PDA

View Full Version : Nerves!

mikrucio
26th August 2010, 12:45 PM
Do you guys get crap because of nerves sometimes?

Its really funny for me. Against players I have rivals with I have no problem with nerves and just play well. But against other players that Iv never played
I get super nervous and grind a few walls and lose...

But not newbies or anything just high ranked players.

then after a few races i usually go pretty well after I settle in...

Are you guys the same, or are you super stone cold emotionless robots?

Dark_Phantom_89
26th August 2010, 02:23 PM
I'm exactly the same mikrucio, especially if it's a league match or something. Which is why I'll probably go out early in the Avalon Cup!

slimjim
26th August 2010, 02:38 PM
im the same but that maybe because im just not good enough:paperbag

Aeroracer
26th August 2010, 03:46 PM
the more effort you put into the game to get good the more nervous you may get when you play online.theirs more at stake as you have invested much time and expect results.theirs the presure of playing other good players and their right up your backside and you know if you make the slightes mistake or are not lucky on the pickups you will get blown off the track...this all adds to nerves..
the pressure of living upto the expectations of other may think of you.
the loser fears nothing as they expect nothing so anything is a bonus but the winner has all to lose..

infoxicated
26th August 2010, 04:39 PM
First time I played online in WipEout Pulse I was a total wreck! My heart was pounding and I made a total mess of all the races I played.

I got calmer after a while, but to this day I still get nervous playing any game online at first. It's like you're throwing yourself to the lions and until you get your confidence up it's quite daunting. :nod

haiku
26th August 2010, 06:23 PM
I only get nerves racing against people that I think I should be able to compete against. Like when I race the elites here I am pretty relaxed and just having fun and getting better. When I race people that I feel I should be able to beat, I get some nerves about it.

The problem with getting nerves is that it's either great or terrible. I'm either taking perfect lines and clean laps or I am scraping and ramming all over the place. I still have yet to throw a controller or rage quit, but when I lose to people I think I should be able to beat, it's gutting!

Nutcase:259
26th August 2010, 06:53 PM
When i 1st started racing you peeps online that was a bit nervous. the whole " oh god im massively out of my depth!" ( especially when your like 10secs behind) .
also when you make a massive cock up like grinding to a halt when you hit the barriers and everyone see's as they go past. other than that ive got used to it. except for today actually. wining at metropia :D with Mr Dark Phantom closing up behind me. very nervy, although nerves aren't necessarily a bad thing. your always at your best if your always on the edge.

Kyonshi
26th August 2010, 09:38 PM
There was a time when i totally freaked out when i was racing the top dogs. Mostly because i was pummeled down by them :lol. Now i got more experience and improved a lot my piloting, its nothing compared from 2009. I can now say i'm able to compete against the best of the best, but still, i got some stress coming in when i race the following guys: Yeldar, Rezatron, Dark Phantom 89, IDReaper, XBarnsterX, Ace3cube, Woopzilla, WizardPlay. I may forget some others, but among the regulars, it's quite intense racing them. And if i can almost win against them, i get panic attacks, but good ones :hyper

mikrucio
27th August 2010, 04:10 AM
Oh good to hear guys!

Chet_BG
28th August 2010, 09:41 AM
Not really. When I just play online I usually don't. And I've raced people that are much higher level than I am. Maybe if I race someone from the top player I will, but I've raced only Kyonshi so far and I didn't recognize him at first :D
Anyway I've played Tekken a lot a few years ago, and when I participate in a tournament I get very nervous even against players I play on a daily basis with.
In other words, if I'm just playing for fun - no, but if there is something at stake - definitely. So I'll probably go out early too, even though I'm still not very good, so I'll go out either way :D

YouAreFubar
28th August 2010, 10:22 PM
I think I only get nerves when I feel I should be winning. For example if im in 1st and ive just been the victim of a few mines, a missile then rockets, or fallen off the track accidentally or something. When ive gone from 1st to last and im trying to rush back through the pack to 1st place it all gets very nerve wracking towards the end.

Well, its either nerves or frustration anyway...... :brickwall

Aeroracer
12th September 2010, 03:35 PM
i didnt have nerves when i played my avalon cup game i liked it.i knew how good i was and i knew how good andybob was so there were no surprises.so i think nerves is caused by anticipation of the unknown.not knowing how well you can perform and how good the opposition can perform ..

Whizawk
12th September 2010, 03:40 PM
I try to forget that I'm competing for 1st place and I end up racing perfect laps by trying to race perfect lines. However I do come last sometimes due to being hit. :(

But it's all in the glory of flying past all these inexperienced fliers to see that you're better than them at piloting. :D

OBH
12th September 2010, 06:59 PM
I was nervous loads at first. Real eager to compete with the fast names around. After a while of getting to know people though, it became a far more chilled & social affair.... instead it was my gun-ho racing style and hatred of losing that would cause more mistakes than nerves :P

Chet_BG :+
Good call of Tekken nerves. I definitely get far more nervous in big fights than say a woHD race. If your stupid your game can be over in an instant.

Man i miss Tekken! Suffering Armour-King-arse-whopping withdrawal!

LurifaxFlux
13th September 2010, 07:53 AM
I get very nervous when it's a 1on1 race (in a cup/alike) against a player I have never raced before.

In the Avalon Cup I raced Luxoflux which I'd seen good records of, but I had never raced him.
I was really really nervous the first race, and quite nervous the second race, and still a little bit nervous on the third race ^_^
I did win the first and third race, but in the second I did too many mistakes in ratio to his skill on that track :P

I will post video later today of the event and you'll see how crappy I play in the beginning xD

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyjysMAagwE

Challenger #001
13th September 2010, 10:27 AM
I was utterly shaking when in my first races against Asseyeah, and only moreso when I got in front of him. Didn't last long, of course. XD

IndoorSnowStorm
13th September 2010, 11:24 PM
I'm calm most of the time, probably just because I race for fun, but when I can't even see the thrust trail of the person in front of me, I lose all hope. I try to do a barrel roll at every possible chance, but I totally fail and blow up from doing too many. After that I'm hopelessly lost, and I crash everywhere. :(

Aeroracer
15th September 2010, 10:48 PM
if i ever get nervous i just think of somethnig really nice im gonna do in real life this puts me in perspective and i realise im only playinga a game so its fun and the nerves vanish..
just cos you win or lose dosnt change how people view you...well proper people anyway..:nod

xtriko
16th September 2010, 06:49 AM
after a few bottles of beer or/and a bottle of whiskey, you totally forgot the nerves lol and sometimes you even win a few races while singing and attempting crazy BR's lol that's my way to avalon XD or at least, it used to be lol

LurifaxFlux
16th September 2010, 08:48 AM
If there was a 'Like' button on posts, I would press it on yours xtriko XD

Aeroracer
17th September 2010, 12:56 AM
why are so many wipeout players p**s heads i cant even play straight when im sober but then again i dont play 100% sober as im a red wine lover but i wouldnt say i get drunk just cosey curled up in a chair with a blanket around me..

some mathematics to make sence of all the bs....

drink+music+game=fun

Medusa
17th September 2010, 05:05 PM
When I first started playing Pure, and then Pulse online, I was a total case of nerves, hard to race with a shaky PSP, LOL! Eventually I relaxed a little, which really helped my racing, then I got to the point where I'm so relaxed while racing that I zone out of the game, not paying full attention because I'm thinking about other things on the side, and let me tell you that doesn't help your game at all. :P
So I'm sayin' a little case of nerves goes a long way, so long as it's not at one extreme or the other.

JABBERJAW
17th September 2010, 10:11 PM
I remember asayeah (arnaud) crying when he first played me on his first trip to America. I think it was nerves

:)

Pure2097
18th September 2010, 01:23 AM
I have to say the only time I've ever had a case of nerves was when I raced yeldar for the first time. I didn't know what to expect other than him zooming away.

As it turned out I held on to his tail for a couple laps and kept 5 seconds behind :g

Asayyeah
23rd September 2010, 03:04 PM
I remember asayeah (arnaud) crying when he first played me on his first trip to America. I think it was nerves

:)
Cheeky burger (blighter/burger it's the same :pizza) !
Al I cried watching a feisar 2097 über powered by gameshark codes extracted from your crazy brain, beating easily an original superfast pirahna on phantom :O

About nerves what can say Ben when you almost killed him by heart attack due to screaming so loud next to his poor ears :paperbag !
:beer