PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout 2097 for Saturn

Unsortient
28th January 2003, 09:22 PM
Whatsup ya'all im a saturn enthusiast and a huge fan of wipeout xl.
I recently got wipeout 2097 for saturn and its not as clean as the psx version but its still definately WipEout.

Some of the weapons look cleaner as well as the billboards. I'm amazed how much it resembles the psx version.

Everyone knows that 3d isnt the saturn forte'. Just play Daytona usa to see what i mean.

Also i know where i can get a negcon controller for like 5 bucks... do u guys think i should? What are the advantages of having one.

Okay chek ya later.

Hydra XL
28th January 2003, 09:55 PM
playing w/ the negcon only adds to the smooth, lofty feel of the wipeout series (particularly xl and 3). the analog turns are tricky at first but once u get them down u can hold down to tilt up and fly higher over the tracks reducing friction that would otherwise slow you down w/ the regular controller.

Unsortient
28th January 2003, 10:59 PM
When is the ideal time to tilt the nose down when racing in wipeout?

Asche XL
28th January 2003, 11:03 PM
You can just hold it the entire time.

Lance
29th January 2003, 02:48 AM
hi Unsortient, welcome to the forums.
about the nose up/nose down attitude control: i try to keep the ship level on flats and easy curves, only changing attitude when it will keep you off a wall or when i'm going up or down a hill, to keep from slowing down due to ''air'' drag because of the ship holding too sharp an angle relative to its line of flight. it's like dragging a parachute behind you if you don't keep aligned pretty much parallel to the track. not that severe of course, but you still want to get every advantage.

i don't know if the Saturn was really as bad at 3D as it's supposed to be; it may have been just a matter of code not being optimised by people who were unfamiliar with the dual processors. they didn't have much time to get used to it. but that's a complicated story i'm not going to get into again here ;)

Unsortient
29th January 2003, 04:26 AM
cool tag :)

Its almost worth buying 2 playstations and a link cable and a copy of wipeout 3 or xl just for the 2 player action. I bet its rad has anyone ever tried it?

Lance
29th January 2003, 03:57 PM
with wipeout3 you can have 4 players in link mode, but ive never tried it; i don't have anyone to play it with. at least one or two of us have done it, though

jmoid
29th January 2003, 04:05 PM
i've linked up 2 ps1s before but that was with someone who didn't really play wipeout so we were playing venom class and he had a piranha and i had qirex + got beaten...

about the nose up/down thing, i usually pull the nose up going into a big turn, and push it down going into a sharp tuen. i've always found it makes cornering easier, but it's a matter of personal preference. i'd definitely recommend trying it though.

DJ Techno
29th January 2003, 07:03 PM
Saturn!

Did you just say Saturn?

As in the Sega Saturn?

The Sega Saturn that I have heard nobody play or use in years?
:P :P :lol:
What's funny about it is that your playing Wipeout XL on a system that I haven't heard used or played in a long time. Except for Thruster he still loves the Sega system

Lance
29th January 2003, 07:33 PM
AmigoJack also has a Saturn, and i think Al [you'll see him here as ZOOLANDER, Unsortient] does, too, so our new member is in good company [not that you need any company. play what you like to play]

xEik
29th January 2003, 09:01 PM
I hava a Saturn too. I planned to buy wipeout for Saturn but 2097 came out for PSX I then planned to buy 2097 for Saturn but then other games came out for PSX that finally made me decide to buy a PSX. The first game I bought was WO2097 Platinum 8).

The battery that saved the games is dead though. So all data is lost every time I switch it off. Never bothered to buy I new battery.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

jmoid
30th January 2003, 04:44 PM
there's just been an article in edge all about the saturn, pretty interesting stuff. the rarer games are becoming quite expensive (IE radiant silvergun £100 - £150)

Unsortient
30th January 2003, 08:20 PM
Yeah i bought Radiant Silvergun and sold it on ebay for like 150.00.$
Another Game i sold was Guardian Heroes by Treasure. I bought it from my friend for 2 bucks and sold it on ebay for 50.00. $(us)

I was playing wipeout 1 the other day on pc. Theres actually a few things i like better than Xl.

Like if u go off a jump u kind of skim on the landing like a pebble across a pond.

I kinda like the more laid back pace also. I cant wait to get my hands on wip3out special edition.

One of the cool things about the Saturn version of 2097 is that when u die or run out of time your craft becomes a burnt out hulk instead of totally exploding.

Unsortient
30th January 2003, 08:45 PM
Sega saturn had a link cable. I know Virtual ON utilized it, i guess Doom did as well. I wonder if wipeout 2097 does as well.

:roll:

That would be pretty sweet..

Lance
30th January 2003, 08:59 PM
i would love to have NIGHTS: Into Dreams.
... and a Saturn to play it on, of course. the game is supposed to be easy to win, but difficult and exhilarating to play really well.

Unsortient: WO3 SE is a PAL region game; do you have the hardware to play those?

xEik
30th January 2003, 09:15 PM
I have Nights: Into Dreams and the bizarre controller it came with. I don't consider it to be a great game. Just OK. I must say that the background music is very good and relaxing. The problem is that I expected it to be a 3D game but you fly in a closed circuit. And the stages are very limited in time since you have to finish them before waking up. In a nutshell, it's more eye candy than playability.

Sonic team has done better games. :-?

Lance
30th January 2003, 11:22 PM
okay. [marks down xEik's review on the other side of the screen in the ''nay'' column]

xEik
31st January 2003, 09:14 AM
I'm not saying it's a bad game. What I mean is that it didn't come up to the expectations it had arisen when it came out (that's when I bought it). It's like those people who say Fusion isn't as good as they expected but it's still worth playing.

In fact I guess this game was developped by SEGA to try to shut the mouth of those who said Saturn could'nt manage well 3D worlds.

Oh and I rarely trust other people's opinion when gaming is involved. My preferences are ususally too different from the ones of those I know ;) (do you remember one topic in which I said I preferred European games and all of my friends would say USA or Japan?).

Lance
31st January 2003, 03:51 PM
i take other opinions into consideration, but i don't let them affect me too much. i'm me; there are certain things i like. other opinions can give me an idea of how well done a game is, but whether a person likes or dislikes it depends on both the nature of the game and the nature of the person. i know from the start that there are things about this game i will like, and i also know that i am not generally a platform gamer, so that will limit how much i like it. in a sense, though, combat games such as soul calibur and tekken are platform games, but i enjoy them a lot. it depends on the tasks that have to be performed to pass a stage. as i understand it, NIGHTS requires flying the character through paths of rings while collecting objects, and there is a time limit. that time limit is what would likely keep the gameplay interesting for me, as it is something like racing. you have perform quickly and accurately. also, since i have a lot of child sensibility in me, the graphics and storyline appeal to me. so, in the end it comes down to my basic likes plus how well the mechanics of the game work. that last part is what reviewers can tell me. online game sites can show me the graphics so i know if i like them. if cash is limited, then i need all that information; but if i'm loaded with spare cash at the moment, i think ''this looks like it might be cool, i'm gonna try it''

AmigoJack
1st February 2003, 10:24 AM
i do love my saturn - of course. one may not forget that there are a few great and very rare games for it, like:

- bug
- panzer dragoon zwei / saga
- virtua cop / 2

...and of course wipEout 2097. i think its a 1 player game only, so its also no use for a linkcable.

@Unsortient: if you plan to buy the first wipEout for saturn also, be aware of a little "bug" which makes the game way more easier :roll: