PDA

View Full Version : Video help for a college project.

Hybrid Divide
24th January 2003, 05:20 PM
I have a request.
For my Desktop Video class, I'll be doing a commercial for WipEout 3. Complete with game footage and whatnot. I need your help though. You know how in the old playstation commercials, at the end, the logo would form and someone would say
"Playstation"?

I need that piece of video with that logo animation, and the sound. In a decent quality as well. In a format I can edit, like MPEG.

All help is MUCH appreciated!

Than-Ku in advance.

Wiseman
26th January 2003, 04:10 AM
I did a PSX promotional peice back when I was in college.

I'll look and see if I can find it, I know I used that at the end of it.

I don't know if the quality is going to be good enough for you though, as our teacher wanted us to do everything in 320*240 (grrrr).

EDIT: I found it. It's in 640*480 and the quality is stellar. It's in Quicktime format though, is that O.K. with you?

Hybrid Divide
26th January 2003, 10:09 AM
That'll do fine Wiseman. :D

I think my program can edit quicktime.

Send me an email at Vagrant_Logic@hotmail.com and we can figure out how to transfer this.

Than-Ku!
VL

Wiseman
26th January 2003, 10:07 PM
I should be able to email it to you directly. It's only 91.3K zipped.

Unzipped it's something like 1.92MB, so hopefully you have WinZip, or something that can open zip files.

xEik
26th January 2003, 10:24 PM
I can't believe that a video encoding technique can produce files whose size can be reduced more than ten times by only using loseless compression like zip.

It's just shameful. :roll: :-?

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Wiseman
26th January 2003, 10:31 PM
It is kinda of suprising that WinZip was actually able to compress a file good for once, usually it pretty much doesn't do any compressing at all, LOL.

My best guess is that it could do it so well because of the mostly black background. And the fact that the audio is mostly silent, save for the electronic sounding dude saying "Playstation!"

xEik
26th January 2003, 11:56 PM
A good video compression technique has as its last step some kind of loseless technique similar to zip. MPEG does: after performing lossy compression it tries to remove any residual redundancy that the file could still have. That's why you'll never win anything by compressing with zip or rar an MPEG video.

With JPEG images it's more or less the same, don't try to compress them, it has already been done. ;)

Hybrid Divide
27th January 2003, 12:10 AM
This is GREAT Wiseman! How did you do it?

I noticed that the colors are just a bit off, but that's no matter!
Thanks a million! You're a life saver!

Wiseman
27th January 2003, 12:37 AM
Funny thing is though, is that it is in MPEG format. Looking at the file in Quicktime, it says "MPEG B". Who knows what I was thinking of at the time I did it (which was quite while back ago) but it's probably what our teacher wanted, or something.

Unfortunately, at the time, Premiere did not allow you to compress the sound in MPEG as well, so you had to use something else, our teacher wanted us to use IMA 4:1, which is what was used in that file.

If what you say is true, Xeik, then most of the filesize might of come from the sound, and that is what it compressed.

Anyway, Vagrant, glad I could help. The colors being off probably came into play when I touched it up, or I guess it could also of been from the crappy Macs we had to use to capture them at the time.

Lance
27th January 2003, 02:52 AM
i am happy to use this, my 1200th post in these forums, to take note of the wonderful spirit that we find in the members of the wipeoutzone, a group almost unique in my experience of the internet. they go that extra distance to help each other. 'Wiseman' demonstrates this yet again. thanks, G

Synthetic Consciousness
27th January 2003, 11:59 AM
Good show, old chap! 8)

xEik
27th January 2003, 05:09 PM
IMA 4:1 appears to be a format that offers good quality but only a 4:1 fixed compression ratio no matter if the original sound is very rich or very redundant.

I guess that, being the sound mostly silent, there was a lot of redundancy that this fixed compression ratio technique left there. This would be why winzip could compress it that much.

However, it still seems weird to me that it succeeded to get a compression ratio bigger than 10 when the normal compression ratio for loseless techniques on video or audio is around 5 (sometimes 4, sometimes 10). If you consider that the video couldn't be compressed and the audio was already compressed by four it seems therefore weird to say the least.

Those who don't believe me just take an MP3 song, a JPEG image and an MPEG video; try to compress them (individually) and look at their properties, I'm sure you won't get a file that is smaller than 97% of the original.

Hybrid Divide
27th January 2003, 05:31 PM
I'd just like to extend another Than-Ku to everybody here. You guys are great.
You've all helped me on various projects throughout the last 1.5 years or so. Hopefully someday, I'll be able to return the favor eh?

Cheers! :D

VL

Dragon
29th January 2003, 12:36 AM
OMG, at this rate i'll never get to 1200 posts or i'll be 60yrs old by the time i do lol.