Xpand
3rd December 2010, 09:22 PM
What makes you say that?

kaori
3rd December 2010, 10:24 PM
Let's see in 2052 :D

Aeroracer
3rd December 2010, 10:35 PM
if the world dosnt get destroyed i think we will have another installment of wipeout.though i think its gonna get a total overhaul next time around to make it more appealing to those who never played it.also im sure they will advertise it properly the next time around.

F.E.I.S.A.R
4th December 2010, 04:14 AM
The end to me is when the series loses it's fans.So no. Not yet.
Fan projects counted as neo-WipEout?

Medusa
4th December 2010, 05:03 PM
+1 to jasmin-jade's post!
Otherwise, it's not the end for wipEout, because my PS1 is still running. Until it dies, WipE'out" forever!!! I can play the first three forever, so if the next installment is crap and not wipeout-like at all in gameplay, I'm pretty much set for life with the godliness of the originals. XD

Colonel
6th December 2010, 04:54 PM
I have to say there seems to be a lot of negativity with regards to Wipeout. People are always talking about its demise. I've only had HD for a few months and I am always meeting new players online, so I think it has greater longevity than it's given credit for.

Having said that I don't know how busy the servers were a year ago or more.

Oryx Crake
6th December 2010, 05:00 PM
@colonel busier sadly... but it goes in waves. I think though that with some additional content HD could linger on for another couple of years, if that doesn't happen though they should make a new game fast.

Nutcase:259
6th December 2010, 06:45 PM
Im with the Colonel with this one :g
whats with all the doom and gloom. i thought it was only a few weeks ago that every one was raving about a Studio Liverpool Vacancy for a high profile racing game.

its not over till the fat lady sings :rock

Flint Fandango
6th December 2010, 08:17 PM
Never! The further technology progresses, the better consoles will appear. WipEout is a game which has absolutely the potential to grow with these developments!
In the future, there will be even more varied possibilities for the concept of WipEout.
And the real fans will still be there...

DjM1zw1z
6th December 2010, 08:37 PM
Please do not refer you vote to the fake event of 2012,
i had a feeling that Wipeout was going to end, The website is inactive, theres not many popular WO websites out there and i just think is this the time for wipeout to go to sleep.

Xpand
6th December 2010, 08:51 PM
No.. No it's not... Wipeout has a lot of empty plot spaces... There's enough reason to make a new one... Of course it all depends on the developers... Otherwise, we'll have to make it...

TreAtzTMA
9th January 2011, 03:59 PM
What Wipeout needs is a proper full size game with some push behind it. It's just too great of a game and it has a hardcore fanbase for it to "die.". HD just sort of appeared with little fanfare behind it, and really, only wipeout fans picked it up, or maybe a little word of mouth. A few more DLC's would be nice to keep it fresh.

Popularity is a double edged sword. If the game were to become big time huge, there would be too many compromises to the game so that it would have broad appeal.

WolfKill01
9th January 2011, 08:28 PM
I certaintly hope not. I couldn't bare to see another one of this genre's greats fall, like f-zero and extreme-g.

Dan Locke
9th January 2011, 10:00 PM
To be unpleasantly honest, Wipeout's end was Wipeout Fusion. After that, it's been an exclusively handheld and download-only series. (The Blu-Ray and PS2 releases of Wipeout HD and Wipeout Pulse, respectively, don't really change that - both were released more than a year later than their original versions to almost no fanfare, and the Blu-Ray version of Wipeout HD is, to my knowledge, severely limited in comparison to the PSN release.) On top of that, the last game was literally an aggregate port of the two previous ones with very little content, none of it original. Does that sound like a good way to ensure a franchise's popularity? Does that sound like a means to keep it in the public eye? Name a series that went from console releases on a physical medium to handhelds and increased in popularity. The only example that comes to mind is The Legend of Zelda, and that's only because they kept making console-based installments. Also, it's one of Nintendo's flagship franchises; that might have something to do with it as well.

The Wipeout series may be applauded by critics, and it may have a strong cult following, but it's also been terribly mishandled. The last installment to get a proper promotional treatment from Sony was Wipeout Pure, and Sony's brilliantly awful PSP marketing dragged that one down like a ball and chain. Since then, Wipeout's steadily moved down Sony's list of priorities. I can see one or two new expansion packs for Wipeout HD in the near future, but, with the way that the series is going, I'm not holding my breath for another full release.

And that's a shame, because Wipeout certainly doesn't deserve this treatment.

XpanDrome2097
9th January 2011, 10:37 PM
For me absoultely the answer is no: also the baddest of the beasts has a bit of intelligence and Sony can't abandon a project like this (sorry but I hate Sony for what it have did to the SL guys, now am happy to know that they have found new employments for their creativity), don't forget that the original WipEout was one of "must-have" games for the original psx at its beginning: I hope that Sony still remember how many exemplars of its novice console (at that time) have been sold due to the amazing effect that WipEout has did to many players in the 1995...
And I hope that Sony still remember also that Psygnosis in its second period was "under its wishes", and has released a lot of amazing games exclusively for psx that have created a lot of success (and gave a lot of money in their bucks), and this has permitted to it to be the next-big-thing of videogaming...
...and 2097? Wip3out? One of best game series for Playstation just as Ridge Racer, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid...
At the years of Studio Liverpool they have created Fusion...that, crap or not, has permitted to sold a lot of esemplars of its new console, the Playstation 2!
Pure was selected for the launch of PSP...a great number of PSPs have been sold due to this great launch...Pulse was another "must-have" for the portable consolle of Sony...
WipEout HD and its Fury expansion? Is this forum a valid example for the love that some people prove for this game?
Ok, the team at Sony isn't the same...but, after all of this, you think that Sony could abandon this serie, that has without any doubt one of the most solid bases of die-hard fans all around the World, just for a caprice of renewal?
I will hope to...no!
Honestly? I hate Sony (:bomb) for what it have did to the guys of SL, but am waiting for a new game that must be proud to never feel missed the amazing work of the old-school guys for everyone of us!

Be honest guys, everyone of us hope into a new game, and Sony can't forget these things (...or I have the will to think this...)...

And...excuse me, but what's the inactive site?
...even the wip3out site is still alive :P...

blackwiggle
9th January 2011, 11:48 PM
Dan locke pretty much summed it up.
Just a few additions.
Colin berry said that Sony had canned any further work on HD/FURy or any new Wipeout because it said racing games sold in cycles, and atm Sony reckoned the market wouldn't purchase it if a new Wipeout was released.
Yet Motostorm survives, something hypocritical about that IMHO.

I know Colin went to Bizzare Creations around late 2009 before the Studio Liverpool retrenchments in Feb 2010, and then two of those that had lost their jobs at SL had joined him around March/April.
But then Activision pulled the plug on Bizzare and it's USA sister Budcat according to this.
http://palgn.com.au/17725/rumour-bizarre-creations-and-budcat-creations-closed/
Nothing has been mentioned about this at the zone previously, so I'm not sure what the actual situation is, job wise, with some of the ex Wipeout team members.

It's generally considered that it has been SCEA that has been calling the disastrous run of marketing & promotional [hah, what promotion] decisions with Wipeout since Pure.
The irony of that is that Wipeout has always been most popular in Europe, so SCEE should of been calling the shots.
The rot had truly set in when the DLC for Pulse was not released in the USA.
Not having a Disc base release of HD hurt it badly I think, as even many zone members said at the time they would not be purchasing a download only version.
People not seeing it in stores, which is a promotion in itself, cost it sales.
Additionally the high cost of a PS3 even 18 months after release was another factor, people just couldn't afford one so there was a whole heap of Wipeout players lost.
Then the total lack of promotion of HD when it was released, and now it's languishing at the Pstore as a HD/Fury bundle.
That's not likely to attract anybody who has never heard of Wipeout before.
Although giving it away to PS+ subscribers for a short time did see a influx of new players.

The job advertisement at SL a few months back for a senior designer for a high profile Futuristic racing Game franchise does give a glimmer of hope.
Although the quick removal of the word Futuristic from the ad does make you wonder what is afoot at SL.

MegaGeeza22
10th January 2011, 01:51 AM
I dont think this is the end of wipeout. if theres money to be made sony will be on it. Technology is advancing and games like this will soon appeal to the masses! 200 years from now people will be watching this on tv and F1 will be a vintage thing like old 1890s cars today... I want to be frozen in time and awaken in 200+ years lol, Why did we have to be born at the start of the technology boom haha! I want to go to the moon in my modified Icaras!! YES wipeout will be back...
- "SL" iv always been confused when people write this! "whats a speed lap got to do with it?" haha! now i no what it is

XpanDrome2097
10th January 2011, 12:22 PM
I've never see the Dan Locke's post until now, I agree with him.
For me the first "bad walk" of wipeout was Fusion: for me, Fusion is a good game, but it has nothing of a REAL WipEout game...the handling is ridicolous, the cartoon-style design is ridicolous, the smooth 3-D design of the ships is ridicolous...but, ridicolous if I think that before the word "Fusion", there's the word "WipEout" on the cover.
Otherwise, all remains good if I think at a futuristic racing game like others.
Pure is a GREAT game, and I mean great: great for gameplay, atmosphere, design, music and it's my favourite one of the last episodes but...personally it was damaged by the awful deceleration on the ships around the corners, and if I search a real WipEout-old style handling, I choose Triakis, that with its bug of "overpower", it can feel very similar to a 2097/Wip3out's ships handling...
Pulse is a very good game, but it has the "damned" (for my opinion) handheld exclusive, that promises nothing as good...honestly, I don't like in any way the design of the menu, but this remains another personal thing.
Pulse conversion for ps2 is great, but, honestly, for me it hasn't the fascination of the original for psp.
HD is an awesome game, but honestly I've expected more than a full-size screen adaptation of the hand-held previous games, but remains another great game.

Personally, the last WipEout games had lost the original aerodynamic feel of the ship's handling for the first 3 games, but remains only a personal feeling.
But this don't means that I don't like the last four episodes, at most I like all of them with all the differences.

Additionally the high cost of a PS3 even 18 months after release was another factor, people just couldn't afford one so there was a whole heap of Wipeout players lost.

Yes, the cost remains too high, in my country at this time the ps3 costs over 100 euros more than an xbox360.

The job advertisement at SL a few months back for a senior designer for a high profile Futuristic racing Game franchise does give a glimmer of hope.
Although the quick removal of the word Futuristic from the ad does make you wonder what is afoot at SL.

I think that we must hope in this...I would believe that this game would be another WipEout game.

Rotational_aspect
12th January 2011, 09:14 AM
Thinking rationally this is the end unless Sony decide to do a reboot with HD visuals paired up with the atmosphere of 2095/XL or 3 (with the ability for custom ships a la ModRacers). And that is unlikely as it appears Sony have lost interest in the franchise, or they are waiting for the PS4.

I would love a disc version too- when WO3 appeared I loved the hard edged (sadly now defunct) Designers Republic look. I picked up a Jap pre-release review copy and with Japanese text the whole package (manual and box) looks really amazing.

This situation is annoying because HD and Fury did everything right. For a launch DL title it had custom soundtracks, massive value for money, 1080p res (sort of) before any other game, (later) 3D support plus great DLC. And it did all this with virtually no promotion (compared to titles like LBP) and did it via word of mouth.

But you may get a Tomb Raider style reboot someday, and the later games in that series are not too shabby.

metronum
12th January 2011, 10:01 PM
...it will never die! And this forum is the proof.

Nevertheless it is most likely that the next one to come will arrive on multiple platforms, such as PS4 (I still dont really believe that) PSP2 and probably PS3.

Now the truth is, you need the right people to create the right game at the right time.
Dismantling Psygnosis: NO GOOD
Have Sony directing : BAD IDEA
Multiplatforms: ARRFFF

Scenario N°1
Steve Jobs or Bronson having sudden interest in Anti-gravity technology (producing a I fly or/and Virgin AG on demand), and by that I mean getting the general public interest on it and eventually draw intention to our license!

Scenario N°2
UFO disclosure (wikileak) and developing reverse technology based on UFO flying saucer which would eventually get us a bunch of new games based on A.G.

Scenario N°3
None of that happen, and finally in about one year SONY release a game...Better, faster, but not as we want it. Most likely dissapointing but even though we'll be happy :)

bigboss
5th February 2011, 03:05 PM
Never!

Never! The further technology progresses, the better consoles will appear. WipEout is a game which has absolutely the potential to grow with these developments!
In the future, there will be even more varied possibilities for the concept of WipEout.
And the real fans will still be there...

Quote! :D