PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so! (Apple/Sony speculation)

IndoorSnowStorm
26th October 2010, 09:16 PM
On macrumors.com (My brother goes there alot), there is an article that says Apple may be planning to buy Sony, or other companies like Facebook and Adobe, and even Disney. (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/26/speculation-of-an-apple-acquisition-drives-sonys-stock-price-up/)

Seeing as I totally dislike Apple products and their software, I was disgusted about what I read. Please post your thoughts on this matter, but please don't turn it into one of those company war things like Microsoft v. Apple.

infoxicated
26th October 2010, 09:20 PM
It was just a rumour posted by some financial blogger who was probably trying to offload Sony stock and buy some Apple shares. ;)

Nutcase:259
26th October 2010, 09:21 PM
erm what difference does it make if they did, ('cept charging extortionate prices for shiny 'white goods' as they call them)

IndoorSnowStorm
26th October 2010, 09:30 PM
They'd probably delete every game on PSN and replace it with little aps that last you 20 minutes. And they would charge you through the nose for it.

Then they will raise the price of all Sony products by 20% and change one little aspect of them, and call it revolutionary so people would buy it.

26th October 2010, 09:53 PM
what??? you saying a new Ipod that comes out every year in a new shade of white ISNT worth £200!!!!! :g

i got a walkman anyway, cost less, holds more and has headphones that are actually designed for human ears

whoops did i just stray into company bashing? :lol

that said tge ipod was kind of revolutionary, so fair play apple, just u know, bit expensive for an item thats almost immediately superceded

SaturnReturn
26th October 2010, 10:03 PM
Did you know that 'superseded' is spelled with an -s- and not a -c-? How weird is that? It seemed so wrong to my brain when I found out. Much like Apple buying Sony also seems wrong to my brain. Let's just hope that one doesn't turn out to be true.

26th October 2010, 10:09 PM
Oh Snap! Sat, really is it? *must look up* ahh it is superceded an superseded mean 2 different things, opps,u know what i mean :P

yeah it dont really make sense, surely they wanna hold onto that cash?

MetaKraken
26th October 2010, 10:09 PM
OMG what is it with Apple? They barely know anything about video games and they're gonna buy out Sony? Ugh... that's like EA trying to buy Rockstar Games out :bomb!

IndoorSnowStorm
26th October 2010, 10:59 PM
OMG what is it with Apple? They barely know anything about video games and they're gonna buy out Sony? Ugh... that's like EA trying to buy Rockstar Games out :bomb!
Remember MetaKraken, it's just a rumor. Nothing definite yet. :) Hopefully it stays that way.

Saturn: Very good way to introduce your thoughts! :clap

Aeroracer
26th October 2010, 11:03 PM
apple products look beautiful and stylish apart from that there crap... well thats what apple told me in there flagship store in bond street london who am i to disagree with the apple experts..

if they bought sony they would probally make it so if the fuse in the plug on your ps3 blew you wouldnt be able to change it and would have to send the whole unit to apple for a £70 fuse change charge.

hopefully its just rumour as stated by foxy.

@metakraken..hahahah thats funny u r politly saying EA are crap at making games

IndoorSnowStorm
26th October 2010, 11:10 PM
If they bought sony they would probally make it so if the fuse in the plug on your ps3 blew you wouldnt be able to change it and would have to send the whole unit to apple for a £70 fuse change charge.

When you said that I started cracking up, 'cause it would be true! :lol

EDIT: If you see my avatar change, It's because I'm trying to find a new one.

MetaKraken
26th October 2010, 11:20 PM
@Indoor: Let's hope. [crosses fingers]

@Jasmin: Yup, I remembered EA attempting to buy out Rockstar Games a few years back. And yes, they do make crap games (which explains why I would avoid buying "new" NFS games).

SaturnReturn
26th October 2010, 11:26 PM
I've changed my mind. I think it's a brilliant idea, just because I want this logo.

IndoorSnowStorm
26th October 2010, 11:30 PM
Saturn, that's hilarious! :lol
Though this could work too!

http://origin.myfonts.net/114/fs/u/62/7828c174bf8bf54ef44919a140f948.gif

Like what I did there? (Get it? A Pony!)

EDIT: Where did the attachment go? Here's the pic (http://origin.myfonts.net/118/fs/u/7d/b68631d3333f58c4b7acce30898b64.gif).
EDIT 2: Guess the image from the text generator times out after a while, so i give up.

blackwiggle
26th October 2010, 11:53 PM
I somehow think that the Japanese government would try to step in to stop any takeover of Sony by Apple.
I imagine it would be deemed just too humiliating for the Japanese to accept.

Anyway I agree with Infoxicated, some wannabe fund manager talking crap.

Aeroracer
27th October 2010, 01:22 AM
@indoor snow storm...i like your avatar...

@saturn..like your apple sony logo..you should copyright it and sell it to them for a million if they ever bought sony..

IndoorSnowStorm
27th October 2010, 01:57 AM
Thanks Jasmin! Oh, and Saturn, she has a pretty good point there, but since the sony logo and the apple logo are copyrighted, then copyrighting the logo you made would be an infringement.

infoxicated
27th October 2010, 09:16 AM
I read this article on the train home last night - I wish others had done the same before getting carried away:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTOE69P05E20101026

But even the author of the report, Eric Savitz, on Tuesday sought to clear up misconceptions about any potential combination of Apple and Sony.

He wrote in a blog post on Barron's website, "In the piece I noted that the company could do something aggressive, like bidding for Adobe, Sony or even Disney. But that was pure speculation. Yeesh."
So yeah, typical journalist behaviour. Man wanted clicks on his article, said something completely overblown and preposterous, internet morons spread the word like it's cold hard fact, and there you have it.

IndoorSnowStorm
27th October 2010, 08:12 PM
Well, the journalist got what they wanted.:cold
Oh, well it provided for an interesting discussion!:)

Oryx Crake
27th October 2010, 11:58 PM
if they bought sony they would probally make it so if the fuse in the plug on your ps3 blew you wouldnt be able to change it and would have to send the whole unit to apple for a £70 fuse change charge.

I dunno if I think sony are a whole lot better in that respect... the blue-ray reader on my ps3 has stopped working and and I cant hand it in to get fixed.
See what they do is they make you send it to them, they scrap the old one and then they make you pay a sum of about 400 USD (cant be bothered checking exchange rates for anything else sorry) to get a completely new one sent back to you.

Though I do agree that apple's business model sometimes borders on the obscene... on the other hand they still get people to buy their stuff (I should know I fell for it myself with the bloody Iphone) so maybe it's the consumers who are crap... I.e me:brickwall

omega329
28th October 2010, 09:58 AM
You don't buy Apple for the functionality, you buy it for the branding, they're the jimmy choo of the electronics market.

F.E.I.S.A.R
28th October 2010, 12:25 PM
Hm...I'm wondering about Apple Fanboys/Fangirls who insist on calling Apple products in its entire name(ie iPod Touch and not iTouch).
I don't think things will stay the same if Apple does buy Sony. But some are already bashing Sony(the way it is).
And I feel that some of Apple products are expensive. I wonder what will happen to the PlayStation line/family if Apple aqquires Sony.Maybe (the PSP)destroyed as Apple would want its iPod Touches or iPhones to dominate.

IndoorSnowStorm
28th October 2010, 07:25 PM
Sony just needs to pop out with the PSP2 fast. If they don't, then the Touch would surely take over the market. I still don't understand why some people think that the iPod can be a serious gaming device, though.

UB3R~JKP
28th October 2010, 09:25 PM
ISS, You'll be friggen surprised! I know someone who goes nuts over the iTouch and laughs at me while I play my PSP3000

...Then I play Modnation Racers and he is gutted. :P

F.E.I.S.A.R
29th October 2010, 12:01 PM
@UB3R:Gutted? How?
I'm not a big fan of accelerometer games.I prefer touch controls that feel like I'm holding a controller(when it comes to touch based games on the iPhone that my bro has)
And Apple hardware to me is expensive.Yes,the PS3 is slightly expensive,but the iPhone(4) costs almost as much as a PS3,if not more.

IndoorSnowStorm
29th October 2010, 07:21 PM
I think the buttons on games for the touch are too close together. I like my buttons spaced well apart, like the psp. Also, having a rectangle in your hand isn't very comfortable.

DJ Techno
31st October 2010, 11:31 PM
on macrumors.com (my brother goes there alot), there is an article that says apple may be planning to buy sony, or other companies like facebook and adobe, and even disney. (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/26/speculation-of-an-apple-acquisition-drives-sonys-stock-price-up/)

seeing as i totally dislike apple products and their software, i was disgusted about what i read. Please post your thoughts on this matter, but please don't turn it into one of those company war things like microsoft v. Apple.

hahahaha
lmfdo

hahaha

and they said disney too.

Hahahaha

load of **** down apples throat.

infoxicated
1st November 2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks, Mike, for confirming that this thread is completely pointless.