PDA

View Full Version : [source] The Concept Art Book

metronum
10th December 2010, 04:47 PM
Greetings everyone.

I am maturing an idea since a couple of weeks and I would like you guys to tell me what you think about it.
As you know already, there isn't any conceptual art book available for Wipeout.
So I am thinking of developing one for us :rock

The principle is to build a website and collect as many as possible Artworks from all around the world, pull up a poll to sort out which ones should get to the book and then send over to the printer.
I am working in a creative agency so it wouldn't be hard to put out a nice layout and also to get nice price from printers (talking about proper Hardcover).

To escape SONY (copyrights:turd) I am thinking of establishing the visual before 2097.
The title _Wipeout [source]_ kinda match the idea I have (or just Source).
To make it simple the concepts must take place between nowadays and 2097. All visuals should be focus around this era and show the progression of the anti-gravity technology. To be discuss of course!

See for example what they do on cgsociety.org (http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/05/entries.php).
It is the way it should be done I reckon, kind of a challenge open to everyone who's happy to join.
As for the book, everyone could have access to the final book layout and be able to print it from home if they want to!

I know it is a bit complicated, but if the artists turn their interest to it, it would be the best concept art book out there.

By the way, we may see in our life time anti gravity device out there, check this out: A new Mechanical Antigravity concept (http://www.zpenergy.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3231)

Nutcase:259
10th December 2010, 06:37 PM
so a big book of WipEout art if im reading correctly.
still kind of confused about the "establishing the visual before 2097?"

however i think the title is cool _Wipeout [source]_ it has that mechanical roobotic sort of theme to it. which is something i always find springs to mind when i think of wipeout, that whole minimalist futuristic robotic feel

if im reading it right it sounds cool. any stipulations as to what we can use to design. like can it be hand drawn like blueprints or 3d renderings?

metronum
10th December 2010, 08:09 PM
Hey :)
You don't think that before 2097 could be spot on then?
I thought it would be more exiting re inventing Wipeout instead of basing the designs on existing wipeout.
PLus it would make sense regarding the title [source]. The period before the first F5000 race take place. So vehicle can be prototypes and on....
Still though I am maturing the project and it will really depend on people involvment anyway.

Regarding rules of submission I think it has to be really free, from sketch to 3d renders, the only constraint is the quality though. Minimum 300dpi for print. So if you scan you gotta make sure it is properly done and that the picture has been cleaned up via photoshop.
After that anyone can submit anything that is related to wipeout, environment, ship, characters, anti gravity component.

At the end it would be a concept book, so opened to all type of ideas.
A suivre...

12th December 2010, 07:53 PM
ahhh ok, no its not that i didnt think its a good idea being before/during 2097, its just that i ddint really know what you ment, now that i do i think its a cool idea, using the first 2 a reference point the going off on your own trail.

characters could be badass.i remember always reading the destruction derby 2 manual and seeing the character designs and thinking it was awsome.
or like ship concept drawings. or official looking documents of orthographic drawings.

still dont know what suivre means :lol is it 'to be continued'?

Mu5
14th December 2010, 05:07 AM
Great idea!! :) :+

It would be great if you could do a couple of mockups of what the pages might look like using the fan-art in the 'Imagine a New Wipeout Team' (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6454) thread :) Im sure a lot of people would be interested in it :)

On the pre-2097 concept ......very interesting you should mention that :)

metronum
14th December 2010, 11:08 PM
I am getting everything together and will upload stuff soon.
WIll probably get the domaine name too.

Beside I will contribute myself with a spaceship I developed.
Including blue print and rendering breakdown.

I really picture tracks into nowdays cities. A bit like Irobot, the kinda future close to us, 20 up to 30 years. Would really like to see renders using photorealistic techniques.
For instance what bother me in WipeoutHD is that you don't see dust, dirt or wrecks from ships. Wipeout source should have this feel of poluted city (bit like bladerunner). Closer from what we saw in 2097 intro,,,dark, eerie, gloomy etc...

A suivre (to be continued :)

19th December 2010, 05:16 PM
yes the dark polluted theme, again thats what springs to mind when i think of wipeout. if this were a book . then i imagine that it be like looking at a series of different leaked documents from teams, if that makes sense, so there all official looking with blue prints. you could even include the pilot biographies that challengers done to embellish it? like dossier or something?

Xpand
19th December 2010, 06:37 PM
Does this mean we can make pre-2097 ship concepts? That would be awesome!

metronum
20th December 2010, 11:02 PM
That is totally my point! Case studies around original AG crafts design.
That is the idea behind [source].

I am still getting my comp. sorted (shitty virus) for now but will get something online before 2011. Meanwhile I will try to kinda build a sample case study based around my design so it would kinda provide guidance.

Are you guys using Adobe CS or/and 3d softwares?
But once again line drawings are very welcome indeed.
Maybe we should team up, good designers should give blue prints to modelers and on...

metronum
21st December 2010, 09:33 AM
Awe-inspired graphic designer artist I love:
Olly Website (http://www.ollymoss.com/)
Check is video game section.
I am so inspired by his work that I am thinking of doing something similar for the website wipeout source, style wise.

Check his latest work for Star wars (http://www.journaldugeek.com/2010/12/21/star-wars-inspire-encore-et-toujours/capture-d%E2%80%99ecran-2010-12-21-a-10-49-08/)....awesome!!!

Cheerio

Xpand
21st December 2010, 11:03 AM
I use Blender, gmax and Photoshop.
I can make some blueprints!

metronum
21st December 2010, 05:41 PM
Lets begin!

Beside, just found original Psygnosis logo (http://www.sci-fi-o-rama.com/category/genre/psygnosis/) designer. Interesting thoughts!

21st December 2010, 08:57 PM
Ive got ProDesktop 8, Gimp.2.6? which after using CS4 for 2 years is really clunky to use, its got all the same stuff but its all different names and folder locations, also got a DSLR Nikon that i could use maybe? nothing more photorealistic than a photo eh? ;)

Challenger #001
21st December 2010, 09:47 PM
Heh, if you guys want to pester me for blueprint stuff or even forbidden archive material from inter-team radios and all, I'd be more than willing to provide. ;) Just leave a PM.

metronum
23rd December 2010, 09:23 AM
Guys I need someone to help me out writing the brief for this project.
Kinda need to be conceive and must describes clearly what we want....Anyone volunteer??? My english aint that fantastic!