PDA

View Full Version : Boxing, anyone?

Colonel
13th November 2010, 12:42 AM
Anybody on here a fan of "the noble art"? Other than Wipeout it's one of my only interests.

Anyway, two big fights on this weekend - David Haye Vs Audley Harrison and Manny Pacquiao Vs Antonio Margarito.

Any thoughts?

OBH
13th November 2010, 09:50 PM
Just watched Haye vs Harrison.

worst fight ive ever seen in my life.
Harrisons 6"5 and didnt throw a punch till round 3.

Looking forward to watching Pacquiao though. He wont wait 6mins before throwing a punch.

Nutcase:259
13th November 2010, 10:26 PM
worst fight? u need to see Harrison V Danny Williams, a boxing match with more holds than punches LOL

Just saw Haye v Fraudley too. man that guy spent 10 years making a career out of talking crap and blocking, did he even throw a punch? lol, good to see old lennox lewis again though, hes stopped being stevie wonders look alike (with glasses on he looks like the hotter than july album cover :g) and has come back to boxing, well if only as a pundit

Haye has to fight either Klitchko brother now,

saw the 'pac mans' last couple of fights too. manny v Marques, then hatton then cotto. guys a machine and if he fought Mayweather, it would definatly be one of the greastest fights of the decade or even recent history, they both have incredible style.

infoxicated
13th November 2010, 11:08 PM
I might have been sucked into getting this on PPV if I still had Sky.

Glad I didn't now... three rounds, for goodness sake! What a weak showing - I bet the Olympics in 2000 feel like a lifetime ago for Harrison.

mdhay
14th November 2010, 02:19 PM
A lot of people say that I'm related to David, was really tempted to say yes until that fight. :g

Colonel
16th November 2010, 04:19 PM
Nutcase you are right, Harrison Vs Williams was the worst heavyweight fight I've ever seen. As for Saturday's farce, well I listened to it on the radio because there was no way I was paying for it. Harrison has flattered to deceive ever since he turned pro, to put it quite simply he's afraid of being punched. Sorry but I have limited sympathy for anybody who feels short changed, this fight was always a horrendous mismatch.

Had Pacquiao Vs Margarito been PPV I would have bought it, just because there won't be many more opportunities to see Manny fight. This was probably the best performance I've seen from him, absolutely spell-binding. I have to say Margarito went some way towards redeeming himself on Saturday night, both in the bravery of his perfomance and the truly humble statement he released afterwards. :+

Some good fights scheduled over the next few weeks… Froch Vs Abraham (close one to call but I'd say Abraham wins by late stoppage); Marquez Vs Katsidis (I'd go for Marquez on points); and my personal favourite – Khan Vs Maidana (could go either way but I'll stick my neck out and and say Khan by late TKO). :nod

On a related note, my friend found out on Sunday morning that he's to be a dad, he's currently trying to convince his girlfriend they should call it Manny if it's a boy. :beer

16th November 2010, 09:27 PM
Your right wen harrisons on the defensive you can see the fear in his eyes, he has a 'glass' jaw. so did lennox lewis in a way but he actually threw punches,

and yes manny is a brilliant name :g

OBH
16th November 2010, 10:10 PM
He looked terrified before he got in the wrong.

Im watching the documentary on Mike Tyson on TV. If you havnt seen it I strongly recommend in. He's such an intriguing character, with VICIOUS punches.

You know they have machines that register the force of your punch?? He once registered 3 tons. :|

Colonel
17th November 2010, 02:46 PM
I have the Tyson movie on DVD, it's ace. I know it's sympathetic towards him in the way it's directed but even so it shows him in a different light. Then again so does "The Hangover" :lol

Oh and Nutcase, please don't compare Audley Harrison to Lennox, it makes me sad.

OBH
17th November 2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah, Lennox actually punched people :)

17th November 2010, 08:53 PM
No no no. im not lennox is a different class, im just saying he too couldn't take punches well. Lewis v hassim Rahman being my best example

Colonel
18th November 2010, 08:02 AM
True, although I think he was horribly unprepared for that fight. He avenged it in style though.

Colonel
11th December 2010, 02:50 PM
Huge night of boxing tonight. Although there have been a couple of cancellations - notably Klitschko Vs Chisora, there are still a number of great fights for British boxers tonight.

James DeGale fights Paul Smith for the British Super Middleweight title. Smith has a huge advantage in experience but has fought pretty poorly of late. Although DeGale has never been furtheer than five rounds he has looked special in his last couple of fights, albeit against less than stellar opposition. Tough one to call but I have a feeling DeGale will rise to the occasion and win by stoppage.

Kell Brook, Matthew Macklin and Nathan Cleverly all fight limited opposition. Tune up fights to be honest, look for them all to win with relative ease.

Clearly the biggest fight of the night is Amir Khan Vs Marcos Rene Maidana in Las Vegas. This will be on a knife edge until the end. Khan has the superior speed, defence and skills, but Maidana's incredible power may well be the equaliser. My head says Khan by wide UD, but my heart says he boxes at range for the first few rounds, then begins to pick Maidana apart and forces the late stoppage. Of course there's always the chance Maidana will knock him out inside 3 rounds.

Also on the Khan Vs Maidana undercard is Victor Ortiz Vs Lamont Peterson. This should be a great fight, but I think Ortiz' speed and power will shine through, setting him up for some big fights in the next year.

Cracking night of boxing, can't wait. :D

Kyonshi
17th December 2010, 05:49 AM
Don't know about you guys, but here in Québec, capital city, we can't wait to see Jean Pascal (26-1-0, 16 KOs) beat down Bernard Hopkins (51-5-1, 32 KOs) this Saturday!:D The last tried to tease Pascal by putting hands on his championship belt... What a stupid f*** seriously. But that's no surprise from Hopkins, he always have been the b**** we saw during that press conference :P

For those who are intrigued, here's a link to my local news network. It's all in French, but you can clearly see vids on the right of the article.

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/sports/nouvelles/archives/2010/12/20101215-155914.html

Another Québec's superstar of boxing, Lucian Bute (27-0-0, 22 KOs), is scheduled to fight Irishman Brian Magee (34-3-1, 24 KOs) in March 2011. Never heard of this last one, but Bute is still the favorite to win!

Finally, everybody around the world should notice the prodigious rise of local Montréal promising pugilist David Lemieux (25-0-0, 24 KOs!!!), Canadian supermiddle weight champion and WBC middleweight champion. I've seen this guy first fights and has the fists of God, its ****ing unbelievable, he's only 22. Very modest guy, small height but packs a punch like TNT. The way he knocks down the opponent is dreadful!

Colonel
18th December 2010, 05:37 PM
I have no doubt that Pascal will beat Hopkins, but don't be surprised if it's an ugly fight. Hopkins will use all his dirty tricks - holding, spoiling, rabbit punches... I wish he'd retire to be honest, can't stand him. :mad:

Pascal has said he'll give Carl Froch a rematch at Light Heavyweight whenever he wants, which should be great, their fight at SMW was a thriller. It may be Bute that gets there fight first though, apparently he's signed a deal to fight the winner of the Super 6 - which he clearly should have been in anyway - and I have a strong feeling Froch can win the tournament. I thought the Kessler defeat may have dented his confidence but his win over Arthur Abraham was sublime, and surprising in its manner.

I'm yet to see David Lemieux fight but I've heard good things about him. Here in the UK there's an appalling lack of boxing on TV, other than British fighters, so I doubt I'll see the Hopkins Vs Pascal fight or the Bute fight. I did read something about a new channel though called Premier Sports TV, that should be broadcasting loads of fights from across the pond. May be worth a look for any British fight fans.

As a footnote can I say that the Khan Vs Maidana fight last week was amazing, definite "Fight Of The Year" contender. Khan had to weather a terrifying storm for the last three rounds, but somehow came through it on his feet; and having put enough rounds in the bank early on, kept his belt. Although Khan won, both fighters' stock have risen in my opinion. Bradley, Alexander, Ortiz etc, those guys won't want anything to do with Khan OR Maidana after what they witnessed last Saturday.

Can't wait for Bradley Vs Alexander next month though, it will be great. :rock

2nd July 2011, 11:03 PM
So thought id bring back this thread for the Haye vs Klitschko fight (hope this isnt necro posting :paperbag)

Good on Wladimir. Death by a hundred left hands.
Haye was pretty arrogant and stupid from the beginning, even all the way back to the posing in the weeks of build up IMO. Then followed it up with a lot of ducking and posturing but a lack of punching. Whereas Klitschko just kept on jabbing. Then Haye comes out with a Mike Tyson esque excuse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw47gXsDwjw) lol :lol
"i broke my toe in the build up and couldn't do my best". maybe er, i dunno close your gob in the build up then if you know you wont be 'best'?

So big respect for Wladimir, calm and dominant from the call out to the 12th round. totally on his terms. well and truly deserved win i think.

mdhay
2nd July 2011, 11:07 PM
I don't want my last name now. :redface:

Colonel
4th July 2011, 02:41 PM
Yeah it was a typically functional performance from Klitschko. Never going to set the world alight, but got the job done without taking many risks.

Haye was disappointing but hardly surprising to be honest. He talks a great fight but he was never going to stand and trade against Wlad. Just more hot air, and I'm glad he lost. Maybe he'll go away now, when Klitschko refuses the rematch. God knows he'll make plenty of money being a Vinny Jones type actor for a few years.

Now Khan Vs Judah on the other hand, that could be a belter :)

greenymac
4th July 2011, 04:42 PM
you said a mouthful in that last sentence...Zab is the man!:rock

4th July 2011, 06:20 PM
feels like zab judah's been around for ages? hes only 33, blimey checked the wikipedia and hes been fighting since '96!!
So on experience alone id say id lean toward him winning. but then i only really watched khan at the beginning of his career when his fights were more easily available on itv when he kept flooring nobodies inside 3 rounds. so i dunno, would need to see him now i guess. To YouTube! :lol

Colonel
4th July 2011, 09:33 PM
Personally I think Zab's recent comeback has been something of a false dawn, but his pedigree is undeniable. Gotta say Khan will have too much speed for him at this stage at his career, but it still makes for a good fight. I think Judah will be an excellent test of how Khan's come under Freddie Roach. I might just have the blinkers on though, being a big Khan fan.

greenymac
5th July 2011, 01:33 AM
No man, I didnt mean I thouht Zab would win...His best days were over 7 years ago, but hes still a consummate professional and a showman to boot. I like a fihter who gives the fans what they pay for and usually Zab does that. Although I thoroughly enjoyed watchin Bernard Hopkins win the belt a little more than a month ago. Man, did he fight a smart fight, he's a true technician. If you havent seen that fight you should see it. B-Hop just goes in and beats a man that is younger, bigger, stronger, and faster by fighting like a pro and only throwing punches o his terms...Fight made me have faith in boxing again.

Colonel
5th July 2011, 09:46 AM
I didn't see it Greeny, but it was a great achievement, no two ways about it. Becoming the oldest ever World Champion is amazing really, especially when people were telling him to retire five years ago. I don't think he's got the most enjoyable of styles though, lots of elbows, headbutts, nipple twisters etc.

greenymac
5th July 2011, 11:00 AM
It may not be an enjoyable style to watch, but he is effective and methodical...I can respect that. When hes outmatched in every physical category and still comes out and wins... Man I love that.

Colonel
23rd July 2011, 06:16 AM
Khan Vs Judah tonight, woohoo! It's on some dodgy channel here (Primetime) as the Khan team have fallen out with Sky. US viewers should see it on HBO I guess, with them being so close to GBP.

One of the biggest fights of the year, no doubt about it. Anyone with so much as a passing interest in boxing should be all over this. My prediction - Khan by UD, although if Judah fades as badly as I half suspect, a late stoppage is on the cards.

Let's get ready to rumble! :g

greenymac
23rd July 2011, 02:19 PM
I'll be at work, but I have my DVR set to record so when I get home its cold beer and fisticuffs:rock