PDA

View Full Version : how does zone mode work?

bunkergate.7
10th February 2003, 09:33 AM
Does anyone now how zone mode really works?
I think boosting and perfect rounds cause point-multiplicators, that's why I always try to catch my beloved blue arrows (till lvl 99) as possible (mandrashee!!!).
But do those multiplicators really influence the growing up of my points?
(I would be very disappinted if not...)

Another question: beyond zone 35 it's getting VERY fast - is it better to hold one airbrake as long as you can?? Von wegen Effizienz.

bei adrenalinmangel wird ihnen wipeout empfohlen

infoxicated
10th February 2003, 01:04 PM
You'll need the help of one of our Zone mode gurus for advice on that... :)

lunar
10th February 2003, 06:05 PM
In the absence of the real zone mode gurus, Oggob and Hellfire, I`ll try to help.

Every time you pass over ten speed up pads your multiplier increases. First ten pads take you to x1, then the next ten increase your multiplier by x2, then x3, x4 and so on.

This if also affected by the fact that you also get a multplier increase for every perfect lap. First PL gives you x1, second x2, x3, and so on. For instance, if you were on x88 multiplier, and you did your first PL, the multiplier would increase to x89. If it was your second PL it would increase to x90, third to x91 and fourth to x92......

On Area 1 of zone you should be at x99 by zone 25/26 by getting constant PLs and hitting every pad.

The multiplier maxes out at x99, and after this the speed up pads don`t make much difference to your score. You get a small bonus and a slightly increased rate of scoring because you`re going faster, but if it makes you lose any shield points its definitely not worth it, because your zone bonuses are affected by your shield energy level, and the zone bonuses are the biggest scorers, especially on the long courses.

On your second question....The airbrakes don`t slow you down much, if at all, in zone, but they`re by far the best way to steer left/right when on straights or lining up for corners. I don`t think you should ever use the d-pad or the stick on straights, unless below zone 10 or needing to take very urgent action. The airbrakes in zone are basically for side to side steering, not slowing you down. They`re the only way to survive the loop on Florion Heights, and to turn sharply enough on corners at higher speeds.

I love zone by the way. Its very addictive, very intense, but not very good for the people who share a house with you :lol:

Spaceboy Gajo
11th February 2003, 07:01 AM
I honestly can't do it for the life of me. I over compensate way to early and I start breaking up. Perhaps I need some Red Bull :lol:

The only thing I really like about Zone is the design of the craft. She's a beaut!

spaceboy gajo :D