PDA

View Full Version : Modern Warfare 2 "No Russian" - The most controversial mission

MetaKraken
21st October 2010, 08:21 PM
I haven't looked at the threads about this mission from MW2, so I decided to post it about the "No Russian" mission that has sparked controversy.

For those who have played Modern Warfare 2 and has played this mission before (I did), it's the most controversial mission ever, and that it strayed off the main plot for this game. This mission would involve, obviously, terrorism. 'Nuff said. This would involve Makarov and his henchmen shooting thousands of innocent civilians and security officers before having to fend off against soldiers. With that said, it's recommended to not progress through the mission and skip it, which will not reward a penalty (unless you're willing to progress through it).

Though I'd show you what the No Russian mission from Modern Warfare 2 would look like (unless you have already saw this), I decide not to show a video about this mission.

mdhay
21st October 2010, 08:29 PM
it's a shame, because it let me blow off steam and is a bit redundant, for resons I'll hide in a similar colour as the post background:

When you're in the lift at the start (which is relatively small), you could eaily stop all this from happening by letting rip with the M240 you're given, killing everyone in the life possibly with the exception of you, and stop the whole game from taking place and stopping Shepherd from going on his crazy rampage. Also, there seems to be the rather big plothole that you don't even have to fire a single bullet and they (the russians) don't even look at CCTV footage (seeing as Makarov is a wanted criminal, they'd know what he looked like) or inspect the weapons left for barrel residue.

Naughty Infinity Ward. :naughty

Nutcase:259
21st October 2010, 09:09 PM
Id say its just shock tactic to hype the game, as the mission itself is pure bow-locks ;) they probs just leaked it themselves TBH,

also makes no sense as other russians terrorists are snuffed out with you too, so when they search an find like 3 russians and 1 american that really justifies the massive impromptue invasion???

probably best not to play FPS's for story, just watch all the shiny explosions and mash buttons when promted like me :D

mdhay
21st October 2010, 09:11 PM
You're the only one found.

Nutcase:259
21st October 2010, 09:14 PM
theres a bit by the airplanes where one of the russians is killed and whats his face says "leave him" i swear

mdhay
21st October 2010, 09:23 PM
Probably, I'm just fighting the temptation to put killzone on. :P

MetaKraken
21st October 2010, 09:26 PM
BTW, I think the reason why I don't want to post up a vid about No Russian mission 'cause it's deemed to be too violent, to tell you the truth.

Jav
22nd October 2010, 05:28 PM
Most overhyped thing ever. Seriously so exaggerated...

YouAreFubar
23rd October 2010, 08:56 PM
also makes no sense as other russians terrorists are snuffed out with you too, so when they search an find like 3 russians and 1 american that really justifies the massive impromptue invasion???

I think that was the point. The American general (I forget his name) wanted a war and worked with Makarov to achieve that. Thats how Makarov knew you were a plant, and why you also had to go for the general later on in the game.

A bit of a pointless mission nevertheless. I wouldnt say it was controversial myself, but it does seem that Infinity Ward set out to annoy people who are against violent video games.

Harvai
24th October 2010, 08:37 AM
Most overhyped thing ever. Seriously so exaggerated...

I agree with this. You could go through the entire level and not fire on a single civilian. I was thinking the game would force you to fire on innocents, but nope, you can save every bullet for the (very awful) M240 for the riot police that head your way.

I've had bigger civillian killing sprees in the Grand Theft Auto games...

Darkdrium777
24th October 2010, 09:43 AM
It's a little late to talk about this now no? Like about a year? The new Call of Duty will come out soon.
I watched this thing once and the situation seemed so surreal to me that it seemed almost comical that the game was taking itself so seriously. WATCH OUT THIS IS SHOCKING AND STUFF YEAH.
It's the Transformers of the video games and obviously it had to have controversy to make more publicity for the game. Heh, I guess that kinda worked.

rdmx
25th October 2010, 01:24 PM
The fact that you don't even see makarov at all in the rest of the story and that the next level has you storming a clearly 'evil' favela + the countless more russian soldiers you slay throughout the campaign betrays the fact that the scene was purely done for shock value.
That said, it accomplished its job - it got people to stand up and take notice.