PDA

View Full Version : My youtube account has been deleted :'(

SaturnReturn
17th November 2010, 05:22 PM
Well, I'm not a happy bunny.

I just came home and tried to log into youtube, but my password didn't work. I then tried recovering the password and was told the account didn't exist. I tried checking by entering the email address I have for the account and the email I received told me that I have no accounts associated with the address.

Has anyone had any trouble with their own accounts? Has anyone heard anything about youtube in the news today?

This is very strange. That's quite a lot of videos I've lost.:(

KGB
17th November 2010, 05:38 PM
I noticed this today when I was trying to look at your ID card video, very strange.

yeldar2097
17th November 2010, 05:49 PM
I was wondering what the "This channel is no longer available because the user has closed their account." was about. I was gonna ask you about that on MSN Messenger.

Email the YouTube people, see if there's anything they can do. Would be a great shame if all those vids were lost :nod

SaturnReturn
17th November 2010, 05:55 PM
A couple of others have had the same thing just today.

http://www.google.co.uk/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=25e93da3f9178386&hl=en

http://www.google.co.uk/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=1fd08cb3ddef7e1b&hl=en

JJPAP
17th November 2010, 06:00 PM
WTF, Plasma-Sat! (Yeah, your new nickname - to me - btw ... :o ...)
That´s a bloody scandal/disaster. All vids gone?
Hopefully there´s something YT can do about it!

SaturnReturn
17th November 2010, 06:04 PM
I've submitted a request to ask why. I've submitted another to recover the account. If I closed it, as the message states, then I should be able to re-open it, apparently. Obviously I didn't close it so something's gone wrong somewhere and it may well be unrecoverable.

All I can say is that it's a good thing I had a tasty meat feast pizza for dinner to keep me level headed. Mmmmmmm :pizza

Darkdrium777
17th November 2010, 06:58 PM
http://help.youtube.com/support/youtube/bin/request.py?contact_type=reopenaccount ?

You may already have done it. Anyway everything you had is not recoverable, shame. Is there the possibility it was hacked? Change your passwords everywhere I guess...

Woopzilla
17th November 2010, 07:28 PM
Seeing as there's about 10 threads over the first two pages with people stating the same thing I suspect it's just YouTube screwing stuff up as usual. I bet it's somehow related to how they constantly badger you to link your account to a google account... just that they stuffed something up this time.

Hope you can get your videos back. :S

zeeZ
17th November 2010, 08:45 PM
Your account contained content. It is not available in your country and/or worldwide.
:(

SaturnReturn
18th November 2010, 11:15 PM
Well, as well as asking why my account had been closed, I also did the re-open thing mentioned earlier. My account has now been re-opened. It seems my subs, friends, favourites etc are all there. But as DD777 pointed out, my videos are not, and so neither are the comments. I'm not sure why but I feel like I'd kind of rather not have the account at all than have a hollow one like this. It's all very odd.

F.E.I.S.A.R
19th November 2010, 12:15 AM
I guess I won't be having some link which is broken if you did not get your account back,SR. You still have the videos?If so,maybe you could upload them again.

Darkdrium777
19th November 2010, 01:35 AM
Interesting.

"The page isn't redirecting properly

Link (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=03F5C5216DC22B89&playnext=1&v=lYeN9Mdlfjs).

ProblemSolver
19th November 2010, 05:42 PM
So there is no delay until an account's content gets finally deleted?

SaturnReturn
19th November 2010, 05:53 PM
Apparently so PS. If you close your account, then the vids go instantly it would seem. There might be some delay I guess, but I expect there are just multiple warnings along the way before you close/delete. Of course, I can't say for sure, as I didn't do it.:rolleyes:

ProblemSolver
19th November 2010, 06:19 PM
Note: Your account information such as videos and comments will NOT be restored.
mkey

Question is; why do they follow such a strategy? There must be a specific
reason doing so (law?).

SaturnReturn
19th November 2010, 06:47 PM
Logically, I would say they're not allowed to hold personal information if you decide to delete the account. But then they do hold your personal info and everything, just not videos. It's very strange.

@DD777 - was that a part of a playlist? The address was really long. If you shorten it to just the standard video link then it gives the standard message about the video being deleted.

ProblemSolver
25th November 2010, 11:58 AM
I've investigated a bit on the issue;

Hi everyone,

We've seen many of you here in the forum posting that your YouTube Account was suddenly deleted. I recommend reading this Help Center article which provides more detail as to why this occurred:
http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=1061539

Here's what's going on: while ago, you deleted your Google Account. Usually, when you delete a Google Account, all related Google Services are deleted at the same time. There was a long-standing bug though with linked YouTube-Google Accounts. When you deleted your Google Account YouTube as a service was not deleted.

This issue has been corrected, and now, when you delete your Google Account, the entire Google Account (and related services- YouTube included), will be deleted.

We’re also retro-actively deleting the YouTube Accounts which were impacted by the bug and which were not deleted at the same time when you deleted the Google Account. This is why your YouTube Account suddenly disappeared / was deleted.

Some of you have been trying to re-open deleted YouTube Account. You've used the reinstate contact form to in the Help Center to reinstate the closed YouTube Account. When you get the Account re-opened again its blank. Videos etc. are no longer there.

We reported this situation to the Team and recognize that this is alarming (especially if you've been using your YouTube Account recently after you deleted your Google Account).

You'll be able to retrieve your videos after you've re-opened your YouTube Account.

You request that we reopen your account here:

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?&answer=57392

Some time next week, after your Account's been re-opened, your videos will also be restored too.

Just fill out the contact form and by next week your account and videos should be reinstated.

Our apologies for any confusion, and we hope that this info's useful.

~ Liz (on behalf of the Team here in San Bruno)

Woopzilla
25th November 2010, 08:04 PM
A bug? More like the dumbest decision ever to retro-actively delete them later on. Why couldn't they send an e-mail to the address linked to the youtube account to confirm the deletion? Surely if those people wanted the youtube closed too, they would've used youtube's own account deletion options. They could've also checked when the last login and uploaded video date was? Anyway, I knew it was somehow 'google account' related.

Well whatever, good to hear Saturn's able to get his videos back. :)

SaturnReturn
25th November 2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the info PS. Indeed, I have my videos back, which is great. :+ No word at all from anyone at youtube about any of it though.

I submitted a request to reopen at more or less the same time as querying my account closure. I got a response to the former first, and then one about the latter, simply telling me my account was open so there was no problem. I got a feedback request on the reopening issue and put 'extremely dissatisfied' in all the boxes. That was the first form that actually gave me enough characters to complain with properly too. So I did.

The above message isn't quite true for me. I still have my gmail account, which is my google account. At one point they were linked, but I didn't want to because there was some clash between them, the details of which I can't exactly remember now. Anyway, I guess the unlinking was considered the same by youtube as deletion of the google account. But whatever the story, it really is silly for all this to happen without any official word from youtube - no warning or anything. My account has always had my hotmail address as the contact email, so there's no excuse.

Darkdrium777
26th November 2010, 04:35 AM
I too once linked my google account to my youtube account, but I removed it right after doing so because it was no longer sending the Youtube emails to my hotmail account but to my gmail account (Which is totally not what it's for.)

My Youtube account didn't get deleted because of this "bug". It's certainly not what that lady said that happened.

SaturnReturn
28th November 2010, 08:25 PM
Gah! I remember now why I unlinked the account.

I like to stay signed into youtube, but if I then want to access a different google account then I have to sign out of youtube first, because it's all based on google sign-ins.

I just found this out, because now it's treating my youtube account as a google sign-in. So even though I sign in with the youtube username (which only has a hotmail address associated with it), if I then go to gmail, it asks me to associate that hotmail address with a google account. So I can't stay signed in to youtube AND separately sign into my actual gmail account.

Gah! It's all messed up.:bomb

yeldar2097
28th November 2010, 08:28 PM
Welcome to what I've been dealing with since they implemented this bullshit linking system -_-

Darkdrium777
28th November 2010, 10:10 PM
The system is designed by humans. As such, what may be considered convenient for some (linking) may not be for others.
Unfortunately I don't think there's a way of telling Youtube something about that. Suggestion Boxes are rare. :/

SaturnReturn
28th November 2010, 10:16 PM
Bloody humans, thinking they're smarter than the rest of us.:robot

Jokes aside, you would have thought this kind of thing would come up as an obvious flaw when they tested the system.

Darkdrium777
23rd February 2011, 03:52 PM
GAH **** WHY!?!

WHY DO I HAVE TO LINK TO MY GOOGLE ACCOUNT!!!!!!!!

This is stupid. :/

EDIT: Eh, I think I broke it.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5079/brokeit.png

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/421/naughtyyea.png

YOUTUBE: I don't want you sending those Youtube e-mails on my gmail account kthx.