PDA

View Full Version : Calling London...

mic-dk
19th October 2010, 07:56 AM
So, my wife and I are visiting London in a couple of weeks time. It's sort of a honeymoon, with the NFL game for me and shopping and a musical for her :)

I need restaurant advice for the one proper dinner we have time for. I don't mind spending 2-300£, so I guess I'm looking for a place somewhere in between the curryshop on the corner and the posh Michelin-starred joints. As long as it's a friendly place with good food, I'm happy.

Our hotel is somewhere in Kensington so anywhere within reasonable tube distance is good.

Oh, and if anyone has any pointers on getting to Wembley on gameday with minimum effect on my bloodpressure, please let me know. I could bite the bullet and take a cab, but I don't want to be stuck in traffic for 2 hours either :D

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

infoxicated
19th October 2010, 08:51 AM
Cool. 8)

I'll be going to the game, too - down in London that whole weekend, actually. I was there for the Chargers v Saints game two years ago (http://www.flickr.com/photos/infoxicated/sets/72157608400953915/) - it wasn't so bad getting there, but leaving was brutal. There was still some construction work going on at the time, and I'm sure it compromised the flow of people leaving the site. I think it took close to an hour to get from the stadium to the tube station, and we ended up doubling back on ourselves just to get on a train.

There are probably people who know a good/expensive restaurant in Kensington better than me (I'm just not that classy!), but if you're looking for somewhere to get breakfast, brunch or coffee then I cannot recommend Cafe Continente (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&sll=51.490763,-0.206616&sspn=0.005197,0.013797&ie=UTF8&t=h&split=1&filter=0&rq=1&ev=zi&radius=0.36&hq=the+famous+three+kings,+south+kensington,&hnear=&ll=51.491438,-0.207224&spn=0,0.021973&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.491438,-0.207224&panoid=loAQzuoVD4GXRWW-U_wUtg&cbp=12,221.97,,0,1.31) on North End Road, South Kensington highly enough. Their food is great, as is the coffee and their smoothies if you're into that kind of thing - I'm much too manly for all that, myself. ;)

Not that I want to intrude on your honeymoon, but if you'd like to meet up over the weekend or game day, for instance, then do let me know. I'll be going to the game with my cousin and a few other folk, so if you fancy some company or just some folk to tag along with before the game then it'd be great to meet you and your wife. :)

mic-dk
19th October 2010, 10:40 AM
Love the purple indian and the 4m tall LT :lol We're on a bit of a schedule for most of the weekend, but I (we) would love to meet up before the game! There's supposedly a tailgate party outside the stadium included in the tickets, I was planning to check that out well before the game. Anyhoo we can settle the details over PM.

My wife loves smoothies, and I coffee, so your recommendation is duly noted! :D

yeldar2097
19th October 2010, 01:44 PM
Not sure about the restaurants, depends what kind of thing you're looking for. I have a few mates who live there so I'll ask them if they know of anywhere really good.

Getting to Wembley is (even though it's a bit of a long haul) easiest by Tube in my opinion: Get yourself on the Jubilee or Metropolitan line and head to Wembley Park. You come out of the station looking straight at the stadium and from there it's maybe a 5 min walk to get there. It won't be so bad on the way there but after you're done, prepare for some pedestrian gridlock.

You could try taking the train from/to Marylebone Station to Wembley Stadium Station but I'm not entirely sure how to get there after that, I've always gone for the Underground. Having said that, it's good to have a few options available to you since the London Underground is often marred by engineering works and the like.

Edit: This is probably more helpful than I am :P (http://www.wembleystadium.com/gettingtowembley/directionstowembley/)

mic-dk
19th October 2010, 05:12 PM
Well, how hard can it be with the station named "Wembley Stadium Station"? :D I'm betting I can spot a football jersey or two and follow them in case of emergency. The tube wins it, I think, at least for going out. We may have to improvise leaving again along with the crowd. I hope the beer will bolster my patience :dizzy

The restaurant doesn't have to be in Kensington. Anywhere along the Circle line or a change from that is perfectly acceptable. Really, I'm just looking for a place you fellows would take your significant other.

Hellfire_WZ
20th October 2010, 09:23 PM
One place I'd recommend is where I took my girlfriend for her 21st birthday. It's a small Chinese restaurant on Greek Street which runs parallel to Charing Cross Road, behind the Palace Theatre, called Yming. It's without a doubt the best Chinese restaurant I've ever been to, and pretty much every review you read of the place online would agree. Completely blows away anything you'd find in Chinatown. It depends on what you have, but it's not exactly wallet-breaking either, normally we can get away with around £30 per head but if you want to blow out there's plenty of stuff on the menu. First time I went in there I think we ordered a whole lobster among other things and ended up blowing over £60 each! The waiters are also extremely helpful, they know the menu like the back of their hand and can easily recommend other stuff to go with your order.

Nearest station is Leicester Square

http://www.yming.co.uk/

mic-dk
21st October 2010, 06:58 AM
That sounds great! It's been a while since I've had good Chinese food, so that is definitely being entered into the plan. Thanks!

Edit: By the way, that's exactly the kind of place I am looking for. I would never have found that by my self - thanks again!

Challenger #001
21st October 2010, 07:06 AM
I'm afraid I can't help you much with central London, but if by mistake you should happen to get on the wrong side of the Metropolitan line and ride it all the way to Uxbridge after the game, I can recommend either the Tai Pan (Chinese Buffet) or the Malt Shovel (Fairly cozy classic English Pub restaurant.)

mic-dk
21st October 2010, 07:20 PM
Well, if there's one thing missing in central London it's proper pubs. I can't find them at least ;)

We'll see if I lose my sense of direction :D Thanks!