PDA

View Full Version : Another Tournament?

DJ Techno
5th February 2003, 07:50 PM
I have gone ahead and made plans to do another tournament.

Hopefully this one won't be as easy to play. It will not be as hard to understand to play. And this time we could finish the tournament in a correct period of time.

My ideas for the next tournament.
Are between two.
Singles (again)
&
Teams

A while ago I did ask people from WOZ board and WOF forum about how they felt about another tournament.
I suggested this one would be a teams tournament. Of course the problem in that is, how do you have it? Well I am working on that one.

And I would like to know your opinion on whether the last tournament was a pretty good success and could go on for another year or not.
If there is going to be another one, what was it that was missing from the first tournament that should have been put in?
This time we include any of the wipeout games that were left out from the first tournament?
etc.

rhys
5th February 2003, 08:05 PM
You mean another people from WOF vs pople from WOZ tournament?

That would be cool :D Maybe infox, or someone else handy with html could make a little page that could be updated by them daily with scores and times on it.

Dragon
5th February 2003, 08:32 PM
We'ed prolly cream them :)

Lance
5th February 2003, 10:34 PM
you will notice that i moved this topic to the Arena forum, the appropriate place.

A: you should have learned enough from the extremely long discussions of every point of the previous contest to run this one yourself. i will not do it this time, and you should not get anyone else to do so. it's time for you to solo.

B: the last one was both too complex and too long, and no, it could not have gone on for a year, nor should it be repeated this year. that sort of long set of different contests every week is for professional athletes like tennis players and football teams. most competitors don't have that many weeks in which they can use considerable time for a sustained gaming effort. it is a very different prospect from pick-up-and-play for simple enjoyment. the last one extended across too many holidays, weekends, business commitments, family and friends commitments, etc. you need to keep it practical for more people. had it not been for Al's friends, there would have been very few competitors. you have to distinguish between what you would be willing to do yourself in order to participate versus what other potential competitors would do. i suggest that most people will be more willing to participate in something simple and tightly focussed rather than a more grandiose scheme.

C: if you're going to do another one, i suggest that you restrict the contest to one version of the game. it is not a question of what should have been put in the last one that was left out. there was too much in it already; the complex rules and conditions took away all the fun and absorbed too much time and energy that should have been spent on actual competition. the complexity of your first one was a tremendous weakness

Dragon
5th February 2003, 10:58 PM
Maybe an HSX tornament, i just came back from Blockbuster and rented it, gonna try it out soon :)

xEik
5th February 2003, 11:14 PM
In a WipEout website? (may I say in the WipEout website?) :roll: :-?

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Hybrid Divide
6th February 2003, 02:35 AM
Yeah, that last tourney was a bit complex, but you gotta admit, it was unique. It was the only All-Game tourney I've seen to date.

I had fun, but yeah, a few less rules would be a good idea.

zargz
6th February 2003, 11:34 PM
techno: there r a couple of challanges (ntsc) for wo1 and wo3 up in here that r stll open
so if u wanna revive them by yo prezence be my (our) guest! they r:

the korodera challange - wo1

well . the
NTSC Prototype 1 Challenge
is allready closed but u can TRY and beat thOse times too!! 8)

DJ Techno
7th February 2003, 01:13 PM
Noting every thing down, need some more revies and advise, opnions, and ideas.

Rhys, I knew this would get your attention! :P WOF vs. WOZ that might happen again.
If you could get a hold of...
Dr. Vekk
Oggob
Rorschach
15 others in the majority list...

I still wanted this tournament to be both inside WOZ and outside. This is for everybody, remember!

Dragon, HSX let's not try it, send me an email about the thing, and I will think about it.

Lance, thanks for moving the topic to the Arena, but I believed this was a specific General Discussions topic, because nothing has really been set up or started, but it's ok.
I was trying to tell you why I didn't want my tournament started in October and start in Janurary because of holiday, family and friends get togethers, people have to work, etc.
I knew people had other commitments, I take "restict the contest to one version of the game" under consideration. The complex rules, game play, everything will be check and made understanding before I present the tournament.

xEik, Yes you may! But which one? there is so many and hell, people could publish this on there sites. (just an idea)

Vagrant, I try to make things easy, fun, and hard and a little complicated as possible. So that everybody is going to have a different chance for winning. This will be again the "only All-Game trouny" to date.

Zargz, Well I will look into them and check them out.

Keep the responses going, because work, plenty of work is going to be done.
Techno out.

Lance
7th February 2003, 06:29 PM
Mike: xEik was questioning the validity of Dragon's suggestion of a non-wipeout challenge being run on a wipeout website, namely wipeoutzone. his implication being that all challenges in wipeoutzone be for the game of wipeout, not something else

concerning competition length and timing: had i not pressured for an early formulation of the contest structure and rules, your previous challenge would not have started till mid-January at the earliest. even with that pressure, there was a period of about 3 weeks of discussion before the rules were more or less complete. it was this delay that put the last couple of weeks of the challenge into the major holiday season in North America. if this were a major concern, the idea of waiting till after they were over to start a competition would have been a strong indicator that the challenge should not have even been proposed till after that season was over. there is such a thing as discussing a challenge too far in advance of the event. since you had already brought it up in early october, it would have been a good idea to get the contest started only a week or so later, since it was intended to last for weeks. it is perfectly understandable, however, that as a newbie, you weren't aware of the differences between NTSC and PAL and the complications that arise from that, nor of the limited time many of us have for actual gaming. so a large chunk of the 3 or 4 week delay was just learning curve, getting up to speed. either the contest should have started earlier and been simpler and shorter, or you should have delayed proposing the challenge till there had been time to get a handle on the complications. i liked the concept a lot, but it was a complicated thing to make work. very time-consuming.
i wish that more of the europeans and australians had been able to take part. regionally speaking, it was very one-sided, so it wasn't the World Championship of Formula W that i would have liked to see. but it was interesting.

''a[s] little complicated as possible'' does not co-exist with an ''all game'' tourney. just so you know :D

nor does a multi-region challenge. if you either restrict the challenge to one region [as North America OR the rest of the world] or provide a completely separate competition for each of the two major regions, you can eliminate points and simply go by the times, which would simplify the process considerably.
another simplification would be to eliminate the week-by-week structure requiring the participants to take part in only one version of the game per week. eliminating this restriction would allow the competitors to race when they had time to do so, and this would probably increase the number of participants, and probably also improve the performance level seen in the results.

the most important simplification of all might be to avoid public discussion of anything until you create the challenge. extended discussion by many people tends to delay to an extreme the start of actual competition. look at how long it took last time when there were only three people doing almost all the talking.

this leads to more thoughts for you to consider. there are a couple of basic approaches to creating a racing challenge for a group such as the wz pilots:
the one which you seem to favour is to involve as many people as possible in some large democratic political process. this is more fun for people who enjoy the creation process and the talking more than they enjoy the racing.
the other basic way is to create a challenge on your own and present it for immediate competition. to state the obvious, this is more fun for the people who prefer to race.

the first of those two will tend to result in more complex competitions as a result of everyone trying to get their favourite thing into the contest. the managing of the process will tend to be long and difficult as one tries to integrate all the elements into something that will actually work. it tends to require the skills and dedication of a Prime Minister. we might not see the competition itself occur until a few months have passed, if ever. again, the process of talking about it uses up most of the time, and for some people, provides the actual fun. there is more than one kind of success available in challenges,clearly a matter of personal preference that will determine which members actually take part.

i prefer racing, but each to his own. [not that i don't like talking. which is amply demonstrated by the length of this post ;) ]

DJ Techno
10th February 2003, 07:43 PM
I honestly agree trying to included the Europeans and Australians in this.

Including a couple of Asian countries! Particurly Japan!

I wish I could say I tried to convince a couple of folks I knew in the Euro's

No Dragon, what you just posted would not be concidered spam!

Lance, the way I figured out to make this second tournament out, is to take the rules and play used in the first tournament. Update them, relook over every detail and mistake I made, you added, and stuff thrown in.

I guess have the same people put in charge of running the show!
Introduce the new things!!!!

Dragon
11th February 2003, 01:27 AM
If i get AIM again, i can get a hold of Dr.Vekk, my dad deleted it though. Not sure why.
His AIM is XXX if u guys could before me, that would be great.

edit by Lance: i X'd out the AIM screenname because you shouldn't be spreading other people's personal info around. i did not edit the sentence structure because, though i can speculate on what you meant to say, i'm not sure of it. i'm curious as to why the WZ members might be contacting Dr Vekk. i sure hope you mean that Dr Vekk might be persuaded to join the WZ and participate in the challenge; otherwise this post might be considered spam.

DJ Techno
13th February 2003, 08:35 PM
For this years new tournament.

yes this time it's going to be a lot more funner than the last one.

Yes the experiece is going to be tuffer (that means how your going to win isn't going to be easy)

Yes, were back to NTSC Western hemisphere and PAL Eastern hemisphere are back at it. And Japan and any other asian country is still out? :-? :-? :-?

Just to let everybody know, the game console your going to need is a Sony Playstation.
This is going to be a simpler and a little bit shorter tournament.
Not saying that the tournament is only going to consist of one game.
I'll a little shakey on that.

Dr. Vekk
7th January 2006, 07:49 AM
Hmm it seems someone called for me...
Yes it is I Dr. Vekk formerly of the Wipeout Fusion message board

used to race for EGR now am racing for Horimau

(you knew i would buy a psp just for Pure :sonar )

So anyway who knows me and remembers me eh?

Lance
7th January 2006, 09:33 AM
a bit late in picking up the telephone? ;)
the post just before yours is almost 3 years old. we may have a new record here for bringing up old threads. any confirmation of that, anyone?

i take it that ''Dragon'' never got in contact with you. he's been gone from this board quite a long time unless he has been lurking without logging in.

eLhabib
8th January 2006, 06:00 PM
wow, almost THREE YEARS! man, that definitely is new zombie-record! And I thought 7 months was long on the last zombie!

Lion
8th January 2006, 08:46 PM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212

april 2002 -> december 2005 :P

Rouni Kenshin#1
8th January 2006, 10:00 PM
If i were to set up and run a team tournament(which i won't) i would set it up like so...

1-each team consists of one person racing a single team.(so you get a team that has one ship of each team in the game)(these teams will be orgnaized by the "officient" who will make sure each team is ballance in skill. There will be 3 teams. ONLY the people who enter their name before all the slots are filled can play. if you say that this is unfair it is for the sake of the tournament and you can apply in the next one.)

2-this will be in one version of wipeout(MY choice would be pure)

3-each member of the each team will race each track in Free mode and only get 3 laps. The best of the 3 is submitted(be will assume that everyone is honest and will only race 3 laps).

4- To keep it short the # of tracks would be around 10-12

5- (only applies to pure) the racing would not be online to accomidate the racers without wi-fi.

6- also to shorten the Tournament length all racers must have their times in at a pre set date.

7- the Tracks used would be picked at random by the "officient"

and i think that's it.

Lance
8th January 2006, 11:15 PM
Lion, nice find. definitely even bigger gap than this one by several months. you have found the provisional record-holder. :D

Dimension
10th January 2006, 08:59 AM
Wow, now i've seen 1 and the occasional 2 year sleepers before but best part of 4 years? that's some serious going!:clap

DJ Techno
25th April 2006, 07:13 AM
To bring up, excuse me...

clean up some dust.

how was Kenshins contest, if one was made-it seems my eyes to blurry from findin it.

If Vekk shows back up...thats 4 something years to reach u man.
I'll get back with u.

Finishing Some Automotive TRD/SRS racing systems...for something better. For 06. better worked out, functionable, and stunnin.
minus the little important mistake i miss and got help on, from the trible council elders.

And if this gets noticed... drop a message in either yahoo or msn.
it'll be picked up