PDA

View Full Version : PC Ergonomics Thread

icarasDragon
12th September 2010, 12:13 PM
I thought we should have a thread to discuss little tips and tricks we find to make using the PC easier
I my self found out if i'm going to be using the PC for a LONG time, turning down the brightness on monitor helps the eyes ;)

AspenExcel
12th September 2010, 03:45 PM
Now that I have MacBook Pro, I have it sitting on my desk, but in a skinny drawer just below I have a bluetooth keyboard and wireless mouse which I use. I find this is much more comfortable than having to reach up onto the desk to type/use the trackpad.

YouAreFubar
12th September 2010, 04:22 PM
My Macbook Pro is on a Rain mstand (like this) (http://flipsidereality.com/blog/tag/laptop/) on my desk which raises the monitor closer to eye level making it easier to look at, and then use a Mac full size USB keyboard (which looks good and also has the extra number and function buttons my laptop keyboard hasnt got) and a bluetooth mouse to work with while its setup on my desk.

Lowering brightness definitely helps but having the monitor so the top of it is eye level and directly in front of you also helps as well. The monitor should also be distanced so if you extend your arm and hand ahead of you you should be able to just touch the top of the monitor. Also making sure your seat is setup so your feet are just touching the ground and so your arms are supported by the arms of your chair and the desk. I need to get a decent chair for my setup still.

RedScar
12th September 2010, 11:17 PM
Never stare at your monitor or TV when it is the only source of light, you will get a headache in no time flat and I'm sure it can't be good for your eyes.

Also, dont' get a Mac :P

icarasDragon
13th September 2010, 01:55 AM
Eh, while were at it why don't we post pics of our rigs?
(I can't because my camera's practically flat at the moment, and lost :| )

AspenExcel
13th September 2010, 02:45 AM
Woo dorm setup! :) I definitely need to get some nice speakers happening soon.

stin
13th September 2010, 07:45 AM
HR Giger!!!!, got one of them and they are amazing pictures he drew!!!:blarg

stevie:)

YouAreFubar
13th September 2010, 10:47 PM
Also, dont' get a Mac :P
Theres always one! :rolleyes:

Never stare at your monitor or TV when it is the only source of light, you will get a headache in no time flat and I'm sure it can't be good for your eyes.
Thats a good bit of advice though!

Heres some links to my setup here (http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv323/yafubar/setup/DSC01644.jpg) & here (http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv323/yafubar/setup/DSC01646.jpg), excuse the mess. The records keep going to the right (ive got nearly 10 years worth of collection) but I couldnt fit them all in the shot. As far as my setup being ergonomic, I need to get a decent chair other than the basic plastic Ikea one ive got at the mo.

Unctuous, I really like the Aphex Twin print, where was that from?

AspenExcel
14th September 2010, 01:49 AM
Fubar that Aphex Twin painting was done by a friend of mine. :) And how are those Rokits by the way? Are those the RP5s?

RedScar
14th September 2010, 02:00 PM
Once I get a camera (thanks to this thread, I realize I forgot to take it with me) I can take a picture of my rig and etc.

LurifaxFlux
14th September 2010, 05:40 PM
@ Unctuous:
Big thumbs up @ Aphex Twin and H R Giger :D

OnTopic:
This is the optimal head to monitor alignment, the alignment I want but have never achieved :( (At least not on my home setup)
My eyes are aligned to the middle of the monitor when my chair is in comfy mode (leaned back), or the middle of the top half when the chair is straight.
It is really relaxing to look just below the monitor after looking at the middle of the monitor for a while :P
http://www.thewebsqueeze.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/monitor-and-face.png

My setup below:

YouAreFubar
14th September 2010, 08:58 PM
@ Unctuous - They are the RP6 G2's. Ive literally had them about a week and havent had time to properly get accustomed to them yet because im working stupid shifts at the mo, the speakers I had before (on the floor by the shelves on my second photo, Tapco S8's) had 8 inch drivers so im used to my speakers having a bit deeper bass response. The KRK's sound really nice and detailed though and I reckon theyll be fine once I get used to them, but im definitely tempted to get the RP8's instead while im still covered by the guarantee from the shop I bought them from.

That Aphex painting is awesome, your friend has talent!