PDA

View Full Version : Sony in frenzy about new PS3 hack that works

blackwiggle
6th September 2010, 01:28 PM
Sony Australia has gone into major damage control since the release & sale of the Jailbreak USB Dongle here.
They are trying to stop all sales immediately.
This dongle allows you to run a 2nd OS again, Copy your games from the Blueray discs onto a HD among other things Sony definitely don't want you to be able to do.

See link for demo of the Jailbreak.
http://techie-buzz.com/gaming/ps3-jailbreak-usb-dongle.html

Darkdrium777
7th September 2010, 12:22 AM
Too late!

The code has already been ported to other devices like the Palm Pre (And another phone.)
There's apparently more on the way.

Three years though, that's incredible.

blackwiggle
7th September 2010, 06:15 AM
I wonder what this will all mean in the end.
I'm guessing Sony might have already factored in for possible total security bypass in the system software with the last couple of updates, especially after having some close calls over the last year, where if it can detect that this Jailbreak [ or versions of same] is being used, and / or if illegal copied content is on a console, then it will be denied access to the PSN.

Is it worth cracking the PS3?
I have never used a cracked or chipped console, and I'd rather have a legit version of a game with the packaging than some randomly burnt disc.

This happening might mean the PS4's release might be brought forward if nothing can be down about jailbreak.
I can't see Sony copping a hiding in lost revenue to game pirates for any extended time, they are only starting to make money out of the PS3 since the slim's release and getting a bigger market share, they will cut their loses with something new, far too much $$ in it now days.
Sony backed Cinavia and installed that on the sly 2 updates ago, and the usual code breakers can't disable it from what I'm reading at the Slysoft forums.

blackwiggle
7th September 2010, 03:57 PM
A new system update has just come out you will find.
I just got a message from somebody that has the jailbreak dongle that this update disarms Jailbreak.
I knew Sony were on to it.
The hackers gave their methods away, that's what screwed them about 6 months ago.
H: Hackers 0 V Away : Sony 1

Darkdrium777
7th September 2010, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't count the hackers out just yet.
Apparently (And I do mean apparently because I'm reading this from forum comments) the programmable chip inside the PSJailbreak can be updated to keep breaching through the firmware securities that Sony puts in place.
Of course, they were also saying that this PSJailbreak was the PS3's Pandora battery (hardware exploit, no possible software patch could break it) and we all know that's not entirely true thanks to 3.42 now.

Regarding if it's worth it or not... Well that is up to opinion. For the PS3 I do not know yet. Unless you're a cheap guy and will download all games, the only thing this device does is allow piracy. For now. Maybe it can bring stuff later? That remains to be seen.

However I have to say that for the PSP it was worth it for me.
Because if it wasn't for it, unless Sony upped the limit of PSN activations on the PSP from one to more than that, I would not be able to play both the PULSE DLC that HunterGreg graciously gave me a long time ago AND my PSN downloadable games one after the other without having to log in to multiple accounts and activate content thanks to their bad DRM for the platform.
I also would not be able to play WipEout PurE with smoother framerate.
And there's a few more, like ebooks, homebrews, etc.
These may seem like small perks, and I do lose the online function completely. However considering that whenever I'm actually playing the PSP I'm far from a wireless connection, and that Sony does not allow the small things I just said... That's enough for me.

blackwiggle
8th September 2010, 12:41 AM
As Jailbreak uses the USB port to access the PS3, I think all Sony has to do is modify the USB drivers to be alerted to it's presence, then deny access to disable it.
Or something similar to that.

BBC News report about the latest update.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11213618

LurifaxFlux
9th September 2010, 07:25 AM
When I got an Xbox 360, the first thing I did was to mod it.

With PS3, it's different, I care more about getting banned here.
I won't give it a try at least for a while.
Perhaps I could just wait until PS4, and then I could play any (old) game I want with PS3 :P

If you get my drift

infoxicated
9th September 2010, 09:59 AM
And that'll be the end of that, I'm afraid. :|

I didn't mind you discussing the hardware and implications of this on the platform, but some folk just can't help willy waving about software theft.

It's not big, it's not clever, and it's the reason development teams go under and people lose their jobs. If you want to discuss how "cool" you think pirate software is, take it elsewhere.