PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite games of all-time (except WipEout)

DreamyElf
19th October 2010, 06:43 PM
I thought it would be interesting to make a thread in which the zoners will post their favourite games of all-time, except wipeout of course which its obvious one. ;)
You can post any game, from retro (like pac-man, tetris, etc) to modern games (like Uncharted, Call of duty, etc).
You can name as many games as you like. :)

These are my fav games:

1) Final Fantasy X (PS2)
2) Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
3) Gran Turismo (PSone)
4) Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Master System)
5) Metal Gear Solid (PSone)
6) ISS Pro '98 (PSone)
7) Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
8 ) Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
9) Super Mario Bros (GB)
10) Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
11) Bubble Bobble (Sega Master System)
12) Medievil (PSone)
13) Football Manager series (PC)
14) Okami (PS2)
15) Colin McRae Rally (PSone)
16) Devil May Cry 3 (PS2)
17) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PSone)
18 ) Burnout: Legends (PSP)
19) Call of Duty 4 (PC)
20) Ico (PS2)
21) Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3)
22) Uncharted 2 (PS3)
23) Assassin's Creed 2 (PS2)
24) Point Blank (Arcade / PSone)
25) TES IV: Oblivion (PC)

Edit: i was planning to add a poll but i decided not to do it as the options would have been very limited...
i've also made an update to my list and added some games i forgot. :)

Nutcase:259
19th October 2010, 06:54 PM
Favourite game sof all time? hmm let me think... :g

Metal gear solid 2 (love that the most of all the games. completed it god knows how many times)

Metal gear Solid 1 (sadly me and one of my best friends can recite the script to that game almost near perfect, sitting on the bus he can turn around and go "a hind D?!? and ill know what he means :lol and used to pretend we were solid snake and co in the playground at juniors school LOL (was about 8 ;) ), should i be so forthcoming with such embarassing information?)
Metal Gear Solid 4 (not the best but its MGS so it gets in here, plus i got so good with the CQC on Metal Gear Online that my friends refuse to play me on it :lol)
Metal Gear solid 3 (notice a theme? :lol)

A game on Ps1 called Hogs of War. incredible, pigs fighting! epic!
and a game i got when i got my Ps2 called Fur Fighters: Viggos Revenge, dont think many people have heard of it but it was awsome, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fur_Fighters

maybe Smackdown 2 on ps1. i might have been like 10 when wrestling was 'cool' and played an absolute ton of seasons. (can still do the people eyebrow :lol)

ahh and a Pc game called Tropico, like sim city except your a dictator of a tropical island during the height of the cold war. :D

i might add more as i think of more

ahh i forgot War of the Monsters on PS2, absolutely badass. picking up petrol tankers and smashing up buildings
and maybe TOCA 2 on PS1. got to race as Rickard Rydel, my all time fav touring car racer in the volvo s40? (volvos arnt uncool, there awesome. 1998 British Touring Car Champions ill have you know ;) )

Mr Phlanj
19th October 2010, 07:28 PM
not in any order apart from the #1 spot :D

#1 Legacy of Kain (all 5 of them). I have never known a game with such amazing characters and its got some of the best dialog i have ever heard in a game.

#2 Fallout (1&2). Its soo funny and its a game with soo much freedom with alot to do and see, also its the only game (apart from baulders gate2) where i will start again just to make a new character.

#3 Silent Hill. some of the sieries is rubbish but (mainly 1&2) they are also some of the most frighterning games out there.

#4 Deus Ex (1). simply because it was the first FPS/RPG I ever played and i think they did it just right.

#5 Zelda: A link to the past.

#6 Final Fantasy X. I rate 7 as my least favourite FF game but at least one FF had to be here.

I could keep going but ill end up with a top 100 so ill stop at 6 :D

OBH
19th October 2010, 08:46 PM
Favourite of all time..... tough question, but here goes!

1. Leagacy of Kain (PS2)
2. Suikoden II (PS2)
3. Company of Heroes (PC)
4. Battlefield 2 (PC)
5. Rock'n'Roll Racing (SNES)
6. Mario Kart Double Dash (Gamecube)
7. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (PS2)
8. Deus Ex (PC)
9. Fallout 2 (PC)
10. Medieval 2 Total War (PC)

Annoyingly I missed out some true console multiplayer classics from my childhood, but i think this list is fair.

UB3R~JKP
19th October 2010, 08:57 PM
1. Sega Rally 1995 - Undisputed king of rallying games, multiplayer, arcade and home memories have stickedn with me forever
2. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - King of platforming games
3. Gran Turismo 3 - Known as the best of the series for me by combining realism with a balanced element of fun, true racing game king overall
4. Rumble Racing on PS2 - I can't think of a PS2 game I had as much laughs on as this to be honest! Legendary game
5. Kingdom Hearts (Original) - Fantastic game even though I despise over-rated fantasy. Man, so great storyline and gameplay!
6.Gain Ground (Mega Drive) - I had the pleasure of playing this game for the first time, only a few years ago...gutted I missed out when I was young
7. NHL09 - The true king of sports games as much as I hate to say it with being a PES player. Defined the new generation of consoles for sporting games and NOTHING has came close to it's levels of innovation

Too many more to mention!

Kyonshi
20th October 2010, 12:33 AM
- Shining Force, Sega Genesis. A true masterpiece of strategy RPG. I loved the Class Promotion. Can't count how many times i finished it completely, with all secret characters. My first lover in RPGs.
- Rez, PS2. Another hidden gem. Best electronic soundtrack ever. Yes i dare. Japanese techno at its best. SEGA, WHAT-THE-**** are you waiting guys to make a sequel???!??!?
- Silent Hill, PS1. By far, one of the best survival horror game ever. Kicked the ass of RE series, and we all know Capcom deserved it. I'm still scared shitless playing it.
- FFVII, PS1. No explanations needed here :)
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Timeless classic and masterpiece. The best Castlevania ever, who knew side-scrolling RPG could actually kick so much ass back in that time?
- Complete GTA series, multi-platform. All the ****ing lot, yep.
- InFamous, PS3. One of the best action hero game brought to life in the current generation consoles.
- King's Field II, PS1. THE ultimate, first-person RPG experience one could ever live. If you thought Demon's Souls is hard, you should retract and play this one. LOVE the atmosphere, the weapons, the magic, the mobs. I would pay a lot to be able to play this again, or to have it as PSOne Classic DLC.
- Jackal, NES. God i played this game when i was a kid. When i finally got to the end boss (who beat me to a pulp in an instant:lol), i felt i've became a man! xD Totally awesome gameplay for that time, like Konami still knows how to do it.
- Fallout 3, PS3. Damn, this game was made for me. Im such a post-apocalyptic adventure lover, i am its best fan. I will never ever get tired of this masterpiece of a game. I longed so much for a 3D, 1st person urban RPG, i'm in heaven playing this.
- SAMURAI SHODOWN II, Neo-Geo/Arcade. Ok, THIS is the best fighter with weapons EVER. Shut the hell up people, THIS IS THE BEST. Best gameplay, best fighting mechanics, best characters, best atmosphere, awesome Power moves. Jesus, i could go on ever and ever. I got this game on my PC, via emulation. There is a God guys. I better not count how much money i spent in the arcade machine 15 years ago... Oh and before i leave, GO-****-YOURSELF Killer Instinct. Crappiest fighter ever, ever, ever.

Thats it for now, gonna come back when i remember other titles :P

MetaKraken
20th October 2010, 01:41 AM
Let's see...

1)GTA IV/EoLC
2)Modern Warfare 2
3)Killzone 2
4)ModNation Racers
5)Just Cause 2

All for the PS3 :).

Darkdrium777
20th October 2010, 02:11 AM
Well this is gonna be old list tiem for me (mostly.)

Rollcage / Rollcage Stage II
Vigilante 8 2nd Offense
Unreal Tournament
Monster Hunter - online (The very first one on PS2)
Resistance Fall of Man - online
Borderlands

These I really love, I can play them right now and still love them just as much.

And that's pretty much it. Games I played the **** out of (excluding WipEout PurE, Pulse and HD.)

Kyonshi
20th October 2010, 03:56 AM
Vigilante V8: 2nd Offense!!! Damn straight, i totally loved this game!!! Powerful weapons that really gave you the feeling of heavy bashing someone! Loved the flying-mod, was a great feeling. Maps were so great as well. How come we don't have another game like that now... And before anyone reply with this, Twisted Metal didn't, doesn't and will never equal the awesomness on Vigilante V8! :D

Darkdrium777
20th October 2010, 03:59 AM
I wish I could figure out how to do split-screen online on emulators just because this game is so awesome.

Dallas 13 online!

Woopzilla
20th October 2010, 04:56 AM
I'm really bad at putting numerical values/ranks to games... but here are some of the games that I remember fondly:

1. Secret of Mana (SNES) (aka Seiken Densetsu II) I really love this game... it really drew me in, and the music is incredibly beautiful such as the Title Music (Fear of the Heavens) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQChkLQV8_c) and the song 'A Wish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLK8IrYrZxA)'.

2. Silent Hill 1 (PS1) - This game is legendary. My friend bought the game but found it to be too scary, so it became mine! This game's ambient music still sends chills to my bones: Example 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRqEhWibJ9s), Example 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i5SlolDHW8), Example 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFRVlzfPwgc)

3. Silent Hill 2 (PS2) - Ok, now this really is one of the best games ever made. Entering the Historical Society and descending that long path hearing those noises just unnerves you like nothing else: video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tw0EUV5AFU#t=6m29s), but I suppose you need to actually play this game alone and in the dark to get the full effect.

Special mention of the hospital's third floor corridor music. That track makes me want to stop playing right then and there. It took me quite a bit of time to move on through that area: very creepy OST music link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyA0-HFNQ3g). Don't click it if you're currently sitting alone in the dark with headphones on... and no, it's not a jump-scare link, I just find the music to be scary. A friend joked that if you woke up in the middle of the night and then sat there in the dark listening to this for a few hours every day, you'd either develop new mental toughness or become a complete wreck.

3. Resident Evil 2 (PS1) - The music in this game is also amazing... and hey, I've just now noticed that I always seem to remember the music better than ingame moments: Police Station Hall Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7JECkVzuq0). The game does a brilliant job of keeping you on edge and giving you that lonely feeling... the ambient sounds you can hear whenever you exited the police station were quite haunting with all the distant groans.

For some reason I still find the cut-scene of Marvin turning into a zombie terrifying... I remember it scaring me sensless the first time I saw it.

4. Metal Gear Solid 1 (PS1) - Oh the hours of fun I had messing about. I'd always have a save just before inserting the final Cold Key Card, so that I could go back all the way to the Heliport packed with Nikita's/Stingers/FAMAS/etc... and all special items to have hours of fun messing about.

The codec conversations are also a classic and contain plenty of funny stuff.

5. Sim City 2000 (PC) - I loved building cities. Spent hours on this designing my perfect city.

6. GTA 1 (PS1) - What a classic. I remember playing this with a mate for so many hours at a time that we only ever stopped playing once the game froze.

infoxicated
20th October 2010, 10:32 AM
Aw, man, DreamyElf - you had to do this, didn't you?! :)

Makes me feel so old when I think of my top games ever, and I always miss something out, but I'll give it a try.

I'm going to have to work from the 90's onwards to keep it to ten, so Jet Set Willy and Tomahawk on the ZX Spectrum don't feature on the list, but I spent a monumental amount of time on them when I was a kid.

Sensible Soccer - Amiga
Another World - Amiga
Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix - Amiga
Gran Turismo 2 - PS1
Driver - PS1
Resident Evil 2 - PS1
TimeSplitters 2 - PS2
GTA San Andreas - PS2
God of War - PS2
Fallout 3 - PS3

Honourable mentions would have to go to Tomb Raider 2 on the PS1, GTA Vice City & Burnout 2 on the PS2, and Resistance: Fall of Man on the PS3.

Interesting that not a single PSP game could make it near my top ten, despite having really enjoyed some games on it. Possibly that's the difference between a full blown console and a portable - the experiences just seem deeper on a console.

It's also funny how some games are just that - games - fun, yet ultimately disposable, while some are so memorable that you can look back at them as way-points in your life. :)

gordo1974
20th October 2010, 11:27 AM
Suffering from an excess of age, a la Infoxicated :P, mine might be a little old school too.

In no particular order
1) Gran Turismo. (ahh trial mountain in a dodge viper)
2) Soul Blade. (The hours we spent on that, Mitzarugi (sp?) wins)
3) Fallout 3.
4) Total Annihilation.
5) Doom II. Yes I am that old.

eLhabib
20th October 2010, 12:21 PM
YAY!
Here's my list of games that have burned themselves into my memory:

10.) SoulBlade (Dreamcast)
9.) Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2)
8.) Pro Evolution Soccer 3 (PS2)
7.) Sonic the Hedgehog 123 (Genesis/MegaDrive)
6.) Steel Battalion (XBOX)
5.) Uncharted 2 (PS3)
4.) Guitar Hero (all of them)
3.) Super Street Fighter IV (PS3)
2.) Rock'n'Roll Racing (Genesis/MegaDrive). Yes, really.
and my favorite game of all time (so far): Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

yeldar2097
20th October 2010, 12:34 PM
Tekken 2
Gran Turismo
TimeSplitters 2
Goldeneye
Half-Life 2
Super Smash Bros Melee
Crash Bandicoot 2
Tomb Raider 2
Rock 'n' Roll Racing 2: Red Asphalt
Rollcage Stage II
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Yellow
Pokemon Gold

Lots of 2's in there now that I look at it... :g

OBH
20th October 2010, 12:37 PM
Another World - Amiga
What a classic.

Interesting that not a single PSP game could make it near my top ten
I was tempted to put the monster hunter series in mine. 400+ hours over multiple games should constitute a mention at least i think :)

Rock 'n' Roll Racing 2: Red Asphalt
Forget 2! eL knows the score putting the original in his list too!

Challenger #001
20th October 2010, 12:47 PM
I haven't really got into gaming for a few years, so mine might be a bit 'new-school'. ^^;

10 ) Mercenaries 2: World In Flames - Pandemic (PS3/360) - I never liked the idea of Grand Theft Auto myself, but when someone suggested I try 'GTA at war', I took up on it (it was easier to sell to my parents as well not being about gang crimes but trying to take out an evil dictatorship using heavy ordnance) and liked it a lot. Mercs 2 may have upped the tooniness, but they've fixed a lot of problems and this is a game I'm more than happy to return to and mess about in. ^^

9 ) Assassin's Creed - Ubisoft (PS3/360) - Yes, I know the story's weak, the gameplay is bugged a little and the missions repetitive... but the fact that the first time I rode into Damascus I had to slap my jaw so incredible was the view earns this a place in the top ten without the WipEouts. Leaping across the rooftops was fantastic fun as well, if lacking Yakety Sax in the background. ^^

8 ) Enthusia: Professional Racing - Konami (PS2) - With Playstation fanboys trumpeting GT4 loudly in my ear, and having liked GT3, I picked up Prologue only to be sorely dissapointed. None of the cars had any weight to them and I didn't like it at all. Searching for alternatives, I came across this rare gem. If you've got a wheel and a PS2, I strongly advise giving this a go. A world apart from GT, and in my opinion more rewarding.

7 ) Burnout: Paradise - Criteron (PS3/360) - Where to begin with Burnout? I got into it with 3 and found it a much more fun and high-octane alternative to NFS: Underground 2 (that's not to say I didn't like it at the time though), and getting Revenge was a no brainer. It was a toss up between Revenge and Paradise for the final say, but the open world, ability to choose a soundtrack, and online play simply makes Paradise all the juicier. I still play it from time to time.

6 ) Race Driver: GRiD - Codemasters (PS3/360) - Codies may be famous for the Colin McCrae series, but I'm going to go out a limb here and GRiD is about the best actual racing game with real cars. People claim it's too arcade-y, and I see where they come from, but I think it's a good mix between arcade and realistic driving, and I'd happily play this for hours on end.

5 ) Jak and Daxter 3 - Naughty Dog (PS2) - Y... yeah, I see how this looks. But you can't really be a PS2 nut without having enjoyed one of the platformers that made the system so good and I liked this out of the conglomeration of Sony's various fuzzy mascots the best, I'm unashamed to admit. I just wish I knew where the damned box was so I could give it another go.

4 ) Portal - Valve (PC, Mac, 360) - Who didn't like this game? As anyone knows, some of the most popular games are simply ones that need a bit of a thinking process behind them - hence the popularity of Angry Birds. Now combine the thinking with a polished first person shooter and one of the best storylines ever? Full points. Just wish it was longer...

3 ) Assassin's Creed 2 - Ubisoft (PS3, 360) - Everything it's predecessor was, but better. One of my favourite protagonists, a wonderful story, rich settings and even juicier ways to stab people in the neck. Brotherhood is coming out soon, so if you're undecided, get a bargain copy of this and go prancing through Renaissance Italy killing people. History has never been more fun... or has it?

2 ) Age Of Empires 2: The Conquerers - Microsoft (PC) - This was officially the game that started my love of computer gaming, and time hasn't dented it. Maybe nostalgia is why I don't like the new one as much despite a few improvements, but I love the fantasy/middle ages settings of historical stories, and being able to make my own worlds out of them never gets old. Plus, it's about the only game that'll run on this clapped out laptop I'm using after my nice one got stolen. Which is a shame because it means I can't play...

1 ) Half Life 2 - Valve (PC, Mac, 360) - Whatever anyone's told you about this game, it's probably true. Yes, the physics engine is beautiful and you can spend hours in the opening levels throwing melons about everyone's homes until you're flinging saw blades with a gravity gun. Yes, it took me 3 days to get through Ravenholm because I kept freaking out and needing to go sit down with a cup of tea. Yes, the graphics are good, level design is wonderful and it's a joy to play through (except maybe Level 8A...). Yes, it's probably one of the best games in existence, and certainly the best series. Sorry WipEout... even if you'd been allowed, I could only have put you second.

*waits for Rob's Banhammer...*

novide
20th October 2010, 12:59 PM
so many games buh...

Last Ninja - C64
International Karate - C64
Tomb Raider 2-4 - PS1
Tekken 3 - PS1
Forsakken - PS1
Rollcage - PS1
Final Fantasy X - PS2
Resident Evil 4 - PS2
GTA - San Andreas - PS2
Half-Life - PS2 / PS3
Uncharted 1 + 2
Fallout 3

and tomorrow will fallout - new vegas arrive :)

stin
20th October 2010, 01:23 PM
1, The Misadventures of Flink (Sega)

2, RollCage l&ll (PS1)

3, Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega)

4 Spyro the Dragon! (PS1)

5, Space Invaders! (Arcade)

6, Crash Team Racing (PS1)

7, Manic Miner (ZX Spectrum):redface:

8, Lemmings (SEGA)

9, Galaxy Invaders (Arcade) (I think)

stevie:)

Edit Quickly changed after mystery friend told me to change it:redface:

MetaKraken
20th October 2010, 01:49 PM
I used to play Vigilante 8 on the Dreamcast for as long as I could remember. Though however, I decided to sell this game, seeing as how I got newer Dreamcast games I've bought from the internet (well that I have to sell WWF Royal Rumble, 'cause it was deemed too easy), and I have to focus on buying Sonic Adventure 2 (and several Dreamcast games such as those of San Francisco Rush 2049 and another VMU) and I have finished buying all of the best Dreamcast games :).

blackwiggle
20th October 2010, 02:03 PM
1] FF VII PS1- still the most memorable and enjoyable time spent playing a game
2] Zelda Ocarina of Time N64 - HUGE,Classic RPG
3] F-Zero X - N64 - Not quite as good as Wipeout, but still very enjoyable
4] Banjo Kazooie N64 - Dumb fun
5] Sonic - Sega megadrive - THE Platform game personified
6] Metal Gear Solid - PS1- Just a well made game
7] G-Police - PS1- Although frustrating controls and the fact that I've never come close to finishing this game doesn't detract from the fact that it's a bloody good game, I'm just not good enough to finish it. :paperbag

8] Ico - PS2 - Short but beautiful, I do speed runs on this if I need to kill a few hours and don't want a mega gaming challenge.

9] Enslaved - PS3 - Great game, a few control issues [mainly control input lag]Looks amazing and the direction/ acting/voice overs are the best I've yet seen in any game, do yourself a favor and get this game.

10]Little Big Planet 2 - PS3 - I know it hasn't been released yet, but I've been playing the LBP2 beta for over a month now and this really is going to be the best game, and I might say lead to the making of some truly innovative LBP2 levels by people at home judging by what has been made by beta trial people in just a few weeks, it's a LOT more powerful and...well just a LOT better all round, a must get title.
{Expect to see business promos/ ad's etc using LBP2's Movie Mode where you can choreographer and dress Sackbots however you want, to do what you want, some amazing video clips are in being made as I type]

lunar
20th October 2010, 02:30 PM
10: Dead or Alive 3 (massive multiplayer laughs and, well, jiggliness)
9: Formula One 2003 (flawed and buggy game from SL, but I loved it)
8: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (not as great as the first, but multiplayer fun)
7: John Madden Football (can`t pick one out, but many weeks lost to this)
6: Colin Macrae Rally 2
5: Syndicate
4: NHL95
3: Toca2 (still the benchmark of console car racing sims - YES it is)
2: Micromachines 2
1: Sonic the Hedgehog 1

a lot of retro, but they really don`t make games like they used to ;)

Temet
20th October 2010, 02:54 PM
This a tough one mate. Let's see by chronological order...
1/ Blue Shadow on NES. Coop was great! I finished this game with my best friend dozens of time (in solo was harder).
2/ Zelda, Link's awakening on GameBoy.
3/ Street Fighter 2 on SNES.
4/ Donkey Kong Country on SNES.
5/ Killer Instinct on SNES. Best fighting game ever. And if you don't agree, you're just wrong :g
6/ FF7 on PS1. FF8 was great two, but Materia > All.
7/ MGS on PS1. Snake, Snake, Snnaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkeee !!!!
8/ Half Life on PC.
9/ Deus Ex on PC.
10/ UT on PC.
11/ Bioshock on PS3.
12/ Fallout 3 on PS3.
13/ Dead Space on PS3.
14/ Batman AA on PS3.

infoxicated
20th October 2010, 04:07 PM
Lol!

Stevie - surely you mean Manic Miner? A Morris Minor was a car! :D

DreamyElf
20th October 2010, 04:33 PM
Interesting choices guys (and girls?)! :)
I see i have the same taste on some games with some zoners. :+
It's also good to see some games i've never heard or played before...

I've updated my list on the first page and added some games i forgot. lol

SaturnReturn
20th October 2010, 07:14 PM
Frogger (Think it was some standalone yellow console box thing, but might have been green (http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Coleco/Frogger.htm))
Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System II)
Streets of Rage (Master System II)
Cloud Master (Master System II)
Tetris (Gameboy)
Super Mario 2 (Gameboy)
Zelda, Link's awakening (GameBoy)
Micromachines 2 (A mate's Mega Drive)
Street Fighter 2 (A mate's SNES)
Command & Conquer (PC)
Civilization II (PC)
Black & White (PC)
Descent (PC)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
Final Fantasy VIII (PSX)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (PSX)
Gran Turismo 2 (PS2)
GoldenEye (On a mate's N64)
Devil May Cry (PS2)
Timesplitters 2 (PS2)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Zuma (mobile phone - totally addictive)
Assassin's Creed (PS3)
Motorstorm (PS3)
Little Big Planet (PS3)

OBH
20th October 2010, 11:07 PM
bit more than 10 there :)

disappointed to see so many people put fallout 3 in their list. :( The original 2 are so, so much better.

SaturnReturn
20th October 2010, 11:10 PM
Who said anything about ten?

OBH
21st October 2010, 12:18 AM
Very good point!!!!

ONlock
21st October 2010, 12:56 AM
More of a "This is my taste in games thread", but it's interesting to see anyways.

My favs:

1 .Final Fantasy VII <- Good battle system, and costumizing options. Lovable characters.
2. Mass Effect 1-2 <- Great Sci-fi setting, emotionally engaging and interactive.
3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl <- This game shines with it's unique mix of FPS and roleplaying. Lots of soul!
4. Team Fortress 2 <- The most balanced class based FPS game I have ever played. Pure quality from Valve!
5. Gran Turismo 2 <- When you get the Escudo, you are pretty much done with it. :D

IDReaper
21st October 2010, 04:11 AM
My favorites off the top of my head of each respective series:

F-Zero Maximum Velocity(gba)
Extreme G(n64)
Star Wars: Episode I Racer(n64)
Fallout(PC)
Unreal Tournament(PC)
Quake 3(PC)
Trackmania United(PC)
Megaman X(SNES)
Battlefield 2142(PC)
Ristar(Genesis)
Ridge Racer 64(n64)
Armored Core 3(PS2)
Jet Set Radio Future(Xbox)
Hydro Thunder(ARC)
NFS Hot Pursuit 2(ARC)
Demon's Souls(PS3)
Valkyria Chronicles(PS3)
Doom(PC)
Moto GP '06(360)
Mechwarrior 3(PC)
Painkiller(PC)
Minecraft(PC) - still in alpha stages
Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram(360)
Kirby Superstar(SNES)
Pokemon Yellow Version(gb) - yeeessssssss!!!!!

There's definitely alot more but thats the best I can do right now.

stinkleroy
12th November 2010, 01:12 PM
10: Dead or Alive 3 (massive multiplayer laughs and, well, jiggliness)

Bwahaha ;)

I miss your posts Lunar!

Nice thread DE, I've had a think about it and a lot of my favourite games are old school too, ZX Spectrum FTW :p...showing my age here, in no particular order...

Bubble Bobble
Spy vs Spy
Gauntlet
(the infuriating...) Chuckie Egg
Double Dragon 1 & 2
R-Type
Legend of Zelda
Tomb Raider 1-4
Driver
GTA Series (all of them, well particularly Vice City)
Need for Speed (Underground was my favourite)
Little Big Planet

Can't really think of much right now, will update this list if I remember more :)

DreamyElf
12th November 2010, 05:02 PM
I'm glad you liked it Cat! :)

Double Dragon! excellent choice, you brought me back some good memories, great 2 player fun in that game!

MrSmadSmartAlex
12th November 2010, 05:12 PM
:+:+ for Spy vs. Spy, Chuckie Egg and Bubble Bobble, stinkleroy! I've been playing some Spy vs. Spy recently actually (the Master System version, which is the best IMO). :D

Here's a few of my favourites that come to mind:

- Elite (BBC Micro), now upgraded to Oolite on PC, which is the same, only better (and free)! :D
- Final Fantasy VII and VIII (also really liked IV and a few others in the series, but I played these two to death), even though there are objectively far better RPGs than these
- many Street Fighter games (some favourites are Alpha 3, EX+Alpha, and CvS2)
- Asterix (Sega Master System)
- Sonic 1 and 2 (SMS)
- Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (SMS)
- Micro Machines V3 (Playstation)
- Bombastic (PS2 sequel to Devil Dice)
- the first two Colony Wars games (the third one was also great, but not an all time classic IMO)

edit: btw, only Wipeout Pulse would make any list of my all time favourite games. The others are great, but haven't grabbed me like Pulse, these games, and a few others.

OBH
12th November 2010, 05:26 PM
Bubble Bobble was amazing :)

mic-dk
12th November 2010, 05:38 PM
And so was Elite. I spent hours exploring the galaxy in glorious CGA graphics.

I'm also partial to Hearts of Iron 1 and 2 and not least Europa Universalis II. I like my micromanaging empirebuilding :D

Oryx Crake
21st November 2010, 04:27 PM
wish I'd found this thread earlier...

in no particular order though:

F-Zero(snes) thats where the whole racing thing started for me.
Megaman x(snes) maybe it's cause I was just a kid but I loved this one.
Mario bros 3(nes) oh the hours spent in front of the screen.
Sonic the hedgehog(mega drive) just hours of fun and I loved the music too.
FFVII(psx) opened up a new world to me.
Suikoden(psx) second step into that new world, even now I dont mind the sub-par graphics.
MGS 2(ps2) just a generally good story, I was hooked the whole way through.
Ace Combat 3(psx) the feeling of freedom and action that no other flight simulator I ever tried gave me.
Ace combat 4(ps2) same as the one above.
Final fantasy tactics(psx) good music nice design good story, whats not to like really?
Silent hill 2(ps2) chillingly well executed.
Resident Evil(psx) one of the first great games for the playstation.
Worms(pc) just one of the best multiplayer games ever.
Super Smash Bros. Melee(gamecube) same as the one above.

There many more probably, or rather I know there are but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. many great games on many of the lists here.
Of course all of the wipeout installments except the psp ones(which I haven't played because of a lack of psps in my possesion) belong on this list too.

OBH
21st November 2010, 05:36 PM
Power Stone (Dreamcast).
How could I forget that gem :)

Dark_Phantom_89
21st November 2010, 08:28 PM
In no particular order, here are my all time favourite games. I had so much fun playing each and every one of these:

TimeSplitters 2 & 3 (PS1) - Absolutely fantastic games. My mate and I had endless hours of fun on the co-op and competitive modes. Many a time we would say "right, last ten go's" followed by "right, ten more go's!"

Bond: Nightfire (Gamecube) - We'd always play this with 3 or 4 players and we all had such a laugh when we did. We had some truly golden moments in that game which we'll never forget, like my mate being killed by Oddjob's hat which was thrown across the entire ravine. :lol

Super Monkeyball (Gamecube) - This was the ultimate party game. The bowling, boxing and golf were absolute classics.

Sonic The Hedgehog (Dreamcast) - One of the true 2D classics that was an absolute joy to play. It was a bit annoying that you only got 3 lives though.

Spyro The Dragon 1, 2 & 3 (PS1) - I loved these games immensely, so much so that I completed all of them to 100% and played through them multiple times throughout my younger years. Sgt. Byrd was the best character ever!

Pokemon Blue/Red (Gameboy) Yes, I actually captured all 150 Pokemon in this - twice. :paperbag That's how much I loved it.

Metroid II - The Return of Samus (Gameboy) - Another classic from the Gameboy. I had a really difficult time defeating the Queen Metroid at the end but was well chuffed when I emerged victorious.

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (PS2) - The best game from the series IMO. Great story, great multiplayer, great everything.

Final Fantasy IX (PS1) - When I played this game for the first time, I completely fell in love with it. The story was simply breathtaking and the character development was amazing. Each had their own stories and history and I would always play the game seeing what twist would happen next.

Final Fantasy X - Quite simply, the best RPG I have ever played. I can't even begin to describe how much I loved this game. I clocked up a grand total of 700 hours playing it.

Of course, WipEout is in there too but seeing as this thread is excluding that I didn't put it in. ;)

DreamyElf
22nd November 2010, 08:56 AM
I loved Timesplitters 2 too DP, fantastic game!:+
And of course i remember playing Spyro 1 back then...^^

Nutcase:259
22nd November 2010, 12:29 PM
Cant Belive i forgot Crash team racing???? (nw that think about it, its rather a odd name as there was no team element?)

either way it was incredible "tiny squash puny cars!":D

ID reaper also metioned Mechwarrior 3 :g
that was awesome and i loved the intro sequence to it

BulletWraith
23rd November 2010, 02:00 AM
Rez
Vib-ribon
Alien Vs Predator (the side scrolling beat em up from the Arcade)
Daytona USA (arcade)
Crisis Zone
Marvel Vs Capcom2
Killer7
Killer Instinct
GoldenEye007 the best of times
Perfect Dark
Forsaken
Extreme-G
Eyetoy Kinetic really good, crazy good for working out
Boarderlands
Super Mario Bros3
Audiosurf
Warioland(gameboy)
F-zeroX
Turn it Around (Japanese arcade game)
Ridge Racer Type4
Street Fighter Ex2 Plus
Virtual On Arcade

-zer:donutshen

F.E.I.S.A.R
23rd November 2010, 06:09 AM
Games I played before(and like because I can remember them)
-Gran Turismo 2(PS)(I agree that getting the Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak Edition is a goal in the game)
-Gran Turismo 1(PS)(prefer sequel over prequel)
-Vigilante 8 2nd Offense(PS)
-Bloody Roar 2(PS)
-Digimon World(PS)
-Ridge Racer Type 4(PS)
-Ridge Racer DS(DS)
-Trauma Center:Under the Knife 2(DS)

KGB
23rd November 2010, 08:11 AM
A lot of mine are from before the dawn of time ;)

Gyron - Sepctrum
Daley Thompsons Decathlon - Spectrum
Attic attack - Spectrum
Knight Lore - Spectrum
Highway Encounter - Spectrum (the first game I ever finished 8))
Marble Madness - Arcade

Dark_Phantom_89
23rd November 2010, 09:56 AM
Argh I forgot Crash Team Racing as well Nut. That game was fantastic - so many memories of N. Gin saying "This one's mine!!" with his crazy psychopath voice.

OBH
8th December 2010, 01:27 AM
Thanks to Mr. Flit Fandango I;ve remembered two great games by lucas arts - Grim Fandango (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV1NBHL9Fa4) and Full Throttle :)

Classics.

AppleJack
9th December 2010, 01:35 AM
Favorite games of all time? Hmm...let's see

Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Secret of Mana (SNES)
Star Wars Battlefront (Xbox)
Gran Turismo 1&2 (PS1)
Mutant League Football (Genesis)
C&C Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge (PC)
COD4 (PC)
Twisted Metal 1 (PS1)
Borderlands (360/PS3)
Battlefield 2142 (PC)
Fallout 3 (360)
Gauntlet (Arcade)
Yie Air Kung Fu (Arcade)
Bioshock (360/PS3)
Burnout Paradise (360/PS3)
Killer Instinct (SNES)
Mortal Kombat II (Arcade)
Robotron 2084 (Arcade)
Initial D Special Stage (Japanese PS2)
Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)

I should also include a few arcade pinballs

Addams Family
Black Knight 2000
The Machine: Bride of Pinbot
Theatre of Magic

Rennfisch
9th December 2010, 05:43 AM
I like playing strategy games. Settlers III I bought when it came to market. Ca. 1995, I believe. Since I love this game. Unfortunately I was forced several years ago to buy me a new one because the old was no longer running on my new PC . Settlers IV was also great, but everything that came afterwards was crap!

BulletWraith
9th December 2010, 10:23 AM
thanks AppleJack!
completly forgot about Twisted Metal, I loved TM2, played two player co-op heaps at my mates :D
also I forgot about
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer(N64) an amazing game!, especially back when I didn't own a PS1//2/3
the graphics blew me away and the customization was actually a fun experience going to buy parts, really good Star wars feel about it, the movie had nothing on it

stEvie

DrMannevond
15th December 2010, 06:52 PM
Off the top of my head :

Bubble Bobble (C64)
Champions of Krynn (C64)
Moonstone (Amiga 500) - Awesome with 4 people. Splat!
Red Faction 1&2 (PS2)
Black (PS2) - Fps version of Burnout (same studio). It's insane
Timesplitters 2 (PS2)
Burnout 3 (PS2) - Still the best in the series in my opinion. Road Rage ftw!
Descent (PC)
Red Alert 2 (PC)
Command & Conquer : Generals (PC)
Battlefield 2 (PC)
Vigilante 8 and Vigilante 8 2nd Offense (PSOne) - Split-screen multiplayer
X-wing / Tie-fighter (PC)
Day of the Tentacle (PC)
Duke Nukem 3D (PC) - Pipe bombs in the elevator:D
Defender of the Crown (C64)
Worms (PC)
Metal Gear Solid 1,2,3,4 (PSOne, PS2, PS3) - If I have to pick one I'd go for MGS3 because of the boss-fights (sniper duel, psycho cosmonaut dude, The Sorrow etc.):clap
Eve Online - Because of the insane adrenaline kick you get from pvp. I can honestly say that nothing (including wipeout) can even compare. Honest!

And a whole bunch of others I can't remember right now.

IndoorSnowStorm
15th December 2010, 09:39 PM
Well here's my list (It's fairly short) :guitar

In no particular order:
1. Lunar Knights - DS
2. Mega Man X Series - Various
3. Mega Man ZX Series - DS
4. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game - PS3
5. Legend of Zelda Series - Nintendo Systems
6. Dissidia Final Fantasy - PSP
7. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus - PSP
8. Vanquish (I only have the demo, but its awesome!) - PS3