PDA

View Full Version : any Mopedophiles on the board? (Honda, Puch, Tomos, etc)

AG-wolf
27th July 2010, 04:00 PM
I realize there are many other forums online for this kinda of subculture, but I'm just curious how wide it may spread...

I acquired a 1977 Puch Newport (aka Maxi, just looks classier) toward the end of last year, and have only now begun to do anything to it at all. I hope to have it running again by the end of the week, depending on when some new parts arrive in the mail.

it has a lot of issues which need to be addressed, both functional and cosmetic, but it has no detrimental drivetrain problems... it just needs to be spruced-up a bit (a lot).

Has anyone else here been bitten by the bug, as it were? There's a lot of charm in these silly things, and it's rewarding when you see the results of your work and effort.

(edit, the "mopedophiles" comment is a joke, I don't know what the fanatics really call themselves :P )

Lance
28th July 2010, 03:04 PM
I am neither a pedophile [no matter what KIGO says] nor a Mopedophile. I find the machines interesting in their design, but I'd generally rather ride a bicycle. The mopeds are not fast enough to keep up with traffic, but because they're motorised, most American drivers probably think they are fast enough to be treated as equals in acceleration ability and speed. Most American motorists know nothing about them because they are almost non-existent in most parts of the U.S., and that is certainly the case here in Florida. Despite my advanced age, I don't feel like dying yet, so I'd best keep biking, walking, or catching a ride in a car.

mic-dk
29th July 2010, 06:27 AM
Ah yes... The Maxi... I never really got into mopeds even though many of the people around me at the time did nothing else. I made the jump directly to motorcycles.. :)

I saw a a very interesting movie that touches the subject. It's a movie about a group of young men (20ies) that ride their mopeds from Odense, Denmark to somewhere in Poland - I forget the exact location.

On the surface it's just another road movie, but some of the interviews are pretty deep and it gets quite extensiensal in the dark of the polish woods. The vodka helps too. I found a trailer here: http://www.devildehjerter.dk (http://www.devildehjerter.dk/)/ (De Vilde Hjerter - The Wild Hearts) - I'll try to find a subtitled version if that exists. The dialogue is in danish but the pictures kinda speak for them selves...

*** Added Warning ***
The movie in the link contains some brief, male nudity. The private bits have been blacked out in this clip, but I guess a nekkid bottom could still cause offence somewhere in the world.