PDA

View Full Version : New wipeout game in production?

brainbeat
19th October 2010, 09:15 PM
If you look at studio liverpool jobs section a new job got posted yesterday.:P
Thanks to cheesesee for the tip
http://www.playstationjobs.co.uk/jobs/all-vacancies/salaryid/0/rateid/0/Locations/0/Departments/0/jobtype/0/keyword/

Look for senior designer notice futuristic racing franchise.
Sorry if old lol

Could be rollcage. Hopefully built with 3D In mind 720p 60fps 3d pls

SaturnReturn
19th October 2010, 09:30 PM
Looks interesting. Though I still won't get my hopes up yet. The way the world is at the moment anything could be canned in an instant. It's a bit odd how it doesn't mention the futuristic racing franchise in the main job article, only the initial blurb.

Well whatever it means, it's a very good find there brainbeat.

Nutcase:259
19th October 2010, 10:01 PM
"High profile futuristic racing franchise "

eeeeeeek, cant help getting hopes up

Must... Reagain......... Com...posure!

Curse you dangling this small scrap of hope infront of us :P :lol

ONlock
20th October 2010, 12:16 AM
Wow, that's a good find!

Please let it be WipEout! :rock

JABBERJAW
20th October 2010, 12:25 AM
Nick Burcombe, please step foward to the front of the line :)

Darkdrium777
20th October 2010, 12:37 AM
High profile futuristic racing.

Is Rollcage high profile enough? Don't get me wrong I love Rollcage as well as WipEout but between the two I think it's more WipEout.
And doesn't Rollcage belong to Take 2 anyways?
Interesting anyways, thank you. A shiny star at the end of the tunnel.

yeldar2097
20th October 2010, 08:36 AM
WipEout or Rollcage, either's good for me. But yah Dd I'd say WO probs takes the win Vs. Rollcage.

Having said that if this actually happens I will make a WO-based hat, then eat it. Here's to going hungry! :beer

stin
20th October 2010, 08:41 AM
If it`s Wipeout?, then hopefully less BR or NO BR at all compares to HD!:|

stevie:)

icarasDragon
20th October 2010, 10:37 AM
I think they should just keep the BR Off/On feature from HD/FURY, just make it available in campaign as a pre-set option (again, another option to use would be to use preset BR ON/OFF switches or customize before entering the campaign) or let it be an option pre-race

akirapill
20th October 2010, 12:24 PM
It'll probably be for the PSP2 which has been released to some developers.

0L4F
20th October 2010, 12:45 PM
WipEout developer Sony Liverpool's is after a senior designer to work on a "high profile, futuristic racing franchise". Whatever could that be?

Check out the index blurb for the job advert here (http://www.playstationjobs.co.uk/jobs/all-vacancies/salaryid/0/rateid/0/Locations/0/Departments/0/jobtype/0/keyword/), before it's pulled.

The post suggests Sony Liverpool's working on something WipEout related. Could it be more DLC for the excellent WipEout HD: Fury? Or perhaps a new game entirely? Or maybe, just maybe, something for the PSP2?

_________

As posted on Eurogamer.net (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-20-sony-hiring-for-futuristic-racer).

kanar
20th October 2010, 12:58 PM
:rock:rockProbably a new game, not a DLC. Hope they'll found a talented guy, as the former team was composed of true gods.

blackwiggle
20th October 2010, 01:17 PM
Well if it is a "High Profile Futuristic racing franchise" then it's quite possible it could be Wipeout.

I wouldn't call Motostorm futuristic, well not in it's present guise.

If it's a new Wipeout then why did Sony lay off a great number of long term SL design team members in Feb?
Colin Berry said that Sony had decided that there wasn't going to be another Wipeout after FURY, work on it was to stop.
This was decided on by reasoning that racing games popularity generally speaking goes in cycles.
Which apart from Wipeout tends to be true from what I've seen over the years

So is this going to end up the greatest own goal in game producing history, having to rehire staff to make a game that Sony canned less than 12 months ago?
Wouldn't surprise me, some truly dreadful decisions have been made by those in charge at Sony over the last few years.
If it does end up being Wipeout.
Are they going to be making a new Wipeout for launch of the PS4?
Or a more likely scenario.
Are they going to be making a port of HD/FURY for the PSP2?

Time will tell.
I'm not going to get my hopes up

Sieghardt
20th October 2010, 01:23 PM
I believe Cold Storage said he was working on tracks for a PS3 game so I'd assume this is it?

mdhay
20th October 2010, 01:46 PM
I'm having that job, nobody else, K? :twisted :g

abukii
20th October 2010, 01:47 PM
That is just plain AWESOME!!!

lunar
20th October 2010, 02:34 PM
Good find. And I hope Stevie is right. Barrel rolls are like smoking, the only way to cut down is to quit completely ;)

But whatever happens, I think it`s probably too soon for the getting up of hopes over this, and too late to stop that happening :)

yeldar2097
20th October 2010, 06:16 PM
Too late to abolish BRs as well I hope :beer

Actually to be fair if it was nice and 2097-esque I wouldn't really mind at all. Get back into the whole "Oh cock how do I land this thing smoothly without losing any time" thing an all that :)

amplificated
20th October 2010, 07:30 PM
Unless they're developing something from the ground up for the PS4, I'm hoping this will be another expansion to WOHD. The base game is so solid, more content would be great. Maybe a few different styles of tracks.

Also: Long Live The Barrel Roll! \m/! :lol

After playing the original WO, I'd have to say I'm not a fan of the floatiness in comparison to HD, so I personally hope they don't go that route with any new game.

Nutcase:259
20th October 2010, 09:18 PM
Cant imagine it would be for a new playstation, as theyve only just rebranded the ps3 for slimline so bringing a new so early into this would be a bit sily on sonys part, they still need to milk the ps3 for all its 3D blu ray tech.

PSP2 could be likly though perhaps?

DawnFireDragoon
20th October 2010, 10:48 PM
Just read about this, and my first thought was to come to the Zone and check out what people thought!!!

potentially awesome news. I'm hopeful of a full console WipEout myself.

brainbeat
20th October 2010, 11:56 PM
look now description changed, futuristic could have meant motorstorm apocolypse :( , (wens release window for it?)
also hit the mainstream
http://www.1up.com/news/sony-liverpool-hiring-wipeout-game
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-20-sony-hiring-for-futuristic-racer
look at comments for 2nd link read the comment on edge games, may be random lol, didnt know they were still about but racers game defo futuristic

ONlock
21st October 2010, 12:06 AM
I just hope for something WipEout related. If it's a new game,
or another add-on to WOHD, It doesn't really matter to me.

I agree with amplificated. The latest game really is a solid game,
and building more on that, adding maps, game modes - just stuff in
general, won't bother me, even if a brand new game would be the
most awesome thing that could happen!

Who doesn't want to see "Blue Ridge", or "Arc Prime" f.ex. in HD? :D

blackwiggle
21st October 2010, 04:33 AM
I grabbed a screen shot of the full job description before they changed it.
Actually the only thing that has been changed as far as I can tell is from the initial smaller ad where the word "Futuristic" has been removed.
It does lend itself to make you think that this position is for making a full console game.

The PS3 is starting to show it's limitations graphically with the latest games FFXIII, Enslaved are two examples where it's had problems keeping up.
And the new slims were brought out for two reasons,firstly to get the price down and secondly to hopefully fix the problem of peoples consoles dying on them like the Fat PS3's.
They couldn't really be called a technical advancement, so I don't think it is that far fetched to think a PS4 has been on the drawing board at least.

Now that Sony is starting to show a profit again from the Playstation it might want to get the jump on Microsoft and bring forward the PS4's release.

Rotational_aspect
21st October 2010, 09:07 AM
I want a new WO- make it happen Sony, I dont want Motorstorm.

Slightly off topic:

I cant see a PS4 being released soon for many reasons:

1: People may not have enough cash for a new console- the PS3 new was £400.

2: People may be wary of console reliability- as each generation passes more and more problems arise.

3: Its only really now the PS3 has become a mature product worth buying- at launch it was rubbish (bar WO), now it has several rental utilities, tv catchup channels (PlayTV) and games that I want to buy- plus I can stream my media using PS3 media Player.

4: What will a PS4 bring value wise? Better graphics for sure but what else? 3D gaming? 3D TVs are not selling (since no-one has £2000 plus £150 for glasses)- better storage? DIY a new HDD. DLNA? etc.

5: Programmers are getting lazy- the PS2 did graphics on a par with early PS3 stuff but more and more they rely on new hardware (OK, more of a pop at PC game programmers).

The PS3 is a good Blu Ray player, OK browser and (did/ does) do Linux if you are living in the 3.15 era or are naughty and have a dongle. With these features I cant see Sony releasing anything soon- and they have only just started making a profit on a feature packed machine that is well set for the future.

But a 3D, 2560×1600 WQXGA 60 plus Detonator match on a PS4 does sound tempting.....:twisted

Sch@dows
21st October 2010, 10:26 AM
Job description may have changed because I can only see an offer for "an experienced and upbeat Senior Designer to work with a talented and experienced team on a high profile racing franchise."
Not futuristic anymore.

Well, despite that little change, I think it will be wipeout (it's too late to get a senior designer for MotorStorm3).

But since SL wipeout team has been disbanded earlier this year, I don't expect anything for PS3.
Wipeout Pure was a stunning line up title for PSP, so I think it will probably in order to develop a stunning line up title for PSP2.

Challenger #001
21st October 2010, 12:45 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is not gonna be WipEout. Nor is it even something for the PS4. My main reasons are as follows:

1) Motorstorm: Apocalypse needs a -lot- of work. I played the Alpha release at Eurogamer Expo, and I think it needs a bit of retooling. They're still developing it, given that the words 'Alpha Release' were in the corner throughout my playing, and if Sony wants to care for one of its' franchises, it'd be the one that's been with it since the release of the PS3.

2) WipEout is a pretty old game, lets' be honest. Coming up on its' third year... now why on earth would they release DLC for that old a game unless the userbase is big enough to warrant a good recall of money? As much as I would pay for it, and I'm sure anyone on these forums would, I don't know if the three hundred of us + however many yappy venom eliminator players there are would really constitute enough to make it up unless it's a high price.

3) Sony's just released the Move. That is a massive technological update, which I personally hate (think it's all dodgy) and provided support for 3D systems. Why would it be releasing a PS4 now, when it's sunk so much money into an existing console already? If the PS4 flounders, it'd be curtains for Sony. Yes, the 360 is showing better graphics right now, but is that really that big a reason to release a brand new console? Especially when you can boast your own motion control system and 3D support?

So I'm sorry guys, I don't buy it. They're looking for someone for Motorstorm: Apocalypse.

Sch@dows
21st October 2010, 12:53 PM
That's a senior designer job offer. Why whould they need someone like that now for MotorStorm Apocalyspe ? Isn't it a bit late for gathering a team of designers ? At least if they still plan to release the game in 2011.

Moreover, the job offer is for Studio Liverpool, not Evolution Studios and since the wipeout team is no more, with it's resources split accross the Sony Worldwide Studios (Liverpool, Evolution Studios, bigBIG Studios) ... I think it makes more sense.

But I agree that no new WipEout will be developed for PS3

Colonel
21st October 2010, 01:10 PM
I like to think Sony are pushing the whole 3D thing, wanting to shift tonnes of 3D TVs and PS3s with a raft of new games, including Wipeout 3D ™. I'm probably somewhat deluded there, but it keeps me happy.

blackwiggle
21st October 2010, 01:30 PM
What's to stop Sony bringing out a PS4 and still producing the PS3?
It's still producing the PS2.

The PS4 is inevitable, it will get sales just through console envy despite whatever price they ask for it.
Your selling to a market that's very essence is entirely based on competition.

When it will appear is the question.
I don't think it will be that far off, it was earmarked for 2012 from what I remember reading.
Hopefully Sony will have learnt from it's design & marketing mistakes with the PS3, and not repeat them with the PS4.
Sony used to be on the ball until about 5 years ago, that's when things went off track, they are just starting to get things right again.

As for 3D TV not taking off.
HA!, just wait, you won't be able to buy a non 3D TV soon unless you want a uber cheap TV for a spare room.
They are already not that much more expensive than solely 2D TV's which are slowly being faded out of production.
You choose if you want to switch in the 3D effect remember, it's not forced upon you.
You can also choose to buy the glasses/receiver or not, you can do that later, the price of the SONY add-on receiver and 2 pairs of glasses is around the price of 7 Blueray Disc's.
Not what I would call expensive.

RJ O'Connell
21st October 2010, 02:14 PM
Now hang on for a healthy dose of unhealthy optimism...the line was almost certainly changed after the news outlets first picked up on the story. After all, the keywords "Studio Liverpool", "racing game" and "futuristic" would almost guarantee that they are working on a new Wipeout game - in the same way that "Namco" and "space shooter" would indicate that they're making a new Galaga.

Stuff like that gets edited or taken down frequently especially if it reveals a project that the company isn't quite ready to take public yet.

If it is a new Wipeout game, great (I've always got ideas ;) ). If not, hey, I've got eight other Wipeout games I could keep playing instead.

DreamyElf
21st October 2010, 05:56 PM
My guess is that is for a new wipeout for PSP2.
Sony will probably announce PSP2 on E3 '11 since PSP is almost dead.
PSP GO was never supported and since Nintendo announced 3DS, Sony won't be late to announce a PSP2, probably with touch screen, 3D support and graphics on almost the same level as PS3.
In short something like PSP compared to PS2 back in 2005...
Just theories here by me though.
Anyway, anything wipeout related is more than welcomed by everyone here i suppose... :)

Sony please get back to the good old-days and support your fan base, don't ignore them, give them what they want!

Rotational_aspect
21st October 2010, 07:43 PM
As for 3D TV not taking off.
HA!, just wait, you won't be able to buy a non 3D TV soon unless you want a uber cheap TV for a spare room.
They are already not that much more expensive than solely 2D TV's which are slowly being faded out of production.
You choose if you want to switch in the 3D effect remember, it's not forced upon you.
You can also choose to buy the glasses/receiver or not, you can do that later, the price of the SONY add-on receiver and 2 pairs of glasses is around the price of 7 Blueray Disc's.
Not what I would call expensive.

I dont know what sales are like in Oz but in Europe sales of 3d TVs are very sluggish- most people have already bought high end sets (I myself have a 1 yr old 50 in plasma). People will not dump such hardware in a hurry, may be in 5-10 years or so, which makes 3D a big gamble and a toy for the vast minority. This opinion is based on a friend that works in a high end TV shop-in the UK 3D is very much a fad, the real sellers are Intenet ready (i.e. streaming) TVs. And another problem is no-one has money to buy all this gear in a recession, £1000 pounds is a lot (not accounting for the decoder, glasses etc that push the price up).

3D may be inevitable, but the market is fragmented- no 3d tv glasses are compatible with another, 3D 'ready' v built in is another issue that confuses people plus there are many 'standards' of 3D that fry consumers brains. 3D may become sidelined like the Minidisc or Laserdisc- its only now HD has really taken hold and thats been years in the making.

In games, although it is a player choice, 3D is a real system hogger that really diverts development time and energy- I would much prefer 30+ ships at 2D 1080p than 10 in 3D. I just hope the 3D TV user has to compromise and not the 2D player.

Anyway- Wipeout! I do hope the new WO is either a logical extension of WO3 (i.e. high end design/ typography) or WO Fusion (something new to the mix). (And not on the PSP2- I dislike small screens with fast recing games).

mikrucio
21st October 2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah guys im with all the ones saying its for the psp2.
That sounds about right.

A Ps4 is still 4+ years away.
and there is no reason to make another ps3 game.

amplificated
21st October 2010, 09:40 PM
I don't think that a new game being started on this year would be too early for a PS4 release, as the next wave of consoles are likely to come out in 2012. That's only 2 years, tops, of dev time if it were released on the PS4's launch.

@ Rotational Aspect: I think BW's point is that at least to manufacturers, "3D TV" is just jargon for "the new standard". Even if sales are sluggish, soon enough people won't even be able to purchase a TV incapable of 3D. Not just Aus, or Europe - anywhere. Except maybe North Korea.
Also, the actual expense of a 3D TV is no greater than any other new TV apart from the required accessories.

Anyway, I won't go into detail on the things I think you have mistaken regarding 3D, since in any case this 3D talk is beside the point of a new WO game. As far as I'm concerned, 3D is insignificant, mainstream, doesn't cost much if anything to developers, etc. When there is a new WO game on a home console, 3D will be there.

RJ O'Connell
21st October 2010, 09:45 PM
Yeah guys im with all the ones saying its for the psp2.
That sounds about right.

A Ps4 is still 4+ years away.
and there is no reason to make another ps3 game.

There wasn't really a reason to make a second PSP Wipeout (Pulse), aside from adding true online multiplayer, and it happened anyway.

I'll take either a new PS3 or a PSP2 title. Doesn't matter to me. The important thing about this is that SL is far from dead and that they are working on something.

blackwiggle
22nd October 2010, 12:11 AM
3D TV sales in Aus have been pretty healthy.
I put that down to 3 things.
Harvey Norman is the biggest store for TV's Aus wide, he got the TV stations to do the worlds first live free to air 3D broadcasts of the "State of Origin" Rugby League series of games, his store & Samsung also sponsored this, so there was blanket advertising.
Then we had the world cup shortly after, again we had SBSTV show all the games that were shot in 3D go free to air on their own 3D channel, these were run on a permanent loop until the next game went live, then that replaced the last.

And thirdly, being very close to Asia we have over the years got a large Asian population, they like to have the newest technology [especially mobile phones], it's just what they tend to spend their money on.
I suppose you could say it replaces drinking which they don't seem to do that much, but is what the Anglo based community tend to spend there money on.:D

mikrucio
22nd October 2010, 08:11 AM
Guys Sony and MS have already stated that the usual 5 year console cycle is not going to be 5 years this time around. The PS3 still has HEAPS of life in it.
Dont expect a PS4 until 2013-14.

A psp2 game is highly likely.

Chill
23rd October 2010, 09:26 AM
It's been a while since I posted anything on here... Or played a lot of Wipeout for that matter (need a comfortable chair), I've been busy traveling around and working... Starting some classes up eventually and still need to keep in good physical condition, but even though I haven't been very available to Wipeout lately I hope that this continues... Wipeout is and will probably be for a long long time my number 1 racer... Wipeout HD is a masterpiece! (As well as all it's other prequals of course)... ;)

wipeout rocks
23rd October 2010, 09:43 AM
looks like this might get sl back and hopefully wipeout even better the old sl developers might come back

Kyonshi
23rd October 2010, 04:15 PM
Please, i don't give a flying **** about another WO on a PSP device. I'd say its a new WipEout game on the blue-prints. But jesus, i don't wanna have to buy a PSP to play it. If that's so, they need to release it later on the PS3. Its more than clear to all that the PS3 has much better sale than the late PSPGo...

mikrucio
24th October 2010, 11:24 PM
Indeed I don't see ANY reason why SL could not implement the new tracks into another expansion for wipeout hd. I mean it makes sense, all the new tracks they develop for the new game could easily be made hd and injected via the PSN. or even a new ship/track pack. Every who already has
Hd will no doubt buy it even for $30. Makes sense don't it

yeldar2097
24th October 2010, 11:48 PM
Not sure it'd be what the people (us) want though. HD is quite buggy (getting more and more so) and probs won't be fixed.

Better to start afresh methinks :)

mikrucio
24th October 2010, 11:57 PM
It's always easier to fix the bugs than to start afresh mate...
The few bugs left are very small.
I would hardly say it's "buggy"
Go play formula 1 2010 to get an accurate definition of buggy

SaturnReturn
25th October 2010, 12:06 AM
I'm with yeldar. It's not that there are millions of bugs, but the few that were there at the start partially got fixed, and then even more crept in. Also, all sorts of weird stuff happens online. The more laggy it gets, the more crazy stuff happens, e.g. falling through tracks, weird green zone ships on the start grid, two of the same player apparently in a game, bad weapons randomization. That stuff is mostly fairly rare but I do feel like in general they got worse as add-ons and updates came in, and not better, as they should have. The latest problem I've seen is the in-game select-button friend screen doesn't usually seem to work. It was probably one of the best new features introduced in an update and at first worked really well, but now it rarely shows all my friends and when it does it tells me they're doing things in the game that they're not. It's the way these things just seem to creep into the game for no apparent reason that makes it seem like there is just something inherent to the way the game is built that allows these errors to creep in, and also makes them difficult to fix, and therefore they'd probably be better starting over.

amplificated
25th October 2010, 01:07 AM
Not all the bugs are that bad... Syncopia SL ftw

I'd like a new game, but I don't think any benefits made would be substantially greater than what we have already should it be released on the PS3. I reckon making it for next gen is the best thing to do. With a new team, they'd be allowed some room for flexibility so they may come up with changes in terms of style and gameplay, but I still just don't think it's worth it for this gen. The bugs in WOHD are rare and even more rarely game-breaking. They'd be able to do a lot more with new hardware.

I also don't care about a PSP release, as I'm never going to get a handheld console, pretty much ever.

mikrucio
25th October 2010, 02:26 AM
Hmm that's funny coz iv been playing online for over a year now
And iv only just experienced a "buggy" race the other night for the first time.
Where I was 10 seconds behind the othe players in the race at the
Start of the race. I highly doubt the online bugs have anything to do
With the game, more so I think it's network stability across the globe,
Which manifest as "bugs".

blackwiggle
25th October 2010, 11:43 PM
If you read the job description you will see that whatever the new "Senior Designers" role is, it's following a game plan that is already somewhat established.

If you read some of the posts made by some of the now ex SL people from Feb you will see hints [ the history of SL/Psynosis threads] that another Wipeout was at least in a rudimentary stage of being designed, but then again you have posts by Colin Berry [who had left SL a few months before the axing's] saying that Sony had told SL that there was to be no more Wipeout after FURY, so I guess that's what stage any new game designs would of been stopped.

I'm kind of thinking this will be a totally new game, if there is one in the works that is, it's all conjecture anyway, not a HDifying of more old Pure/Pulse tracks.
If it will be compatible with HD/FURY who knows.
After seeing the difference between HD & FURY I suspect not, the game was seemingly heading in a new direction.

Why the turn around by Sony to resurrect a game they had basically killed a few months previously for all intended purposes is another matter.
It could of been the resurgence of interest in Wipeout with the Playstation + subscription.
Upon seeing that, Sony realized that there was still life in the franchise [probably much to the annoyance of the fool at I'm guessing SCEA that said it was a dead game].

Colonel
26th October 2010, 01:28 AM
Blackwiggle I really hope you're correct in that last paragraph.

Darkdrium777
26th October 2010, 02:08 AM
The differences between HD and Fury are purely aesthetics and only because the design team of HD wanted to make it different. It wasn't headed anywhere I do believe.
Now, they said they wanted to make more after Fury but they didn't get the chance. More after Fury could mean another expansion - More likely as the base game is so solid - or a full retail WipEout title on PS3 -Possible since they already have the tech, they would just make art; but improbable because WipEout HD probably sold barely to break even since it's not immensely popular and it costs more to make a disc game.
And then there's something I can't tell about the PSP games... So this new thing could be for PSP2 also, it would not be surprising because WipEout PurE was a good launch title for PSP.

blackwiggle
27th October 2010, 02:33 PM
Well I've been playing Wipeout since year dot and I never picked a "Detonator or Zone Battle mode" as a possibility being included in FURY.
Did you honestly?
That's what I mean by Wipeout taking a new direction that the people designing the game want to include, not what this fan site request/deem as mandatory.
Who knows what might be the next "MODE", I sure as hell don't.

It might be a complete failure as modes go, but I understand Wipeout cannot rest on it laurels, if it could then it would be far more successful than it is, mind you total lack of promotion hasn't helped.
Any new Wipeout would almost certainly be better than none, but I do reserve the word "ALMOST", as a BAD WIPEOUT would do far more damage than none at all IMHO

kanar
27th October 2010, 05:15 PM
psp2 or ps3, I'm sure this new wipeout will be ace. Can you imagine Zico Liu programming crappy stuff Blackwiggle ? I can't lol. And the major part of the crew is still part of SL. I just hope they'll correctly advertise this new game this time, as I believe the main reasons hd didn't reach its sales objectives are no marketing at all, no bluray in the first year, and finally no community support like official online tournaments and so on.

Darkdrium777
27th October 2010, 05:46 PM
Well I've been playing Wipeout since year dot and I never picked a "Detonator or Zone Battle mode" as a possibility being included in FURY.
Did you honestly?Well Zone Battle was fan service, some people on here wanted multiplayer Zone mode with the graphics effects I think it's kind of cool that they actually pulled it off. Eliminator was also requested a lot, the only new thing is Detonator that nobody expected, and I don't think it's taking the game in a new direction really... I mean for years there has been races, time trials, tournaments, eliminator, zones, speed lap, and now Detonator. I think it flows straight in a single line...

Laeke
27th October 2010, 06:08 PM
I think blackwiggle has sort of a point though. In another subject we ponder why the WO series is not (or no longer) widely popular and it has been put forward that WO is an old-fashioned type of game in many ways. I'm not sure how the WO formula can really be upgraded further at this point in a meaningful way (not just a graphics update, new tracks or more ships...) without addind some bold new elements in the game.

Then again, this is not my job or anything and SL proved they had a few ideas up their sleeves that are right in line with WO as a whole but new nonetheless (Zone, etc...). I guess you could also add some proper endurance races or something...

But perhaps a future WO title would be "more of the same with some tweakings". I'm sure nobody here would mind that and since Sony seems to view WO as a niche property with very specific uses, that's the most sensible (and economic) way to handle things for them.

But there's also the possibility that the franchise is (or is viewed as) getting kind of stale and may just be discontinued. I think there is quite a few popular franchises that just... well... died, despite being big things on the PSX. A lot of VG franchises are just exhausted at some point and while WO has not been milked as badly as some other IPs, 8 games (I count HD+Fury as 1) is a pretty respectable count.

However, I'm not sure fans would be too pleased with a radical revision of franchise nor that Sony is really willing to put the money and effort into it (they really have other fishes to fry and quite a few new IPs to care about: Motorstorm/Resistance/Uncharted/inFamous for instance, all very recent and with potential).
Up to this point, the only "hip" feature I could see an use for is some sort of external customisation for the ships.

Yeah, kind of a downer message.

Dark_Phantom_89
27th October 2010, 10:20 PM
I see that the almighty Colin Berry is online now. Maybe he can give us an insight into this?

Darkdrium777
28th October 2010, 09:03 AM
Probably not, he's at Bizzare Creations now.

Sausehuhn
28th October 2010, 09:29 AM
There’s still big potential in a proper online mode. With tournaments and such. But I agree. The game could rather go back to the basics than add dozens of new features that just don’t fit (thankfully that hasn’t happend yet!).
We’ll see anyway. Maybe they’re working on something totally different and give WipEout a pause. As long as it’s not totally dead, I’m happy ;)

Szei
29th October 2010, 12:18 PM
Hey Sony. If you make a new WipEout I'll buy a PS3.

I actually came to these forums because I found this article http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/20/wipeout-dev-seeks-designer-with-racing-game-experience/

But since I used the search function I didn't make a duplicate topic =D

Glad to see this community is still alive. Let's keep hoping!

Kyonshi
2nd November 2010, 01:12 AM
I dont get why some people might think there's no more creative potential for a new WO title...

One of the main issue reviews gave WOHD was the fact that no new tracks were introduced, that the game was recycled into bolder graphics and animation. How about making completely new tracks then? It would be the time to present spectacular track design, that would be a strong start. Nothing too crazy, but surely:

- Loops
- Interacting environment: i could see a Spilskinanke-inspired track with shifting parts
- Couples of short cuts or alternate routes.
- Multi-level areas, perhaps like the AP over-pass, but without any obvious advantage like tons of speed pads.
- Interlacing areas, like on Vostok Island and SilverStream

And then:
- Weapon pads turning into Speed pads when the Item has been taken, to maintain challenge
- New teams and/or reintroduction of Tigron Enterprises and Van-Uber.
- Elaborated and refined tools for custom ship skins - PLEASE.
- "Eliminator" mode now involving kick-out last position pilots every lap.
- Specific "Weapon Only" mode, like Cannons, Rockets, Turbos, etc.
- Timed Endurance and Survival Mode.
- Completely new soundtrack, along with maintaining custom playlist. WO games always have been a powerful promotion tool for electronic music artists, its a well-known fact.

The WO universe always laid the path for immense creative possibilities. Its far from being a dead-end for the franchise. With the introduction of 3D features, there's still a lot of flesh around the bones to get. And this time, if SCEE/SCEA officials use their brain cells, they'll put up the proper marketing campaign to promote this awesome, new chapter. Advertising should be implemented WITHIN the game, in a visible manner but not overwhelming. Just like in wipE'ouT" (Red Bull). You know have extra revenue to maintain the franchise aflot.

Believe me, if $ony perceives the possibility of a hint of augmenting the profits, they will develop it to a considerable level.

JABBERJAW
2nd November 2010, 03:28 AM
new game, old physics

or

same game, old physics

would be happy with either here. at least get rid of sideshift and put wipeout physics back to where they belong, and either fix the barrel roll or get rid of it. Motion blur does not mean speed, and it also makes the game look worse. Actually either give it the speed of the older games(pure/pulse), so it matters, or get rid of it altogether (I am for this one), or limit it to one per lap, but a good burst of speed so you need to use it in the best place.

To be honest, I would be happiest if they just got rid of sideshift, that is just not wipeout at all.

Oh, and make not hitting mean something, maybe a small increase in speed for every 10 seconds you don't touch a wall, then perfect laps would mean something, I have seen lots of youtube records where the wall is blasted into, but sideshifted off and still got a record.

amplificated
2nd November 2010, 06:53 AM
Commercials were a terrible idea, but something integrated into the track - such as a bridge you go under, designed by an ad agency for a product such as Red Bull, could work out well and even help give individual flavour to the track the landmark is featured in.

Szei
2nd November 2010, 07:04 AM
There’s still big potential in a proper online mode. With tournaments and such. But I agree. The game could rather go back to the basics than add dozens of new features that just don’t fit (thankfully that hasn’t happend yet!).
We’ll see anyway. Maybe they’re working on something totally different and give WipEout a pause. As long as it’s not totally dead, I’m happy ;)

Yes. An online tournament mode would be great. kanar's suggestions are also good. New tracks, teams. Last place person in eliminator is eliminated. But mostly just new teams and tracks and a focus on competitive multiplayer is what I want.

Colin Berry
3rd November 2010, 09:35 PM
I know nothing
But I am intrigued
:)

F.E.I.S.A.R
4th November 2010, 12:36 AM
What baffles me slightly about the WipEout series since 3 was a totally different Eliminator. In other racing games with Lap Knockout(other Racing game's eliminator),last place at end of each lap is out.
Since Eliminator is taken for the score based destruction mode,will the Lap KO mode just be called Lap Knockout or will ut be something else? And if there is such a mode,will there be 12 on the grid or the standard 8? 7 lap Lap Knockout seems like speed lap with weapons,but 11 laps,I don't know what others may feel.