PDA

View Full Version : BR/speed pads

JABBERJAW
17th July 2010, 12:34 PM
on yeldar's test there was roughly a .2 second difference on barrel rolls

Leungbok said there is a .15-.30 difference depending on pitch up, down ect

karsten said there was a .4 difference for BR and a .2 for speed pads

Now, I would think that you hit more speed pads when you don't barrel roll, so it would seem that sometimes it would be faster to not barrel roll (if you were to have two speed pads you could hit maybe and not hit if you were to br)?

Also, what time difference does a straight boost give you? is it more or less than a barrel roll?

not counting shortcuts of course like chenghou reverse

Rezatron
17th July 2010, 02:02 PM
A boost is definitely faster than a BR. About speed pads, it isn't as simple as going over them. The closer to the center you go over them the more speed you pick up (is this the same in other WOs?). This is especially evident on slower speeds but not as much on Rapier and Phantom.

JFthebestJan
17th July 2010, 04:52 PM
About speed pads, The closer to the center you go over them the more speed you pick up
that's absolutely right, if u SS over the center of a SP, u'll gain the highest possible speed (w/o BR or turbo). combine it with a BR or a turbo and u have max speed

Reezy
17th July 2010, 05:55 PM
Isn't this because if you only go over the edge of a speed pad you're not touching it as long as you would if you hit the centre? Or is it more complicated than that.

SaturnReturn
17th July 2010, 05:59 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Did NOT know that. That yeldar guy was always telling me to sideshift over pads and I didn't really get why I would want to do that instead of just going over them normally. Now it makes sense.:redface:

JFthebestJan
17th July 2010, 06:21 PM
SS in general is the wipers most effective "weapon".
that doesn't mean some1 should spam SS everytime it's available. ;)
training is the key to success, like everywhere else too

JABBERJAW
17th July 2010, 08:42 PM
I knew the ss works in pure like that, didn't know it was the same in HD. nice

amplificated
17th July 2010, 09:54 PM
IMO, it's to do with the time you spend touching the speed pad that makes the biggest difference to how fast you're going, and it's obviously going to be marginal.

I think most BR's in the game will be faster than even a double SP, but there really aren't that many BR's to be made at the cost of any double SP's anyway from my recollection. Usually it's actually the SP that gives you enough speed to make another BR.

I also think that the way the track is shaped and your pitch affects how fast you can take certain BR's and SP's, so you need to take the most appropriate lines for what you're going for, as the best line for going through a corner may not be the best line for making a BR, and BR's are *nearly* always faster if you can accomodate them into the basic line for the track. The only one I can think of on Venom that's slower than a proper line is the last BR possible off the right hand side lip on Tech De Ra forward. There may be a way to make it work, but from my experience it takes too much speed off you by hitting it, and it takes you off the optimal line for the corner.

JABBERJAW
17th July 2010, 10:57 PM
on chenghou for pure, you can barrel roll a crap-load of times, but it is slower than just doing the either 2 or three barrel rolls that are normally done,

leungbok
18th July 2010, 09:46 AM
Hummm, not sure, i made a 25.68 lap on chengou pure thanks to 7 BR !

haiku
18th July 2010, 11:45 PM
The closer to the center you go over them the more speed you pick up

EVERYTHING I KNOW IS WRONG.

And to think, those countless times when I thought I was being really clever by just catching half the speed pad and half the pick up so I could get both at once.

My next few dozens races will be delightful disasters now as I try and hit every speed pad dead center.

JABBERJAW
19th July 2010, 03:50 AM
I didn't record my races, but I am sure I got in the 25's quite a few times on a standard lap in tt by pitching foward alot, and the standard 2or3 (I forgot) barrel rolls. This was without a turbo in the beginning of the lap. I saw that video, and thought that the barrel rolls were actually slowing ou down on the long gradual turn, because the ship slows down so much to be able to do them. After the tourney, I'll try some testing myself with this one. How many barrel rolls on sebenco pure (leungbok) I do have this one recorded(the full race)

leungbok
19th July 2010, 07:03 AM
8 BR for 24.86 personal best lap.

Connavar
23rd July 2010, 07:10 AM
Oh damn, I didn't know it mattered where you hit the speed pad...
good news actually :)

ProblemSolver
23rd July 2010, 08:48 AM
lol me neither. Who ever found that out Thumbs Up! :+

Time to rewrite the record table... ;)

yeldar2097
23rd July 2010, 01:20 PM
Hmmm interesting. Not sure it makes that much of a difference at phantom but it may well do in other classes...

Time to whip out my labcoat n safety specs and run some tests ^^

amplificated
23rd July 2010, 02:16 PM
I'm very sure the difference is miniscule on every speed class.