PDA

View Full Version : Your Online Racing Tactics

Danterich
28th July 2010, 11:31 AM
(I prefer) offensive (Successful Pacifist) :g
or defensive (Most aggressive):evil

yeldar2097
28th July 2010, 12:10 PM
Used to race and make a point about not using weapons but now I've found it's just easier and less hassle if you shoot people as much as possible :)

It does depend who I'm racing though, there are some people I won't shoot and some people I will go out of my way to DESTROY :twisted.
Depends how much I like you :P

Kyonshi
28th July 2010, 12:23 PM
Totally offensive.

Throw down everything i got. I lay down Mines and Bombs even when i'm way up ahead. I must win. I'm most satisfied to have a "Most Aggressive" and "Most Accurate" badges. I could shot down someone with a Missile, pass on another pick-up and if its a drop weapon, i will take the time position myself so that when i'm passing the guy, i will lay Mines/Bombs right in his/her face :P

Sometimes my urge of winning can lead me to my demise; i will mostly BR to catch up to the leader even if it means my Energy meter will show 0 :banzai But that's how i am, i give everything i got!

This said, it doesn't mean i'm a mindless killer.:lol In fact, my piloting is more strategic. My favorite weapon is Turbo. I strive to achieve the best racing line possible, and always keep a Turbo for a key-portion of the track to execute a rewarding BR.

DreamyElf
28th July 2010, 12:33 PM
@danterich
are you joking mate?
you always eliminate me with your quakes and missiles! XD

@kyonshi
we raced some days ago and i have to say that you are a little aggressive... :D

i would like an option in poll like "balanced" and one "it depends on the opponent"... :)

personally, i choose those two options. :) (defensive on poll)

IDReaper
28th July 2010, 12:51 PM
Offensive, not really aggressive though. I usually pick my shots and wait for the time when it would be most detrimental to my opponent. I value accuracy and timing a lot =D.

When I get in front the game changes, I attempt to turtle with mines and shields and pick up hording. Keep my opponents slower than me type of thing.

It varies really, depends where I'm at in the field. The closer I get to the front the more my tactics change from offense to defense.

Colonel
28th July 2010, 01:28 PM
Offensive, it's usually the only chance I have of keeping up!

Danterich
28th July 2010, 01:31 PM
@danterich
are you joking mate?
you always eliminate me with your quakes and missiles! XD

i would like an option in poll like "balanced" and one "it depends on the opponent"... :)

I better should have added the poll options :
-balanced
-it depends on the opponent
-it depends on music playlist:redface:

OBH
28th July 2010, 01:41 PM
I race with complete and utter disregard to my own safety :) Fire all weapons, BR at almost every given opportunity, absorb only when I have to, and even slow down to rocket 2nd place if i feel i have to.

Im sure somone must have noticed that if i die in a race, its often not only just once :D

Danterich
28th July 2010, 02:10 PM
Delete me

blackwiggle
28th July 2010, 03:04 PM
My window of optimum piloting skills is relatively small these days.
Say about 6-7 races and I'm usually warmed up enough to cause some grief :), depends on the opposition on how I race the next 20-25 races before my form starts fading.
Not being much of a BR fan, let alone expert, my need to absorb is dependent on damage taken, either from others weapons/ramming or me totally stuffing up an attempted shortcut :blarg , so I might as well use them, but my definition of "Defensively" is more along the lines of self preservation than anything else.
In other words "get them before they get you" :D

Dark_Phantom_89
28th July 2010, 03:52 PM
I'll have to admit - I'm an offensive racer. If there is someone in front of me and I have some rockets, then expect me to use them :twisted

tug_14
28th July 2010, 04:39 PM
well , offensive ... defensive
i think using bomb or mines is defensive way
i m racing without shooting if i don't need to for victory
im racving without mine or bomb when im first end let challenger freeway to come back and shoot me 8) , i like challenge ^^
and as yeldar , sometime , im angry and shoot everything or pilot i don'like to much ( miners and bombers )
And finally , in official meeting like double or xpand ... im using all weapon on tactical way to get the better result for me and my friend

i know my english is poor :g

Kyonshi
28th July 2010, 05:10 PM
[...]and even slow down to rocket 2nd place if i feel i have to.

This.

Yeah i do use some sandbagging as well against any fierce 2nd place who won't let me be. Even better, i will wait until the pilot passes me in a curve so the banking ship have its side facing me, allowing the 3 rockets to hit on its full length. Veeeery effective in a way that he'll be stopped to complete stalemate for 50 years. :D

LOUDandPROUD
28th July 2010, 05:16 PM
Offensive, not really aggressive though. I usually pick my shots and wait for the time when it would be most detrimental to my opponent. I value accuracy and timing a lot =D.

When I get in front the game changes, I attempt to turtle with mines and shields and pick up hording. Keep my opponents slower than me type of thing.

It varies really, depends where I'm at in the field. The closer I get to the front the more my tactics change from offense to defense.

That's exactly how I play, as well! :+

I will say this though...and I'm embarrassed to admit it, but... When playing in a field of top pilots (i.e. pilots that are better than me), such as during Avalon, I will generally resist much BR'ing while also doing lots of absorbing. This is because I know I have almost no shot to out-pilot the top folks in pure fashion, but I know that they all BR fiercely to keep up with each other and attempt world records. What that means is that many (most?) of them will end up being eliminated one or twice during the race, while I rarely will because I keep my energy high, which is the means by which I "catch up". So, when you see me consistently finishing in the middle of the pack (or top three, which is a rarity) of a crowded room of aces, that's how I do it... :redface:

Amorbis
28th July 2010, 05:28 PM
I'll usually try and use all of my weapons and barrel roll when possible, quite similar to OBH. I don't ever try any wacky rolls when I'm low on health though, as I'll always try to have over 30 points of energy.

I'd never slow down to hit someone as I know that I'd probably mess it up and end up losing quite badly. Instead if I know someone is close I might keep a weapons until they try to overtake. My strategy is offensive within reason, which doesn't really work all that well. :|

stinkleroy
28th July 2010, 06:15 PM
It does depend who I'm racing though, there are some people I won't shoot and some people I will go out of my way to DESTROY :twisted.
Depends how much I like you :P

Aw you shot me loads during Avalon...I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight :cold

I'm a defensive racer, don't like weapons much anymore because they tend to ruin my races :p I like to think that being a defensive racer provides a much better atmosphere for everyone else to race in but it usually ends in my demise...too bad ;)

yeldar2097
28th July 2010, 07:09 PM
That's because you didn't come to my house. If ACE had shown his face online I'd have shot him good n proper too :P

Retribution is a beautiful thing :g

SaturnReturn
28th July 2010, 07:28 PM
Erm...neither option suits me really. I can be mean, but if I am it's more to do with luck or what weapons I get. If I get a quake, I'm not likely to absorb it. If I get a plasma, I'm not likely to absorb it if there's someone right in front of me. So if I get a quake and it slows someone down right in front of me, and then I straight away get a plasma then I'm shooting.

I try not to blast rockets at people when I'm not caught up in a barge-fest, because they're way harsh. I try to absorb at least half the mines and bombs I get and not drop them at all if someone is way behind, but if I'm having a bad day then I might be a bit evil and drop one on the first corner. I have no qualms at all about using bombs and mines if someone I hear 'missile' or 'rockets' though - so i guess that's offensive defence.

In general I'm a bit of both. I don't purposely avoid using weapons, but am fairly sure my most used pickups are still boost and shield.

Now, in a team game I'm quite different. I try not to drop anything at all if I have less than two opposition in a row right behind me. I avoid quakes unless only opposition are ahead, or if the team is in a bad position and the quake looks like the last hope for a turnaround. I wouldn't use many plasmas because that is valuable shield energy if absorbed and waiting for the right time to use it against an opponent could prevent me from getting something I needed right then and there. Basically a lot more purposeful and tactical, with far less intention to get myself to the front, and more protecting points.

EDIT: Pretty much the same as tug, now that I read it back.

Aeroracer
28th July 2010, 10:55 PM
my race strategy is.....

im a blouse tbo..
a lover not a fighter..i just like going around and around..

if i have a good lead i even deliberatly do not use bombs or mines just in case it upsets the other players and they wont play again..

I only shoot players in self defence..

this is a really bad attitude to have for a competative player..no one can ever get to the top with my attitude..but im happy maybe even as happy as the players i play against knowing they have an advantage over me if they have a play to win mentality..

i do try to do shortcuts and all the tricks to cut my time down and i never give up..i also try to play safe and not to give away races my exceeding my limitations..
most races i lose was simply down to superior players and not self defeat..which is common in this game..

i aslo think things through such as if i was on start grid on vinetta and i felt i wasnt going to get the first pad i wouldnt go for it i would SS tight to the wall and go for the second one as most players all go for it so it seems from my races..

ACE-FLO
29th July 2010, 12:45 AM
Retribution is a beautiful thing :g

yeeees, i recall my 'Use of Weapons' slowing you down quite a bit :g hehe, but um - you'll have to wait til doubles league to exact your revenge bud, i dont go online much these days... v-chat compression sessions are the thing for me atm, hust got out of one with a full room of blazers too :D good times.

On topic. i use weapons dependant on situation, blah blah - but I'll say this, I love using rockets, and cannons - and usually absorb autopilots and missiles... dodgint a missile is easy, rockets though...

See, you can hear a missile coming up close behing you, and if you got a Blue (bomb or mines) and drop them at the right time, the missile will hit the Blue instead. Works most times. Rockets are harder to evade (in the tight pilots experience) and are harder to recover from also. Having said that, a well timed turbo can get you away from some pretty sticky situations too.

I sometimes feel like a total bastard when I rocket someone who is taking the 90degrere turn (last bend on Talons fwd usually) and I slam them into the wall, only for them to get hit and barged and scraped by everyone and everything thats following behind me, its a real bitch move, but if you wanna come first - sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, I guess ;)

Temet
29th July 2010, 07:38 AM
Being always last... I'm kinda forced to be defensive... slaloming among mines and bombs ... humpf :brickwall

haiku
30th July 2010, 09:22 PM
I don't use weapons on newer/lower ranking players because I feel like if I win those races, it is more legitimate. When I am racing superior pilots, weapons are the only chance I have.

That said, I still never use plasma or cannons.

Connavar
30th July 2010, 10:53 PM
I always use weapons, because:

Against good players, it's my only chance of winning.
Hitting with a plasma, can really change the outcome of a race.

And against bad players, I give them one chance to win against me, by trying
to destroy them till the very end of the race.

icarasDragon
30th July 2010, 11:40 PM
I usually take it as it comes making sure to make best use of the pickups on track. It also depends on who i'm racing, as higher ranking players need a bit of a shove to get out of the way :twisted

crawdad62
31st July 2010, 03:50 AM
I race with complete and utter disregard to my own safety :) Fire all weapons, BR at almost every given opportunity, absorb only when I have to, and even slow down to rocket 2nd place if i feel i have to.

Im sure somone must have noticed that if i die in a race, its often not only just once :D

Me too. I completely blast away. I don't BR that much but as far as artillery goes it's balls to the wall.

afuroKy
1st August 2010, 04:04 PM
My racing tactics :g :

- Shoot only the leader
- play defensive against the leader's chasers, don't slow them down
- Use bombs and mines only if Im 1st
- Quake everybody :twisted

DJ Techno
6th August 2010, 03:49 PM
Oshoot first

keep shooting

be great. With the machine cannon.

Mines n bombs are a waist for last use.

I shoot those down n then shoot u. Making iu look rediculous for trying it.
Made some body online mad n he called in help. Even his help were shot down. When i used full breaks to rear end into a icuras. Leave the bomb close to us. We both got hit. But i lived

billychanxtr33m
6th August 2010, 05:48 PM
im about 50/50. i think im pretty handy with weapons, and if i get a good shot i am going to take it. then again, dying almost always means loss, so i keep my energy above a certain threshold. i also tend to use shields instead of absorbing them because a quake or lapped bombs could always be around the corner.

Nutcase:259
6th August 2010, 06:20 PM
i like to place the bombs on speed pads and then swerve all over the place to to cover the width of the track in mines :P (which i imagine is probably quite annoying :lol ). when i get in the lead i generally absorb anything that isn't a speed boost and just focus on hitting those speed pads. :rock

Pure2097
18th August 2010, 11:55 AM
I don't use weapons at all.

Turbos and shields are ok but I don't like using weapons at all it slows me down. I like focusing on the actual racing you know?

MetaKraken
21st August 2010, 01:55 PM
My best tactics, besides using the AG-Systems and Icaras fury ships, is for me to pick the best Fury ship that suits certain tracks well and end up in 3rd, 2nd or 1st and the Weapons, making sure it won't be against you.