PDA

View Full Version : Is Sony changing the PSN or is this a scam?

blackwiggle
22nd July 2010, 05:04 AM
I just visited the Aus/NZ Playstation forum and they had just put a competition up to win a Sony Vario laptop.
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/WIN-an-E-Series-Sony-VAIO-Laptop/td-p/11187989

It seems legit as it's a well know moderator that has put the post up.
Ok I thought, I'll have a go, so I followed the link.
It asks you to enter your PSN user name and password, then this is where it gets weird, it takes you to another page and tells you that to enter the comp you have to start a new PSN account and your old one will be cancelled.
It all seems very suspicious to me so I have asked for an explination.
I'm not going to enter the comp till I get one.

I just though I'd post this as a heads up in case this sort of post appears at another official Playstation site in say the UK or USA.

If anybody knows what's going on with this please post.

Darkdrium777
22nd July 2010, 05:22 AM
Please make a screen cap of what you see after you sign in 'cause I can't see it. Region restriction and stuff.

amplificated
22nd July 2010, 06:59 AM
http://au.playstation.com/psn/competitions/detail/item294075/WIN-an-E-Series-VAIO/

Where does it say that you have to cancel your account? I see:

Previous au.playstation.com accounts are no longer valid, and you will need to login below using a PlayStation Network ID. Once you have signed in, you can transfer your old account information and setup your own au.playstation.com profile.

I'm pretty sure the old accounts were not tied to the PSN in any way. This way they can just track you much more easily and when they ban you for whatever they feel like, it can take place for all your playstation related products.

blackwiggle
22nd July 2010, 07:02 AM
No response from the poster yet, but somebody else has obviously tried it and has posted this.

Based on your PlayStation Network details, you are not eligible to enter this competition. This may be due to individual country laws regarding minimum age and competition entry requirements. FAIL!

So I'm guessing the Moderator who put it up, or Sony Aus/NZ don't know WTF they are doing regarding this promotion, as the link must be taking you to a overseas Sony site, where the Aus/NZ PSN ID's you are asked to enter are not recognized.

What a balls up, somebody is going to get flamed to bits at the forum, my money is on Sony Aus copping it for not checking the comps links/entry conditions.

AMPILCATED
When you click on the links it takes you to a page where you put in your PSN name & password, then it takes you to another site that asks you to create a new account and the old will be canceled.

DreamyElf
22nd July 2010, 07:22 AM
it should be best if you avoided at all BW!
i think in the user agreement when you sign for psn there is paragraph that says: "Sony will never ask any of you personal information".
so asking you to cancel your current account seems very strange at least.

KIGO1987
22nd July 2010, 08:36 AM
O_o

i saw this on the official site a few days ago and i entered the draw.

it did have the enter your email and password on the site, then again quite a few things on that site you need to do that.

Nothing has changed with my PSN account details atm. Shows you need to read stuff, then read it again when in competitions like this. Wouldnt mind a computer with Win7 on it, buggered if im wasting another 2k on a new laptop.

Tell you what, what an epic stuff up!

mdhay
22nd July 2010, 09:45 AM
How much does £676 change to in AUD? (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPCEB1S0E-15-5-inch-Notebook-i3-330M/dp/B00366OJ4S)

KIGO1987
22nd July 2010, 10:23 AM
Around $1400 to $1500 AUD. depending on the current exchange rate.

amplificated
22nd July 2010, 10:38 AM
1,167.65 AUD actually

KIGO1987
22nd July 2010, 10:43 AM
Thank you for that exchange rate correction. 0.45 or something wasnt clear.

Plus a bit more considering the shipping of the units, and that retail stores by there items in advanced usually at fixed pricing for each quarter.

Darkdrium777
22nd July 2010, 04:05 PM
This is definitely legit Sony stuff though. I had made Firefox remember my password for anything PSN related on the computer, and when it asked to sign in it put them in automatically. So it's definitely legit.
But like I said, I can't see past that login screen, region locked to Australia.

blackwiggle
23rd July 2010, 08:56 AM
I don't know WTF is going on with this threads link, I know it's locked so only Aus people can enter the comp, and some guy has just posted that he has managed to do it....Ppfffhh :brickwall

I just posted this which will explain my situation atm :)

Sorry I can't resist after trying yet again.:Wink:.

I'm getting this now.

We are unable to provide the page requested. To continue browsing playstation.com, you can try returning to the Home Page or using search

QUOTE from comp.
Why do you want to win an E Series VAIO Notebook?*

ENTRY Answer [if I could actually enter]
Because I smashed my computer in frustration while trying to enter this competition, the caps lock is stuck and the space bar fell off.

Actually I should of wrote like this.
BECAUSEISMASHEDMYCOMPUTERINFRUSTRATIONWHILETRYINGT OENTERTHISCOMPETITION,THECAPSLOCKISSTUCKANDTHESPAC EBARFELLOFF

KIGO1987
23rd July 2010, 10:19 AM
I did one better with my line i wrote to Sony with the Vaio competition.

"i have a windows vista based computer since 2008 its been doing my head for ever, with a new Sony Vaio laptop, i get my hair back on my head, and everyone wins:)"

Serious, thats what i did write to them. Whoever reads its is going to have a good lol over it.