different world (might be because I was younger then) was The Master & Margharita by Michail Bulgakov.

But another faveourite is The handmaids tale by Margaret Atwood.

as for the classics Hemingway's The old man and the sea is a great book.. even though it is very short.

F.E.I.S.A.R
17th December 2010, 06:07 AM
This is off-topic as Charles M. Shulz was not a writer nor author(or was he?)
For those who don't know him,he was the creator of the comic strip Peanuts.

Temet
17th December 2010, 09:16 AM
I loved Asimov, both Robots and Foundation cycle.
It's hard to find a favorite book... I loved so much "I am Legend" (terrible adaptation on screen, I was so disapointed...) , "La nuit des temps" (French writer, don't know english title... if there is!) or "Inverted world" ...
But if I have to choose one, I will choose "Ubik" from "Philip K. Dick". This is actually to only book from this writer that I liked... but this one is brilliant!

PS : yes, only SciFi books ;)

yeldar2097
17th December 2010, 10:55 AM
One of my recent faves is the play of Biedermann und die Brandstifter by Max Frisch.

It's a bit slapstick at times but I read it with a friend and found it utterly hilarious :D

Flint Fandango
18th December 2010, 01:49 PM
Wuthering Heights (forget the movies, the book is a real chiller XD).
Funny, when I was in a bookstore recently, I had to decide between "Lord of the Flies" and "Wuthering Heights".
But postponed is not canceled, therefore, the next title I´ll buy, is already clear: Wuthering Heights!
Like the book before, I will read the title in the english original.

Medusa
18th December 2010, 02:43 PM
I hope you enjoy it! For being written by such a young thing, it has quite an impressive aura throughout. I'm going to look into the books mentioned here as well, I have to go by recommendations when picking out new books to read because there's so much junk out there...I think I may end up reading some of Temet's selections, thanks Temet!

MENGKESHI
18th December 2010, 11:51 PM
When it comes to fiction, for me it's all about the sprawling fantasy epics, of which the genre's flagship series are "Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan and "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin. Another pretty cool one was "Crown of Stars" by Kate Elliot.

Tomahawk
19th December 2010, 10:36 AM
My favourite books are either fantasy or sci-fi novels: The Dark Elf Trilogy written by R.A. Salvatore, which contains the three books Homeland, Exile and Sojourn, The Dragonlance Chronicles written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, which contains the three books Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night and Dragons of Spring Dawning and the Tribe Of One Trilogy (The Outcast, The Seeker and The Nomad) from the Dark Sun series written by Simon Hawke are my three most loved and mostly read fantasy epics I'd say.
In case of sci-fi novels I agree with Temet about The Foundation Trilogy written by Isaac Asimov being one of the genre's most epic novels! It seems that more people think like this - I had to buy the book already for a 4th time this summer because every time I've lent it to someone else I've never got it back... Another one of my favourite sci-fi writers is William Gibson, father of The Neuromancer Trilogy and a bunch of other great sci-fi novels.

Rennfisch
30th December 2010, 02:00 PM
My favorite authors are Terry Pratchett and Walter Moers. They have a wonderful, whimsical writing style.